• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Animal

Smash Lord
your falcon looks.....heavy. I never used that to describe a falcon b4 but thats the only thing i can think of lol good stuff though defiently, just play more on your toesss

legion598

Smash Ace
oh my god, I get it! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

it's like that episode of dragon ball Z, where Goku comes back and starts fighting Nappa, and he's all like, "Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?" And then Vegeta's all like, "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!" And then Nappa's all like, "What? 9000?"

But instead, you made it about this thread's post count. That's so witty! I'll bet no one has EVER thought of doing that before!

*gives chred and legion a high five

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Ughh...it's getting so old doing double jump to dair and then getting punished for it -_- It's the most predictable thing ever, and I'm looking to YOU guys to help tell me some alternatives rather than doing this predictable piece of poop =P

Also, in the Falco matchup, the bad places to be are mid range where you can't dd camp or get hits and then being up close without applying pressure, right? So if I'm up close, I gotta be like pow wow bam slam and stuff like that or far away to where he can only laser, where I cause him to approach by shielding/hopefully powershielding? And then once he gets close to me, I swear them lasers keep me in my shield like crazy as he approaches and it sucks because I miss the powershield so I'm stuck in shield stun T_T It's like I'm stuck in shield stun, then he's able to shorthop and do a low bair/nair on my shield to where I can't shieldgrab or I'll get shined. What do I do in this situation? Only thing I could think of atm would be either try my hardest to full hop escape(which probably leads to...double jump dair because I'm a doofus T_T) or wavedash OoS. Are these practical? Is there any alternatives to these? I'm tired of being shield pressured by a fiend and then when I make a decision I get 80% then get my tech predicted with a fsmash/dsmash and get edgeguarded =(.

The Falco matchup is HARD.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
It doesn't seem like shffl nair oos would be any worse than wd oos
and it does damage

but ya instead of stomp (which i do wayy too much as well) do nair or bair (whichever makes more sense)

you can probably should roll oos when getting pressured

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
By the way, I was just goofing around against a humanless controller and I noticed something that may be worth noting? Idk, but anyways what I did was I'd be holding onto the ledge and then I hit down on the C-stick then instantly hit up with the control stick and held up and pressed A to do a uair as fast as possible, and I'd grab the ledge in time when coming down. I guess you could say it's sort of like how Sheiks will let go of the ledge, use the double jump, and DI back a little and fair and then regrab the ledge, just I don't know if this is as practical as that is. Any opinions? It was pretty simple to do...

Also, found out the best way for me to gentleman I think finally ^_^ AA, pause, then A and hold it, and it works on the air even =) Just kind of scares me because like a level 8 Fox was able to jab me out of it but idk, they have superpowers so who knows about that lol.

D

Deleted member

i use that to edgeguard fox (especially in teams) sometimes except I use back to let go and up-air and regrab edge

really good since if a fox is roughly horizontal from you while recovering with up-b, fox is most likely going to up and if you are on the edge that's the ONLY way to hit them if they go diagonally up (b-air doesn't quite reach). If they go diagonally (up and barely to the right or left) but a little higher so they fall onto the edge, you will regrab the edge in time.

Foxes in teams or "smart" foxes will almost always go diagonally up

It's great because it sets up for an even easier edgeguard, if even necessary. Some foxes will try to side-b the edge after a successful teabag and since you are on the edge again they are *****

I don't really do this in singles but its extremely valuable in teams since if a Fox makes it back onto the edge, the fight between your partner and the enemy can possibly let the Fox back on so I find it better to just teabag Fox with up-air and never let him get back on

---

The hold A theory works as long as you hit the first jab and you do an input while still holding onto A and doing a new input.

my preferred way of gentlemen from the gentlemen topic is A A A+down don't let go of A or down until you duck. There is no need to delay the 3rd hit although that way works too. If you miss the first jab then if you space the 3 hits out equally it will most likely work also

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah the way I gentleman seems to be working rather well, I just tap A twice really fast then slightly pause and then press and hold A, then dash off afterwards. Then, I just use the lightshield method of AAZ and buffer roll when I hit shields with knee. Now I just gotta work this into my gameplay >_<!

By the way, I'm going to SMYM and I'm going to be teaming with a Fox. I'm just going to guess that my duty should moreover be to kind of sit back and dash dance until I find an opening or my partner needs my help, correct? I noticed if I was too aggressive that we'd both tend to team attack each other, which obviously isn't good ;P

D

Deleted member

I love the Fox Falcon team

It's based entirely on you and your partner's playstyles though

Jeff and Tang --> Jeff is pure aggressor while Tang is complete support and up-smashes,waits, etc whenever he has to

Most teams seem to have Fox do most of the work while Falcon dash dances to knee in openings and help your partner when hes in danger

I personally think adaptive aggressive/defensive roles for both fox/falcon are best but it works best i feel with people you team with often so you know exactly what to do in almost any given situation
---

some recovery tips:

have your teammate firefox flame save you if you can't make it and its pretty safe for him to do so

if your teammate can't make it and its sort of safe, run off, double jump and n-air and hit your partner with the first hit of n-air. You can also do reverse up-air to smack them softly onto the stage but a bit tougher

-WoMp-

Smash Cadet
By the way, I was just goofing around against a humanless controller and I noticed something that may be worth noting? Idk, but anyways what I did was I'd be holding onto the ledge and then I hit down on the C-stick then instantly hit up with the control stick and held up and pressed A to do a uair as fast as possible, and I'd grab the ledge in time when coming down. I guess you could say it's sort of like how Sheiks will let go of the ledge, use the double jump, and DI back a little and fair and then regrab the ledge, just I don't know if this is as practical as that is. Any opinions? It was pretty simple to do...
Works with Bair too.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
By the way, I was just goofing around against a humanless controller and I noticed something that may be worth noting? Idk, but anyways what I did was I'd be holding onto the ledge and then I hit down on the C-stick then instantly hit up with the control stick and held up and pressed A to do a uair as fast as possible, and I'd grab the ledge in time when coming down.
I do this with the Knee. Great against fox/falcos riding up the side with upb to recover.

Back>up>knee>regrab

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
He's just trolling lol. He's a ******
Old post, but I'd like to point out that I'm NOT trolling.

Whenever I see people talk about ics I never see people mention Rob. It's always Chu/Fly/whoever the **** else plays ics, and in recent memory I only remember Fly outplacing Rob once, and I'm fairly certain Fly probably had an easier bracket.

Plus Chu like never plays anymore lol.

legion598

Smash Ace
@ animal no, I have yet to travel out of Illinois. hopefully that will change by next year. Ill get u one of these days. of course by the time I can travel I will be the BEST falcon period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yeah but ruby nobody is underestimating wobbles lol. You were saying people were but nobody was so it obviously looked like you were trolling since to say that would mean you didn't read the topic at all. Just saying random whatever

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Going to a small tourney in town but I haven't played smash in around 2 months (!).

Could someone quickly go over the "essentials" of a few matchups?
Namely: Marth, Fox, Falco and Peach? :D

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Marth, space them aerials WELL, and when a combo opportunity happens, DO IT. Below 30% do dthrow, but after 30% I'm pretty sure you can hit an uair and combo him. 70% uthrow -> knee works. Around like the 90%s, dthrow to a running knee works. To mindgame sometimes I'll uthrow at around 15-25% and then run under the Marth, and he'll try and fair like any silly Marth would do, and then just backwards jump dair/bair his buttocks. Continue the ****. Pretty sure DI-wise, you want to DI away from him when getting faired. When an utilt hits, DI BEHIND him, or else he'll string like 20 of them on you into something stupid. Also, dash dance camp a lot and look for openings(I know, dumb instructions there but that's what I was always told...) I'd highly suggest NOT double jump dair'ing him much because his utilt will out prioritize that and then he'll do something dumb. Only dair when you know that stuff is going to work.

Fox, once again you want to space aerials rather well because they have 2 sex kicks, one being his main approach and it's gay. If he shoots you with lasers, don't approach just because you're getting % on you. You don't have to approach if you don't want to, and usually non high placing Foxes and even some high placing ones will approach eventually out of boredom or something dumb like that, and that's when you **** them. Try to move your shield upwards so that their L-cancelling time is messed up, and gauge whether you should shieldgrab or not because if you feel he's going to SHFFL his aerial correctly, his shine WILL hit you before you can get your grab off. Once you have him grabbed, you HAVE to get a decent tech chase on him or he'll go back and camp if he's good/smart. Once he's offstage, try your heart out to keep him off there. Also, please try and stay towards the center of the stage rather than near the ledge because shine spike is uber gay and will rob your stocks. Be wary of his utilt, it > your aerials.

Falco....is going to be hard. Try to stay either far away and shield/preferably powershield his lasers to force him to approach. If he does a high laser, know that your overB can go under it. If it's a low laser, doing a SHFFL'd nair will go over it quite smoothly. Full hop to dodge some lasers if you decide to approach(and be smart about that approach or you'll eat a pillar combo by any decent Falco), double jump sometimes, but I wouldn't suggest double jumping into let's say...a dair. I get punished for doing that all the time so maybe find some better options like bair'ing the back of their shield if they're shielding right before you reach the ground, or just don't aerial at all and work them games of the mind. When Falco is off the stage and you're in an edgeguard situation, it's basically NECESSARY to get that edgeguard off to make this matchup even slightly even. He has a much worse recovery than Fox. Also, try your heart out on those tech chases just like in the Fox matchup.

Peach, I don't have much experience with but from what I remember, at lower %s like 0-10%, you can uthrow to a very quick full hop nair with the first hit connecting as you're rising, and the second hit connecting as you're fast falling down. Follow up with whatever aerials seem necessary, usually SHFFL'd uairs or a full hop one depending on DI. Don't crouch cancel against Peach or else you'll eat like 50% from dsmash, and DON'T jump towards her when she's on a platform. All Peaches try to bait that crap because once again, you eat a lot of % from that stupid dsmash. Make sure to complete any combos that happen, she's pretty easy to combo, especially with uair. If the Peach likes to float a lot, if you're quick enough you can usually do a swift uair before she can get out of the float animation and get into a defensive position. Also, don't fall for Peach's tricks like doing a low float and fair'ing your shield and dropping from the float as that happens because she will get a dsmash off before you can grab her because she has absolutely no lag when she float cancels her aerials. Gay stuff. Just try to juggle her a lot if you can, but make sure to do it really under her because her dair's priority is poopy compared to your uair, but her nair/bair/fair isn't. Also, going back to the uthrow thing at the beginning, don't really uthrow much after those percents, I'm pretty sure dthrow is more effective as %s get higher, and I'd like to think dthrow to knee works around...50-70%? Idk, don't play the matchup that often =( Also, when you do dthrow -> any aerial, make sure to be quick about it because 9/10 Peaches nair the instant they're able to, and it will combo break you. Don't be hesitant, just follow through if you feel it's going to work, and back off if you don't think it will and regain your composure.

Hope this info helps out quite a bit, felt like shedding some information for once, I hope I got everything about right =D Peoples, correct me if I'm wrong!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
thats wierd i dont remember seeing you at Pound.

Oh wait...you didnt go.
Ive been to about 12 tournaments...

Oh wait...youve been to...2? 3?

Not to mention, you didn't win a match at Pound and might as well not have been there.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Any tips for teams when it's Falcon/Falcon? My Fox teammate can't go to SMYM anymore so I might be teaming with the man above me^^^
When your teammate is being grabbed and they're smart enough to throw your teammate at you to avoid being kneed, if you raptor boost it will hit both of them and you can knee the enemy.

UpB sets up for hilarious combos with a teammate with good reflexes.

Play close to each other and watch each others' backs. As soon as one does something laggy and the opponent tries to punish, you can punish right back with a knee. Taunts and Falcon Punches are safe baits with this playstyle.

PLENIPPPPP

Top Bottom