• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Long Awaited.... Safe Zone Thread

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I had promised to work on this after Active Gamers. Truth is, I'm rather lazy. The entire thread I wanted to make - may not be made. Instead, you get this thread that I am currently working on (5:04 pm PMT, Oct 2. 2009) and I may edit it after I post it. But I'm going to do it all in one go to start.

Index

• Safe Zones, Danger Zones, Red Flag Zones?
  • Why projectiles are bad.
  • But SuSa, what about ______?

Safe Zones, Danger Zones, Red Flag Zones

Safe Zones
These are zones that when a projectile is used, by simply shielding it, you are safe from punishment. This is almost always from the most outward reach of a projectile. More often then not, you will be in a Danger Zone rather then a Safe Zone.

Danger Zones
This is a zone that when a projectile is used - you must powershield it to avoid punishment. The ranges on this zone vary greatly, but are almost always at mid-range of a projectile. This range is also the reason why people think projectiles are so good. In this range, you are often put into a frame trap. A frame trap is an instance in which you must know your options and be able to react in a small amount of time to avoid being punished. Many people do not know which options they have, fall for the frame trap, and assume the projectile is good.

Red Flag Zone
This is a zone where, even on a powershield, you have an extremely high chance of still being punished. This is generally at almost point blank range of a projectile - and it depends highly on the speed of the projectile. Ness's PK Fire shouldn't give you any harm if you shield it, while Falco's Silent Laser will. However - what are you doing in this zone? You want to avoid it at all costs.....

Why Projectiles Are Bad
This is actually really, really basic if you think about it. It's 2 main points.

• Powershielding is not as hard as it was in Melee (used as an example), meaning it is realistically possibly to powershield every projectile if grounded and able to.
  • Few projectiles have such a small amount of lag after them to allow them to be followed up. Some characters are blessed with the ability of frame traps (Samus), while others have the blessing of actually being able to follow up their projectile (Falco).

But SuSa! What about _____?

Not all projectiles are bad, and I am not saying there isn't a time and place to use a projectile. But how they are often viewed (Falco's lasers rack up damage quickly!) is just horribly wrong. Here are a few projectiles, and a few places in which projectiles are actually useful.

Good Projectiles:
  • Diddy's Bananas
  • Snake's Grenades (This is related with Pit's Arrows)
  • ROB's Gyro (To a degree. Dissapearing on shield.. makes it bad.. but the fact it stays out after use makes it good.)
  • Link's and Toon Link's Bombs (Do not dissapear on shield. This is vital for every good projectile you'll see me list)
  • Pit's Arrows (This is an oddity in the list. The fact it is so versatile with how it is angled it was makes it good)

But what about those.. lackluster projectiles?
  • While the opponent is airborne - This TRULY limits their options. They take it, airdodge, or if your projectile is like Samus's missiles. They try to clank with them. Airdodging, actually limits options. You can't do anything. Unlike powershielding where you at least can grab/do an aerial OoS. Airdodging truly limits your options.
  • To punish lag on a move - If Ike is using Eruption. Why not stand away as Fox and shoot your Blaster at him? This is more or less a no brainer.

That's because, in all honesty, I feel a projectile is only "good" when it actually limits options, or it's simply used to punish a move.

"But SuSa, it makes you hard to approach!"

If your opponent can powershield consistently, and know the safe zones on your projectile(s) it's more of a nuisance and hoping your opponent messes up then anything. Yes, your opponent may slip up. That's why you spam your projectile and camp. But if your opponent is of a higher skill level, they should be powershielding your projectiles on reaction most of the time. If I'm able to, I am certain there are others. Considering my reaction speed isn't anything special. So at the higher levels of play, projectiles became a lot less useful.

I have reached the conclusion of this thread. I will not argue my points, as you will not sway me away from my viewpoint on this matter. If you have further questions as to why the projectiles I listed are "good" (in my opinion) then please feel free to ask. I will answer those questions.

If you would like to argue why a projectile should be considered "good" by me, try to argue your point. Chances are I may have forgotten about the projectile and didn't list it. The other chance is that you didn't understand this small article and refuse to think the projectile is bad. (Looks at a few faces I know)

It is up to YOU to find the safe zones for a projectile. I was going to do pictures, but it's really something you just have to KNOW if you want it to be useful. Just look at my descriptions and slowly work it out for yourself like I did for myself.

I'm off to go smash with friends. Hope you enjoyed.

Limeee

Smash Champion
awesome, ima keep working on my PSing, i can get it consistently on pika's jolt but falco and pit are giving me trouble

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Sheik's Needle's can only be Power Shielded if she throws one. Since you can charge it and throw a whole row of Needle's it make it impossible to power shield them.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The fact that Sheiks needles have transcendent priority makes them viable. In the context of this thread however(meaning zoning and follow ups), they are not.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sheik, Lucario, and Luigi certainly do not base their games around their projectiles.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
What about dah monstas thrown by dat dere Dedede? His Dees and Doos stay out for a long time(one can jump to damage and the other has a rather laggy beam, but Dedede's grab can be used in conjuction with these attacks), can be tossed multiple times, and can't be properly reflected. They are also very useful at absorbing attacks. The only exception to the above would be the Gordos, which come out rather rarely and provide a lot of knock back anyways.

Nic64

Smash Lord
If I'm able to, I am certain there are others. Considering my reaction speed isn't anything special.
He lies!

Good thread though. Some projectiles are actually very good but I'd agree that a majority of them aren't, although this may also be tied to the fact that the majority of characters in this game aren't viable.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The fact that Sheiks needles have transcendent priority makes them viable. In the context of this thread however(meaning zoning and follow ups), they are not.

You do realize alot of projectiles have transcendent properties. Doesnt make em great.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
You do realize alot of projectiles have transcendent properties. Doesnt make em great.
But no one else can throw a stream of transcendent projectiles.

And I always thought there weren't. I destroy most projectiles with my Bair.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Nobody loves Peachs Turnips :(

Just think, perhaps if we loved them more, they might help us against Global Warming scurvy <3

And there's always a chance your Turnip is bomb :D Although that wouldn't be much use fighting scurvy. Quite the reverse actually...

I'm glad you made this actually since some projectiles are reaaaally easy to powersheild

Why was I in a danger zone to begin with?

Unless your BPG can cross the entire length of the stage.... Or... you know... my dair OoS sucks and can't hit you as you pass through me for the pivot grab.
You dont' even need the Dair, just grab xD

.AC.

Smash Lord
projectiles force aproach, in a game like brawl, the one aproaching is usually at a disatvantage,this is what makes projectiles good.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Why was I in a danger zone to begin with?

Unless your BPG can cross the entire length of the stage.... Or... you know... my dair OoS sucks and can't hit you as you pass through me for the pivot grab.
Why are you at the other side of the stage when I have lasers?
1 screwup in your PSing and you're 3% behind.

1 mixup with ground lasers and you're 6% behind

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Or he crouches and never gets hit.
Yeah, because crouching is the answer to everything.

Like IAP.
or tilts
or smashes
or baiting
or aerials

Besides that, not every character can crawl, and you don't go anywhere crouching only. Besides some charas can get hit while crouching

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah, because crouching is the answer to everything.

Like IAP.
or tilts
or smashes
or baiting
or aerials

Besides that, not every character can crawl, and you don't go anywhere crouching only. Besides some charas can get hit while crouching
He's talking about Snake obviously. lrn2infer

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
He's talking about Snake obviously. lrn2infer
You idiot.

Ofcourse I know he was talking about snake, but it wasn't about snake in the first place.
Besides I can't be arsed to hear more half ***** arguments so I just counter them before they can even be posted.

Besides SuSa, are you suggesting you should stay at LONG RANGE against projectile users? Because if I read your post correctly you're saying the rest is dangerous/'red flag'

.AC.

Smash Lord
You idiot.

Ofcourse I know he was talking about snake, but it wasn't about snake in the first place.
Besides I can't be arsed to hear more half ***** arguments so I just counter them before they can even be posted.

Besides SuSa, are you suggesting you should stay at LONG RANGE against projectile users? Because if I read your post correctly you're saying the rest is dangerous/'red flag'
yep since you can obviously dodge,powershield and crawl through every single projectile without making a mistake and still be in in an advantageous position.

i like your sig btw

SuSa

I'm stating that there are distances for each character that they are still safe on a PS'd laser, which would be the danger zone. You just have to know your opponents options because (especially vs Falco) you are putting yourself into a position where you will be put into a frame trap.

If I PS your laser at the right distances, you can IAP (which I shield again upon seeing), BPG (which I OoS aerial or grab), you retreat and I reset my spacing and continue or you have the DACUS/Gatling Combo (which should be shielded again)

For Snake, there are distances where I am put into a frame trap, but if you don't see my spacing and try to SH to SHDL again, I can punish you for it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm stating that there are distances for each character that they are still safe on a PS'd laser, which would be the danger zone. You just have to know your opponents options because (especially vs Falco) you are putting yourself into a position where you will be put into a frame trap.

If I PS your laser at the right distances, you can IAP (which I shield again upon seeing), BPG (which I OoS aerial or grab), you retreat and I reset my spacing and continue or you have the DACUS/Gatling Combo (which should be shielded again)

For Snake, there are distances where I am put into a frame trap, but if you don't see my spacing and try to SH to SHDL again, I can punish you for it.
There are those distances, but there is almost no point in a match where you'll be there without the opponent having a plan.

and your 'if you do this i'll do this' might be true, but first you have to guess right. Besides aerial OOS isn't an option, as I can't believe you can jump (5 frames startup) and an aerial (X frames startup) to beat a BPG.

As for the last part, 'if' I don't see your spacing. 'If' is never a good argument.

yep since you can obviously dodge,powershield and crawl through every single projectile without making a mistake and still be in in an advantageous position.

i like your sig btw
I didn't quite get this post, looks like sarcasm.

and thanks ^^

SuSa

1) You have to cover the distance of the BPG
2) Your grab is AT LEAST 6 frames (IIRC Falco's is around 7-9)
3) Many characters have really quick aerials
4) Some characters can jump high enough to avoid your grab

Even if I am wrong, we can still grab if we see you sliding.

Those are the distances you want to stay in, just know your opponents options and know how to react to them so you don't fall for any frame traps.

You don't have to guess **** right except the BPG/DACUS/Gatling Combo, which can all be punished the same way. Everything else is reaction.

If you see my spacing, you reset your spacing. I reset my spacing. We stay in stalemate for a while. Also, you have to know the danger zones for every single character in the game. Most people can't even recognize safe zones, much less know where they are.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

1) You have to cover the distance of the BPG in which grab startup is covered
2) Your grab is AT LEAST 6 frames (IIRC Falco's is around 7-9) 9, stealth edit
3) Many characters have really quick aerials often including fcked up hitboxes, congratulations you just REALLY quickly hit the AIR

Even if I am wrong, we can still grab if we see you sliding. no, you should consider human reaction time too, which is an average of 0.2seconds frames among gamers, that is IF you see it coming, which you shouldnt against someone with half a mixup game

Those are the distances you want to stay in, just know your opponents options and know how to react to them so you don't fall for any frame traps.
good opponents know that you know their options, and will consider that in their game

You don't have to guess **** right except the BPG/DACUS/Gatling Combo, which can all be punished the same way. Everything else is reaction.
all the same? how may i ask? also you can't punish 7 frames on startup (grounded phantasm) (omg nub falco gorundd has many lags! get over it, it's called mixup against powershielding)

If you see my spacing, you reset your spacing. I reset my spacing. We stay in stalemate for a while. Also, you have to know the danger zones for every single character in the game. Most people can't even recognize safe zones, much less know where they are.
OK, i dont know how this has to do with anything

replies in red

Crow!

Smash Lord
I was expecting a thread titled "safe zone thread" to actually list what the safe distance was for each projectile.

There are some projectiles for which the danger and "red flag" zones are actually pretty long, especially those whose lag can be canceled (Samus' missiles, grapple/clawshot/hookshot if you call those projectiles, Falco's lasers).

Also, "landing" is a very exploitable situation for projectiles if your opponent has no more double jumps.

Another class of projectile which is actually pretty good is those which travel so slowly that it doesn't matter that they disappear when they hit something, you can still use them in conjuction with another attack by following after them (Mario's fireballs, Pika's Tjolt, and TL's arrows come to mind). Presenting your opponent with a projectile and an approach simultaneously reduces their good options for dealing with either one.

SuSa

@Xonar
I have more of an issue with Falco's bair and grab then I do his lasers. You don't punish IAP, you powershield it. Also again, I've played Larry (sadly, only in doubles. But we had a few 1vs1 scenarios in doubles. And in one case a 2vs1 AGAINST me that I had ended up winning....), I've played SK92, and other Falco's.

I have a MUCH larger issue fighting a Falco who uses Lasers more or less to cover THEIR options rather then to LIMIT mine. The more they use the Laser, the easier the matchup is for me.

Even at high levels of play, people react the same to scenarios in most cases. Yes, they do mix it up. Do they mix it up all the time? No.

Against IAP, I can simply predict you will IAP, bait the IAP, dash the other way and punish. If I was wrong, boo-hoo. I just put myself into a safe zone, now I get to walk up to you shielding lasers again. So even if I mispredicted, nothing bad really happened.

@Crow
All of those tend to only be frame traps at best.

Landing isn't very exploitable for most projectiles. End lag is however.

To a degree, yes. That was a scenario I left out. However even those have a certain spacing into them. (Those have stranger zones then the normal projectiles. Mid range tends to be red flag, long range tends to be danger, and close range is safe.)

Crow!

Smash Lord

Landing isn't very exploitable for most projectiles.
Please explain. To my understanding, going from being in the air to being on the ground will always contain at least a few frames of non-invincibility and non-shielding. Given a transcendent projectile (so they can't swat it away with an aireal) which is timed so that it will be at the time and place the character is landing, what do they do?

Clarification: in my scenario, the two characters are sufficiently far away that the one being attacked would normally be in a safe zone, the spammer simply saw the last double jump get used and guessed correctly where the defender would land and shot a projectile (let's say Wolf's blaster) to be at that time and place.

SuSa

That's the thing however.

The Links' have quick drawing, Falco has silent laser, Ivysaur's Razer Leaf (IIRC) is transcendent, Samus's has missile canceling, and nobody else should really be using a projectile while airborne at any range that their landing can be punished.

And at most, it's like 2-4 frames that is punishable, so even less people can actually punish that window.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Xonar, you're not paying attention. He's saying that there are places where if he's PSing your lasers, nothing you do will work. If he's anywhere other than those places, he's doing it wrong. So if he's playing the game right, your lasers suck.

Top Bottom