• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Dr. Mario's is the only taunt that can be ledge cancelled.
On Pokemon Stadium, every character can time their taunt to cancel after falling off the edge of the windmill. Audio will be there but no animation because they drop.

-The tip of the hilt of Roy's sword meteors during his usmash.

-Marth's tipped dsmash can kill Jiggs on FD at 50%. (Probably lower)

-If you down B an opponent twice as Mewtwo, the second hit has set knockback. It won't kill at 999%.

-Yoshi's dtilt has set knockback

-There is a way to perform the Yoyo Glitch with Ness that involves him getting hit while dsmashing.

-dair->down B is a legit combo with Samus.

L__

Smash Master
different surfaces will affect the knockback of Fox's shine on those that can't fall

e.g. marth, falcon, etc.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
spaceballs this samus from michigan a few years ago used to do bomb to bair combos after dairing people up and would hit with the sweetspot of the bair, can you believe that ****?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You mean at low percents where dair doesn't make you bounce? Because dair -> utilt combos then too.
Yeah, where the dair stun keeps them locked and her whole moveset combos. Similar to Falcon's, Falco's etc.

Whats even cooler is that if you dair and it grounds them, or if it makes them bounce slightly and they miss the tech:

the bomb resets them, you get the bomb jump, and you can dair again.

But you probably knew that already. Dair bomb loops on lvl 1 Fox all day.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
spaceballs this samus from michigan a few years ago used to do bomb to bair combos after dairing people up and would hit with the sweetspot of the bair, can you believe that ****?
...Bomb has like, no stun whatsoever. If they DI it up you can bomb -> nair and it combos after a dair pops them up, but bair would start too late to legit combo. Not to mention the whole "how the **** did he bounce far enough away from the bomb to be in position to sweetspot the bair?"
But silly **** like that is what makes Samus so fun so I'll believe that there was one who made it work.

Yeah, where the dair stun keeps them locked and her whole moveset combos. Similar to Falcon's, Falco's etc.

Whats even cooler is that if you dair and it grounds them, or if it makes them bounce slightly and they miss the tech:

the bomb resets them, you get the bomb jump, and you can dair again.

But you probably knew that already. Dair bomb loops on lvl 1 Fox all day.
Hell yeah son. The whole "bomb reset" thing is also pretty useful if you predict a non-tech on a platform.

xbombr

Smash Ace
Found out last night that Sheik can actually dthrow -> dash attack -> regrab on Falcon if he DI's away.

You don't even have to boost grab, just a regular dash grab works just fine.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
There is a big hitbox of falcon's grab behind him during a dash grab. Combined with movement backwards, its possible to grab from a much farther distance than you'd think.
so does this mean that when people do moonwalk -> weird backwards grab they are doing a dash grab instead of a JC grab?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I can't tell you what they DID do, but if they want a bigger hitbox on the reverse grab, dash grab is the way to go.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
-dair->turnaround utilt is a true combo with Fox on certain characters.

-dair->dash attack is a true combo with Fox on certain characters.

-Jigg's bair is DISjointed.

-Float cancelled moves with Peach are completely lagless. Nothing like lcancelling, but more like edge-cancelling (or Z cancelling from 64).

-Mario/Luigi/Doc's low angled ftilt have set knockback.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
-dair->turnaround utilt is a true combo with Fox on certain characters.

-dair->dash attack is a true combo with Fox on certain characters.

-Jigg's bair is jointed.

-Float cancelled moves with Peach are completely lagless. Nothing like lcancelling, but more like edge-cancelling (or Z cancelling from 64). 0 lag upon landing.

-Mario/Luigi/Doc's low angled ftilt have set knockback.
No idea about the first two, but...

-By "jointed" do you mean "has joints"? Because if you mean it like it sounds, aka "not disjointed"...

-Float canceled moves with Peach make her use her standard landing animation, which has 4 frames of lag, not 0.

-Doc's down angled ftilt does not have set knockback, only Mario's and Luigi's do.

Magus420

Smash Master
Float canceling is basically an autocancel, as aerials started during a float use a character specific action for each while the code for triggering attack landing lag is normally initialized within the generic action which they don't use. They forgot to include it in each of those special actions as well so even though the atk lag bit gets set and cleared properly in the sub action for that aerial there's no conditional running that checks for the bit being set when you land so you always get the normal landing/autocancel regardless.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
IHSB is ****** RaynEX's posts right now...

Found out last night that Sheik can actually dthrow -> dash attack -> regrab on Falcon if he DI's away.

You don't even have to boost grab, just a regular dash grab works just fine.
DUDE STFU

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

it just keeps getting worse...

Arcade

Smash Ace
Float canceling is basically an autocancel, as aerials started during a float use a character specific action for each while the code for triggering attack landing lag is normally initialized within the generic action which they don't use. They forgot to include it in each of those special actions as well so even though the atk lag bit gets set and cleared properly in the sub action for that aerial there's no conditional running that checks for the bit being set when you land so you always get the normal landing/autocancel regardless.
Lol, oh Magus. I can't even tell whether you're brilliant when it comes to Smash physics or just making stuff up.

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Arcade

Smash Ace
On Pokemon Stadium, every character can time their taunt to cancel after falling off the edge of the windmill. Audio will be there but no animation because they drop.
Of course. That goes for attacks too. I was talking about ledgecancelling, like wavedashing backwards off a platform and taunting while you slide, interrupted by your falling off the platform.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
No idea about the first two, but...

-By "jointed" do you mean "has joints"? Because if you mean it like it sounds, aka "not disjointed"...

-Float canceled moves with Peach make her use her standard landing animation, which has 4 frames of lag, not 0.

-Doc's down angled ftilt does not have set knockback, only Mario's and Luigi's do.

-I meant to type disjointed. I probably just missed it or something. It was a rushed post.

-Alright, technically its not 0 "frames of lag". But the move is treated as an autocancel even if the aerial is active when she touches the ground. Its such a generally accepted principal, I thought it went without saying. Maybe landing lag doesn't really count as conventional lag in my mind. Any action that involves you leaving the ground and landing on it, whether its platform hopping or empty SHing, is coupled with landing lag, correct? You're right though, technically its not 0.

-I just assumed Doc's did too. My mistake.

Of course. That goes for attacks too. I was talking about ledgecancelling, like wavedashing backwards off a platform and taunting while you slide, interrupted by your falling off the platform.
Ah, I see.

xbombr

Smash Ace
DUDE STFU

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

it just keeps getting worse...
Seriously... I'd never seen it done before...

I mean Fox, Falcon, ect. can do aerial -> dash grab, but I've never seen a Sheik do it from dash attack on perfect DI away. :\

edit: Jiggs BAir isn't disjointed, all of her BAir hitboxes touch her hurtbox at least a little bit. The end of the BAir's hitbox is just huge compared to her hurtbox.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
Seriously... I'd never seen it done before...

I mean Fox, Falcon, ect. can do aerial -> dash grab, but I've never seen a Sheik do it from dash attack on perfect DI away. :\

edit: Jiggs BAir isn't disjointed, all of her BAir hitboxes touch her hurtbox at least a little bit. The end of the BAir's hitbox is just huge compared to her hurtbox.
HTML isn't a programming language :3.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
so you play ness and your avatar is space ghost...i think that's from Knifin' Around.
why aren't we best friends?

Arcade

Smash Ace
I remember seeing some episodes on Adult Swim years ago, but I don't think they run it anymore... I just recently saw a couple more on Hulu. It's a good series... and what a good idea the show ran on.

Signia

Smash Lord
no, roy's sword is longer than marth's. Marth's hitboxes are longer, however.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i like the thread that was supposed to be about common misconceptions kind of devolved into people making pointless incorrect conjecture and stating misconceptions.

true fact, though: if timed right (not hard) sheik can ledgehop charge 1 needle at a time. also both of her feet have a hitbox during her bair...you'd just never think about it because...who tries to hit with the other leg?

Arcade

Smash Ace
Misconceptions? I think it was supposed to be about things that you'd think people would know by now, but often don't.

I learned from another thread here that apparently a lot of people don't know that smashing side B as Link or Young Link makes them throw their boomerang farther. I find it hard to believe people don't know that.

I.B

Smash Lord
During beta testing, Hyrule Temple had at least one more platform than the ones we see now. watch the Special movie and you'll see it in a couple of the Hyrule clips.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
i like the thread that was supposed to be about common misconceptions kind of devolved into people making pointless incorrect conjecture and stating misconceptions.
Who cares? As long as people are sharing, it's all good.

If I/someone/we have a misconception or whatever, it's not the end of the world. Someone else can just point it out and move on.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have one maybe if its not written yet. If you hit let's say your friend's shield with a move, the hitbox of that move will increase in range and have spike properties sometimes.

I mean I did that once with a Ganon fair, my friend shielded, I hit his shield, and then hit the other guy, and my fair spiked him at a downwards angle lol.

Top Bottom