• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do YOU do to prepare for a tourney?

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
The thread title is pretty self explanitory. Besides getting a good nights sleep, eating breakfast, and taking my methylphenidate (prescribed) in the morning to help me concentrate. I have generalized anxiety disorder which causes me to get more stressed/anxious by ordinary things like tripping, messing up input, getting gimped, etc. than a normal person would which in turn causes me to get very frustrated or panicky. Anyone have any tips for keeping my head on straight or just for preparation in general?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Let's see.

I get a good night's sleep the night before.

Wake up and take a shower. If I wake up early enough, I turn on Brawl and practice IC CGs for about 5 minutes.

From now on, after reading HugS' tourney advice, and seeing RichBrown's blog on it, I'm not fapping for about 3-7 days prior to a tournament. Apparently it helps lol

I eat a lot after waking up, so that I don't get hungry while at the tourney.

And after waking up I dress in whatever is the most comfortable, which is usually like pajamas and some slippers XD

Being well rested makes a huuuuuge difference, though.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Like any video game, don't go in expecting to win, just go in to have fun.

Oh yes, and shower.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I think you should go in with your goal to win but your mentality going into matches shouldn't be, "Crap, I can't lose," it should be, "I can win this match." Focus on improving yourself and view all of your opponents as equal, even if they're much better/much worse than you, so you can focus better and improve.

Winning isn't a priority, but it's a goal.

But like everyone else said, get a good nights sleep and SHOWER BEFORE and PUT ON DEODORANT, and eat a good breakfast. I usually wake up so I have like 30 minutes free time after all of that. I might play a match vs. a level 3 computer real quick, but usually I'll just refresh things I learned recently and match-ups in my head.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Shower before, not after.
This. This this this this this.

This.

I generally go to sleep at like, midnight the day before. Wake up at 7 or 8 depending on my departure time and take a shower, eat, etc. Pack my stuff, double check it, triple check it, get in the car, check my stuff again, then go. I make sure to pack at least 3 bottles of water and a sleeve of Ritz crackers to keep me energized during the tournament. Those crackers are DELICIOUS.

Oh, I also bring a can of:

Geddan

Smash Ace
i have generalized anxiety disorder as well. tips for staying calm, don't take the match TOO seriously. if you have anxiety no matter what it's going to be nerve racking, but the moment you get too into the match, you'll just stress yourself out and end up making more errors.

Limeee

Smash Champion
in the morning i shower, eat breakfest, brush my teeth, and if i have time i practice just general simple movements

like snakedashing (i screw it up sometimes >.<), and grenade techs

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I smash a ton the night before, but still make sure to get a good sleep. I wake up early enough to take a shower, get a good breakfast, and be able to mess around in training mode for at least 30 minutes to make sure all my movements are on point. That's really it.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Um, usually I shower after five hours of sleep, then mapquest the venue (I pretty much always get lost) and then grab a breakfast burrito on the way.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Daydream about a certain person.

Come on, guys, you can't tell me you don't do this! Thinking about a certain person doesn't put you in a good mood? Aliens I say!

D

Deleted member

epic isolation, relaxing music, tons of pre-play. i actually eat a good breakfast, and drink a ton of water.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Daydream about a certain person.

Come on, guys, you can't tell me you don't do this! Thinking about a certain person doesn't put you in a good mood? Aliens I say!
gay

Let's see.

From now on, after reading HugS' tourney advice, and seeing RichBrown's blog on it, I'm not fapping for about 3-7 days prior to a tournament. Apparently it helps lol
**** i could be placing 1st instead of 4th LOL, link to blog

The salt is spreading
it already was foo, look at the oceans.

ummm other than making sure i have water and try and eat healthy nothing. i do a lot subconsciously though without thinking about it, and if i dont practice tech skill the morning of / night before i generally do worse, especially if i decide to go a char that requires something other than b

Limeee

Smash Champion
football players aren't allowed (not supposed to) have sex before a game. i remember hearing that somewhere

coming from richbrowns blog, i'm pretty sure thats legit

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Normally i eat a good breakfest, practice some of shine combos and curving fire fox. Other then that i just take a shower and keep a good mentality.

Frio

Smash Champion
I just shower, eat, and then go to the tourney. I use doubles to warm me up for singles =/

vato_break

Smash Master
i think masterbaiting is a must! not masterbaiting gives you stress and some people are crushed under too much stress or get fustrated to easily. As for what i do to prepare for tournaments, well i crack my knuckles! ;)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Look over who's gonna be there, and look over my matchups.

Also, go to bed REALLY EARLY. Like... I think I went to bed at like 8:30 before last my tourney, that's how early I went to be. Last thing you want to be is tired.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
lets see for MLG i trained abit by myself

made sure to friendy people when i got to the venue[i slacked abit gotta conserve energy for main event right]

i barely slept LOL i had no sleep day 2

then when im about to enter a match or while im playing it i dont think of anything. The only time i stop to think is when my spidie senses are tingling...

having a warm freshly cooked meal does make all the difference omg

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
all the people who have shower on the list is straight nasty and be the ones make the venue's smell =/.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I personally masturbate in between games in a set.

People are reluctant to shake my hand afterwards but whatever.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I usually get high enough to think I'm Buzz Lightyear, then pretend I'm falling with style as I make my way there. By the time I've arrived, I've already made two trips to Pizza Planet with my boy Woody and got some from Bo Peep. Straight up ready to go for the tournament when I return back to Planet Earth.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm always ready all the time. Smash is my life, and hence I'm never in a state where I'm unprepared for Smash. As long as I haven't been awake for over 22 hours, or played Smash for 2/3s the time I was awake for 3 days in a row.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I usually don't do anything. I get all my practice in in friendlies before the tourney starts, even if I may not have played for weeks prior.

Top Bottom