• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Melee Matchup Chart for Mid Level Play

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This is an extremely important endeavor.

We all know MUs change at the various levels of play, so I think a chart that demonstrates what it's like to play a character before you're good with them would be a useful thing to have. Because many people never have any intention of moving beyond mid level play, a MU chart that only accommodates high level play is useless to them and highly discriminatory.

Obviously characters that are easily killed in single punishes, or with high learning curves (in terms of tech skill or otherwise) are going to drop immensely. Fox and Falco will likely drop a few points in each of their MUs. It can be debated whether or not Jigglypuff should rise. In my local region, she dominates the mid/low level players really hard because of U-throw Rest so I think it is logical to at least up her vs. space animals scores.

We will also have to, of course, define mid level play. Finding a crucial mistake amount and range will be essential.

Ministry

Smash Ace
i call marth and peach and go all in with sheik.

but srs.

Sheik
Puff
marth
peach
falco
fox

doesnt matter after that

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I want to put Sheik and Marth above Puff and Peach but the issue I have is that those characters F-tilt/F-smash at point blank and get shield grabbed for it at mid level play

Although sometimes people fail the shield grab/WD OOS punish at mid level play

Hmmm

This is more complicated than I initially anticipated

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
IMO Marth doesn't change much at mid level play. He won't be as fast and his combos won't be as great due to still working on perfecting L-cancels. If you don't shield grab [or wavedash out of shield] his f-smash you're an idiot. It's far from a broken move. Maybe it's broken in low level or scrub "I don't know which button shield is" play, but far from it even at mid level.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Gotta be Sheik right? I was thinking Falco too, he's pretty good with decent tech skill. "Mid-level" is kinda hard to define, but assuming they don't suck I'd say Sheik and Falco are the best, they're difficult to deal with until you get better

Also I would agree with Peach

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
So how are we defining mid-level here?

Kind of ignored that point and went straight to match ups.

What would you base it on? Mindset, knowledge, techskill etc. or how you would place in tournament?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
hey i consider myself a mid level player and i almost never get shield grabbed. at least not by jigglypuff... she's too short and her grab range is bad.

Point being: what is mid-level play?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sheik is god tier

ganon is probably like 4th best

link is high tier also

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I feel like people are going to underestimate mid-level. Even low-level isn't terrible, assuming we're strictly speaking in terms of tournament level players. A mid-level tournament player should have his technical skill down, and is really only being held back by the inability to make more sophisticated decisions and reactions.

Even a low-level player should slaughter casual players.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
ICG basically is the Pichu metagame.

Similarly, in my personal experience with mid level players, they often lose to Jigglypuff shenanigans like random error --> get Rested. Though it has also been brought to my attention that mid level Jigglypuffs also get death combo'd remarkably often despite her immunity to combos so I may have overestimated her power.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
ICG basically is the Pichu metagame.

Similarly, in my personal experience with mid level players, they often lose to Jigglypuff shenanigans like random error --> get Rested. Though it has also been brought to my attention that mid level Jigglypuffs also get death combo'd remarkably often despite her immunity to combos so I may have overestimated her power.
Is that really saying much?

I think Puff is a match up that just takes especially long to handle correctly. I mean, I guess that's arguable, but that's my opinion. So, yeah, mid-level players do poorly against Puff.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you should probably just do tier list instead of match up chart

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think at mid level, since people make more mistakes, Puff making the match longer is beneficial to her because it opens up more opportunities for the non-Puff character to fail and get Rested.

JWT2k6 is mid level.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I feel like people are going to underestimate mid-level. Even low-level isn't terrible, assuming we're strictly speaking in terms of tournament level players. A mid-level tournament player should have his technical skill down, and is really only being held back by the inability to make more sophisticated decisions and reactions.

Even a low-level player should slaughter casual players.
I like this definition.

sauc3

Smash Lord
i feel like a kid with special needs being compensated with an extra half hour of exam time while reading this thread.

Brookman

Smash Hero
This is my point of view @ mid level play.

Mid level player vs. mid levels player really comes down to who has the most simple, automatic combos. To this notion I would place sheik @ the top. Except for one other very important aspect. HER RECOVERY. Mid level sheik players don't know how to recover.

IN MY OPINION MID LEVEL HAS MARTH FALCO AT TOP. Mainly because mid level players don't know how to deal with lasers. Even if the falco player only lasers mindlessly.

Marth/falco
peach
fox
puff/sheik
GANON
falcon
bunch of other characters...

As for match ups?

I don't really know because mid-level play is so encompassing.

Assuming the levels of play go something like

low
mid
high

low level is basically no knowledge of person v. person game play.
mid level is knowledge and mild amounts of application of technicality with little regard to person vs. person.
high level would be higher placing local tournament players with
top being the higher placing national players.

high level players can play on a high level but often succumb to poor decision making and or lack of experience and/or fundamental strategical concepts.

top level players still **** most high level players and only lose to other top level players. High level players can still play at a top level but don't do so consistently enough to place high at large scale events.

ICE CLIMBERS ARE BOTTOM TIER @ mid level LOL

edit:

Case in point: http://www.smashboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12060167

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
I think there are too many different factors that need to be taken into account to determine what midlevel is.
Maybe somebody has full control of their character, but has trouble coming in clutch when it comes to finishing combos, or whatever.
Maybe someone has remarkable DI, or good mindgames, or adapts well midplay, but they lack in sheer comboing ability, or edgeguarding, or gimping.

I feel that any mid level player still has their own ups and downs in the game. There's no real way to determine matchups solely based on a group of people that you can't truly define

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
ur dumb if u think ics are low tier at mid level. U guys are underestimating fox. Upsmash, upthrow up air and nair shine are all u need.

Brookman

Smash Hero
There's really only one way to play this game. Players who don't play correctly are mid level.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
...that is the loosest statement ever. So u cant play either fox or falco only fox. No items fd?

Edit:aceplayer we should play each other it would be close lol

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
thanks for the support guys, but on an average day im not actually a mid level player according to KK. if ur disputing KK's definition then ok, but not according to KK.

id like to think i could atleast be mid tier according to KK, but i never play.

Top Bottom