• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

BunBun

Smash Master
Or latin.

Kage, depending on how it's written, can mean shadow (影, 陰, 蔭, or 翳), be a brownish type of color (鹿毛), or a type of moss (蘿).

The more you know...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Bowser's arms legs and head become invincible during his double jump.... yeah.

starts frame 6 lasts until frame 49 (animation stops after 49)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Don't know if this was already posted since I haven't read 35 pages, but Marth's neutral B has some weird momentum acceleration mechanic. If you wavedash neutral B or run dash cancel neutral B at the end of the stage, you'll fall off the edge. And if you use it in your second jump off the stage, it can be really hard to get back unless you know about this.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya it's Ka-gay and it means Shadow! There, happy? =P

I wrote Kage because it fits the 4 letter name in melee and I've had this name ever since my childhood.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i thought it was like "cage" too, until carl and victor told me the right way loooool.

ka-gay sounds a lot better than cage anyway.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You probaly could assume from "Hokage" that you'd say Kage that way haha, from Naruto. I don't know what else Hokage is really used for, since I do not know much about asian culture and practices/traditions.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
You could also assume it because each vowel is pronounced exactly the same every single time it's in Japanese (except when something's silent, but that's pretty rare).

BunBun

Smash Master
You probaly could assume from "Hokage" that you'd say Kage that way haha, from Naruto. I don't know what else Hokage is really used for, since I do not know much about asian culture and practices/traditions.
火影(hokage) is a noun. It's the shadows cast by something moving across firelight. It can also be written as 灯影 and mean basically the same thing (灯 is an old lantern or lamp, rather than 火 - fire).

In lore that was around waaaaaaaay before that Naruto crap, some ninja were referred to as hokage, because the only thing that people would see of them would be their shadows in the firelight.

So yeah...

Um...for the thread...There can be two DeDeDe's on screen at once in DL64.

Smash Master
The little stars underneath your tag at the character select screen you get for winning cap out at 255
And the training mode combo caps at 32,767. This makes sense, since 255 in binary is

1111 1111, which corresponds to a single byte of data.

32767 in binary is:

1111 1111 1111 1111

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
32767 in binary is:

1111 1111 1111 1111
Thats actually only partially true.

In a signed 16-bit integer, the maximum value is 32767. This is because one bit is used to determine whether its a positive or negative number.

In an unsigned 16-bit integer, the maximum value is 65535. All 16 bits are used for positive numbering.

It might seem like an unsigned can hold more numbers, but its actually the same because signed has the same range in the negative numbers.

The question is, why would HAL use a signed 16-bit int for something that won't ever be negative?

Stev

Smash Ace
Thats actually only partially true.

In a signed 16-bit integer, the maximum value is 32767. This is because one bit is used to determine whether its a positive or negative number.

In an unsigned 16-bit integer, the maximum value is 65535. All 16 bits are used for positive numbering.

It might seem like an unsigned can hold more numbers, but its actually the same because signed has the same range in the negative numbers.

The question is, why would HAL use a signed 16-bit int for something that won't ever be negative?
Maybe they were initially gonna have SD's count as negative, but changed it in the end cuz that would be dumb

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That doesn't even make sense... its a max combo counter. Why would SDs be included in there at all? plus its training mode....

Jonas

Smash Champion
The number display stops counting at 9999 in game modes like Cruel Melee, but the game still keeps count until 32767 :p (it displays the correct number in the highscore)
Don't go :mad: at me if I got the numbers wrong though, because I'm really not sure.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Fox can sideb platform edgecancel from the ledge on: DL64, BF, PS and FoD*
Fox can ledgehop waveland onto the platform on: DL64, BF, YS and FoD*
Fox can middle platform to middle platform edge cancel on: PS and YS
Fox can middle platform top top platform edge cancel on: BF, DL64, and YS

*FoD requires specific platform heights to do this

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
That doesn't even make sense... its a max combo counter. Why would SDs be included in there at all? plus its training mode....
why does daisy's trophy have a 3rd eye in the back of her head in the japanese setting of the game?

Id say that good programming is why flame canceling got taken out, bad programming is why kirby can still do it. (they forgot)

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Does falcons hitbox get larger if he moonwalks?

The other night i was grabbed from behind by falcon farther than ever. I don't even think i tried hitting falcon with a move and he grabbed me from a ridiculous distance.

Thing is he was moonwalking when doing it. I know falcon can grab from behind but why exactly was i grabbed so far away?

JBM>>Smeesh compared to the normal JBM>Smeesh grab.

The arrows represent the spacing in between. If it helps i was playing falco and almost a full ftilt behind falcon.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There is a big hitbox of falcon's grab behind him during a dash grab. Combined with movement backwards, its possible to grab from a much farther distance than you'd think.

Standing Grab

Dash Grab

Tamoo

Smash Master
you mean up b :p

You can do pretty cool stuff with characters up-bs from some platforms if they are teleporting ones like shiek, pika or zelda. Roll to the edge of a platform on yoshi's and direct the up down and you can just grab the edge straight from it.

Top Bottom