• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AR Concepts! Video, Sketches, and Photos Inside! Give me your feedback!

Sliq

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=3304]AR Concepts! Video, Sketches, and Photos Inside! Give me your feedback! [/drupal]

Some of you have taken several surveys for me to help me with a school project--for this I thank you. Now is the time to see what I have been working on!

Augmented Reality

If you don't know what Augmented Reality (AR) is, check out these videos to better understand what I'll be working with.

This video shows very primitive AR that requires a marker for the graphics.

This video is a demo from BMW on using AR to repair a vehicle. This has no markers, and is more like what I will be trying to do.

Now that you know what AR is, let's get to what I'm doing.

My Project

My project is to use AR to create video games that get kids more active, due to the rising obesity rate in the United States. For more details, check out this PDF that has the introductory part of my project in a neat little package:

Project Introduction

My Work so Far

Now for the fun part! I have a bunch of concepts, and I need you guys to tell me what you think. Give me suggestions, tell me what you like, what you don't like, whatever. I've included some video of my concepts you can check out, as well as scanned sketches and photos.

Videos:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Concept Sketches:

Standalone
These concepts are standalone products, meaning that each unit is in essence a console, each one requiring a game. I don't feel this is optimum, as a central console would be best, but let's hear what you guys think. Click the image to view it larger.

For these concepts, I left the ear open, for safety purposes. If I fully enveloped the ear for in game sound effects, it would muffle the outside sound which poses a safety hazard.

A

This is the concept I'm leaning the most towards. What you have is the CPU in the back, and that is where the game/flash memory would be stored, as well as the battery. Goggles are pretty much necessary to allow for a display, as well as hug the head snugly. The form could use some work, but this is my personal choice in terms of concepts.

B

This is probably my last choice. There's just too much going on in the front. I think being as minimal in the front is probably the best bet.

C

As it is now, this concept won't work. The whole thing needs to be taut around the head, and the viewing piece as it is now doesn't have that. The viewing piece has to make contact with the face in order to keep everything tight, and this doesn't do that, albeit this is where I want to go in terms of minimizing the front end.

Console

The premise behind this is that their is a central console that wireless transfers the game (similar to DS download play) to each individual console. Then the game relays streaming data about the game as it is being played, similarly to how online gaming works. I feel like this is the best option, considering each person won't have to have a copy of the game in order to play.

A

I'm a fan of this concept a lot, albeit the sketch doesn't do it justice. The ends house the wireless antennae, as well as rotate to form feet, creating a robotic looking console which I think is pretty cool. I haven't worked out where the game or buttons go, but I like this form the best.

B

I chose this form just because I really liked it. The 3-D model I made of it is a bit taller than what I sketched it as, which might be the problem, but I'm not really a fan of it. It's decent enough, but I just like the first one much better.

Peripherals

Laser Tag

Based off of your feedback, sales, as well as critical reception, shooting games rank very highly, so I will definitely be doing a gun type peripheral for some sort of laser tag game. More likely than not it will focus on team based games, most likely capture the flag. I want to downplay the violence aspect, so I don't feel like a deathmatch mode should be the most prominent.

Golf Club

I did this concept before I got all of your feedback, because sports games sell well and are critically acclaimed. However, hardly anyone listed sports games, so this concept might be a bust, but who knows. As you swing the controller, a motor activates to simulate impact with the ball, and the AR makes it seem like 30 feet is around 300 yards so you have plenty of room in your backyard to play. I don't think this concept is too strong as their isn't a whole lot of exercise involved. I feel like sports based games are a waste of time, since you can just play the sport without this expensive equipment., but I'm not sure what you guys think.

Gesture Based

This glove is obsolete. It's dead to me. I initially developed it to act as a marker so the software could pick up your hand, but it can do that without the glove, making it pointless. The premise behind this would be that you simply use hand gestures in order to activate certain gameplay elements. A lot of adventure based game design will be platforming and dodging a virtual obstacle course, as well as exploration. Less offense, more defense. I might include real world objects, like you throw a ball at an enemy to defeat them or something like that.

Other Work

This is just extraneous work that I have created to get to the point I am at. No notes, really, just look at what I have and make a note of it for later commenting.

What I need from you

Give me your feedback. Tell me what you like, what you don't like, give me suggestions, anything you can tell me will help a lot. I've made some questions which may help you give helpful feedback.

What concepts do you like? What concepts do you not like?

What do you like aesthetically? What don't you like? (appearance)

What do you like functionally? What don't you like? (how it works)

What game play elements would you like to see?

What peripherals would you like to see?

Should I incorporate voice chat (walkie-talkie-esque)?

Should I incorporate force feedback?

Do you want the head mounted units to be less pronounced, or is visibility of the unit not an issue (i.e. at first glance someone might not recognize you had on the gear vs. creating an interesting aesthetic that is apparent)? Think the difference between glasses and snowboarding goggles.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. If you have a suggestion, if you get it in early enough, I'll try to sketch it out and get some feedback on it.

Please, I need your feedback to help make some decisions for my progress. Through the week I will try to update this page with new work as I create it to get more feedback. This input phase of the project lasts until Sunday (not to say I won't take any more help, but after Sunday I have to move forward), so give me as much help as you can!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What concepts do you like? What concepts do you not like?
I really enjoy the first A model of the console you have there, especially with the idea of the rotating feet housing antennae making it practical and cool looking. The form factor is sleek, but it might need a little bit more going on to be honest. Even though this is being marketed towards kids, I feel this will be treated too much like a toy if it's exactly how it is now.

There's something about the A visor I don't like. Can't peg it exactly, but I think it's the harness' across the top of the head.

What do you like aesthetically? What don't you like? (appearance)
I guess I sort of answered this in the last question.

What do you like functionally? What don't you like? (how it works)
The only thing I'm wary of is housing the CPU and such in the back of the unit behind your head. People are much more likely to hit the back of their head than the front sitting down leaning back or something. People are naturally more cautious with the front of their head. Though having extra space and weight on the front of the head doesn't exactly make sense, so it's a toss up there.

What game play elements would you like to see?
Even though it's not an active thing really, I think some kind of AR spray painting/grafitti thing would be awesome. Could also help get kids to not do it for real since they can just use the visor and do it to their hearts content without getting in trouble, and use neat effects that aren't possible in real life.

What peripherals would you like to see?
GPS add on to track player's locations.

Should I incorporate voice chat (walkie-talkie-esque)?
As an add on.

Should I incorporate force feedback?
Initially no. Do it as an add on but instead do it right. Do it for more of a hardcore kind of audience that would want the sort of thing. I have seen attachments like a vest with multiple feedback sensors with the appropriate one being triggered as needed (think laser tag where the area of the body you were hit at receives feedback)

Do you want the head mounted units to be less pronounced, or is visibility of the unit not an issue (i.e. at first glance someone might not recognize you had on the gear vs. creating an interesting aesthetic that is apparent)? Think the difference between glasses and snowboarding goggles.
This is majorly up to you, I personally don't mind. To get thinking about it, compare it to bluetooth headsets. Do you like seeing people walking down the street randomly talking aloud and not realize they are on a cell phone or wondering if they are crazy? Also consider safety concerns.
There ya go

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I'll give you feedback by editing this post, only if you accurately label the pound 3 crew battle matches where i butthurt trail and souroush in front of everyone

Top Bottom