• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Strife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
There was more time put into Melee and it was definitely not rushed.
No there wasn't.

Brawl's development started in October 2004.
Melee's couldn't possibly have started before Smash 64 was released.

But yeah, that pic is so fake.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
SSBM released at the end of 2001...
SSB64 at beginning of 1999...
that's about three years ish I suppose

SK919

Deal with it
Well, the time of development for brawl probably consisted more of Cut scenes, music, and extra features rather than raw gameplay. Which is probably what sakurai spent most of his time on while developing SSBM, and it definitely shows.

Brawl has higher production value and that times time/money but not innovation. Melee is still a stand alone fighter on it's own and I don't think this game or any new smash game can ever be as good but let's hope they copy the formula of melee with some tweaks.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
tbh I think that the majority of Melee players who have been around for 5+ years will keep playing Melee, even if Smash 4 is exactly Melee 2.0 (which it can't be. Do you really see them bringing back Melee airdodge?), until there is no longer a community for it. Which is fine, really. But some of us would like a Smash game with more than 10 or so viable characters.

And, y'know, a Link that doesn't suck balls.

rhan

Smash Hero
No there wasn't.

Brawl's development started in October 2004.
Melee's couldn't possibly have started before Smash 64 was released.

But yeah, that pic is so fake.
SSBM released at the end of 2001...
SSB64 at beginning of 1999...
that's about three years ish I suppose
I was talking about the Physical hours of development put into Melee. Year spans mean nothing unless the hours were put into it. Obviously if Melee was so hard the developer put sooo many hours into making the game as good as possible.

Since the same can't be said for Brawl the time worked on it per day/week probably wasn't a lot.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
brawl is the best sounding title in the series(besides the original anyway.)

I still remember those annoying Ma-lee vs. May-lay debates.

Strife is OK, though I think Duel would have been better.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
just my personal opinion amalgamated from reading random news about smash development/nintendo in general and looking at game code, but plenty of things about brawl scream 'this was totally gonna be a competitive fighter, and at the last second we had a change in design direction and added in **** to make it more accessible to everybody'.

For instance, Brawl hitstun has the exact same value within the code as Melee, but it seems like something was slapped on near the end of development to shorten the length. Likewise, tripping seems like it wasnt adequately playtested (see: single naner lock infinites), and theres evidence that diddy would have an ice climbers type situation with dixie as his partner (their down-b being the ability to switch who's the lead, rather than bananas).

Not to mention when Brawl came out was right as nintendo started going crazy casual-friendly...if it was released 6 months earlier it probably wouldve been before the switch (and thus more melee-like, as it was at E for All 08 (i think that was the setting for gimpyfish's old 'first impressions' article)), but 6 months later it probably wouldve been more polished but way more scrub-friendly

Not necessarily related to competitiveness but my guess is that they decided to add in jigglypuff/toon link/wolf/sonic very late in development as well

jiggs/tl/wolf are the only 3 characters not to play a part in the subspace emissary and are absolutely dead last in the character id list with a significant gap between them and everybody else (except maybe the third parties, i cant quite remember off the top of my head)

sonic also only comes in right at the end out of nowhere in a sort of deux ex machina moment without any prior presence
not to mention half his moves look alike/feature him curling up into a ball, which seems to me like they put him in while running out of time
and the whole 'mention a delay the same day we reveal his entrance' deal

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Melee a rarely used word, and had a sort of elegance about it, IMO. You can imagine a bunch of people at a club in bow ties saying, "Did you hear about the Melee yesterday?" while sipping tea.

Brawl was definitely exciting, but kind of violent. "What are you playing?" "super SMASH brothers BRAWL"

Strife is just horrible. The only people who use that word are the UN, who want to end it globally. Definitely not the right thing for a cartoony, party-friendly game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Brawl came out just fine and just as envisioned. And judging by the size of the community alongside Melee, clearly there's nothing wrong with it on a competitive level. This is just a remark to those saying that Brawl was rushed or whatever.

Frankly, so long as there's some base competitive value and the basics remain the same, it's a success (so long as it's not glitching. the formula is tried and true across the board). Make it more competitive, but give the casual crowd the game they want out of Smash. Casual people played Melee with the same shenanigans as Brawl just fine. So it doesn't matter how it develops competitively in a sense. It's what we as a community make of it.

If whatever the new Smash game may be (if we get it) ends up being as phenominal as the rest, fantastic. We get our tourney-viable game, the community lives on into newer generations, and anyone who wants to relax and play casually gets their item-filled multiplayer madness.

My two-cents on a new Smash Bros. Sup Melee boards.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I honestly think this will show if brawl is an actual good competitive game. Do you REALLY think people are going to be like "Man, *insert SSB sequal title here* sucks ***, I'm going back to Brawl."? Honestly.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It doesn't matter the game, there will always be people out there that think a certain game sucks. 64? Sucks because it's too focused on "don't get hit, if you do you're dead" or getting ***** by Isai or SuPeRbOoM. Melee? Sucks because it's way too fast-paced and doesn't have enough characters in it. Brawl? Sucks because it has tripping and Meta Knight.

Everyone's going to have their reasons for not liking a game. It's gonna happen with this one too. I've loved every Smash game I came across. But honestly? Who the hell knows. Maybe this one will rub me the wrong way and I'll be like, "Screw this. I've got Brawl and my styleof Sonic there."

Wait and see, wait and anticipate, wait and hype. It passes the time.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Complaining about a game being to fast paced sounds like a player problem but w/e. I just can't see people going back to brawl. But like you said, we'll see.

Renth

Smash Hero
I have an interview somewhere on youtube where someone tried asking me about brawl and I went off on it being the worst thing ever and I wanted to go around the world and smash every copy with a hammer or some such BS.

Either way, I will get a Nintendo Wii 2 (Cafe) and I would purchase another smash brothers because honestly like brawl or not and believe me I do not. It had a sick main game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I have an interview somewhere on youtube where someone tried asking me about brawl and I went off on it being the worst thing ever and I wanted to go around the world and smash every copy with a hammer or some such BS.

Either way, I will get a Nintendo Wii 2 (Cafe) and I would purchase another smash brothers because honestly like brawl or not and believe me I do not. It had a sick main game.
Oh the glory days of severe Brawl hate. They were both...frustrating and hilarious now that I look back on them.

Ecks

Smash Lord
The only reason to get back to Brawl is the ******** amount of hacking you can do to it.

And I agree with MK26. I thought brawl was gonna be a serious game judging by the darkish atmosphere it has. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

The new smash will be called SSB XOXO~. You kinda fight but are required to hug your opponent after every hit to let him/her know you're not serious. Eliminating any slim chance of a possible chain/combo.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
A new smash game? IT HAS TO BE BAD OMG THE TITLE IS HORRIBLE IT WILL NEVER BE LIKE MELEE OH AND BRAWL SUCKS.

GGs, Melee boards.

I bet some of you will pick up the new game and notice you can't wavedash and you'll start a hate train all over smashboards "but urhh you can't wavedash this is soooo an uncompetitive game".

Ecks

Smash Lord
Sure, it's impossible to know if it will be a good or bad game (if it even exists) but using brawl as a basis and adding in the fact that Sakurai said that if he was to make another one, it would be like Brawl, we are forced to conclude that the game will be like Brawl and, guess what, we don't really like Brawl. so if to us Brawl sucks, then this will too.

And I'm willing to take you up on that stupid bet of yours.

:phone:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Sure, it's impossible to know if it will be a good or bad game (if it even exists) but using brawl as a basis and adding in the fact that Sakurai said that if he was to make another one, it would be like Brawl, we are forced to conclude that the game will be like Brawl and, guess what, we don't really like Brawl. so if to us Brawl sucks, then this will too.

And I'm willing to take you up on that stupid bet of yours.

Because the next smash WILL obviously be a very rushed game with little playtesting.

And to all the people who said the devs had "delays", thus had time to prepare Brawl, do you even know what delay means? It means that they found themselves in a situation of stress where they were supposed to release the game but couldn't, and then were given very little time to correct all the flaws that were left. Which is why they made drastic decisions such as the massive hitstun drop, etc.

Instead of just assuming the next game will be bad, wait and see.

I also bet some of you WANT the next game to be bad, so that you can rejoice and tell everyone "I knew it!". =D

Ecks

Smash Lord
It's impossible to know how development will go, but I think the most logical thing to do is take brawl and polish the engine/mechanics/whatever like every person in the game industry dealing with a sequel would. Meaning that chances that this will be a "Brawl 2" are high. I'm usually not a pessimistic person but in this case I can't see a reason not to.

I would be really happy if I Ninty proved me wrong though. Even if it plays like Brawl+ I'll consider it a good game.

And I agree with your last bet. lol

Edit: Wow, it's 5:30 am... What am I doing up? lol

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
It's extremely possible it'll be like Brawl+.

A casual friendly game like Brawl but without all the weird things (low hitstun, tripping, chaingrabs).

But actually, Brawl+ is a bit too easy and silly.

Walt

Smash Ace
It should be Super Smash Bros. Accent Core.

Special guess appearance by Potemkin. Or Slayer. Or Sol.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The problem with Brawl is Nintendo gave them way too small a timeframe. Honestly I'm past blaming Sakurai, I pretty much think Brawl's poor elements were the results of executive meddling.

Renth

Smash Hero
edit:

rather than arguing and turning this into brawl vs. melee. I strongly dislike the brawl community and a lot of the trolls that came along who joined two years ago and think they know everything about everything.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
It's already been a brawl vs melee debate. Happens every time. 64 was a party game. It spawned Melee. Melee became competitive and famed by SWF and casual players. 64 was famed even more in retrospect IIRC. Then Melee spawned Brawl. Brawl was intended to be anti-competitive, but made so anyway.

If you look at it, Melee was and (in my opinion) still is the central Smash community's popularity. Because it started most of what exists in the community now. Including standards of what things should and shouldn't be the way they are in Brawl.

Melee > 64 > Brawl. That's the way things are always going to be because of how people who've been around longer (since the baby days of competitive Smash) because they stick with what was "born" first. Kinda like how a lot of people claim "Sonic games for the Genesis will always be better than SA2B."

Now I know some idiot will plan on quoting me on "Melee > 64 > Brawl". Let me stick this right at the bottom so when people skip my paragraph, they see this. Brawl is fun. I'd estimate 80% of the Melee players here will agree to that, but simply disagree that it's competitive-level worthy. That's it. The other 20% just say "brawl sux" and go. I'm not even going to put my analysis on the people in separate communities, because then people will have something else to fight over.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
It's already been a brawl vs melee debate. Happens every time. 64 was a party game. It spawned Melee. Melee became competitive and famed by SWF and casual players. 64 was famed even more in retrospect IIRC. Then Melee spawned Brawl. Brawl was intended to be anti-competitive, but made so anyway.

If you look at it, Melee was and (in my opinion) still is the central Smash community's popularity. Because it started most of what exists in the community now. Including standards of what things should and shouldn't be the way they are in Brawl.

Melee > 64 > Brawl. That's the way things are always going to be because of how people who've been around longer (since the baby days of competitive Smash) because they stick with what was "born" first. Kinda like how a lot of people claim "Sonic games for the Genesis will always be better than SA2B."

Now I know some idiot will plan on quoting me on "Melee > 64 > Brawl". Let me stick this right at the bottom so when people skip my paragraph, they see this. Brawl is fun. I'd estimate 80% of the Melee players here will agree to that, but simply disagree that it's competitive-level worthy. That's it. The other 20% just say "brawl sux" and go. I'm not even going to put my analysis on the people in separate communities, because then people will have something else to fight over.
qft

I love playing brawl with items on :awesome:

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I tried getting into Brawl when it came out, but it wasn't fun for me so I don't play it.
Stuff like being able to act out of hitstuns or being able to air dodge infinite times killed any opportunity to combo, and everyone being floaty didn't feel right.
The pace was too slow and the gameplay too centered around defense.
I don't hate Brawl because Melee was "what was born first.", I just find it boring.

And regarding SSB4, I hope they don't take Brawl and add more stuff cause it wouldn't be very fun.
I'm not asking for Melee 2, they could just try completely new stuff and it could be a good game in its own right, but Brawl 2, for me, would just mean more years of Melee.

rhan

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter the game, there will always be people out there that think a certain game sucks. 64? Sucks because it's too focused on "don't get hit, if you do you're dead" or getting ***** by Isai or SuPeRbOoM. Melee? Sucks because it's way too fast-paced and doesn't have enough characters in it. Brawl? Sucks because it has tripping and Meta Knight.

Everyone's going to have their reasons for not liking a game. It's gonna happen with this one too. I've loved every Smash game I came across. But honestly? Who the hell knows. Maybe this one will rub me the wrong way and I'll be like, "Screw this. I've got Brawl and my styleof Sonic there."

Wait and see, wait and anticipate, wait and hype. It passes the time.

Complaining about a game that doesn't have that many characters in it? Some people don't realise the fewer character you have to work with the more balanced a game can become..

Imo SSB64 and Melee is played at about the same speed.

and to be frank. 64 is the best one.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Come on now guys, it won't be called Strife. According to Nintendo's PR it will be called :Super Smash Brothers Cuddleparty. Come now, anyone played Nintendo releases lately? It's also going to feature a super high-end single core processor and on-board graphics! I'm hyped!

Ecks

Smash Lord
It should be Super Smash Bros. Accent Core.

Special guess appearance by Potemkin. Or Slayer. Or Sol.
I am so glad Ark got the licence back. ;_;

More Jam for me <3

And to get back on topic; I wasn't a competitive (didn't even know what an L cancel was) player when Brawl came out and I didn't like it. The physics and the nerfs is what killed the game for me. I don't hate it but I'll never go "Hey guys, let's play Brawl!"

Honestly, Smash just isn't for me anymore. After Project M (dat Ness) I'll probably stop paying attention to any other smash..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom