• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Introduction to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Yo all, being the smart individuals you all are you have by now made your way to this brand spanking new forum.

I just wanted to give you a quick run down of whats its all about, our hopes for it, and so on. Given the first event of the season (Orlando) is not for a couple weeks yet there is going to be less content than we will have post event. So it is a bit of a work in progress.

That said, we hope this can provide a place for everyone to talk about as events unfold, discuss varies things about the Pro Circuit, get your questions answers, follow season info, and check out the occasional pro interview.

We have high hopes for the circuit, and looking towards it being an awesome experience for players, spectators, those following along at home, and a great thing for the entire smash community.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
When deciding the rule set, did you contact any Smash players for approval of your rule setting?
Yea, we all read through about 50 pages of backroom discussion threads, brought some key TOs on conference calls, etc

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This would be better as a sub forum in the Tournament listings. Kind of like how the Smash workshop in a sub forum in General Brawl.

Just saying =/

Only saying this because it confused the hell out of me. Ruined the order of the front page I'm so used to :mad:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yea, we all read through about 50 pages of backroom discussion threads, brought some key TOs on conference calls, etc
Backroom discussion doesn't = talking to brawlers especially if you consider that some of the members in the bBR don't play brawl others aren't active. Also I would like to know which key TO's you talked with. The stage list and rule set for MLG does not show case that actually current metagame of brawl nor does allow excess to the entire field especially when you consider the amount of top players who got screwed because you guys decided to ban Wireless controllers. It's just perplexing too say the least.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Yeah, unless it's an SBR-exclusive tourney, why should they have so much control over the stages? If this is supposed to be a national community-wide circuit, why let such a small group of individuals, some of which will not even attend, make the rules we have to play by?

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Backroom discussion doesn't = talking to brawlers especially if you consider that some of the members in the bBR don't play brawl others aren't active. Also I would like to know which key TO's you talked with. The stage list and rule set for MLG does not show case that actually current metagame of brawl nor does allow excess to the entire field especially when you consider the amount of top players who got screwed because you guys decided to ban Wireless controllers. It's just perplexing too say the least.
Not sure where you get your info from, but in me being in the backroom for the last 7 years ive never seen membership as strict as it is now. Theres no one in there that does not play the game.

As for the rest of ur post wireless is regrettable and we are talking over options. And then theres a bunch of stuff that isnt linguistically sound

I assume Overswarm had a long talk about stages :laugh:
Haha, yea, OS can be quite vocal

Yeah, unless it's an SBR-exclusive tourney, why should they have so much control over the stages? If this is supposed to be a national community-wide circuit, why let such a small group of individuals, some of which will not even attend, make the rules we have to play by?
They did not make the rules. In fact some of them dont even agree with everything. However, its some of the top players, top TOs, most educated brawl players out there, and they all got to voice their opinions which were considered.

But anyway, a lot of fun stuff. Rule discussion should go in, well, the rule discussion topic though

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, trust me, the SBR didn't make the rules.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Not sure where you get your info from, but in me being in the backroom for the last 7 years ive never seen membership as strict as it is now. Theres no one in there that does not play the game.

As for the rest of ur post wireless is regrettable and we are talking over options. And then theres a bunch of stuff that isnt linguistically sound

Haha, yea, OS can be quite vocal

They did not make the rules. In fact some of them dont even agree with everything. However, its some of the top players, top TOs, most educated brawl players out there, and they all got to voice their opinions which were considered.

But anyway, a lot of fun stuff. Rule discussion should go in, well, the rule discussion topic though
adum does not play this game.

My point is how can "major league gaming" consider it's self the pro circut of brawl and then have rules which prevents everyone from playing? I also do not understand the reasoning behind banning the wireless controllers and I would like to know which TO's you talked to. Also I don't see how reading pages of discussion from the BBR is a way of getting a feel of brawl's metagame. Did you bother to talk to any of the top players in the game? Like it seems to me as if the brawl community is getting the royal shaft and has stages and ruleset which is not currently indicative of brawls current metagame. I mean seriously 9 starterS?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Correct Not correct, apparently, and he's also smarter than all of us combined. Even if he didn't, I think he'd get a bye.

Also, LOL @ people not correctly reading announcements. They've ALREADY SAID that the reason wireless controllers / WiiChucks are banned is because of the number of bluetooth devices anticipated to be at the events; MLG is covering its *** before the events to make sure there are no wireless signal conflicts during a match.

It has nothing to do with the actual game / controller advantage / discrimination / other asinine bull****.

I'm sorry, but your grammar and spelling leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh and MLG is ruining Smashboards.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As JV has already said, they DID consult the BBR for help in building their ruleset. However, we did not, as Crashic put it "approve" anything, as this is MLG's event. As JV already said once more, there are some qualms with it. As you might have already imagined, intelligent as you all are, we in the back room also plan on competing, and a great deal of us would feel more comfortable with some modifications to the rules, but more on that in the appropriate topics. I actually just wanted to post to say the JV is one cool guy, and that MLG is most certainly not ruining smashboards.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
That said, we hope this can provide a place for everyone to talk about as events unfold, discuss varies things about the Pro Circuit, get your questions answers, follow season info, and check out the occasional pro interview.
But this isn't an important forum. Any of this could be put into a subset of Tournament Discussion, and yet it is the second highest Brawl forum on the site. The only reason this topic exists is because MLG owns this site. Why is effort being put into this when we could have one we actually want?

Also, no advertising.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Jesus, people are whining and complaining their ***** off.

Great job MLG, keep up the good work. I'm sure the minor issues with rules / stream will be corrected in the future, but even if they aren't, it's not even a big deal and it's still great to have Brawl on the circuit and I look forward to many more awesome tournaments in the future.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Obviously somebody was talking out of the wrong hole that day...

You obviously have no clue about my habits when it comes to this game, just because I play melee more doesn't mean that I don't play Brawl.

Seriously, THINK before you spew easily refutable BS.

Also, Jack doesn't think I play... that makes me sad.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
And as a I am rocking Easter bunny mode bonus whomever makes the best topic pro circuit topic now through the end of the month gets a free pass to the MLG event of their choice.
Heads up to all that we will be selecting a winner over the next couple days and they will receive a pm and the winner will by announced by Sunday May 7th.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Some feedback for MLG.

Right now it looks very unlikely that I will be able to go despite the tourney occuring right in my home town simply because the important event begins on Friday rather than on Saturday.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Congratulations to our best thread contest winner dj asakura for his "Congratulations Mew2king!" thread complete with interviews, placings, results, a picture from finals and more.

He will receive a pass to an MLG event of his choice this season.

In addition congrats to our first runner-up and second runner-up, Prawn for his "Who will be the poster-boy of MLG brawl thread?" with an in depth look at some potential candidates and a thread that is sporting the most views and replies in the forum. And Rajam with his pre-Orlando prediction thread that post Orlando came complete with brackets and full results.

Both the runner ups will receive 3 month premium memberships.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Some feedback for MLG.

Right now it looks very unlikely that I will be able to go despite the tourney occuring right in my home town simply because the important event begins on Friday rather than on Saturday.
Sorry to hear. But the reality is we have a massive event to run and no way to get it done otherwise. Most national tournaments do start on friday. So we aren't breaking new ground here. Its unfortunate if that is a problem for anyone. But we are hoping with as much forewarning as we give people and it being in the summer they find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom