• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Iron Brawl I - Reflex, M2K - Unity Ruleset

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit

Come to the first semi-annual Smash battle royal between the Brawlers of the University of Alabama and Auburn University! This event is going to be an all-out Super Smash Bros. tournament featuring Brawl, Melee, and even Smash 64 tournaments! The excitement then culminates in an epic UA vs AU Brawl crew battle at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if you are attending either school or not; if you are into Smash, you definitely won't want to miss this.

At our venue, we will have access to both floors of the Riverside Community Center. To take advantage of this, the first floor will have setups that are dedicated to friendlies and money matches, and the top floor will be strictly for the tournament. If you have a lull between matches, go down to the first floor and have fun!

Schedule

8am-10am : 64 Registration
10am-1pm : 64 Brackets
12pm-2pm : Melee registration and lunch
2pm-3pm : Melee pools
3pm-6pm : Melee brackets
5pm-6pm : Brawl registration
6pm-7pm : Brawl pools
7pm-10pm : Brawl brackets
10pm-11pm : Crew battle -The Iron Brawl-

Cost and Payouts

There will be a $5 door fee (meaning you will have to pay $5 to participate in any of the events), and each event will cost $10 to enter. If you bring a set-up (a full set-up is a TV, Wii, and a copy of Brawl/Melee), you won't have to pay the $5 door fee. PLEASE BRING SET-UPS!! Even if you don't have a full set-up, bring anything you can!

Payouts will be to the top 4-6, depending on how many people actually participate in each tournament.

The crew battle is free to enter for those in the UA and AU crews and is purely for bragging rights.

Rulesets

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Ruleset
*NOTE: We are using the new "Unity Ruleset"

1. 3 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. All infinites are legal.
  5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
  6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.
Order of Play:
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​
Brawl Stage List

Neutral:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
-Battleship Halberd
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pictochat
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Rainbow Cruise

Melee Ruleset

1. 4 stock
  2. 8 minute timer(In time out, winner is determined by stock left, then by percentage damage. In case of a tie by both stock and percentage, the game will be replayed)
  3. no items
  4. no wobbles
  5. no excessive stalling
  6. Dave's Stupid Rule: You may not counter-pick to a stage you have already won on. Keep track of this.
  7. regular sets best of 3, winner's/loser's/grand finals are best of 5
  8. In the event of controller port rage, Ro-Sham-Bo will be played.(that is, rock-paper-scissors)
  9. In case of any other dispute, get one of our TOs
  10. If both players agree, you may change or play with any rules you like, but make sure one of our TOs knows about it, and make sure it gets changed back to the default afterward. If either player disagrees, the default rules will be used.
Order of Play:

1. Blind Picks character selection.*
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

*If you need or want a guaranteed double-blind pick, call one of our TOs over.

Melee Stage List

Neutrals:
-Fountain of Dreams
-Dream Land
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
-Pokemon Stadium
-Brinstar
-Rainbow Cruise
-Kongo Jungle

Super Smash Bros. 64 Ruleset

1. 5 stock
  2. Items OFF
  3. All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
  4. All characters are legal. Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player may reset the match without penalty if they wish for a color change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.
Order of Play:

1. Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  2. Rock Paper Scissors used to determine first player to strike.
  3. Players take turns striking 2 of the 3 Neutral Stages.
  4. The first match is played.
  5. The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Neutral Stage and Counterpick Stage Lists.
  6. The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  7. The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Steps 5-8 are repeated if necessary.

Setup Rules:
Setup options are console, Wii, and laptop/PC. All console requests have priority, unless a lagless laptop is open with working 64 adapters. Other controllers (gamecube, xbox, keyboard, etc.) are permitted, however each controller user is expected to provide relevant adapters and drivers.

64 Stage List

Neutral Stages:
-Hyrule Castle
-Dreamland
-Congo Jungle

Counterpick:
-Peach's Castle

Confirmed From Each Crew

UA Crew

Ingulit
JMIX
Da Bomb
TAKER
WUMPS
SpamBananas
Pruitt
Tide
R&B
Vyse (?)

AU Crew

Cam

The Venue

The venue will be the Riverside Community Center at the University of Alabama. Those of you who went to the previous Tuscaloosa Competitive Smash tournaments will know right where to go, as this is the same venue! I'm going to copy/paste the directions from the TCS7 thread:

Venue: Riverside Community Center

Address:
706 Riverside Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

That address may not be on google maps or mapquest for some reason, so here is the address to a building right near it.

Rose Towers
140 Hackberry Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

For those that are coming from out of town, this map might help. The address is listed in the event info for Google Maps purposes, but really all you need to do is go I-20 West if your coming from/through GA/B'ham, or I-20 East if you're coming from/through Mississppi. and get off on Exit 73/Mcfarland Blvd--turn right (if you're coming from b'ham---left if you're coming from Mississippi) onto Mcfarland, and go straight for a mile or two, until you reach the Jack Warner Pkwy Exit. (you will pass the University Blvd and Campus Dr. exits)...the Jack Warner exit is a deep curve that splits into two, you want to take the curve on the right-hand side...then you will be at the upper-right hand area of the map I've provided above. Follow the purple line. Turn onto hackberry lane, it is at a stop light.. After that take the first left, you will see Rose Towers to your left (building 204 on the map). Riverside is to your right...and the building the tournament is being held at (the yellow dot with the black X/building 141) is behind the building that you initially see on the right when you turn in. The purple circles are the ideal parking places. On weekends, you won't get ticketed unless you park in a spot that isn't a real parking spot (like in the grass), or in a handicapped spot. Also avoid faculty (green) spots, i'm not sure if they ticket you for parking there, but to be on the safe side, try to avoid them. Use the map to find the building
Please note that we are still working out some details (obvious ones like the exact schedule, and other smaller details like getting a livestream up for the event), and this information will be edited in soon! The date, registration time, and venue are guaranteed.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
whats gonna happen if i win this cuz i probably am not gonna get out of pools. :o

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Cam confirmed. Now Ing, you can put my name in the thread title and take out that other guy who I assume was there for filler.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
:T Plenty of other tournament listings do that too. I'll take it out if you're going to make fun of me for it ._.
I'm not making fun of you; I'm making fun of Luis, who knows that I like to poke fun at him for being the best in the state.

Wumpus King

Smash Cadet
I'd just like to add that the door fees we take up are going towards equipment for the UA crew's weeklies and future tournaments.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I already moved SALT2 to this day so that the Auburn tournament wouldn't get in the way, any way you can change the date to another time?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I already moved SALT2 to this day so that the Auburn tournament wouldn't get in the way, any way you can change the date to another time?
No, this is pretty set in stone. I asked if there were any other tournaments happening around this time, and nobody mentioned SALT2 :\ EDIT 2: Actually, it's looking like this might be possible. I'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: Yeah, I just saw your post about SALT2. I'm not sure if we can book another weekend, but I'll see what I can do.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
It's both melee and brawl. And you can include me (Tide) and R&B will be there with some fists-o-fury.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay, in lieu of SALT2 happening the weekend of April 9th, we are considering moving the date to the following weekend (the 16th). This is very tentative, but we should know if we can move the date or not by tomorrow.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
16th huh? Seems pretty doable. Looking forward to seeing the UA crew again.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
The 64 Ruleset has been posted! Also, we have been allowed to reserve both the first AND second floor of our venue for the Iron Brawl, and in lieu of this we are making the first floor a dedicated friendly/money match room and the second floor strictly tournament matches. If there is a lull between your matches, go down to the first floor and have some fun!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
whoa two floors seems pretty kickass
dude two floors is gonna be ****ing amazing.

Winnar

Smash Lord
man you guys are going to flip your **** when you find out MSU is using three floors

But yes I'll almost definitely be here!

This is right around finals though so that's the only reason I can't commit completely

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lmao floor hyyyyyyyyype!
dude ill have a tournament with 5 floors.
raise me or fold winnar?

Winnar

Smash Lord
Ryan, you need to top them... four floors.
Top myself? lol

I'm hosting MSU

Also Slam

I call.

Man I'm going to have to find some like 20 story building and host a tournament on all the floors

Call it Elevator Tumble or something

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Also, we have been allowed to reserve both the first AND second floor of our venue for the Iron Brawl, and in lieu of this we are making the first floor a dedicated friendly/money match room and the second floor strictly tournament matches. If there is a lull between your matches, go down to the first floor and have some fun!
This is a great idea :cool:

Hopefully the UA crew can come to Ausum 3D. I'd like to see this AU vs UA crew battle happen more often :)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
A few, and we're going to try to get a bunch of cheap CRTs for setups that other people are (hopefully) bringing. Again, we're waving the door fee for anyone who brings a setup of 64, Melee, or Brawl.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
A few, and we're going to try to get a bunch of cheap CRTs for setups that other people are (hopefully) bringing. Again, we're waving the door fee for anyone who brings a setup of 64, Melee, or Brawl.
You need to have a great surplus of set-ups if you're going to split two rooms like that. :/

I'm just worried that we'll have ~four TVs to do the tournament with as a result.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
We've been talking about that, and the tournament room holds significantly higher priority in terms of set-ups than the friendlies/MM room. We're going to make sure we have enough tourney setups to ensure things run smoothly before we start putting excess setups downstairs.

EDIT: This is also why we are considering buying some cheap CRTs, as that way people can just bring their 64/Gamecube/Wii without bringing a TV (which will hopefully result in more people bringing stuff).

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Top myself? lol

I'm hosting MSU

Also Slam

I call.

Man I'm going to have to find some like 20 story building and host a tournament on all the floors

Call it Elevator Tumble or something
Is your name also Ryan? I was talking to Ingulit.

Top Bottom