• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
All this talk about dsmash vs. knee is very situational. There are situations where one is preferable to the other, but the original post was about dsmashing out of a stomp around 40%. Which is silly. Because you shouldn't be doing either at that percent, you should either be uairing, nairing, or regrabbing them, unless you're right at the edge of the stage, or you really suck at tech chasing.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
when spacies are spacing bairs/dairs and you dont wanna ledgehop a aerial incase it trades..:

ledgehop, waveland backwards, FF off the ledge, DJ, knee.

too good.

or on stages like Battlefield and yoshis, instead of attacking, you can ledgehop waveland backwards off the stage, DJ and waveland onto the platform and work from their. Its a pretty nice mixup.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
when spacies are spacing bairs/dairs and you dont wanna ledgehop a aerial incase it trades..:

ledgehop, waveland backwards, FF off the ledge, DJ, knee.

too good.

or on stages like Battlefield and yoshis, instead of attacking, you can ledgehop waveland backwards off the stage, DJ and waveland onto the platform and work from their. Its a pretty nice mixup.
It's flashy and fun. I do it all the time but it terms of safety it's bad. If you mess the reverse waveland then you airdodge off and die. If they hit you out of your knee (no invincibility at that point) then there goes your recovery. It's really only useful once every few matches but if it is expected it gets punished way too hard.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea by no means is it ever safe to do.

but then again, in choosing falcon, you're already forgoing safety and brokeness, its not like anything you ever do is gonna be safe.

D

Deleted member

it's ok to use once in a while and in teams when there is a lot of action going on but people with decent reflexes will simply smack u

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Techchasing spacies to death is hard with falcon :(

Techchasing spacies tech rolls is hard in general. They can just react with spotdodge or shine so quick.

Do you guys know the animations? It seems I'm never quick enough for regrab with falcon when I always should be.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
techchasing with regrab is literally the easiest thing ever.

you just dash dance and when they tech u go that way, it doesnt even require you to be fast/have good reaction

you can also dthrow->wd forward or dthrow->sh forward FF run ->grab and they still cant get away.
u must be doing something very wrong if regrabs are giving you trouble.

but regrabs wont win you the game, u gotta go for gold and that is pretty tough sometimes

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I didn't used to have trouble with it and I don't miss them often, just more than I should. I suppose I just need more practice.

I just hate that when I miss a regrab, I get shined to combo'd. When I miss my stomp read, nothing happens.

Switching back and forth from sheik to falcon techchase johns. For real I don't need much help, I'll just watch a video or two, just venting my last session frustration and just seeing if other people went about it differently.

D

Deleted member

wavedash in--Easier and gets you guaranteed grabs if they tech away or into you (spacey). The thing I hate about it is it lets people get away if they DI away from the down-throw and tech in place

dash dance- Harder but covers tech away , tech in place, tech inside and in my opinion works way better against chars with big tech rolls (Shiek, Falcon)

at mid percents you can up-throw, foxtrot also

I started doing this method where at the very end of the initial dash I do a jerky dash dance as fast as possible so I can instantly change directions based on where they go

---

If you can't regrab in these situations due to shine or spotdodge you are reacting too slowly and 95% of the time just need more practice or need to warm up

If you don't think you can make it in time due to a slight mess up/Falco, do:

1) Run up to them and Knee in place to cover spotdodge (#1 NOOB PWNER)
2) stomp for inside roll (happens a lot more if they are close to the edge and better players tend to not spotdodge)
3) keep dash dancing in front of them and wait and see, some people flip out

--

the average smasher will USUALLY not do the same option again more than twice in a row unless they are unusually stubborn

for example, if you regrab their tech in place twice, they have a good chance of teching away or rolling into you, that's a good time to commit to a heavy punish

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Thank you s2j. I'll just save that post so I never have to ask again. Now I just gotta practice it and depend on my reactions more.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Ask s2j falcon questions, Bug Scar for never posting, Big D is an encyclopedia, Mogwai pops in every now and then.

thats my vote for new thread name.

(s2j is the ****)

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Retreating bairs and stomps work very well versus Fox. If he's doing the running away, dash dance really close to pressure him. Grab him when he lands from an aerial. Keep heavy pressure on him once you get him off stage with weak knees, uairs, and bairs. Don't tech in place or miss your tech ever.

actionblackbird

Smash Journeyman
Since there like 613 pages to look for my answer, I am going to ask it anyways.
How...do you beat someone like Hungry Box? Or how can ya beat it.

According to F-zero, the way to beat him is to confuse him...
and not sure if this is true because he used to beat him...so I am not sure he can.

yea I hate jigs.

nuff said.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Versus Jiggs you just have to be super super super patient and space nairs/uairs most importantly. Bairs are your safest kill. Grabs are of course **** UNLESS they crouch a lot. Don't play near the edge where you'll get gimped so easy and you can't gimp Jiggs back.

actionblackbird

Smash Journeyman
Versus Jiggs you just have to be super super super patient and space nairs/uairs most importantly. Bairs are your safest kill. Grabs are of course **** UNLESS they crouch a lot. Don't play near the edge where you'll get gimped so easy and you can't gimp Jiggs back.
I get the whole god like patience, as for grabbing jigs...well this is H-box were talking about, he's hard to grab >.> almost to impossible...

I say all falcon main should strategize on how to beat H-box Dx.

-garbing him is almost impossible.
-dthrow kneeing jigs at Low percentage is always a NO. why? cuz the rest will negate your knee. I mean there always mind gaming him to do just that.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
s2j (or anyone really), any thoughts on the sheik matchup? i know its pretty gay and blah blah blah shes a dumb breezy this, and she tilts that, but im looking for some real in-depth analysis kind of. i've been playing sheik players that are naturally campy as players, so i dont mind being patient, my problem is just that i find it difficult to exploit openings. im thinking.. maybe im just not recognizing openings fast enough. what do you guys think?

Top Bottom