• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not By DI Alone Doth Man Survive: Holy House III -Bloomington IN *February 6th*

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Hmmm, I just noticed that the 4th MSC event is also supposed to happen on this date. There's not a thread up for it though, just a date listed in the circuit thread. I'm hoping the date is just tentative, because I really want to come to this!

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'm gonna push for Big Blue to be a CP. It'd be fun, plus, I think we've come to the consensus that the road on that stage is no worse than the water in Japes (plus, there no freakin claptrap)

Jayford

Smash Lord
EDIT: NVM, I just noticed that the tourney starts at 11:30, not 10:00 lol.

I can bring a set up that also has SSB64 on the Wii.

There is a pretty good chance I am coming to this. Assuming the weather permits.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
What are we Street Fighter 2 and Japanese?

Look out for updated OP with 64 rules. They aren't gonna be super official backroom rules because we aren't all 0-death 64 pros but it won't get ridiculous.
Just make sure that if you're bring Smash 64 on VC that you have item rules unlocked!

Jayford

Smash Lord
Nope, were not smart enough, and that's why this game stays character dependent. Nobody wants to wise up and the same people just take advantage and make money off it.

LOL at the idea of soft bans.

Hey guys don't play Akuma or OG Sagat or we'll think you're mean :(. Either ban something completely or don't get mad at people for playing a character.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
Or you could just stop playing

Tell me when you can come up with a way to get Characters banned...

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Win every tournament with the broken character then. In Indiana, people typically win with diddy kong (count), snake (renegade), and wario (Krystedez?). Since those characters are constantly winning in Indiana, diddy kong, snake, and wario should obviously be banned from this tournament.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
nope, just snake metaknight and ice climbers.

If those three didn't exist then renegade would still be dominating everyone as Ike.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
Win every tournament with the broken character then.
If I were to start playing this again competatively I would main Ic's and just infinite chaingrab...

Why should I learn matchups to beat someone worse than me? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
If I were to start playing this again competatively I would main Ic's and just infinite chaingrab...
IC's chaingrab is no sure way to win. There are plenty of good players out there who know what moves they WILL NOT use against the IC to avoid getting grabbed whenever possible. Even though a good IC will know when and how to grab, there is still a good deal of things you can do/not do to avoid the situation. Also keeping an IC CG can be difficult. Even Lain gets the timing wrong more than once a match.

No matter how broken any character might seem in brawl, none of them are absolutely unbeatable. Top ranked MKs, Snakes, Diddys, ect.... get beat all the time. and low tier characters do win tournaments ( boss for example just won a major EC tourny with mario/luigi).

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
I don't disagree with that, but I want to point out you just mentioned tiers. Recognizing tiers shows you also agree some characters are better than others. You could be the best Captain Falcon and win every tournament but all that will prove to me is how significantly better you are than everyone using the broken chars. Boss basically won boss fight after boss fight to win a tournament, at the same time proving how much better he is than everyone else there. It becomes an issue of pride, I stopped playing because I knew that as long as I played the characters I loved, I wasn't winning anything. Renegade is a pretty good example of this, switching from Ike to Snake no matter how much he loves Ike. Winning as a low tier character doesn't Prove character balance, it shows real skill.

"Even Lain gets the timing wrong more than once a match."
Exactly my point

Count

Smash Champion
Are people still talking about meta knight? Look at tournament results, hes not broken.

And also, ren would not be winning tournaments with ike if mk didn't exist. He would do very well, but tons of characters beat ike, its just mk decimates him. I think ren would even admit this.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
Are people still talking about meta knight? Look at tournament results, hes not broken.

And also, ren would not be winning tournaments with ike if mk didn't exist. He would do very well, but tons of characters beat ike, its just mk decimates him. I think ren would even admit this.
Of course Ren admits it! he switched characters because of it! Your contradicting yourself bro...

tournament results?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261075
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261175
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261043
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261101

your only room to stand is boss as luigi... but as I previously stated, that only shows he's good, Luigi isn't any better a character for it

Whats up Lain? I miss setting down my controller and raging while you CG :bee:

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
It becomes an issue of pride, I stopped playing because I knew that as long as I played the characters I loved, I wasn't winning anything. Renegade is a pretty good example of this, switching from Ike to Snake no matter how much he loves Ike. Winning as a low tier character doesn't Prove character balance, it shows real skill.

"Even Lain gets the timing wrong more than once a match."
Exactly my point
I played Yoshi in melee, arguably the worst character in the entire game. I placed the same using yoshi as I did using sheik, ic, and fox, somewhere around the middle. Winning with yoshi didn't show any more or less of my skill, he just happened to be my best character.

I play metaknight in brawl. I place somewhere around the middle with them. MK is my best character, and it doesn't show I have more skill. Most of the people that I am capable of beating with mk, I am just as capable with gw, peach, and fox.

Just use your best character and enter the tournaments and have fun. If your favorite isn't your best, then you know what is coming. If you come and I face you, if you use IC I won't use mk.

If you do come and don't use IC, I may just go IC and attempt to chain grab you just for kicks and giggles.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Lol, MK isn't broken. He's just a really good character. The reason he's more prominent in tourney results than other S-tier characters is that his metagame is easier to pick up. (Not to take anything away from the MK players. He's easier to pick up than the other S-tiers in my opinion, but still difficult to master. Other S-tiers are hard to pick up and hard to master.)

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
No offense Rob because I wish it were as easy as just playing the game and having fun. Making the point that you main metaknight or yoshi or any other character, and your not winning tournaments, doesn't disprove anything, it just means your not that great.

Note: Please for the love of god if your going to try to argue with me stop using the term tiers! you cant say oh metaknight isn't the best then go on to say he's S-Tier... By acknowledging Tiers your agreeing characters aren't balanced...

"he reason he's more prominent in tourney results than other S-tier characters is that his metagame is easier to pick up."
I never said this was solely an anti-metaknight argument. I said metaknight snake and IC's

No offense Rob because I wish it were as easy as just playing the game and having fun. Making the point that you main metaknight or yoshi or any other character, and your not winning tournaments, doesn't disprove anything, it just means your not that great.

Note: Please for the love of god if your going to try to argue with me stop using the term tiers! you cant say oh metaknight isn't the best then go on to say he's S-Tier... By acknowledging Tiers your agreeing characters aren't balanced...
;| Kinryu MK isnt banned because hes not that overwhelming, he has more options out of all his moves, his worst move is his Down-B and even then it has a banned glitch because of it, yes theres all sorts of unbalanced things, like snakes weight (while it makes sense he weighs a ton) makes him ridiculous for ANY character because it makes him that much harder to kill, its a matter of time before the community as a whole develops and adapts which is why we use the term "Metagame" which is used to explain the constantly changing and advancing of the game.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Explain how there is a contradiction between acknowledging MK's current tier status and disputing that he's a broken character.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
in a game where this type of stuff happens, you either learn how to defeat it (in brawl, you use a different character >_>), or you move on to the next game, and eventually find one that is good for you.

I'm going to this by the way <3.

Count

Smash Champion
Ha, I'm done arguing with people who don't know what they're talking about.

Ally using snake, adhd using diddy, DEHF using falco, atomsk using ic/ddd, ninjalink using diddy, gnes using diddy, razer using snake, are all people that have beaten the best mks around. I can name more if you need me to. This is the last bit of information I'll give on the subject, lmao.

Kinryu

Smash Cadet
Guys I'm sorry to have stirred up so many negative reactions with such a small observation. Count your a respectable person and I hate to argue over such silly things, I don't care if Snake or IC wins, as I have previously stated this was never a solely metaknight point, snake and Ice climbers fall in the same category. If your not going to read my posts or try to understand my points then why do you even bother posting a response? let alone try to insult me, lol.

I've seen only one good argument so far, Donut brings up the evolving metagame, so the real question here is, Is the metagame of brawl actually developing far enough to equalize the playing field? Here we have a legitimate argument.

This will be my last post seeing as I'm tired of talking to a wall. I didn't have to post on here, I'm not just trying to look cool or anything I don't care about opinions of me. If you know me you know I'm a nice guy who doesn't really talk much. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the brawl community so far. Why would I try to take from it? I'm barely even a member anymore what do I care? This was never really an argument, only a description of what I have witnessed as the state competitive brawl is in right now. Feel free to dispute it but it is what it is gentlemen...

If you think I'm 100% wrong and your point is important enough to continue this, send me a PM I'll be happy to read and respond, unless its just more useless babble and insults. I may even agree with you for most of it. But, for now out of respect for you guys I feel this thread should go back to discussion about holy house 3 rather than scaring off potential participants. :)

Top Bottom