• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
=.=
ugh...

Is there someone intelligent here I can talk to?
Can a mod or admin sort this out...

Because this is starting to get annoying.
The Smash competitive community in general likes to be scrubbish, that's why they want Meta Knight banned in the first place. And I sure am not afraid to say it at all. Not after considering how contageous their "no johns" bu-

(Cut for technical difficulties. We will be back in a second.)

-is when a so-called friend who claims he only wanted to be good has used it. Really hypocritical of them, really.

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
*thinks about it*

All anti-ban vote Democrat. (Again, Yuna's statement.)
So what about the independent voters?
Where would they stand in the meta knight ban vote...
they would probably vote to ban another character or something.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
1) Define what a truly even match-up is.a match where 2 people using their 2 character at an equal level go hit per hit making it unclear who will win
2) Name a match-up that's truly even.Yoshi vs anyone except Marth,GaW,MK,and Samus?
3) Explain how you know that MK has no truly even match-ups, or match-ups that aren't close enough to the point where the better player wins (Ally says hi)?ally is better than M2K, so.....
4) Explain how match-ups like Diddy vs. MK, which has been gradually going into Diddy's favor and there's known (not theorycrafted ideas, known ATS) that can propel him further into the match-up once mastered, can't possibly be even or worse for MK in the future, if they aren't already now.cuz diddy players are getting better at the matchup instead of *****ing about why they cant win
5) Explain how the counter-pick system is used enough at high levels of play for him having a bad match-up to even matter.MK only somewhat legal counterpic is Yoshis island (pipes)
6) Explain how there are other fighting games with healthy competitive communities yet a top character with no universal bad match-ups?cuz ppl dont like sagat?idk...

Fun is subjective.
answers above i guess

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
*secret high-five for having Geno in your avatar*

I believe that Metaknight has driven the metagame of only a few characters: Snake, Diddy, and the Ice Climbers (maybe Wario but he seems the most "rounded" of the top/high tier characters when it comes to match up experience of the players). Everyone else has either significantly slowed down or is getting worse at the moment.
Just because people want to find a disadvantageous match-up against him, does not mean that he's overcentralizing the meta-game. Over-centralization would imply that he makes many characters unviable, and the only characters that place well in tournaments only place well because they have a good match-up against MK. It would imply that he's dominating tournament standings, and he's the sole reason why character boards try to improve and find more things about their character.

This is not the case. People try to get better to keep up with the evolving metagame, and to keep up with the plethora of other people who are also getting better. MK is a reason why people try to get better, but he's not the sole reason, and character wise, high tier and a character's really bad match-ups are reasons why a character or character board would try to get better.

For example: Diddy. His worst match-up, in my opinion, is Peach. The opinion on Diddy's match-ups seem to differ from Diddy to Diddy, but a recent problem has encountered with Peach when Le_Thien brought to our attention that KOS-MOS was redefining the match-up and how Peach's play against Diddy.

This alone is evidence that MK was not the only reason for KOS-MOS trying to get better; it was probably his frequent matches against Le_Thien that prompted it. But that wasn't the case I was trying to get at.

In my opinion, Peach is the only match-up against Diddy that I feel is really difficult (I don't see any other characters being worse than 55:45), some of the reasons being is her way that she can easily use and negate the use of Diddy's bananas like no other can with instant floats, and she can transition quickly and effortlessly from air to ground game, eliminating another one of Diddy's crutches, his good mid-range zoning and lag-punishment techniques (that's combined with his use of bananas).

If Diddy mains as a whole invested a lot of time into that match-up, it could be really helpful to his metagame. It would help with banana control, precise spacing and zoning, and less reliance and auto-pilotness on his bananas. Even if the match-up didn't get any better for us, it could help with other match-ups, because the things that may not work as well on Peach (punishing lag via mid-range zoning) could help in other instances (such as Marth, again brought to our attention by Hanson, and has convinced Diddy mains that the match-up is no worse than even for us).

While that was a HUGE amount of theorycraft (and was almost useless), it's evidence that MK is not the sole reason why characters or character boards try to get better. It can be a reason for some people and character boards, like Marth mains, but it isn't the sole reason or even the main reason why people try to get better. MK isn't close to being Diddy's worst match-up, and while I invest time in the match-up because he's the most used character, I'm hardly worried about constantly spending time in it.
tl;dr: MK himself doesn't really speed up or slow down characters meta-games just because they have even/really bad match-ups against him.

The character himself does nothing to their metagames. Just because Toon Link has a bad match-up against MK, doesn't mean that there can't be a lot of Toon Link mains experimenting with his possible options and such.

More than anything, individual players propel character's metagames. Ninjalink did it for Diddy. Snakeee did it for ZSS. Lain did it for ICs. Who were the huge notable mains of those character before then? It wasn't so much, "zomfg lol Ninjalink beat M2K that means Diddy beats MK EVERYONE PICK HIM UP NOW." It was more of Ninjalink proving that Diddy (and him) could not only be viable against MK, but Diddy in general was a tournament viable character, and Ninjalink discovered and utilized a lot of things about Diddy that no one else did.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
1) Define what a truly even match-up is.
2) Name a match-up that's truly even.
3) Explain how you know that MK has no truly even match-ups, or match-ups that aren't close enough to the point where the better player wins (Ally says hi)?
4) Explain how match-ups like Diddy vs. MK, which has been gradually going into Diddy's favor and there's known (not theorycrafted ideas, known ATS) that can propel him further into the match-up once mastered, can't possibly be even or worse for MK in the future, if they aren't already now.
5) Explain how the counter-pick system is used enough at high levels of play for him having a bad match-up to even matter.
6) Explain how there are other fighting games with healthy competitive communities yet a top character with no universal bad match-ups?

Fun is subjective.
1. A 50-50 Match up.
2. Marth vs R.O.B., Snake vs DK, Snake vs D3, Peach vs D3, Lucario vs ZSS, the list goes on.
3. He has no truly even match ups. You act like you have never seen somebody win a match up that is 60-40.
4. Diddy vs MK is not even, it is MK's favor. The instant the MK actually takes the time to learn the match up it sky rockets into MK's favor. It is EASILY 60-40 MK if they take the time to learn the match up. Diddy is character that if you don't know how to handle him, you get ***** regardless of who you are.
5. If he had a bad match up then the meta would be more diverse. Because it would make more of a rock paper scissors meta. Which is a great thing! It allows for more characters to grow, because each character has different bad match ups(except meta.)
6. I don't know about other fighting communities because I am a smasher, and only a smasher. I don't like games like GG, street fighter, or halo. I just play smash. So, I don't know about their communities.

Also, since its obvious you didn't read the first post. Let me get the parts for you.
#3.
It is universally unquestioned that Metaknight is the best character in Brawl, and with good reason. The term broken is often coined; and since the term often is used with different meanings, we should begin with defining the term "broken". For our purposes, we will define "broken" as "A word used to describe an element in a video game that does belong, and is above aspects or mechanics of the game." We as pro ban believe that Metaknight is "broken" within this definition.

An analysis of Metaknight's moveset demonstrates his capabilities as the best character. Such an analysis is too lengthy for this writeup, but see Praxis' brief list or perhaps Fiction's lengthy document.

Individual aspects of his moveset are merely tools MK has available to him, and obviously do not in themselves prove Metaknight to be broken. The deeper issue is that, when this moveset is combined into one character, the result is a character that bypasses several aspects of the game. The following points will examine how Metaknight fits this description.
I recommend reading Praxis' list, and Fiction's document.

Counterpoint #1- The game is still growing and evolving

When Brawl was released, we saw a multitude of characters succeeding in all areas. Shortly after tournaments became common, Snake became THE character. He was seen in 1st place on many results pages, most especially East Coast, with DSF in West Coast and Florida being inundated with Snakes.

In a very short time, merely a matter of weeks, the smash community put its head together and found a multitude of weaknesses for Snake. This included counter characters (ROB and D3 both did well against him in tournament play) and counter stages (Snake routinely lost on stages that required more aerial movement, like Rainbow Cruise).

Most advanced techs for Melee were found mere months after its release. We're a larger, more organized, and more competitive community now than we were when Melee started. Snake was dominant and we knocked him off his throne with Metaknight, who has stayed in the #1 position ever since (a strong argument against Snake counter Metaknight, as Metaknight is the most common character).

The reason this hasn't been done with Metaknight is because despite the game "growing and evolving", Metaknight has none of the weaknesses other characters has... and is growing with them. In fact, Metaknight's plethora of options in all circumstances has made him grow FASTER than other characters. It is not a coincidence that most of the top ranked characters from Ankoku's chart are either Metaknight himself, or characters that do better than most against Metaknight, and it is no coincidence that it has gone on this long.
5. Meta Knight breaks the counterpick system.
Super Smash Brothers Brawl is based on counterpicks, both via stage and character; this is most especially true in singles. The existence of said counterpicks is ignored only by the most obtuse and stubborn members of our smash community, with the majority of competitive smash players embracing the concept and learning stages that are good or bad for certain characters as well as getting secondary characters to create more favorable matchups.

Generally, counterpicks are character dependent more than stage dependent. The most extreme example generally involving infinites or zero-deaths, such as Pikachu vs. Fox, or D3 vs. DK, and less extreme simply based on movesets, mobility, edgeguarding, gimping, combos, juggles, and a variety of other factors leading many to see obvious advantages in matchups like MK vs. Luigi, Falco vs. D3, or Marth vs. Jiggs. Stages also generally play a factor, admittedly less of one due to our banning of extreme stages like Shadow Moses or Bridge of Eldin. Stages increase our odds of winning by naturally enhancing our characters strengths as well as our opponents weaknesses; you will find Falco winning on Jungle Japes often due to his spike into the water negating many recoveries while Falco's side-b does just fine in getting him back to the stage, and Metaknight's gimping abilities are no stranger to Rainbow Cruise.

We've built Smash on the back of this counterpick system to make things fair. There are no "fair" stages; Snake does extremely well on all flat stages with platforms, most notably Smashville and Battlefield, but pales in comparison to ROB on mobile stages like Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon, and the Ice Climbers themselves would easily prefer Final Destination. We allow for double blind picks and force the winner of the prior game to choose their character after the stage is chosen, and then allow the losing player to counterpick with a character of his choice, resulting in at least one "uphill" battle for each player and one "fair" starting match via our stage strike system.

Unfortunately, Metaknight breaks both the stage aspect and the character aspect. The only stages Metaknight has shown to do poorly on have been Shadow Moses, Bridge of Eldin, and other ridiculously one-sided stages. As for characters, Metaknight has shown to have only even matchups at best and has continually outshined every other character in the game. Because of this, Metaknight inherently breaks the counterpick system.

Should you consider Diddy a good character (as many do), an even matchup with MK, and a tournament viable character in many other matchups, you would have company. However, that Diddy player will have to go through a counterpick that is not favorable for him in every set in addition to all the bad matchups he must face when he runs into Marth, ROB, or anyone else that has an advantage over him. Metaknight never has this issue in any way.

The MK numbers never go down. If MK had a counter, this would not be occurring and instead we'd see an influx of the counter character to Metaknight. If we suddenly saw a rise in Donkey Kongs, wouldn't we see a large number of Dedede secondaries within a month or two? Metaknights numbers have consistently increased, not decreased, and it is due to his lack of a proper counter character and stage.
Read up.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
answers above i guess
I meant Ally says hi as in he's the better player as in the Snake vs. MK match-up is close enough for the better player to win.

Granted, they're both close players (as Ally beat him at APEX and 2 Genesis grand finals sets, while M2K beat him in winners finals of Genesis and Evo 2K9), but yeah.

I also meant that the counterpick system isn't used enough to the point where people would automatically pick up the character who has a slight advantage against MK if they don't already lose to MK like 65-35 or worse. Snake's bad match-up is D3, and there are a lot of Snakes in tournaments as well, but hardly anyone actually practices D3 as a secondary to use against Snakes.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Here's a better one for you, Avarice. Disclaimer: I am not the end-all-be-all on matchup info, and I recognize and admit this. I'll answer as best as I can, but ultimately, I won't be able to satisfy all your questions.

3) Explain how you know that MK has no truly even match-ups, or match-ups that aren't close enough to the point where the better player wins (Ally says hi)?
4) Explain how match-ups like Diddy vs. MK, which has been gradually going into Diddy's favor and there's known (not theorycrafted ideas, known ATS) that can propel him further into the match-up once mastered, can't possibly be even or worse for MK in the future, if they aren't already now.
5) Explain how the counter-pick system is used enough at high levels of play for him having a bad match-up to even matter.
6) Explain how there are other fighting games with healthy competitive communities yet a top character with no universal bad match-ups?

Fun is subjective.
1. A matchup where character A's theoretical total advantages over character B equals his/her theoretical total disadvantages to said character B.

2. Can't answer that one, because I don't know matchups well enough to. I doubt there are any perfect equal matchups, though; perfection is rare.

3. For part one, see above. For part 2, that was never an issue. Also, using Ally as an example invalidates the question since you're asking about matchups, and Ally v anyone is a player, not character, matchup.

4. What-ifs and possibilities are irrelevant. Unless you can prove (as a Diddy-mainer yourself) that Diddy currently goes even-to-better against MK, previous trends have to take precedence over theoretical future advantages, and the previous trend over the past year+ says that no one has surpassed (significantly, anyway) MK.

5. I'm not going to answer this because I don't think that high-level play should be the only thing we look at. (I'll address this in a second).

6. Irrelevant. Other game communities are not us. We shouldn't care what they think, as long as what we do works for us.

Now, on to the last part of 5. I don't remember ANYONE ever presenting hard evidence as to why only high-level play matters. Last time I checked, all the "proof" given was all theory and philosophy. The fact of the matter is that low- and mid-level play sustains and creates high-level play; without those lower levels, high-level play can't thrive, or even survive. A community of all low-level and mid-level play can do just fine, since that's the majority. A community without low- or mid-level play can't sustain itself and devolves to only small community stuff (try having a pot big enough to buy the plane tickets of all the pros going out of state without the low- and -mid level players buying into the pot).

The fact is that the argument that only high-level play matters in this discussion is flat out unsupported, and no one should be required to even listen to it. I know that seems akin to putting your fingers in your ear and shouting "nahnahnahnah", but, simply, no one has to even validate with a response ANY unsupported claim, and that one isn't very well supported; really, it only exists to attempt to invalidate the arguments of anyone supporting low- or mid- level players.

(This is to everyone else, and not people using argument 5): If we all ignore this horrible argument long enough, it will go away. Don't even validate it with a response.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
1. No one who voted anti-ban has lost to anyone ever.
2. There are no alt accounts for anti-ban votes.
3. Everyone who voted pro-ban played Melee competitively.
4. Everyone who voted anti-ban is a Democrate. (lol spelling)
5. All the people who voted anti-ban despise playing online.
6. All the people who voted anti-ban have plenty of tourney experience.
7. All the people who voted anti-ban have 07 and older accounts.
8. All the people who voted anti-ban main MK or S tier.
9. All the people who voted anti-ban know every matchup, especially the ones dealing with MK.
10. All the people who voted anti-ban thinks pro-banners are scrubs.
11. No one who voted anti-ban didn't have to try to get better against Metaknight, it just naturally happened from being so godlike.
12. Everyone who voted anti-ban thinks people need to get as good as Ally.
13. All the people who voted anti-ban are brilliant, both in Brawl and in life.
14. The anti-ban vote is has no burden of proof.
15. All the people who voted anti-ban think that banning MK will lead to the banning of everything that isn't C tier or lower.
16. Everyone who voted anti-ban wins against Metaknight on a regular basis.
17. Everyone who voted anti-ban plays as a character that has an "even" matchup with MK.
18. Everyone who voted anti-ban is a Street Fighter expert.
19. Everyone who voted anti-ban comes from an area where Metaknight dominates and dominates them with their non-MK character.
20. Everyone who voted anti-ban is thinks banning techniques that make a character broken is better than actually banning the character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
tl;dr: MK himself doesn't really speed up or slow down characters meta-games just because they have even/really bad match-ups against him.

The character himself does nothing to their metagames. Just because Toon Link has a bad match-up against MK, doesn't mean that there can't be a lot of Toon Link mains experimenting with his possible options and such.

More than anything, individual players propel character's metagames. Ninjalink did it for Diddy. Snakeee did it for ZSS. Lain did it for ICs. Who were the huge notable mains of those character before then? It wasn't so much, "zomfg lol Ninjalink beat M2K that means Diddy beats MK EVERYONE PICK HIM UP NOW." It was more of Ninjalink proving that Diddy (and him) could not only be viable against MK, but Diddy in general was a tournament viable character, and Ninjalink discovered and utilized a lot of things about Diddy that no one else did.
The character itself doesn't, obviously, but the number of people who pick up the character do. You can't have one person drive a metagame. You can have a person discover something but unless the person shares it with other people who use the character, then it doesn't do anything and basically just remain as "gimmicks" (a better word escapes me at the moment) for one person. For example, Psychomidget pretty much discovered all of Snake's "weapon" tricks and they were quickly adopted by everyone and their grandma thus making Snake such a formidiable opponent early on (and still to a lesser degree). An example of the opposite is how Ally does a lot of things with Snake that most people just don't really do with him like playing really aggresively. It also has to do with how well the people place (to a lesser degree) because, if they do place well while doing the things they do, I've noticed that they are usually more likely to share their findings even if they are minor.

Truth be told, the Diddy community has always been very active and attentive with a lot of experienced members while the Ice Climber community is probably one of the least popular but has some of the most experienced players of any character board. That kind of has to do a lot with it too, if your community has a lot of well ranking and experienced players then your character develops that much faster which is why some characters, like Mario, Wolf, and Ike have either really slow developing metagames at the moment (Mario) or are getting worse (Ike and Wolf). In a nutshell, this describes most of the cast at this present time.

FOXYB

Smash Cadet
OK, lets say MK does get banned... We will just start a new smash league with MK not banned. its no big deal really. If people can't handle the MK, lets just take him elsewhere where he can be appreciated.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
1. No one who voted anti-ban has lost to anyone ever.
2. There are no alt accounts for anti-ban votes.
3. Everyone who voted pro-ban played Melee competitively.
4. Everyone who voted anti-ban is a Democrate. (lol spelling)
5. All the people who voted anti-ban despise playing online. lol
6. All the people who voted anti-ban have plenty of tourney experience.lol
7. All the people who voted anti-ban have 07 and older accounts.lol
8. All the people who voted anti-ban main MK or S tier.if ICs count then yeah
9. All the people who voted anti-ban know every matchup, especially the ones dealing with MK.somewhat
10. All the people who voted anti-ban thinks pro-banners are scrubs.somewhat
11. No one who voted anti-ban didn't have to try to get better against Metaknight, it just naturally happened from being so godlike.or still lose sometimes but eventually gets better
12. Everyone who voted anti-ban thinks people need to get as good as Ally.isint that everyone?
13. All the people who voted anti-ban are brilliant, both in Brawl and in life. lol
14. The anti-ban vote is has no burden of proof. lol
15. All the people who voted anti-ban think that banning MK will lead to the banning of everything that isn't C tier or lower.lol
16. Everyone who voted anti-ban wins against Metaknight on a regular basis. somewhat
17. Everyone who voted anti-ban plays as a character that has an "even" matchup with MK.lol
18. Everyone who voted anti-ban is a Street Fighter expert.rofl no i suck....well...only at SFIV
19. Everyone who voted anti-ban comes from an area where Metaknight dominates and dominates them with their non-MK character.not rly....
20. Everyone who voted anti-ban is thinks banning techniques that make a character broken is better than actually banning the charactersomewhat.
lol's in above

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
1. A 50-50 Match up.
Good job.

I meant, how do you know it's exactly even? People say that MU's like Marth vs. R.O.B., Diddy vs. Marth, etc., are even without worry, yet as soon as someone suggests that Snake vs. MK or ICs vs. MK is even, people go nuts and say it isn't. This was a more rhetorical question if anything.

2. Marth vs R.O.B., Snake vs DK, Snake vs D3, Peach vs D3, Lucario vs ZSS, the list goes on.
Refer to 1

3. He has no truly even match ups. You act like you have never seen somebody win a match up that is 60-40.
Way to be specific and answer my question at all.

I asked how do you know that Snake vs. MK isn't even, ICs vs. MK isn't even, or Diddy vs. MK isn't even? Do you know the actual match-ups well enough at high levels of play? Do you have evidence to support your claims otherwise?

Saying, "HE HAS NO EVEN MATCH-UPS BECAUSE HE DOESN'T," isn't convincing at all.

4. Diddy vs MK is not even, it is MK's favor. The instant the MK actually takes the time to learn the match up it sky rockets into MK's favor. It is EASILY 60-40 MK if they take the time to learn the match up. Diddy is character that if you don't know how to handle him, you get ***** regardless of who you are.
Refer to three. You weren't specific, at all. How exactly is it in MKs favor? What actually makes it in his favor? I'd like an answer like, "MKs ground attacks trump his options blahblahblah," not, "HE JUST WINS EASILY DUHHHH."

I'm assuming you mean learning how to use bananas as knowing the match-up. Match-ups don't consider week old players, they consider top players, AKA players who know the match-up well. Diddy's banana metagame isn't, "lol throw banana they trip lol combos," and general anti-banana game isn't, "ohnuez banana wat we do?"

You're basically saying that top level MKs don't know the match-up well, which is obviously why ADHD is able to beat so many top level MKs. Dojo (who seconds Diddy and got 3rd with Diddy/Kirby for dittos in hobo17), lost to ADHD 2-0 in an MM at Genesis. I'm pretty sure he knows the ins and outs of Diddy pretty well, if no other MK does.

Also, you didn't directly target what I said about the match-up. Diddy vs. MK is already a close match-up to the point where the better player wins. Diddy has known techs (instant throwing, single banana locking, mid-range spacing and pressure) that have been recently explored and are fairly new to his high level metagame, but can be commonly incorporated in time. What techs does MK have like this? All he has is theorycraft that there might be things that can put him ahead in the match-up.

5. If he had a bad match up then the meta would be more diverse. Because it would make more of a rock paper scissors meta. Which is a great thing! It allows for more characters to grow, because each character has different bad match ups(except meta.)
more characters to grow
Meta Knight does NOT slow down the metagame of characters.

I don't see the metagame becoming so much more diverse if he had a 45-55 match-up not in his favor. We'd still see MK being in the top spots along with Snake, as they're the best character. Not surprising at all.

I also still don't see this as being a direct repsonse to what I said. The character counterpick system is hardly used at high levels of play, so why does it matter if he gets a 45-55 match-up in the future? The only people winning it would be the mains of that character, and even then not often, as people win match-ups like that against them all the time. It isn't important for him to have a bad match-up.

6. I don't know about other fighting communities because I am a smasher, and only a smasher. I don't like games like GG, street fighter, or halo. I just play smash. So, I don't know about their communities.
Melee Fox had no universal bad match-ups. Marth was bad on FD, and his match-up with Falco was stage dependent, but he had no match-ups that were bad on every single stage.

Also, I'm saying that it's possible to have a healthy competitive metagame even though a non-counterable character is the best character, as proven with these other games.

Also, since its obvious you didn't read the first post. Let me get the parts for you.
#3. I recommend reading Praxis' list, and Fiction's document.
Read both. Swordgard already targetted Fiction's document and refuted points in it (and it has points found also in Praxis's list). All the list does is prove that he's a good character with a good moveset. Congratulations. Doesn't mean, "ZOMFG TRANSCENDENT PRIORITY LOL BROKEN BANBANBAN"

#4#5

Read up.
Neither of those targetted the posts that I had. For 4, Diddy has KNOWN techs that can help him improve, not, "oh well it could get better,"--it will get better. For 5, I'm not talking about how MK doesn't break the CP system, I'm talking about how the character CP system isn't nearly important enough at high levels of play for it to matter.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
While I know that his whole post was sarcasm, I wanna critisize on lil thing:
Okay, let me get this straight. Are you implying that Anti-Ban wants to change something in the game?
Like, adding a patch that installs Meta Knight onto everyone's Brawl disc, because he isn't on it?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
OK, lets say MK does get banned... We will just start a new smash league with MK not banned. its no big deal really. If people can't handle the MK, lets just take him elsewhere where he can be appreciated.
Which is why asking this is dumb... *not saying that this thread is totally pointless.*

REL38

Smash Lord
"5. All the people who voted anti-ban despise playing online."

I tried my absolute best to like online, but I still hate it.

I main A Tier (Kirby, ROB) and S Tier (Snake) :D

9. All the people who voted anti-ban know every matchup, especially the ones dealing with MK.

I'm only familiar with the MK match-up. Partial with everyone else and none with the bottom teir characters.

I didn't need a rule telling me something I already know to be true /sarcasm

Lmao

It's funny how much of this is actually true.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace

Fun is subjective.
1. 50/50
2. How about MK dittos? :p no matchup is truly even because lets face it, at a certain point a player makes the difference in the matchup so I'm just gonna stick with a simple definition above: 50/50. If it has been show that a matchup can fluctuate between one side to the other mid match and typically due to players adapting, then that matchup is close enough in my opinion to be 50/50, they are won not by the character, but by the player's use of the character... Marth v DK tends to be a good one imo.

3. You want me to prove something that is technically unprovable by any human, at best i can say that if top players say he doesn't, then I'll follow their word. It's a "Show me there's no giant spagheti monster" kind of problem. Or even "prove that there is no life on another planet." At some point it comes down to players, but im pretty sure that the fact that there is no COUNTER to MK that shows that he has no disadvantaged matchups, thus the best is even, and matchups that are considered even against MK still tend to go in MK's favor (diddy for example). And yes, Ally wins everything, good job for riding the best player in the world's bandwagon.

4. Because 1 diddy in the top 25 (adhd) really proves that diddy is really good. Last i checked he lost to tyrant too...maybe you should reread fiction:
I'm used to picking Wario at Genesis, 2-0ing my entire bracket, and then losing 2-0 to two MK's (a matchup I know better than almost ANYONE) and getting 7th....while Ally starts on the OTHER side of the bracket, 2-0s everyone, and doesnt run into an MK....until winners finals...where he loses... and is garunteed third already >_<.

Whats amusing to me is that people claim that snake is a Metaknight counter when

Razer got 9th...the only snake besides ally in the top 12, and then dsf placing 17, and he was mostly MK anyway.

Razer lost to Havok, a socal meta knight in winners and then ADHD in losers.

People say that diddy counters MK:

ADHD lost to Tyrant and AlphaZealot lost to Dojo

People say that Wario goes even with MK:

I lost to both Tyrant and Dojo

Atomsk gets people to believe that DDD and MK are even:

He lost to Havok

DEHF is one of the top MK killers in the country...

and yet he was knocked out of the tournament by Dojo after Dojo figured the matchup out.

People point out that the MK's didn't even dominate the top placings, and that they lost to players who could simply beat MK

Judge lost to Dojo and M2k

Dojo lost to DEHF and Tyrant

Tyrant lost to Ally and M2k

Teba lost to Judge and C@tnip
5. It honestly isn't used much, why?
Code:
1. Ally - Snake - $2,336
2. M2K - Meta Knight - $1,460
3. Tyrant - Meta Knight - $876
4. Dojo - Meta Knight - $584
5. ADHD - Diddy Kong - $233
6. DEHF - Falco - $175
7. Fiction - Wario - $118
8. SK92 - Falco - $59
9. Judge - Meta Knight
9. Lain - Ice Climbers/King Dedede
9. Ultimate Razer - Snake
9. UTD Zach - Game & Watch
because MK, Snake, diddy, gw, and falco are all perfectly fine as stand alone characters, but only 2 snakes got high, only 1 made money, and apparently snake counters MK, honestly, ALLY counters MK, not snake. Anti-ban should just never use Ally, and Pro-ban should never use M2K for arguments and then we might actually make some ground on this

6. Be specific so i can argue something. Tell me a game, I'll argue it, but dont give me something with many possiblities because i could cover 999 games and you'd just come back with the 1 game i didn't cover and thus disprove the argument. So tell me a game so I dont fall into this ***ty trap you're trying to pull :D.

not to mention: why should we care necesarily about other games? We aren't them, they aren't us

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Okay, let me get this straight. Are you implying that Anti-Ban wants to change something in the game?
Like, adding a patch that installs Meta Knight onto everyone's Brawl disc, because he isn't on it?
The short answer? Yes [/sarcasm]

You want the long answer? I can happily provide it.

UberMario

Smash Master
"5. All the people who voted anti-ban despise playing online."

I tried my absolute best to like online, but I still hate it.

I main A Tier (Kirby, ROB) and S Tier (Snake) :D

I'm only familiar with the MK match-up. Partial with everyone else and none with the bottom teir characters.

I didn't need a rule telling me something I already know to be true /sarcasm

Lmao

It's funny how much of this is actually true.
How is that true (Except 9 and 13)? I main Mario, have played plenty of players with amazing skill (not just with Meta, but with their other mains as well), love wi-fi,

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The short answer? Yes [/sarcasm]

You want the long answer? I can happily provide it.
Meta Knight is on the Brawl disc. He is on the game.

The Pro-Ban side desires to change something (ban Meta Knight from tournaments), therefore it's the responsibility of Pro-Ban to proof that Meta Knight is ban-worthy.
Anti-Ban actually would have nothing to do, since they want to keep that status quo.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Spadefox I thought you said you were gonna stop posting here like 30 pages ago. xD

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

The Pro-Ban side desires to change something (ban Meta Knight from tournaments), therefore it's the responsibility of Pro-Ban to proof that Meta Knight is ban-worthy.
Anti-Ban actually would have nothing to do, since they want to keep that status quo.
Well, technically, the only thing the anti-ban HAS to do is provide counter-argument to the pro-ban side. As long as they can invalidate the whole of the pro-ban argument, they're golden, but no, they don't have to provide any initial proof until the pro-ban side provides a water-tight argument with supporting evidence.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that, in this kind of debate, the opposing side traditionally doesn't have the burden of proof. Basically, the pro-side needs more evidence to support their side while, in traditional debate terms, the anti-side just has to ask for more evidence from the pro-side.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Haven't we changed a lot in tournaments?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

So...

that's a yes...?

No...?

UberMario

Smash Master
Well, technically, the only thing the anti-ban HAS to do is provide counter-argument to the pro-ban side. As long as they can invalidate the whole of the pro-ban argument, they're golden, but no, they don't have to provide any initial proof until the pro-ban side provides a water-tight argument with supporting evidence.
What hasn't been said? He's:

-part of the game
-can be gimped like any other character
-is light
-has several moves which no one uses
-has relatively sub-par air speed
-was considered D tier material (albeit for three months)
-has a grab-game which is on par with the others.
-has smash attacks which can be dodged

In that aspect, he's quite similar to other characters.

also, he has no projectiles, or other long-ranged attacks

Ironically, the stages that he doesn't fare well on (Green Greens, Bridge of Eldin, Onett)
are banned (thanks to another character).

If Green Greens was counter-pickable, Meta-Knight wouldn't always counter-ban Halberd during match-ups.

I understand that most (if not all) pro-ban people hate his high priority, multiple recoveries, and down smash, and I find that a reasonable counter to the anti-ban movement.

Chuee

Smash Hero
because MK, Snake, diddy, gw, and falco are all perfectly fine as stand alone characters, but only 2 snakes got high, only 1 made money, and apparently snake counters MK, honestly, ALLY counters MK, not snake. Anti-ban should just never use Ally, and Pro-ban should never use M2K for arguments and then we might actually make some ground on this
How can you base say this when most of the top placing Snakes, diddys, & falcos were knocked out by mostly by the top 3 mk players. No one ever said that these characters beat mk, they said that these characters have better matchups against mk than the rest of the cast.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Here's a better one for you, Avarice. Disclaimer: I am not the end-all-be-all on matchup info, and I recognize and admit this. I'll answer as best as I can, but ultimately, I won't be able to satisfy all your questions.

1. A matchup where character A's theoretical total advantages over character B equals his/her theoretical total disadvantages to said character B.

2. Can't answer that one, because I don't know matchups well enough to. I doubt there are any perfect equal matchups, though; perfection is rare.
Okay.

3. For part one, see above. For part 2, that was never an issue. Also, using Ally as an example invalidates the question since you're asking about matchups, and Ally v anyone is a player, not character, matchup.
Using Ally himself wasn't a good example, really. I was trying to say that a match-up like Snake vs. MK is close enough for the better player to win (as proven by Ally), but that alone isn't a great example either.

4. What-ifs and possibilities are irrelevant. Unless you can prove (as a Diddy-mainer yourself) that Diddy currently goes even-to-better against MK, previous trends have to take precedence over theoretical future advantages, and the previous trend over the past year+ says that no one has surpassed (significantly, anyway) MK.
Previous trends suggest that Diddy is getting better at the Diddy vs. MK match-up, as Diddy mainers have found more utilization of his moveset and styles of play (mid-ranged pressure, to be specific).

As far as theoretical future advantages go, that would make sense if Character A and Character B's metagames utilized all of the known things of their character up to that point. However, Diddy's metagame has rarely used single banana locking (something that is certainly viable at high levels of play), and hasn't utilized instant-throwing as much as possible. These are both things that are known that Diddy can do (the latter any character can do, but Diddy has more utilizations for it than most given his good glide-toss length, mobility with bananas, and banana control antics like peanut gun cancelling to z-drop, glide-toss, etc.), but are things that certain members of the Diddy boards have been pestering each other to learn and have been trying to prove the worth of learning and using at high levels of play (which can be done).

I can not (nor can anyone with any close match-up really) that Diddy vs. MK is even or better. Subjectivity is common when trying to discuss match-ups, and the only true way to know one is by intensive experience. Diddy mains have split opinions of quite a few match-ups. Not so much MK (general consensus is that it's 55-45 MK to even, with some outliers), but other match-ups such as Luigi (ranging anywhere from even or 55-45 us to 65-35 Luigi), Peach, Marth, etc.

5. I'm not going to answer this because I don't think that high-level play should be the only thing we look at. (I'll address this in a second).
IMO, it applies to mid-level play too (previous posts show me saying it isn't important in mid and especially high levels of play), but I'll get to that later.

6. Irrelevant. Other game communities are not us. We shouldn't care what they think, as long as what we do works for us.
It's not completely irrelevant. The notion for some is that a healthy competitive metagame, or a competitive metagame in general, can not exist with MK, a character with no universal bad match-ups, around. Me saying that other games, such as Melee, SFIV, SFIII: Third Strike, etc., all have characters like him match-up wise but the games have healthy competitive metagames is trying to refute this.

I'm not saying, "Don't ban MK because SFIV hasn't banned Sagat." I'm saying, "MK can exist in competitive Brawl without ruining it, just like characters like him match-up wise exist in their respective games but the games still have healthy metagames.

Now, on to the last part of 5. I don't remember ANYONE ever presenting hard evidence as to why only high-level play matters. Last time I checked, all the "proof" given was all theory and philosophy. The fact of the matter is that low- and mid-level play sustains and creates high-level play; without those lower levels, high-level play can't thrive, or even survive. A community of all low-level and mid-level play can do just fine, since that's the majority. A community without low- or mid-level play can't sustain itself and devolves to only small community stuff (try having a pot big enough to buy the plane tickets of all the pros going out of state without the low- and -mid level players buying into the pot).

The fact is that the argument that only high-level play matters in this discussion is flat out unsupported, and no one should be required to even listen to it. I know that seems akin to putting your fingers in your ear and shouting "nahnahnahnah", but, simply, no one has to even validate with a response ANY unsupported claim, and that one isn't very well supported; really, it only exists to attempt to invalidate the arguments of anyone supporting low- or mid- level players.
So I didn't include mid-level play in my response that time (namely because someone said your argument would sound much better if you took out mid-level play from the post, and I listened lol). The point still stands.

In mid to high levels of play, the character counterpick system isn't often used. When it's used, it's only to cover your main's really bad or difficult match-ups, not to put yourself in a larger advantage than your opponent when the match-up is already do-able. Go to any tournament results thread (or tournament lol), and you'll usually only see two characters at most by someone's name, maybe three, and if you check other results threads with the same players ,most likely there will be the same two characters by their name. People generally stick through their main unless they absolutely have to switch, and if they do they switch to a character that they've practiced who does well against the opponent, not a character they've only toyed with that does best against the opponent.

Most viable characters don't require a secondary character, and the characters that do require a secondary character usually only require one. (for example, Fox and Marth secondary). People generally don't know 4-5 characters well enough to actually counter-pick someone who's decent to good to really good to pro with their character.

Character match-up numbers generally count at high levels of play. You can't expect to CP D3 that you've used twice against computers and beat a competent Snake at local tournaments. Especially considering that most character boards prioritize learning top tier match-ups and difficult match-ups first, and players generally do the same. So even though that Snake vs. D3 is 55:45 or 60:40 D3 (or advantage D3, since numbers suck), the Snake will most likely know the match-up pretty well and have experience being Snake to boot, while you only toy with D3 and don't really know the match-up, just know "lol chaingrab and b-air is good too."

Counterpicking Marth against Omniswell/Hunger/Krystedez (three good Midwest Warios) won't work unless Marth is your serious secondary or you main Marth. Counterpicking Marth against that random Wario who gives you trouble but doesn't consistently make it out of pools probably won't work either (unless there's a large gap in player skill, in which case there's no point in counterpicking in the first place), as 1) You aren't good with Marth, 2) The Wario put much more time into Wario than you did Marth, and 3) The Wario probably knows the actual match-up, while you just know a number.

That's why I say that the character counterpick system isn't important or used enough at mid to high levels of play for it to matter if MK has a disadvantageous match-up. The only people actually winning the match-up would be people who main the character or seriously secondary them, and even then, 45-55 match-ups are easily doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom