• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The science of Sing (theory, mechanics and infinite jump explained)

Veril

Frame Savant
The Science of Sing, a Guide to Wacky Ledge Nonsense
by Veril (a name you can trust :p )

There are too many sing threads, I hope that this one and Rhed's are the only ones necessary. This is meant to be an advanced analysis and guide. Most techniques described are extremely difficult and the science is very in depth. I make a lot of quantum mechanics analogies. If you want to discuss sing outside of its interaction with ledges, please do so in Rhed's guide.

Table of Contents:

1. A Brief History of Sing
2. Introduction: What Makes Sing Special?

A Brief History of Sing (Brawl)

Sing has had a bad rep for some time. Long considered only usable when ledge-canceled, itself a risky and extremely situational tactic, Sing was a move for showing off, nothing more. One player, RhedKing, made the admirable but foolish promise to me that he would find a use for sing. His efforts were commendable, and he did uncover new information about sing that has turned out to be very useful (that it has 3 pulses). That said, his work was rendered all but useless with a sad discovery made by Illinialex.

Sing had the most stupidly useless mechanic EVER. It was impossible to gain a frame advantage if an opponent button mashes until 200+%. I have no way of responding to that other than an unending torrent of profanity, so I'll spare you. Sing seemed to be one of, if not the, worst moves in the game. That brings me to this new and exciting period of Sing's history.

Illianalex found a neat glitch involving sing and the ledge on Corneria. So... I messed around and found a LOT more (my science is great lol). It turns out Sing has some very strange properties when it comes to sweet-spotting the edge. The most well known as of now is the Sing-Cancel variant, Sing-Stepping, whereby sing cancels under the stage and refreshes all of Jigglypuff's jumps. WHAT!? Yeah, anti-gravity ftw. Turns out there's a whole lot more here, and we're only just scratching the surface of what may be a move with fantastic potential.

What Makes Sing Special?

Sing is an extremely complex move. Sing reflects fundamental aspects of the games physics and because of its unique properties it has the most complex and fascinating effects of any move in the game in its interaction with the ledge. In finding new and exciting techniques, I've been posed with that most difficult of questions: why? Why do these things happen? How does Jigglypuff refresh all her jumps without visibly grabbing the edge? How is sing canceling? WTF happened with Illinialex on Corneria?

lol

Sing in many ways acts exactly like a normal jump. It doesn't autosweetspot, the max distance at which you can snap to the edge is if not exactly, pretty much exactly, the same as a normal jump. It doesn't increase the height of your jump. Holding down or to the side will prevent sweetspotting and holding the a-stick in the direction of the ledge will cause you to snap to it. The first interesting thing about sing is that you can't fast fall it. You can't maneuver it at all in fact. And unlike a normal jump, it won't always sweetspot. Most interestingly, when it does snap you to the ledge, sometimes you don't actually grab it. Sometimes sing will snap you to the edge even if you don't jump, at absurd distances.

Clearly there's something going on. My current theory is that Sing's behavior is largely tied to whether it is paired with a jump or not, with an important distinction: there are frames that occur during sing in which it will not sweetspot the edge (current theory). This window is small enough that Sing can sweetspot and snap to the ledge prior to them taking effect, and then cancel the sweetspot during these frames. Maybe this can pass as well, leading to the glitch Alex found. This isn't the reason for the sing-cancel, but it explains some of the even more exotic effects I have witnessed.

Here are the effects I have observed:

1. Is within range and sweetspots normally (TJ on).
2. Is within range and I cancel the sweetspot by holding down or away (you can still sweetspot by letting go)
3. Is out of range and I die.
4. Sweetspots without a jump from extreme range.
5. Cancels and renews all jumps without any apparent motion.
6. Shoots you up past the edge and cancels (I know... what!)

The Post of supreme snazziness.

So you'll have to take a leap of faith in order to accept that it may take me some time to get video proof for an insane feat: I traveled underneath Final Destination, 3 times consecutively, without landing or grabbing the edge.

How?

Sing.

That's right, one of the most useless moves in the game grants Jigglypuff a type of ISJR while offstage on SOME stages. Here's how it works:

Sing will sweetspot the ledge from a stupidly long distance. However, when fully under a lip this process is prevented, and you fall, singing, to an embarrassing death. Now on some of these lips (Final D and Japes are notable) there is a very very specific spot in which you both are and are not sweetspotting the ledge. So if you use sing with the exact right spacing and timing it will be canceled. You won't appear to move at all. BUT you are. Jigglypuff enters a weird quantum state in which she basically exists in two area's at once (well, a few frames of difference maybe...).

Anyway, basically sing is canceled and you get all your jumps back. Thus... infinite jumps offstage, the holy f***ing grail for Jiggs.

Its crazy tough to do on final D, only a little bit easier on Japes. Here's a vid of it being done once. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_upXyxnIaM

Since making that video I've gotten a lot better at it. So I went under the stage, sing canceled, and repeated another 2 times to make my epic journey (before singing my way to an embarrassing death).

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If that's possible. Then Jigglypuff has the best recovery in the game. MK can only go under FD twice w/o landing or grabbing the ledge.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
If that's possible. Then Jigglypuff has the best recovery in the game. MK can only go under FD twice w/o landing or grabbing the ledge.
No. Best recovery also includes recovering from offstage, not just under it. Jiggs can't do this offstage to prevent getting gimped.

On another note, this is going to be promptly banned if you start using it to plank.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
I did that before when I used to use upB out of habit.
Epic Find!
The possibilities are endless.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
True, sing has no areial pressence, so it deffinately leaves you open.

Unfortuneately though the positioning for this needs to be so precise it could take forever to learn.

Regardless, extremely good find.

Veril

Frame Savant
True, sing has no areial pressence, so it deffinately leaves you open.

Unfortuneately though the positioning for this needs to be so precise it could take forever to learn.

Regardless, extremely good find.
I learned it in a day. I mess up a lot still but, I've got the gist of it.

This can be done with other characters... but they don't have a bazillion jumps.

The other important thing is it isn't random and can be performed consistently (in theory with tons of practice).

No. Best recovery also includes recovering from offstage, not just under it. Jiggs can't do this offstage to prevent getting gimped.

On another note, this is going to be promptly banned if you start using it to plank.
Are you s****ing me? There is no valid reason to ban this. Its more easily punished than almost any method MK can use to plank. You can beat it just by normal ledgehogging.

Nothing that can be countered by every character easily would be banned.

In terms of raw distance, Jiggs wins.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Just because you don't have to grab the edge to make it infinite doesn't change much.

And other characters do have this; their recoveries cancel by the edge and sometimes you don't expect it and you get fffd. IE Wolf's side b, Marth's up b.

Interesting, to say the least. It cuts down a little bit of potential lag to increase your offstage jumps if you're in the right situation, but very situational imo.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Just because you don't have to grab the edge to make it infinite doesn't change much.

And other characters do have this; their recoveries cancel by the edge and sometimes you don't expect it and you get fffd. IE Wolf's side b, Marth's up b.

Interesting, to say the least. It cuts down a little bit of potential lag to increase your offstage jumps if you're in the right situation, but very situational imo.
Right, we're not saying its gonna be groundbreaking but it is a cool find.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying it is though, cause it puts them to sleep from under the stage if they're close enough.
IT'S CRAZY!

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Veril......

Who made you? I want to know.
He hath been forged from sciences unknown; beyond the human grasp of technology :laugh:

I think now that we have broken space and time, we may be able to find some hitbox hurtbox disjoint?

Like after you sing, the theory is that you should be at the ledge. cancelling sing, but you don't, so after you do this is the hurt box sprite slightly above the image sprite? cause my theory is that the real jigglypuff (aka hit and hurt box) could develope above the image over time by successively using this technique.
yeah veril's pretty trippy (that of course, is a compliment)

Veril

Frame Savant
Veril......

Who made you? I want to know.
SCIENCE!

Wait... so you are saying Jigglypuff can be taught fly?
More like she can be taught to pound physics.

Like after you sing, the theory is that you should be at the ledge. cancelling sing, but you don't, so after you do this is the hurt box sprite slightly above the image sprite? cause my theory is that the real jigglypuff (aka hit and hurt box) could develope above the image over time by successively using this technique.
I slowed it down to about 1/12 speed and essentially she blinks from being stuck under a lip, to being on the ledge for between 1 and 3 frames, to being INSIDE the diagonal point of the lip, to normal.

At around 1/2 speed it looks like she blinks. It actually does mimic the behavior of electrons in a quantum state... I'm not gonna subject you to that analogy but basically Jigglypuff enters something like a state in which she is trapped under the lip AND ledge-grabbing at the same time.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Have you ever thought about using this as an edge guard for recovering opponents???

Imagine... just as your opponent is about to grab the ledge, you sing and they sleep to their death hahaha :lick:

EDIT: I'm a noob, and you've probably already thought of that

Veril

Frame Savant
Have you ever thought about using this as an edge guard for recovering opponents???

Imagine... just as your opponent is about to grab the ledge, you sing and they sleep to their death hahaha :lick:

EDIT: I'm a noob, and you've probably already thought of that
I'm sure you aren't a noob, and even if you are, everyone is at some point. I'm pretty n00b-friendly.

Yes, of course I've thought of that. If you sing and hold down you won't sweetspot. Within range if you switch to holding up you'll snap to the edge. It *****, especially against that evil Marth guy who owns us so hard onstage. Seriously, its very very good (esp if you use tapjump like I do), and I'm going to post a vid of all my sing techniques (that included).

VIDEO PLANS: I call dibs on sing videos for the next day. Respect my dibs... calling...

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
sooo jiggly mirrors are now completly offstage xd?
this is bs!!!!
It would be epic to have a brawl where none of the players touched the ground or the edge. But I have tried this and it seems pretty hard to do.

There is a marker on the top of FD; its a little hole where the metal frame goes into the main fighting platform of the stage. Directly under this is the absolute range that sing will cancel.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
The fabric of reality is falling apart as I read this. As soon as we admit sing is the most useless move in the game, we get infinite recovery from it? WTF?!?!?!

Anyways, great find. I'll make sure to practice it once I fix my wii.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
The fabric of reality is falling apart as I read this. As soon as we admit sing is the most useless move in the game, we get infinite recovery from it? WTF?!?!?!

Anyways, great find. I'll make sure to practice it once I fix my wii.
I still can't get over the rapid change of Sing either. Jigglypuff certainly is an enigma.

Veril

Frame Savant
bump (the fabric of reality)

Science... its coming. Lots of it. Be prepared. It will be the most over the top hard-core geeking out I've done on Smashboards.

Quantum physics will be referenced... a lot.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
bump (the fabric of reality)

Science... its coming. Lots of it. Be prepared. It will be the most over the top hard-core geeking out I've done on Smashboards.

Quantum physics will be referenced... a lot.
Not unless I geek out more than you...

YES!

Top Bottom