• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Personally I feel this is Olimar's worst stage (excluding pokemon stadium 2). However, I'm using the word "worse" losely, as even the other stages that are bad for him aren't that bad for him. The pros for the stage are plentiful but don't have a huge impact, while the cons are few but make a huge difference in matchups. I'm starting to agree with dabuz that this is the worst stage to fight mk on, as well as many other matchups that characters will take us to when we ban RC, such as kirby.

The fact of the ledgeless side isn't just that there isn't a way for us to recover on the right. It's that it completely eliminates the right portion of the stage. Being to the right of our opponent is extremely dangerous in most matchups on the first section.

Unlike other stages, you're going to have to pay attention to what side you are as regards to your opponent, as well as the distance between them and the ledge. When on the right side of your opponent. you're going to want to focus on being about midway between them and the ledge. Not too close to them, not too close to the ledge. This goes for nomatter how close you are to the ledge. You're not going to want to be too close to the ledge as regards to distance from your opponent, because if they have a huge amount of room to close in, you're ****ed. And you don't want to be too close to your opponent because it gives them too many options to attack or grab you and... well, push you too far against the right ledge.

When to the left of your opponent, also, you're not going to want to be too close to them if they're too close to the right ledge, as a grab + bthrow could cost you a stock, and them being able to roll around you when able to could put you at a disadvantageous position. So even if you're on the left side, don't be too close to your opponent if they're close to the right side.

When the right side is up, and you're on the left portion of the stage, just consider the stage 2/3 of the size it normally was for how far/close you want to be from your opponent. Personally, I feel that this is the time that we're at the biggest disadvantage on the stage, as it limits our room and causes more gimps than usual. Even if, while recovering, the stage lowers for us, we're still landing back on the stage too close to the opponent and the ledgeless side to not get thrown off again. Being on the risen section while the opponent is on the left side is extremely disadvantageous as well, as they're able to keep pressure as we're forced to try to get back to the left side, possibly sharking us from the bottom of the section. Our best option when here is to wait for them to try to attack us from the bottom, and retreat to the left platform, falling through there, covering our landing with an aerial or going for the ledge. We have to be really defensive in this position and trying to beat out our opponent when they have terrain advantage is not fun.

When the right side is lowered, however, we have a much easier. Recovering becomes a tad easier on us, and we're able to section ourself from our opponent easier. I don't think I've made a big enough deal out if this but Olimar is amazing when there are huge alterations in terrain. Especially in situations like this. When we have the high ground, we're able to prevent our opponent from getting back up top by spacing fsmashes, making them have to come back up awkwardly. When we have the low ground, uair makes their approach extremely difficult, although, unlike other similar situations on other stages (delfino) retreating while they're doing this isn't an option, with the ledgeless side.

On to phase two. This phase isn't as good as advertised for us, but isn't terrible. The platform is too high from the center dip to make use of for punishing those above it with anything but uair. And it's extremely large so even that's hard. The slants are good for us, but not as good as they could be. There isn't much space between them and they're not very long. It's difficult for us to keep that perfect distance from the ledge because of the slants and how it would help our opponent if they're right next to us on it, and we are basically forced to either stay at the center of the stage or the far left or right side, which limits us too much.

The mercy platforms do help us in our recovery, however one thing needs to be understood.

Against characters that do well at getting us off stage and keeping us off stage while they're on stage or close to it off stage, the mercy platforms help out a lot.

Against character that do well at getting us off stage and keeping pressure on us while they're offstage, the mercy platforms don't help much at all.

They don't help us in the mk matchup too much because he's always going to be out there with us off stage. But against snake, they help a lot, as he's not going to chase us off stage but be waiting for us when we get back on.

The purple and yellow increase are great, as they're considered by most to be the best pikmin.

Characters:

MK - if you don't ban it against him, he's going to take you here, most likely.

Snake - I really don't mind the stage against him much, tbh, but he's better at pressuring you when you're on the right of him well. And the second phase is extremely good for his grenade game.

Diddy - There's good and bad for this matchup on this stage. Diddy is AMAZING at getting olimar off stage. If diddy gets you off stage on the right side there'll be two bananas and a monkey waiting for you when you return. You're going off again. However, in the same sense, diddy recovering on teh right side is extremely vulnerable and easy to punish, especially if he has to use his barrels. The second phase is great for his bananas, though. Also purple pikmin are incredible in this matchup. It's a pretty neutral stage in this matchup. Lots of bad but lots of good.

DDD - probably the worst stage for this matchup. I think it'd be my ban.

Falco - I've taken falcos here many times and it works. The right side DESTROYS his recovery and makes it really predictable, and getting falco off stage is easy. Just be wary of his spike on the right side of course. The second phase is incredible for the matchup as well, as the slant/dip messes up his laser camp and he can't keep pressure while the mercy platforms save you. Possible CP in this matchup.

Marth - I consider banning this stage against marth, but usually end up banning bf instead. Like mk he's able to keep constant ranged pressure on you and get you off stage easily. He isn't able to pressure you when on the mercy platforms as well as some characters, but can fend you off when you're getting off of them. Also, marth doesn't have a good time going from the lowered right section to the middle well when weaving through our fsmashes.

Ban this stage against kirby and lucario.
Be ready for ZSS and DK as they both do well against you on this stage too.

Not much else is worth mention.

whew that was a lot @_@

Noa.

Smash Master
The first side of Frigate is very dangerous. For the most part under no circumstances should you be on or near the moving platform. Center of Stage is really really important on this stage. The left ledge can be strange for certain chracters, making it easy for them to mess up. Olimar doesn't have to worry about that though.

Second part is just plain awesome. While in the center of the stage, fsmash becomes unuseable, but pivot grab is like broken. So is normal grabbing. If you're on the sides it's good to fsmash into the center as it gains so much height that it can stop multiple aerial approaches. Usmash kills earlyish on the sides S well.

You get more purples and yellows here, which is like awesome.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, grabs are better from the center and fsmashes from the sides. But other than that and the mercy platforms (to a lesser extent) there isn't much particularly special about the second phase imo.

Zori

Smash Champion
i been cp to this stage so many times im kinda good here lol yellows and purples are always welcomed i have so many tricks here ill share some

on the part where one platform is lower go under there and spam upsmash, your opponent will back up and then you use up-b though the stage......its so amazing and will throw them off

when you hear the alarm for the stage flip, use both jumps and up-b and the stage will change and you wont be hit because everything will be disorented most of the time your opponent will rush in and try to attack, shield then ****.

use the platform

uair under the stage is good

only part that sucks is that moving platform on the right :(

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah, make sure to be in the center of the stage when it's about to flip. You'll never die if you're in the dead center.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Curious, how does Luigi fare against Oli on this stage?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It's a solid cp for luigi but not as much against Olimar. The extra yellows destroy luigi, actually. The center dip in the second section make it easier for him to play the keep away game, just camping out the section, but for Olimar it doesn't work as well, as we can camp harder and use more reds in this situation. It's definitely a stage they'll probably take us to, but there's worse. I'd rather fight luigi here than Brinstar/Cruise/Norfair/Battlefield.

Also, updated the thread with the writeup for Pokemon Stadium 1. I sectioned it out and did a writeup for each phase :D

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i will ban this against MK unless i think they will pick brinstar, otherwise there are better stages to ban against other characters

also, the second transformation might actually suck for oli more than the first one

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I might ban it against marth for similar reasons I would ban it against mk. His only other strong cp against us is bf, although the right side does mess up marth as well, he's just better at taking advantage of it in the matchup, imo.

Also I agree, it seems the second phase may actually be worse for us.

Oh, and I don't like fighting rob here, but RC might be worse, I'm not sure. I definitely ban it against Lucario. Nobody else is really that bad here. I've considered cp'ing ICs here actually.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Nah, it's not the changes I'd be going for. It's the ledgeless side that would destroy nana and I'm wondering how the layout of the second phase would change things. But yeah I really like Delfino against them. And halberd :X

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well, nothing else to say about frigate (sorry for kinda flooding the discussion at the beginning >_>)

Any last words to say about the stage? I guess we can move on to something else otherwise :/ I'd kind of like to get some more discussion about the stage though

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
hmm.. i like castle siege a lot but i need to learn halberd so.. halberd!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'll almost certainly get outvoted, but I vote Castle Siege.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Halberd

Summary: Considered by many to be our best stage overall. While some stages are better in some matchups (such as Final Destination), most consider Halberd to be a backup counterpick, of sorts. Mainly because the stage provides us two obvious benefits that help us in almost every single matchup. The ceiling is noticeably lower than most other legal stages, and the stage is really large, which boosts our camp game, as we're not caught at a ledge as often as we would be on, say, battlefield. Battlefield has two phases that are similar other than a couple of points. The stage originally starts out in the Hanger, though, but I'm going to ignore that section. It's incredibly short, and isn't very important, compared to the other two. The reason the low ceiling benefits Olimar so much, is that we kill off the top better than most characters we're going to face. Against characters that have several vertical kill options, you may not want to use the stage against. Because even though you kill vertically too, you want to focus on what your opponent's flaws are, instead of benefiting their strengths. So characters like Game and Watch and Snake, you wouldn't want to face here, usually.

Phase 1: The phase where the platform is floating through the sky. This section has a transparent platform, so characters are able to shark through the bottom of the stage, which could be a problem. The sides of the stage have small slants which boost the effectiveness of our fsmash. It also helps our grab, if used from the inside towards the the ledge, if our opponent is positioned there. The platform is large, which helps us not get trapped against an opponent that may have several options against us if we find ourselves stuck on top. Conversely, Olimar excels at chasing opponents on platforms as well, so we may see it become less effective due to the platform size also.

Phase 2: While the platform is docking onto the ship, you're able to drop onto it if you'd like, and pseudo-shark the opponent while they're still on top. This isn't a very dramatic action, but every little bit counts. The ship has a slightly smaller ceiling than the transportation platform. To make it better, the game will actually spend more time on the ship than it will on the platform, so you'll have the lower ceiling for most of the match. The ship is slightly bigger than the platform as well, although you no longer have the slants on the side to help. The hazards aren't a very big problem. Olimar has a good shield, the claw and laser isn't a problem. The only problem with the laser is that it could cut off a portion of the stage and give us less room to run away from our opponent. The claw could actually be beneficial to Olimar, as it can cause the opponent to pause, if they are on the aggressive, giving the Olimar a chance to make an escape.

Counterpick:
:metaknight: :falco: :popo: :marth: :wario: :dedede: :pikachu2: :lucario: :pit: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :kirby2: :rob:

Ban:
:snake:

Pluck Percentages
Transportation Platform: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%
Ship: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

Return to Stage Directory

Noa.

Smash Master
Well, in the peach matchup, I would consider frigate a stage to ban. Fsmash can actually be useful in the peach matchup for punishing her landings, and the second part hampers this. Peach gimps us really really well. The first part is extremely dangerous. All that being said, I still do fine here against Peach. I really don't know what stages are bad against Peach, cause I dont really recognize any obvious counters or bans.

Halberd is what I consider a go to counterpuck stage for most matchups. The low ceiling makes killing so incredibly easy. The second part offers a lot of space for camping, and there's plenty of space for pivot grabs. The first part is vulnerable to sharking, but only mk does it really effectively.

I don't know much about stages. :p

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
tbh i like the stage against mk. his sharking isn't really that big of a deal, and even if it is, the stage changes before too long.

it's pretty much our universal cp stage, if there's no stage you really feel comfortable enough to take someone to, and/or you're afraid they'll cp someone whose better at the stage than you, take'm to halberd :X

only character i don't take here is snake.

@noa: reason i asked about peach was that the right side messes up here recovery as well, the second phase's dip does wonders against her, she can't edge guard us too much off stage so the mercy platforms do well, and purple and yellows imo are spectacular in the matchup.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Ahh halberd, i don't know this stage to much but i'll share my knowledge of it.

Let's start off with the size of the first initial part of the stage, it is a little bit smaller then BF and a little bit bigger then SV. ( BF is 4 rolls with about half of a roll left, SV is about 4 rolls exact, and this part of halberd is just between that) It has a platform which is 2 backwards roll lengths, and covers the stage up to the slants going upwards.

As you know, you as well as your opponent can shark through the stage. No one besides metaknight in particular give us that much of a problem. What i like to do against metaknight is when he is sharking i jump to the platform and go opposite direction of him, after 2-3 jumps i like to go to the ledge and get some invincibility while he has to jump more because of his slow air speed and i just proceed from there.

Olimar as well can cause opponents problems because of his uair and his ability to camp edges well. If the opponent thinks you are going to uair them and they go to the middle part of the stage, just do some ledge hop side bs to make them approach so you can uair or do some ledge mindgames on them. If they go to the opposite side of the stage, yay you can get back on stage without worrying about being pressured while on the ledge.

The slants on this part of the stage can help us get that extra inch for our grab. It can also negate the hitbox of our f smash so be careful.

The 2nd part of the stage is about 5 rolls in length with a bit of extra space and just bigger then FD. (FD is about 5 rolls exact)

The stage has 3 hazards, a bomb, a laser, and tentacle **** hook rope thing. The bomb does 20 damage, the laser does 42 damage if all hits connect and the TRHRT does 10 damage. If the laser is targeting your opponent you can grab them and up throw them so they get hit by the whole thing without chance of DI'ing out.

Olimar can get really get good stage control of this part of the stage. The platform is big enough to make your opponent land on it often. I like to nair them and if they shield it fully, i double jump uair.
Dthrow/Uthrow set up for this really good. Olimar can also do this on first part of the stage.

If I remember correctly, this stage has standard pikmin pluck %. We all know it has a low ceiling and we olimars love this.

OH! one more thing. when you start the game on halberd we all know the platform goes up and leaves the ground. It takes (start 8:00 descent 7:48) 12 seconds to take off so if you can keep your opponent on the ground for the 11th second, that's a stock. The stage stays in the air for (7:48 - 6:40) 1min 8 secs from the descent to where it starts to hover the 2nd part of the stage. It combines into the ground in 5 seconds.(6:35)

That is all i can think of for now, sorry if i missed anything.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
if your worried about sharking/ sharking gives you troubles just camp the top platform until you land on the ship, since you can't fall through the bottom platform most sharkers i've seen won't aggressively attack the top platform, and the top platform gives you a lot of options

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've never really given much thought to Halberd due to fear of sharking... maybe that fear is irrational

Hilt! I have an assignment for you! Can you figure out what the ko% is for each pikmin Usmash on all the high tiers on Halberd? I know we can kill stupid early, but I never pick Halberd so I'd like to know what I can kill at there.

Also, call me crazy but I think Frigate might be a really good stage for us against Marth :o

(this is my first time posting in this thread haha dang)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I considered doing that for most stages in general, almost started on delfino. I'll get right on it :)

Is it okay if it's without DI though? I can try to test it with DI but I wouldn't be the best for it with each of the characters >_>

RichBrown

Smash Master
Yeah I actually prefer to know what it is without DI, I'm good at estimating from there

Thanks you're amazing :D

Noa.

Smash Master
Don't bother with the low tiers either. Only high tiers and the more common or troublesome mid tiers.

Halberd's just a really good stage. There really aren't many bad points on it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, I did all the way through high tier, but also did Peach and Luigi.

Two things I didn't do:
-I didn't check kill percents for the platforms or the right/left side of the moving phase, where the stage is a little higher up than the center. I just figured testing the lowest parts of the stage would be best. Just know that the platform on either section you'll get kills about 8-10% earlier, the right/left side of the moving phase will give you kills about 2% earlier.
-I didn't test white kill percents. I started to but it was too time wasting and we're not going to kill with whites anyways >_>

The first row for each character is the kill percents on the Ship. These kills come earlier and you'll be on the ship much longer than you will be on the moving phase. The row after that is the moving phase in the center of the stage.

Also, Reds and Blues kill at the exact same percents.

Code:
                      Red/Blue  Yellow    Purple
Meta Knight           71%*      77%*      55%*
                      75%*      81%*      59%*
Snake                 94%*      103%*      75%*
                      100%*      108%*      80%*
Diddy Kong            84%       91%       67%
                      89%       96%       71%
Falco                 81%       88%       64%
                      86%       93%       68%
Ice Climbers          81%       88%       65%
                      86%       93%       69%
Marth                 84%       91%       67%
                      88%       96%       71%
Wario                 91%       99%       73%
                      97%       104%      77%
King DeDeDe           104%      112%      84%
                      109%      118%      83%*
Pikachu               78%       85%       61%*
                      83%       90%       66%
Olimar                79%       86%       63%
                      84%       91%       64%
Mr. Game and Watch    74%       80%       61%
                      78%       85%       61%
Peach                 80%       86%       63%
                      82%       91%       67%
Luigi                 85%       92%       68%
                      90%       96%       72%

RichBrown

Smash Master
Hilt, you're amazing, I'm gonna buy you a cookie whenever we get a chance to meet.

One question though: On GnW, it says purple Usmash kills at 61%, but kills MK at 60%. You sure about that?

And with DI, I'm guessing we should add 10% or so to all of these, give or take depending on the character?

Noa.

Smash Master
Hilt, Im just wondering if you did this in training mode and nit the actual vs. Mode. I've heard that characters are slightly lighter in training mode.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
For me mr game and watch dies at 57% and metaknight dies at 59% on the moving platform from a purple up smash, I might test more later to double check with hilt, also this was not in practice mode

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah you're right, just tested and characters die a bit later in regular vs mode. MK dies 2% earlier, snake dies about 6-7% earlier.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I cped MK and Pikachu here last Friday, and lost both times >_>. Pikachu has a good upmash. And dsmash kills vertically too. And thunder.

Top Bottom