• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada Smash Tournament #2, March 10, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Teh Fair is pleased to host a 1v1 [Singles] as well as a 2v2 [Doubles] tournament, in Red Deer Alberta. Becuase of the lack of competition in their area. =]

--------
The tournament will take place in the Red Deer Public Library, which is located at 4818-49 St., Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

To compete, in singles the admission price is free, and doubles is $5.00 per person. [$10.00 per team]. This is reffering to Canadian dollars.
Food, Snacks, and Drinks will be provided. We are uncertain if outside food is permitted, but it's doubted to be a problem.

Prizes for singles will be provided by the library:
1st: A new DS LITE
2nd: <XX Amount of XX Giftcard
3rd: >XX Amount of XX Giftcard

Prizes for doubles will be a divided pot:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Time:
-March 10, 2007
-The tournament will start at 10:00 AM and finish at 5:30 PM

Singles Rules
-4 stock
-6 minutes
-Best 2/3 matches,
-Semi Finals of both brakets will be best 3/5.
-Finals will be best 3/5 match.
-Double elimination
-Items will be Off

Stages:
- The first match of a set's stage will be selected randomly, the Loser then announces the next stage he/she will select, then winner will have the choice of a character change, followed by the loser change selecting their character
-The random stages include: Pokémon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Kirby64.
-The banned stages include: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Kongo Jungle, Mushroom Kingdom I, Green Greens,
-Counter picks will include: Princess Peach's Castle, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Corneria, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Pokémon Stadium, Mute City, Onett, Mushroom Kingdom II, Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Congo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Poké Floats, Final Destination.

Doubles Rules [Pretty much the same as 1v1 but, FoD and mute city are banned as well as an 8 minute match time limit]
-4 stock
-8 minutes
-Best 2/3 matches,
-Semi Finals of both brakets will be best 3/5.
-Finals will be best 3/5 match.
-Double elimination
-Items will be Off
*Players will be refunded if 2v2 does not get finished.

Stages:
- The first match of a set's stage will be selected randomly, the Loser then announces the next stage he/she will select, then winner will have the choice of a character change, followed by the loser change selecting their character
-The random stages include: Pokémon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64.
-The banned stages include: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Great bay, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Kongo Jungle, Fountain of Dreams, Brinstar, Mute City, Green Greens.
-Counter picks will include: Princess Peach's Castle, Jungle Japes, Corneria, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Pokémon Stadium, Onett, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom II, Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Congo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Poké Floats, Final Destination.

Additional rules:
-Double Blind pick may be called at any time
-There may be a lack of spare time so banned stages are banned, and will not be played under any circumstance
-Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned.
-FastFox must be faster than most vehicles
-Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.
-Dave's stupid rule won't be used, becuase it is stupid. =]
-Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
-If you infinite with ice climbers you are lame
-Gimping recoveries is nothing to be proud of ;_;
-A rowdy behaviour will not be tolerated, and people with such an attitude will be kicked out of the tournament. Showing enthusiasm for the game is not being rowdy*
-Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jigg's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.
-BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER, NONE WILL BE PROVIDED FOR YOU, SO DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING FROM ANYONE. GOT IT?

There will be a 32 person player cap, due to it being hosted at a lame library [I'm sorry there's nothing I can do about it] so remember to confirm here by posting in the thread, if you aren't already on the list.

To help the tournament finish on time there will be a need for a set of about 7 tv's and gamecubes to be brought out One more GameCube donation is required! Every player should bring a controller.
Amount of TV's needed currently: 0 [Chad: 2, Connor: 1, Sean: 1, Library: 1, Levi: 1, Carl: 2]
Amount of GameCubes needed currently: 0 [Alex: 1, Connor: 1, Victra: 1, Brent: 1, Sean:1, Carl: 1, Shawn, Brad]
*Providers of GameCubes are assumed to have a copy of ssbm, and a memory card with everything unlocked. If that is a problem, please mention it.
There will potentially be a highlights video of the tournament if there are VCR's brought to help record some matches
VCR's so far: 4 [Carl: 1, Alex: 2, Victor]

Post suggestions for what you would like to see in the video. Stuff like total length and music you would like to hear, I'll probably end up not using a lot of peoples' junk but my mind can easily be changed. Clearly electronica / rave / whatever variations [of that genre-ish stuff] is the best music to fit with smash =P. I was thinking something like 5-7 minutes. Too short / long? Bad music taste? complain here. =]

It'd be nice to say where it is you are coming from, while confriming, and your first name
Confirmed Player list:
1. RingMaster1337 - Sean: from Red Deer
2. Janitor - Victra: from Red Deer
3. ThePrizedPig - Connor: from Red Deer
4. R.L. Prodigy - Andrew: from Red Deer
5. MAIN Attraction - Brent: From Red Deer
6. Mariownage - Levi: from Calgary
7. Rileyzor - Riley: from Calgary
8. FastFox - Joel: from Edmonton
9. Kithkin - Brad: from Calgary
10. Depressed_Brian - Brian: from Red Deer
11. BackItch - Chad: from Calgary
12. H.O.M.O. - Steven: from Red Deer
13. Nitrocidal - Alex: from Calgary
14. Konkey Dong - Mike: from Edmonton
15. Mason Draus: from Red Deer
16. LemonLau - Sid: from Edmonton
17. Tyson: from Edmonton
18. SHWN - Shawn: from Edmonton
19. RJM - Randall: from Calgary
20. MICH - Mitchell: from Calgary
21. Jin - Chris: : from Calgary
22. FalseFalco - Carl: from Edmonton
23. LOAF SOPS - Fiona: from Red Deer
24. Player A - Andy: from Rocky Mountain House
25. Player C - Christine: from Red Deer
26. Nick: from Edmonton
27. MagnuM - Stu: from Edmonton
28. Dasupaloui - Luis: from Edmonton
29. Stevo - Steve: from Edmonton
30. Kyle Campbell: from Red Deer
31. Reserved for library ******ry
32. Reserved for library ******ry
The 1v1 tournament is full. =[

2v2 Teams [Not definate]:
Levi & Sid
Victra & Sean
Carl & Shawn
Brad & Chad
Andy & Christine
Riley & Alex
Andrew & Brent
Logan & Jordan
Nick & Luis
Stu & Stevo
Tyson & Joel

Feel free to discuss your teams in the thread as well.

This is an event you don't want to miss, here's a little flashback of the last one!

[Lolz, had to have this picture in the thread somewhere]

It is encouraged to debate the rules and whatnot for a generalized, and more favourable tournament. =]

Also here are some links to threads that are somewhat relavent, and should be advertised:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=87409
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92006 <- That thread lacks activity.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Joel <3! added you to the list

Feel free to discuss carpooling as well guys. If you'd like to come but can't get a ride ask for some help, I'm sure someone can.

Carpool to / from Calgary!

There is now, 1 empty seat.

dark_sasuke89

Smash Rookie
Hey, this is Drew. Alright well last time we went it I had lots of fun but I have to see if I can get the time off work etc. I'm sure pawka and stv will want to go from St. Albert. If I go I'll be driving like last time. Not sure yet though.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
LOL, if Victra is going to play in this tournament we won't need an eight minute time limit. Might as well knock it down to about thirty-five seconds. That's enough for four good Falcon Punches, I'm guessing.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Levi, it's at noon till 5:30 and it's 7 bucks admission*** and you should also state that teh grand prize is a ds lite

LOL, if Victra is going to play in this tournament we won't need an eight minute time limit. Might as well knock it down to about thirty-five seconds. That's enough for four good Falcon Punches, I'm guessing.
gawd

btw, my little brother's filipino friend is coming too. his names steven. mark him down for me

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Maybe if someone ****ing told me the right answer after I ask them the specific time and ****. It's not my fault that you two are giving me false infornmation. Talk to Sean about it since he's the "crew leader" and this is what he told me, he also read over it and said that it's perfect. This is not my problem untill you guys talk to eachother about it. And a DS lite was not mentioned at all to me, ever. Get your guys' act together before telling me I'm wrong.

It's actually doing quite nicely, PANTS.

Maybe if you were a bit more ACTIVE. MAYBE.
Don't you go callin' me pants, I just got home and I'm pissed. >=[

kithkin

Smash Champion
sorry, but i guess we have to get over the fact that the red deer crew is disorganized, i mean they are getting someone else to set it up for them.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
OMFG MIKE IS COMIN', will you beat my dk in a ditto? =]

~.~? is Wilson, he's from st albert, he might be able to come to my house and then attend the biweekly the day after if everything goes well, so his spot is saved untill he says he can't go.

kithkin

Smash Champion
oh thats why the was a ?.

and wait, are we picking him up from st. albert? hows he getting a ride?

or is it just way back?

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
-Gimping recoveries is nothing to be proud of ;_;
Lol, Levi. Trying to make sure I get last place? Don't worry, I'll probably get it anyway.

Also, I can bring a cube, + necessary wires, a game and Mem card as well.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
For those who don't watch for changes the admission price has been dropped to 7 dollars. This is Canadian money for the record.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
it was supposed to be 7 dollars to begin with -_-' btw, Parkers Confirmed

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Well, i could care less now if it was 7 or 10. Do y'all want the admission to be 10?

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
$10.00 = A bigger pot, I'm down for that. =]

Edit: The admission price is back up to $10.00, and the formula of the pot has been changed.

All of the needed TV's and Cubes have been counted for!
You still have to bring your own controller, and this will never change!

A new maximum stations has made me change this post, we still need more!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Shawn is confirmed, and uh...he can probably provide a ride for you Joel, and Tyson if you still need one.

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed, at this point.

But i'd like to encourage a teams tourny as well. To make that possible, you guys need to lower the time limit of each battle.
It'll save alot of time when the people who don't know what they're doing, play.

kithkin

Smash Champion
or do teams or something on other TV's.

budget our time better, not just go with it however like last time.

and $10, huh alright.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
But i'd like to encourage a teams tourny as well. To make that possible, you guys need to lower the time limit of each battle.
It'll save alot of time when the people who don't know what they're doing, play.

Time and stock limit? I love teams as well but it will need to be discussed further. 6 Minute matches? I don't really understand =S

FalseFalco

Smash Master
What he means to say is he doesn't want to sit around waiting for an 8 minute peach ditto between to campers to end when incredible teams matchs could be taking place.

And I agree.

ALSO, I hereby refuse to play on the library's tv due to the fact that it sucks. MORE THAN 4 TV'S ARE NEEDED FOR A 21 PERSON TOURNAMENT TO RUN CORRECTLY.

With that taken into consideration by victor, sean and levi; I confirm.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Alright, well i too dislike the library's TV, and we do have several TVs that will be in the separate room. It's your choice or not to play on the wide one. I may or may not be able to modify the screen so it becomes "square"to reduce lag. Also Levi, my cousin Logan (Nam) and his brother Jordan(Communist) are now confirmed. Also, i recently spoke with the library and

1. There will be no admission fee or at least, it must fairly small one(ex: $5)

2. The library has the recently received a budget of $1000 for teen activities/programs and they are willing to spend a portion of the on the DS Lite and any game/accessories for second and third place and food/snacks/drinks mainly because the library wants to keep 'their' programs 'non-profit' and they also do not like handling money =S kay?

3. We'll have to keep to noise down until 11:30 because there will be a 'book reading' downstairs on the main floor. But we don't need to be major quite.

4. If you wanna bring $10 dollars then go ahead. Sean and I (and Levi) love free money.

5. Also, we'll cut of the list once it reaches 27 or so. According to the Library, they too are advertising this tournament, and we may encounter other players who contacted the library instead of us. Just to let everyone know.

The list is coming along quite nicely =)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
LOL! but the only thing we need with the admission fee's is to split it into the prizes including house. The library refused and offered to play for EVERYTHING. Unless you guys want an admission fee

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah but I'm pretty sure the library would rather do prizes than a cash pot
and a pot>prizes in most cases. Unless they will do both, cause if so then that would be the best compromise.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
well hmm, I'm down with anything. Whatever you guys decide on, I'll talk to the library about it

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Uhhhh, Topics needed to be discussed[?]:
-Change the rules to 6 minutes[?] and keep the stocks at 4.
-More stations [TV / GameCube] recquired, [Is there room for them?] 2 or 3 more?
-1v1 Entry fee is dropped back down to $5.00 Canadian?
-Prizes [will there still be them or what's the deal with non-profit?].
-Add a 2v2 event, $5.00 Admission fee? Pot Prizes?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the library has up to $1000 as a budget for teen programs like this, so they offered to provide the snacks and the grand prize DS Lite as well as whatever you guys want for secondary and third prizes.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
So you need suggestions for second and third? I don't have of those, but I will ask; Can there be library prizes, as well as a pot payed for with the entry fee's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom