• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Orlando 2010 - April 16-18th ($7,000) - RESULTS THREAD IS UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
how is it possible to beat a scrooging mk on green greens

^ theres rules on planking, 35 lgl

Player-1

Smash Legend
This might not be what people prefer right now, but for now just be grateful brawl is on the circuit, eventually they'll probably change it if people keep mentioning it at a later event or next circuit IF they still have it on, which they might not if everyone keeps bashing on them for the rules, just give it time.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
It is not that. It is that the BBR was working with them to provide a ruleset and to them they were completely ignored.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You infinite them with ddd at any point on the stage
that leads into the question of why did they not ban infinte wall grabs. u could stop at 200% and back throw and its GGs.

CO, boycott mlg with me

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The rule regarding using the same character as your opponent will be changed.

No-spring controllers will be allowed.

As for stages: no johns. Learn to play on them. This will not be changed. Many of these stages are still used commonly in tournaments around the country to. Just because they are not used in YOUR region, does not mean your region is the standard (notice already how some people had no problem with Pictochat, because it is used int their region...but other people did!). The only exceptions to this are Green Greens and Norfair (Norfair only being used in the MW still). We want to see what play on these stages would be like, particularly now that there is a edge grab rule (a rule that did not exist when many of these stages were removed).

Regarding wireless controllers: still trying to see if any exceptions can be made but it seems doubtful. I understand the frustration some of you will have with this. The problem is that it is a logistical issue. There are literally more blue tooth devices in an MLG venue then there are blue tooth channels (or so is my understanding). So...what if we allowed you to use these controllers, then in the middle of your match the controller stopped responding or stopped reading inputs because of interference? What would you say then? Now imagine if it were a match with, say, $1,000 on the line? This isn't a "maybe it will happen but probably not" this is a "probably will occur" scenario considering the sheer volume of blue tooth devices in an MLG venue.

Regarding suicide moves: if the game ends with you winning, then you win. If the game ends in a tie, then you play a 1-stock, 4 minute match on the same stage with the same characters. You simply follow the outcome the game lays out (hence why you don't need a rule talking about it, you only need a rule about it if it is something different then what the game says). Frankly I'm not sure why this was never the standard, except to give a little boost to Bowser because he was oh-so-close to being viable when the game released (so it seemed then at least, lol).

CO18

Smash Hero
The rule regarding using the same character as your opponent will be changed.
No-spring controllers will be allowed.

As for stages: no johns. Learn to play on them. This will not be changed. Many of these stages are still used commonly in tournaments around the country to. Just because they are not used in YOUR region, does not mean your region is the standard (notice already how some people had no problem with Pictochat, because it is used int their region...but other people did!). The only exceptions to this are Green Greens and Norfair (Norfair only being used in the MW still). We want to see what play on these stages would be like, particularly now that there is a edge grab rule (a rule that did not exist when many of these stages were removed).

Regarding wireless controllers: still trying to see if any exceptions can be made but it seems doubtful. I understand the frustration some of you will have with this. The problem is that it is a logistical issue. There are literally more blue tooth devices in an MLG venue then there are blue tooth channels (or so is my understanding). So...what if we allowed you to use these controllers, then in the middle of your match the controller stopped responding or stopped reading inputs because of interference? What would you say then? Now imagine if it were a match with, say, $1,000 on the line? This isn't a "maybe it will happen but probably not" this is a "probably will occur" scenario considering the sheer volume of blue tooth devices in an MLG venue.

Regarding suicide moves: if the game ends with you winning, then you win. If the game ends in a tie, then you play a 1-stock, 4 minute match on the same stage with the same characters. You simply follow the outcome the game lays out (hence why you don't need a rule talking about it, you only need a rule about it if it is something different then what the game says). Frankly I'm not sure why this was never the standard, except to give a little boost to Bowser because he was oh-so-close to being viable when the game released (so it seemed then at least, lol).
Do you mean same char as your teammate? I didnt see anything about not using the same char as opponent that wouldnt make sense..

hunger!

Smash Champion
don't say that norfair is only being used in the MIDWEST because that is a lie. MIDWEST isnt using norfair. OHIO is. this stagelist and ruleset are god awful.

this is like a 2008 stagelist. nice job MLG.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Do you mean same char as your teammate? I didnt see anything about not using the same char as opponent that wouldnt make sense..
Yes, same character as teammate. IE you and your teammate will be able to use the same character. This rule will be fixed.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I still don't see how you think Norfair is a good idea. No one wants to see how it'll pan out because it won't pan out good.

The lava will have more kills than an actual player in some cases. Is that a good thing?

We might as well allow WarioWare. You should get extra points for completing minigames!

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
WTF does Blue tooth have to do with the wii remotes...? The only interference with the Wii Remote that I'm knowledgeable about is a Microwave, or fire...

Allied

Smash Master
You need to use wii motes anyway to turn on the wiis

gg mlg ur still gonna have syncing problems

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I disagree with Rule 13, among other rules. Banning a stage has no merit if you cannot take into account how well you fare against your opponent's round 1 character.

Also, it should probably be mentioned in the rules somewhere that team attack should be on. However, it seems that this ruleset was targeting mostly singles play.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to how MLG constructed this ruleset. At first I thought they'd been talking to overswarm, but even he couldn't have come up with this... garbage (no offense). I appreciate that MLG picked up brawl, but some of these rules are just absurd, they neither please the competetive or casual crowd. wtf? They shoudl follow the "official" ruleset to a t. it was made that way for a reason.

who made those rules anyway? The person seems to have a grasp of how we do things, but still ignored some key things (stalling rule for example).

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You only need 1 wiimote to turn on every station. And it only needs to be used at the beginning to set the wii's up. And even if there is interference, all you need it for is to get to the Brawl icon and to click start, so you can work your way through the interference.

Again, I'm trying to see if some exceptions can be made, at least for Orlando, but don't count on anything. Even if you were allowed to use the wii remote, you can't count on it working like it would at your typical brawl tournament where there are <30 wiis and <10 blue tooth signals.

The lava will have more kills than an actual player in some cases. Is that a good thing?
Really. So, if you are on the stage by yourself, you are telling me you can't avoid the lava? Learn to play the game/stage.

Or are you saying that you can't avoid it because of the opponent...in which case the opponent knows the stage better then you do if he can force you into the lava and you can't return the favor.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
You only need 1 wiimote to turn on every station. And it only needs to be used at the beginning to set the wii's up. And even if there is interference, all you need it for is to get to the Brawl icon and to click start, so you can work your way through the interference.

Really. So, if you are on the stage by yourself, you are telling me you can't avoid the lava? Learn to play the game/stage.
Interesting, because there are two or four players in a match. Cool beans. Didn't know we were playing 1 v 0's.

I'm not saying that just being out in the open and the lava hitting you will happen all the time. That's stupid. But a kill actually happening because of lava is also stupid, ie, getting hit when you can survive, then touching lava.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
All you have to do is shield or airdodge or get in the safety tank thing or ****ing fly up above the screen lol. If you're getting killed by lava, your opponent made it happen or you're a ****ing scrub. Jesus.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I didn't say anything about wiimote usage. I was talking about Norfair.

I just don't like the stage. And **** can happen. Will it be interesting? Sure. And I may end up liking Norfair matches. I have no idea. I just don't think it should be allowed because of potential environmental hazards.

clowsui

Smash Legend
the lava actually works in a systematic manner on norfair...if i had a wii i'd make a long thread on it but i don't :/ but:

1. the horizontal wave is slow moving + can be powershielded fully (iirc). with good di you should never die from this below 130-140 (i THINK)
2. the vertical spurts that often come many at a time in one place...they gravitate towards characters so you just have to retreat in those cases
3. the large vertical wave everyone knows how to avoid, no need to go into detail on this one

that's really all there is to complain about this stage, while i don't like playing on it there's ways to avoid the hazards...

also if you're talking about environmental hazards PLEASE, let's ban brinstar/halberd/delfino (water)/rainbow cruise (the donut blocks)

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Talk to these Peeps AZ... I don't care about any of the stage stuff.... or anything else... The Only thing that concerns me is my dang on controller... If you all can change the rules for characters being on the same team. Then I'm sure you can pull a couple strings for Wii remote users.

and since they are going to have use a Wii remote to turn on the Wii, it's contradicting the ruleset which negates the use of them. So if they can use it to turn on the Wii why can't we use it in Gameplay. That Wii remote they're using is still a liability....

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
I heard the rulset is terrible, lol let green greens be a counterpick and add norfair too, wtf is this shi lol, i think this is unfair, many people had already bought plane tickects and all that but the ruleset came after and now their life is screwed

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Seriously though, although minor, you guys should check out rule 13 =x

It says that after the round 1 stage is selected, you and your opponent may ban a stage. BEFORE ROUND 1 IS PLAYED.

Bans are supposed to be used to counter an opponent, not as a stage you simply do not want to play on. @_@

lou4222

Smash Lord
I feel for people like Y.b.M and possible Razer who have purchased plane tickets etc and find out today that their controller ( which is standard for the wii) is banned. Not fair at all.

As for the stages, people should really stop complaining about them. MLG hooked brawl, and is giving out crap tons of money. Complainging and being ungrateful will get us dropped faster than melee.

Random seeding sucks, but to be the best you have to beat the best. That why its double elimination. If you get screwed in winners then you have an opportunity to wreck in losers.

Something has to be done for Y.b.M though and anyone else in that kind of predicament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom