• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
-When holding onto a ledge, A/B is to attack, R/L is for a far roll, and a tap of the control stick is for a short roll.

-Link and Samus' grapples can be used in the air to latch onto edges, and cause damage.

-When in special fall, the controller rumbles

Steelia

Smash Champion
If you hold L + R and press the START button in any pre-match screens (Choose Your Character, Event Matches, Adventure Mode/All-Star Mode/Classic Mode starting screen, choosing a stage screen, etc.), after a short black-screen pause you will be taken back to the Main Menu (hovering over the 1-P Mode bar).

I think that qualifies.

Magus420

Smash Master
Actually, you can and are almost guaranteed to shieldstab Yoshi when hitting him before he gets into his egg if they do less than a full shield input before getting the button pressed down all the way. When it switches actions it cancels his invincibility and glitches up his shield size and it turns into a tiny dot that barely covers anything at all.

L__

Smash Master
If you hold X + Y + Start, your controller resets itself. It's as if you unplugged then replugged in your controller.

You can do this during pretty much anything.
I think.

[I don't think this is limited to Melee, I'm not sure though. Melee is my only Gamecube game.]

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
When you hit a certain percent and your holding the ledge, doing a get up attack, rolling up the ledge or whatever, it's all much SLOWER getting up.

This happens at like 90%+ i think?

I wouldn't think this is something people dont know but I taught this to some friends that have been playing competitve with me for awhile a couple months ago lol, so you never know.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
100%+

My friend complains that the only reason I get the edgehog was cause Marth has a super slow roll after 100% (which he does.)

I don't like it sometimes though, cause I can't use Bowser's beast get-up attack after 100%

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The break happens at 99%. Once you reach triple digits you do the slow versions of ledge stand, ledge attack, ledge roll, and ledge jump.

Also, most (if not all) characters ledge attacks occupy the ledge for a much longer period of time than their ledge stands (Marth's is VERY noticable.) They don't have that much more lag either :p

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Talking about get up attacks and get up rolls from the ledge.

Again with proper precision, you can hit an opponent while he is trying to get up attack or roll from the ledge. (He is not invulnerable through the whole flashing animation) There are certain frames while he is doing the animation of rolling or get up attack in which you can hit him, very useful sometimes. It's surprising. =) You have to know the timing though. But with Ganon his aerial stay out so long especially the backair that it generally hits always.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've done that a lot Kage. It's funny how a simple Ganon bair can often cover getup attack, stand up, ledgejump, ledgehop anything, and even the roll sometimes lol. Insane crazy.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've done that a lot Kage. It's funny how a simple Ganon bair can often cover getup attack, stand up, ledgejump, ledgehop anything, and even the roll sometimes lol. Insane crazy.
lol Hell ya, it's <3. =P Ganon is probably the best character to pressure the guy while he is on the ledge too.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
time to make a large bowser post

a few bowser tidbits - some of them i'm honestly not sure about - and some of them i can't remember the exact frames (it's been a while!)

Bowser (non stage specific)

Bowser has the fastest air dodge in the game - tied with peach - at only 3 frames (possibly 4 I can't remember - but it's faster than everyone else)

Bowser is actually a semi-floaty very heavy character so he actually has surprisingly LOW hitstun when attacked
(and while extremely comboable, many "standard" combos do not actually LINK on Bowser. For example - fox up throw up air can't be linked together if bowser reacts perfect he can airdodge before the hits - same with dthrow-> knee from falcon)

Bowser's <100% getup attack starts it's invincibility on frame 1 and has full invulnerability until he returns to the starting position

Bowser's <100% getup attack is the longest reaching getup attack - and is one of the longest reaching attacks in the game

Bowser's <100% getup attack will "hold the ledge" (meaning you can't grab it) until AFTER he can start moving (speculation - in short it lasts forever because he looks like he's off of it when he's returning to the ledge in his shell)

Bowser's fair has the longest lag of any fair in the game - tied with DK's fair (again - i THINK)

Bowser does not have the only airgrab - kirby captain falcon and ganon can all grab from the skies - although bowser's is the most versatile

Bowser has the most THROWS in the game - fthrow dthrow bthrow uthrow klawfthrow klawbthrow

Wiggling out of Bowser's klaw grab is NOT affected by your percent. AT ALL. You can wiggle out just as fast at 999% as you can at 0%.

Bowser's Klaw will only land if you are RIGHT next to Bowser - if you're any further away the klaw becomes a 'standard' attack - with a lot of lag - but a decent chance of shield poking (angles!)

Bowser's Klaw is the only throw in the game where you can cancel the pummel animation to throw your opponent - this is useful for making people miss di by forcing them to try to wiggle out

Bowser's Klaw ALWAYS has ONE correct way to di - regardless of your percent you should di in the direction bowser is facing - this will cause him to be unable to combo off of the fthrow or kill you at low percents from a back throw

Bowser's dthrow does not do damage to gw or jigglypuff

Bowser's dair when edge canceled can combo directly into a fair off the edge!

Bowser can run off the stage, fair without jumping first, and still recover.

Bowser can ledgehop bair away from the edge and still recover.

Bowser's dair hits below the edge - making it a nice flashy edgeguard.

Bowser can use firebreath to thunder (and hold it) and manage to grab after you chose to stop the firebreath

Bowser can thunder -> klaw or thunder -> fsmash (satisfying!)

Bowser has the slowest jumping animation in the game (8 frames? something stupid.) which is why most people consider it "hard" to wavedash with him - even though speaking technically it's the easiest!

Bowser's up smash has 2 seperate attacks - one when he is going up (common and fairly strong) and one when he lands (not very strong but sometimes can be combod out of)

Bowser has several attacks that can be used to dodge and punish in one move - although your spacing has to be fantastic in order to do this. Among those moves are Fsmash and ftilt (dodge front) and up smash (dodge attacks below a platform because of ducking - and even dodge LOW hitting attacks then punish by jumping over like falco's dtilt)

Bowser's up b (is one of the best moves in the game and without it he'd be a big pile of garbage - even with it he's bad) has invinciblitiy frames starting at frame 1 and going until frame 4. The move hits on frame 5.

Bowser's up b does 30 damage in the air

Bowser's up b is one of the hardest moves in the game to shine spike while active.

Bowser can chain grab fast fallers (fox/falco/falcon) with up throw - even if they DI away

Bowser's KLAW forward throw can chain grab fast fallers (with no di)

Bowser can DIRECTLY COMBO into Bowser Bomb on falcon by doing klaw forward throw down b. Falcon must not DI and it only works at high percents (but not high enough where it will kill him)

Bowser's down b has HORRENDOUS priority

Bowser can fortress to grab the edge facing either direction

Bowser can combo a jab into an up tilt (and it looks cool too)

Bowser's back air is a semi-spike that also hits well below the edge - making it one of the best edgegaurding tools in the game

Bowser can only flame cancel in the earliest version of the game - but kirby (with bowser's power) can do it in any version

You CAN (although it is EXTREMELY rare) sweetspot THROUGH bowser's firebreath

Bowser has one of the best sweetspots in the game - making it practically impossible to do old school edgeguards against him and have them land (old school edgeguards meaning just stand there and smash/tilt)

Bowser CAN live from a Ledgetech (jumping or regular) with an up b through proper - albeit extremely difficult timing
Bowser (stage specific)

Bowser's up air is the slowest starting air attack in teh game (i think)

Bowser can down b and grab the ledge with proper spacing

bowser can walljump ledgetech reverse klaw suicide kill against most "old school egeguards" if they DO manage to hit him.

Bowser has one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game - combined with his extremely heavy weight - makes him one of the hardest characters to kill off the side of the map

Bowser only has one 'kick' move - the back of his getup attack while facing down

When rumble is on - bowser makes your controller rumble when you walk or run, and to my knowledge is the only character that has this property. One of the main reasons i play with rumble off =(

STAGE SPECIFIC

It is EXTREMELY difficult to land on the cloud as bowser

on downward slanting edges bowser can edgehog with fortress extremely quickly and easily - facing either direction

On yoshi's story and green greeens a <100% ledgejump (not hop but just pressing jump on teh edge) will more or less "teleport" you onto teh platform next to you so you can attack immediately

On pokemon stadium when the stage changes to the tree segment if you wavedash backwards off the highest platform - hold back - and do an airial you will automatically edge cancel it

On pokemon stadium when the stage transforms to the rock section Bowser's getup attack will only extend a short distance (common characteristic but surprising considering the next fact)

On pokemon stadium when you have the water transformation Bowser's getup attack (from teh right side) will extend to about 1.5 times it's normal length - which is extremely far, and he will not fully return to the edge.

On pokemon stadium on the rock transformation if you do your <100% getup attack you'll fall off the top platform and immediately grab the edge again - allowing you to do rapid getup attacks.

If - while playing adventure - you take Bowser on the first stage until you hit the first spot with water - go to the bottom, and then go as far left as you can - then bowser bomb - you will freeze the game.

bleh i have a lot more but i'm about to leave

enjoy this for now i guess

4% APR

Smash Champion
When rumble is on - bowser makes your controller rumble when you walk or run, and to my knowledge is the only character that has this property. One of the main reasons i play with rumble off =(
Im fairly sure this is true with ganon also. I find it hilarious

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If mewtwos confusion counts as a grab then he can also air grab.

If you disable somebody doing a roll or get up attack from the edge you will instantly knock them back as if they were previously stunned.

Has to be done towards the end when the inv. frames are gone. Too late and they just get disabled, too early and nothing happens. gotta get it just right.

Arcade

Smash Ace
How is it that people still don't know that? Does nobody care about low tiers or what?

Actually that probably is the reason.

Holding the C-stick and then shielding will allow you to roll on the soonest possible frame.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Bowser has several attacks that can be used to dodge and punish in one move...up smash (dodge LOW hitting attacks then punish by jumping over like falco's dtilt)
I really want to see this in action. It sounds so cool.

^Lol @ Good Doctor's sig. I'm gonna miss that putrid hairy back.

Lovage

Smash Hero
try doing g&w's uair very close to the ground, you'll see that you can't l-cancel it and the full animation finishes no matter what you do (unless u edge cancel)

Vanitas

Smash Ace
i actually never knew u couldnt l cancel Game&watchs moves 0_o

i think i might ve watched a video with DJ Nintendo saying that Mewtwos downsmash is the only ground move that L cancels...though i might be wrong

Top Bottom