• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy's New Chaingrab

Player-1

Smash Legend
Before you get excited, let me say that this does not work on all characters, and that the person i was versing may have been able to get out of it, but for some reason didnt.

This was done to a wolf player on smashville. How I did it was glide toss forward, grab then Bthrow, the banana that you glide tossed should be right behind you, grab it and repeat. Sometimes you'll not want to glide toss because he lands to close behind you. I havent tested this anywhere else and its the only time I've done this. I'll test this more tomorrow.
Edit: I got the player to 73% damage before i had to predict where and when he'd roll. So i could have gotten higher.

Edit 2: It's done similar to what ninja link did to the Pikachu in his sig, although i think Pika can get out of it

Edit 3: With testing on the following characters:
Bowser
Wolf
Fox
Gannondorf
Lucario
Captain Falcon
Mario

This isn't a chain grab...BUT it can still work.

I've experimented this in actual matches and it's worked great. The Average thing I have seen from this, is after the first back throw, they usually airdodge so they can go straight to a shield, but you can still get them after this with another b throw. Most of the time I couldn't get them a 3rd time, but could dash attack/banana combo them up to 60-80% damage all from 0%. What generally happened with teching is that every time they teched and rolled backwards they'd get out of it, any other kinds of tech failed.

The best way to set this up is to get yourself about diddy's length away from the opponent, glide toss forward and Bthrow, the banana should be right behind you and you can do it again, the best way to keep this going is to make the banana land STRAIGHT behind you, other wise you'll have to dash attack to pick it up and it will knock them out of the combo. I kept the banana landing straight beind me 5 times on ganndonorf and wasn't able to do this.

The main way people were able to get out were:
Airdodge to reduce the landing lag to a shield
techbackwards
Airdodge to reduce landing lag to a backwards roll
high percent damage.

How effective this could be in an actual match:

It worked more than half the time, and I got to them AT LEAST 30% damage every time, and thats without combos. After the 2nd Bthrow toss your best best would be to dash attack combo them afterwards. So more than half time I did this I got them 50% or more.

You should be able to continue this until they fly too far by tech/roll chasing them

Link to Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjl4D1WTVkE

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm...

I don't know if nana hits can really be DI'd (well, the hit can, but DI doesn't really matter cause you'll fall on your butt no matter what you do), but throws can...

This seems promising. I'll have to test it out.

Do you have a vid?

How awesome would it be if this worked on MK?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Hmm...

I don't know if nana hits can really be DI'd (well, the hit can, but DI doesn't really matter cause you'll fall on your butt no matter what you do), but throws can...

This seems promising. I'll have to test it out.

Do you have a vid?

I didnt say DI, im saying getting out in general like jumping before you hit the ground. I have a video but dont have computer acess(wii internet browser) have it by tommorow or in a few hours. Read edits though AZ

ADHD

Smash Hero
I didnt say DI, im saying getting out in general like jumping before you hit the ground. I have a video but dont have computer acess(wii internet browser) have it by tommorow or in a few hours. Read edits though AZ
Is what your talking about, if it is escapable, is it obvious? Maybe we can do this about three or four times before they notice...

Player-1

Smash Legend
Is what your talking about, if it is escapable, is it obvious? Maybe we can do this about three or four times before they notice...

IDK like i said im testing tommorow when i have some one to communicate with while doing it, to my knowledge Wolf cant escape it til 70% damage, then you have to predict when and where thex roll if they dont tech.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Actually, the Wolf got to 50% damage before I had to predict the roll. Looking back at it it looked like I could have avoided him rolling by not doing the glide toss. I'm actually going to have the video uploaded in the next 30 minutes hopefully.

BTW I thought it was 70$ damage because I Side Specialed him and just got him to 70% damage just didn't realize it at the time

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm...

I guess the idea is that it doesn't matter, even if it is teched, you should be able to follow the tech with a nana.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think that if they DI up and do an airdodge quickly before they hit the ground that this would stop the CG. It looks promising on some of the heavier characters but it looks like most characters could just DI up and airdodge. Haven't tested it, but that seems like the easiest way to escape.

The other way would be to DI and Tech roll towards one particular ledge. Eventually, instead of throwing him backwards onto the stage, he would end up being thrown off.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think that if they DI up and do an airdodge quickly before they hit the ground that this would stop the CG. It looks promising on some of the heavier characters but it looks like most characters could just DI up and airdodge. Haven't tested it, but that seems like the easiest way to escape.

The other way would be to DI and Tech roll towards one particular ledge. Eventually, instead of throwing him backwards onto the stage, he would end up being thrown off.

Yeah... Thats why i said it doesnt work on all characters...

Vall3y

Smash Lord
this is not a chaingrab, its very escapable. you have to predict his tech each time to hit the banana again.

saberhof

Smash Master
pretty cool, this could mess with peoples minds :D...

what % do they start going farther?...just to know when to start it...

Player-1

Smash Legend
With testing on the following characters:
Bowser
Wolf
Fox
Gannondorf
Lucario
Captain Falcon
Mario

This isn't a chain grab...BUT it can still work.

I've experimented this in actual matches and it's worked great. The Average thing I have seen from this, is after the first back throw, they usually airdodge so they can go straight to a shield, but you can still get them after this with another b throw. Most of the time I couldn't get them a 3rd time, but could dash attack/banana combo them up to 60-80% damage all from 0%. What generally happened with teching is that every time they teched and rolled backwards they'd get out of it, any other kinds of tech failed.

The best way to set this up is to get yourself about diddy's length away from the opponent, glide toss forward and Bthrow, the banana should be right behind you and you can do it again, the best way to keep this going is to make the banana land STRAIGHT behind you, other wise you'll have to dash attack to pick it up and it will knock them out of the combo. I kept the banana landing straight beind me 5 times on ganndonorf and wasn't able to do this.

The main way people were able to get out were:
Airdodge to reduce the landing lag to a shield
techbackwards
Airdodge to reduce landing lag to a backwards roll
high percent damage.

How effective this could be in an actual match:

It worked more than half the time, and I got to them AT LEAST 30% damage every time, and thats without combos. After the 2nd Bthrow toss your best best would be to dash attack combo them afterwards. So more than half time I did this I got them 50% or more.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I do that all the time. Not really a chain grab, might be an infinite if you can tech chase correctly. Never tried. Thx for raising the idea :]

Vall3y

Smash Lord
It got teched in the video, and it was still able to continue
you predicted his tech, or just lucked it
if he'd tech left or right you wouldnt have been able to do it
the only way this will be guaranteed is hitting the banana before he is landing and grabbing him from the small stun of air banana, which is probably not possible. if he is landing you have to predict the tech each time to score each banana hit

Player-1

Smash Legend
you predicted his tech, or just lucked it
if he'd tech left or right you wouldnt have been able to do it
the only way this will be guaranteed is hitting the banana before he is landing and grabbing him from the small stun of air banana, which is probably not possible. if he is landing you have to predict the tech each time to score each banana hit
No I have tested it, you can hit him out of each tech, and we have already accepted the fact that it's not guaranteed.

IDK

Smash Lord
i was just messing around and just got a dumb lv 9 to like 100 or something lols. he couldve gotten out easy. and i shouldnt have been playing lv 9s. just messing around tho. and just saying. :p

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
I actually do this quite a bit.
Cool.

P.S. Is that Wolf have a gamertag of Kratos and/or live in Georgia?

IDK

Smash Lord
hmmm, lately when doing this my dash attack on the naner pick up tends to hit them. how am i setting it up wrong? (as in the spacing of how far they should be or whatever.

Player-1

Smash Legend
hmmm, lately when doing this my dash attack on the naner pick up tends to hit them. how am i setting it up wrong? (as in the spacing of how far they should be or whatever.

Not sure if you read the edits. You have to glide toss close enough that you can turn aroud and press A.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Pretty cool chain grab but its one of those situational that you come across very often. I usually just throw the banana at the player and grab them. Then do a foward throw which gives me enough time to pull out my bananas.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Pretty cool chain grab but its one of those situational that you come across very often. I usually just throw the banana at the player and grab them. Then do a foward throw which gives me enough time to pull out my bananas.
Yes this will happen more often though whenever the 'chaingrab' is pulled off its epic.

Top Bottom