• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

Noa.

Smash Master
I was talking to Hilt.

Pika is a great opponent to cp against. You just seem to lack matchup experience. Pika's usmash only works well out if a dash, making it east to shield. You should di out if dsmash to not get sent up. Whistle the thunder. It's easy not getting g killed by Pika.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I feel bad for not telling you ahead of time. X.x
lol don't, it's fine. If I decide to go back and test them with vs mode percents then I'll have a good window to test them with, since I know most of them will be about 2-4% less than the data I already have. Until then, using this chart, myself, I'll be fine with, since the attacks will usually be DI'd anyways.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I was talking to Hilt.

Pika is a great opponent to cp against. You just seem to lack matchup experience. Pika's usmash only works well out if a dash, making it east to shield. You should di out if dsmash to not get sent up. Whistle the thunder. It's easy not getting g killed by Pika.
I messed up nya. T_T I had won the first match, too. I liked it against Meta Knight, though. Even though I died from strong hit nair. Both times.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah i don't really mind the stage against pikachu. It could well be our best stage to face mk on, tbh. We just kill him way too early. The section he's able to shark us on doesn't last long at all. Snake I definitely don't like fighting on, but I wouldn't ban the stage against him necessarily. I don't particularly like it against diddy. It's possibly our best stage to take Marth to, as well as Lucario and Peach. I'm not sure about it in the Luigi matchup, as all of his kills on us will come vertically. Though I think if Luigi's landing a kill on us it's gonna kill us no matter what stage we're on XD

Denti

Smash Master
does anyone know who the stage will target with the laser, claw, and bomb? it can't be 100% random. One match the stage targeted me every time we landed on the ship and i was punish on my last stock and lost the set..

seriously, i was targeted 5 times in a row and my enemy never was. lost to my own CP, talk about embarasing

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
B tier killikng percents on halberd.

moving platform ship

purple red/blue yellow

dedede 83/80 100/98 108/106

pikachu 61/58 78 /73 85/80

olimar 62/59 79/75 85/81

lucario 68/65 85/81 90/88

i'll finish mr.game and watch later... he is making me.. AUGH

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yep, I just started. Not sure if I'll do it all today or if I'll take my time with it. It's taking a lot longer than the training mode way, lol. Just finished with mk and Jiom (Jules you really need a name change XD) has offered to help me out :)

I edited what we have so far into the chart on the previous page. I put an asterisk next to all of the percentages that have been corrected and left the other ones the same for now. They will be fixed soon.

edit: finished snake

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Done with b tier except mr game and watch, I'm kind of busy right now though so you might have to wait longer for luigi/peach/mr game and watch

RichBrown

Smash Master
Sorry to go completely off topic, but I just wanted to say again that Frigate is a good stage for Olimar vs Marth

We get more purples and yellows there, which are great for this matchup

If we manage to get Marth off stage on the right side and he's forced to upB, that's a free hit, and free hits for Olimar are stupid good

the 2nd part of the stage, Cornelius (the side platforms that pop in and out, it's called Cornelius because that's the name my friends and I gave to the ghost platform on yoshis, and since the frigate platforms serve the same purpose, they too are Cornelius) can sometimes save you, and it's a little easier for me to camp for some reason on that part of the stage. The ceiling is slightly lower too, so we can kill just a few % earlier.

I wouldn't advise picking this against Marth, FD and PS1 are still much better choices, but ban BF or Delfino and then let them think they are being spiffy by CPing you to Frigate.

Just some West Coast Oli stuffs lol

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I can see the logic behind Frigate in our favor, but I also see the pros for him as well, as him getting us off stage is quite easy for him, and we're made incredibly vulnerable against him on this stage with the right side, as well as being limited in our areas in which we are safe (if we're on the right side we are not safe because of the high risk, limiting our area we're allowed to play on safely). I know the same goes for him though. I definitely don't think it's our worst stage for the matchup though, I would definitely ban battlefield against marth, yeah.

I actually counterpick delfino against marth O_o

Also, talking about Frigate is completely fine. The frigate discussion died incredibly fast and we really didn't touch on it much, and halberd is simple enough of a stage to where discussing things about frigate at the smae time wouldn't be a problem.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
This may seem like an odd question, but how does Falco do here? That floating platform looks like something that could screw him up, but I don't know how high-level Procos play.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't mind the stage against falco but it's not the best. The ship works well for him with its layout, and the platform doesn't make a huge difference. The moving platform does do alright against him, but it's nothing spectacular, and it doesn't stay in the section very long. I usually get horizontal kills off against falco, tbh, so I'm not sure how much the ceiling helps us. It's an okay cp but there are better options.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I don't mind the stage against falco but it's not the best. The ship works well for him with its layout, and the platform doesn't make a huge difference. The moving platform does do alright against him, but it's nothing spectacular, and it doesn't stay in the section very long. I usually get horizontal kills off against falco, tbh, so I'm not sure how much the ceiling helps us. It's an okay cp but there are better options.
Sorry to go off topic for a second here, but what do we counterpick against Falco? Since Pipes and Distant Planet aren't allowed anywhere, surely all the stages we do well on, he does well on?

To back onto topic, I've only played on Orpheon against a ROB, so my opinions of it are quite skewed against it, but it seems fairly easy for him to get us on the 'wrong' side of the stage. Also, having been randomed out by the stage flipping too many times (I'll be under the stage everytime it flips, regardless of all the things people have been telling me to stop that happening, and have even gone off the top while falling down from a DI'd upsmash :/), I have a deep-seated paranoia against the stage. I'll try it out next tournament against characters that aren't ROB and Metaknight in friendlies and see how it goes.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
My usual counterpick for Falco is Delfino. It's a naturally bad stage for him, it's difficult for him to approach us on the stage, he can't really laser camp us well, and the platform of the main stage messes up his recovery.

Smashville works well too because we can camp the platform until he lasers us to 20%, to avoid the cg. Uhh Frigate works okay against them tbh. I'm not sure what else... Rainbow Cruise?

But yeah Delfino's definitely my #1 counterpick against falcos.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You use PS1 as your counterpick? May I ask why?It's a great stage, and I do like it for Olimar. I've just never been able to get a lot out of it as a good counterpick.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I really can't explain why, other than I just really like big stages. It gives me room to work, time to think, etc. Fits me more as a player than for Olimar ya know

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I used to die a lot on this stage on the part with the flying platform because I would go too far in when I was uairing from below and assumed that my tether would automatically home in no matter where I was.
Setting the edges of the boosters as the limit (unless I was planning on using the little hop from his UpB to get on) seems to have solved that problem.
That post made sense to me, but I'm certain that 90% of the board won't understand what I'm trying to communicate. ^^;

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, time to pick this back up X:

So far what I'm understanding for Halberd so far is:

Watch out for snake.

Take anyone else here if you don't have a better stage.

Except maybe gw.

Anything else? Or should we move on to Castle Seige?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
One last thing about Halberd, there's a little hard-to-see area near the edges of the large stationary platform (the one that the flying one sets down on) that makes you spike your pikmin into the ground for some reason. Common knowledge, just throwing it out there. <_<;

I agree with going on to Castle Siege.
Didn't we discuss this stage when we had a short Marth discussion a while back (not the AIM one, it was on the boards)? IIRC, people thought it gives Marth the advantage.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Castle Siege

Summary: Another stage that changes throughout the match, castle seige is composed of three phases that are complete different from each other, and each have their pros and cons for Olimar, and are good in different matchups. Like I've done with other stages that have different phases, I'm going to separate the phases of this stage into sections and talk about each of them specifically.

Phase One: An interesting stage, being that one half of the stage is set at a higher altitude than the other. This, in effect, boosts Olimar's ability to keep opponents out of his area by making fsmash and grab much more effective. The platforms benefit this as well, as they make it more difficult for the opponent to get in from above. So, in combination, the opponent has to both get past a grab/fsmash while not landing on the platform, which can become quite difficult. Fsmash is more effective when you have the high ground, although grab is still a viable option. Conversely, when Olimar has the low ground, grab becomes extremely superior, while fsmash actually becomes quite useless, as if it hits the slant, it loses its hitbox. The platforms are amazing for platform traps, due to how much area they cover, compared to how big the stage is.

Pros:
-Extremely easy to keep the opponent out of your area, due to platforms and the slants
-Grab becomes much more effective while having the low ground
-Fsmash becomes much more effective while having the high ground

Cons:
-Generally small size could pose a problem in some matchups
-Platforms can be problematic against characters that have superior platform options.

Phase Two: A really large stage, with a walk-off on both sides, which benefits Olimar greatly, due to our hindrance when offstage. We're also able to get easy horizontal kills, when close to the blast zones. For platforms, the stage has two really large platforms held by destructible statues near the middle of the stage, and two flags high up on both sides. The main problem with this stage for Olimar, is that a smart opponent is able to camp out the entire transformation, preventing us from dominating as much as we should on this phase. In theory, this would be the best phase for Olimar. But considering the opponent is able to avoid us, stalling out the phase, makes it just an intermission, of sorts. There are ways to keep pressure while the opponent is camping with the platforms/flags. One thing you may want to do is to destroy the statues, or at least the left one, as it's the higher of the two. Destroying the statues makes it difficult for the opponent to leave the flags if you pressure them while they're on it. Pikmin Chain, Up Air, and other minor options, can be used to keep pressure on the opponent and pick away at damage while they're trying to avoid you. You're also able to use this time to toss away Pikmin that you don't want, throwing them past the blast zone, and picking new ones. Oftentimes, if an opponent sees you doing this, they may begin approaching. Nobody wants to face an Olimar that has too many purples! In the event that the opponent doesn't avoid you during this phase, the statues give a different feel to the game, a bit. It makes moves such as our Nair and Up Air last quite a bit longer. It can be used to deceivingly delay fsmash. Also, while many projectiles are stopped by the statues, Pikmin Toss is not the case, so you're still able to camp through them. They can also be used to refresh some of your attacks, if you need to use your Up Smash for kills, or you'd rather White Latch to deal 6% per hit, rather than a stale 4%.

Pros:
-Huge space, lots of room to run.
-Walk-Offs on both ends, removing Olimar's vulnerability to gimps and his bad options when cornered at a ledge.
-Extremely early kills when near the blast zones
-Able to refresh moves with the statues, which is important considering Olimar's damage racking attacks are oftentimes the same as his kill moves.
-Against a stalling opponent, you're able to sift through the Pikmin you don't want, perfecting your line. Doing so is also a good bait to get an opponent to approach.
-Statues delay fsmash deceivingly.
-Pikmin travel through the statues, while many other projectiles don't.

Cons:
-Opponent is able to camp the section out, preventing us to get many of our benefits.

Phase Three: Definitely the worst of the three sections for one major reason. The terrain is a rare type of terrain found only in two stages, excluding some custom stage pieces. And considering the other stage is a part of Spear Pillar, this is the only stage that has this terrain legal. What's so bad about this terrain? It delays the speed of our Pikmin Pluck from nine frames to thirteen frames. Why does it do this? Nobody really knows. But it's a hassle, and doesn't benefit us whatsoever. The phase otherwise, isn't too complicated. It's generally flat, other than a bump near the middle-left. The stage tilts a bit like Lylat Cruise, but the ledges aren't as disastrous as Lylat's are to some characters (which doesn't affect Olimar). All in all the stage is simple, but corrupted by the Delayed Pikmin Pluck. The stage's slant isn't drastic enough to noticeably boost our grabs or fsmash, although it does by a slight bit. Similar to the first phase, Grabs are benefited by having the low ground, with fsmash being benefited with the high ground.

Pros:
-Slants slightly benefit Olimar's fsmash and grab game, but nothing drastic.
-Lack of platforms benefit Olimar in some matchups.

Cons:
-Delayed Pikmin Pluck
-Lack of platforms could become a problem in some matchups.

Counterpick:
:metaknight: :falco: :pikachu2:

Ban:
No one.

Strike Against: Marth, Diddy, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong

Pluck Percentages
Phase One - Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%
Phase Two - Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%
Phase Two - Flags: 30%, 20%, 20%, 15%, 15%
Phase Three - Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

Return to Stage Directory

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Ice Climbers have a few gimmicks here. (had them typed out, but smashboards logged me out in the middle and I'm too tired to post them again)

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Castle Siege sounds good for Olimar imo, but it honestly depends on who's going with me. I might agree to taking someone like GW or Falco here, and maybe even Peach. Probably NONE of the swordsmen though.

EDIT: So I played multiple Falcos today, all of whom I've taken to CS. It was brilliant.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I have CPed countless MK's to Halberd and I have never won there. That is my contribution on this. I normally win on stuff like FD too.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i personally love this stage and have never lost to metaknight here yet :3

people to take: SWORDSMEN! projectile spammers, campy players, lightweight characters, people who abuse oli's recovery....people with a good recovery themselves

people not to take: very ground based aggressive players, diddy, ice climbers, people who can abuse the statues added hitbox time (think DK's smashes)

RichBrown

Smash Master
Castle Seige is actually a very cool stage for Oli. The 2nd transformation is unbelievably good for Oli, he's almost impossible to beat in a walkoff situation. His projectile, along with Ivysaur's razor leaf and ROB's laser are the only projectiles that go through the statues. The added frames thing on the 3rd stage is really annoying, but not too bad. That part of the stage is like a small FD. And the 1st part has a low ceiling.

I CPed this against Tyrant last week per Dabuz's suggestion, and got a solid win out of it =)

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
nice job rich! lol

everyone feed me their knowledge of this stage. I don't have much experience at all with it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
A lot of people try to get past the second phase by just running away the whole time X: If that's the case I'll usually just take advantage of it to throw away pikmin I don't want to make my line better. Usually I'll throw away everything but purples, and pull more so that I'll have a line with more purples in it. It'll either get you a better line or force your opponent to approach (which is what it usually does for me). I do the same on Pokemon Stadium and Delfino when they try to camp out certain sections of the stage.

I really like the first phase with the platforms how they're set up. The slant actually makes a huge difference as well, making their approaches difficult. Perhaps I'll try counterpicking it this weekend.

ZERO...

Smash Apprentice
Castle Siege is one of my favorite CPs actually.

The first part (imo) , gives Oli a lot of stage control. His Fsmash basically goes across about half of the stage. You can also pressure people if they get on the platforms like on BF. Apparently there's also a low ceiling which is great for Oli. Overall, the first part is really good for Oli.

The second part is even better... if the opponent doesn't know how good Oli is there at least. Oli can camp most characters all day long and get super early Blue Bthrow/Fthrow kills if the opponent approaches. Another great part is that Oli can't die due to his terrible recovery. If they're smart though, they'll wait it out on the higher platforms with gives you a couple options. Sort Pikmin out for what you want and don't want (like Hilt said) , or pressure them with Pikmin Chain and Uair (which isn't the smartest option against some characters).

The last part is my least favorite. Sure it's like FD, but plucking Pikmin takes twice as long and the tilting has screwed up my recovery on more than one occasion(mostly because of my stupidity). The ceiling is a little high, but I could be wrong. Just play this one like a combination of Lylat Cruise (tilting) and FD.

One last thing I want to make note of is that rarely the stage transforming can save Oli if his recovery fails which is a nice touch.

Overall, Castle Siege is an amazing CP for Olimar. There are a few characters who I wouldn't CP is against such as Diddy, and DK (Mostly cause I had bad experiences with both), but otherwise, it really is a great stage.

Sorry if most of these points aren't true @_@ I tried my best to add to the discussion.

-KERO

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I didn't think of fsmash covering that much of the first section, but now that I think about it, that makes sense. I'm starting to like the first section more than the second tbh. Probably gonna start counterpicking it more to test it out. I want to try it and PS2 out a lot more because I feel they're the two stages we know the least about.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That's some good info, Zero.

I can't help but notice that Marth is listed in your "Don't counterpick" section, but dabuz's "people to take" list says "SWORDSMEN!". I'm more inclined to believe you because it goes along with the discussion we had a loooooong time ago regarding this stage and Marth where we actually got some Marth players in here, but could you provide a reason for not counterpicking this against Marth?

dabuz, please explain your side as well.

ZERO...

Smash Apprentice
Well... I'm not actually sure why Marth is good there to be completely honest, but I heard it was a good CP for him. I know very little about Marth as it is. Edit: Dabuz explained why Oli's better on that stage, nevermind.

Also, something else you can do on the second stage is stale your Ftilt or something on the statues to refresh your other moves if your opponent is avoiding you.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Castle Siege is one of my favorite CPs actually.

The first part (imo) , gives Oli a lot of stage control. His Fsmash basically goes across about half of the stage. You can also pressure people if they get on the platforms like on BF. Apparently there's also a low ceiling which is great for Oli. Overall, the first part is really good for Oli.

The second part is even better... if the opponent doesn't know how good Oli is there at least. Oli can camp most characters all day long and get super early Blue Bthrow/Fthrow kills if the opponent approaches. If they're smart though, they'll wait it out on the higher platforms with gives you a couple options. Sort Pikmin out for what you want and don't want (like Hilt said) , or pressure them with Pikmin Chain and Uair (which isn't the smartest option against some characters).

The last part is my least favorite. Sure it's like FD, but plucking Pikmin takes twice as long and the tilting has screwed up my recovery on more than one occasion(mostly because of my stupidity). The ceiling is a little high, but I could be wrong. Just play this one like a combination of Lylat Cruise (tilting) and FD.

Overall, Castle Siege is an amazing CP for Olimar. There are a few characters who I wouldn't CP is against such as Marth , Diddy, and DK (last two because of bad experiences), but otherwise, it really is a great stage.

Sorry if most of these points aren't true @_@ I tried my best to add to the discussion.

-KERO
That's a good explanation.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
That's some good info, Zero.

I can't help but notice that Marth is listed in your "Don't counterpick" section, but dabuz's "people to take" list says "SWORDSMEN!". I'm more inclined to believe you because it goes along with the discussion we had a loooooong time ago regarding this stage and Marth where we actually got some Marth players in here, but could you provide a reason for not counterpicking this against Marth?

dabuz, please explain your side as well.
ok, im not in the mood to make a huge write up, so simply: first section is very hard for marth to approach with safe moves due to the slants and his attacks that can hit low or high enough are to unsafe to use for the most part

also olimar is very unaffected by this and the platforms provide olimar a HUGE advantage because he is covered from the top, also getting kills on this part is quite easy[

second part: a lot of room which stops most of marth's pressure game, statue camping makes even safe marth moves unsafe due to extra lag time on moves when hitting statues, and if marth trys to camp the top until this part is over you can get a few up-bs for free damage if your not too aggressive (don't be aggressive on this part) all walkoffs making gimping and edgegaurding (marths most common oli killer ineffective)

third part: slanting platform the screws marth's spacing game and otherwise its like an FD made for olimar to win on, specially since FD is normally a good CP agaisnt marth anyway

Top Bottom