• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 7 - It's Over, Nothing to See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Spear Guy is not at all a bad set. You clearly know how to translate your character, how to connect attacks into a playstyle, and how to keep the moveset easy and fun to read - I guess that comes of doing a bit of lurking before making your set, so kudos for that.

Some of the attacks seem a bit too powerful - but then again, they have some intense lag on them, so maybe I'm misfiring here.
Coloured text is sometimes tricky to read, but as long as you stick to pastels, colouring your headers, at least, is the best choice you can make.
The set's pretty realistic and doesn't get too crazy with the creativity; that's totally fine, really. Spear Guy feels like he could fit into Brawl without missing a beat. I look forward to your next set, darksamus77; you've got some real potential! :bee:

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
GAH! I've been reading through "the MYM masterlist" (aka the top 50 sets of all time) and I noticed Donna.

I'd heard about this before. One of the few GOOD OCs made... and when I read it, my jaw dropped.

The "experimental" character I'd mentioned uses the same mechanic (an item that functions like a normal item for most, but becomes part of the character when he picks it up). I'd thought it was original... Now, it might still be (totally different context and a few extra pieces to the mechanic)... but I feel so naive now.

But that's not what this post is about. I'm here to say the write up for Kglue's/My joint set is finally done (hype) and once formatting is finished... it will be posted. Still aiming for MYM8 though.

and for Kat (cuz I might have been unclear) Seymour is NOT the joint set, it's ANOTHER set entirely. and it isn't the experimental set either, or the grab-mechanic sets... GAH! SO MANY IDEAS! SO LITTLE TIME!

Oh! and welcome, Darksamus! I'm quite new here too. been lurking a while, but I think you bested my first set in a long shot. The language was a bit confusing... but I think I understood the jist of each move. I plan to write a review of it soon (it'd be my fourth review if Chrome would stop screwing me over!) but for now... I'm off to do world history Homework (and find some sets to vote for!)

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord

Shiki Misaki is one of the main characters of The World Ends with You and serves as Neku's partner during his first Reapers' Game.

Shiki tries her best to help others. If she has something to say, she won't hesitate to say it. She always acts kind and positive. Despite the happy attitude she likes to show, Shiki feels inferior or useless to others, which make her jealous of her idols. Still, she tries her best to not let these feelings affect her and turns them around into positive ones. She is an amazing seamstress and wants to be a fashion designer when she grows up. She even made the clothes she wears!

Shiki's one psych involves her animating Mr. Mew through psychomancy. The stuffed animal comes alive and becomes a ferocious, clawing beast that attacks enemies. She also seems to be capable of duplicating Mr. Mew. This has only been done during her fusion attacks with Neku and in the storyline, but NOT in battle as a special attack. While Shiki seems to be able to command Mr. Mew, her control is indirect at best; she states that he "does his own thing". Her ability to animate objects only works on Mr. Mew. Her fusion attacks also allow her to transform Mr. Mew into more powerful, larger forms with stronger abilities. She can also jump which doubles her attack and guard against enemy attacks.

It is assumed from the Mr. Mew suit description that some degree of this ability originates from before she entered the UG, although this is not confirmed.

To avoid any confusion, Shiki's stuffed animal will be referred as Mr. Mew.

Size - 6/10
She's not exactly the tall type. She's around the same height of Luigi.

Weight - 3/10
She's also pretty light. Not saying girls are fragile, but...you get what i mean.

Power - 5/10
While nothing impressive, her power does get stronger via her down special...

Ground Speed - 3/10
She's not exactly the fastest runner, is she?

Attack Speed - 8.5/10
She's actually a pretty fast fighter, just not Metaknight fast or anything.

Traction - 5/10
Traction's just okay here.

Jumps - 7.5/10
Shiki's jumps are actually pretty good, jumping 2 stage builder blocks on each jump.

Falling Speed - 4.5/10
She drops down kinda slow.

Range - 9/10
Shiki has great range, most of the time using her Mr. Mew toy to fight.

Priority - 7/10
Nothing impressive, but decent enough.

Recovery - 5.5/10
Above average here...probably going to edit this post as soon as a I make the special.

Crouch - 6/10

Shiki has almost all of her attacks focusing on her stuffed animal, Mr. Mew. It attacks where Shiki commands it to go, but depending how far the attack goes, Mr. Mew will stay on that spot, away from Shiki. If Shiki decides another attack while Mr. Mew is still away from her, he'll do as he's told, and attack in that direction he's told to attack at the same spot he's on. This basically means that this can help expand Shiki's range. Mr. Mew will float over pits. Beware though; the further away Mr. Mew is, the more exposed she is to danger. Mr. Mew moves when Shiki moves. When Shiki jumps, he jumps. When Shiki moves right, he moves right. And so on. Also, note that the original Mr. Mew does not suffer any knockback from attacks that deal less than 20% damage, where in that case, Mr. Mew will flinch (but is never sent flying). If Shiki is knocked away, Mr. Mew will be pulled along with her.

If Shiki has created a Mr. Mew clone via her neutral special, the clone will not be apart from Shiki, so she can use that clone to defend herself.

Neutral Special - Mr. Mew Clone

Shiki concentrates her energy, and Mr. Mew start glowing. After 2 seconds, Mr. Mew stops glowing, causing a second Mr. Mew to appear. Shiki cannot create another Mr. Mew clone, until after 10 seconds, and Shiki can only control 3 Mr. Mews at a time. What this can do to benefit Shiki is that after she uses an attack involving Mr. Mew, she can use another Mr. Mew to attack in a row, without worrying about ending or beginning lag during the attack.

The Mr. Mew clones follows Shiki like Pikmin, will never leave her side and can be easily dispatched by dealing 15% damage on each, though the original Mr. Mew can never be destroyed.

Side Special - Retreat
If Mr. Mew is away from Shiki, using the side special can help reposition him. Press the side special only once and quickly will cause Mr. Mew to move back towards Shiki half a stage builder block. Holding the Side special for a second will cause Mr. Mew to rocket straight back to Shiki, with anyone in the way will suffer 12% damage, with okay knockback. There is pretty much no lag (though it'll take half a second for Mr. Mew to return holding the side special), and this should be used often if Shiki's in a jam.
[ 12% ]

Down Special - Light Puck
After less than half a second, Shiki will start having a green circle glow around her. With this green glow, at the end of every combo (which is pretty much any attack that deals more than flinching knockback), the power will multiple X2. Also, after being multiplied once, the main combo will be multiplied by 1.5 (while holding the light puck of course). The power can be multiplied once more to a X3 on the finishing combo, and a X2 on the main combo.

After doing the finishing combo, The light puck will then travel to the opponent in a short second, attaching to them, giving THEM the effect. However, the light puck will automatically travel back to Shiki after 10 seconds. The light puck doesn't travel back to the opponent automatically, giving her the advantage of this move. If you mess up for some reason, pressing and holding the down special button for 2 seconds will cause the light puck to disappear.

Up Special - Piggie Ride
Shiki lets out a, "Go, Mr. Mew!" This causes Mr. Mew to grow 1.5 of Shiki's size, which takes only half a second. Mr. Mew will then carry Shiki, flying her to safety. He'll carry Shiki in any direction, up to 6 stage builder blocks. This has little lag at both ends.

Note that Shiki cannot use her Giant Mr. Mew to fend off enemies (though if you created a Mr. Mew clone, Shiki can use that). However, considering you can't really hurt a stuffed animal, Shiki's is perfectly safe from below, while riding Mr. Mew. If going in a complete straight direction, Mr. Mew can attack opponents by charging into for 12% damage, with okay knockback. If Mr. Mew was away from Shiki when using this move, it'll take an extra second of lag for the recovery to work and he'll return to Shiki's side.
[ 12% ]

Neutral A attack - Cat Guard

Mr. Mew will let out a purple glow, and will then create a psychic barrier that will fully protect Shiki all around her. It'll protect her from almost any attack that deals less than 20% damage. However, if Shiki is attacked 20% damage or more, the barrier will immediately break, though the attack does 5% less damage. It'll take half a second for the barrier to appear, and after another second, the barrier will disappear.
[ 0% ]

Side tilt - Cat Attack
Shiki points forward, sending Mr. Mew flying forward to attack anyone in 2 stage builder blocks range (this is also where Mr. Mew will end up). Anyone within that range will be locked on for an attack by Mr. Mew. Mr. Mew will scratch the opponent 4 times, each dealing 2% damage and a flinch each, and finishes it off with a claw uppercut, dealing 4% damage, and little knockback. The general combo is really fast, though there's above average ending lag. The finishing combo has a good hitbox and priority.
[ 2% x 4 + 6% ]

Up tilt - Cat Strike
Mr. Mew lets out a yellow charge, and charges straight up 1 stage builder block...and just floats there. Anyway, hitting anyone in that charge will deal a decent 12% damage and okay upwards vertical knockback. This has hardly any beginning lag, but a bit of ending lag. The hitbox is mostly the yellow charge surround Mr. Mew, and has decent priority. If used right against bigger opponents like Bowser, it can be used to juggle opponents upwards, as Mr. Mew can continuously go upwards with the opponent. It's near impossible to juggle smaller opponents though.
[ 13% ]

Down tilt - Cat Bam
Shiki points at Mr. Mew, which causes him to rise into the air. He'll then headbutt back into the ground, causing an earthquake which expands around Mr. Mew 2 stage builder blocks. Anyone getting hit by this shockwave from the ground will suffer 10% damage with little knockback. This has only a bit of beginning lag, but average ending lag. This move has okay priority, and one of the few moves that don't change Mr. Mew's position. Opponents can easily avoid this by being in the air.
[ 10% ]

Dash Attack - Cat Latch

Mr. Mew quickly sticks his right arm forward and dashes forward. If the opponent is in a 2 stage builder block range, Mr. Mew will latch himself onto the opponent's face, causing the opponent to be distracted for 2 seconds. This has hardly any beginning lag, but will result in above average ending lag. This has okay priority. If Shiki has created a Mr. Mew clone when using the dash attack, they'll latch on to the opponent too for 5% damage each (provided that they're in range too). While Mr. Mew is still latched onto the opponent, Shiki can move around without Mr. Mew copying where she moves.
[ 5% ]

Forward Smash - Super Mr. Mew
Shiki points forward and lets out a, "Why don't you back off!?" This will cause Mr. Mew to grow to Bowser's size (which is also the size of the hitbox), and lets out his right paw while charging 2 stage builder blocks forward, before changing back to normal. Anyone within the beast's range will suffer 16% damage, with nice knockback uncharged, while fully charged, it deals off 21% damage with great knockback. There's above average of lag at both ends, though it's made up good priority.
[ 16-21% ]

Up Smash - Surprise Attack
Shiki points at Mr. Mew, causing him to crouch down for an attack. Shiki then says, "Go!" causing 2 Mr. Mew clones to appear on each side of the original, doing a claw uppercut reaching upwards a stage builder block, before disappearing again. Getting hit by this will get you suffering 17% damage with nice knockback uncharged, with 21% damage with good knockback fully charged. The Mr. Mews stretch out for 2 1/2 stage builder blocks. This move has above average beginning and ending lag, making it somewhat predictable, but it does have good priority.
[ 17-21% ]

Down Smash - Shiki's Barrage
Shiki says, "Ready to die?" before disappearing along with Mr. Mew. Suddenly, with anyone within a 2 stage builder block all around range will be attack from all sides by a reappearing Shiki doing a shockwave slash, and Mr. Mew doing a claw attack, dealing 5 slashes worth 3% damage with a flinch each for when both are separated, before returning to their original spots. Uncharged, the final attack only does little knockback, but fully charged will get good knockback. This barely any beginning lag, but ends with above average lag. If Shiki and Mr. Mew are together, they'll combine their slashes for more damage, for a total of possibly 30% damage. If there is more than one opponent, Shiki and Mr. Mew will home into the nearest opponent.

Use the first attack in this video for more clarification.
[ 3-30% ]

Neutral Aerial - Cut Shield
Shiki floats in midair, and Mr. Mew will go around Shiki really fast, clawing all around her (Mr. Mew being all by himself will just have in slashing on the spot), creating a virtual shield signified by blood-red scratch marks. Each slash 5% damage and can easily juggle opponents. This move is lagless at the beginning, though ends with above average lag, though it has good priority. You can only hold out this move for 3 seconds. This can easily be stopped by any projectile.
[ 5% ]

Forward Aerial - Crimson Cat
Shiki floats in midair and quickly sends Mr. Mew forward 2 stage builder blocks. An opponent with in that range will get locked and attacked by Mr. Mew with 3 claw attacks that deal 2% damage and a flinch each. Suddenly, Mr. Mew transforms into a crimson red boomerang shape pointing forward, and flies straight forward, with anyone in the way will suffer 8-9% damage with nice knockback. This part of the move has great priority. The attack overall is really fast at the beginning, but ends with somewhat heavy lag. This is arguably Shiki's best aerial, and it sends Mr. Mew forward the furthest of all Shiki's moves.
[ 2% x 3 + 8-9% ]

Backwards Aerial - Back Saver
Shiki quickly sends Mr. Mew flying behind her, homing in and bashing into her opponent for 12% damage with okay knockback. This hardly takes up any beginning lag, but average ending lag. This has good priority, and puts Mr. Mew in a different position behind her, whether it be where he hit the opponent, or exactly 3 blocks behind him (if the opponent is not in range.)

During an aerial attack, if the opponent is behind her, quickly moving the control stick behind her with the will cause Shiki to use this attack automatically, saving you in time. Mr. Mew's location does not matter.
[ 12% ]

Down Aerial - Lazer Beams
Shiki quickly says, "Go!" Mr. Mew quickly looks downwards, and his eyes shine, firing 2 thin pink lazer beams from them, reaching 2 stage builder blocks. Getting hit by these beams will deal off 12% damage with nice knockback. This has a bit of beginning and above average ending lag. The lazer beams have good priority, and the bounce off of floors and walls, until they fade out after 2 seconds. They travel at the speed of Pikachu's neutral special.
[ 12% ]

Upwards Aerial - Mewiconrana
Mr. Mew flies upward a stage builder block, and anyone caught in the way will have Mr. Mew grab them in midair and throw them 2 stage builder blocks in the direction you choose with 8% damage. This has only a bit of lag at either ends. This has good priority. If used correctly by constantly throwing the opponent upwards, it can be used to aerial chain grab, but it is easy to DI out at lower percentages.
[ 8% ]

Grab - Mew's Power
Mr. Mew will grab his opponent with one of his arms, lifting them off the ground. This has short range, but is very fast.

Pummel - Cat Punch
Mr. Mew uses his free arm to pound on the opponent for 1% damage a pummel. It's goes at a really fast pace.

Forward Throw - Cat Latcher
Mr. Mew latches on to the opponents face, scratching them furiously for 10% damage, before knocking them away with little knockback.
[ 10% ]

Backwards Throw - Around The World
Mr. Mew throws his opponent around and around, like Mario's back throw, except, you know, he's floating in midair. It deals off 12% damage with okay knockback. What is this stuffed animal drinking?
[ 12% ]

Down Throw - SmackDown
Mr. Mew throws his opponent so hard down to the ground, they bounce off the floor with 13% damage with nice knockback.
[ 13% ]

Up Throw - Spin
Mr. Mew hurls his opponent round and round like a ball and chain. He then will throw his opponent upwards, being bored of throwing them for 12% damage with okay knockback.
[ 12% ]

Mewzilla
Shiki Misaki has grabbed the Smash ball! Neku appears by Shiki's side, with her saying, "Go Mr. Mew!" While Neku says, "Get em, Piggie!" Suddenly, Mr. Mew grows to Godzilla-like proportions, in the background, while Shiki and Neku stand on his shoulders. Suddenly, Mr. Mew's eyes grow bright pink, blasting the stage with a huge lazer beam. It covers 7/8ths of Final Destination any one caught in the ray's blast will suffer a huge 40% damage with great knockback. Generic final smash, i know, but for every opponent that's caught in the blast, they'll heal Shiki 5% each.

Shiki has one thing that gives her an advantage over most characters: Her stuffed animal, Mr. Mew. Now, she can use Mr. Mew to attack from far ranges while just standing there, making her look like a lazy b*tch. Use her side tilt, forward smash, and forward aerial, she can move Mr. Mew forward. Using her up tilt, up smash and up aerial, it'll move Mr. Mew upwards. Use those moves and her side special to get Mr. Mew into the right position for an attack. Whenever you feel that Mr. Mew is too far from Shiki, use her side special to get Mr. Mew flying back to her.

As for basic damage racking, her side tilt is the way to go. It's a really fast attack, and if all the hits connect, it'll be 16% damage every time. However, that only targets what's right in front of her, so if you want an all around range, her down smash is the next best option, especially if Mr. Mew is with Shiki and it has KO potential, but it's risky, so you might want to be careful at the end. You can even try latching Mr. Mew onto the opponent using the dash attack, and then following it up with an up smash. Speaking of KOs, you'll definitely want to use her forward smash and up smash, while both being laggy, they do have good range, hitboxes and priority, making them good options to finishing opponents off.

Of course, while Mr. Mew being far away gives her range, it also exposes her more to danger. Considering she's the not the fastest runner, and is on the light side, she'll have a rather tough time trying to suck up any hits. That's where her side special comes in. Mr. Mew will come in rushing to Shiki's side, for you to use your neutral A to protect yourself. If opponents are coming from above, use her up tilt to immediately stop them, and juggle. Opponents coming with an attack that is sure to break through the neutral A shield, use your down tilt to blow them away. It'll take a whole second for Mr. Mew to return of course, so I would advise using it as soon as the opponent is in a 2 stage builder block range. Then again, you could always use your down smash, as it's the only attack Shiki can do on her own...

Shiki's air game is decent enough. Shiki will definitely want to use her forward aerial the most as not only does it deal some good damage, and knockback, it'll also send Mr. Mew forward the most out of all her attacks. For opponents coming in close, use her neutral aerial to shake them away. You should use her back aerial often as well, as opponents can easily get behind her. Actually, it's good for a fast and a surprise attack. Her up aerial will come in handy if opponents don't like being aerial chained by throwing them upwards continuously.

Overall, Shiki has range, attack speed and power easily covered. She'll just be open a lot if Mr. Mew's not around her (you'll get nowhere if you just keep calling Mr. Mew back.) If you want, you can try making Mr. Mew not going more than 2 stage builder blocks away from her, but that shortens her already decent range.​
< Extras >
Up Taunt
Shiki looks at her Cellphone, plays with it, and puts it away.

Side Taunt
Shiki takes out a burger from her pocket and says, "It's Delicious!"

Down Taunt
Shiki dances around and Mr. Mew dances around too.

Victory Pose 1
Shiki lets out her hands, and says, "Losing's not an option!"

Victory Pose 2
Shiki hugs Mr. Mew into her arms and smiles. Awww...ain't that cute?

Victory Pose 3
Shiki will take off her hat, bows, and then Mr. Mew flies on top of her head, and pumps his fist.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
Luffy

The ideas are all in the set, but what's missing here is energy and excitement, the core parts of writing that make the reader want to read. You seem to take Luffy's stretching for granted, when the sheer concept of a guy who can snipe foes at the other end of the stage with punches and kicks deserves so much more emphasis. The range and shape of most of Luffy's attacks warrants mentioning, because his rubber consistancy means a "sweep kick" could be anything in terms of how far it reaches. You also seem to ignore the stretching with his playstyle, in which you simply reccommend Gear Second over Gear First and fast attacks over slow ones.

So, in short, you should have taken more advantage of Luffy's stretchyness, both for the set, and the set's writing too

Raichu
I'm looking foreward to seeing how you handle a set like this. Pokemon are both easy, and difficult to make sets for. You really have to get under the skin of the pokemon, understand their motives and strengths, while also drawing inspiration from the animal the pokemon was based off of. I reccommend reading Sandshrew, Caterpie and Venusaur for an understanding of what I mean.

As for Luffy, I had to stay true to his character, and camping is NOT like him. He prefers to just get right in the middle of the action, so he can kick ***. I COULD have made him a camper, but people are already saying that he's broken enough. Luffy's playstyle does need editing, but I am through with doing that. I'll just leave him as he is.

Raichu is going to be a big improvement from Luffy. I think your recommendations could have been a little better. Try reading Golem and Sandslash; they're good.

WHERE IS MY LUFFY REVIEW, MASTER WARLORD?!!! I've been waiting patiently, and you've just been ignoring him!! You can say that he sucks, I don't care; just review it, for the love of God!​

Agi

Smash Lord
WHERE IS MY LUFFY REVIEW, MASTER WARLORD?!!! I've been waiting patiently, and you've just been ignoring him!! You can say that he sucks, I don't care; just review it, for the love of God!
Geez, man. I had to wait two and a half months for my Hornet Man review. It's not like MYM is the only thing the leaders do.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
All right, all right. That was out of line. I'm sorry. I've just been having a stressful time lately. But that still isn't any excuse for blowing up like that. Again, I'm sorry.
I'll write a little review for you.

LUFFY is definitely a very unique moveset. You definitely know this character and know how he works. However, Second Gear seems broken due to 5% damage per SECOND in that mode. I think you restricted yourself on the elasticity of Luffy, though. The ability to stretch his body to enormous lengths is a nice ability that I feel is...not utilized as much as it could. It's still a nice set, very creative, and I hope you have plenty of other great ideas!

EDIT: Sorry if this seems...poor. Just trying to help you out, fellow MYM rookie :laugh:
EDIT2: I was planning to post a Rundas moveset for MYM, but he was done back in MYM4 :( Can I still submit it? It has plenty of different moves and a totally different Final Smash

Junahu

Smash Ace
darn, I fell behind on the thread *speed shoes activate!*

Stay and Puft:
I have to say that the concept alone could have carried this set, but the latter half became somewhat overstuffed with interactions. I could have taken the set up to the Dash Attack and called it your best work ever as that microcosm of attacks epitomises exactly what I enjoy about your movesets. But from that point, you appear overly determined to milk the concept to the bone, and it turned what should have been an ingeniously simple and quirky Paper Mario Boss into a little bit of a chore.
Still, overall, Huff'n'puff is one of your best sets yet.
For the purposes of throwing a Tuff Puff, Doesn't Dedede throw existing minions with Foreward-Tilt?

Shiki:
Ok, it's officially a law now that any TWEWY moveset gets praise from Junahu. But I want to think it's not just down to obvious series bias. I like to think TWEWY genuinely inspires people to make good sets.
I love simple ideas with clever executions, and it doesn't get much smarter than completely seperating Shiki's hitbox from her hurtbox. It's a two characters at once dynamic that works, because it's really only one character in two places. The concept is much like Bass & Treble and Gemini Man, except without as many intrusive interactions between Shiki and Mr.Mew.
Compared to Neku and Sho though, Shiki's organisation is rather basic and terribly lacking in style (considering TWEWY is a game all about funky things that look awesome). I'm also not convinced about making Mr Mew clones, as it waters down the core concept and blandly strikes off her unique vulnerabilities. Just because Shiki can canonically do something, doesn't neccessarily mean that she should
There's also the problem of what certain moves do when Mr.Mew is far away from Shiki, the earliest example being her Up-Special

Raichu is going to be a big improvement from Luffy. I think your recommendations could have been a little better. Try reading Golem and Sandslash; they're good.
0_0 My reccommendations are getting scrutinized? I'm glad you have the confidence to take nothing at face value, and it's nice to hear you're keeping yourself well read on movesets, but... really?
I have read Golem and Sandslash, And I like them in their own ways. But, for the purposes of understanding the motives and personalities of the pokemon themselves, I reccommended reading Sandshrew over Sandslash and Venusaur over Golem.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
I'll write a little review for you.

LUFFY is definitely a very unique moveset. You definitely know this character and know how he works. However, Second Gear seems broken due to 5% damage per SECOND in that mode. I think you restricted yourself on the elasticity of Luffy, though. The ability to stretch his body to enormous lengths is a nice ability that I feel is...not utilized as much as it could. It's still a nice set, very creative, and I hope you have plenty of other great ideas!

EDIT: Sorry if this seems...poor. Just trying to help you out, fellow MYM rookie :laugh:
EDIT2: I was planning to post a Rundas moveset for MYM, but he was done back in MYM4 :( Can I still submit it? It has plenty of different moves and a totally different Final Smash
Thank you for the praise. It seems that I finally got rid of all the problems people used to complain about when concerning Luffy. Now, there's some more. :laugh: But again, if I had fully utilized Luffy's stretchiness, he would have been broken beyond belief.

And you can post Rundas, even though he's been done before (as long as he's really different). It's the same case with Luffy. Koj did him in MYM3; you should check it out.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I'm The Skarmbliss of Commenting

Team Rocket Grunt

Brilliant concept, absolutely amazing. You make a multi-Pokemon set work together, but more than any prior set ever did before. This entire moveset almost feels like a tribute to Make Your Move, drawing on all the concepts of sets before it and making all sorts of references like Goo Chain to our twisted little culture.

The move interactions were all so entangled that it was truly hard to figure out where one character started and another character ended, but in a good way. You've got a lot of interesting, intricate combinations, encouraging the player to take a slow, methodical approach to unlock brilliant interactions.

Or not. The poison mechanic makes the Grunt into a much faster paced character, but in a rather disappointing way. First of all, while poisoning is definitely a strategy Team Rocket would go by, the way you implemented it is so unintuitive. Poison that has to be stacked by repeated attacks, that wears off after three seconds? It's really, really obtuse, and doesn't make sense for what one would think of as poison.

But the problem I see with this poison mechanic is that it makes so many of these ideas and interactions so much more difficult than they already were to take advantage of. Zubat has heavy mindgames with his Echolocation and use of psuedo-terrain alteration and copied hitboxes. It's very clever, if somewhat confusing. But if I'm playing as Grunt, and I have to hit the enemy with a poison attack in THREE SECONDS or lose ALL of the progress I've made towards KOing the foe in this stock, I'm not going to bother with it and focus entirely on just spamming out whatever poisoning moves I can.

It's certainly not impossible to implement some of the cool stuff you put in here, but with that incredibly punishing time limit constantly on my mind, I'll never be able to try it without being some sort of super player. It reminds me of the complaints you had with VideoMan.EXE, but I find Team Rocket Grunt even more guilty due to compounding these confusing interactions with a very harsh race against time.

There are other minor nitpicks I have about the set; Zubat has relative trouble getting into the air despite being an aerially focused character, and can't get very high into it either (wouldn't it've been simpler for him just to have very good aerial DI and low fallspeed?). Grimer's inability to take vertical knockback has so many implications that I can't quite grasp what all it implies. And of course there's the fact that they none of them have a direct recovery option (and even Houndour's is somewhat marginal).

What I lament though is that if Team Rocket Grunt kept all of its concepts, and the only thing different was that it got traditional KOs, this would be an easy super vote choice for me. As it is though, it's simply too overwhelming and the poison takes the spotlight off of what the real focus of the moveset is.

Despite all of the nasty, nasty things I've said, Team Rocket Grunt was a blast to read, and certainly a good moveset. Tearing movesets apart is how I show I care.

Wood Man

Agi, you certainly have a unique and relaxing writing style, but I'm afraid it got away from you in this moveset. You spend so much time behaving conversationally and take up so much room describing things; what could be summed into sentences takes up paragraphs. You can keep that tone, but still keep things relatively succinct.

What can I say about Wood Man? All in all, I have to say that it doesn't particularly feel like it'll fit in BitF MYM, personally.It has too many references to our style of movesetting and really isn't all that approachable of a set itself. Making seemingly random input relevant in certain moves, like with the Up Special, is a tad disorienting.

Let me start that I like the playstyle at its base. Grow a tree, get the opponent stuck, knock down tree, KO. It's simple enough but has a lot of room for choice and style and implementation. The other moves feel like they generally fall into one of three categories though: simple attacks that don't particularly fit elsewhere; weak gimping wind moves; and blatant moves with a twist. Very few attacks stood on their own, and the sheer number of "lol this move is useless o wait in this specific situational scenario it has XXX effect" moves was rather frustrating to read. Moves like Darwin were especially blatant.

In a plant like comparison, let me say that Wood Man was like grass. A nice solid base concept, but sprouts all over the place with different isolated ideas. I wish it had been more like a tree, where those individual moves instead branched out into different strategies flowing out of the same concept, instead of each standing on its own relatively weakly. Things like Woodicide just didn't fit into the big picture as well.

The concept was solid but the implementation felt a little dodgy. You mentioned in the chat that you had had some trouble fitting the aerials into the main playstyle. I hate to say it, but it feels rather obvious.

Huff N' Puff

Huff N' Puff is a bit of a kooky set. He's got a pretty awesome style of KOing going, and the use of Tuff Puffs as being knocked out of him works well, especially coupled with the size decreasing and inhalation regeneration.

Although I have to admit, I got pretty confused through it. Some movesets will introduce new concepts in with a move that function as rather standalones. Huff N' Puff introduces new concepts, and then weaves them into every concept introduced before and every concept introduced afterwards. There's such a sheer amount of stuff going on with him that it's rather mind-boggling. I almost want to say too much stuff.

Things like turning yourself into a Tuff Puff with your back aerial was honestly too much. It's awkward as an input, and with all of the other stuff already involved, and mindgames of changing Tuff Puff colors and so on, I basically at that point couldn't register all of the ideas anymore, and just had to say to myself "whole bunch of cool mindgames, don't get 'em"

It's rather amazing how consistently your movesets are working on levels of concepts above the rest of sets. I was barely able to keep up, and I'm not exactly a nincompoop.

I really liked what I was able to understand though, and I think that while his interouterinneractions were a bit overboard on confusion and alternate ways of approaching the same basic goal, the core of the moveset was brilliant and well played. Use of Dark Puffs to force the opponent into your attacks, balancing a ratio of damage percentage to number of cloudy minions, and getting the KO with the minion assisted inhale worked perfectly well in creating a very cool moveset. Definitely one of the better ones in the contest thusfar in my mind.

Spear Guy

Welcome to Make Your Move! From a read of Spear Guy, you don't seem to have any particularly glaring weaknesses, which is a good start. Organization needs a lot of work, presentation makes a huge difference in a moveset; solid white is a big no-no.

The moves aren't glowing with creativity but aren't particularly lacking either. The playstyle definitely has a frequent issue that a lot of moveset makers face early on; it was definitely made after the moveset. A good playstyle is already in your mind when you start a moveset, and the moves all then flow back into it. Being able to accomplish this is a huge step in improving as a setmaker.

Other than that, I have to say that this is a fairly promising start for a newcomer, so I'd simply recommend that you continue to read other movesets, emulate what is successful about their organizations and focus, and continue to write movesets. You'll quickly grow in no time.

And yes, there are no limitations on characters. It's not a first come, first serve basis. During Make Your Move 6 I believe we had three different movesets for some boss from Metroid named Gorea. So don't worry. I assure you no one is concerned about you doing a moveset for a character that was last done 3 contests ago.

Shiki

Shiki is a peculiarly interesting moveset in that while you're playing as her, you're controlling another character through her to protect her. It's in character and lusciously beautiful for strategy and playstyle.

What I regret though is that all of the moves can be more or less reduced to move in direction pointed, attack. The individual attacks focus too much on the basic running of the concept rather than utilizing it in interesting ways. It also makes Mr. Mew's movement extremely clunky and would make Shiki a pretty easy target, especially for characters with moves that let them move around quickly themselves.

Also, the aerials; are they activated when she's in the air, or when Mr. Mew is in the air? It won't necessarily be both under all circumstances. Also, I find it lulzy that a move titled "Surprise Attack" is described as predictable.

To put it simply, while controlling Mr. Mew from a distance is all well and good, there should've been a more smooth way to implement it than by simply making every other move Shiki have cause Mr. Mew to move independant of her.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
0_0 My reccommendations are getting scrutinized? I'm glad you have the confidence to take nothing at face value, and it's nice to hear you're keeping yourself well read on movesets, but... really?
I have read Golem and Sandslash, And I like them in their own ways. But, for the purposes of understanding the motives and personalities of the pokemon themselves, I reccommended reading Sandshrew over Sandslash and Venusaur over Golem.
What does "take nothing at face value" mean?

Anyways, I read the movesets you recommended, and I'm starting to get what you're saying. Raichu probably won't be finished before the end of MYM7. If he is, it'll be a very close call.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
DARK SAMUS

DESCRIPTION
Dark Samus is the walking remnants of Metroid Prime. Samus encouters her (yes, technically DS is a female also) in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Dark Samus feeds on phazon, and siphons it from any source she can find. She also is a very deadly fighter, able to perform some of Samus' attacks and some that are even MORE powerful than Samus'.

STATISTICS
Size-5 (exactly the same height as Samus, of course)
Weight-7 (Again, same stats as Samus)
Power-9 (This is a huge advantage over Samus, as she can perform more powerful attacks)
Fall Speed-7 (More like Samus' Melee falling speed)

SPECIALS

NEUTRAL-B->PHAZON
Dark Samus expels Phazon from her arm cannon, spreading it in the direction she's facing for the length of 2 Marios. For every second an opposing character touches the Phazon, they take 3% damage. The effect lasts for 10 seconds, then goes away. Dark Samus can also siphon the Phazon into her suit and heal 2% damage per second she stands in it. This is a disadvantage when fighting another Dark Samus, however, as any Dark Samus can heal using this Phazon.

SIDE-B->TRIPWIRE
Dark Samus expels a thin Phazon beam from her arm cannon horizontally in the direction she's facing. This attack does 8% damage and instantly forces any character who touches it to trip. It can be used for recovery also, as it covers around the same distance as Phazon. Tripwire can be used as a great way to confuse, surprise, and even frustrate an opponent.

UP-B->PHAZON JUMP
Dark Samus jumps much higher than normal (3x the size of a regular Samus jump. It has a meteor smash effect, as DS comes down with a Phazon slamming effect at the end of this recovery move. This move was pulled straight from Metroid Prime 3, and it does 10% damage. It has the range of Falcon's up-B with the effect of his Raptor Boost, without the helpless freefall IF she manages to hit another character. However, if DS does not hit anyone with this move, she goes into helpless freefall.

DOWN-B->PHAZON FORCEFIELD
Dark Samus creates a wall of phazon on both sides of her, repelling all attacks, particularly projectiles. It sends any projectiles back THE ENTIRE distance it covered to get there. It also damages anyone directly next to her, dealing 7% damage. The effect is rather quick, lasting a whole second, as it does in both Echoes and Corruption, roughly.

GRABS
Dark Samus is not a character known for any grab moves...at all. Her grab game should generally be avoided, as it's very slow with its starting lag. However, she can pummel an opponent at close range, so if you have time to execute it (and you won't be punished if you should miss), you will be rewarded. Every punch you execute deals 3% damage.

UP THROW->UPPERCUT
Dark Samus uppercuts the opponent, sending him/her skyward. It does 8% damage, and kills around 150%. Keep this in mind when your opponent is in highter percentiles.

DOWN THROW->SLAM
Dark Samus slams the opponent on the ground, dealing 7% damage. It sends the opponent vertically, about 3/4 of the height of the up-throw. This doesn't KO until ridiculous damages, so it's not a KO option.

SIDE THROW->BURST
Dark Samus holds the opponent by its head with her left hand, then fires a phazon burst from her arm cannon. It does 9% damage and has a lot of horizontal knockback, making it a great KO option starting at around 100% damage.

STANDARD ATTACKS

NEUTRAL-A->PUNCH COMBO
Identical to Samus' two-punch combo, Dark Samus punches, then follows with an overhead chop of the arm cannon, dealing 8-12% damage. A nice way to earn quick damage.

F-TILT->KICK
Identical to Samus', Dark Samus performs a fully extended kick with her leg. It does 8% damage, and takes down 1/4 of a shield.

U-TILT->SWIPE
Dark Samus swipes her arm cannon in an upward motion, dealing 6% damage. This move has decent vertical knockback, has decent priority, but doesn't kill until ridiculous percents. That's the only downside, as it blocks most aerials, giving an offensive character a defensive move.

D-TILT->LEG SWEEP
Another identical move to Samus', DS sweeps her leg in a circular motion, doing 8% damage. It knocks the opponent into the air, and is a great combo starter.

DASHING ATTACK->PHAZON COAT
Dark Samus gives herself a Phazon coat, and it enables DS to be invulnerable to all attacks for 1/2 a second. Anyone hit during that time suffers 9% damage and has a strong knockback, making it a useful KO move starting at 120%.

SMASH ATTACKS

UP SMASH->PHAZON PILLAR
Stealing this attack from Rundas in Metroid Prime 3, DS creates a pillar of phazon shooting upward from the ground, dealing 20-24% damage. Additionally, the pillar lasts for three seconds. Anyone who touches the pillar takes 3% damage instantly. Also, it forms a wall as long as it lasts, so DS can use this as cover and take that time to heal up.

SIDE SMASH->SUPER MISSILE
A slower, more powerful version of Samus' super missile, it travels the same distance as Samus' and does 20-22% if it manages to hit an opponent. Long starting lag enables most characters enough time to avoid it. However, it is best used as an edgeguarding tool, as even MK could fall victim to a Super Missile barrage. Dark Samus can only fire 1 every 2 seconds, to prevent gimping/overpowered.

DOWN SMASH->PULSE
Dark Samus slams her hand down on the ground, causing Phazon to be released in both directions. It does 18-20% damage, and has strong knockback, making it a great KO option at around 90%. However, good DI can save a character from being KO'd, so it's not necessarily automatic at that range, but it is DS' best KO option.

AERIALS

NEUTRAL AERIAL->AURA
Dark Samus creates a small phazon aura around himself, doing a mere 5% damage. It protects him from any direct attacks, but does not protect against projectiles.

FORWARD AERIAL->BACKHAND SLAP
Dark Samus takes her left hand and slaps the opponent across the face, dealing 8% damage. It has great knockback, and could be a KO move at around 110%.

BACK AERIAL->ROUNDHOUSE KICK
Dark Samus spins around in an incredible showing and fully extends her leg for a kick that deals 10% damage. It requires a whole 2 seconds to pull off, but KO's at around 80%, paying off big time.

UP AERIAL->PHAZON EXPLOSION
Dark Samus holds up her hand above her, and a blue explosion about the size of Zelda's up-a. It has high vertical knockback and does 8% damage. It KO's starting at 100%.

DOWN AERIAL->PHAZON SEED
Dark Samus holds her hand below her, then sends strings of Phazon downward. It does 4% damage and sends the opponent flying slightly upward. It has low priority, but it does allow DS to stall her fall to the stage slightly.

FINAL SMASH->DARK SAMUS 4 (ECHOES)
Dark Samus floats up and a Phazon sphere forms around her. She can fire Super Missiles rapidly in any direction, which is completely controlled by the player. Every tap of the B button fires one super missile, and the D-Stick controls its direction. This Final Smash only lasts 10 seconds, but each Super Missile does 20% damage and has high knockback.

PLAYSTYLE
Dark Samus has a variety of KO moves at her disposal, and a great variety of moves means it may take a lot of practice to master her combos. Being a powerful character, Dark Samus has a lot of high-damage moves at her disposal. Dark Samus has a great edgeguarding game with Super Missiles and several meteor smashes. She's a very strategic character, especially with the Phazon Pillar and Heal, which you should be able to use to your advantage quite often to save yourself. Use Phazon Forcefield when you're in trouble. Other than that, press on the offensive and you should triumph over most characters.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
DARK SAMUS

I really hate to do this to you, darksamus77. Especially after the good review you gave Luffy. But, I have to be honest.

I don't like this set.

The organization is the main killer here. I can see this being very confusing to read for some people. Put up big headers that announce when you're reading Specials, Smash Attacks, Final Smash, etc.

Your playstyle needs some MAJOR adjustments too. It cannot be just one sentence. Elaborate a little (and by that, I mean a lot)!

Again, no hard feelings. You do have potential; everybody does. If you learn from your mistakes here, I'm sure you'll make some great movesets.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
DARK SAMUS

I really hate to do this to you, darksamus77. Especially after the good review you gave Luffy. But, I have to be honest.

I don't like this set.

The organization is the main killer here. I can see this being very confusing to read for some people. Put up big headers that announce when you're reading Specials, Smash Attacks, Final Smash, etc.

Your playstyle needs some MAJOR adjustments too. It cannot be just one sentence. Elaborate a little (and by that, I mean a lot)!

Again, no hard feelings. You do have potential; everybody does. If you learn from your mistakes here, I'm sure you'll make some great movesets.
First two points, fixed. I didn't have time to fix those yesterday. I'll save Rundas for MYM8.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I still have a Rocket-Grunt comment pemnding (which I've read a bit more of, and I think it's a great set so far), but since I'm MYM's veteran Metroid fanatic I just had to give Dark Samus a go.

Anyways, the thing that most impressed me, considering this is a newcomer set, is that you avoided the pitfall of just making her a stronger, slower Samus clone. You showed off Dark Samus' natural Phazon abilities to good effect which makes her stand out from Samus both visually and conceptually. There were a few clone moves, but eh, they were the jab and 2 tilts, hardly deal-breakers when the rest of the moveset contained genuinley different moves.

For the most part I could understand the attacks, but a few times I felt like a bit more detail was needed. The most notable example is on Phazon Forcefield; how long does the field last? Is there startup/end lag to calling it? I would also agree that future movesets could use some more color differenciation between Section headers and the rest of the set, but thankfully Dark Samus was a short-enough read that the organization hardly bothered me that much this time.

You have an idea of playstyle, which is a great first step for new MYMer. I can agree on the good edgeguarding game, but I feel like Dark Samus actually leans more towards defensive play than offense, considering the variety of traps, projectiles, and shield-like tecniques she has at her disposal.

Overall, this isn't bad at all for a first moveset. You're on the right track with creativity, playstyle, and relevance to character, and you'll only get better with those as time goes on. Welcome to MYM and I look fowards to seeing your future sets :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
@Huff’n’Puff comments: Thanks for the praise. The set turned out a good bit more successful then I’d expected. I saw most of the complaints coming – The playstyle summary was rather difficult for me to write, Rool, and I agree on it being too condensed (The opposite of the rest of the set). I also agree on this set being particularly hard to follow due to how many things are going on, though getting rid of the bair would rob Huff’n’Puff of a good deal of his game. Junahu seems to of forgiven me for an extent on the inputs due to me making them in such a way that they’re a lot more usable then most interaction heavy moves without using them for the playstyle purpose. Using these moves at random isn't going to screw you over and will produce competent hitboxes, Junahu, so long as you don't use bair thrice under situational circumstances. . .Though it’s certainly not a surprise that he wants me to dumb it down to the level of Shiki anyway. Good concepts, generic 6 year old button inputs.

What I’m more surprised about is DM didn’t attack it on balance, as that was one of the main things I was worrying about as I made the set. I was going around changing values a lot as I made this set, so I’m particularly glad that didn’t turn out to be the mess I thought it’d be.

ROCKET GRUNT

Dunno where to start in this complicated move interaction web. I wouldn’t say it has that many more interactions then the standard set, but the fact there’s so many inputs to scatter them through can make it somewhat difficult to follow. Your good writing helps with this as well as you being subtle about all of Zubat’s attacks being able to fan smoke rather then blatantly stating which moves move how much and so on, and by the time you’re at Grimer it’s all making a surprising amount of sense. Fine organization, nothing particularly special. . .Though it’s dragged down back to Warlordian level based off Houndour’s body text. I couldn’t care less about Zant’s body text, but I had to freaking highlight Houndour’s entire set. Such a spit in the face of Smash Blue (Which has 99% less ads/lag) is not something easily forgiven.

But anyway, the actual set. I’m very surprised how much you got out of these three rather basic Pokemon, though I agree with Junahu on you taking a bit too much creative license with Zubat and all the crazy stuff his sound waves did. Moving on to the main attraction of having three characters interacting with each other to such crazy extents, it’s not like something like Count or Bass & Treble in having all the characters on the screen at once, but it’s not a generic Pokemon Trainer either. The way you have to manipulate the mechanics to get them all on at once makes for a pretty damn unique and thought provoking experience. I was also surprised at the amount of versatality you managed to squeeze out of them all. With a miniature Count and a semi grab-KO mechanic, having the explosive Grimer and the mass Zubat mindgames helped in eliminating any possibility of even the slightest flowchart playstyle for this one. Granted, I wish you’d of gone into more detail about the various possible strategies in the playstyle section or walked us through a match, particularly when the part about how to play as just two of the Pokemon and not three felt rather fillerish and irrelevant, just something to appease Junahu.

Certainly not without flaws, but they’re mostly fairly minor quibbles and this is quite possibly one of your most ambitious sets ever, yet you still manage to pull it off. A superb "parting gift", Rool. . .

WOOD MAN

I agree with basically everybody on the writing style being much more confusing/getting in the way a lot more then with Sheep Man. I –do- like the main basic campy playstyle concept. Lay down some brambles, start building up a tree, fair to swing around the tree whenever the foe approaches or use one of your various moves to stall the foe (Mainly the grab-game). . .Everything else though doesn’t flow into this as much as I’d like, though. Obviously the air-game is a big culprit, but dedicating two tilts for the sole playstyle purpose of comboing into each other and then the grab (Sandman had the occasional blatant move like that (fthrow), but he was a combo character) isn’t helping your case, particularly when you insist later on that the gimping is more useful then you made it out to be. It’s definitely pretty evident that you were struggling with this set. I also find it rather ironic that I can’t see the infamous dsmash fitting into the playstyle anymore, considering how overdetailed it was originally. . .While this is pretty blatant negative commentary, I –do- as I said like the main concept and see this as an exceptional base for editing. . .Albeit not a good moveset on it’s own. If you didn’t get the hint, I’m suggesting this is a good remicks candidate.

MONKEY D. LUFFY

I’m sorry that I took so stupidly long to get around to this. Blatant character bias is blatant. . . Albeit you demanding your review wasn’t exactly encouraging me to do this. Then I saw that you spit in the face of Sandshrew and Caterpie and praised Sandslash and Golem, which more then made up for it.

Please tell me how painfully generic Sakurai attacks for the entire set and no playstyle whatsoever is a good example of Sandshrew’s character, Junahu. Really. You also exaggerate Golem not being particularly in-character. The trademarks are there – Rollout/Explosion are very Golem, yes? Beyond that Golem’s too painfully generic to have much more in his character, much less considering his name. Of course, Golem’s far from an example of what you were talking about, but Sandshrew? REALLY? There is nothing whatsoever redeeming about that moveset. How about, say, Probopass?

VVV Actual Moveset Commentary VVV

The main thing that immediately catches my attention is just how much it seems you’ve been lurking around, what with those match-ups against Mustang and Dingodile, movesets from MYM 5 and 6, respectively. You’ve got the detail and organization down better then pretty much any first set could hope to achieve (Outside the somewhat random move order). Certainly one of the best first sets I’ve seen in a while.

You’ve apparently been editing Luffy a while for balance, but if Luffy was even more overpowered before then he is now I doubt I’d be too eager to see how that worked out. . .The problem seems to be that Luffy is too insanely powerful canonically and that you don’t want to do him “injustice” by toning him down. Am I right? I can relate to that, but I personally like there to be a struggle in my opponents rather then wiping the floor with them with no chance for resistance. Some specificly blatant overpowered moves include dair, fthrow chain-grab,. . .Ah enough. You’ve heard enough about this, and there are more important things to get out of the way. I’ll assume Raichu won’t struggle with this as much due to the character.

So one thing I’m surprised that nobody’s talked about is the dsmash/Side Special. . .Despite what may have you believe at some times, props aren’t the absolute work of the devil, but these are particularly blatant. Characters popping out of nowhere for one move? Really? That’s insulting to those characters as that’s all they get to do, while it’s also insulting to Luffy as other characters devour his own button inputs.

I agree with Junahu that Luffy would largely benefit from making more use of the one thing that really makes him Luffy – that stretchiness. You say that’d make him a camper which would be OOC. . .Who says he has to use his stretchiness in a campy fashion? You say it’d make him more overpowered. . .That’s probably true, but who says you can’t nerf Luffy’s stupidly high power? Sure, it’s canon for him to be so powerful, but it’s also canon that Ganon can’t be slain by anyone but Link, yes? Besides, wouldn’t you agree that the stretching is a lot bigger part of Luffy then just generic strength?

You did considerably better with playstyle then I expected for a first set. I actually genuinely like the concept of working up the meter for second gear and using it in short bursts. . .I just wish that his moves flowed into it, considering none particularly do currently. Not something I’d expect somebody to accomplish with a first set, and it’ll probably take some time for you to work on it. To grasp it faster, I’d suggest doing more of the lurking which you seem to be so good at to try to siphon out the essence of playstyle flow from the other sets.

You’re not a Smady alt, right?

SHIKI

No, Junahu, it’s not series that makes you like these sets, it’s that you just generally like sets that are filled to the brim with moves that serve very little playstyle purpose and could be easily replaced.

And needless to say that doesn’t fly with me. All of Shiki’s attacks are irrelevant Brawl attacks with the only difference being that they move around Mr. Mew’s position. Granted, I do like the basic concept of, as Junahu put it, separating the hitbox and the hurtbox of the character, but isn’t there anything more you could do with this? The closest attempts at doing something else were jab/dsmash. There’s very little reason to read beyond the mechanic with this one.

Also, change the title at the top of the set to Mr. Mew. Shiki’s just dead weight that the cat plushie is hauling around.

And Junahu, it’s one thing if a concept can carry a set like with Shiki, but what concept does Sandshrew have? Sandshrew has nothing. NOTHING.

DARK SAMUS

Seeing you’ve been lurking as much as you have and know the tendency of sets to get “torn apart”, I’m rather surprised you pumped this set out without putting in that much effort as Spear Guy, who’s still significantly better. If you were just making this set for fun, that’s fine, though I’d imagine you’d want to do more justice to your namesake character. As DM said in his Spear Guy comment, you need to come up with a playstyle before you make the set and gear the moves around it rather then making moves at random and then making a casual description as to how they work at the end. Granted, you still manage to do relatively well with individual moves this time around, albeit the detail Spear Guy's moves had would be welcomed with open arms.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
During Make Your Move 6 I believe we had three different movesets for some boss from Metroid named Gorea.
Hehe, I made 2 Gorea sets. There were only 2.

[size=+3]Dark Samus [/size]
Interestingly enough, this Dark Samus set is the first one made for Dark Samus in the recorded history of MYM I believe.

To keep things short, Dark Samus was of quality as Spear Guy was, but Im not that sure if the attacks really did feel like Dark Samus. First off, just wondering if the Dark Samus you've used is the one from MP2 Echoes (since the image is of Dark Samus from MP2 and not MP3). It's perfectly forgiveable that you gave Dark Samus simple melee attacks since Brawl Samus had the same. Yet Im certain at the same time that Dark Samus had some pretty epic attacks in the MP2. Can't remember them entirely. One such move was a beam of some kind.

If you're focusing on Dark Samus on MP3 (or even using material from the game) however, she has attacks from the game such as splitting herself into Echo clones and creating phazon pillars I believe.

To sum it all up, my only complaint is that Dark Samus didn't really stay entirely true to Dark Samus. She was a bit too 'punch kick' orientated, and didn't really have enough going for her in terms of projectiles or phazon. Using some more material from the game would have been entirely awesome.

Dark Samus is still a good effort however. But be sure to use attacks and fighting styles of characters (particularly video game chracters) to your advantage. By doing this, hopefully your sets will gain a more familiar feeling to them when others read them.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I stayed up til 4:00 AM so I could get it finished by the deadline (H)

Chill Man

Chill Man is one of the Robot Masters from the newest Mega Man game, Mega Man 10. He resides on a glacier and is a global warming advocate. He takes pictures and posts them online of his work to stop global warming. His weapon is the Chill Spike, a blob that solidifies into three spikes that stay on the ground as a static hitbox... in other words, a trap. It is strong against Nitro Man, who can transform into a motorcycle. I guess it pops his tires or something.

Stats

Power - 3
Range - 6
Attack Speed - 4
Weight - 7
Size - 7
Ground Speed - 5
Jump Height - 6
Traction - 4

Specials

((Neutral Special *** Chill Spike))
Chill Man launches a blob of liquid forward in an arc. The blob is slightly smaller than a Poke Ball and travels in a fairly restricted arc, horizontally speaking. It deals 3% and has a high chance of freezing foes in their place on contact. Forzen foes will look like actual frozen statues and are immobile for .25 seconds. Not very useful. If the blob hits the ground, however, its primary function comes into play. The blob will mold into the shape of three small spikes that cover about one Stage Builder Block. These spikes deal 9% and low upwards knockback on contact, but can KO at 200%. The spikes will stay for ten seconds, after which they melt. If they make contact with a foe, they will shatter after dealing the knockback. Low lag at the beginning. Only one can be out at a time.​

((Forward Special *** Ice Slasher))
Chill Man swings his arm forward like a major league baseball pitcher and sends an arrowhead-shaped blade of ice forward. The attack will travel a maximum distance of ½ Final Destination before disappearing. The blade travels through any barrier or obstruction, but not foes, unless they are shielding. Shielded foes only take the damage from the attack and not the knockback. Speaking of, it deals 8% and has a Piplup effect (pushes enemies back and chains into other hits) for up to six hits, but the consecutive hits deal 1% each with a 20% chance of dealing 2%. Low lag on beginning, medium lag on the end. This has a 25% chance of freezing on the initial hit.​

((Up Special *** Freeze Cracker))
Chill Man tosses a nine-pointed star-shaped ice crystal in a similar arc to the Chill Spike. This crystal is a little bit bigger than a Poke Ball, making it easier to hit with than the Chill Spike. If you hold down B, it will travel in a wider arc much like PK Freeze does. Holding the control stick in the opposite direction Chill Man is facing makes it go straight up and come back down on top of Chill Man. This is his form of recovery, as the Freeze Cracker will deal 9% and high upward knockback to Chill Man, but freezes foes Freezie-style instead of knocking them up. Frozen foes will drop straight down and take the damage and knockback from Chill Spikes if they land on top of them. High lag at start, low at end.​

((Down Special *** Ice Wall))
Chill Man points down at the floor in front of him and a wall of ice as tall as Ganondorf and as thick as a Stage Builder block rises up in front of him. This wall has 30% stamina and is impervious to all forms of knockback and static damage (meaning lingering or static hitboxes have no effect on it). It takes double the damage from flames. Medium start lag, low end lag. Ice Walls melt after thirty seconds. Only one can be out at a time.​

Standards and Tilts

((Neutral Standard *** Blizzard))
Chill Man puts his hands together and a Kirby-sized hitbox of swirling snow and ice forms at their center, dealing 1-3% per hit and flinching-low knockback, which can rack up to 10%. Very low lag on the beginning, middling lag on the end. This has a 10% chance of freezing.​

((Dash Attack *** Ice Skater))
Chill Man strikes an ice skater’s pose and slows his dash a bit. While this is held in (or for a ½ second if tapped), Chill Man will leave behind an icy trail that has the same traction reducing effect as the ice terrain in Brawl. This also completely freezes any underground traps, making them duds if they weren’t ice-based. Low lag on either end.​

((Forward Tilt *** Ice Hockey))
Chill Man forms a disc of ice with his hands and flings it to the ground in front of him, sending it sliding. This disc is very quick, at Captain Falcon’s run on normal terrain and Sonic’s on ice. The foe will have to jump to avoid getting hit and taking 4% with a 90% tripping rate, block it with some kind of stage alteration (traps and the like), or simply hit it with a very well timed, quick, and low reaching attack (i.e. MK’s DTilt and DSmash… wait, that’s the only moves in history that fit those requirements…). Tripped foes will only take the damage, and this has an embarrassingly high stale rate. Low lag on the end. Travels the length of ½ Final Destination. This has a 10% chance of freezing.​

((Up Tilt *** Hail Storm))
Chill Man points directly above him as a five-pointed star-shaped ice crystal forms in midair about a Stage Builder block’s distance above him. The crystal will separate into five different ice shards, the size of the ones produced by Zelda’s NSpec at the end, and fire them in a fan motion downward, with one going in a 45° to the left, one going halfway between that and directly down, one directly down onto Chill Man (which does no damage), one mirroring the second one, and the last mirroring the first one. These deal 5% each and low downward knockback or flinching if the foe is on the ground. There are noticeable blind spots on it, so the foe will have to move into those or just take the damage and knockback. This has low lag on either end. Each shard has a 10% chance of freezing.​

((Down Tilt *** Snow Storm))
Chill Man points down directly underneath him and a funnel of snow and wind spiral from underneath him, slightly wider than Chill Man himself. This gale will spin to twice Chill Man’s height and peter out, but lasts as long as you hold down this attack. Foes and Chill Man himself have double the jumping power when in this funnel, and foes knocked into it will be blown upwards. The same applies to items. Most projectiles pass through it cleanly with the exception of projectiles that are more like items (i.e. Link’s bombs, Snake’s grenades). Foes who take directly down knockback in the funnel (such as being meteor smashed or spiked) will not be blown upwards while suffering the knockback, but rather the opposite, as they are sucked right down to the bottom before being blown back up. This has a 15% chance of freezing.​

Smashes

((Forward Smash *** Ice Spire))
Chill Man does an animation similar to his Neutral Standard while charging. In fact, it has the same effect during the charge period, basically being the same attack. When you release this, however, the ball of frost will shoot into the ground and one to three large pillars of ice will erupt, based on the charge period; a low charge produces a single pillar, whereas a medium charge makes two pillars and a high charge makes three. The first spire will jut up about a stage builder block away from Chill Man, linger for a brief moment, and retract. The second will come up immediately after the first retracts, right beside where it was in the direction Chill Man was facing. It does the same thing, and then the last pillar will erupt, if there is one. Pillars deal 15% and great knockback, making it a viable KO method. Pillars are slightly shorter than an Ice Wall. There is a huge amount of lag on this, however, so use it when behind an Ice Wall. A 12% chance of freezing.​

((Up Smash *** Frostbite))
Chill Man points above his head, this time with just his left hand, and a set of jaw-like… things… form in midair. As long as you continue to charge this, the jaws will grow in density, and when this is through Chill Man points at the nearest foe. The jaws will fly somehow over to them and chomp onto their back. This deals 2% or 4% per second if you have a low or high charge, respectively, and they can be shaken off like Pikmin… if it was a low-charged one. High-charged “jaws” are impossible to shake off. They force foes to go in the direction of Chill Man, although the foe can try to fight them by tapping in the opposite direction. The jaws will release the foe and melt after three or five seconds, depending on charge. Low-mid lag on both ends. Jaws have a 15% chance of freezing foes.​

((Down Smash *** Thin Ice))
Chill Man points again to the ground below him, this time freezing the ground while he charges. After it’s complete, Chill Man will hop off of the section of ground he froze. The section could range from ½ a Stage Builder block to two, depending on the level of charge. This frozen ground is slightly less than ½ a Stage Builder block in depth. Now, what does it do? In Chill Man’s stage in Mega Man 10, there were blocks of ice that cracked if jumped, landed on or shot at, and if you did it again to a cracked block, it would shatter. The same principle applies here. If the foe (or Chill Man) lands on the frozen ground (not walked on, it has to be landed on from midair), it will crack. It will also crack from any attack that hits it (i.e. DTilts), but not from static or lingering hitboxes. If it gets hit again, it’ll shatter, erasing the ground from existence. It won’t be completely blocked off, but more like a steep slope. A high charge will let the center of the frozen floor be cracked twice. Ground underneath frozen ground can’t be frozen, due to already being hardened by the ground above it. Middling lag at the end.​

Aerials

((Neutral Aerial *** Twin Snowflakes))
Heh, oxymorons. Chill Man spreads his arms out and forms two crystals of ice in his palms as he faces the screen. Releasing the A button sends them shooting out in opposite directions horizontally, but holding up or down after pressing A will send both up above or down below Chill Man, respectively. They each deal 5% and low knockback in the direction they were heading, and they have a 20% chance of freezing. Mid lag on the beginning.​

((Forward Aerial *** Frost Breath))
Chill Man cups his hands together around his mouth and leans over to blow a gust of icy wind in the direction he’s facing. The wind takes a bit of time to travel at first but picks up speed after a moment. The wind deals 1-3% per second and pushes foes back. It has weak pushback at the distance of ½ Final Destination, which is the end. Mid-high start lag, but has a 30% chance of freezing for every second the foe is in its grip.​

((Back Aerial *** South Wind))
Chill Man points southwest (assuming you’re facing right), and a gale blows from his fingertips. It blows the distance of a fully charged F.L.U.D.D. if held down and has slightly better pushback. No damage, though. Has a 10% chance of freezing, mainly because this is better for pushing foes into your Chill Spike from above. A good bit of lag.​

((Up Aerial *** Wind Ball))
Another wind attack? This guy is supposed to be ice based, Khold! (D)
It’s an icy wind, I tell you! (WARY) Anyway, Chill Man underhand tosses a ball of COLD wind above him, and it hangs in the air directly where Chill Man was a brief moment ago. After a ½ second, anyone who passes near it will be sucked into it for 3% damage times two (that’s 6%, in case you can’t do basic math), and a 25% chance of freezing. This lasts for five seconds before dispersing. Low lag on the end, but weedy lag on the start. Shorthop this above your Chill Spikes (which you can walk on, by the way, if you’re the Chill Man who made them) so it can drag the foe into them.​

((Down Aerial *** Chill Out))
Chill Man cryogenically freezes himself, making him look like an ice statue. He falls like a rock, or more like a Metal Box, and contact with him deals 8% and good knockback. This is your standard stall-then-fall, but if you’re lucky you can get a Chillicide. Mmm, that sounds like a fruity iced drink. Or a terrible accident with a snowmobile. Chill Man will “melt” after hitting the ground or doing this input again, but beware the high end lag, although it can be quite unexpected considering there is no start lag.​

Grab Game

Chill Man’s grab is a standard grab with his hands, with short range. Yeah, not very exciting, but neither is his pummel- it deals 2% per second with a possible maximum of 8%.​

((Forward Throw *** Nintendo on Ice))
Chill Man grabs the opponent’s feet and forms a pair of ice skates on their feet… literal ice skates. He then stands them up in front of him and gives them a push, causing them to skate for their life. This has some good range and it’s pretty funny to watch, too. Ever seen Ganondorf topple over on his face because he couldn’t keep his balance? That’s how this throw ends, most of the time. The foe can actually tap A to keep their balance, allowing them to actually skate around the stage. Their traction’s as bad as Luigi’s, however. This does 5% damage, and has a good bit of lag.​

((Back Throw *** Freezing Their Ass Off))
Chill Man reaches around and slaps the foe’s ass (do this on ZSS and Cammy for fapping material, if you’re into that), freezing it solid. This deals 10%, because I’ve sat down on solid ice before and it hurts like hell. Chill Man then shoves them behind him on their cold buttocks, sending them sliding for a good ways. They’ll stop after colliding with something, though. Middling lag.​

((Up Throw *** The Iron Lotus))
Have you ever seen Blades of Glory? If you have, then you know what this looks like. If not, then go watch it after reading and commenting this set. 8% and high lag.​

((Down Throw *** Ice Hockey))
I recycled a move name because Chill Man wanted me to help stop global warming. For this move, Chill Man forms a stick made of ice and ice skates on his feet. He can then move around like a hockey player in Smash. Pressing A will let him whack his pole, which deals 2% damage and low knockback. This lasts five seconds.
What, I couldn’t think of any more moves (WARY).

Final Smash

((Final Smash *** An Inconvenient Truth))
Chill Man lets us know about global warming by turning the stage into Antarctica. The whole stage is now covered in ice and he can use as many Chill Spikes, Ice Walls, and DThrows as he likes. The stage is one flat, screen wide stage, but pieces the size of Battlefield platforms at the edges break off and float away every three seconds. There are polar bears in the background dying, and that **** bear from Ice Climbers comes once in a while to bump the screen down. Various objects such as empty Coca Cola boxes float in the water. A seal clubber or two stops by to beat seals in the background. Oh well USA what you gonna do
This lasts twenty seconds.​

Playstyle

Chill Man is a trap character, but what sets him apart is he is centered on only a few traps, instead of being laden with them like others. Chill Spike, Ice Wall, and Thin Ice are the most obvious of these, and this is what he's centered around.

Okay, your Chill Spike. You've only got one out at a time, so you'll want to set it in a key spot and build from there. The center of the stage and the edges are usually the best places to set up. You're going to want your foe to run into it, and run into it a lot. Your Ice Wall is your protection from one side, and placing a Chill Spike right next to it is a good option. If the foe doesn't want to approach use Chill Man's Up Smash to reel them in, or simply camp. You can't camp far, but a mid-range camp is entirely possible. Freeze Crackers, Ice Spires, Hockey discs, and Snowflakes are your arsenal for mid-rangery.

If your foes are the speedy types, coat the stage in ice and make a shallow pit to put your Chill Spike in. Ice Wall alone disrupts foes like Subaru from getting around at their own pace. Hail Storms, Snow Storms, Chill Man's front, back, and up aerials all disrupt your foe's pacing.

To properly KO, you're going to need to rack up a lot of damage, which Chill Man can't really do at a reasonable pace, except for his FSpec. Spam FSpec royally and you can rack up a lot of damage fast. This is especially useful behind an Ice Wall, since FSpec goes through walls. Your foe will probably figure out how to nullify it (shield), before long, so it's best used in early game against new foes. He's going to need a lot of timing and a lot of lucky strikes to get the damage high enough to KO with an FSmash or Chill Spike. If you get right up to the wall, Chill Man can actually use FSmash from behind it. Not a pretty sight in restricted quarters if the foe can't get around the Ice Wall.

Note that many attacks have freezing percentages on them. Unlike another ice based character with freezing percents, Chill Man isn't reliant on them, but rather benefits passively from them since it gives him more set up / camp time.

Chill Man crumples under pressure, but if he's up against movement-oriented characters, he can pull out some consistent wins, just like in Mega Man 10 (Nitro Man is a movement-oriented character, lawl). He does have a harder time positioning and spacing just right, however, so it's better for more seasoned players.​

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Hehe, I made 2 Gorea sets. There were only 2.

[size=+3]Dark Samus [/size]
Interestingly enough, this Dark Samus set is the first one made for Dark Samus in the recorded history of MYM I believe.

To keep things short, Dark Samus was of quality as Spear Guy was, but Im not that sure if the attacks really did feel like Dark Samus. First off, just wondering if the Dark Samus you've used is the one from MP2 Echoes (since the image is of Dark Samus from MP2 and not MP3). It's perfectly forgiveable that you gave Dark Samus simple melee attacks since Brawl Samus had the same. Yet Im certain at the same time that Dark Samus had some pretty epic attacks in the MP2. Can't remember them entirely. One such move was a beam of some kind.

If you're focusing on Dark Samus on MP3 (or even using material from the game) however, she has attacks from the game such as splitting herself into Echo clones and creating phazon pillars I believe.

To sum it all up, my only complaint is that Dark Samus didn't really stay entirely true to Dark Samus. She was a bit too 'punch kick' orientated, and didn't really have enough going for her in terms of projectiles or phazon. Using some more material from the game would have been entirely awesome.

Dark Samus is still a good effort however. But be sure to use attacks and fighting styles of characters (particularly video game chracters) to your advantage. By doing this, hopefully your sets will gain a more familiar feeling to them when others read them.
The attacks were MP3, I like Dark Samus' appearance from Echoes much better. I used lots of phazon attacks...and I didn't want her to be a strict Samus clone. She has plenty of different attacks from Samus and she's much stronger, which is true to her. If I wanted to make an entire Phazon moveset. As for detail...I didn't have much time to revise the moveset. If you want, I could put in those minor details. The phazon pillar is her U-Smash. I did not see a way to implement the clone attack, so I chose to leave it out. Other than that, I got a majority of Dark Samus' actual moves...besides the Boost Ball from Echoes.

MasterWarlord, both those sets were for fun. I made those two specifically to see how people would view them and what I need to improve. I may rerelease another Dark Samus moveset with improvements...but with being able to keep only 5 moves...that might be challenging. Rundas is my next bet, and he truly should be in the next SSBB to kill two birds with one stone: lack of Metroid representation, and lack of characters who use ice as their main element.

Also, I spent about the same time on each moveset, believe it or not...and I do favor defense to offense, because there aren't a whole lot of defensive characters...and I feel defensive tactics are more clever than offensive powerhouses

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
Chill Man.
So, you ended up making what Agi said he was going to do originally, interesting. So upon reading Chill Man closely, I found that it wasn't so much a moveset for the character, but rather a concept. What I saw for a lot of moves and such was the use of ice in a way that doesn't seem entirely in-character for Chill Man, as much as any ice-type move. In the long run, it's not a bad moveset, no, but it does feel a bit like Sandslash in that the flow is a bit choppy-- moves don't seem to work quite so well together. As such, it feels just a tad dated. Now I'm not the one to criticise playstyle, but I'm just noticing that Chill Man feels a bit haphazard or... rushed, if you will. At least Khold's making movesets though (Y)

As a side note, I'd really like to get a few posts in (four, I believe) so I can post a moveset on the next page. Please comment Chill Man/whatever else is new in the thread, please.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
MONKEY D. LUFFY

I’m sorry that I took so stupidly long to get around to this. Blatant character bias is blatant. . . Albeit you demanding your review wasn’t exactly encouraging me to do this. Then I saw that you spit in the face of Sandshrew and Caterpie and praised Sandslash and Golem, which more then made up for it.

Please tell me how painfully generic Sakurai attacks for the entire set and no playstyle whatsoever is a good example of Sandshrew’s character, Junahu. Really. You also exaggerate Golem not being particularly in-character. The trademarks are there – Rollout/Explosion are very Golem, yes? Beyond that Golem’s too painfully generic to have much more in his character, much less considering his name. Of course, Golem’s far from an example of what you were talking about, but Sandshrew? REALLY? There is nothing whatsoever redeeming about that moveset. How about, say, Probopass?

VVV Actual Moveset Commentary VVV

The main thing that immediately catches my attention is just how much it seems you’ve been lurking around, what with those match-ups against Mustang and Dingodile, movesets from MYM 5 and 6, respectively. You’ve got the detail and organization down better then pretty much any first set could hope to achieve (Outside the somewhat random move order). Certainly one of the best first sets I’ve seen in a while.

You’ve apparently been editing Luffy a while for balance, but if Luffy was even more overpowered before then he is now I doubt I’d be too eager to see how that worked out. . .The problem seems to be that Luffy is too insanely powerful canonically and that you don’t want to do him “injustice” by toning him down. Am I right? I can relate to that, but I personally like there to be a struggle in my opponents rather then wiping the floor with them with no chance for resistance. Some specificly blatant overpowered moves include dair, fthrow chain-grab,. . .Ah enough. You’ve heard enough about this, and there are more important things to get out of the way. I’ll assume Raichu won’t struggle with this as much due to the character.

So one thing I’m surprised that nobody’s talked about is the dsmash/Side Special. . .Despite what may have you believe at some times, props aren’t the absolute work of the devil, but these are particularly blatant. Characters popping out of nowhere for one move? Really? That’s insulting to those characters as that’s all they get to do, while it’s also insulting to Luffy as other characters devour his own button inputs.

I agree with Junahu that Luffy would largely benefit from making more use of the one thing that really makes him Luffy – that stretchiness. You say that’d make him a camper which would be OOC. . .Who says he has to use his stretchiness in a campy fashion? You say it’d make him more overpowered. . .That’s probably true, but who says you can’t nerf Luffy’s stupidly high power? Sure, it’s canon for him to be so powerful, but it’s also canon that Ganon can’t be slain by anyone but Link, yes? Besides, wouldn’t you agree that the stretching is a lot bigger part of Luffy then just generic strength?

You did considerably better with playstyle then I expected for a first set. I actually genuinely like the concept of working up the meter for second gear and using it in short bursts. . .I just wish that his moves flowed into it, considering none particularly do currently. Not something I’d expect somebody to accomplish with a first set, and it’ll probably take some time for you to work on it. To grasp it faster, I’d suggest doing more of the lurking which you seem to be so good at to try to siphon out the essence of playstyle flow from the other sets.

You’re not a Smady alt, right?
THANKS FOR FINALLY REVIEWING LUFFY, MASTER WARLORD!!!

Sorry for blowing up like that. I had just been waiting for a long time, and seeing you posting a moveset after you promised to review it just kind of ticked me off. Do you have a bias against Luffy or something?

You saying Luffy is one of the best first sets you've seen in a while made my day. :) And thank you for skipping most of the complaints I've been hearing over and over. They kind of get on your nerves after a while.

I didn't realize the problem with the Dsmash and Side Special. I didn't think of that

Here's the truth; I really don't know how I could've utilized Luffy's stretchiness more than I did. Could you guys give me any ideas?

But I need to ask you and everyone who reviewed Luffy (I'm talking to you, Darth Meanie!) one question that I've been needing to ask...

If most of Luffy's attack power was nerfed, would he be fun to play as?

That's one of the main things I look for in movesets, and the main thing I try to aim for when writing one. "If [insert random character]'s moveset actually made it to Brawl, would I want to play as him/her?"

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
@Shiki's comments: Thanks Jun, DM, and Warlord for the comments! I actually kinda hard trouble thinking of some attacks for her, so i understand Warlord's complaints. When i posted this set, i didn't expect this set to do too well, so it's okay. I'll improve from here. Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger i guess :p.

That said, my future MYM 8 set is going to me stepping my organization skills. It's going to be an IMAGE moveset, inspired by Ocon's Sho. (H)
It'll take a while, but I'm sure what i'll make will be great. Hopefully this moveset will be great...and be posted before my birthday (WARY).

JOE!

Smash Hero
So guys, put this on the chat for discussion, but I think we'd get more done in the thread:

In light of MYM 7's seeming decrease in activity, I have suggested we move back to General brawl Discussion from here in the Workshop, like the good old days.

This way we are gaurenteed to get an influx of people, however, we would also need to deal with the average attendant of the General Brawl forums...

That said I think we'd be attracting the right kinds of peope for the most part there, and the idiots will stop bothering after like pg 5.

What do you think?

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
So guys, put this on the chat for discussion, but I think we'd get more done in the thread:

In light of MYM 7's seeming decrease in activity, I have suggested we move back to General brawl Discussion from here in the Workshop, like the good old days.

This way we are gaurenteed to get an influx of people, however, we would also need to deal with the average attendant of the General Brawl forums...

That said I think we'd be attracting the right kinds of peope for the most part there, and the idiots will stop bothering after like pg 5.

What do you think?
Are you saying we should get rid of MYM?!!!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think there's still a lot of life left in MYM! Don't pull the plug! Or else I shall say "NI" to you!

Ni!
Ni!
NU!!

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
✖[COLOR=#gray]ONIX[/COLOR]

INFO

Onix is a first generation Pokémon, its type being rock and ground. It's a giant rock-snake thing that everyone seems to think is fail tier. When you think about it, though, it doesn't make sense, so this here is a more logical Onix.

Onix is a very large character, but that doesn't make him a pit lord like Valozarg. Instead he's just broken beyond all belief. Sorry. Anyway, he has somewhat of a mechanic. Each of his segments takes individual knockback, though they stay connected to the rest of him. That means that, should someone hit his midsection, it'll bulge out rather than making his whole body flinch. Quite nice, and quite broken too. What fun! That also makes him virtually unstoppable, especially considering grabs are impossible and attacks mostly don't cut it.

When you move Onix around, you'll find that simply rotating the control stick around will turn his head in a direction, the rest of his body following. Combined with this is Onix's solidity-- he can't be passed through without dodging. He's so big that, if lying flat on the ground, he can be a stage. Onix also pitfalls anyone under him if he falls onto them, complete with the 10%. As a side note, Onix is damaged by water, but not pushed back. He's a very interesting character to use.

STAT

SIZE ✖ 40/10
Onix has a similar size and shape to Rayquaza.

WEIGHT ✖ 40/10
He's also pretty damn hard to kill. Don't compare these stats with Valozarg though...

POWER ✖ 11/10
Of course Onix has power, what are you talking about?

GROUND SPEED ✖ 10/10
This is tricky. Due to his size, he can cover a lot of ground, especially underground, but if Onix was small, he'd be very slow.

AIR SPEED ✖ 1/10
Onix doesn't fly...

ATTACK SPEED ✖ 1/10
Onix's attacks are extremely telegraphed, but avoiding them is quite difficult.

FALLING SPEED ✖ 10/10
Very very fast fall speed. Gravity does its duty.

RANGE ✖ 10/10
While Onix doesn't really have projectiles, his melee range is by far the best in the game.

PRIORITY ✖ 10/10
It's not so much that Onix's attacks have priority, it's that attacking him won't necessarily interrupt him.

JUMPS ✖ 1/10
Onix? Jumping? Hahahaha. He can get off the ground higher by building up momentum from below, but honestly Onix shoudn't do a lot of jumping.

RECOVERY ✖ 10/10
What?! How is this so? Well you see, Onix's body is the biggest tether in the game. If his mouth is near the edge, it'll grab.

SPECIAL

DOWN SPECIAL ✖ DIG
This is way cool. Onix dives head-first into the ground, his tail following suit. At this point you're free to control him throughout the stage. You can poke your head through final destination to avoid projectiles and such. Your tail is quite vulnerable while you're digging, but fortunately that doesn't stop Onix.

Anyway, just imagine giant rock snake hiding inside Hyrule. That's pretty scary, especially when he can trap you between himself and the stage. If someone doesn't dodge around him while he does that, they'll take about 12% and decent knockback. This part's cool: pressing A prompts Onix to open his mouth, grabbing anyone in the way.

That segues into pulling them through the stage, them taking constant damage as long as you're moving underground. Holes you leave will affect opponents, so they an actually fall through a stage in theory. The tunnels will heal after some time though. You stay in digging mode until your body is entirely above ground, being able to use any move while digging. Very fun move, very important too.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL ✖ PURSUIT
Onix can find it just a bit difficult trying to keep up with the opponent's movement, due to their ability to dodge and shield and whatnot. Onix's answer to this is homing in on the nearest foe with his head, slightly quickening his speed. This is especially noticeable underground, since his head will pop up right by the opponent. If you're not satisfied with your heading, you can adjust it manually, though it's always more effective to cancel into full manual.

This flows rather nicely into a grab, or one of your beastly standard attacks. The extra speed provided by this move also aids your jump, if you angle upwards of course. That allows you to use an aerial on an enemy with better vertical height, though Onix will still drop to the ground immediately. It's funny how such a simple move can be so useful for a giant rock serpent.

SIDE SPECIAL ✖ ROCK THROW
While boring through ground, Onix doesn't just make the earth disappear, magically. It has to go somewhere. Onix will eat it up as he goes along, and when it comes down to it, he can spit up dirt and such on command. Simply put, Onix spits up a rock and throws it wherever you choose with a good deal of lag. Rocks obviously obey gravity, so they'll at max travel a Battlefield length. Rocks deal 16% and good knockback, then shatter.

Onix can't hold infinite ammunition. He must keep burrowing to continue to use this move. A quick dip in soil, going fully in and fully out, gives Onix about five shots perhaps. Conversely, he can't hold too much, either. Onix is not able to carry more than ten shots at a time, which is not so crippling, really. Extra ammunition does actually weigh something, so this can actually be used defensively. Items can also be thrown with this, being picked up through a grab.

Without any sort of ammunition, Onix simply roars in anger, though due to his immense size, this has a decent pushback effect. It's not laggy, and doesn't have a crippling duration or anything like that. So yes, in addition to being able to KO ridiculously early, Onix can also gimp.

UP SPECIAL ✖ BIND
While Onix's grab game needs no boosting, he knows no bounds. He'll go right ahead and use his tail to seize the nearest foe automatically. While this doesn't have great range (for him), it's quite good at telling people off. Anyway, when he's holding someone, he can perform any move on them, including a standard grab. Moreover, he can use his physical moves to great effect, especially the aerials he'd likely be unable to pull off. The grab is escapable, though it takes a great deal of effort to break loose.

While snatching enemies up with your tail is a bit slow, its payoff is immense. It's practically an instant KO if you grab someone with this at moderate percents. Can you see now why Onix is broken? This kind of power cannot be argued with, really. I'll apologize to every lightweight character in advance, since they especially stand little to no chance.

STANDARD

NEUTRAL ATTACK ✖ TWISTER
Did you know that Onix was in the previous two Smash Bros. games? He was a Pokéball in 64, and a balloon in Poké Floats. In his Melee incarnation, his float rotated its segments individually, so Onix liked that and brought it back. He spins his segments around instantly, this being his fastest move. He'll keep twisting about as long as you hold A, making his body suddenly a hitbox that deals a weak hit of around 6% and average knockback, though it's hell if you trap someone in between you and the stage while spinning. That's actually its main use, since people will generally want to stay far, far away from Onix.

FORWARD TILT ✖ HEADBUTT
Onix is not a very complex character. As such, he doesn't have very complex attacks. One of his is a basic lunge, followed by an immediate fall. It'll hit foes a decent ways out, his head doing about 19% and good knockback. Remember Onix's ability to aim and home in opponents, however. This attack gets very annoying very fast, and although it has awful end lag, it's just so difficult to dodge. Great to use out of a Bind.

UPWARD TILT ✖ GIGA IMPACT
Onix makes himself a pillar, stretching out to his absolute maximum height. His tail is a bit difficult to balance on, so he'll fall in the direction you aim or, if you don't do anything, he'll just drop in front of him. Note that since this is entirely using gravity, Onix doesn't do any damage. Due to his large body, however, this has horrifying range and power, capable of pitfalling everyone on the field. If you're rooted in the ground by your tail, this is an impossibly cheap spike, as well. Jolly good fun.

DOWNWARD TILT ✖ IRON TAIL
Predictably, Onix lifts up his tail for this move, it doing about 16% and nice upwards knockback. It has decently fast startup but, as usual, hefty end lag. The interesting part is that Onix can hold up his tail indefinitely. Since his tail is probably his least important area, it can easily block attacks and shots from doing anything that's not laughable. I guess it's a shield, but it's not a transition into any sort of grab or anything, just spam guard.

DASH ATTACK ✖ TACKLE
Onix does not really have a lot of momentum under normal conditions. When he's moving normally on the ground, he'll just flail forward, his body doing about 17% and good knockback. It's a lot more useful underground, though, since Onix is a great deal faster there. If used under the surface, Onix leaps out of the ground like a trick dolphin and hits opponents for 20% and higher knockback before plunging back in. Moderate lag on either end, but again, just try and interrupt it.

SMASH

FORWARD SMASH ✖ TAKE DOWN
Onix is really really heavy. By that logic, throwing his weight around really, really, hurts. With heaps of lag, the giant hefts his body forward with his head generally leading the attack. As you probably have guessed, this has obscene knockback, rather like a Warlock Punch. Unlike that move, however, this is not easily interruptible, due to Onix's huge forward momentum and large hitbox. The move's damage ranges from about 35% uncharged to 55% fully charged, with even more obscene knockback. Yikes.

UPWARD SMASH ✖ STONE EDGE
That spike on Onix's head is pretty useful and also really deadly. Onix leaps upward in an arcing motion, his head spike acting as the sweetspot here. That will do some fantastic knockback, again like a Warlock Punch, coupled with 34%. The rest of the hitbox just does 28% and lowly Ike FSmash knockback. That's the uncharged version by the way. There's still a fair share of lag to cope with in this attack, but that should be no problem considering you only use this move to hit opponents who are somewhat far away from you. In fact, if the opponent positions themselves right, they can duck completely under Onix.

This attack and the previous are both great to use while underground, since the hitboxes will pop up out of nowhere to just eradicate anything standing near Onix. The USmash especially has killer range, and is now even easier to hit with. Scary stuff, I'm telling you.

DOWNWARD SMASH ✖ MAGNITUDE
Now here's a bad thought. You know how Onix basically controls the stage anyway? Well he does that even more here, by smashing the ground below him with minimum range of a platform on either side of him. Uncharged it's somewhat laggy, but it's easier to deal with than most of his moves. Anyway, if Onix charges this move (which he will), he'll spin his head, first off, that's the charging animation which also does multi-hit damage.

Upon reaching the ground, his head creates an impact that can reach up to a Final Destination on either side. Oh yes, technicalities. The shockwave ranges from 16% with moderate knockback to 32% with nice knockback. Onix's head is a bit more powerful, pitfalling foes and adding 20% plus the 10% for pitfall to the enemy's damage counter. Long story short, ranged characters don't like Onix because of this.

AERIAL

NEUTRAL AERIAL ✖ RAGE
Onix just flips out. He's kind of a grumpy Pokémon, you know, and gets all the more irritated the more you hit him. All that rage pent up inside can turn into a powerful force, though, so this move has him flail about for a moment, knocking back anyone in his vicinity with 13% and decent knockback. That doesn't sound very scary to me...

Yeah, so the NAir gains power the more Onix is hit, so if you're at, say, 300%, it'll do about 35% and superb knockback. I'll forewarn you about Onix's aerial game in general, though: it's really best used out of a Dig, since you'll never get high up in the air without some momentum first. In any case, Onix continues the move upon reaching the ground, so it's all good. Low lag too.

FORWARD AERIAL ✖ SLAM
Onix is really, really massive. Here, he stretches out to his full length, which is absolutely ridiculous, making his body a giant impassible object for a moment. Of course, that also means that Onix will pitfall any poor soul that comes between him and the ground, which is an area covering an obscene amount of space. You can gimp with this move, too, by using this near enough to an edge. There's a heaping pile of end lag, but during it you can angle your body so as to prevent anyone from recovering. You little pest, Onix.

BACKWARD AERIAL ✖ TAIL WHIP
The huge rock snake whips out his tail, and whips people with it. Very straightforward. It's a long duration, each whip of the tail doing 10% and some good knockback, though at low percents it will chain into itself. As per usual, Onix continues this move upon landing, further cementing it as a GTFO move, not that Onix needs any. Oh yeah, and thanks to Onix being huge, the tail has ridiculously ridiculous range. Just great.

UPWARD AERIAL ✖ DOUBLE-EDGE
Onix, using his massive stone crest one final time, delivers a piercing blow above him, with great range to boot. It does 21% and excellent knockback, even with low lag. What a great kill move! If your foe is above you, they are completely dead.

It's called double edge for a reason, though, right? Of course, Onix should very well take recoil damage from this as punishment. He doesn't, though, thanks to Pokémon logic. His ability, Rock Head, makes it so that he receives no recoil damage for this move whatsoever. Really, Onix? REALLY?

DOWNWARD AERIAL ✖ EARTHQUAKE
Onix, eager to get down to earth even faster, dips his head down and slams it against the ground (you're not using this over a pit, are you...?). This creates a large shockwave that goes out a couple of platforms to either side. Contact with Onix's head during this small window of time gives you a spike and 20% damage, a nice bonus if you are able to spike near an edge but not off of it.

Getting hit by the shockwave catapults you into the air, though, and if that doesn't kill you, Onix's USmash or UAir will. The shockwave does 14% as well. As you may have guessed, there is some nasty end lag, but who cares? You're ONIX. :|

GRAB

GRAB ✖ BITE
Onix here opens his maw wide and lunges in the direction you point him to along with the Z button. This is a bit tricky to aim, due to the lag involved, but it has more range than average grabs, by a long shot. Onix can reach out longer than any tether grab just with his body alone.

This grab reaps benefits from Onix's NSpec, since when you don't have to aim, grabbing gets a whole lot easier. Well, now that Onix has an overpowered grab, that makes it a little less fun for the opponent.

PUMMEL ✖ CRUNCH
As the case is with most pummels, Onix really has no strings attached. Each press of A will get you 7%, it being about as slow as Mario's pummel.

THROW ✖ SEISMIC TOSS
Onix's throws work a little differently from most characters. All of his throws are the same move, only in a different direction. However, Onix is not limited to the four cardinal directions, rather being able to throw in every direction you can tilt. That leaves a lot more freedom for Onix to throw exactly where he wants. Throws do 17% and nice knockback.

SUPER

FINAL SMASH ✖ ROCK SLIDE

There's no mechanic booster here, none of that nonsense. Onix simply travels to the top of the screen and mimics his SSB64 incarnation. For those of you who don't remember, Onix drops rock segments from his body, covering the entire screen with them. In Brawl, that gets a bit buffed. Onix will stretch out to measure the width of the entire screen, then drop boulders from his own body at an alarming rate. This ends up being as chaotic as Lucas's PK Starstorm, it being pretty similar.

Boulders that fall on you will either spike you or shatter on top of your head, breaking any sort of shield or guard and doing 25% and good knockback. The key difference from PK Starstorm is a bit odd: boulders obey physics, not passing through platforms and whatnot. They can also be hit to be moved around, as well as be used as ammo for Rock Throw once the final smash is over. Over the course of ten seconds, tons of boulders will fall, making even Hyrule Temple a madhouse. Onix then returns to normal, falling from the ceiling.

PLAYSTYLE

Playing as Onix would be more difficult if you were anything but what you are, but your being overpowered makes it very simple to pick up Onix. It takes a bit more skill to be really good at him, since if you really have skill as him you play dittos or something. Your basic strategy usually involves a lot of burrowing, not necessarily to hide, but to extract rock from the soil so as to barrage foes with projectiles.

Onix does feel very comfortable up close, though, since his moves simply outclass the enemy's in every way. Grabbing and throwing, while perhaps a bit trickier to hit than other moves, is a great spacing tool as the case is with most characters. Onix's definition of spacing involves a lot more distance, though, so follow up with either Rock Throw, or another long-range move, such as Magnitude/Earthquake or Giga Impact.

If you're feeling like a little bugger, try and trap the foe inside you with your Neutral Combo. You can rack up some damage and then briskly KO the foe with a smash or an aerial or something. Digging around is generally being a nuisance, so obviously use it as much as possible.

Speaking of aerials, they are actually usable, in moderation. Provided you built up momentum from digging at mach speed, Onix can easily overwhelm the foe with a NAir or FAir, then go for a KO with an UAir or BAir. Onix's riskiest move perhaps is a DAir, due to its spiking properties. If you really feel like humouring your enemies, go for a spike with that, but you have a good chance of SDing if the opponent so much as shoves your head off the ledge.

All hope is not lost if you do fall off somehow, since you may still aim Onix's head at a ledge, or dig into the side of the stage and get a sneaky USmash in. The chances that you do get off the edge don't come until very late in the game, however. Onix is just so large that he won't even be at a real disadvantage in Sudden Death.

In summary, there isn't a lot to Onix. Apart from the occasional mindgame or tricky use of Dig or some other shenanigan, such as gimping, it's quite easy to win as Onix. Of course, in free-for-all battles and other similar situations, such as capture the flag, the opposition WILL single out Onix and take him down nine times out of ten. That's where you really have to shine as an Onix player, adapting to your environment and using it to your advantage.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
After less than a week, you get more of my top 5 lists! This time we'll be looking atMYM5! Not to mention Plorf didn't mind me semi-killing Onix's reception by posting it now (y). Now let's get to it:

#5: Jumpluff by KingK.Rool

“Enter the truly meaty part of Jumpluff's game. Upon using this, Jumpluff hops ever so slightly off the ground, and, suspended there, glitters gold and green. This attack takes juuust under a second, so it's one of his laggier ones. If pulled off uninterrupted, this will heal Jumpluff a certain amount, usually between 3%-15%. Where in that range it heals depends on how high off of the ground Jumpluff is, and how close to the sun.”

Jumpluff, while one of the cutest 3rd-stage pokemon out there, is pretty much used by no one and is useless in competitive play. That being said, this set really manages to create a playstyle that absolutely screams “Jumpluff”, and is quite fun to boot. Jumpluff is primarily an aerial character, who can do a little bit of everything in the air. Of course, Jumpluff needs to get fairly high up in order to operate effectively, and with its only reliable KO move needing to be executed from high up, its important. Most of Jumpluff’s other moves only exist to supplement its air game, including various defensive moves and moves that otherwise incapacitate the foe. The most notable moves involve Jumpluff burying a seed, which can have several different results depending on the move used. A large sunflower that helps Jumpluff get farther up into the air or Leech Seed vines that immobilize opponents can eventually emerge from where the seed was buried. Jumpluff’s down smash is also notable, as it restores the short lifespan of said flowers and vines. There’s also the aforementioned Synthesis, which is key in helping the super-lightweight Jumpluff survive longer. And I even have yet to mention Sunny Day, which boosts the usefulness of many of its moves (Synthesis most notably). And did I mention that Jumpluff has several alternate methods of movement to make up for its horrible ground speed? Yes, Jumpluff simply has loads of depth, and not even a rather lolwut grab mechanism can dilute this fact too much. If you read any K.Rool set from MYM5, this is the one you should read (and read Count Cannoli while you’re at it).

#4: Dark Gaia by Hyper_Ridley

“Dark Gaia, to put it simply, is the God of defense. While he has next to (zero) approaching options, he can stop an approach with ease and punish those who fall for his baiting tools. When a foe does get in close, Dark Gaia will have to rely on his excellent grab game to get the job done, including an additional special move that can only be performed from a grab!”

Those of you who weren’t present for MYM5 may not have been aware of this set’s existence. That’s because Dark Gaia didn’t place: an outcome I can only blame on the fact that HR had so many awesome sets in MYM5, that some were bound to lose out. It’s a shame that Dark Gaia was one, since it aged quite well in comparison to HR’s other MYM5 works. Gaia is the essence of “HE’S TOO BIG”, thus he was greatly de-sized for his Brawl appearance. As the above quote may suggest, Dark Gaia was one of the first great defensive sets (before the concept was overdone and the mere mention of the word ‘defensive’ invoked rage from MYMers everywhere). He can’t approach worth anything, but he can certainly force one. Some of his moves give him superarmor or other protection from attacks, forcing foes to find another way to damage him. And his absolutely epic forward smash shuts down campers like no one else. While Gaia generally has a hard time hitting with his slow, powerful attacks, the secondary functions that a few of his moves have can trick and punish foes. Not to mention that his down special gives him a better chance to actually get off his laggy moves. Finally, Dark Gaia IS an oversized final boss, so its only natural that the majority of his moves are as epic as they come. While I didn’t realize it at the time, Dark Gaia was ahead of its time. *insert obligatory phrase urging you to read Dark Gaia here*

#3: Hyatt by MarthTrinity

“Hyatt tilts her head slightly and…oh God! She’s not dead again is she?! Hyatt opens her mouth and a stream of blood pours from her mouth to the floor below her. A useless move when it comes to attacking, the pool of blood left behind from this attack causes foes to trip if they step in it making it a perfect set up for a smash attack!”

Ah, Hyatt. 2 contests before Valozarg, Hyatt was the undisputed Queen of bloody movesets. MT perfectly captures Excel Saga’s unfortunate Hyatt in this set, from the ability to cough up obscene amounts of blood to randomly passing out for no reason whatsoever. Hyatt’s playstyle is quite simple: create blood puddles, KO the opponent. She can use the blood puddles for stage control or damage racking with her up smash, or she can re-absorb them to regain a bit of health. She’s typically forced to rely on her puddles to create an opening for her, since she’s bad at approaching. She does have some mindgames going for her close range attacks though, thanks to her erratic movements and having low start lag on most of her moves. MT’s signature friendly writing style is present here, and makes reading this set quite enjoyable. And did I mention that this set got me to watch the awesome Excel Saga? If you saw my own set for Excel later in MYM5, you’d already know that. Regardless, Hyatt is a flat-out awesome set that deserves your attention.

#2: Arthas by Chris Lionheart

“Arthas's most important skill, period. Arthas stabs the ground with his sword, creating a ritual circle of gold. This summons an Acolyte, a human cultist loyal to the Lich King. These acolytes immediately get to work summoning buildings in the background. Buildings can summon undead units at regular intervals or produce other effects. Each building has its own completion time. Buildings will be further explained in the later buildings section of this moveset. An Acolyte has 30 health and is incapable of attacking foes. This move has a 1 second cast time (beginning lag) but low ending lag. It costs Arthas 30 mana to use this move.”

So, Arthas. I must first admit that I know next to nothing about Warcraft in general. That certainly didn’t stop me from enjoying this set. While you could attempt to actually go on the offensive with Arthas, he requires the assistance of his units and multiple corpses before he’ll actually have a chance of succeeding. That being said, Arthas has a lot of defensive/zoning attacks to help him out; either to protect himself or to protect his Acolytes while they create buildings. And of course, there’s his specials, which give him the power to create/sacrifice/heal his units. Taking into account all the depth this set has with defending yourself/units, managing units, controlling corpses and going on the offensive with the aid of combat units; the ease of the building system is welcomed, especially by a non-WC player like myself. And it goes without saying that many of Arthas’ individual attacks and combat units are completely awesome, to say the least. Truly one of the few great summons movesets, Arthas is definitely worth a read, whether you’ve already experienced him or not.

#1: Alphonse Elric by MasterWarlord

“Alphonse claps his hands together in mid-air, then re-appears on his currently set transmutation circle. This essentially gives Alphonse an infinite recovery. Can you say broken? Not exactly, as upon using this the transmutation circle Alphonse recovered to will vanish, meaning if Alphonse has no circles he has no recovery. That said, if he does have a circle, the recovery is perfect, as this move has very little lag.”

And now we have Alphonse. I supported this set to win the whole contest back in MYM5, ahead of both Acid Seaforce and Raiden. If anything, my high opinion of this set has increased upon coming back to it. This is certainly a set that defines Warlord as a set maker, being a heavyweight, having a high amount of alternate grab methods, an obligatory stomping attack, and a suicide KO method. Did I mention the chaingrab? Anyhow, the main part of Alphonse’s playstyle focuses on his transmutation circles: he has to have at least one to use most of his more powerful attacks, and he needs time to create them. Luckily he has his mindgamey neutral A attack to help him out, and the healing properties of his up tilt and down smash to help him stay alive longer. The fun starts once he has them set up. His most efficient way of racking damage is via his chaingrab. It only works against walls, more specifically the walls that he can create via his up smash (Alphonse was the set that originated the idea of creating walls IIRC; MYM6 sets like Bubbles, Bleak and my own Raven set further elaborated on this concept). Alphonse has quite a few ways to get KOs with his powerful moves, but most of them are fairly predictable. The best way to get them to hit is to stun the foe with his down tilt traps (they require transmutation circles) or another move. His forward smash, one of his prime KO moves, can even do this for him. Surprising a foe with your removable head… lulz. And of course there’s his suicide KO, which has him literally stuffing his foe into his armor and trying to suicide with them. More fun stuff.

The whipped cream on top of this set is that Warlord thought about more than just making a good set: he went out of his way to make a set that beats MK and is countered by Bowser and Ganon (yes, heavyweight bias) in an attempt to ‘balance’ Brawl, and actually gave quite a bit of thought to doubles play. This is truly the one MYM5 set that everyone should read, and it remains one of Warlord’s best imo.

Honorable mentions: Cutesy Beau by Junahu, Team Rocket by Junahu, Count Cannoli by KingK.Rool, Acid Seaforce by Hyper_Ridley and Spadefox, Bass and Treble by Hyper_Ridley, Mewthree by Hyper_Ridley, May by SirKibble, Heat Man by SirKibble and Plorf, Ryuk by MasterWarlord, Bubble Man by Agidius, Gwen by Chris Lionheart, Raiden by Smash Daddy, Computer Virus by SkylerOcon, SirKibble and MarthTrinity

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
what is the ultimate cancel code?
You sure you're in the right thread, dude?

✖[COLOR=#gray]ONIX[/COLOR]
*bans from tourneys forever*

lol, I'll give him a real read soon enough.

MYM5 top 5 list
YES OMG SOMEONE ELSE APRECCIATES DARK GAIA I LOVE YOU!

I knew I wasn't crazy when I placed him as my third best set. :cool:

Naturally I agre with Alponse for #1. Should've won MYM5 over pity-vote Seaforce and *shudders* Raiden. Arthas, Jumpluff, Hyatt, all worthy movesets.

I'm also quite glad to see Bass and Treble as well as my precious Mewthree get a nod.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Are you saying we should get rid of MYM?!!!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think there's still a lot of life left in MYM! Don't pull the plug! Or else I shall say "NI" to you!

Ni!
Ni!
NU!!

Anywho, what i am suggesting is not to get rid of MYM, but rather to have MYM 8 in the general brawl forum, as opposed to the smash workshop, to get more activty in the thread

Kaiser6012

Smash Cadet
A brief pop-of-my-head into the thread to remind everybody that the Story Mode is, indeed, going ahead. Polls close tomorrow, so make sure you get your last votes in!
The poll, for those of you who have forgotten, is here: http://kaiser6012.wordpress.com/story-mode/

Also, fear not: I have been on hiatus working on a stream of character concepts for MYM8. As a brief teaser, think on these ideas:
*A legendary knight who takes to the skies with the aid of a very special piece of machinery
*A skilled swordsman better than any centaur and the army he leads
*A cursed warrior who gains strength from his curse, and the many faces of his disability
*The fighter who wields the power of mythic creatures from more than a century of centuries ago

What could they be? You'll just have to wait to find out! *evil laugh*

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Chill Man.
So, you ended up making what Agi said he was going to do originally, interesting. So upon reading Chill Man closely, I found that it wasn't so much a moveset for the character, but rather a concept. What I saw for a lot of moves and such was the use of ice in a way that doesn't seem entirely in-character for Chill Man, as much as any ice-type move. In the long run, it's not a bad moveset, no, but it does feel a bit like Sandslash in that the flow is a bit choppy-- moves don't seem to work quite so well together. As such, it feels just a tad dated. Now I'm not the one to criticise playstyle, but I'm just noticing that Chill Man feels a bit haphazard or... rushed, if you will. At least Khold's making movesets though (Y)

As a side note, I'd really like to get a few posts in (four, I believe) so I can post a moveset on the next page. Please comment Chill Man/whatever else is new in the thread, please.
Thanks for the comment Plorf. I probably brought it on myself, but really, one comment?
Chill Man was made spur of the moment, a five hour set. That's probably the reason it is the way it is. Looking back on it I see it does have some kinks, but whatever, I did all the moves in one sitting in order. And what do you mean "as any ice-type move"? Sandslash has a lot more flow than Chill Man, but Chill Man does have plenty of flow, considering moves that aren't straight up "hit the guy for damage lol" are made to encourage the foe into his Chill Spike.
Oh, and I hope you know I was thinking of quitting MYM before I made this guy. He was my Phoenix Down for MYM. If you must choose, however, give Sandslash voting priority over Chill Man. I'm not saying don't vote for him, though. (H)

The spam is a shame, and Luffy, could you be a bit less... erratic? Seriously, one comment?

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
The spam is a shame, and Luffy, could you be a bit less... erratic?
All right, all right, I'll calm down. The whole freak out thing was mostly just a dumb joke. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm sorry.

But it hasn't been just one comment. I've heard a lot of people talking about how MYM is losing life. And since it's the main reason I joined Smashboards, I get a little defensive.

JOE!

Smash Hero
All right, all right, I'll calm down. The whole freak out thing was mostly just a dumb joke. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm sorry.

But it hasn't been just one comment. I've heard a lot of people talking about how MYM is losing life. And since it's the main reason I joined Smashboards, I get a little defensive.
Which is why I am suggesting we have MYM 8 in the general brwl forum, to get more people invlved snce mny more forum-goers would notice it in there

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I like this little series of yours, Silver - although I do disagree with a few of your choices this time around. I still feel MM is my strongest set that contest (although this is getting less and less popular as a stance) , and my opinions on Al are probably still well-known. Good call on Arthas, though. Dark Gaia got 0 votes what a crazy MYM we lived in

Team Rocket Grunt

Brilliant concept, absolutely amazing. You make a multi-Pokemon set work together, but more than any prior set ever did before. This entire moveset almost feels like a tribute to Make Your Move, drawing on all the concepts of sets before it and making all sorts of references like Goo Chain to our twisted little culture.
:bee:

The move interactions were all so entangled that it was truly hard to figure out where one character started and another character ended, but in a good way. You've got a lot of interesting, intricate combinations, encouraging the player to take a slow, methodical approach to unlock brilliant interactions.
:bee:

Yeah, that was exactly what I was going for. A lot of the interactions are either logic or can be discovered with a bit of time and experience - and in the meanwhile, the character is not impossible to play as on his own merits.

Or not. The poison mechanic makes the Grunt into a much faster paced character, but in a rather disappointing way. First of all, while poisoning is definitely a strategy Team Rocket would go by, the way you implemented it is so unintuitive. Poison that has to be stacked by repeated attacks, that wears off after three seconds? It's really, really obtuse, and doesn't make sense for what one would think of as poison.
What one would think of as poison is... something Jafarish or Acid Seaforce-esque. I don't think Grunts use poison like that, in particular - they never specifically use an attack like Toxic or Poisonpowder. They're attacking while poisoning, and if the two overlap, all the better.

How can I be so obtuse? I don't know, but the point is that it makes Grunt into a much more flexible poison character. Frankly, if I didn't have the poison submechanic, the whole tangle of interactions would be somewhat playstyleless. And flow would go clear out the window.

But the problem I see with this poison mechanic is that it makes so many of these ideas and interactions so much more difficult than they already were to take advantage of. Zubat has heavy mindgames with his Echolocation and use of psuedo-terrain alteration and copied hitboxes. It's very clever, if somewhat confusing. But if I'm playing as Grunt, and I have to hit the enemy with a poison attack in THREE SECONDS or lose ALL of the progress I've made towards KOing the foe in this stock, I'm not going to bother with it and focus entirely on just spamming out whatever poisoning moves I can.
I think you've gone wrong a bit here. You don't lose ALL of the progress, not by any means - remember, they're taking damage every second, and if you get them up to seven afflictions, say, and then mess up, they've still taken a truckload of damage. Once they're that damaged, if you have the option, you can just throw your arms up and concentrate on an explosive finish or maybe some form of suicide that they will now not be able to break out of.

It's certainly not impossible to implement some of the cool stuff you put in here, but with that incredibly punishing time limit constantly on my mind, I'll never be able to try it without being some sort of super player. It reminds me of the complaints you had with VideoMan.EXE, but I find Team Rocket Grunt even more guilty due to compounding these confusing interactions with a very harsh race against time.
The race against time is strictly optional, though. Grunt doesn't have to KO through poison to be viable. VideoMan.EXE (although I fear I'm opening a can of worms here) does have to make his videos to be viable, damaging attacks or no.

There are other minor nitpicks I have about the set; Zubat has relative trouble getting into the air despite being an aerially focused character, and can't get very high into it either (wouldn't it've been simpler for him just to have very good aerial DI and low fallspeed?). Grimer's inability to take vertical knockback has so many implications that I can't quite grasp what all it implies. And of course there's the fact that they none of them have a direct recovery option (and even Houndour's is somewhat marginal).
Good aerial DI, low fallspeed? But then you'd lose that wonderful up-and-down mechanic of flight that makes Zubat such a tough little target! As for getting up in the air, yeah, he can't really get too high up there, but I didn't figure he needed to. A bat doesn't soar up among the clouds, after all - he skims low to the ground as he hunts.

Lack of recovery is a necessary evil, although switching from a burning Houndour into Zubat entirely restores your horizontal recovery and also hits you upwards - not all that terrible. And Grimer is pretty tough to get off the stage at the best of times.

What I lament though is that if Team Rocket Grunt kept all of its concepts, and the only thing different was that it got traditional KOs, this would be an easy super vote choice for me. As it is though, it's simply too overwhelming and the poison takes the spotlight off of what the real focus of the moveset is.

Despite all of the nasty, nasty things I've said, Team Rocket Grunt was a blast to read, and certainly a good moveset. Tearing movesets apart is how I show I care.
Thanks, meanie! I know that your comments are pretty particular; hell, I love them for that. ;)

I still have a Rocket-Grunt comment pemnding (which I've read a bit more of, and I think it's a great set so far),
Whee! I'll be waiting. :bee:

ROCKET GRUNT

Dunno where to start in this complicated move interaction web. I wouldn’t say it has that many more interactions then the standard set, but the fact there’s so many inputs to scatter them through can make it somewhat difficult to follow. Your good writing helps with this as well as you being subtle about all of Zubat’s attacks being able to fan smoke rather then blatantly stating which moves move how much and so on, and by the time you’re at Grimer it’s all making a surprising amount of sense. Fine organization, nothing particularly special. . .Though it’s dragged down back to Warlordian level based off Houndour’s body text. I couldn’t care less about Zant’s body text, but I had to freaking highlight Houndour’s entire set. Such a spit in the face of Smash Blue (Which has 99% less ads/lag) is not something easily forgiven.

But anyway, the actual set. I’m very surprised how much you got out of these three rather basic Pokemon, though I agree with Junahu on you taking a bit too much creative license with Zubat and all the crazy stuff his sound waves did. Moving on to the main attraction of having three characters interacting with each other to such crazy extents, it’s not like something like Count or Bass & Treble in having all the characters on the screen at once, but it’s not a generic Pokemon Trainer either. The way you have to manipulate the mechanics to get them all on at once makes for a pretty damn unique and thought provoking experience. I was also surprised at the amount of versatality you managed to squeeze out of them all. With a miniature Count and a semi grab-KO mechanic, having the explosive Grimer and the mass Zubat mindgames helped in eliminating any possibility of even the slightest flowchart playstyle for this one. Granted, I wish you’d of gone into more detail about the various possible strategies in the playstyle section or walked us through a match, particularly when the part about how to play as just two of the Pokemon and not three felt rather fillerish and irrelevant, just something to appease Junahu.

Certainly not without flaws, but they’re mostly fairly minor quibbles and this is quite possibly one of your most ambitious sets ever, yet you still manage to pull it off. A superb "parting gift", Rool. . .
How do I know what's going to look good in Smash Blue? I don't organize for Smash Blue. ;)

And the playstyle section is written more as a presentation of multiple options than a comprehensive strategy guide. You've got mini-guides scattered throughout the moveset and I explain most of your interactions when I present them, so I figured the playstyle section should act more as a beginner's manual.

In general, good to hear that my last set was my most ambitious one. It certainly had the most planning involved. (Y)

what is the ultimate cancel code?
What you talking about? You crazy, man.

Losing activity is not quite the same thing as losing life. A thread can't lose life - it'll come back around eventually, even if it's under a different name. And anyway, I'm not sure who you've been hearing, since I haven't seen you in the chat (where most such discussion goes on) and the thread seems fairly clear of such heresy.

Anyway, to paraphrase, here is what I said to TWIL about Shiki when I previewed her:

I actually really like this set; it's probably my favourite of yours in a while. It's very simple, with some attacks so short that they'll probably be attacked as uncreative - I mean, I haven't seen a one-sentence attack since MYM 4! This doesn't bother me, though, because Shiki's fighting through a proxy, a very unique idea. She's like a two-in-one character who needs to constantly think about managing both - you control the one giving the orders, making the one doing the fighting really very interactive indeed... but since you also have the vulnerable one, you have to cover all of your weaknesses. It's very simple but I'm quite sure it hasn't been done.​

I'd add that the set is somewhat Brawl-esque - very basic attacks, in general - but for what it is, it's certainly enjoyable. It'd be bloody easy to implement in practice, too, and would likely be a favourite if it were actually in the game. For that, at least, it's a meritous project.

Note that I have yet to read Jeff Hardy. -_-

And one more thing:

MYM 7 ENDS TONIGHT AT 12:00 EST.

THAT IS, 5:00 AM GMT.
11:00 PM CST.
10:00 PM MST.
9:00 PM PST.
AND 8:00 PM IF YOU'RE IN ALASKA. IN WHICH CASE IT'S DARK ALL THE TIME ANYWAY, SO IT HARDLY MATTERS TO YOU.

Get your sets in before then, folks.

Kaiser6012

Smash Cadet
Or 3:00 PM EST for Australia. Don't forget us! ;)

EDIT: To save this post from being complete spam, I'll be commenting on ONIX.
First up... size?! Holy @#%(, Plorf! It's friggin' massive! Onix is only about twice as big as the trainer in the pokedex. It's... wow. The rest of the stats I can (barely) understand, but that... ****, man.

Actually moving on to the moveset, I think there's a bit of Pokemon syndrome going on here (if I have the terminology right). Most of the moves fit, but then you come out with a couple of doozies, in particular Pursuit (a dark move that, if you stay true to the text, actually punishes people fleeing rather than following) and Twister (a dragon move. Say no more). Were I in the position you were in, I would have made Twister a different move name - Constrict. It fits better and I believe ONIX learns it naturally.

Now, for the bulk. I like your theory - a big, scary monster - but really, it's horribly, horribly broken. I don't think anybody, at any time, could kill ONIX. Not even Valozarg could do anything. You make sure that all the attacks are basically unreadable through Dig and then wail on the opponent without mercy. Even if you knock ONIX off, though (a big ask, as you need to hit his head), there's almost a guarantee that he'll stay on the field, either through Bind or simply because it still has it's tail in the ground.

I like the set, don't get me wrong. It's been well thought out and obviously has some sort of flow to it. The set is just too borken (I meant to do that) to be allowed a good score. I give ONIX two-and-a-half rocks out of five.
Good ideas, bad implementation.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
votes

super votes

1. caterpie
2. badman
3. team rocket grunt
4. doppelori
5. silver the hegehog
6. kamek

normal votes