• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

D

Deleted member

Can you retreat from a shield shield pressure with the nair if you're too close, seems like faster chars always wavedash oos and grab me when i try the nair.

my falcon spacing is, sub par at best. if you do get too close to their shield is there any safe way to step back a little bit or are they going to punish you?

and uh, my horse is amazing
you could n-air close to them and not fast fall and float back. That's the DC done usually with Falco to bait shield grabs.

But it doesn't work against great players (not more than once)

If they wavedash out of shield and grab you after a n-air you are doing something wrong that gives them enough time to wavedash to a grab

tubes

Smash Ace
Sheiks arent afraid of you
If this were true then they wouldn't camp in the first place. But that's not the point.

Just find out how they react to you being all up in their face and punish accordingly. Easier said then done but It's not impossible.

D

Deleted member

edit: refer to magus's post but i still don't think you should be stomping so close unless u are frame perfect

if you shffl a stomp into their shield and you are too close and their grab range isn't complete crap then you are likely to get shield grabbed since stomp has a little delay even with l-cancel

if you stomp their shield, don't fast fall and float back though you can make them grab the air and then punish

your 2nd question sort of confuses me, you can hold up slightly so you don't jump but still DI 'up'

Magus420

Smash Master
D-air can be up to -3 at best on block if you hit the shield directly before touching the ground (9 shieldstun; 12 landlag), so if you do you'd barely be able to hit them with a jab (hits on 3) before the grab (fastest is 7) can connect, or if you're not way too close use side-b to dodge (2 or 3ish) in time to avoid most grab ranges and then hit them.

Foy

Smash Champion
Hey s2J remember that one CGC that we played and i went sheik and was beating you but then you came back.

How did you do that? =[

D

Deleted member

yea

that was like 3 months ago

i vaguely remember doing a weak knee gimp from a scar wall jump knee

then u cp mute city

Foy

Smash Champion
I dont remember anything from that tournament. I just remember i was winning and then i lost.

I started maining falcon after that.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
you punish well

needs more dash dancing and better dd spacing though, your falcon plays really similarily to your ganon at the moment (which isn't necessarily a bad thing but falcon's dd being so good pretty much makes making use of it a must since it gives you more oppurtunities to bait)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You look like you are stil carrying the triforce of power. I see falcon but I keep picturing ganon over him lol.

Keep playing and ur falcon will be mcNasty. It will be nice having extra speed.

So are you picking up falcon as a CP?
I don't know but sometimes I just feel like playing him. If in tournament it just so happens that way then I will play him. I mean I tried it in tournament recently and it's going good, so.. might as well have some fun with him against top players perhaps. =P When i come down to the US next time, i'll give it a shot. It's not really a strategic char CP at all. lol.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
these days i cant really think of a matchup where falcon would be much, if any, more useful than ganon, assuming a certain level of competence with ganon (that level being kage/linguini)

maybe if a campy fox takes you to dk64 or rainbow cruise, but not much else i can think of and ganon isnt too bad on cruise either

just use falcon against ganon slayers with little falcon experience, if one of those ever shows up at a tournament

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I dont remember anything from that tournament. I just remember i was winning and then i lost.

I started maining falcon after that.
you LIE!

Get outta here, ICs!

. . . lol but yeah. jk
Ive seen that falcon before. not bad!

I kinda remember that scarjump combo too.
but that Cp was too epic. Me and burto just looked at each other after the stage was picked and went "wtf?"

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I don't know but sometimes I just feel like playing him. If in tournament it just so happens that way then I will play him. I mean I tried it in tournament recently and it's going good, so.. might as well have some fun with him against top players perhaps. =P When i come down to the US next time, i'll give it a shot. It's not really a strategic char CP at all. lol.
Well Id love to get some games in with your falcon next time we play.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
these days i cant really think of a matchup where falcon would be much, if any, more useful than ganon, assuming a certain level of competence with ganon (that level being kage/linguini)

maybe if a campy fox takes you to dk64 or rainbow cruise, but not much else i can think of and ganon isnt too bad on cruise either

just use falcon against ganon slayers with little falcon experience, if one of those ever shows up at a tournament
Lol, Ya if one of those shows up.. I can't even come up with anyone on the top of my head.. Maybe some of the FL guys? Anyways.. I mean still.. even if I do bad with Ganon in general then most of spacies main are Falcon slayers lol.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
heres the deal...after 4+ years of dreaming to go play in tourneys i finally went to 2 a while ago.(Ownapalooza III and CGC) and noticed right off the bat that im really inconsistent when things get clutch or if im under pressure. and im very terrible @ match ups.im just excited and uplifted to finally play people i watch in tourneys on youtube ( its so hype actually getting to meet them,call me nerd if you want)of course i get ***** but im still driven to play more(most of the time people feel discouraged or hopeless) anyhow... some of the problems i face is playing falcon too fast,fast falling all aerials vs all characters,always being a aggressive or always approaching never retreating. i played people and they would say my falcon is good by modesty and i appreciate that,but at the moment i need all the help i can get but i don't know where to start or what to practice or even focus on. i wish to play the game properly now.(playing smart,being patient,not rushing,building a mind set during tourneys play tons and tons of people without tiring) i will be making a critiquing thread and ill elaborate more on how i am during tournament play and what not.all i asked for is serious critiquing and tips.i want to clean up my play style over all. Thats all i asked for please help me out.if you think i put too much thought into it forgive me...

DippnDots

Feral Youth
can't give you much till you upload videos, but to take any character to a tournament and expect to do well you need the following.

Knowledge of the match ups: It doesn't matter how well you react, consistent your tech skill is, or how well you combo if you don't know what works and what doesn't work. Once you understand the options that each character has in given situations, you'll be able to understand when people are playing their character and when people are playing you. And that leads into all that mindgame stuff people talk about.

Forethought: You need to know more than just character options, you need to be aware of what's going to happen after a character does something. Stay a step ahead of your opponent and you'll win the race, right? An instance to help that make any sense at all: You're on the edge of a platform with you're shield up, a falcon comes along and uairs you, hence knocking you off the platform, you fall off the platform from the momentum, and because you didn't realize you were going to fall, you don't wiggle out of the tumble animation and miss the tech. Falcon gets a free whatever-he-wants on you. Extremely small tidbits like that can completely turn the tide in a tournament setting. Not too mention, the shock of something small like that can easily throw off your concentration.

Mindset: Don't go into a match thinking "i'm going to win." or "i'm going to lose." winning or losing doesn't exist during the match. The only thing that's there is your opponent, you, and a stage. Not trying to be philosophical here, my point is: If you're thinking "I'm going to win" or "I'm going to lose" instead of "From his approach he's going to nair, i should bair" you're going to eat that nair.

Experience.

that's my thoughts at 4 am ;)

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
can't give you much till you upload videos, but to take any character to a tournament and expect to do well you need the following.

Knowledge of the match ups: It doesn't matter how well you react, consistent your tech skill is, or how well you combo if you don't know what works and what doesn't work. Once you understand the options that each character has in given situations, you'll be able to understand when people are playing their character and when people are playing you. And that leads into all that mindgame stuff people talk about.

Forethought: You need to know more than just character options, you need to be aware of what's going to happen after a character does something. Stay a step ahead of your opponent and you'll win the race, right? An instance to help that make any sense at all: You're on the edge of a platform with you're shield up, a falcon comes along and uairs you, hence knocking you off the platform, you fall off the platform from the momentum, and because you didn't realize you were going to fall, you don't wiggle out of the tumble animation and miss the tech. Falcon gets a free whatever-he-wants on you. Extremely small tidbits like that can completely turn the tide in a tournament setting. Not too mention, the shock of something small like that can easily throw off your concentration.

Mindset: Don't go into a match thinking "i'm going to win." or "i'm going to lose." winning or losing doesn't exist during the match. The only thing that's there is your opponent, you, and a stage. Not trying to be philosophical here, my point is: If you're thinking "I'm going to win" or "I'm going to lose" instead of "From his approach he's going to nair, i should bair" you're going to eat that nair.

Experience.

that's my thoughts at 4 am ;)
very elaborate indeed save some tip for the Critique thread ^^. when i go to a tourney my mind is just set on the game itself nothing more.becuase when my mind goes off to something i like i easily lose focus.my attention span is S&*# and i need all the concentration i can get.i also notice the little things mater as well.and you did bring up a good point about match ups i noticed what i could do and could not quick. and i lost when i could have won lol.(the little things indeed.)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
If I knee to jab repeatedly on people's shields, can I time it so that they can't get out? From what I've seen I've either just forced them to drop their shield, gotten to the point where the knee shield stabs, broken their shield, or forced a grab that just got them knee'd. The only way I've ever seen if not work is if I mess up an l-cancel or if they buffer a roll.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
If I knee to jab repeatedly on people's shields, can I time it so that they can't get out? From what I've seen I've either just forced them to drop their shield, gotten to the point where the knee shield stabs, broken their shield, or forced a grab that just got them knee'd. The only way I've ever seen if not work is if I mess up an l-cancel or if they buffer a roll.
people still get shields broken these days? i thought we stepped it up away from all that jazz.

im the same way nocturnalist. You were describing me perfectly, expect I've been to a few more tournaments.
well then thats not bad at we can compare,but man i saw that you got four stocked by hdl at pound having hope that you would take a stock.his link is superb

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
The one obvious thing that can be done is they can just CC grab after the knee take the jab and CC grab again. If you multi-jab that changes it up. Again I'm pretty sure if the person you played attacked after the jab rather than after the knee it's also easy to get out of. I know I did this a few times but I only sorta realized it was just like waiting for Falco's shine rather than the aerial near the end of us playing each other.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
well then thats not bad at we can compare,but man i saw that you got four stocked by hdl at pound having hope that you would take a stock.his link is superb

that was Skler. I never played HDL, but there were too many ****ing links there. Never played a link before that tournament.

Top Bottom