• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
well
if you do, it's like you get two matches in one

also hugo took about 4 mins vs hbox in his 1-1 match

Pi

Smash Hero
i'll try hbox's jiggs some time
i think i'll try to grab him a lot
yea
that ought to work out good.

it is really bad though
my friend recently adapted the 'bair more' method to playing jiggs
haven't really found a solid approach yet...

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I like the part where all of your potential KO moves besides charge shot will get you rested if the Jiggs shields it.
Yo Alukard I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Wes was one of the best doubleposting Samuseseseses of all time.
OF ALL TIME
Lies, it only took me 4 minutes to lose both games to hbawks.
LOL@All 3 of these ^^^

haven't really found a solid approach yet...
My approach is none. Still doesn't work. :\

Too good Tyser, you're too good.

Edit: Yay Alukard

xbombr

Smash Ace
The only time I every really approach with Samus vs. anyone is if there's a dash cancelled move, NAir, or Dash attack opening.... Everything else is punishment. Jigglypuff isn't really susceptible to any of them if she's played correctly. >_>

I mean there are other approaches that work, but they're covered by missiles and such, but it's not exactly like missiles work against Jiggs at a height where you can run behind them. She can duck under them, float over them, or outprioritize them completely. :(

Pi

Smash Hero
i understand you wanna be agressive
so do i
lol
but try to pick your approaches better vs marth
vs fox...it's even harder imo
or maybe i juss know the marth machup better
the marth was approaching with a lot of fairs
altogether...pretty unpunishable, unless you shield one
ftilt is really really good in this matchup
and you really don't wanna challenge marth from above him
juss get back to the ground
what i like to do with marths is have my back to them in a nice range to predict their jump with a bair at higher %'s to edge guard

try to work on being less predicable when you are getting back onto the stage once you have grabbed the ledge
you have so many options
ledge jump
stand up normally
attack up
roll
release waveland
release waveland off -> dj back on
aerial interrupt!!!! you can actually get an invincible ftilt/jab iirc, i have done this in a real match, very effective, felt like a boss, i hate marth edgeguarding
also i think you should CC more, even though i hate CCing and don't really do it, he was juss wrecking you with high fairs, easily CCdsmashed or dtilt

as far as the fox goes
he was just a bad fox, otherwise i think you would have lost
fox is so much faster than samus, the only time you get get real aggressive against him is when he's on a platform and you're on the ground
otherwise you kinda have to have him approach and predict it and dtilt/dsmash him or something, oh~! wavedash uptilt, i saw you wavedash upsmash which i assumed was a attempted wavedash utilt, wavedash utilt is TOOO GOOOOOOOD

also bomb -> dair wasn't really working against that marth, i can't imagine it works against many people...lol

it's whatever though, looks like you got good control over your char, like the speed and flashyness, but you're taking a lot of hits you shouldn't be taking

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Watching your Samus makes me so happy Alukard, haha. There are always a couple times per match where I'll think I'm watching myself, and then you do something I wouldn't think of and it'll remind me of the differences in our styles (and help me realize what I could do to mix things up/not be predictable). I especially love it when you predict a dash dance behind you and just turn around and grab, or when you space a jab or ftilt and then just run away haha.

The only real "complaint" I ever have is when you try to throw out a bomb -> aerial in places it probably won't work, but I try for even stupider **** so I don't have the right to say anything XD

Geist

Smash Master
Wow Hugs I didn't even know you still played.

That set with Lucky was too good. I need to work on my Fox matchup.
And I don't ever think I've seen you lose to a falco, besides mango

HugS™

Smash Lord
Oh, and as for the jiggly matchup, I used to dabble in platform play only, just hit and run all day, ill bring it back and see how it works. I havent played a good jiggs in a while

Pi

Smash Hero
you made lucky look like a bad player o.O

i definiately would work more wavedash uptilt in your game
it's got real great range and priority, and if he is approaching with an aerial probably wil have bad DI and the best position to have fox in is off the edge so that would be nice

you're edgeguarding is real nice, and i like your confidence with grabs, that's something i need to work on, i almost never grab unless it's with my friends who i know their playstyles too well ._.

i don't see you Dtilt a whole lot, most of my damage on fox usually equates to me wavedashing back and dtilting their predicable approach, any reason for you not using this very often?

also, when you are coming down with bombs, like say fox put you high in the air and is waiting for you to land, it might be worth doing the air dodge -> grapple into a bomb to fake him out, i know i've been using this with quite a bit of success recently

vs dehf/falco in general i REALLLYYYY reccomend practicing power shielding, i'm to the point where i can almost expect a powershield, and wavedash -> follow up, if you were looking to practice something powershielding lasers would be my suggestion

also, on missed tech follow ups, is there a reason that you dash attack? (or seem to more often than other moves) rather than say, dtilt, or dsmash, or fsmash or something?
i know dash attack does set up for other moves, but so does dtilt, is it dependent upon where they are on the map? idk i juss noticed you follow up missed techs with dash attack and was wondering why

also, after a certain % downthrow -> smash attack is usable, DI dependent, not sure how far away they can DI though, might be able to DI far enough away to be able to tech, but it's something to remember since downthrow is relatively fast, although, samus grab should be slow enough for anyone to be able to DI any throw that comes after it lol

errr, still watching & editing, didn't mean to hit reply yet

in the set with DEHF, (this was only 1 instance but i'll mention it any ways), he was on the poke stadium platform, after missing a tech, on kanto, BF, and YS you can Utilt people on platforms, (not sure if it varies on BF or not), but this is something i like to do often if they've missed a tech, or to tech chase them. if you are under them you can pretty solidly cover all of their options, get up/attack up stationary utilt gets those, and if they roll rolls are slow so you can chase with an aerial

not too familiar with the falcon matchup..

Alukard

Smash Hero
i understand you wanna be agressive
so do i
lol

it's whatever though, looks like you got good control over your char, like the speed and flashyness, but you're taking a lot of hits you shouldn't be taking
i like u ... LOL i didn't quote the whole thing so it wont be sooo huge on the page LOL ... but that bold part is the story of my ****ing smash career ... i have too much fun

thanks for the tips vs the fox i remember not really trying and just attempting stupid things LOLOL but thats what i love about samus ... she can be soo creative =] thanks for the marth tips i hate him ... also sheik =[ ima look for some serious matches of my vs sheik ... to see if u or anyone else has useful input

also i have two more matches of me vs swift bass in winners finals of a weekly i would like that judged ... cuz i feel that i lose the control of the match once fox gets the Usmash =\

Watching your Samus makes me so happy Alukard, haha. There are always a couple times per match where I'll think I'm watching myself, and then you do something I wouldn't think of and it'll remind me of the differences in our styles (and help me realize what I could do to mix things up/not be predictable). I especially love it when you predict a dash dance behind you and just turn around and grab, or when you space a jab or ftilt and then just run away haha.

The only real "complaint" I ever have is when you try to throw out a bomb -> aerial in places it probably won't work, but I try for even stupider **** so I don't have the right to say anything XD
***** i love you ... i really want to make it to herb3 ... i hope g$ doesn't ***** out and not drive ... we are going to **** in doubles LOL ... to fast *** green machines LOLOL

these are the matches vs swift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhKFhbSWCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEclnTNd7E

xbombr

Smash Ace
Those Windmill of Fury combos were so legit. lol

I really love the Falco match up. It takes ones who don't fight Samus much a while to realize they can't approach without baiting you out of your shield. I remember in one vid you built up like 60 damage on one stock vs. DEHF with just upb OoS all within like 15 seconds.

Kniht: I think he was just waiting for him to approach more, rather than trying to follow up on PS'd lasers since he was getting an upb out of it almost every time he approached. Most of the time when Falcos are firing lasers and gets hit by one he'll just keep going so it's harder to follow up on and he doesn't break his rythm. Noob Falcos will freak out of course and then you can punish them for whatever stupidity follows. HugS wasn't facing a noob Falco though. If you're actually close enough to get something out of a PS'ed laser (unless you were running) then the Falco isn't doing it right. If he isn't laser spacing, then PS'ing will wreck him. Also, if UpB OoS stopped working so well and DEHF started baiting more, then you probably would have seen more PS'ing though since UpB would become a more dangerous option.

I wish I could play the Falcon match up even half as good as HugS does. :(
I know what I'm supposed to do, but I still lose by at least a stock almost every time I play someone around my level or slightly better.

edit: Green is the color of aggressive Samus.

Pi

Smash Hero
PS'ing lasers doesn't only rely on the falco freaking out, it also allows you to close distance, mess up his spacing, and make him reset his spacing

you can't hide in your shield vs falco too much because he can space a dtilt which will eat under your shield, and his dair which would eat your head if your shield is too diminished, you have to close the distance and make the falco uncomfortable or he'll control the match, uncharged shot, homing missiles, and smash missiles can all provide openings to get into the falcos personal space, but the thing is knowing how to punish him once you're in there

1 dtilt, or even a ftilt or anything that can knock him on the ground, once you have him vulnerable you need to not give up your lead, my friend recently was *****ing at me cause i was out spacing his falcon all day with tilts, so he went falco and i did well vs his falco, so then he started laser camping, saying this was how he had to play the matchup, i said it wasn't but that's besides the point

the fact is it only took 1 mistake for me to take advantage of for me to even up or get the upper hand in the % game.

personally, i don't like UB OoS, it has it's purposes of course, especially if they're trying to shield **** you, but aside from that it's very hard to follow up, and if you get caught landing by a falco he can dair-shine you into another move which is too much % to be risking imo.

granted hugs is amazing at getting away with UB's that miss, and even following up with ones that do hit, but i would prefer to get my advantages elsewhere because falcos who know the matchup can punish you really hard for UB's

xbombr

Smash Ace
PS'ing lasers doesn't only rely on the falco freaking out, it also allows you to close distance, mess up his spacing, and make him reset his spacing

you can't hide in your shield vs falco too much because he can space a dtilt which will eat under your shield, and his dair which would eat your head if your shield is too diminished, you have to close the distance and make the falco uncomfortable or he'll control the match, uncharged shot, homing missiles, and smash missiles can all provide openings to get into the falcos personal space, but the thing is knowing how to punish him once you're in there

1 dtilt, or even a ftilt or anything that can knock him on the ground, once you have him vulnerable you need to not give up your lead, my friend recently was *****ing at me cause i was out spacing his falcon all day with tilts, so he went falco and i did well vs his falco, so then he started laser camping, saying this was how he had to play the matchup, i said it wasn't but that's besides the point

the fact is it only took 1 mistake for me to take advantage of for me to even up or get the upper hand in the % game.

personally, i don't like UB OoS, it has it's purposes of course, especially if they're trying to shield **** you, but aside from that it's very hard to follow up, and if you get caught landing by a falco he can dair-shine you into another move which is too much % to be risking imo.

granted hugs is amazing at getting away with UB's that miss, and even following up with ones that do hit, but i would prefer to get my advantages elsewhere because falcos who know the matchup can punish you really hard for UB's
I wasn't saying that PS'ing lasers RELIED on them freaking out, just that it's a better strategy than UpB for sure if it does. I'm saying UpB was working so he was using it to his advantage. HugS is known for adapting, if he started getting punished for Up B then you would have seen more running powershield approaches and mixups most likely. He did powershield some lasers, but if I knew I could punish a Falco almost every time he tried to hit me, then I'd let him get confident with his lasers so he'll still approach so I can take my free damage. If the UpB OoS is there, then take it, because it's safer than relying on powershielding while it's there. If he successfully begins to bait your UpB and hurt you for it, then you look for alternatives. Running powershield, ect. HugS wasn't using UpB a lot (like where he hit him with it like 6 times in a row) until he saw that it was working **** near every time there was an approach.

Spacing a dtilt with Falco is going to get you punished by other means since Samus is constantly respacing herself. Falco's run is slow and his jump is punishable if you begin to predict that he won't hit your shield. You'd be a fool to just let him walk up to your shield and do whatever. A spaced dtilt might work once or twice as a mix up, but if you're going to do it every time Samus shields then you're going to get punished for it because there is no safe set up. Getting trapped in your shield is a bad situation, but using your shield strategically when they approach so you can punish them is a good thing and is nearly essential to Samus play, imo.

Spamming UpB at inopportune times (I.E. Bad spacing or against a shield that it won't stab for sure.) or falling into baiting traps is the probably the only way you're going to get punished for it with much consistancy against Falco.

HugS, and all Samuses, use missiles to help them control the match. It's not like HugS just sat in his shield the whole time. No one would advocate that. HugS was controlling that match. Letting Falco approach when you can get free damage out of it doesn't mean you're not controlling the match.

Pi

Smash Hero
obviously, hugs won, but i still see flaws in his game that a falco could exploit, this falco wasn't, and i'm not implying that hugs wouldn't change his style if the falco started to, but i figured i would point them out any ways

yes, hugs is a good player, and yes what he was doing was working, not saying that he isn't aware of the points i brought up, but i felt like i should mention them since i didn't see them in the match

maybe i'm bais because i don't like UB OoS.

and as far as falco spacing his dtilt being as punishable as i'm interpreting you to make it seem, there's really not a whole lot to do in order to punish it. unless you've wavedashed just out of range right before he uses it (hard if he's peppering you with lasers). even a spotdodge isn't fast enough i don't think, it's a fast move

xbombr

Smash Ace
Yeah I understand.

UpB OoS is just really good against Falco because his highest payoff approach, the DAir, requires him to put himself directly in range of it. When UpB stops working so well, the other options are always there, but I guess I don't see the point in using up all of your tricks when something that's common knowledge for anyone who's faced even a mediocre Samus before is totally destroying them.

My problem with Falco dtilting was that it's a grounded move that requires him to be fairly close to use. So I'm not sure how he would go about approaching in a manner that wouldn't get him punished by something. If you're in your shield and he's already close to you, then it's a threat of course. In most situations I can think of you'd almost have to let him do it unless he had some serious mindgames going on. My point was that you aren't just going to let him run up to your shield and if he jumps at you, then you're already going to be responding to what you think would be an approach with an aerial.

I was just playing around a bit in training mode as well. The distance that UpB OoS hits from is very very very similar to that of Falco's Dtilt. Your spacing has to be more exact than Marth getting a tipper. So if he's approaching from the air it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to space dtilt in such a way that he can hit you and not eat an UpB before he even gets a chance to use his dtilt. Like laser-laser -> empty hop/close laser -> land -> dtilt he would have to have perfect spacing. A small tap in either direction on the control stick either puts him in range of Samus or out of range of Dtilt. The difference between frontal UpB OoS and Falco's dtilt is like half of Samus's foot (Sorry, was using visual cues to measure this). Even from the ground this approach would be tough, especially considering he wouldn't be pestering you with lasers and you could just WD back.

The move itself isn't very punishable, but the spacing he puts himself at to execute it is.

xbombr

Smash Ace
hm okay
didn't realize it was that close to getting UB'd
ty for testing
No prob. UpB when you're facing them has a surprising amount of range really for what it is. You'd think they'd have to be right on top of you, but in reality the range of UpB is just barely inside that of the spacies dtilts.

HugS™

Smash Lord
you made lucky look like a bad player o.O

i definiately would work more wavedash uptilt in your game
it's got real great range and priority, and if he is approaching with an aerial probably wil have bad DI and the best position to have fox in is off the edge so that would be nice
I've always found this technique to be like fool's mate, where you achieve success on lesser players with it, which may cause you to believe it's a good technique all around...

Basically, it's too slow. If I have enough trouble landing wavedash-fsmash on these types of players, wavedash utilt is way less likely. I stick to standing utilts, and I suggest others do as well.
you're edgeguarding is real nice, and i like your confidence with grabs, that's something i need to work on, i almost never grab unless it's with my friends who i know their playstyles too well ._.
Thank you :)

i don't see you Dtilt a whole lot, most of my damage on fox usually equates to me wavedashing back and dtilting their predicable approach, any reason for you not using this very often?
Lucky's approaches aren't predictable :/

also, when you are coming down with bombs, like say fox put you high in the air and is waiting for you to land, it might be worth doing the air dodge -> grapple into a bomb to fake him out, i know i've been using this with quite a bit of success recently
Not to sound condescending, but in 2005 I used this technique a lot, until I met Husband and he fsmashed me out of it everytime, and he told me to never do that again. And I listened, because there are better things to work on, and you're sacrificing a grapple if you do get hit away, where as I can always survive if i get hit out of a bomb.

It's as predictable as a regular bomb jump for those who see it coming, and with something that audacious, a good player will see it coming next time. Save your grapple.

vs dehf/falco in general i REALLLYYYY reccomend practicing power shielding, i'm to the point where i can almost expect a powershield, and wavedash -> follow up, if you were looking to practice something powershielding lasers would be my suggestion
Yeah for sure. It's just so hard to do consistently that I feel I could work on other things. And it requires enough effort that I'd probably have to sacrifice my ability to zone in/out on falco. Perhaps if I had more technical capabilities as a player, I'd consider it. It'd be best for me to stick to what I do best.

also, on missed tech follow ups, is there a reason that you dash attack? (or seem to more often than other moves) rather than say, dtilt, or dsmash, or fsmash or something?
i know dash attack does set up for other moves, but so does dtilt, is it dependent upon where they are on the map? idk i juss noticed you follow up missed techs with dash attack and was wondering why
On missed techs I like to dash attack at certain percentages because the follow up is guaranteed usually, no matter how they DI. And it'd be a good follow up too.

I tend to tech chase with the other moves at higher percentages, and with Dtilt at the absolute lowest percentages, or when the stage situation calls for it.

also, after a certain % downthrow -> smash attack is usable, DI dependent, not sure how far away they can DI though, might be able to DI far enough away to be able to tech, but it's something to remember since downthrow is relatively fast, although, samus grab should be slow enough for anyone to be able to DI any throw that comes after it lol
Uthrow is not DI dependent, at any percentage. So I usually use that instead. I only use Dthrow on fast fallers at extremely high percentages for the Fsmash KO, if i feel the uthrow - follow up is out of reach at the high percent.

in the set with DEHF, (this was only 1 instance but i'll mention it any ways), he was on the poke stadium platform, after missing a tech, on kanto, BF, and YS you can Utilt people on platforms, (not sure if it varies on BF or not), but this is something i like to do often if they've missed a tech, or to tech chase them. if you are under them you can pretty solidly cover all of their options, get up/attack up stationary utilt gets those, and if they roll rolls are slow so you can chase with an aerial
I do utilt below platforms, but not as much as I should. Noted.

Geist

Smash Master
Green is the color of aggressive Samus.
Green Samus is Seamus the Irish bouny hunter.
That's why.

Hey question for Hugs
is there a reliable way to get back on the stage against a decent or above sheik?
What with the needles and the back airs oiy

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
the uptilt under platforms isn't that good on dreamland(?)/battlefield because you barely get the hitbox up there
you'd need to predict where they're going to be almost exactly

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Always a pleasure watching you play. Every time you pivot ftilt or fsmash I oooh and aaah.
Your spacing and in and out game is incridible. Really really smart.

Your Dash attacks are always precise as well.

Also, I took huge notice to how you establish yourself.

Others should take note of this as well.

In the initial matches in each of these sets, Hugs immediately plays somewhat aggressively with his spacing game and when they start to react properly, he walls himself and gets stage control. Then with great short distance burst speed and spacing and when they get enough chip damage for knockback or they try being aggressive, he backs away and uses their aggressive momentum to pressure THEM.

Usually this would involve them expecting the tilts and jabs that he established as something he WILL hit them with when they're at that distance or in his area. As that's what provided the damage earlier, and therefore they would either be tilted and tech chased, or shield expecting it. This is where the grabs when they're pinned at the edge of the stage come in.

Establish yourself an area around you that isn't safe to be in for long. Move lots to keep them moving around your controlled area keeping your spacing and playing defensive until you can damage them enough to knock them back. This forces them to play defensive when they're near you, allowing grabs and more stage control.

Brilliant playing by Hugs again. :)
Genius adaptive play. <3 you.

Can't wait to play you again Hugo. Come to BC Plays Melee? :)

I remember in one vid you built up like 60 damage on one stock vs. DEHF with just upb OoS all within like 15 seconds.

HugS wasn't facing a noob Falco though.

If he isn't laser spacing, then PS'ing will wreck him.

Also, if UpB OoS stopped working so well and DEHF started baiting more since UpB would become a more dangerous option.
UpB is a great tool against over aggressive and impatient players, but it's not just OOS that it was doing damage. Notice when DEHF was being impatient on edgeguards and he'd UpB early, often reversing the opportunity as Hugs would take his jump away and return to the stage because of Falco being silly.

For sure not a noob Falco, but he absolutely doesn't play the Samus match up even close to what he should. Example is that overly impatient thing. Though Hugs demonstrates ALWAYS how to deal with a fast pressuring Falco, and how to abuse it from defensive to offensive maneuvers.

PSing will wreck any lazer using Falco, spacing doesn't have much to do with it. Watch something of Diakonos vs a Falco for an extreme of how PS can completely shut don't lasers. It's tough sure, but it's game breaking against somehow who can do it and knows how to capitalize on it. :\

UpB OOS didn't work on Mango after the first one hit him. It turned into a dangerous move. ;)

I've always found this technique to be like fool's mate, where you achieve success on lesser players with it, which may cause you to believe it's a good technique all around...
I suggest others do as well.

Save your grapple.

Yeah for sure. It's just so hard to do consistently that I feel I could work on other things. And it requires enough effort that I'd probably have to sacrifice my ability to zone in/out on falco. Perhaps if I had more technical capabilities as a player, I'd consider it. It'd be best for me to stick to what I do best.

Uthrow is not DI dependent, at any percentage.
I have that problem plenty. When I play locally, I tend to WANT to spam utilt, but force myself not too as I know it shouldn't really work. Yet when I travel to play a decent level player in Vancouver or elsewhere, it still comes out sometimes, and still doesn't work. I'm glad to see you suggest that, good to know I'm on the right track. Thanks. :)

Save your grapple is key. I don't know what this bombcancelgrapple thing is, but bomb jumping gives you enough jiggs-like temporary horizontal movement to evade most attacks. Use that as best you can and be safe. Safe isn't using your best utility/emergency recovery option at leisure when you're still in a bad position.

You're exceptionally consistant, so PSing consistantly shouldn't be a problem. ;) lol

Uthrow has a set knockback in front or what? I noticed the weak Nair>Nair after, is that actually garaunteed follow up no matter how they DI?

Pi

Smash Hero
uthrow doesn't have a set knockback, what he's saying is that regardless of the DI they input you can always follow up with a move.

i had suggested downthrow -> smash but that is some what di dependent, if they di away from you (front) you cannot hit them before they tech.

resTy

Smash Champion
I think I'm quitting Smash, fellas.
It's gettin boring because of the community down here.
I'll probably still hang out on SWF a lot though XD.

xbombr

Smash Ace
I think I'm quitting Smash, fellas.
It's gettin boring because of the community down here.
I'll probably still hang out on SWF a lot though XD.
Wut

We live in practically the same region and I haven't gotten a chance to rip off your 1337 Samus skills yet.

/disappointment

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
You should go to college in an area that has a greater Melee population

go live with corey lololol

Top Bottom