• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 7 - It's Over, Nothing to See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Strangelove

or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

by Wizzerd​

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9128227&postcount=301

Ah, Dr. Strangelove. I have to give kudos to Wizzerd for good movie taste. I declare a toast, for nuclear Armageddon, killer hands, cowboy pilots, and precious body fluids. *Gulps rain water*

Back on topic, the good doctor has a unique strategy centered around a Doomsday Device. If it explodes, everyone goes bye-bye. It's unique in that even Strangelove himself doesn't want it to go off, but to use it as a threat to hold enemies at bay. The set's brilliant strategy of psychological warfare fits with the character seamlessly, and the set takes advantage of the character in every way it can. Each move oozes creativity, and all manages to fit into the overarching playstyle. With a complex web of move interactions one may have trouble understanding at first, the ex-nazi has no trouble holding your attention.

A refreshing twist on the long since tired out trap character archtype that breathes new life into it and shows that even the heavily explored areas of moveset making can yield new and glorious sights. In fact, merely placing it in the archtype is an insult to Dr.Strangelove. He's nothing we've seen before, and hopefully a glimpse of what's to come.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
SABLEYE​

By ZOOK

While everyone is waging war over how good or bad Kel is, here's a set that was almost universally disliked for God knows what reason. It has all the makings of a good, even great moveset, but it seems like he was passed by for sticking out from all the veteran movesets.

No creativity? All of his specials, his entire grab-game, all of his smashes, Dtilt, and Nair say hi! DTilt and Up Special in particular are some of my favorite moves ever. The rest of his moves are all simple claw attacks that are in-character and contribute to his playstyle.

Speaking of playstyle, Sableye's is really cool, which is a combination of glass-cannon and zoner. These are 2 concepts that feel like they shouldn't work together, and yet he is able to combine them in such a way that they compliment each other. Opponent dodging all of your offense? Throw a homing projectile at them that also covers your approach. Opponent playing ultra defensivley? Have their own shadow attack them and force them out of their comfort zone. Sableye can also use some self-damaging moves which increase the damage he deals, the epitome of glass-cannon. And if he starts to get uncomfortable about how high his damage is climbing he still has DThrow to heal some of it back (and his entire grab game in general also works with his zoning by allowing him to reposition the foe where he likes). His basic claw atacks are there so he can, you know, keep up offensive pressure. Just because Zook didn't shove the playstyle down your throats with every move doesn't mean that there wasn't one, and in fact Zook himself seems to have underestimated just how much syngergy Sableye's moves have. A moveset so good that the creator couldn't grasp all of it!

The only real "flaw" this set has is that some moves are too underpowered to work properly with his playtyle, but it's all just generic number-changing balance that could be solved pretty effortlessly. At the very least, the balance concerns didn't stop me from seeing the potetntial of the set.

Sableye is a CRIMINALY underrated moveset, and one that I implore everyone give a second read. It's not a set that holds your hand and spells out every detail of how he works, instead demanding that you read between the lines to see how it all comes together.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I'm anxious to wrap this up - read and comment on everything I haven't already read and commented - so I can bring out my advertisements and start putting together my votes. I have quite a few sets to get through, though, so I'm going to try something entirely new - 100-word comments! Every comment, precisely 100 words. Should force me to keep things succinct and to-the-point, as well as eliminating that nasty occurrence when one set gets about three paragraphs more than the next.

Should keep me from waxing on about a set's merits and force me to be constructive. And saving time, of course, is a bonus.

Golem's a tough set to call. The idea of completely recreating the stage terrain has never been explored to this extent and probably won't be again. You have thought of everything, right down to the specifics of practicality... but then, the set was a one-day Pokeset. This immediately implies that it was hurried, made all at once in a rush of ideas, and unfortunately it shows in that cloying writing style. Very difficult set to get immersed in, somewhat forbidding. And it doesn't really feel like Golem so much as another villainous heavyweight - why would Golem chuckle and wave mockingly?

Joe Musashi, now... quite a clever set, and definitely proof that you know what you're doing, Kaiser. There's a certain assuredness in the way you pinpoint every detail and present each attack in the same matter-of-fact way that's very promising, and the way you unveil his playstyle is key. But you've also got a few no-nos that remind me that this is your first - that terrible dark blue text (dark text is fine as long as it's easy on the eyes, but here...) and, especially, that mechanic that creates its own battle property - a very dangerous pit to fall into.

Next is Harbinger, who I've already put my thoughts on out there - excellent, excellent set, using its complexity in the service of a very complex character concept.

Not a coincidence at all - thinking of yawning makes you yawn, that's why they're contagious. As for Noddy himself, it's pretty much the same as all of yours sets: devilishly smart at first and then you seem to run out of ideas before long, turning to props and generic attacks that don't fit. And, of course, the sentence-fragment-centric writing style that makes it so hard to take seriously. There's a lot of cleverness is things like the throws, but also a lot to dislike, like those aerials that you admit to botching. And sleepy Kirby music would have been cool.

Bomber, now... is quite genius as a set. It's not flawless - it's actually quite messily done - but the concept shows a shocking amount of thought and reflection. Bomber is not one fighter: he's an endless parade of suicide bombers, spawned by factories, and it's the factories that have to be destroyed. Practically the only way Bomber damage or KOs is through suicide, and that you even pulled off something so fanciful shocks me, but there it is. Limiting your button inputs kept you from turning to filler while keeping the character workable. It's your best work, a weird, imperfect masterpiece.

I don't really know what Chucky is trying to be. This new approach of yours where you hide the playstyle by presenting seemingly unrelated attacks and then tie them together nicely in the last section works well in general, but here it just seems obscure. All I can think is that you're trying to make a point about props, going back to your roots, which is all very well and good, but... I can't quite see the playstyle there. And if it's hyper-quick damage racking, I truly do not see where your specials fit in with everything. This set's messy.

I love what you did by riffing on Mendez's layout in Alucard, Junahu. Attack/notes, pros/cons, special traits. And yet... a Junahu twist? More extras than Mendez would have shaken a stick at, adapted writing style (and nobody changes how they write from set to set quite like you) for a darker character than your usual fare, and a picture representation of attacks that I just love.

And it's a set like Dracula at the worst of times, too. I love Dracula more than I can say, but he was for a different age, and therefore had random creativity and often suspect attack/notes dividers. You carried both over with a wink, then popped down those Specials to give the whole thing some order. Or disorder, rather? Where the standards are all very simple, nigh-on-generic, the specials each contain a remarkable amount of versatility, of choice. In the specials, you're tossing down all your cards. Every aspect of gameplay, I suspect, captured right there.

And the music is wonderful (although you have too much to listen to all of it during the very succinct set, provided I skip extras -_-)(and A Secure Place and End Credits both link to the wrong music -_-). I'd forgotten, since Dracula and Simon, how great Castlevania music tends to be.

I'm going to go juuuust over 200 words now, because I'm a bit appalled that Warlord hated this set (and said it had no flow! (SHOCK)). Dude, it's versatility! It's defined by the fact that you can make whatever you want of his game (although his desire to always face the opponent makes for an intriguing set all on its own)! For being a profound puddle of options that would easily become a fan favourite character, Alucard wins both my respect and my love.

And, well, damn. Once again, reading a Junahu monster saps my desire to carry on with commenting, and there are so many sets on the following two or three pages. Bah, I only have eight left anyway. I can wrap that up tomorrow morning, which means it'll be posted by tomorrow... evening. (ONO)

Oh, yeah, and as for the advertisements above...

• Swalot's a pretty cool work, but I couldn't wholly get behind it
  • Macho Man I like quite a lot, although I think Mogenar is more intuitive and ultimately more worthwhile
  • Sandshrew is one of the eight
  • Magikarp is a hilarious set - refuses to laugh at its own character - that almost persuades me to give a wV, if only because the idea of doing so makes me chuckle
  • Arbok didn't persuade me, as I think HR sets are best when he gives them more time to breathe and develop
  • Strangelove is indeed an awesome set, although, Kubrick fan that I am, I'm biased
  • Sableye is not at all a weak set, and smacks of Zook's promise - could be this contest's Scyther, and wouldn't that be nice?

Well done with those, everybody. Keep 'em coming.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
What in the world? More of this MYM top 5? Yes, I know it's weird to be posting my top 5 sets of MYM6 in the middle of MYM7 advertising week, but I'm doing it anyway!

#5: Anne Elmtod by Junahu

“Just by capturing a player’s move on film, you stop it from taking place, a feature that will be abused to its fullest by serious players. But it is by no means a simple case of point and click, that crap is for tourists. You have to predict and mindgame and poke until the opportunity presents itself.”

I’ll be completely honest. I flat-out REFUSED to read this set back when it was first posted. “Move Diagrams?!” I thought. What is this supposed to be, a science textbook? But then I regained interest in the set due to Anne’s inclusion in Warlord’s MYM Survivor, and finally decided to read it. Then I facepalmed, upon realizing that I had let a terrific set slip right by me. The concept behind Anne is so simple, yet deep at the same time. Taking a picture of the foe’s move and using it against them isn’t as simple as it sounds: Anne players have to have a decent understanding of their foe’s moveset to predict their moves & counter by taking a pic. Once she gets a pic, her specials allow her to use that move’s effects for herself, superarmor herself against that attack, or force the foe into using that move again. The main purpose of Anne’s picture-taking and a few of her other moves are to give her enough time to land her predictable or otherwise laggy finishers. In pursuit of this goal, Anne players can either be aggressive, and just take pictures when they manage to predict and avoid an attack (though the picture will be of a lower quality, which effects its usefulness). Or they can just stay stationary, repelling attacks with the help of Anne’s monopod and her more defensive moves until she gets a chance to take a high-quality pic. Some other ways she can land her stronger moves involve her down tilt’s super armor effects, and the unique effects of her “Masamune” move. Even if she can’t land her best finishers, Anne is adept at gimping foes once she forces them off-stage. Her grabs go back to the art of prediction: she can’t grab normally, she can only counter her foe’s grab, slipping through their clutches and grabbing them herself. And did I mention how sleek and awesome the organization is? It’s quite an easy set to read, as I found out. Anne is everything that Donna Levman wishes she was, and more. Seriously, you should go read this set instead of listening to me go on and on about it :p.

#4: George A. Romero by KingK.Rool

“George Romero is a god of the undead, a rabble-rouser with infinite powers at the tips of his fingers; here is a necromancer who puppeteers the bodies of the dead like some dark ventriloquist. Well actually he's a 69-year-old man living in Toronto, but that's irrelevant here. Zombie-based moveset, anyone?”

King K.Rool: MYM’s resident movie buff. Only he could take a well-known director of horror films and turn him into a Brawl set. Of course, Romero is an old man: he has no chance in a close range battle. What he does have is HIS MIND. Essentially the god of his own world of zombies and humans, Romero’s set revolves around creating and manipulating zombies, as well as humans. His first priority is making plenty of zombies, and fast. Easier said than done. Once he’s got a decent amount of zombies, its time for him to bring humans into existence with his side special (this makes for an interesting match-up against Roller Coaster Tycoon). These humans will eventually be bitten and zombified by the zombies, adding to your undead army. Since humans are easier to summon than zombies, this is an efficient way to add to your ranks once you’ve got a nice group of zombies.

Throughout all this chaos, there’s your foe to consider. You’re gonna want to be using Romero’s various zombie-controlling attacks to direct your zombies to the foe, close off their escape options and get them zombified. Romero can also create zombie children, who exist especially to help him deal with aerial foes. Once Romero’s foe has been turned his various zombie-controlling moves will work on them, allowing him to manage a KO. Romero’s moves play with the “rules” of zombie movies that he himself established: utilizing traditional horror elements and well as the very nature of zombies. It’s like you’re actually in a horror film, only not on the side of the heroes. I also love a lot of the music included in the headers: the Susperia theme is just too good. If you’re a fan of horror movies in general, or if you just want to read a truly awesome minion-based set, give Romero a try.

#3: Umbreon by KingK.Rool

“Umbreon barks sharply (clearly a dog we have here) and a strange sound effect plays as Umbreon and any foe within the radius of a Smart Bomb of him both shimmer once, warping oddly. This has negative status effects on both the foe and Umbreon. The foe is now CURSED, and will take 5% every 2.5 seconds for the next ten seconds; you'll rack up an impressive total of 20% providing Umbreon isn't KO'd in the interim. Umbreon, meanwhile, is FATIGUED from the spell, and moves at a sluggish halved pace for those ten seconds.”

Like Anne, Umbreon is a truly great set that never caught my attention the first time around. The reason is more obvious this time: Umbreon was just one of the 7 Eeveelution sets that Rool made in MYM6, posted one after the other. All the attention was focused on Espeon, so all the other ones got left out in the cold. It’s a shame that Umbreon had to be one of them. When facing Umbreon, the stage cycles between day and night: day lasting 20 seconds and night lasting 10 seconds. As any Pokemon player (I’m assuming that’s all of you) might guess, the prime time for Umbreon to score KOs is at night. Umbreon is completely invisible during the night, which is both a hindrance and a help to Umbreon players. It’s fairly basic procedure at night: try to land KO moves and use some other moves to otherwise hinder the foe. During the day though, Umbreon plays much differently. The cat/dog/potato specializes in moving around the stage quickly, and hitting foes with passive damage (via poison or curse) and pseudo counter moves. Umbreon also specializes in status effects. HR: (SHOCK). That’s right, Umbreon and Spadefox 1.0 share this trait in common. Umbreon pulled it off far better, yet Spadefox placed in the top 10 and Umbreon was nowhere to be seen :/. Umbreon’s Punishment attack works itself in nicely, getting boosted knockback based on how many status effects are inflicted on the foe at that time. Umbreon is truly a terrific and vastly underrated set. If you have yet to read this excellent set, I suggest you get to it quite soon. Oh, and did I mention Rool’s awesome writing style (for both Umbreon and Romero)?

#2: Arche Kraine by Junahu

“I’m a half-elf you see, we live far too long to sweat the small stuff like ‘what I did that year, or what I did this year’. So forgive me for not caring too much about what I did and when. So anyway, I was out flying one day and I spied this weird old man hanging from a cliff face. He kept shouting ‘I must recover, I must recover!’ So naturally I saved the man from imminant death and he was so greatful, he told me about this ‘Brawl’”

If you’re a seasoned MYMer, you should be able to tell that the above quote is indeed from a Junahu set. For starters, Arche has unlimited flight in the same vein of Peter Pan. Instead of taking increased knockback while airborne though, she instead goes straight into helpless upon being hit, falling to her death if she’s off-stage. She’s a mage after all: they’re not built for close combat. Arche lacks traditional aerials, but instead has 3 different movesets that she can switch between at will using 3 of her special inputs. Her basic spell set consists mainly of annoying spammable projectiles and other moves that otherwise occupy the foe for a short time while Arche floats out of their reach. Her Technical-type spell set has more situational magic, mostly being used to keep foes occupied for longer periods of time to stop approaches or set up other moves. If these first 2 movesets focus on racking damage and camping, Arche’s Strike-type spell set is for KOing. This is when Arche’s attacks become pure awesome, mostly consisting of laggy finishers that effect a large portion of the screen. There’s also Tidal Wave and Tempest, which are used to impede foes on the ground and in the air, respectively. Now these laggy finishers must be set-up before they can hit, of course. This is where Junahu throws in Arche’s last special: Spell Saving. Arche can stop casting any spell at and time, and put it in reserve (only one at a time). She can unleash it upon hitting that special input again, with no start-up lag. This opens up a vast amount of spell “combos” for Arche to use to trap her opponent. Or deal damage. Or score a KO. Whatever you want. Of course you foe will be aware of this, and will be forced to pay extra attention to whatever spell you save. Now this is a Juna set, so it has awesome organization as usual. Not to mention Juna’s signature first-person female writing style. Arche is truly one of the deepest sets MYM has seen. Now read it, if you haven’t. Seriously.

#1: Sloth by MasterWarlord

“Sloth moves his arm back as if preparing for a wind up punch, then hurls it forward. This causes Sloth’s chain to fly it’s full length forward, Sloth making use of it’s range. The chain reaches two thirds of Final Destination away from Sloth with disjointed priority and does 15% with knockback that kills at 150%. This has average lag. However, once you throw out the chain, Sloth doesn’t pull it back in. He’ll drag it along as he moves about. If you use your neutral A during this time, the end of the chain will be the part that raises up and slams down. This the main reason you’ll be wanting to throw out your chain.”

A completely inter-connected set. That is what we have with Sloth. While most sets before had limited move interactions, if any, Sloth consisted entirely of move interactions. This set revolves around Sloth’s chains, his main method of attack. He can extend or un-extend the chains on each of his arms at will (there’s one chain on each arm that is controlled separately), and his other moves change based on that. Thus, Sloth can operate effectively at mid-range and at long-rang, depending on whether his chains are extended or not. Power-wise, Sloth is your typical heavyweight, and has power that rivals Ganondorf. Thus it doesn’t take a lot of damage before he can go for the KO. But true to his nature, Sloth is extremely lazy, holding him back from being absolute god tier. He suffers from fatigue much like Pokemon Trainer’s pokemon, only worse. Sloth can recover his energy by just standing still, or he can recover it all at once by taking a nap… in the middle of battle. Just how does he manage to do this do you ask? He can create a hole in the stage with his forward smash, and if starts to nap inside of it, he’ll pull more ground over himself to make him invulnerable.

Being a large character, Sloth is comboed quite easily. Luckily for him, he has the ability to latch himself to the stage with his chains, or he can even embed himself into the stage with his up special, both being methods to prevent himself from being KOed until the foe breaks the bond. He can also chain himself to boulders that he rips out of the stage via his down special, which are hard for characters other than him to move. He can even make himself completely safe for a period by latching himself to a boulder that’s placed into the stage itself (remember the holes his forward smash creates? He can put the boulder into those). Finally there’s his up throw, which breaks the opponent’s spine, bringing the foe down to his level for a while. And with his forward throw, he can chain foes to himself and to boulders, setting up other possibilities or simply giving himself time to sleep. All these interactions come together to form one of the most terrific and influential sets out there: Sloth proved that you don’t need crazy creativity to make a masterpiece of a set. Honestly, I sincerely hope that you’ve already read this set. If not, you’re only missing one of MYM’s landmark sets :).

Honorable mentions: Cloud of Darkness by Junahu, Zant by KingK.Rool, Espeon by KingK.Rool, Adeleine by SirKibble, The Count by MasterWarlord, Hornet Man by Agidius, Von Kaiser by Smash Daddy, Paper Mario by SkylerOcon and Wizzerd, Negative Man by MarthTrinity, Toadsworth by Meadow, Hades by Bkupa666, Nanoha Takamachi by darth meanie, Mewtwo by darth meanie and JOE!, Specter by Usershadow7989

Agi

Smash Lord

Jeff Hardy. Some of you may remember that I made that audio comment on him, and he was the first set that I'd read from start to finish in a loooong time. Well there was also Venom, but he was rather meh. Anyways, Jeff Hardy was a set which I particularly enjoyed. Why? It didn't have some sort of arbitrary playstyle, no oversuperridiculously complicated mechanic that made the set unlike anything ever seen in Smash Bros, which seems to be the norm these days. No, Jeff Hardy was a moveset for a wrestler. A freaking normal human being in real life without superpowers, which is rare for this contest.

Now, the actual set wasn't a heck of a lot to write home about, but it did have its moments. It emphasized on Hardy's signature wrestling moves, and especially around pinning the opponent. I know that there are plenty of sets with a forced grab-based mechanic, heck, I've made one, but TWILTY's was different because the foe has to be grounded first! Grounding moves are such an unexplored area. And really, I haven't even got started looking at the set yet. The second move that really stood out to me was the Neutral Special, mainly because it worked around another unexplored area... crowd chanting. Okay, okay, so TWILTY didn't expand on it as much as he COULD have, but the fact that it was there just makes the whole theme of being in a wrestling match all the more prevalent.

And also, this was the first TWILTY set that I read that wasn't completely riddled with horrible grammar. That was the main thing that really kept me from reading his sets before, (other than general laziness,) and I was very pleased to see he tuned it up a bit.
...so maybe that's more of a negative to TWILTY's work as a whole than a positive to this set, but it's something that caught my eye. Anyway, the point is that TWILTY's work is criminally underrated these days, for no reasons other than an iffy writing style. Give it a read, and if you don't like it, it's cool, but I'd recommend keeping it on your list of filler votes for when you run out of ideas.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Silver's MYM6 top 5: No complaints from me. Romero, Umbreon, and Sloth were all awesome movesets, and the 2 Junahu ones were good in their own right too. I am dissapointed you didn't have Spade 1.0 in the honorable mentions with a cross-out, considering how much you liked the set at the time, lol.

Nice to see an ad for good ol' Jeff Hardy. A sleeper hit for sure. :3

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Yeah, I said it already and I'll say it again - love these top 5s of yours, Silver. Romero is probably my favourite of my own movesets, up there along with Miracle Matter, Galaxy Man, and Kamek. Come to think of it, now that I've made my 35, I'll have to redo my ranking of my own movesets... but that can wait until after the advertising/voting period. Wouldn't want to look like I was finding a loophole to advertising my own sets. ;)

Without further ado, the remaining ten:

The really pleasant thing about Jeff Hardy is the way you allow the Specials to craft his playstyle and his standards to be fairly simplistic, easy to manage, straightforward. Jeff is just a random human being and it's hard to imagine his moveset reflecting anything else, but the impressive thing is the way you tie the wrestler's craft into Brawl - that certainly hasn't been done before - and also the way you bring a previously forgotten aspect of Brawl to the forefront. Jeff basically needs to get the crowd to cheer before he can bring out his KO options? That's ingenious. I'm deeply impressed with this set, actually; I don't remember enjoying one of yours this much since Itachi, and respecting one this much since... uh, ever. Great stuff, this, and I'll echo agi and say it's one that really deserves your read (and vote).

Three posts later is Psyduck (oh god this is another one of those death pages isn't it). You know, I always found it bizarre that both he and his evolution were not, in fact, Psychic-type. And in the old games, they couldn't even learn Psychic! I mean, what's up with that?

As for the set, I'm kind of impressed with the usage of tripping as a good thing - that's so Psyduck is makes the head spin - and with the generally clumsy nature of Psyduck's attacks. There's quite a bit of character being communicated there, despite a few attacks that ring of Pokemon Syndrome (the way you implemented Amnesia, for instance, feels too much like it's trying to be loyal to the games and not to logic). In the end, the playstyle feels a bit too open-ended, an unfortunate symptom of the one-day Pokeset, but on most fronts, it's a nice, fun little set.

Venom is... certainly interesting. Although I can't say I like it as much as PPiaP, it's nice to see that you can make a plain, simple moveset that is neither off-the-rock crazy nor absolutely generic. Beyond that, I see an intriguing concept in the NSpec that never really gets developed or tied in with other attacks. Here and there you've got snatches of playstyle, but in general they're pretty few and far between; the set feels both overcreative and underinteresting. I am quite impressed with the Neutral Special, though, and with how you resisted going down the truly unSmash path that this concept beckons you toward - unfortunately, in this case, maybe that path would have been the right choice.

And here we go with the sand critters, who were posted one after the other because it's a kinda neat way to present them, and also so we can sort of take a look at how a Pokemon's Brawl moveset would change as it evolved. An intriguing concept that hasn't really been looked at - HR, we totally should have posted Ekans and Arbok together (ignoring that they were made two MYMs apart...).

First up is Sandshrew, and I hate to disappoint our good Warlord, but I don't think it's one of your best, Plorf. It's hardly the blasphemous set that he'd make it out to be - it's far too aware of what Sandshrew is supposed to be doing to be that - but that playstyle is too murky and not nearly centric enough to take the spotlight. In many of his standards, he does resemble a Brawl character, and while that doesn't tend to bother me, his playstyle appears to lack a good KO option and therefore confuses me. Hiding is all very well and good, but it needs to have something to it other than hiding - it feels like you tried a caterpie-esque thing while forgetting that caterpie is hiding with the goal of becoming something better. It's almost like, originally, you were going to have Sandshrew evolve into Sandslash in-game after a while had passed, and then eventually decided to break the two sets apart completely. I can't help thinking Sandshrew would have worked much, much better as the first stage of evolution and not a character trying to fight for himself.

With all that negative, I'd like to add that the set's much nicer to read than, say, Tomahawk Man, and that some of the ways in which you tie together the sand submechanic with hiding are quite clever. It's just that there are more roads left untaken, like doing an antlion-esque burial of yourself, covering yourself in a whirlpool of sand. Coulda tied that in with some actual aggressive tactics, too. And the way the beginning of your playstyle section says the opposite of its end kinda irks me, and Warlord too, I suppose.

Sandslash is probably the least mainstream set Warlord has ever loved, apart from maybe Banette, which he didn't SV, anyway. But then again, it isn't strange that he likes it so much, considering how much more complex and developed it is than Sandshrew, with a much more rewarding playstyle section. I swear, you guys did this on purpose, didn't you? Made one set in one way, a more beginner-like way, more Brawl-centric and simplistic, while making the evolution advanced, complex, and difficult to grasp? Very clever, that, and it's funny how completely you succeeded.

I really like great big chunks of Sandslash, and the whole idea is accurate to the character, although there are tidbits of Pokemon Syndrome here and there (Poison Sting comes to mind, with its 20% chance of poisoning) and there are other ideas that strike me as a bit impractical (Sand Veil makes you completely invisible, and therefore makes it more likely that you'll kill yourself off the side of the stage than ninja-striking the foe - and reducing the blast zones is okay, but almost feels like forced creativity when not focused on as much as in Spadefox). Those are fairly small issues, and Sandslash is a big, impressive set. I quite like how much you allow to be hidden in the desert sandstorm, and you know what I especially like? How well these sets work when posted together.

Both Sandshrew and Sandslash use Sandstorm and create holes to hide in, but the ways and reasons they do both are so opposite, it's amazing. Sandshrew kicks up a feeble cocoon of sand and hides in his pits, occasionally popping out to run around and push his sand around. Sandslash covers the stage in an angry storm and hides in his pits, lying in wait for an ambush. When he emerges, it's to go on the hunt. Brilliant. As a single project, I love these two sets; individually, they're obviously and probably deliberately slanted, and neither blows me away completely.

After that beastly comment, I feel bad for having so little to say about Unown, but... Well, I do really like the enthusiasm behind the set, and the detailed but engaging way it's presented. I also like that you dove head-on into the crazy mix of abilities Unown could be capable. I mean, I never interpreted a visualization of Hidden Power as anything but a sort of flash of light, its color depending on type, but I suppose this way works, too. Of course, the main thing I dislike is how disjointed the set would look in Brawl, constantly using a variety of off-the-wall abilities that don't really connect to one another in any discernible way. I always look for interconnectedness in movesets, so I'm really not Unown's target audience. But let me reiterate that there is, objectively, quite a bit of talent shining through this set. I look forward to whatever you put out next, be it your joint with KrazyGlue or anything else.

I'm going to go with Shuckle and then wrap it up for today, because I apparently am incapable of commenting more than five sets at a time -_-. I can't even remember the last time you posted a set, Kris (or if you ever did, actually...), but Shuckle shows that you're not as crazy as you pretend to be. There's a pretty clear sense of playstyle and move interactions in this, although it seems crazy underpowered (berry fermentation takes HOW long? 2 minutes for 30% healed???) and Shuckle sounds a bit too mobile for one of the slowest Pokemon in the game. I'd have gone for an absolutely tank-like gameplay, with something very like you have with the berry fermentation. They can hit Shuckle all day, but she won't budge, and at day's end she just heals back half of what she's been dealt and the grueling match goes on. Most annoying character ever. You almost attained this idea of mine, and if you have I think I'd love this set a lot more than I do.

I've got five left - Spy, Badman, Samus Remix, Onix, and Chill Man. Good god, I still have the two big CTF movesets to tackle. I'll finish up tomorrow and then get my advertisements out there.

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
Witty and Clever Title

Piranha Plant in a Pipe
What? Don't judge me. Sure, the set does have some move restrictions. And the concept is absurd(This coming from the guy who made Blaster into a set?). But I find it a good read. Yes, it is short, but that doesn't diminish it's value as a set much at all in my eyes. Although it seems this set would just end up being ignored because everything not posted in the last couple or first couple days of the contest seems to be that way. But I digress. All in all, I chose PPiaP because it is a FUN and EDUCATIONAL moveset.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
❄❄❄~CIRNO~❄❄❄

by Tirkaro

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8948316&postcount=13

Sadly, this tiny ice fairy was buried underneath the wave of first day sets. Cirno oozes character, and Tirkaro's fun writing style and sense of humor really shines with the character choice. His unique method of separating all the technical details from the move description and presenting them in a neat list at the end of each list gave him room to have fun with the animations without leaving the reader confused. A fun concept I wish I'd thought of.

Cirno is a spammy little fairy with the durability and longevity of an ice sculpture in the Sahara desert. Rather then just fall back on projectile abuse, she uses her high speed, small frame, and fantastic aerial mobility to survive. Unlike most campers, Cirno has to think about how she uses her projectiles, when, and where. The small number of extras are funny little touches that should brighten up your day.

================================

And that's all three of my previews. I wanted to do some sets that didn't get much attention (and no, I don't know how Dr.Strangelove got in there if that's the case. I just like the set and rewatched the movie recently so that's all I could think about at that point.) that I very much enjoyed.

Sets I almost did an advert for are Saber (Darth Meanie), Rider (Darth Meanie), Lightweight Female Protagonist (A.K.A. Lucy) (MasterWarlord), Rena Ryuugu (half_silver28), Drifblim (Plorf), Omega Pirate (Hyper_Ridley), Tohru Adachi (tirkaro), Hunter J (Katapultar), Bully (KoppaKirby), Sheep Man (agidus), Abomasnow Remake (Darth Meanie), and Yukari (Emergency).

Agi

Smash Lord

Dodongo moveset from Kholdstare. Dodongo simple writing, Dodongo funny writing. Dodongo feel like Dodongo speak. Dodongo simple, Dodongo clever. Dodongo milestone in writing style.

Dodongo could be in Smash if Dodongo felt like it. Dodongo no have traps. Dodongo no have mechanic. Dodongo no have tack-ons. Dodongo throws throw opponent. What you expect?

Dodongo have playstyle. Dodongo playstyle simple, like Dodongo. Dodongo playstyle stun opponent, make damage, KO foe with baby Dodongo. Dodongo no like air, like ground. This make Dodongo focused.

Dodongo deserve vote because Dodongo simple but good, like Jeff Hardy. Also because Agi need make advertisements.

goldwyvern

Smash Ace

SHEEP MAN
He's got a job, Y'know?

Agi has done a brilliant job at making this moveset have so much character in a generic boss from a game that hadnt come out yet. The playstyle is simply simple and effective and the interaction of the clouds is completely brilliant. There has never, and I mean NEVER, been an Agidius set I have disliked, and this is no exception. It is one of the best sets I have ever read and deserves a Super Vote from anyone who reads it, as it is one of the most brilliant movesets in the entirety of MYM. My most cemented SV lock. Read it and go buy Megaman 10, peons.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I knew what to expect of Spy before I read him - I really did. And let me say, I see why people love him, praise him, want to SV him; I totally sympathize. You've got this game that sounds much more fun than a normal Brawl and you've got this character who would pretty much make a fantastic game in and of himself. The sleeper agent aspect at play, the many devices a learned Spy can use to make the opponents look stupid, confound them, trick them, turn them against each other - and then that exciting moment when they realize that there's a Spy in their midst, realize who it is, and the sleeper agent is forced to flee - it's absolutely amazing. Some of the best ideas MYM has ever seen.

But what are we here for, really? I'd say it's because, without an exception, we want to tap into Brawl's full potential and create characters for it that are more fun than those Sakurai has created. We're not here to create a game that's more fun. Spy alone of all sets doesn't worry about damage racking, KOing, recovering, and spacing. His concerns are so different from every set that's designed for an actual Brawl that I can't quite believe that so many people think that he should be eligible for voting.

Spy represents all of the creativity that MYM is capable of (hence Junahu wanting to have him eligible). But he's entirely, deeply theoretical. When you go out and make a game like this, Warlord, I'll be the first to shill out my money for it. But for now, it's not a conversion of the Spy into any existing Smash Bros, and so, even though it's one of the most creative, intuitive, enjoyable movesets ever made, I can't give it my vote.

Speaking of it's-not-really-a-set, looky here, it's Badman! Geez, this set needs a better name. Anyway, the idea here is to make your own ecosystem, and that's a pretty great one, to be quite honest. Again, creativity and innovation take precedence over implementation and practicality, because really there's so much to micromanage here before you even start actually fighting the opponent - and there are so many wild cards in the AI, even if they generally act predictably - that I can't quite imagine this set working. I'm sure that there's some gaping balance flaw or another somewhere in that tangle of wild ideas.

Those ideas, of course, are beyond reproach, and I do like seeing you take on a more derogatory, Machiavellian writing style - but at the end of the day, I can quite see why you regard it as one of your weaker sets, if not your weaker efforts.

And then Samus-the-Remake. First of all I'm going to echo Junahu in confusedly wondering why you bothered putting the set in HIDDEN tags if you're just going to put a giant, irritating-looking Final Smash on at the end. Isn't the idea for the set to look incredibly short? I mean, you could have had the shortest set ever if you'd put the FS in tags as well. I just don't get it.

As for the set itself, I'm a bit confused at how forgotten it is; it seems to have all the ingredients of a frontrunner. It's all-encompassing and certainly gets every aspect of Metroid gameplay down; it's interesting throughout, kept readable by the changes between beams that are so central to gameplay; the only reason I can think of is that the set's main focus is versatility, which, apparently, is not a playstyle at all because every character can do it/is the absence of a playstyle and therefore can't even be mentioned in the same breath as it. Rather like Alucard, Samus is too good at adapting for her own good. I really like the set myself, although the use of four different weapons that have different uses is a very old one, one that I was already late to getting to when I tried it out in Ax Knight back in MYM 4.

That's it for now. I'm really bad at the whole finally-finishing-my-commenting thing and still have two sets to go As for the three sets advertised above, they're all quite excellent, really. PPiaP is wyvern's best work, Cirno is a wonderful little set (if less interesting than Tohru Adachi), and Dodongo great. Dodongo no need fancy playstyle. Dodongo no want think, want bash instead. Dodongo sad if no get vote. :(

Ah, and Sheep Man is pretty cool, although I don't know what everyone's on that makes them so convinced that it's a mile better than agi's other sets. I still prefer Shikamaru's graceful simplicity, or Khee'bler's absolute interconnectedness, or, of course, Bubble Man's crystalline conception and workmanlike execution.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
SABLEYE​

By ZOOK

While everyone is waging war over how good or bad Kel is, here's a set that was almost universally disliked for God knows what reason. It has all the makings of a good, even great moveset, but it seems like he was passed by for sticking out from all the veteran movesets.

No creativity? All of his specials, his entire grab-game, all of his smashes, Dtilt, and Nair say hi! DTilt and Up Special in particular are some of my favorite moves ever. The rest of his moves are all simple claw attacks that are in-character and contribute to his playstyle.

Speaking of playstyle, Sableye's is really cool, which is a combination of glass-cannon and zoner. These are 2 concepts that feel like they shouldn't work together, and yet he is able to combine them in such a way that they compliment each other. Opponent dodging all of your offense? Throw a homing projectile at them that also covers your approach. Opponent playing ultra defensivley? Have their own shadow attack them and force them out of their comfort zone. Sableye can also use some self-damaging moves which increase the damage he deals, the epitome of glass-cannon. And if he starts to get uncomfortable about how high his damage is climbing he still has DThrow to heal some of it back (and his entire grab game in general also works with his zoning by allowing him to reposition the foe where he likes). His basic claw atacks are there so he can, you know, keep up offensive pressure. Just because Zook didn't shove the playstyle down your throats with every move doesn't mean that there wasn't one, and in fact Zook himself seems to have underestimated just how much syngergy Sableye's moves have. A moveset so good that the creator couldn't grasp all of it!

The only real "flaw" this set has is that some moves are too underpowered to work properly with his playtyle, but it's all just generic number-changing balance that could be solved pretty effortlessly. At the very least, the balance concerns didn't stop me from seeing the potetntial of the set.

Sableye is a CRIMINALY underrated moveset, and one that I implore everyone give a second read. It's not a set that holds your hand and spells out every detail of how he works, instead demanding that you read between the lines to see how it all comes together.
Thank you, Ridley. So much. :)

When writing Sableye, I didn't want to make his playstyle set in stone. The characters in the SSB series are not one-trick ponies; each character has an arsenal of moves that (generally) syncronize well and gesture towards a certain way to play, but leave most of the creativity to the player.

I look through MYM, and I see dozens of brilliantly creative movesets, yet they DISCOURAGE creativity from the actual player. I wanted to avoid that pattern.

Give it a read through.

Agi

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna make a list of all the advertised sets so far, with links. Why? I have too much time on my hands. PLEASE note that the name next to the set is the one who advertised, not the set's creator!

Zinger, Saber, Houndoom, Cairne, Harbinger, Huff n' Puff, Predator,
Doppelori, Alucard, Mario and Luigi - KingK.Rool

Team Rocket Grunt - agidius
Fat Bastard, Doppelori - Kaiser6012
King Boo - Plorf
Mogenar, Arbok, Sheep Man, Subaru, Sandslash, Super Macho Man, Dr. Strangelove, Team Rocket Grunt, Doppelori, VideoMan.exe - MasterWarlord

And as for the number per person? Well...

MasterWarlord: 13

KingK.Rool: 10

emergency: 6

Katapultar: 5

Monkey D. AWESOME: 4
agidius: 4

UserShadow: 3
MarthTrinity: 3
Wizzerd: 3
Junahu: 3
goldwyvern: 3
Kaiser6012: 3
ElPanandero: 3
darksamus77: 3
darth meanie: 3
Hyper_Ridley: 3
Koppakirby: 3
Plorf: 3
half_silver28: 3
Smash Daddy: 3
Neherazade: 3

kris121: 1
BKupa666: 1

Total: 87
Eligible voters: 20 + Ocon

Remember, you need to make three advertisements to vote!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Behold the best moveset ever made by the hands of man from our very own ieyasu tokugawa. It has the most interconnected deep and compelling playstyle ever made, yet it is perfectly accessible to newcomers, moreso then a Brawl character even, and leaves plenty of room open for creativity among his many various playstyles.

Let's look at some of the highlights. . .

Down Tilt:
Seth crouches and sweeps his legs across the floor to trip up his opponent. [7%]
Can you not see the sheer magnifence of this move and how it's so unlike anything we've ever seen before? It completely changes everything in Brawl, and despite being so easy to read tells you everything you could possibly ever want to know about the move. The many move interactions with this completely central move are only the icing on the cake.

Down B:Thunder
Seth raises his left hand shouting "Hold still!" summoning down a bolt of thunder from the sky to surround him. Opponents should not be too close to Seth when he is doing this. Anyone who is unlucky to stand near Seth while thunder is coming down will get shocked and knocked away. Borrowed form Pikachu. [10%-20%]
As if his amazing standards weren't enough, Seth steps up his game even more with his specials with even more mind blowingly creative yet in-smash moves. This is the definitive moveset of MYM 7, the best ever made.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
caterpie​

so here we have caterpie. now, a lot of people don't take caterpie seriously, criticizing its lack of detail and the like, but it seems as if that's the point of the moveset. the reader manages to have an image in their head of what the moveset is all about, all that concept, but the author, king k.rool, doesn't even tell you that much about any attack. when one reads closer into the whole thing, they see a lot of great ideas, presented simply. and while the moveset is simple, so is caterpie. that's the beauty of it-- he manages to make the most fitting movesets possible for pokémon. that's why you should give this a vote, or at least appreciation.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
caterpie​

so here we have caterpie. now, a lot of people don't take caterpie seriously, criticizing its lack of detail and the like, but it seems as if that's the point of the moveset. the reader manages to have an image in their head of what the moveset is all about, all that concept, but the author, king k.rool, doesn't even tell you that much about any attack. when one reads closer into the whole thing, they see a lot of great ideas, presented simply. and while the moveset is simple, so is caterpie. that's the beauty of it-- he manages to make the most fitting movesets possible for pokémon. that's why you should give this a vote, or at least appreciation.
did K.Rool ever post the butterfree set?

regardless, I've been reviewing the MYM7 sets and I think I've compiled a list of advertisements... though most have already been done. It'll be a few more days before I say anything.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
SMASH REVOLUTION, FOLKS. USE IT WHILE READING THIS TOP TEN OR IT'LL LOOK UGLY AS ALL HELL.

So, I figured, because so many of the sets I like are unadvertised, why waste time making singular advertisements when a nice, detailed top ten could be much more interesting? So here I am, advertising ten sets at once - and of course, none of them have been advertised yet.

Honorable mentions at the end, for the sake of preserving suspense, and here we go!

Zinger (BKupa666)

And first up is the big ol' bug himself. Zinger is the weirdest choice on my list, a set that even I find myself scratching my head at - and yet, it feels like the perfect one with which to kick off the list.

See, Zinger's a wasp, and wasps are all over the place - Kupa, wisely observing this, made the moveset all-over-the-place as well. While reading, you're bewildered by a stream of seemingly random attacks, only loosely connected by subthemes of stunning and aerial dominance. These themes, of course, are heavily focused on, and as a matter of fact we've never had a character as focused on aerial combat as this, with the possible exception of Peter Pan, another one of my favourites.

And just when you're thoroughly dazed by the spastic, all-over-the-place writing style, Kupa employs his one-two punch and hits you with the full force of Zinger's dazzling playstyle. It was there all along; you were just being peppered from too many sides at once to notice it. How else would one expect an irritating wasp to fight?

Saber (darth meanie)

Probably the least liked set in my top ten, so I may as well get most of the convincing out of the way right now; people don't like Saber because she's "a Brawl character". To paraphrase, she's "Marth with wind hitboxes and an invisible sword". Again with that tendancy - all MYMers have to be reductive, boiling things down to the most patronizing simplicity. It's a bodily function or something.

Saber is a spacing character, much like Marth, but she's not going to be victorious by just keeping the opponent as far away as possible, stopping them from ever getting near at all. The idea behind Saber is to blur the line between wind and sword. Both are invisible. One deals damage and one deals knockback. Where does one end and the other begin? That's what the player using Saber has to be on top of at all times, and where the game becomes a living hell for an opponent who can't make out a lot of what she's doing.

That's the idea that meanie had, and instead of bogging it down in efforts to make a sword-based playstyle seem more fancy than it has any right to be, he translated it in chunks of playstyle, walking the reader through the most feasible of movesets in the most readable of ways. The hatred this set receives is absolutely ridiculous, the product of this misplaced belief that a set that doesn't boggle the mind is unworthy. To borrow what's fast becoming a boring cliché, Saber flows.​

Houndoom (UserShadow7989)

Every once in a while I fall in love with a set, and every once in a while I fall in love with a concept. The former happened with Zinger and Saber, but this is a case of the latter. Houndoom's concept tickles me no to no end, and I truly believe (although I could probably say this for all the sets on my list) that I'd main him in a heartbeat, myself.

Burn everything. That's your concept. What more do you need?

Houndoom has any number of ingenious ways to light the stage on fire and then to force the opponent to run away from him through the fires he's kicked up. Houndoom, of course, being a hound from hell, just loves bathing in his own flames. This set's playstyle is both masochistic and sadistic, and just pure evil no matter which way you spin it.

Shadow's always been one of the more clever moveset makers, adept at spinning fancy playstyles without sacrificing feasibility. Forced to make a one-day set, he stopped worrying about every little detail - as he sometimes has a tendancy to do - and created something very spontaneous and very impressive. And for those who love reduction, they're looking at nothing less than an aggressive stage control character. Isn't that fantastic?​

Cairne Bloodhoof (MasterWarlord)

I'm so confident that you all know what's great about Cairne that I feel completely okay with using this space to talk about how damn difficult it is to find halfway decent pictures for most of these characters.

But since it's my top ten as well as an advertisement, I'll give it a shot anyway.

What's good about Cairne? What's bad about Cairne? You've got this aggressive character who likes to stall, a heavyweight who likes to fight from close range but who also wants to make the match go on for as long as possible. Rather than play around with boring stun effects and the like, Cairne slows down the match by getting right next to the foe and holding them right there with a variety of grapple-style moves. I mean, you can't write this stuff, that's how good it is. And I haven't even entered the way he centers entirely around the hole he makes in the stage. No remaking of it entirely; Cairne just creates a single pit and sits in it, because that's where he's most comfortable. If he manages to force you to join him in the pit, then you're pretty much done.

If you think Warlord's writing makes Cairne sound evil, that's because it does. The poor guy hasn't had enough experience writing for protagonists - approach Lucy in a vacuum, and she'll sound evil as well. Trust me. I can't help but think of her as some sort of sadistic demon, myself.

Harbinger (darth meanie)

Funny thing, this set. So far my top ten has been mostly focused on feasibility over creativity, on simplicity of conception and execution. Harbinger is pretty bloody far on the other side of the spectrum on both counts.

And in fact, it's one of the most creative sets I've ever had the pleasure to clap my eyes on. The whole set's bursting at the seams with ingenious ways to play defensively, to exploit every facet of the summons character archetype. Harbinger, even more than Kel, wants to protect his summons, because someday they'll be his lifeline. Rather like Cairne, Harbinger can actually not die when it seems like he'll die, but unlike Cairne, here it's for a very specific purpose instead of just being true to character - although the set has that in spades, as well.

I haven't yet managed to puzzle out every clever way in which Harbinger can tinker with his legions and the whole single-minded army can score its victories; it's a complex set, and much too much to fully grasp on a single read. But every time I read it, I find there's even more to love about it. For the love of god, don't be turned off by complexity alone, just like you shouldn't be turned off by simplicity alone.

And yes I am aware that the picture shows Collectors and not Harbingers. The moveset can be perceived as one for the Collectors in general, anyway. What do you want from me???

Huff N. Puff (MasterWarlord)

Heh? What was I saying, something about complexity? Oh, right. Don't get turned off by complexity. Well, let's just copy paste what I had to say about Harbinger and call it a day, eh?

Because really, Huff N. Puff is, once again, one of the smartest sets around. That crazy Warlord delights in ripping apart the rules of Brawl themselves, but in Lunge he did it for the sake of this clever idea he had and I suspect Spy and Valozarg are similar cases. Huff N. Puff doesn't rip anything apart - he's not limited by the possibilities of Brawl. If you wear him down to the nub, he's a summons character who wears it on his sleeve. Just because he also happens to have some ideas so powerful they take over the moveset in the aerials doesn't invalidate the plain and simple concept, which, in this case, is entirely for the character's sake, and not for the moveset's. Who was it who said Warlord was not a character-driven MYMer, anyway? I'd like to get my hands on that son of a...

Huff N. Puff is a beastly set, and incredibly unpleasant to read - although the ideas are quite magnetic, they're concealed in a ton of fluff and detail that Huff N. Puff, the fluffiest of them all, would be quite proud of. I tend to excuse Warlord's writing style as integral to the character when it suits me, and it's almost never deliberate, methinks, but in this case I feel it's actually in the moveset's favour.

And at the end of the day, what do you have? A character whose potential is limited only by your imagination. Give him a careful read, and then read him again if you're confused. Read him over and over again until you concede that even a set with an outrageous amount of creativity can be played in many, many ways.

Predator (Frf)

My last fully unpredictable choice, and it's a doozy, a set that I was truly impressed with a very long time ago and also the oldest set to make this list.

What is The Predator? A hunter. That's all you need to know to understand this set's wonderful cleverness. The Predator goes invisible and then carefully, cautiously hunts the foe. Stalks them, shoots them from afar to weaken them, torments them psychologically by repeatedly turning up where it's least expected or quite literally shoving the foe from behind and then fleeing to cackle. The playstyle concept is not complicated, although there's so much done with it, and never has invisibility played such an integral part in a character's game, let alone been implemented with such ease. I tend to like sets that deal in invisibility, myself, but Predator plays around with the idea in more ways than Saber does and with greater efficiency than Lucy does.

Frf doesn't dress his attacks up, and this is, at the end of the day, a rather simplicity-centric moveset (nice after all these uber-creative sets, no?). It's not too much of a trick to imagine The Predator playing his calm, quiet game in Brawl, and few ideas give me as much joy; implementing such a graceful idea without resorting to copious overcreativity impresses me more than I can say. If there's one set on this list that you go out and read, let it be this one.

Doppelori (Junahu)

Damn, Junahu. He's so sneaky that he chose the most obscure character in all of christendom with which to make a point about the overbearing relevance of Final Smashes. I mean, one would be forgiven for thinking that Doppelori was an original creation.

This is another set I don't have to expound on very much. There's so much to be said for the natural way Doppelori integrates a buried aspect of Brawl into her gameplay, and a whole lot more about how Junahu avoided taking the easy route and made Doppelori a naturally overpowered character who, almost uniquely, gets weaker while using her Final Smash. An uncontrollable sort of machine, clearly.

But frankly, Doppelori would be an incredible set even without that aspect; she lugs around what appears to be a sort of bazooka and can do any number of dastardly things with it. She even steals Delibird's quirk and packs her opponents into her cannon, and that's a done deal for me right there. One of the most intoxicating sets to come along in a long, long while - and let me add that for these final three, the order is very loose, if only because I'm at a loss on how to rank them.

Alucard (Junahu)

Oh, boy. I'm the only one who really loves this set, and naturally Warlord happens to be the one who really hates it. That means we should cancel out quite nicely and Alucard will just barely coast into the Top 50.

Since I get the first word, I'm going to elucidate on the many ways Alucard emulates Dracula but translates his appeal into a more modern one - the same level of complexity in the standards, very concentrated on a very simple idea. Where Dracula was all about keeping opponents from getting too close, Alucard can put them at any range, effectively. He's got options to continue his combos no matter how far or close the opponent gets, as long as he never, ever turns his back on the foe. Once he turns his back, he's combo food himself; it's fortunate that he's so good at continuing an offense while retreating.

The Specials slot very neatly into this gameplan, but I'll discuss them separately anyway, just for the sake of countering Warlord's points one by one (I'm sure he'll reply to this and we'll debate Alucard a bit in the thread, strictly for publicity's sake; we went on for an hour in the chat the other night). Although the primary purpose of all four specials is to grant Alucard the versatility to reply to any kind of threat and any situation that may arise throughout the battle, they're ultimately there to grant Alucard enough options to continue his constant, unyielding flow of attack.

And if they also give casual players enough variety to play with for years, that's just a bonus. If they happen to capture practically the whole of Alucard's character as well as quite a bit of Castlevania's gameplay, that's another bonus.

But if none of that does it for you, take another outlook. Lay back, enjoy, and stop thinking in terms to playstyle as we largely accept it today. Imagine an MYM newcomer who gets swept away with this glorious vision of the most diverse, versatile, awesome moveset around.

Mario & Luigi (darth meanie)

What can I say? I practically wanted to dislike this last set of meanie's, and I came out a convert if I hadn't been one already. I'm afraid I'm going to be gushing about every set the guy makes from here on in, although I couldn't imagine him doing much better than this, an all-encompassing, beastly project that really does encapsulate everything I love about MYM.

What is my ideal moveset? It's one that feels unique to play, and isn't just about identical to every other character in approach and tactics - this is why Brawl fails to deliver for me. But it's also a set that seems possible, because nobody likes a fighting game that's too hard to get the hang of.

Well, Mario & Luigi certainly does have an alien control scheme, one that WOULD take time to get used to. But meanie was savvy enough to make their attacks themselves largely simple, and allowed the way they interconnected organically to provide the set's forward thrust. Why isn't this set more popular, again? Something about the font being too big? You've got one of the greatest playstyles, a spirit-of-camaraderie unlike any two-in-one I've ever seen (and remember, I had two two-in-one characters in my top five!); you've got one of the most friendly and fun sets, one that I just devoured all at once, despite its girth; you've got ingenuity and a more faithful implementation than you could shake a stick at! What is missing here? I do hope it's not a balance quibble...

The sets that almost made the cut, in no order: Dr Strangelove, Mogenar, Parasol Lady Madeline, Stanley the Bugman, and Rider. And actually, there were so many fantastic sets this time around that making a votelist, let alone a top ten, is bloody torture. We've really perfected this whole moveset thing, haven't we? Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

And yeah, appreciate caterpie! My second-best set this contest, if you ask me, but then again, nobody is. ;)

goldwyvern

Smash Ace
✖DRIFBLIM

DRIFBLIM

Drifblim is a moveset from The Notorious Plorfmiester that is a very nice concept (negative fall speed) with a move spread and playstyle that's stamped with his signature minimalist genius. Plorf's writing style, ideas, and overall attitude in his movesets sets a great picture for this little Blimpy guy, and it deserves attention. Plus, all blimps are the most awesome air vehicles ever, so there's some kudos for it too.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
HOW TO VOTE

You can send in your votes starting Wednesday night. Now, this means that you have two more days to make your advertisements, and you need three to vote. So, you know, I'd get going on that.

You get 36 votes.
  • 6 supervotes, or SVs, worth 3 points each
  • 15 regular votes, worth 2 points each
  • 15 weak votes, worth 1 point each

These values are slightly tweaked to prevent vote flooding and fringe alignment and coincidation and other made-up terms that are just no good at all - but the basic idea is there.

You don't have to use all your votes. But you can't use, say, 16 weak votes and only 14 regular votes. The roofs are there for a reason, to prevent awkward skewing.

So you PM your list of votes, once you've made it - and include both sets and MYMers, please - to any of us leaders, although ideally to me, since I'm the one who's tallying them and I haven't really trusted forwarded votes ever since Warlordgate '09.

NOW GET THOSE ADVERTISEMENTS OUT

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
HOW TO VOTE

You can send in your votes starting Wednesday night. Now, this means that you have two more days to make your advertisements, and you need three to vote. So, you know, I'd get going on that.

You get 36 votes.
  • 6 supervotes, or SVs, worth 3 points each
  • 15 regular votes, worth 2 points each
  • 15 weak votes, worth 1 point each

These values are slightly tweaked to prevent vote flooding and fringe alignment and coincidation and other made-up terms that are just no good at all - but the basic idea is there.

You don't have to use all your votes. But you can't use, say, 16 weak votes and only 14 regular votes. The roofs are there for a reason, to prevent awkward skewing.

So you PM your list of votes, once you've made it - and include both sets and MYMers, please - to any of us leaders, although ideally to me, since I'm the one who's tallying them and I haven't really trusted forwarded votes ever since Warlordgate '09.

NOW GET THOSE ADVERTISEMENTS OUT
wait... is this the last day for ADs? do i have tomorrow!?! GAH! must review workshop list faster!

Agi

Smash Lord

Team Rocket Grunt. Man, this guy just didn't get enough reception. Well, I said I'd advertise him in the Recap, so here I am! Now, in case you haven't read Grunt yet, here's the deal. He's your standard Pokemon trainer, complete with three Pokemon: Zubat, Grimer, and Houndour. But the way in which Rool makes them coexist is something to be admired.

Take Zubat, for example. This quirky, hyperactive bat which we all run into far too often in caves completely matches the energy you'd expect from his battle animation. Fifteen- that's right, fifteen- jumps make him an incredible aerial opponent. Attack your foe with tiny little quick attacks, dodge all around them from all sides, stack poison effects to actually make the opponent faint, echolocate to actually reproduce a solid copy of anything... even yourself! And that's just what Zubat can do on his own.

Now, Houndour. Houndour is the one that really ties the team together. With many of his moves, he'll summon his teammates to help him, sometimes in more clever ways than others. He can't actually recover with his Up Special himself, but instead after igniting himself, he swaps to an ally to launch them up from a burned bum. Zubat's wind hitboxes can fan the flames of all of Houndour's moves, greatly increasing their range and use.

And then... Grimer. Wow, Grimer. He has a special mechanic I never quite fleshed out for Vivian... he can't take upwards knockback. He's stuck to the ground, after all. While this is completely unrealistic for an actual casual game, where there are, y'know, walls and moving stages and stuff, but the rest of the set are so amazing I'm willing to overlook that entirely. You know how much I love move interactions? That's why I'm SVing this. Grimer's central idea of using his body to fight is incredibly interesting and thrilling to imagine using in an actual match. His Side Special, Nitroglycerin, covers his body with an extremely explosive goo, which can be detonated with any of Houndour's fire attacks to deal huge vertical knockback which also affects Grimer... but he isn't affected by anything vertical, remember? He can further take advantage of his body being so volatile by streeeetttccchhhiiiiing to become super tall or glop himself over a wide area. And of course, he ties back into the whole poison thing back with Zubat. Just... how in-depth the moveset as a whole is is ridiculously impressive, and I've only really touched on the specials in this ad, which is already becoming too long for its own good. Read it, give it the attention it deserves, and then SV it. I know I am.

Kaiser6012

Smash Cadet

Fat *******, the Scot with the Lot, joins the final roster!

Come on... where have you all been? This is the epitome of a joke moveset, put up, nay, expertly crafted by BKupa666. Everything about Fat cannot be taken seriously, from the very first move of his list (eatin' sum chikin!) to the last (Sumo ring). But despite all this humour, liberally interspersed with quotes from the Portly Gentleman in the Kilt himself (when I saw Bthrow, I laughed so hard people had to ask what was going on.)
But throughout the set, it is made clear that Fat ******* is more than a joke set... he's a lethal joke character. His entire game is based around getting his opponent in his "belleh" and flows so well I couldn't begin to compare it to any other.
Fat ******* doesn't care about the competition. He just eats them all. Super Vote Fat *******... or he'll eat your votes.

Doppelori, the fighter with the guaranteed Final Smash potential, joins the final roster!

Doppelori, in and of itself (I refuse to call it "her", seeing as how it's a robot) is a very interesting case. Not only does it have an intriguing concept for its attack game (attacking on the approach, but not on the close or range? Brilliance!), its real drawcard is the feature that turns Brawl on it's head: it forces the introduction of Final Smashes again.
With this, not only does the opponent have a choice to make, but Doppelori itself is weighed down by the Final Smash until it can dump it on the opponent, either through connecting with its hiriffic final smash or by copying the opponent's final smash and blast them to kingdom come. Expertly deployed and fantastically woven into the playstyle.
As a side note, the trademark Junahu class and professionalism comes shining through like a beacon through the night. You are guaranteed of a good read from Junahu, even if the moveset is lacklustre. Doppelori brings these both together, and for that I request a super-vote to it.
For great Final Smash justice: Vote 1 Doppelori.

EDIT: As a final note, everybody stop your voting engines! Characters have been finalized for my planned Story Mode - any character that got 4 or more votes is in! As an added bonus, thanks to the awesome reception and clear quality, I have decided that Monkey D. Luffy is to be added to the roster of player characters appearing. Including the regulars, that makes a roster of over 100 characters! It's going to be a wild ride, ladies and gentlemen.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
King Boo

King Boo was a moveset I fear a lot of people overlooked, which is a shame. While it's not the best moveset, not being on par with, say Team Rocket Grunt or Badman, it carves its own little niche as a fairly simple character who'd feel at home both in Brawl and in past MYMs. King Boo himself has a fair share of interesting attacks, such as the wacky Up Special, or the various throws and smashes. I'm being vague because I really do think you should give this set a proper read-over. It got no comments, I believe, but it does deserve mentioning.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
10: MOGENAR

Mogenar’s concept of protecting his balls to take significantly less knockback is a simple one, but is pulled off well and is the definitive one for the character. This is certainly one of HR’s most “character oriented” movesets, especially what with that Side Special stomping all over the place to ensure no aspect of Mogenar is left out of the picture. A particularly nice highlight for Mogenar is regenerating his orbs and using his ftilt/fair energy hands to grab them as he sees fit, and even using his dair to make said hands attack so they’re not defenseless. HR even does some mechanical manipulating here with fsmash to use the orbs as bloody WEAPONS. Mogenar’s KO method, while not directly related to his orbs, is also an intriguing one that focuses on on-stage gimping, something that’s only really been touched on in MYM 4.

This could’ve ended up like Dark Gaia (Who is very good) what with how the character could’ve easily been a Valozarg, but in addition to the resize HR actually did a slight redesign to make him feasible yet still easily picturable and not losing any of what makes the guy –Mogenar-.

Mogenar almost made Rool’s top 10? Pah! Rool’s weak voting him. Seems we have another Thief on our hands. Don’t let something we’ll all regret happen twice, people, because clearly Madeleine’s enthralling animations (Lol fireproof umbrella) are so much more character oriented then Mogenar and her playstyle so much more unique and flowing then Mogenar’s could ever be. What a joke.

9: ARBOK

Arbok’s probably the most truly offensive character in MYM 7, and the one I feel that pulled it off best. Arbok gives us the shocking revelation that grabs are in actuality offensive what with how they go through shields and other attacks. . .Sooooooo why bother shielding? Dodge. Well, that would work, if Arbok didn’t have attacks that hit into the background and thus any people who are dodging, which, y’know, he does. It’s such a no brainer concept I’m surprised nobody’s thought of it before, and Arbok is easily one of the best offensive characters ever made with an actual legitimate playstyle that flows and is still easily among the most interesting we’ve ever seen, much less among those for an offensive character. As if that wasn’t enough, Arbok takes the poison which became a standard excuse for stalling in the one day Pokesets and turns it into something offensive, what with it making it harder to escape his grab. Yeah, did I mention? This absolutely fantastic set that made it here was made in a single goddamn day. Beyond his background hitting attacks, Arbok is very simple and has a similar appeal to Macho Man, so again, I fail to see why Roconahu don’t see much in this set.

Rool would have you believe Alucard is the best offensive set we have. Hahahhaahahhaha. . .Bahahahhaahahahha. . .BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Really, stop pushing me over the edge alongside you with your insanity, Rool. It has generic standards which are fast and thus automatically “flow” into a generic combo based playstyle (The most he has for “spacing” is his turning lag gimmick). That might’ve worked as an excuse for some very very very poor flow, but then his specials come into the picture. and are just irrelevant to godd*mn everything and insanely gimmicky. Versatality is now an excuse to have no legitimate playstyle. Seeing Sandshrew’s “playstyle” of hiding is contained in a single move while the rest of his set are generic attacks (Fast ones, like Alucard), Sandshrew could very easily be re-written to appear “versatile” by this pathetic definition.

8: SHEEP MAN

Sheep Man’s a rarity in ammo bank mechanics, the main part of what’s so interesting about him is how he builds up the ammo in his bank rather then how he spends it. Zapping himself with his various clouds is a much more interesting way then just using some standard move that gives Sheep Man some lag in exchange for more ammo, and Sheep Man can have all these complicated set-ups where the clouds keep zapping each other to keep them refilled. Sheep Man also has many interactions with his clouds such as hiding inside of them and moving them around and what-not, as it’s not like how Sheep Man fully uses the ammo in his bank isn’t a highlight either – that KO method definitely demands some respect.

This is also an example of how to CORRECTLY do a controversial writing style, unlike one that completely and utterly devours the entire moveset and everything in it like with Madeleine, where we’re forced to sit through unnecessary babbling that constantly interrupts our envisioning of the set. If I wanted to have a chat with you, Meadow, I’d be inviting you to the chat, not reading your movesets.

7: SUBARU

The above picture was Subaru in a bikini, not porno, you pervs.

While Arbok is certainly more blatantly offensive, it can’t be denied that how Subaru goes about it is even more interesting what with her mass momentum and wing road, and she was the one who made us realize that we were indeed in dire lack of offensive characters that weren’t horrendously generic ones that could be seen in real fighting games. Rather then absolutely blatant pressure, though, Subaru still needs some slight set-up like the many defensive characters. Considering she does it as she’s approaching and how fast she approaches though. . .Yeah. Dingodile instantly sets up? Subaru does it as she’s goddamn approaching. Jesus Christ.

Don’t be fooled by this terrible set! Mario and Luigi’s combos are clearly new and innovative and a revolution in offensive characters! Seriously, though, how they go about the comboing is interesting what with the two desynched characters, but the more flashy stuff comes off as quite gimmicky and irrelevant to the trained eye.

6: SANDSLASH

A shame this one was left in the dust. A bloody shame. While Sandslash is somewhat of a run of the mill trap character, he has one very very important thing that sets him apart from all the others – he can cover the stage in a sandstorm, making his traps invisible. He can also become invisible himself in the sandstorm, and any attacks that don’t directly contribute to trapping can be attributed to “ninja striking” foes as he comes out of this invisibility. Sandslash can also play whack-a-mole with the foe in various holes, which can be very disorienting when they have no idea where he’s gonna pop up next. There’s a lot of potential with this guy.

Oh, clearly Sandshrew is Sandslash’s equal! Generic attacks no playstyle whatsoever zero detail ftw! Rool, you proposal of wanting Sandshrew to evolve into Sandslash caterpie style is the worst idea I’ve ever heard in all of my MYMing. How DARE you even CONSIDER involving that ABOMINATION with this MASTERPIECE. Much less, you want to involve it in a way that resembles the HIDEOUS caterpie. Good GOD.

Let’s kick it up a notch and attack yet another set, shall we? Sandslash is easily the most intriguing MYM character to play in CTF (Outside Spy, of course, whom was specifically designed for the bloody thing) what with his ability to hide allied traps as well as his own. He can even go on the offensive by using his sandstorm to mask him as he goes into the foe’s base. But no, clearly the generic trap character Badman is among the most intruiging CTF characters! He can’t conquer the map – that was just leftover Junahu admitted he forgot to remove because he originally planned Badman to function differently. The only difference between Badman and regular trap characters in CTF is that he’s booted outside the base due to the others not wanting his minions to interfere. Obviously Badman doesn’t work in real Brawl either. . .But oh wait! Badman clearly works in 50 stock matches! Good for you, Badman. What trap character that keeps his traps around when he loses a stock DOESN’T dominate 50 stock matches? Badman is a very interesting set, for certain, but he has no mode to play in, at least no mode where he stands out from anyone else to warrant his learning curve.

5: SUPER MACHO MAN

I hardly need to tell you what’s good about Macho Man after all this time, as I’ve been the main one praising it for a considerable time. I just made an ad for the set a couple pages back. Look there.

. . .

Seeing you somehow don’t find Arbok’s feasibility feasible enough, Macho Man is even more insanely feasible while still being insanely unique and flowing in playstyle. Rather then grabbing shields, Macho Man breaks them, the cornerstone of his playstyle. Rather then hitting the background to hit dodging foes, Macho Man’s hitboxes simply linger on to force foes to shield instead of dodging. The greatness of the set is it’s amazing simplicity while still living up to all the ridiculously high standards of the MYM sets we know and love. This is –the- set we need to put in Sakurai’s greedy evil little hands.

Clearly the Punch Out set of the year is Aran Ryan, not this POS! So says Rool. Okay, so Aran Ryan has very little playstyle. That’s not an option. He doesn’t claim to be versatile, that’s out. It’s written by Kupa, so it obviously can’t hypnotize Rool with “good” writing. It’s not even character oriented! That doesn’t leave you with much of any excuse to like it, Rool. Oh wait, it just dawned on me. You love characters with no clear playstyle that have blatantly generic moves. That’s a viable playstyle to you. Kay. I’ll be sure to include a Roonahu version of my next set like with Huff’s Kapatultar version.

4: DR. STRANGELOVE

Seeing Rool loves character oriented movesets so much and has so much bias for the series, he should definitely be a fan of this set. It captures the essence of the cold war while also providing a stupidly unique playstyle concept in that he has a bomb that neither he nor the foe wants to go off. Why should Strangelove plant it, then? For the psychological threat, of course! The bomb can be deadly without ever going off as it allows Strangelove to herd foes exactly where he wants them. Beyond that, there’s plenty else to love in the set what with the chain reactions of traps (Good lord, how is this the only set that’s looked into the concept) and mindgames abounding everywhere.

Remember how I said Badman is the bum who’s kicked out of the base due to his traps destroying everyone else’s? Well, Strangelove is the productive bum who blows up an entire godd*mn screen by detonating his doomsday device on anybody that comes through, killing everybody in the camera zone. THAT’S showing you how it’s done.

But clearly Strangelove’s un-smashness makes him unplayable along with that steep learning curve! Good god, un-smashness is not the problem, in-smashness is. I don’t know why you’d ever want to make a moveset feasible to be implemented in the horrendous game that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Un-smashness is a plus. Of course, if you can make a GOOD moveset that can somehow fit within Brawl’s INSANE constraints, more power to you, but most of the time we end up getting, y’know, Madeleine.

3: ROCKET GRUNT

Rool’s a genius who lacks common sense. When he actually puts his intelligence to use to make actually good sets instead of fapping to a moveset I could’ve made in under an hour (From a gameplay stand-point – because this is clearly a contest to see who can apologize the most times in a moveset), we get this. A Pokemon Trainer with 3 Pokemon that actually all work together. This is how to –correctly- do versatility, as rather then just a bunch of completely randomly scattered moves to counter everything like with Alucard Rool has many methods for accomplish some very succinct playstyles. It never comes off as forced either what with 3 whole movesets to work with, and these various playstyle”s” are all great stuff that’s well worth the read. However; Rool’s a blatant hypocrite about demanding people to be “character-oriented” MYMers with that blatantly OOC Houndour. . .

Don’t be fooled! Kamek’s insanely predictable frail minions should easily sway your vote! No? How about how the movesets of caterpie and Elves that were entirely devoured just for the sake of organization? Again, moveset making contest, not a gift card making one, Rool.

2: DOPPELORI

Remember my original comment for this set and how blatantly negative it was? I really wanted to hate this set to continue to invalidate Junahu’s wonky opinions, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. Doppelori’s revolution in making Final Smashes relevant again is well worth a read for alone, but as Rool pointed out Junahu could’ve just made Doppelori an underpowered character who relies on her Final Smash. Seems like the simple thing to do, yes? The route Junahu took is infinitely more interesting by having Doppelori’s generated Smash Balls be a burden that are fodder for the opponent to steal from her. So what’s she do? Rush the foe down to prevent as few smash balls as generating as possible. Doppelori’s motive for being offensive isn’t simply being offensive, it’s a race against time. And even then, Doppelori is. . .A pressure based ranged character. She does all her offensive tactics as she’s approaching, but is boned at close range. Rather then retreating, Doppelori repels her foes so she can approach them again! There’s just way too much to love here, and this set more or less guarantees Junahu’s victory. . .Much less with me tackling Badman and Alucard into the ground to minimize its’ vote split.

Junahu’s opinions aren’t dartboard. I’ve been spending the entirety of this MYM figuring him and Rool out, and they juts simply like generic movesets with no playstyle for no apparent reason, and I will never ever stop tearing them apart limb for limb because of it.

1: VIDEOMAN.EXE

WHY HASN’T THIS CAUGHT ON MORE?!? Good god, this set’s concept is so brilliant and it’s so flowing I don’t know what to say. It’s too good to put into words, really. This is what happens when DM stops worrying about feasibly trying to implement his movesets into a terrible terrible game with laughable restrictions and goes crazy with his button inputs. It’s flaws? It’s clearly not character oriented! God, will you stop expecting us to make characters with zero character character oriented? That’s apparently the only difference between Huff and Golem that’s big enough to be Super Vote to Weak Vote. Feasibility/Learning Curve? Videoman is certainly leagues more feasible then other sets like Strangelove and Lucy which you **** over, Rool.

If you need further prove of Rool’s constant teetering over the edge of insanity, he can’t decide whether to f*cking super vote Lunge or to zero vote him. His opinion on movesets depends entirely on his mood and is very inconsistent and undefined. What he likes in movesets contradicts so much that it shouldn’t be possible to like both at the same time. I feel outraged to have my movesets on that top 10 placed anywhere those ABOMINATINOS.

This is why I want to become a game designer, so feasibility is thrown out the motherf*cking window and I can stop designing movesets for a bad game. That, and organization no longer exists either. All those apologies on Madeleine which you somehow find attractive and secretly fap to don’t show up in-game, Rool.

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
12:00 MAN

VideoMan.exe is a fantasmic set. While he is unsmash, MORE THAN VALOZARG (d), he still is a unique and fun moveset. The filming/replaying/editing mechanic is not only creative, but executed very well. Personally, my favorite move is Limelight. Great set Meanie!

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Not gonna bother with Links, since mine have been done already

3. Dr. Strangelove

Strangelove epitomized the Cold War in moveset form. It took on the form of a complex system moves, but that too is reflective of the War itself. Plus i had to scrap my bomb-based set :p

2. VideoMan.EXE.

Feel kind of lame posting this immediately after someone else, so I'll keep it short. As someone who wants to go into video editing, this is one of my favorite sets. It offers the possibility of a complete monster, or a fumbling fool. Much like a movie's quality can be based entirely on editing, winning is based on this principle as well.

1. Rocket Grunt

One pf the most in character pokesets posted. A finally balanced version of the "trainer" archetype. They must use each other to do well, and this is simply marvelously done.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Ok, I'll give advertising a go here....(In no particular order)

HUFF N PUFF
I feel this set was also overlooked by many. It characterized Huff n Puff perfectly. I give you a large thunbs-up for bringing out a Paper Mario character so well, Master Warlord!

KING BOO
I thought this was another great characterization here. This moveset impressed me because it was very creative. Unique moves and specials help make King Boo a worthwile moveset. Check it out if you haven't yet...

WALLMASTER
Why not feature the first MYM of MYM7? This set intrigued me at first read. Great organization and characterization sure helped this moveset easy and fun to read. A very impressive start to MYM7, I do say...

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Spy

The Spy is a moveset unlike any other we've ever seen. It's a moveset that is blantantly not designed for Brawl, and only happens to fit the game we know in button inputs only. He exists in a purely theoretical metagame, and is his own anti-metagame creation.

He does what the Spy does in Team Fortress 2, possibly even better than the Spy can himself! He doesn't just run around disguised as an enemy, he systematically removes the opponent from the fight and impersonates them himself, all the while sabotaging enemy operations and attempting to steal the flag.

Now, the only reason you can't love this set is because it's trash in Brawl. He simply cannot exist in Brawl, all his goals and plans simply don't work in this game. It's a legitimate complaint even, that he's unplayable in Brawl.

The reason I consider him not just a vote, but a strong Super Vote option though is because at the end, Make Your Move doesn't exist for the creation of brawl movesets, but ideas and characters and concepts, things that are exciting and new to do. Spy breaks new ground that we've never thought of before, and proves just how far ahead MW has come with his ideas; practically every set of his these days is doing nearly unheard of stuff.

When you judge the Spy in the context of Brawl, he's disappointing, but if you judge him from the context he was designed for, it's absolutely brilliant. Even if you can't bring yourself to like it, you owe it to yourself to see just what innovation MW had with his CTF game style and the metagame he beautifully destroys with his Spy.

Hunter J

While Team Rocket Grunt may have perfected the concept of multiple Pokemon at once, Hunter J was the first moveset to do so. And unlike Grunt, who has to control them still one at a time, J controls four characters at the same time in a feasible manner.

There are move interactions aplenty as well, camping from above with Salamence and holding the foe still with Drapion and Ariados, all the while preparing to finish the foe off with J's petrification cannon. It's wonderfully in character, practically cutting her fighting style from the anime and pasting it back into the confines of Brawl. She also has what is one of the most fun Final Smashes I've ever seen, a miniature story mode self-contained into her moveset.

Now, Hunter J suffers from being overpowered. Incredibly overpowered in fact, but her incredible power is more or less the result of some high damage and KO percents, while the base moveset itself is actually balanced, despite the very heavy concept of four characters at once.

It may be a Katapultar moveset, but I'm saying that if you missed out on this piece of work, it deserves a glance. It has it's flaws, but it was in no way a moveset worth skipping out on, and is worth a weak vote at the very least.

Inspector Lunge

Inspector Lunge is a whole bunch of crazy ideas. I was lost several times in the absolute sea of moves and strategies that came in waves from Lunge. From his brilliant handcuff/grab mechanic to his utterly unprecedented KO style, Lunge was almost doomed to failure from the start with all of it's crazy ideas.

But Lunge works. He doesn't just work though, he works well. MW took the most ridiculous idea to get KOs and made every move flow into it through judicious hammering. It's not the smoothest, most flowing way it's ever been done, but Lunge completely and totally works. And that's what impresses me about the moveset so much.

Lunge isn't the kind of set I'd like to see a lot of, but Lunge does something crazy so well that it's very hard for me not to like it. The only real complaint I can have with it is the move copying ability that can remove the need for the KO mechanic, but even that is more or less a minor quibble, seeing as it, like everything else, was necessary for the playstyle. An excellent job here from MW.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Because I'm terrible at resisting bait and just loooove arguing with Warlord...

Oh, before I dive into all the nasty stuff, thanks for the advertisement, agi. :bee:

Mogenar almost made Rool’s top 10? Pah! Rool’s weak voting him. Seems we have another Thief on our hands. Don’t let something we’ll all regret happen twice, people, because clearly Madeleine’s enthralling animations (Lol fireproof umbrella) are so much more character oriented then Mogenar and her playstyle so much more unique and flowing then Mogenar’s could ever be. What a joke.
Where to even begin, man? My opinion on Mogenar is not set in stone; you know, we can't ALL read a set and instantly make a judgement call on it that we never ever let go of no matter what. I actually reread sets I'm foggy on. Mogenar's oscillating at the moment, in transit, I suppose you could say.

Rool would have you believe Alucard is the best offensive set we have. Hahahhaahahhaha. . .Bahahahhaahahahha. . .BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Really, stop pushing me over the edge alongside you with your insanity, Rool. It has generic standards which are fast and thus automatically “flow” into a generic combo based playstyle (The most he has for “spacing” is his turning lag gimmick). That might’ve worked as an excuse for some very very very poor flow, but then his specials come into the picture. and are just irrelevant to godd*mn everything and insanely gimmicky. Versatality is now an excuse to have no legitimate playstyle. Seeing Sandshrew’s “playstyle” of hiding is contained in a single move while the rest of his set are generic attacks (Fast ones, like Alucard), Sandshrew could very easily be re-written to appear “versatile” by this pathetic definition.
Oh, I never said Alucard was entirely an aggressive set. Didn't say that. If generic standards AUTOMATICALLY flow, by my definition, why don't I like Sandshrew? Long-range attacks tend to lend to spacing, that's what spacing is. Versatility is not an excuse for anything, although it can be a central focus of a moveset, actively being capable of replying to anything.

And you're still, as you've always been, dodging my main point. I figure Alucard would be fun to play. Do you disagree with this, somehow? I'd say something like "who decided our definition of playstyle was the be-all and end-all of what is good in a moveset?", but I already know the answer.

This is also an example of how to CORRECTLY do a controversial writing style, unlike one that completely and utterly devours the entire moveset and everything in it like with Madeleine, where we’re forced to sit through unnecessary babbling that constantly interrupts our envisioning of the set. If I wanted to have a chat with you, Meadow, I’d be inviting you to the chat, not reading your movesets.
How malicious. It interrupts your envisaging? Oh, dear god. We just can't have that. Can't have friendliness or "fun".

Don’t be fooled by this terrible set! Mario and Luigi’s combos are clearly new and innovative and a revolution in offensive characters! Seriously, though, how they go about the comboing is interesting what with the two desynched characters, but the more flashy stuff comes off as quite gimmicky and irrelevant to the trained eye.
Oh, come on; I never even said any of that (hell, I LIKE Subaru). The "more flashy stuff" is not the reason I love the set, although I don't feel it detracts actively.

Oh, clearly Sandshrew is Sandslash’s equal! Generic attacks no playstyle whatsoever zero detail ftw! Rool, you proposal of wanting Sandshrew to evolve into Sandslash caterpie style is the worst idea I’ve ever heard in all of my MYMing. How DARE you even CONSIDER involving that ABOMINATION with this MASTERPIECE. Much less, you want to involve it in a way that resembles the HIDEOUS caterpie. Good GOD.
]

Dude, I blatantly and explicitly said Sandslash was the better set. My "proposal" was something I threw out there before even reading Sandslash, and frankly, it'd make Sandshrew feel a lot more complete. If you actually even replied to my point instead of throwing around capitalized negatives, maybe we'd be getting somewhere, but, god forbid, that would require something OTHER than personal attacks and pig-headedness. I swear, sometimes arguing with you is like smashing your head into a brick wall.

Let’s kick it up a notch and attack yet another set, shall we? Sandslash is easily the most intriguing MYM character to play in CTF (Outside Spy, of course, whom was specifically designed for the bloody thing) what with his ability to hide allied traps as well as his own. He can even go on the offensive by using his sandstorm to mask him as he goes into the foe’s base. But no, clearly the generic trap character Badman is among the most intruiging CTF characters! He can’t conquer the map – that was just leftover Junahu admitted he forgot to remove because he originally planned Badman to function differently. The only difference between Badman and regular trap characters in CTF is that he’s booted outside the base due to the others not wanting his minions to interfere. Obviously Badman doesn’t work in real Brawl either. . .But oh wait! Badman clearly works in 50 stock matches! Good for you, Badman. What trap character that keeps his traps around when he loses a stock DOESN’T dominate 50 stock matches? Badman is a very interesting set, for certain, but he has no mode to play in, at least no mode where he stands out from anyone else to warrant his learning curve.
Just for the record, this part was not addressed at me.

Clearly the Punch Out set of the year is Aran Ryan, not this POS! So says Rool. Okay, so Aran Ryan has very little playstyle. That’s not an option. He doesn’t claim to be versatile, that’s out. It’s written by Kupa, so it obviously can’t hypnotize Rool with “good” writing. It’s not even character oriented! That doesn’t leave you with much of any excuse to like it, Rool. Oh wait, it just dawned on me. You love characters with no clear playstyle that have blatantly generic moves. That’s a viable playstyle to you. Kay. I’ll be sure to include a Roonahu version of my next set like with Huff’s Kapatultar version.
Dude, I switched out Aran Ryan for Macho Man in my votes soon after our talks yesterday; I wasn't set on it, I took a look back at both sets and made the more objective call. Characters with no clear playstyle with blatantly generic moves... riiiight. Huff N Puff and Harbinger totally fit the bill.

But clearly Strangelove’s un-smashness makes him unplayable along with that steep learning curve! Good god, un-smashness is not the problem, in-smashness is. I don’t know why you’d ever want to make a moveset feasible to be implemented in the horrendous game that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Un-smashness is a plus. Of course, if you can make a GOOD moveset that can somehow fit within Brawl’s INSANE constraints, more power to you, but most of the time we end up getting, y’know, Madeleine.
Okay, I'm just going to emphasize this:

Good god, un-smashness is not the problem, in-smashness is. I don’t know why you’d ever want to make a moveset feasible to be implemented in the horrendous game that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Un-smashness is a plus.
Good god, un-smashness is not the problem, in-smashness is. I don’t know why you’d ever want to make a moveset feasible to be implemented in the horrendous game that is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Un-smashness is a plus.
...How can I possibly ever agree with you when you're trying to create a better game than Brawl (which I'm not saying is any great feat)? I'm not a game designer. When I read a set, I'm not looking for something that creates a new bloody game. Comments like this are exactly the reason I'm not making sets any more. You're the enabler here.

Rool’s a genius who lacks common sense. When he actually puts his intelligence to use to make actually good sets instead of fapping to a moveset I could’ve made in under an hour (From a gameplay stand-point – because this is clearly a contest to see who can apologize the most times in a moveset), we get this. A Pokemon Trainer with 3 Pokemon that actually all work together. This is how to –correctly- do versatility, as rather then just a bunch of completely randomly scattered moves to counter everything like with Alucard Rool has many methods for accomplish some very succinct playstyles. It never comes off as forced either what with 3 whole movesets to work with, and these various playstyle”s” are all great stuff that’s well worth the read. However; Rool’s a blatant hypocrite about demanding people to be “character-oriented” MYMers with that blatantly OOC Houndour. . .
Christ, when have I ever demanded ANYBODY be character-oriented? I mean, obviously I prefer sets that are implementations to characters (although most of MYM is made up of game designers like yourself and therefore disagree with me), but that's not any sort of... you know, my-way-or-the-highway thing!

The rest is pretty much the only part of your whole top ten that I actually enjoyed reading. How nice of you to grant me this one bright spot in this nasty venom-spewing spiel of yours.

Don’t be fooled! Kamek’s insanely predictable frail minions should easily sway your vote! No? How about how the movesets of caterpie and Elves that were entirely devoured just for the sake of organization? Again, moveset making contest, not a gift card making one, Rool.
Kamek again? Balance quibble again? Geez, man, I go back and write that the minions have 20 more health and a few more attacks and you'd love them, is that what you're saying? And you say my opinions on sets can be random.

caterpie is not about organization, just like Elves is not a bloody serious entry. Once again, there's that crazy "fun" idea, but we wouldn't want to hear of any of that? Ignoring that everybody seemed to enjoy the Elves until you posted, of course.

Junahu’s opinions aren’t dartboard. I’ve been spending the entirety of this MYM figuring him and Rool out, and they juts simply like generic movesets with no playstyle for no apparent reason, and I will never ever stop tearing them apart limb for limb because of it.
I've been in MYM for well over a year. I've read hundreds of sets. If, at this point, I've stopped being enamoured every time someone has a few clever ideas, why is that so terrible? I prefer to see a set I can actually, you know, imagine using. Not just in Brawl, but using. Which brings me to...

This is what happens when DM stops worrying about feasibly trying to implement his movesets into a terrible terrible game with laughable restrictions and goes crazy with his button inputs. It’s flaws? It’s clearly not character oriented! God, will you stop expecting us to make characters with zero character character oriented? That’s apparently the only difference between Huff and Golem that’s big enough to be Super Vote to Weak Vote. Feasibility/Learning Curve? Videoman is certainly leagues more feasible then other sets like Strangelove and Lucy which you **** over, Rool.
Sorry, what was that about "stopped worrying about feasibility" and "leagues more feasible"? Dude, you're like a parrot squawking back the same words without ever really getting what they mean. Playing VideoMan would take countless hours of practice. Playing VideoMan well is nigh impossible. He's a fun theoretical exercise, and the game designer in you "jizzes" over that.

I like the concept of Huff N. Puff more than the concept of Golem. I liked reading Huff N. Puff more than reading Golem. I'd prefer using Huff N. Puff to using Golem. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO GRASP?

If you need further prove of Rool’s constant teetering over the edge of insanity, he can’t decide whether to f*cking super vote Lunge or to zero vote him. His opinion on movesets depends entirely on his mood and is very inconsistent and undefined. What he likes in movesets contradicts so much that it shouldn’t be possible to like both at the same time. I feel outraged to have my movesets on that top 10 placed anywhere those ABOMINATINOS.
Lunge is the only set I'm unsure of so wildly - again, I actually reread sets, and reevaluate my opinions of them. It shouldn't be possible to like both at the same time? I guess I must be lying then, if you figure it shouldn't be possible. Couldn't be that I have an open mind and can appreciate more than one thing in different sets.

This is why I want to become a game designer, so feasibility is thrown out the motherf*cking window and I can stop designing movesets for a bad game. That, and organization no longer exists either. All those apologies on Madeleine which you somehow find attractive and secretly fap to don’t show up in-game, Rool.
But you know what? We're not in-game. We're not implementing these sets. At the end of the day, this is a moveset contest, and as much as it may pain you that we're not seeing the pure genius of your ideas unfettered by pointless tidbits like "explanation", that's not what we're here doing. How you present your ideas does matter, and frankly I'm here to read sets that I

A) Can see in Brawl
B) Can see enjoying in Brawl
C) Enjoy as sets.

Is that really so bad?

What a bunch of cheap shots made specifically to make me sound like the antichrist. Warlord, if everyone agrees with you, we have MYM 4. Isn't this better? And another thing - stop taking it so damn seriously, for the love of god. You approach MYM like a fight to the death and once in a while I think you should sit back, take a deep breath, and calm down. I can vaguely see what Daddy meant when he said you just make everything personal instead of actually debating - you didn't address anything I specifically said in my top ten, dude! I mean, what the hell?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
MORTON KOOPA JR

By MasterWarlord

Whee, another Koopaling Moveset in MYM (we still need 5 more (wary)), AND it's a Warlordian heavyweight male antagonist. Anyways, Morton manages to be surprisingly creative by using the only real thing he has to his name; giant pilllars to walk on. He has a lot of fun uses for his pillars such as richocheting off of them and climbing up them. Warlord also made use of Morton's claws and shell to great effect, turning what you think would be a Bowser Clone into a totally original moveset.

Still not enough for you? Well, how about the fact that Morton has one of the "deepest" playtstyles in MYM! Morton is capable of switching between offensive and defensive strategies based on how his opponent likes to play, ensuring that Morton is never shut out by his opponent. But this isn't some basic "lol can do everything!" moveset; Morton swaps between the 2 styles with his pillars and down-special, essentially turning him into a 2-in-1 character without actually having 2 movesets. By having the properties of Morton's moves change with these specials, Warlord can focus on making interesting attacks while ensuring he can still achieve his goal of versatility.

Go give Morton a read if you haven't; He's a fine example of paying attention to balance, an excellent display of how to make an all-arounder character still creative, and a great addition to any voting list.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
SUPER MACHO MAN

SUPER! MACHO! MAAAAAAN!! THIS is the kind of moveset that is truly made for inclusion in Brawl.

The sunglasses may seem like a standard gimmick at first, but then they turn into a vital and fun part of the playstyle. Shield-breaking is a very satisfying thing, so building an entire playstyle around it is only logical. This moveset is also balanced, which is also important.

Most of all, Super Macho Man is fun to read. I can't emphasize that enough. A lot of it was funny, and very true to SMM's character. He's a flamboyant, arrogant show-off, which is reflected in the moveset.

Read this moveset. NOW.

It's the most macho moveset in this contest. Period.

ROXAS

Roxas, while not a masterpiece, is a very good effort. The menu accessing is a creative idea, the smash attacks are powerful but balanced at the same time, and the playstyle is nicely done. I'm surprised nobody's advertised this moveset yet. While it may not be the best one in MYM, it deserves at least a few votes.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Where to even begin, man? My opinion on Mogenar is not set in stone; you know, we can't ALL read a set and instantly make a judgement call on it that we never ever let go of no matter what. I actually reread sets I'm foggy on. Mogenar's oscillating at the moment, in transit, I suppose you could say[/
I wouldn’t know. I’m looking for something very specific in movesets while you’re looking for several different things that contradict each other.

Oh, I never said Alucard was entirely an aggressive set. Didn't say that. If generic standards AUTOMATICALLY flow, by my definition, why don't I like Sandshrew? Long-range attacks tend to lend to spacing, that's what spacing is. Versatility is not an excuse for anything, although it can be a central focus of a moveset, actively being capable of replying to anything.

And you're still, as you've always been, dodging my main point. I figure Alucard would be fun to play. Do you disagree with this, somehow? I'd say something like "who decided our definition of playstyle was the be-all and end-all of what is good in a moveset?", but I already know the answer.
You said Alucard was combos, which is the definition of offense. You see my point on Sandshrew?

If you find generic Brawl characters with MYM 4 specials fun to play, Alucard is fun to play. He doesn’t have much of anything that separates him from the rest of people in “ideal MYM Brawl”, and thus isn’t more particularly fun to play then any of the other similar sets.

How malicious. It interrupts your envisaging? Oh, dear god. We just can't have that. Can't have friendliness or "fun".
I’m not here to sit in front of a computer to read. I’m pretending that I’m actually going to, y’know, play as these movesets.

Oh, come on; I never even said any of that (hell, I LIKE Subaru). The "more flashy stuff" is not the reason I love the set, although I don't feel it detracts actively.
As I implied in that advertisement, I do not dislike Mario and Luigi that much. We are neutral here.

Dude, I blatantly and explicitly said Sandslash was the better set. My "proposal" was something I threw out there before even reading Sandslash, and frankly, it'd make Sandshrew feel a lot more complete. If you actually even replied to my point instead of throwing around capitalized negatives, maybe we'd be getting somewhere, but, god forbid, that would require something OTHER than personal attacks and pig-headedness. I swear, sometimes arguing with you is like smashing your head into a brick wall.
Maybe you should stop saying things that are just begging to be “mis-interpreted”? Like about Madeleine’s magical animations spitting in the face of creativity and playstyle. . .You’ve gotta stop giving me such good material to use. You really do.

Dude, I switched out Aran Ryan for Macho Man in my votes soon after our talks yesterday; I wasn't set on it, I took a look back at both sets and made the more objective call. Characters with no clear playstyle with blatantly generic moves... riiiight. Huff N Puff and Harbinger totally fit the bill.
How was I supposed to know that? With Madeleine and Alucard up there, Ryan’s presence wasn’t particularly surprising.

...How can I possibly ever agree with you when you're trying to create a better game than Brawl (which I'm not saying is any great feat)? I'm not a game designer. When I read a set, I'm not looking for something that creates a new bloody game. Comments like this are exactly the reason I'm not making sets any more. You're the enabler here.
How can I possibly ever agree with you when you’re looking for movesets to be designed for a terrible game?

Christ, when have I ever demanded ANYBODY be character-oriented? I mean, obviously I prefer sets that are implementations to characters (although most of MYM is made up of game designers like yourself and therefore disagree with me), but that's not any sort of... you know, my-way-or-the-highway thing!
Since I’ve been dissecting you and Junahu to find out what makes you tick? I’ve always been trying to figure out just what the hell I have to do to get your seal of approval beyond making 5 billion shots in the dark hoping one will hit.

caterpie is not about organization, just like Elves is not a bloody serious entry. Once again, there's that crazy "fun" idea, but we wouldn't want to hear of any of that? Ignoring that everybody seemed to enjoy the Elves until you posted, of course.
See, I’m over here making sets that we can play as, while you’re over there making sets we can look at. . .

Sorry, what was that about "stopped worrying about feasibility" and "leagues more feasible"? Dude, you're like a parrot squawking back the same words without ever really getting what they mean. Playing VideoMan would take countless hours of practice. Playing VideoMan well is nigh impossible. He's a fun theoretical exercise, and the game designer in you "jizzes" over that.
This is the one part of the top 10 where I’m in defensive mode if you hadn’t noticed, dismissing Videoman’s complaints. Obviously I don’t care about that, but for whatever reason, you do.

I like the concept of Huff N. Puff more than the concept of Golem. I liked reading Huff N. Puff more than reading Golem. I'd prefer using Huff N. Puff to using Golem. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO GRASP?
*You like Huff’n’Puff’s in-characterness more then Golem. You find Huff’n’Puff less difficult to read then Golem.

Lunge is the only set I'm unsure of so wildly - again, I actually reread sets, and reevaluate my opinions of them. It shouldn't be possible to like both at the same time? I guess I must be lying then, if you figure it shouldn't be possible. Couldn't be that I have an open mind and can appreciate more than one thing in different sets.
If you like some of the same sets that I like for the same reasons I like them, then I don’t see how you can possibly like sets that specifically go against everything that those good sets stand for.

But you know what? We're not in-game. We're not implementing these sets. At the end of the day, this is a moveset contest, and as much as it may pain you that we're not seeing the pure genius of your ideas unfettered by pointless tidbits like "explanation", that's not what we're here doing. How you present your ideas does matter, and frankly I'm here to read sets that I

A) Can see in Brawl
B) Can see enjoying in Brawl
C) Enjoy as sets.

Is that really so bad?
“Enjoy” is a completely subjective term open for debate. We can’t measure how much we all “enjoy” something.

Separation of moveset making and gift card making. Good day to you sir.

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
Eeeeeeeeeevil Koopa Wizard

WIIIIZIIIIIRDHEIMER!

Kamek's a good set to me. I enjoy it as a set. Yeah, I perfer Rool over Warlord. BUT ANYWAY, ONTO SETS. I love Kamek's interaction with his minions and the subtle nods to the Mario series and Yoshi series are great touches. Unlike everyone else, I LIKE Blooper's inclusion. The nods to the Mario Magikoopas were probably and you implemented them into the set flawlessly. Abeit proppy, Kamek is a great set in my opinion.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t know. I’m looking for something very specific in movesets while you’re looking for several different things that contradict each other.
I'm looking for several things that are not mutually exclusive. When I want to think about the possibilities, I read Harbinger. When I want to appreciate good, evocative work, I read Alucard.

You said Alucard was combos, which is the definition of offense. You see my point on Sandshrew?

If you find generic Brawl characters with MYM 4 specials fun to play, Alucard is fun to play. He doesn’t have much of anything that separates him from the rest of people in “ideal MYM Brawl”, and thus isn’t more particularly fun to play then any of the other similar sets.
No, I don't see your point on Sandshrew. Combos can be used for different ends - partially to prevent an opponent from mounting their own offense for an extended period of time, which is partially what Alucard uses it for. Partially.

And apparently your definition of fun is different from mine - although, judging from Lunge, mine seems quite a bit more accurate.

I’m not here to sit in front of a computer to read. I’m pretending that I’m actually going to, y’know, play as these movesets.
How can you possibly be doing that when you like sets that are so far removed from anything ANYBODY could actually, y'know, play? If you can pretend you're actually playing as VideoMan.EXE and not failing horribly, I commend you. And am sort of afraid of you.

As I implied in that advertisement, I do not dislike Mario and Luigi that much. We are neutral here.
Oh, right. I'd forgotten. You were just looking for filler to pad your rant with, and remembered that, since I also liked the set in question, your options were fairly few.

Maybe you should stop saying things that are just begging to be “mis-interpreted”? Like about Madeleine’s magical animations spitting in the face of creativity and playstyle. . .You’ve gotta stop giving me such good material to use. You really do.
When I post in MYM, I don't expect every word I say to be analyzed ad nauseum, or to be seized if the irony doesn't get across quite as clearly as I meant it to. See, most people let things like that go if the other party clarifies.

How was I supposed to know that? With Madeleine and Alucard up there, Ryan’s presence wasn’t particularly surprising.
Uh, because I said it to you right after you asked me why I'd made that choice? "You may be right, I'll consider switching them." Not ringing a bell? Selective memory, I'm telling you.

How can I possibly ever agree with you when you’re looking for movesets to be designed for a terrible game?
Uh... you go right ahead and make a new contest for designing games. More power to you. This is MYM. This is about Brawl. Have you completely lost it, man?

Since I’ve been dissecting you and Junahu to find out what makes you tick? I’ve always been trying to figure out just what the hell I have to do to get your seal of approval beyond making 5 billion shots in the dark hoping one will hit.
Dude, neither Lucy nor Count are character-driven and I love them both. I like almost all of your sets on one level or another, and always SAY SO. What's wrong with that? There is no science to this thing; I'm not reducing it to a science. Sometimes a set's idea grips me more than another's, and since most sets are more or less on the same level of quality, it's just a matter of getting that right idea. Sorry to break it to you.

See, I’m over here making sets that we can play as, while you’re over there making sets we can look at. . .
We can't play as caterpie? Just because I didn't list some made-up-on-the-spot value for how many SECONDS this or that lasts, the set's only good for looking at? Once again, because it doesn't seem to be getting through, Elves WAS meant to be looked at and enjoyed. Notice how I've never defended it against you? I don't expect it to be taken seriously as an entry (although there's totally a set in there, and I think it'd be pretty respected if I had posted it without the veiled presentation).

This is the one part of the top 10 where I’m in defensive mode if you hadn’t noticed, dismissing Videoman’s complaints. Obviously I don’t care about that, but for whatever reason, you do.
Fair enough, but if you're defending, at least do it so it makes some sense. It's like how Sandshrew's playstyle calls him both complex and not complex at all.

*You like Huff’n’Puff’s in-characterness more then Golem. You find Huff’n’Puff less difficult to read then Golem.
Remaking the stage doesn't intrigue me as much as the many ways Huff N. Puff toys around with his summons. That's not a matter of in-character. And they're both bloody killer to read.

If you like some of the same sets that I like for the same reasons I like them, then I don’t see how you can possibly like sets that specifically go against everything that those good sets stand for.
Guess we like 'em for different reasons, then. Or maybe we don't and I just don't consider them to "stand for" anything. "Stand for" is a completely subjective term open for debate.

“Enjoy” is a completely subjective term open for debate. We can’t measure how much we all “enjoy” something.
Again, moveset making is not a science, just like moveset reading is not a science.

Separation of moveset making and gift card making. Good day to you sir.
The gift card analogy is weak.

Fun, Warlord. That's what this contest is about, remember? Remember a time when you liked sets because they sounded fun? Like Kawasaki, say? That was a very long time ago, before you had these rigid definitions of playstyle and creativity - and funnily enough, I still know how to make sets you like. I just wish I could also make you understand sets I like.

But anyway, what do I know? I'm just a monkey with a computer randomly hitting keys.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice

Joe Musashi, last ninja of the Oboro Clan, joins the brawl!

Joe is an interesting moveset. Chances are you don't really know too much about its creator, Kaiser6012, but his first moveset is definitely a good start. First off, it's fresh. I personally have never seen something written like this in such a calculated style. Everything you could possibly need to you is laid flat out in excruciating detail, with no-nonsense organization. It's actually quite fitting that the moveset is for a ninja-- everything feels so precise here, from Kaiser's grasp of character to succinctness in writing style and the like. It almost is enough to make one think Kaiser is a robot, but that's beside the point. What this moveset is about is not necessarily for the individual moves, or the total innovation. Nay, it seems a bit more like simply an accurate representation of whatever sort of concept this is for. So my vague descriptions aside, you really ought to give this a read; I don't think it's gotten quite the attention is deserves.

half_silver28

Smash Ace

First off, has Rider been forgotten? Practically half the sets in MYM have been advertised by now, yet Rider has gone unmentioned for months. I certainly hope she hasn’t be forgotten, since this is one of DM’s best sets (and that’s saying a lot). Rider can be seen as the spiritual successor to Sloth, due to her use of a expandable chain. Her moveset is mostly interconnected as well, giving her another factor in common with Sloth. The difference though is that Rider has a large nail on the end of her chain, which she uses to latch onto foes and do all sorts of things with them: fling them around, chaingrab them or try for a Ridercide. A much more aggressive playstyle springs from this. And I haven’t even mentioned Rider’s unique organization. The moves are presented out of order, an approach that can only work with a deeply interconnected set like Rider. I know some people hate it, but seriously. This isn’t a difficult set to read (twitch). Rider is actually a very deep and enjoyable set that’s very much worth your vote.

So I don’t know how to put this without just blatantly ripping off MT’s Sho ad. But its not ripping off if its actually what I think, right? Right?! (wary). Anyhow, Ocon’s been improving constantly since he first arrived in MYM4, and Sho is without a doubt his best effort to date, imo. He’s a summons character who can actually fight on his own, he doesn’t have to completely rely on his summons. Of course he’s better off with them, since his summons (referred to as noise) will basically fly or “Zone Jump” to his side and participate in many of Sho’s attacks. Sho does have a few attacks that micromanage his noise, but you don’t HAVE to use them. It doesn’t take long to summon more noise (especially the light variety). This may seem to be a fairly complex set at first, but it really isn’t; Sho could actually fit quite seamlessly into Brawl and doesn’t have the impossible learning curve of some other MYM sets. Just create a Noise Refinery Sigil (the thing that summons noise), summon noise and you’re all set. The interactions are easily learnable after playing for a little while. This is an Ocon set, so the organization is sleek and sexy. And did I mention that Sho himself is an awesome character? (h). This set is just flat-out epic and deserves a vote from you, if not a super vote.

I’ll post my last ad tomorrow, I’m tired now. :p

Katapultar

Smash Lord
You're quite like me Plorf. We both make advertisements for underappreciated sets. You're doing a great job. King Boo and Joe = cool.

My vote list is very very very very very small, so when the time comes, you'll ALL see.

Voting week will be fun because we can all talk about the sets we want to make in MYM8. That's TOMMOROW isn't it? Have fun everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom