• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I'm on to something here guys.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Today, I came home, sat, and wanted to help advance the metagame for one of my characters. I started thinking about what I could possibly do, and instead of trying to "grow a basketball out of the ground", I decided to look into what Techniques I could possibly expand upon, and form new things out of. I came across LHL (Ledge Hopped Lasers).

As most of you know, LHL has its uses, but is rarely used. I've also done a little searching on SWF, and on Youtube, and I've never seen this used before. Hopefully this technique can advance Falco's metagame. I now present to you, THE

LHL-IBG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNWnh-47Dw

0:14- 1st Occurence of the tech.
0:37- Range at which the tech will NOT work.
0:47- Optimal range to perform the tech.

As you can see, I simply use the low landing lag and hitstun from a LHL to link an IBG in. With that being said, I was also able to subsititute a Boost Smash for the IBG, which reached the outside tip of the middle diamond on FD. Which then led me to find out that you can do ANY move out of an LHL, even an Hyphen Smash.

Discuss.

Side Note: It is substantially quicker to Dash Attack out of the LHL. It has almost as much range as the Boost Smash I performed. If you're looking to punish, this'd be your best bet.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
What characters just stand there/allow a Falco to just Laser out like that.

This isn't a flame, it's just a smart player is sooo much faster than that, I will try this though.

I do see a IAP being used after thee laser, since it's faster and keeps Falco quick.

Denzi

Smash Master
i think you mean RB(P)G (Reverse Boost (Pivot) Grab), right?

anyways, if you're close enough to pull this off, it would probably just be better (more damaging) to land, grab/jab -> grab, dthrow, and then reverse the CG. just saying. It'd be helpful when they're between 25 -40%, but it's still pretty situational.

Maybe people will see some more use from this. I admit, I never really gave this much thought at all, but after the idea was actually put forward I see some general uses for this in a "mindgame". One is most notiably free recovery whenever you grab the ledge.

Most people phantasm from the ledge into the opponent to get back on stage, well we all know that gets expected and people distance themselves correctly, well with that idea you can use the laser to go back onto the stage to stun them and you phantasm in the lagless part after the laser and your opponent is like "What the heck just happened!"

But, yeah, apart from adding a bit of variety into the metagame, not really going to do much, IMO.

Saltix

Smash Lord
this isnt a tech. its just a combination of two techs. similiar to SHDL - Boost Smash.
Alright, fine. While it isn't a tech of it's own, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Maybe people will see some more use from this. I admit, I never really gave this much thought at all, but after the idea was actually put forward I see some general uses for this in a "mindgame". One is most notiably free recovery whenever you grab the ledge.

Most people phantasm from the ledge into the opponent to get back on stage, well we all know that gets expected and people distance themselves correctly, well with that idea you can use the laser to go back onto the stage to stun them and you phantasm in the lagless part after the laser and your opponent is like "What the heck just happened!"

But, yeah, apart from adding a bit of variety into the metagame, not really going to do much, IMO.
Eh. I see what you're getting at. I didn't really add other options into the video, but like I said, you can link any other attack in from this. In addition to the IBG, Boost smashing and IAPing after the lasers would be the best options IMO.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I find this useful. This basically reminds me of Falco's LHL > Shine in Melee but the boost grab is used in it's place. But this isn't something that you should always do. Still, nice find OcTIX. And this looks like it's a guarantee if you hit with both lasers that hit real low, that way they get stuck with more stun and you're closer to the ground which means it cancels right after. Also, next time try to use this a littler faster ok?

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
it's nice, and I agree with Kismet2. but anway, nothing should be repeated a lot in the edge because if it gets predictable ur done for.

I'll try to use it in some matches to see against which characters this works better

Saltix

Smash Lord
I find this useful. This basically reminds me of Falco's LHL > Shine in Melee but the boost grab is used in it's place. But this isn't something that you should always do. Still, nice find OcTIX. And this looks like it's a guarantee if you hit with both lasers that hit real low, that way they get stuck with more stun and you're closer to the ground which means it cancels right after. Also, next time try to use this a littler faster ok?
Exactly. This shouldn't be used too much, but when it is used, it could be used for many things: setups(IBG), Kills (Boost Smash), Punishing (IAP or Dash attack).

Would you guys say this helps Falco's ledge game? I feel LHL wasn't used enough, and the whole ledge phantasm was being used TOO much.
As far as speed goes, I'm pretty bad at buffering lol.

There is also something else I'm going to try, and I can upload a new video if the new thing I want to try works, as well as the LHL-Boost Smash/IAP.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I tried the LHL (I used two lasers this time, however) into an IAP on Battlefield.
I got Falco's back foot on the outside of the left side circle. Almost entirely across BF.

I think this is a good recovery method, because the two low-to-the-ground lasers cover Falco's stage recovery, combined with the speed+low ending lag from the IAP. This should be used sparingly IMO.

L=Ledge F=Falco's Foot C=Circle

L__FC______C__F

Top Bottom