• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Doubles Partner- Export

Diddy Kong Doubles Partner Export

Strengths and Gimmicks: What does Diddy provide Lucario in terms of gimmicks and general support? So how about them Nanners? How to effectively use Bananas as a team

**** everyone lets discuss it anyway.
Lucario + Diddy is a **** team.
Bananas give you a free AS, Free Dsmash, Free Fsmash, and free aerials sometimes even.
Diddy is like, one of the best support tanks ever. I think he's better then wario for an aggro luc just because he puts bananas on the field.
I really didn't like Diddy at first because my partner was a little inconsiderate with the bananas. Once you get used to it, though, you can really start to abuse the bananas yourself. At closer ranges you can banana > fsmash, and at longer ranges, you've got....

AS + Bananas. This is one of the best things this team has to offer. Your opponents will eat SOOOOO many FCAS if you set it up right. The main strategy here is to try and get on the opposite side of the stage and keep your opponents in a pincer between the two of you. Rain down on them with AS while the diddy showers them in bananas, and watch as it destroys them as they trip and die Even if they roll, the size and speed of the AS hitbox does a very good job of techchasing them. With a little prediction, they eat it almost every single time.

The Game Plan: What should you two do to most effectively win the match? The set? How should you synergize when Bananas are put into the equation?

Lucario's ability to wall off zones, with large extended hitboxes like Fsmash and AS, works very nicely in conjuction with Diddy's bananas, because you can really control the stage. This team is exceptional at laying on the pressure. Diddy forces them into disadvantageous positions, and Lucario severely limits their safe escape options. Consider an opponent that is tripped inbetween Lucario and Diddy. This guy is in a horrible position. If he rolls toward Lucario, he risks eating an Fsmash. If he rolls backward, Lucario can launch an aura sphere at him, and they almost always will eat it if they try to roll away from it (see above), OR they'll get hit by a smash or grab from diddy. If they get up attack, they'll probably eat an AS anyways, and if they stand up normally, they've got to throw their shield up to avoid an oncoming AS or banana, leaving Diddy with a good opportunity for a grab (which they absolutely love to do after chucking bananas, trust me)

In general, you want to stay OUT of Diddy's zone. Lucario is fairly string/combo-oriented, and eating a stray banana in the middle of a combo really sucks. :/ Staying out of his throwing range is generally a good way to prevent this, however it makes it more difficult for the team to help eachother during edgehogs and 2 person grab-combos because, in general, they are farther apart.

This team combination has a sort of learning curve of its own. Diddy's banana play makes him a sort of independent type of character that would not expect to do amazingly well in doubles. It takes some time to realize how to best adapt to the Diddy style of play, and it generally means you will be playing passive-agressive. When I first tried this out, I hated this team, but now I think it's actually quite complimentary.
Idk, I think Diddy/Lucario is a pretty solid team. Diddy really helps with Lulu's slightly lacking projectile game with his Nanners and peanuts. Not to mention the fact that a slip just might buy you a free USmash/DSmash/FCAS.

And like Flamey said, a disadvantaged Lulu and a full-stocked Diddy is pretty ballin'. Diddy can just Nanner spam and you can finish the job with Throws and Nairs, or you can synergize and pull a Wombo Combo, or at least the closest you can in Brawl. If your opponents have bad DI you can aerial juggle them, and if it's only one left, you can tilt him between you two.
You, Diddy, and Stages: What stages are ideal for this team?

One of the best stages for this team, in my opinion, is FD. The stage's size gives diddy the space he needs to set up his bananas without tripping his partner too much. I also find that I myself can use his bananas to great effect on this stage. Japes is a fairly notable counterpick for this team, as Diddy's monkey flip makes him good at recovering against the water, and large blastzones are good for lucario (although it's possible I really like this CP because I sub Falco *shrugs*). Pictochat works decently for some of the same reasons as FD, and frigate, depending on the Diddy's preference, is also a pretty good counterpick.
Role Playing: What roles should you each take up to make the most out of the teaming?

Support Diddy is the "better" partner for lucario.

A good stock tanking and supportive diddy will fare better then an aggressive lead diddy, but lucario and diddy can still switch roles.

Diddy is better at saving lucario then lucario is at saving diddy, seriously.

You want diddy to have port 4 most of the time.

Learn the range for tossing FCAS pheres under a running diddy too! **** is a good scare tactic.

This team's main weakness though is winning games best out of 5 I think.

Once you run out of really good stages you're forced to use simpler alternatives. :>
--

Things not discussed enough that should be:

-What to do when the other guys decide to 2 vs. 1? What's the best 2 vs. 1 setup for YOU as a team?

-What's the ideal stock distribution? Percentage distribution?

What characters give you the most trouble, and how should you deal with them?

-CONS OF DIDDY AS A TEAMMATE!

--

Overall team rating:

What would you give this team, on a scale from one to ten? How would you rate Diddy Kong as a teammate? I give the overall team, if played well, a high 8. Diddy Kongs Bananas are obviously his best asset here, giving you time to dish out serious damage with Lucario's slower, seldom used smashes. Diddy can also hold his ground should you be at a high percent, due in part by his great speed and general mobility. However, the the danger the Bananas pose to you is most definately not negligable, because if you are teaming with a Diddy that isn't stingy with his fruit, you could end up getting yourself screwed over, and losing a stock.

--

Come on guys, step it up! D: This really wasn't a passable export, but it's all I could scrounge up after the discussion keeled over and died.

We will be discussing other partnerings in the actual doubles thread when the time comes, so please do not clutter this thread with discussion for other teams. This thread is solely for Diddy Kong teammate discussion, and nothing else.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm necroing this because I want to hear more about this team, it sounds interesting, and I could definitely do with some pointers in this team b/c PNW has a lot of Diddy players around.

We need a doubles thread in general, if it means finding more opportunities to do double over singles in terms of making more finds/useful contribution, so be it imo.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
phil talk to me on skype. [contact me on aim before doing so] or call me if you wanna hear about this

I don't wannna type my arm hurtsssssssss

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
I main Diddy and I teamed with Draver(aka Loota) a couple of months ago using this Lucario+Diddy setup. It was the first time we teamed so it was a bit rough.

Anyway, when you're in a 2-1 situation, the first thing you should do, is pull out your naners.

I don't think that Frigate Orpheon is a good CP-stage for this team, you're better off with Lylat Cruise for example, because Diddy has a harder time recovering in Frigate and Lylat is big enough for this team. PS1 works well too.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Man when I played with this team, this was a pretty good team. Bananas are soooooooo useful for all sorts of things, and both players can pin the opponent in a ton of pressure.

First tourney I used this team I kinda thought since Diddy mostly uses his air game mainly for punishing, that I would just cover the air which made the opponent more susceptible to banana throws and diddy shenanigans.

I frankly love this team, it's not Anubis, but it's pretty legit.

Top Bottom