• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Olimar Boards Thread Directory

Capt. Olimar

Smash Cadet
Olimar Boards Thread Directory

This post lists the useful threads in the Olimar boards. Please post any suggestions for useful threads with a link.​

When posting a link to a thread:

Do
* Thread you found very helpful.
* Olimar specific guide to something. (For example, my guide to camping.)
*Active Threads
*Very informational

Don't
*Generally uninformational thread
* Funny thread
* Useless thread

Tips/Rules For Posting in the Boards
* Use common sense.
* Don't make threads about dumb stuff- even if it's not listed in here.
* Before you revive a topic, look to see if the thread is old or outdated. If you're not sure, then post in this thread and ask here; I'll be glad to assist you. Generally, if it's more than a month old, you should not post in it. If that's the case, there will be a small note at the bottom of the page to remind you that it's an old thread.
*Ask questions in the Q&A thread.

Note: DO NOT TAKE THIS THREAD AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT SEARCH.

~Thanks!

~GENERAL~

~GUIDES~

~INFORMATION~

[collapse="Obsolete Threads"][/collapse]

Noa.

Smash Master
The Olimar Boards

This place is kinda dead. Or at least not that active. This is disheartening, :( but we can at least attempt to revive it.

What would be the purposes of these boards? Just to discuss the character promptly named Olimar? Or is it to advance his metagame, sending him leaps and bounds to his maximum potential. Metagame This word is meaningless without application. Players don't really care to improve an abstract concept like Metagame. The goal of these boards should not be to improve a Metagame, but to improve the cold hard solid results these players get. Talking about Metagame this and Metagame that doesn't do any help or prove anything. All that matters are results in the end. The members of the Olimar community should not seek Metagame advancement but personal improvement. I myself only go to these boards just to suck up as much information as possible since

The Farther You'll Go!

So I ask you not to come here to help Olimar the character, but Olimar the players. Help others and they will help you.

But how do we go about this?

I. The Livelihood of the Boards
No one wants to help strangers. Promoting more openness requires us to make better ties with one another. The best way to do this is through social threads. These threads haven't anyting to do with smash, or tourneys. Just about us. We are the most important part of the Olimar Boards. These threads that I'm talking about are:

The Olimar Social Thread

The Olimar Interview Topic

These two threads may seem like useless piles of rubbish. But if we abuse them correctly, these boards would be a lot more inviting. They keep things interesting and lively. If you want to do barely anything for these boards, at least do this.

The social thread is easy to post in. When you go on smashboards just pop in there and post about whatever interesting thing happened to you recently, smash related or otherwise. JUST DO IT!! :mad::mad: Very recently all I did was say "I started using Shoddy Battle" and a whole convo erupted from it. People can always relate to your daily experiences, and sharing them makes the other person through the screen all the more real and human. Thus, the members of the Olimar community stop being strangers and start becoming friends (or enemies :mad088:).

This thread can prosper very well with daily attention. A problem is that a lot of you have other things to do on smashboards *cough*Hilt*cough* or simply forget about these boards. Here's the remedy:

Here's the homepage for smashboards.

Now before doing anything, click on User CP.

Here it shows all the threads that you are subscribed to with new posts. This is very useful since you don't have to travel to each subsectional forum in search of those threads that you have to check. Also, this way you won't miss it when someone posts in the Oli social thread.

To actually go to a thread click on the little blue arrow.

And it takes you to the first post in the thread which you haven't read. How amazing is that?!

To use this feature you obviously have to start subscribing to threads that you want to check. To do this just go to the top of the thread and click Thread Tools.

Then click Subscribe to Thread and you're done!

And even easier method is to just setup your account so that whichever thread you post in, you're automatically subscribed to it. To do this just go to User CP>Edit Options.

The interview thread is nice since we can find out almost everything about a member of the board. It works really well in promoting livelihood.

II. Improving the Players
Back to the original point, we want the members of the Olimar community to improve as players.

Here's one of the best ways imo. After every single tourney find another member to just talk about the tourney. Tell them about everything, who you lost to and who you beat. Why you lost and won. About any epiphanies you had or perhaps failures. Actually saying these things helps to solidify yourself as to what kind of player you are. What are your weaknesses and strengths. What other players and characters are threats to you. Talking about this stuff with another person can really help, and hopefully the person may be able to help you. If we did this you should see an increase in tournament performance and an increase in community bonding.

For aim contact information, check this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265884

Another very important topic to note. Players mostly need help on certain matchups. In response to that, we had the Impact Site put in place. The idea is grand, but the execution... not so much. We really need people to stop being lazy and write up those matchup analyses. It's really important that we have all the key characters done to help all the Olimars.

I agree that it's important that we all contribute to a certain writeup. Use the first one as a base and build off it. This is especially important since different regions play differently and no player can write the perfect analysis.

But before really startig on that, we should finish the important matchups we haven't done. Of the top tiers that remain:
MK: Dabuz's post I feel can serve as a starting point.
Snake: No one has claimed this one.
Diddy: Rich still needs to write this one.
Falco: I feel like Rich did a wonderful job. Even if they are a little more important details that need to be added, he certainly put the meat of the matchup there.
IC: Logic asked for it but he hasn't contacted us in a while. He knows the matchup reeeeaaaallllyyy well though so I can't wait for it.
Marth: An important matchup that needs to be covered. I'm sure Dan knows it well enough to write a good base.
Wario: Warios aren't common, but it's an important matchup that's difficult to play. No one has claime it.
DDD: BrianH's info is a bit lacking. Probably not from a lack of knowledge but just merely not devoting much time to it.
Pikachu: I really doubt that Olimars have difficulty with this matchup, but it's still important and no one has taken it.
Oli ditto: Wer got this one but he still hasn't posted it.
Lucario: Hilt I'd an amazing writeup. I feel like I know the matchup now even though I've almost never played it. XD
Middle tier matchups were well done, but I thnk Luigi is pretty important.

So yeah, someone get some matchups.
Some of you know these matchups, but don't know how to convey your knowledge onto paper. In this way I can help. I'll write an outline for you, and all you have to do is fill it. Of course you don't have to do it exactly this way. Change it up however you want. This is just for people who need some physical provocation.

1. Basic Matchup Summary - Just a small paragraph detailing whose advantage it is and why.
2. Move Discussion - In here you want to state what moves give Olimar trouble, and how to prepare/counter against them. Don't bother going over unimportant moves though. Do we really need to know how to handle Snake's dtilt?
3. Zones - This mostly has to do with the characters spacing in correlation with each other. Spacing is a very important part of a matchup, as certain distances can really skew the match into one character's favor. Both vertical spacing and horizontal spacing are important. For horizontal spacing, consider that within ftilt range, Olimar gets ***** by Snake, but outside of that range Oli does very well and always carries a slight advantage. In the case of vertical spacing, look at how skewed the matchup is when ROB is above Olimar compared to when they're both at ground level.
4. Camping - Against certain characters, Olimar needs to camp a specific way to outcamp them. Consider Falco and Snake.
5. Edgeguarding - This really only matters for characters who have specific edgeguarding techniques that are unusual and effective. Consider Peach and her turnips.
6. General stuff - Just general tips and strategies that aren't covered by anything else.
7. Stages - Counterpicks and bans.

It's easy to write a matchup analyses imo.

This prospect is to help newer players and again increase community bonding. We need to write a better guide. Fino's guide right now is fine and all, but we should really make a more comprehensive guide that reflects our current metagame. What should happen is that everyone should take a couple of the articles that make up the guide and write them out. It's really not that difficult.

The guide should look like basically this:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
*To skip to a section, Ctrl + F and search for its 4-letter code. For sections mentioned multiple times, you may need to skip forward a little bit.
I. I Choose You, Pikachu! [ARAT]
A Little Background Info [BGNF]
Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. Brawl [BPKA]
Why Choose Pikachu? [WHAI]
Strengths & Weaknesses [PRCN]
II. Move Analysis [MVAN]

III. Offensive Maneuvers [OFSV]
Approaching [APRH]
Combos & Pseudo-Combos [CMBO]
Juggling [JGLG]
Getting the Kill [GTKO]
Edgeguarding/Gimping [EDGP]
Tech Chasing [TCCH]
IV. Defensive Maneuvers [DFSV]
Spacing & Stage Control [STCN]
It's Not Camping, It's "Projectile Spacing" [CMPG]
Baiting & Punishing [BTPN]
Evasion Tactics [EVSN]
V. You Must Recover! [RCVR]
DI & Momentum Canceling [DIMC]
Returning to the Stage [RTRN]
VI. Past the Basics: Advanced Techniques for Pika [ADVT]
Quick Attack Techs [QATC]
Advanced Grab Game [GRBG]
Jab Lock & the 0-Death Combo [JBLK]
Glide Tossing [GLDT]
Minor Techniques [MNTC]
VII. Stage-Specific Shenanigans [STGE]

VIII. Pikachu's Got Mindgamez [MNDG]
General Mindgames [GENM]
Advanced Movement Techniques [ADVM]
Playing with Thunder [THND]
Annoying Your Opponent [ANNY]
Pika Pikaa~aa! (a.k.a. Taunting) [PKAA]
IX. Frequently Asked Questions [PFQS]

X. Navigating the Pikachu Boards [NAVG]

XI. Credits [CRDT]

But Olimar version. Some things will obviously need to be changed, creating this really does help the community and new players.

III. Improving the Information
Yes, the cold hard data that the Olimar community contains needs to be updated and solidified.

Here we have our frame data thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225377

Here's the Snake frame data thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242407

No offense to Hilt, but their thread is a lot more in depth. Like Titanic kind of depth. We need someone(s) to complete our frame data. With uber frame data info, some super braniac will analyze a zero to death combo. Maybe...

We also need substantial matchup data. A general consensus on matchup ratios should be arrived at. This is just really for reference. Everyone should simply post their opinions on all matchups on the game. First we'll start with simple terms, and then eventually get into more specific ratios. These are the terms and definitions that we go by:

Even matchups; means that both characters share around an equal amount of weaknesses and advantages. The better player will always win, an equally skilled players go back and forth.

Advantageous and disadvantageous matchups; signifies that a character has a significant head on aa matchup. The better player will still always win, but between equal players the advantageous player will win almost every match, albeit closely.

Unwinnable matchups; are when a character completely shuts downs the other. The advantageous character will always win, even if the other player is better.

We need to have a nice general matchup spread chart for general reference.

That's the end of it!​
(for now)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good **** draco. :)

Gonna try to address each topic individually. I've actually started on a thread like this a few times, decided against it though. Glad to see you got one up though :D Looks great, I'll be looking forward to seeing it added onto.

Frame Data - Already started. I got the frames for the hitboxes, and both hitstun and hitlag for fair and bair (bair has two sets of hitstun for both the sweet spot and sour spot) for each color. I'll be doing the rest of the moveset in my spare time, as well as getting shieldstun information as well.

I agree that Deflowered needs a revamp. We need some way to communicate better and work on a bigger, better guide. Even if Fino gets unbanned, I think the thread should be created by more than just him.

Yeah we need a better collection of matchup numbers.

Big Advantage
Advantage
Slight Advantage
Even
Slight Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Big Disadvantage

That's what we use in the sbr and i think it'd be the best way to do it. Simple, not overly complicated, works well. I think we need to create a thread that incorporates this.

love the thread, Noa :D

thebrute7

Smash Rookie
I agree, and I'll try to post more espescially in the social thread since I don't really have a lot to say about Oli strategy and can't really post vids since I can't get to another tourney till after school gets out and I graduate :p

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I want to help strangers. ._.

Glad someone finally said all of this. You're quickly becoming one of my favorite people, Draco. ^_^

This actually has really weird timing. Just today, someone mentioned Olimar's pluck percentages to me and I suddenly thought "Holy ****, did I ever give what I had to Hilt!?"
So Hilt, I have pluck percentages for the second (earthy) and third (metallic) stages, as well as a few of the gimmick objects. Do you still need that info? If yes, do you also need the first stage done?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Actually, I don't think I ever got that from you :O If you still have it, then yeah that would definitely be helpful :) You don't have to do the other section unless you have absolutely nothing else to do XD

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'll do the other section after I finish the gimmick objects, then. I've been looking for something to do with all the boring that comes after the first blast of spring.

BTW. You averaged one emoticon per sentence in that last post.

Denti

Smash Master
lol i'm all down for helping i guess. I went to Whobo and tried to get zori to do some stuff with me, but he just made a post on the Houston boards about quitting or showing up later after 6 months so that didn't work. olimar is so **** complex, trying to address the mechanics of olimar isn't what we should do.. maybe how to survive, space, and get kills? whatevz, this isn't the first thread trying to revive the oli boards in the past year.. not trying to sound like i'm downing your thread, i'm just saying nothing has changed so it's guna take something different other than this to revive the oli boards.

on a side note, i've seen olimar improving overall across the nation. if we keep things going as they are he will go up on the tier list :D

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The tier list is insignificant. Individual performance is what is important.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There's a reason tier lists change so often, Denti.

Noa.

Smash Master
Denti, I think Coud really means that we need to focus on the players that main Olimar and not Olimar himself.

Hilt, Im glad your expanding the frame data thread. I wonder if any can help you, if you need any help that is.

Also, I hope everyone realizes they should be spamming the social threa. That was an important point of the OP.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
drac great thread as always.......your right about personal gain, that's my #1 reasonj for coming here. We all gotta help each other out. But im telling u guys right now, wifi is a great tool. U can get help on mus and overall look at a different way of playing the game. Many boards have a wifi thread. We need one.

The social thread is probably one of the most active threads. Your completely right about wanting to spam it.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Wifi thread? We all play olimar. Oli dittos are the most homo of homo.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Pshh no what kind of non legit blue glove wearing person has a secondary? I cp Marth's to frigate orpheon with olimar. I've never had to though

Denti

Smash Master
I'm not really much of a contributor, I'll help you guys with the simple things if ya'll ever want. i wont make a thread or type a page summary on a MU or whatever lol I'm not trying to sound like a douche btw, just being honest that i'm super lazy and unreliable

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Stickied for now. Hopefully this'll become the mother thread for organization in the Olimar Boards and new thread ideas, management of old threads, etc.

Speaking of which, new topic. DanGR won't be active very much, and has basically resigned from smashboards :(. He ran the Interview (now run by Today), the "Link to all useful topics (which I'll either leave as is/edit when needed, or make a new one myself), and the Video Thread. So... we need a new person to run the video thread (again) <_<. So yeah I'll be looking for someone for that.

Also, what happened to Zori?

Noa.

Smash Master
I suppose Ill adopt this thread as the new links thread. It'll also have necessary upcoming projects I suppose. Right now the Oli boards seem to compose of Hilt, Coud, and I, with the occasional other Olinar like Turaz and Denti.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Would you like me to make the first post two posts long so you can have the first be the "Link to useful threads" part and the second be what your thread is composed of now?

Also, come in the xat so we can talk about ideas X:

The Olimar Boards will pick up, it'll just take a bit of time.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I suppose Ill adopt this thread as the new links thread. It'll also have necessary upcoming projects I suppose. Right now the Oli boards seem to compose of Hilt, Coud, and I, with the occasional other Olinar like Turaz and Denti.
I have school. *shrugs*

Noa.

Smash Master
You're one of those occasional other Olimars. I listed Turaz and Denti as examples cause they had just posted. You're cool Saget.

Zori

Smash Champion
yup yup i won't be entering touneys till atleast late june, even then i might quit all together

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If we're organizing the stickied threads, perhaps we should consider what is significant and what could be condensed into other topics. Most well-organized boards have:

-A Social Thread (currently not stickied)
-A Matchup Thread (Zori's thread)
-A Q&A Thread (Zori's OTHER thread)
-A Video Thread (Dan's thread he AFK'd on)
-A Useful Thread listing (To be put in this thread)
-A General Character thread (Fino's thread)
- A Stage discussion thread (Hilt's thread, currently not stickied)
And occasionally
-An Interview thread (Today's thread, currently not stickied)

-A few threads with useful info could be merged with Fino's thread, such as "Everything you need to know about Pikmin" and "Getting KOs". Not saying they should be deleted, just added to the thread (though "Everything You Need to Know About Pikmin" could be merged and unstickied).

-The discussions from the old matchup thread should not be totally discarded either. There was some useful stuff in there. D:
Perhaps Zori's thread could be used to establish a base and tidbits from the matchup discussions could be added or something like that. IDK, just throwing an idea out there.

-The Pikmin Research thread is useful for figuring out what we need to find, too. Olimar Contact List could be merged with the interview thread or just stickied by itself (or perhaps it could be sticked and people could add small biographies or something. IDK).

If any of this sounds like babbling nonsense or stuff that has already been addressed, feel free to criticize or point out flaws. I'll help with the matchup thread when I learn one REALLY well (probably PT). Thought I knew Ike, but Fino pointed something out yesterday and... now I don't know Ike.

EDIT: Zori might be quitting? ****, so many people are quitting nowadays. D:

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah those are all good ideas Coud. Their could be a thread that contains player bios, and acts as a player finder plus wifi. I hope yiu know what I mean. Whether this should be added to the social or interview thread or maybe even created into it's own entire thread.

The matchup discussion threads should be scoured for information that should be added to the Impact Site.

The mini guides should all be absorbed into the new community guide, which we should really start. Someone should become the head of it and organize it or something.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If nobody wants to do it and it's just organizing data, I would be willing to do it.
Just let me know.

Should dabuz's Metaknight guide be put in Zori's thread?

Noa.

Smash Master
Oh yeah definetly. Dabuz's mk post is a matchup analysis.

Being the head of the guide is basically being the editor. You also do the formatting and stuff.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Gotcha. So the editor creates the base thread and edits and organizes new info?
I could do that. Let me know if you want me to.

Top Bottom