• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to import OBJ into brawl

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
HOW TO IMPORT OBJ MODEL INTO BRAWL
yes, it is possibly to have OBJ in your brawl now but BEWARE it is limited
it is great for stages but not so good for characters :/ it add only one bone
this tutorial is most to 3DS MAX since I dont know about the other model program.

Things you need
§ brawlbox
§ SZS modifier
§ a mario kart wii stage.szs you can temporaly use (if you dont have any, try this stage: http://www.mediafire.com/?y2i1yym2m3q)
§ fortwaffles mdl0 porting program - all 3 (matfix, polyfix, headerfix)
§ 3DS max
§ a OBJ model (it can be any other model but at least the model program can convert it)

1. First, open up 3DS MAX and import your OBJ. if you want, you can create your own model.

2. then you're done, select your model and export as OBJ (wavefront).
you will see a settnings screen. MAKE SURE you have "triangles" on faces in the slidebar!
or else it wont work.

3. once you have exportet your model, reset 3DS MAX with a new file and import the model you exported! and this time make sure "import as a single mess" is on!

4. repeat step 2.

5. you are done with 3DS MAX, right click on you OBJ model you exported and open "notepad".

6. press "Ctrl + H" or "edit -> replace"

7. write down "." in the first and write down "," in the second. this make all the dots will be "," dots since SZS have extreme buggy to read "." and save

8. open up your SZS modifier and stage and choose one model from there. best choice is course model -> course since it is the biggest.

9. press file and select import and choose your OBJ and wait until it is finish.
(one tip. select all polygons or it won't be enough with space)

10. go out from the course and save if it asking you to save then you leave. now, SAVE or SAVE AS FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! then you have done it. close and open up it again, select "course model" (or the one you picked) and right-click on it and choose "export raw data". make sure you naming it ".brres" at the end, or else it will be raw data.

11. close the SZS and start fortwaffle's mdl0 porting on the brres you exported from SZS.

12. open your brres in brawlbox and see your file.

13. TA-DAH!
(example and the first OBJ stage ever made in brawl :p)
your OBJ model is in brawlbox and ready to use in game.
I bet you know how to make characters / stages by you own x3
you maybe have to texture your model if it doesn't look good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-Go_UWBfE video ex about the stage on pic above

Q and A
Q: my SZS saying the obj model is an "invalid file" what should I do?
A: you proberaly missed step 5-6, it is often that steps that fix the problem

Q: My SZS want to seek after MTH file, what should I do?
A: it is because the OBJ file is connect with MTH if you used or download the model and SZS can only open one file at the time. do step 1-6 and try again

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Make a video !
Make a video !
Make a video !

:3
I will but dont know how, last time I recorded in a screen recorder, premiere cant rend it well :/
I finished the Keyblade:
*EPIC KEYBLADE!*
It is divided into to Polygons (Polygon9 being the blade and Mickey's head and Polygon12 being the chain).
epic! :3

oh, could you explain more exactly how to make proper textures? I don't know If I missing something or something like that xD

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I do see that the model I have now is a bit big in file size (371kb).
Any way to resize that?
dont know :/ maybe you can scale it down in 3DS MAX and then see how it goes.

if it not working I maybe suggoust reduce polygons but BEWARE, the model can get uglier D:
and I dont know how too either ^^;

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
You should put "Guide" in front of the name, because this is a very good guide, but the name makes it look like a question that has an obvious answer.

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
i would do this, but ummmmm now 3ds max i'll try this with wings 3d. and see if that works.

EDIT:

tried and failed. sorry.

n64billy

Smash Ace
Pikazz.... bad news :(

I can't get it to work.... I don't have any Mario Kart Stages to test it on (Don't want to rip my ISO, I don't have time right now) so was just trying to import it into NSMB/PokePark files... but they didn't work....

Would you have a good copy of a Mario Kart Stage I could use to insert my OBJ into?

FLSHK

Smash Cadet
This stuff looks promising. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a program(s) to do some of this stuff automatically.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Pikazz.... bad news :(

I can't get it to work.... I don't have any Mario Kart Stages to test it on (Don't want to rip my ISO, I don't have time right now) so was just trying to import it into NSMB/PokePark files... but they didn't work....

Would you have a good copy of a Mario Kart Stage I could use to insert my OBJ into?
oh sure :3
http://www.mediafire.com/?y2i1yym2m3q
I believe this is the biggest stage xD
This stuff looks promising. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a program(s) to do some of this stuff automatically.
I hope for that program too

Bero

Smash Journeyman
So, has model importing been finished?
If you have really finished it, I will add model importing to my next to-do list.

EDIT
Oh... You have really succeeded to model importing. I saw mewtwo, and decided to study obj format(mdl0 has already been analyzed by Kryal)

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
when i try to import the model in 3ds max it keeps saying that it is an invalid file
im using 3ds max 8 and it has an different import and export screen than the pics in this guide
can anyone tell me which setting i have to use in 3ds max 8
here are the pics
export

import

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
when i try to import the model in 3ds max it keeps saying that it is an invalid file
im using 3ds max 8 and it has an different import and export screen than the pics in this guide
can anyone tell me which setting i have to use in 3ds max 8
here are the pics
export

import
did you make the model by yourself or did you download it?

it can depence on 2 things. It doesn't work with 3dsmax 8 or are the model itself broken.

try to make a obj and export and then import and see what you get

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
did you make the model by yourself or did you download it?

it can depence on 2 things. It doesn't work with 3dsmax 8 or are the model itself broken.

try to make a obj and export and then import and see what you get
i made the model my self
i try it with different settings
what version of 3ds max are you using?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
I keep getting an error from SZS Mod saying that my modle is too complex.... i used it on a course model though, why it be mean? :confused:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Question: Can you morph normal MLD0 files on to other MLD0s? Like say... Scizor over Sonic?
do you mean brawl to other games?
I keep getting an error from SZS Mod saying that my modle is too complex.... i used it on a course model though, why it be mean? :confused:
have you select all the polygons? (ctrl + click or shift + click)
if you have selectall and still got the message, the model is too big and too complex to be converted :/

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
Hey. I am Wacka Alpaca, and I am the largest provider of brawl modding video tutorials.
I would love to cover your new method, and will add it to my blogs poll, for my viewers to vote for.
I hope they will vote for it in the next poll!

Thank you for sharing with the community this great new way to gt models!

n64billy

Smash Ace
I used the same stage as you but I'm still getting a massively big importing error.... :(

And on a side note...
Why don't you just make the guide...? Of course people will want it... not everyone votes for stuff though (For example, I didn't even know you had a site)

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
So, has model importing been finished?
If you have really finished it, I will add model importing to my next to-do list.

EDIT
Oh... You have really succeeded to model importing. I saw mewtwo, and decided to study obj format(mdl0 has already been analyzed by Kryal)
oh :D
hope you find something good
I think he's asking if he can give Sonic's bones to Scizor and have him as a one-slot Sonic replacement.
if that is the case. no since this method only gives ONE bone and will make it in T-pose :/
Might I suggest some thing Clock town imported from majora's mask!!! replacing temple!!!
that's is good idea :3
only if we had a Clock tower OBJ file :/
Hey. I am Wacka Alpaca, and I am the largest provider of brawl modding video tutorials.
I would love to cover your new method, and will add it to my blogs poll, for my viewers to vote for.

Thank you for sharing with the community this great new way to gt models!
8D great x3
wanted to make the tutorial by myself but any screen recorder want not to co-operate with my computer / premiere :<
sure, you can do it :3
please add my youtube account on more info on that video x3
I used the same stage as you but I'm still getting a massively big importing error.... :(
what kind of errors? D:
have you select all the polygons? replace all "." with ","? imported as a singel mess and then exported it again?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
-----/DIBBS ON MAKING BOMB-OMB BATTLEFIELD\------

I've wanted Bomb-omb Battlefield as a stage in brawl since brawl's been out.
And since i found a universal model ripper, im oging ot get it in brawl finally!:bee:

ALso how do you import models with textures? Like a box with bricks.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
-----/DIBBS ON MAKING BOMB-OMB BATTLEFIELD\------
****, planned to make this stage years ago T^T
ALso how do you import models with textures? Like a box with bricks.
you will import the textures in brawlbox later on x3.
but you have to figure out what for textures they are using and replace them later.
and if it are one polygon and using more textures, you need to make them on different polygons so they using different textures like I helped with GameWatching's dashpepper :/
will update the tutorial more soon with that.

oh, so you can rip models? :D
can help me with 3 models from SM64?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
****, planned to make this stage years ago T^T

you will import the textures in brawlbox later on x3.
but you have to figure out what for textures they are using and replace them later.
and if it are one polygon and using more textures, you need to make them on different polygons so they using different textures like I helped with GameWatching's dashpepper :/
will update the tutorial more soon with that.

oh, so you can rip models? :D
can help me with 3 models from SM64?
lol my universal model ripper dont work. :( But i have another method that's more complicated. :)

Edit: I got it working and i've ripped Hyrule castle!!

kangaroogreen

Smash Ace
Urrrrrg. still dosen't work when I try to replace the course with the model.
it just goes to the model window, and it's blank, and it says parsing.... in the bottom-left corner. :(

Top Bottom