• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to 'Dorf that move? 'How to deal with specific attacks' - IKE'S JAB

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How to 'Dorf that move?

(How to effectively deal with a specific attack)

Attack database

* Mach Tornado
* Samus's Zair
* Blizzard
* Marth's Fair
* Ike's Jab

Mach Tornado

.......................( Bat stole my move! )..........................................................
....................../......................................................................................

Grounded 'Nado / Aerial 'Nado

Grounded version (When MK press the B-button 1 single time)
If a 'Nado is connected to the ground (mostly right after MK started it from the ground) it can be canceled out by certain attacks.
Let's say you use Ftilt to conter attack it... If you hit only the hitboxes of the sword,
the 'Nado will be canceled out.
If your Ftilt hits MK's hurtbox, MK will be sent flying with a 13% damage matk in his forehead.
Most MK's won't use this version at all, since they know how easily it gets canceled out/counter attacked.

Aerial version (When MK mashes the B-button)
This version is a *****. It can't be canceled out due to its "aerial attributes".
Let's say you use the upangeled Fsmash... If you hit only the hitboxes of the sword,
the 'Nado will eat the hurtbox of your elbow (suck you in) since it can't be canceled out.
If your Upangeled Fsmash hits MK's hurtbox, MK will recieve a painful 26% portion of damage.
This is the version we should concentrate the most on. It's way more effective than the grounded one.
Most good MK's will almost never even use the other version.

But what if Ganon too uses an aerial attack?..
Well, if you Fair, and the Fair connects with the hitboxes of the sword, neither of the attacks will get
canceled out due to their "aerial attributes".
So, in this case it's a matter of who gets hit first; and since Ganon's hurtbox travels along with his Fair, MK wins the duel -_-

Attacks you can use to hit Metaknight while he is 'Nadoing
Counter attack a grounded 'Nado with
* Dtilt - It'll only cancel it out if you're too far away. Aim at MK, not the Tornado.
* Ftilt - A solid way of beating it. Keep you head cool and kick him for a nice 13%.
* Fsmash - A well timed Fsmash >>> 'Nado, though the timing can be a little difficult.
* Dash attack - The DA works surpsingly well. It digs its way straight to MK. Sometimes it just cancels it out though.
* Dair - It's a little tricky to hit right in the middle of the 'Nado.
* Fair - If properly spaced, it'll leave a 17% stample in MK's forehead.
* Pivot grab - It can be a little hard to time it right, but it's effective when you get the hang of it.
* Aerial Wizkick - it digs its way through; litteraly.
* Usmash - It works, but Fsmash works much better.

Counter attack the aerial 'Nado with (Again, this version is a *****)
*Usmash - You'll enjoy hitting MK's rear end with your big foot.
* Fsmash - It's decent. Usmash actually works better on this version.
* Ftilt - Again, it's a solid counter attack.
* Dair - You must hit the top center of it.
* Wizkick - It won't dig its way through this verison. You must hit the top center.
* Pivot grab - Works pretty well. But it'll miss (Verticaly) if MK's body is too high up.
As you can see, not many attacks can be used to counter the aerial 'Nado.

Attacks you can use to hit Metaknight after you've shielded the 'Nado
Punish a grounded 'Nado with (Assuming the MK DI away, at the end of it)
* Dash attack - A very effective way of dealing 16% damage.
* Dtilt/tiny step + Dtilt - Use this if you want to save the power of the DA.

Punish the aerial 'Nado with (Assuming the MK DI away, at the end of it)
* Gerudo + follow up - Probably the best way to punish it.
* Pivot Fsmash/Salmon Smash - You'll have to judge if it'll reach or not. However, great damage.

When you're falling down and the 'Nado is under you.
You'll just get caught in the 'Nado if you try to airdodge.
Couter attack it with a Dair or aerial Wizkick.
If you haven't used up your doublejump, it can help a bit.

Frame data
MACH TORNADO

minimum time frame breakdown:
1-11 startup
12-58 hitbox out
59-87 cooldown (this is a grounded nado)

maximum time frame breakdown
1-11 startup
12-104 hitbox out

Cooldown: this is interesting. Cooldown will ALWAYS be 29 frames. Landing lag adjusts to this. So if your nado ends in midair and you free fall for 10 frames your landing lag will be 19 frames. The botched up landing is 30 frames.
Quotes:

• Can be SDI'd out of, but you need your 2nd jump. From there you may be able to get a free dair. (Did I mention this jump has the chance of going like 3x higher then normal? I think you actually footstool MK during the tornado..... just SDI up+away and mash jump.
A grounded move that does 10 or more damage pierces through the tornado hitbox and continue with the rest of the motion with the hitbox still being active. For example you can dash attack through the bottom of an aerial tornado. Even though you won't hit him if he his high enough it still clanks with the tornado and continues on. Only aerials have to hit MK without hitting his aerial tornado hitbox. Aerials will clank with the aerial tornado and continue with the motion but the hitbox will deactivate.
ftilt ftilt ftilt ftilt 1000 times ftilt
Special thx to SmashBrosForce for beeing my MK-test-dummy.

Samus's Zair

Approaching
SHAD along with walk+Power Shield are your best bets.

Normal shielding is OK, but don't rely on it.
(It drains your shield, and you'll eventually get shield stabbed -> grabbed)

Spotdoging is great, as long as Samus doesn't mix missiles into the recipe.

Don't roll towards Samus; a good Samus will be on her toes to punish you.
(You can roll towards her if you're very far away though.
But try sticking to your SHAD's)

NEVER roll away in favor of avoiding it, you'll only reset the scenario -_-
If you for some reason have to retreat, use a retreating SHAD.

How to punish
Good luck..
The Zair itself is almost impossible to punish, since it auto cancels.
If however we successfully DO punish it, it's a mistake by the Samus player.
So forget about punishing the actual Zair.

Avoid the Zair, get up close, and punish/counter attack the attack that Samus uses to greet you, when you're too close for her to Zair you.

Examlpe:
- Samus fires the Zair
- You advance with SHAD
- She uses Dtilt when you get too close
- You shield it and then Jab/Dtilt

Fortunately Samus's grab is pretty slow, so shielding isn't too risky when your right next to her after making your way though the Zair Storm.

Zair edgeguarding
Not much to say here.
If Samus hits you with the Zair while you're recovering from far away, you'll have a very hard time getting back.

Don't waste your Double Jump if you don't have to.
And don't let her STEAL it by Zair'ing you the split second after you've used it.

These can help you
  • Air dodging
  • Double jumping
  • Fast falling
  • DI up as you get sent off stage.

Frame data
Sourspot = 5
Tipper = 9
Ends at frame 50
Landing lag = LOL

Quotes:
Don't mindlessly shield them or else you'll get punished silly.
Blizzard

Single/double Blizzard(s)
SDI while shielding can get you close enough to Jab 'em as the Blizzard(s) end.

Aerial down+B/Stomp is effective if the IC's Short Hop it, or if it's grounded.

If they full jump it, you can roll under them and them Fsmash/Stomp them from behind.

Desync'd Blizzards (Expect a lot of these from pro IC's)
Well, since Ganondorf doesn't have a projectile, the IC's can perform their
'Desync Techniques/Attacks' without even the smallest chance of loosing their concentration.

The only attack we can reach them with is our Utilt, but we'll most likely get punished big time
if we use it more than once.
One possibility though is that it could force the IC's into regrouping in fear of getting struck by its crazy power.

Let's face it... Desync'd Blizzards ***** us 99% of the times.
We can only wait for the opponent to make a mistake >_>
Or annoy the hell out if him by Ledge Stalling.

Frame data
First Hitbox comes out at frame 16.

Quotes:
If you're up against desynch blizzard, you can 'Dorf the move by sparta kicking them in their crotch irl, otherwise you lose. If they DON'T desynch them, you can run into them and SDI close while in your shield (but far enough away to wear they can't grab you before you can tilt/jab).
Marth's Fair

We can't really punish Marth's Fair after we've taken it on our shield, nor if we spotdodge it.
But we can predict it and counter it, if the hitbox of our attack reaches him before his Fair reaches us; try iDA.
We can also punish some of the attacks that Marth uses after the FAir(s)

Sadly, this is pretty much all we can do ;\

Frame data
Hit: 4-8
End: 34
SH Fair Lag: 8
SH Fair Fast Falled Lag: 3

Quotes:

Let both fairs hit your shield and see what he does. Does he D tilt? next time jump out after both fairs hit and thunderstorm him while he's trying to poke your legs.
Susa: Fsmash can work against an fair that for some reason wasn't retreated. The slight movement backwards can cause the fair to miss you, and then you hit.

It's not reliable at all, but it is an option.

A rather stupid option.

But an option.

PhantomX: You'd be surprised how often a stutter stepped fsmash will hit/trade hits with someone trying to approach with fairs... really not that dumb of an option if you're spaced correctly and have predicted it. Pretty dumb to just randomly throw it out there, though.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Hey Ziggy, it's good to see ya!

As for dealing with Mach Tomato, I'd have to say that your best bets are all in front of you. Literally. Fair, ftilt, and Fsmash all go right through the leading edge if you time them well, and uair can beat it out from below. You can, of course, thunderstorm it if they mess it up, but that's way too hard.

SuSa

Banned via Administration

• Can be SDI'd out of, but you need your 2nd jump. From there you may be able to get a free dair. (Did I mention this jump has the chance of going like 3x higher then normal? I think you actually footstool MK during the tornado..... just SDI up+away and mash jump.
  • I am unsure about ftilt/dtilt, but I know fsmash hits MK out of it. If for some stupid reason he tries to approach with it, time an fsmash to hit him.
  • Wizkick may also work? No idea...

My only input.

EDIT:
I got ninja'd

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
As SaltyKracka said:
F-air, F-Tilt and F-smash are the best way.

Z1GMA, make this test:

When the Mach Tornado is performed behind you to hit you, you stay standing back to the Tornado and Grab. Its a way to Block... I'm not sure... It worked one time when I played with a Friend a 2 months Ago.

Nice Stuff Z1GMA !

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ftilt it, Fsmash it if you're quick... if he's already started it just shield and tilt your shield up. You can buffer a dash attack after if they haven't spaced it too far and punish pretty much anything.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I've seen a sexy spaced B-air hit a MK or of tornado, It seems pretty difficult but its possible, just thought i would throw that into the mix

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
ANYTHING we used can hit MK out of nado as long as we hit MK in the middle either at the same time as we get hit by the nado hitbox or before we get hit by it. Only a few moves will always win vs it.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I've tried u-air many many times and it has always failed for me.
D-air has worked maybe once out of 50 tries. Same with down-b.
I've had some success with u-smash.
I've had pretty good consequences from f-smash.
I've had even better outcomes from just running away.

D-tilt works if he gives you the chance to hit him with it.
Don't jab.
Don't d-smash.
Good luck grabbing him out of it >.> I'd love to see that.
U-tilt does not work at all.
Don't use choke.
Don't use aerials at all.

In fact, most of Ganon's options suck against the tornado, unsurprisingly.
I'd stick with u-smash, f-smash, f-tilt, and d-tilt if you don't have room or time to get away.
My favorite options are, in order: run away and punish, attack with any of those four attacks listed prior to this sentence, shield.

Shielding usually doesn't put me in a good spot when I'm being tornado-ed but it's better than A) not doing anything (derp) or B) trying any other move then my prime four without perfect timing and spacing.

Getting caught in the tornado never works out for Ganon.

stRIP

Smash Ace
Fulljump dair

no joke

old story: Tham (a Jiggs mainer) made his pound everytime i tried to dair him. so he started to use rising pund against me and Rising Pound>Dair

Then i used fulljump dair and it works

To lazy to test it right now, but if the metaknight is trying to approach with his nado...DO A BIG JUMP AND MELT HIS FACE WITH THUNDER

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ftilt it, Fsmash it if you're quick... if he's already started it just shield and tilt your shield up. You can buffer a dash attack after if they haven't spaced it too far and punish pretty much anything.
That's what I mostly end up doing - Shield -> Dash attack.

-------

A smart MK can start the 'Nado, bait you into using an attack, and then punish your attack with the very same 'Nado.

:034:

Smash Hero
Flying Dutchman,

I used Pivot Grab one time a few months ago and worked.

Pivot Grab really works to Block the Tornado ?

I think is a little bit Hard to perform...
Yeah, I believe a pivot grab from every character can grab MK out of it. Even Ganondorf.

Also, if you space it right, bair can hit through tornado. I saw it in a video, though I'm not sure which one it is again...

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Yeah, I believe a pivot grab from every character can grab MK out of it. Even Ganondorf.

Also, if you space it right, bair can hit through tornado. I saw it in a video, though I'm not sure which one it is again...
I think Pivot Grab, If performed correctly, can be very useful.

Pivot Grab -> F-Throw (Good To Punish Tornado?)

I like a lot to Block the Tornado with Pivot Grab... Stylish method to Dorf this move;)

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
I always wiz kick form above, not sure how competitively viable that is, works wonders for me when I can get in position that is

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Wizards Kick really work to Block Mach Tornado?

I Don't Think so...

Anyway...

I'll test how WizKick work.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
A lot of these require that you be way above the MK when he starts nado-ing, which, to be frank, is most likely not going to be the case.

And yes, theoretically you can pivot grab him out of nado every time due to hte increased vertical range on pivot grabs... in practice it's another story.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Aerial Wizkicking is your best bet. Just time it perfectly, and kill Metaknight right out of his nado.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
How is an option that requires perfect timing and perfect spacing the "best bet" against a move with so much maneuverability?

:034:

Smash Hero
How is an option that requires perfect timing and perfect spacing the "best bet" against a move with so much maneuverability?
Agreed with this, your best bet in practice is probably to shield and move around your shield to prevent shield stabbing. If you have the time, you can attempt an ftilt which supposedly beats this, I've never been able to do this before though..

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
It doesn't really require perfect timing, it's quite easy to pull off actually.

FH > DJ > Aerial Wizkick is all you really need to do.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Except you need to hit MK OUT OF THE MIDDLE of the tornado, while the thing has disjointed hitboxes flying a million and one directions, and he can raise it and fall it and move it left and right, whereas your wizkick only has one angle to travel at.

I've also found that Ftilt really only works if you hit with like... the very tip of it (and in the small part of the nado) where it seems to have a little disjointedness

@HomE

Smash Ace
I would say the best option would be to runaway/shield. I'd say that 80% of the time taking the risk trying to hit him out of the nado will just result in us being damaged and put into a very bad position.

Ultimatly it probably comes down to the situation, if there is a somewhat clear opening and you are feeling lucky go for it, if you have time or space to shield/get away, i personally would run the **** away..

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Aerial Wizkicking is your best bet. Just time it perfectly, and kill Metaknight right out of his nado.
You're Right Kalm !

When I made my practices, I used Normal / Aerial WizKick and the Aerial WizKick was the Best Bet....

Aerial Wizkick can be Useful to Block and Kill in High Percents.

Hey guys,

How about Run Away/Shield -> Punish MK with Flame-Choke -> Jab ?

It can be useful ?

qerkdtx

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been said but meta's open up top. So a stomp/areial wizkick right to the middle can stop it

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I always use Down-B against the Tornado. Since usually Metaknight likes to start it up from outside your spacing range, and I don't like to time tilts or aerials.

ItemfinderDeluxe

Smash Cadet
If MK approaches you horizontally whilst you're both in the air, is it possible to N-Air the 'Nado? Or do you jusr get out-prioritised like almost everything else in the game?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If MK approaches you horizontally whilst you're both in the air, is it possible to N-Air the 'Nado? Or do you jusr get out-prioritised like almost everything else in the game?
Me and SBF did some research on the 'Nado.
And no, Nair doesn't stand a chance against a aerial 'Nado.
Though it cancels out a grounded 'Nado surprisingly well.
But which MKs stick to the ground with the 'Nado anyways?.. -_-

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Me and SBF did some research on the 'Nado.
And no, Nair doesn't stand a chance against a aerial 'Nado.
Though it cancels out a grounded 'Nado surprisingly well.
But which MKs stick to the ground with the 'Nado anyways?.. -_-
We made useful tests.

I think N-air is a bad option to Block 'Nado. By the way, it blocks the Grounded form.

Z1GMA used a Jab to Stop and its possible to perform a little Combo:
Jab (Stop 'Nado) -> D-Tilt (F-Tilt, Wizkick),
I guess...

Z1GMA,

Its possible to Stop the 'Nado and immediately perform a combo ?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Z1GMA,
Its possible to Stop the 'Nado and immediately perform a combo ?
No, MK will most likely be able to move before you can, after the attacks clashes. (At least he has quicker options after the clash)

Yes, canceling out the 'Nado with Wizkick -> buffered Dtilt is great; it's just that that a good MK never stays grounded while 'Nadoing - making it impossible to cancel his 'Nado out ;\

I was surprised over how well DA worked against the grounded one though O_o

Top Bottom