• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Collection

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I've been collecting/restoring controllers and other random N64 accessories for a few months now. It has become pretty addicting.

I think I've cleaned and replaced most of the joysticks on the 1st party ones but i might have missed one or two.
My favorites are the two-toned Pokemon controller and the black mini-pads.

Pikachu N64 is too legit.

Anyone else have any N64 or Smash related collecting habits?

edit: sorry the pictures are huge. i'm too lazy to fix them though.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol wtf

how much did you spend in all of this

but nevermind you could open a n64 "oldies" store and get it all back..

the red hori minipad and the dark transparent blue controllers look the coolest

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've been collecting/restoring controllers and other random N64 accessories for a few months now. It has become pretty addicting.
Yes it can become almost as addicting as playing the games.

Very nice collection there, Hamburglar! I especially like those Hori Mini Pads as I don’t even own one of those.

Yeah I too own lots of Nintendo 64 stuff. Here’s a picture of a few of my Rareware games although I have a few more now including the extremely collectable Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
When you've replaced your joysticks, did you just buy a replacement stick for them, or did you buy the whole joystick box? The 2 1st party N64 controllers I have I've opened up to clean out and lubricate the sticks, but it seems that the black swivel bars wear out a bit too (mainly the x axis one, it seems).

If you just replace the stick itself, does it still feel like new if the black plastic pieces are just slightly worn down, but still in decent shape? That's how mine are, but on one of my controllers it's hardly playable. The stick just gets terrible response for some reason. And I've stretched the spring out a little bit too and it didn't help any.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
^ i just buy the complete replacement units online so i just have to switch them in and out. i've cleaned out a few joysticks but it never feels as new as if i just buy a replacement piece.

@Nixxon: I try not to think about how much i spend but it's never really that much at one time. I try to spread out my obviously lame N64 purchases but ebay is the devil when you're drunk.

I didn't know the dark blue ones were rare or anything, i've seen a bunch but I haven't seen most of the ones DMoogle mentioned.

@Sharksquail: Thanks, I painted that one myself.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
me and my cousin togther have like 30 games including conkers. and we have heaps of controllers including a hacked one that can button mash at maxium speed if u press these switches. joystick broke though :(

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Nice seeing you at pound4 hamburglar ~.~
After playing with the Horo minipad or whatever it is ... I think I like the 64 controller better xD

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
I've asked Isai and Firo how they felt about the horo mini pad...Isai didn't care for it but Firo was a fan. On a side note, I just ordered a couple new controllers :D can't wait to get them in and start playing on a GOOD stick once again, its been so long. Even my buttons were going out/getting way less responsive on this thing...I've gotten so many hours of play on it.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I've asked Isai and Firo how they felt about the horo mini pad...Isai didn't care for it but Firo was a fan. On a side note, I just ordered a couple new controllers :D can't wait to get them in and start playing on a GOOD stick once again, its been so long. Even my buttons were going out/getting way less responsive on this thing...I've gotten so many hours of play on it.
I have one Hori minipad and its def way better, especially for people who have sensitive hands and think that the original controller feels too rough in general. The hori feels pretty much the same as a GC controller, get one if you have money!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
you need the DK banana controller

what kind of controllers are the ones on the bottom?

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
That's interesting.. buttons usually don't go bad on original Nintendo brand controllers, unless you press down way too hard or something... Try opening up your controllers and take a look. Only thing I can think of that would make them not work is if the rubber pads underneath corrode away or something. I've opened both of my n64 orig controllers to clean the analog sticks, and on one of them I cleaned the entire controller out - washed all plastic parts (both sides of controller casing, and all buttons) in warm, soapy water, and used a toothbrush to scrape crap out, and i cleaned the rubber pads for the buttons with my finger. The buttons still work like they're brand new, and it's really clean on top of it, the controller looks like its never been used. The N64 controller is actually a very sturdy piece of hardware, only problem is how those darn analog sticks wear out =/

If you clean them and the buttons still work, buying just the replacement analog stick pieces will be cheaper than buying a whole controller, and they're easy to replace.

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
That's interesting.. buttons usually don't go bad on original Nintendo brand controllers, unless you press down way too hard or something... Try opening up your controllers and take a look. Only thing I can think of that would make them not work is if the rubber pads underneath corrode away or something. I've opened both of my n64 orig controllers to clean the analog sticks, and on one of them I cleaned the entire controller out - washed all plastic parts (both sides of controller casing, and all buttons) in warm, soapy water, and used a toothbrush to scrape crap out, and i cleaned the rubber pads for the buttons with my finger. The buttons still work like they're brand new, and it's really clean on top of it, the controller looks like its never been used. The N64 controller is actually a very sturdy piece of hardware, only problem is how those darn analog sticks wear out =/

If you clean them and the buttons still work, buying just the replacement analog stick pieces will be cheaper than buying a whole controller, and they're easy to replace.
I'll have to look into cleaning out the insides around the buttons, maybe that'll help. Yeah, the stick is what goes bad so quickly, but the problem is finding new joysticks...I've found a few new on ebay, etc, but they're around $15. I got two refurbished controllers with completely new joysticks for $18 each, so I think I came out ahead there.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to look into cleaning out the insides around the buttons, maybe that'll help. Yeah, the stick is what goes bad so quickly, but the problem is finding new joysticks...I've found a few new on ebay, etc, but they're around $15. I got two refurbished controllers with completely new joysticks for $18 each, so I think I came out ahead there.
Nice. Yeah if you open them up, the rubber pad that the buttons press against might be really dirty - it's really amazing how much stuff you find in there if you've never opened up that certain controller before, after using it for years. The ones I've seen online have usually been around $10 for replacements, but if the controller altogether is in really good condition, then I guess it's worth it. It's just such a shame that the sticks turn to crap eventually... that means that eventually there won't be any left, because Nintendo doesn't produce them anymore D:

I'm thinking about trying adding epoxy to the inside base of the stick to make the sticks tight again after wearing down a lot. I'll probably be trying that next time I go home, which will probably be at the end of the semester in a few weeks. If anyone's interested, I'll post if I have success with it.

I like taking things apart for some reason. So when things actually need to be cleaned or fixed, I have a lot of fun :laugh:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's just such a shame that the sticks turn to crap eventually... that means that eventually there won't be any left, because Nintendo doesn't produce them anymore D:
Have no fear because the Grizzmeister has locked a few mint condition N64 controllers away in his closet for posterity.

firo

Smash Ace
I know when I first got my hori pad it didn't seem too great, but over time it got much better. Especially for playing characters like ness, as all the buttons are close together for fast DJCs. I've also been able to slide DI a lot better with the different style joystick (which doesn't seem to be wearing out). Then again, I did purchase one, so buyer's remorse might be at play, and the fact that it can't be used on a pc is a big turn off.

I would pay someone a good sum of money to make a joystick and associated parts out of some sort of metal like titanium or something. I'm hoping that once the demand for sticks gets large enough, the issue will be solved somehow.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I know when I first got my hori pad it didn't seem too great, but over time it got much better. Especially for playing characters like ness, as all the buttons are close together for fast DJCs. I've also been able to slide DI a lot better with the different style joystick (which doesn't seem to be wearing out). Then again, I did purchase one, so buyer's remorse might be at play, and the fact that it can't be used on a pc is a big turn off.

I would pay someone a good sum of money to make a joystick and associated parts out of some sort of metal like titanium or something. I'm hoping that once the demand for sticks gets large enough, the issue will be solved somehow.
It can 100% be used on a PC, but we need some nice guy who scripts the drivers for us :p

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I’m utterly shocked that some Chinese company hasn’t started making replacement parts for the official Nintendo 64 controller yet. They could probably sell the 5 pieces that are needed to refurbish the analog stick for around $20 through Play Asia and people would snap them up like hotcakes.

Oh, here’s a picture of my Mint Condition N64 controllers along with some others that I keep boxed.

The one in the center of the picture is the relatively rare Atomic Black N64 controller and my overall favorite is probably the yellow one. These 7 Nintendo 64 controllers are Mint although I have many more that are Near Mint. :)

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman

i was the same way, i didn't like my mini pad at first since the stick is more sensitive than a regular n64 controller so it is a little harder to sweet spot short hop u-airs and ffuairs but after you get used to it, it is much better. slide DI with the mini pad is awesome.

what i would pay a lot of money for would be a controller with the left and right buttons switched, like, ab and c buttons on the left and the d pad on the right. getting used to it would be weird but i'm left handed and i think i'd be able to shdl and do other quick techniques more frequently.

edit: the superpad plus is ok. the buttons take more pressure to register but it actually feels great in the hands despite the shape. also, the joystick is made out of metal so it doesn't wear out.

TheMagistrate

Smash Apprentice
I have one Hori minipad and its def way better, especially for people who have sensitive hands and think that the original controller feels too rough in general. The hori feels pretty much the same as a GC controller, get one if you have money!
I'm so glad to have seen this. I've a friend who is constantly b******* about how bad the joystick hurts him on the original. Now, to convince him to buy this.....

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Here is one of my N64 controllers that has the newer "GameCube-like" replacement sticks installed. Sadly, these sticks don't work very well with SSB and to be quite honest they feel more like the analog stick on the Sega Dreamcast controller.

In case you're curious, this controller has an atomic purple top and black bottom thus I refer to it as a hybrid. Here's a reverse angle shot which may make the colors more noticeable.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I can usually boast, but Grizzmeister's controller collection puts me to shame ;__; .

Yo last week I went to a Melee tourney that my local Play-n-Trade was having (with items xD ) and I left and came back since I was a few hours early. But some kid bought the controller I wanted like an hour before I got back with my wallet. The top right at 1:21 of your vid. Mint condition. I was soooo mad. But hey, it's kinda funny now lol.

Top Bottom