• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focusing on Metaknight's weaknesses

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
How many times am I gonna have to say it before you guys realize that we SHOULDN'T BE BANNING STAGES JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE A COUNTERPICK FOR MK?

I swear to god, if Snake was god tier you guys would want to ban Halberd. You do NOT ban stages because they are strong for a character. That is DELIBERATELY and ARTIFICIALLY attempting to balance the tier list by placing unfair and BIASED restrictions on otherwise legitimate stages.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I agree with ADHD, actually. It's ironically appropriate.

Unrelated note.: ADHD's got good taste in anime, if his avatar is any indication.

Also, Raziek is right. We shouldn't be banning stages because MK happens to be able to use it well as a counterpick as well. Like it's mentioned before, he's obviously the best character in the game and someone who works well on any stage. So, naturally he'll still be good on them.

Judo777

Smash Master
No guys MK is good for like a million reasons (Like the fact that he was given almost every good quaality a character can have and like 5 of those qualties are superlative ie frame data, prioirty, recovery are all the best in the game) However the most basic breakdown i can think of is this.

1. MK has the advantage over the entire cast on 95% of the area that any player can be in on the screen. THe only place u might have an advantage against MK is right next to him on the ground in some ranges and on the ground further than MK's immediate options. Everywhere else air included MK has the advantage.

2. MK has a few bad qualities. However he has the ability to make his bad qualities irrelevant via his million options. MK's air speed is bad, but who cares he can glide and tornado what does his regular speed matter that much. MK's b moves put him in helpless state, but he can cancel all of them using proper mobility and spacing. MK is low weight but he's got the best momentum cancel in the game that doesn't have a brake like DK and GW. I'm fairly certain that MK's airdodge is one of the worst 3 i think (either that or best 3 but either way) but that doesnt matter cause MK never has to airdodge.

3. MK can almost never be put in a bad situation cause hes almost always got 2 things on his number 1 he has to be in the 5% of the screen where u can have the advantage positionally and hes almost always got frame advantage on everyone. ANd in the rare occaison that u manage to actually put him in a bad spot his mobility and options are so safe he can just go to another spot.

Fun fact MK is the only character in the game that gets major advantages from being under u when ur in the air and over u when ur on the ground. HE's got the advantyage on in both situations.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Yeah, in Brawl, being on the ledge or above your opponent is usually a bad thing. In MK's case, I never see him have issues in either position.

(Same for Game and Watch, but still.)

Edit:

DETAILS
S Rank «Uber» 44.90%
1 :metaknight: Meta Knight (213 top8, 143 top4, 94 top2, 100 wins, 550 total) - 4344.2 (+160.6)
2 :snake: Snake (143 top8, 88 top4, 33 top2, 67 wins, 331 total) - 2204.2 (+81.9)
O.O Woah...

Source- Please note this is more of a character usage list, but still.

humble

Smash Ace
Chinks in his mask; exploring Metaknight's flaws

This thread was made to explore metaknight's weaknesses. It's disappointing then to see then how far this thread has been derailed and taken off course. To be clear, Metaknight is without a doubt the best character in this game, and, without a doubt, he also has flaws. Metaknight may have ways to cover his weaknesses with his strengths, but that does not erase there existence, and they are still present in him as a character. To ignore there presence is to quit before you have even begun. He has weaknesses, you have to work to exploit them, but understand that Metaknight is beatable, does have flaws, and I will attempt to explain them as far as I understand. Note that this is my personal opinion and understanding, and should be taken with a grain of salt; this is not established facts, but rather personal opinion. This is not a ban Metaknight thread, nor is it the proper place to discuss anything except Metaknight, his weaknesses, and how to best take advantage of them.

Metaknight has 4 weaknesses- Aerial Mobility, Getting Grabbed, Laser Priority, and The Absence of Projectiles. I will discuss all 4 in-depth and try to explain why each of them is important, and explain overall how to best utilize his weaknesses against him.

- - - - - - - - - - - -​

Flaw 1: Metaknights aerial mobility​

Metaknights greatest weakness, and not one to be casually dismissed. This is a concrete weakness that can be exploited, and let me explain why. Metaknight is a character who is likely to spend quite some time in the air. In fact, most of the match he will be airborne. When you see Metaknight in the air, most people are frightened off by the prospect of approaching him due to his amazing aerial game, with extremely quick large aerials that have transcendent priority and little end lag. It is, in fact, a very reasonable thing to avoid Metaknight in the air, because he has a large number of amazing tools to shut you down and beat your air game easily.

The trouble with Metaknight for many people, is that they have found no defensive options effective against him. He has too little endlag to be properly punished OOS if the Metaknight is a good player, and air dodges, rolls, and spot dodges are equally ineffective. He can't clank, so if you ever go up against him and you both throw out a move, you will lose. All his hitboxes are large disjoints, so you can't trade or hope to him out of anything either!

Understandably, this is overwhelming and shows good reason for Metaknight's dominance and fearsome status. However, the tool I feel most effective against metaknight, and one that has lost alot of attention since Brawl's predecessor Melee, is spacing. The proper placement of your character in relation to your opponent, and properly finding the zone you can best utilize to combat him. Spacing is huge, and its unfortunate that it hasn't gained proper recognition and is not used to its maximum potential.

On the ground, Metaknight is quite fast and thus, quite capable of invading your zone with impunity and pressuring you. In the air, most every character is capable of moving faster then metaknight, and as such you have control over spacing and zoning. This is incredibly integral, and is why I suggest when Metaknight is airborne, you should take to the skies as well. The key is to understand his exact range, your effective range, and your capabilities. To outdo metaknight in the air, the best equipped characters will be those with a range comparable or larger than his, or those with exceptional aerial mobility. Those with disjointed hitboxes certainly also are better off as well.

Metaknight has large aerial hitboxes and little end lag- it would seem he is unbeatable. However, if you remain outside his effective range where he can not hit you, you have full control of the situation and he is incapable of landing a hit- remember, he is limited to what is within his reach due to a lack of projectiles, he cannot reach you if you don't wish him to due to your superior aerial speed, and his specials that would boost his speed in reaching you all have startup time long enough to react to and avoid any chance of him hitting you. Play the zoning game, because its one of the few games that metaknight can lose at. Learn his exact ranges on attacks, his movement speed, and then stay outside his reach.

You have 3 ways to properly mount an offensive on meta knight in a neutral situation in the air.

Number One- you can utilize any disjointed hitboxes larger then his to poke at him, and due to proper spacing and his transcendent priority you will win any aerial battle, maintaining your place outside his reach while poking at him through his attacks.

Number Two- you can use exceptional aerial mobility to bait attacks, move back to the safe zone outside his reach, and then use your mobility to move in and punish. Remember to keep in mind his range, maintain proper spacing, and juke at the proper time, to control zoning.

Number Three- you can use projectiles to pester him, and due to his lack of mobility, he can't punish as effectively, and when you maintain zoning and spacing, even if he dodges he lacks the ability to punish.

- - - - - - - - - - - -​

This post is unfinished, I will finish it at a later point- for now feel free to dissect it as you wish.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
You have a good theory going on, but there still are a bunch of errors lying in this 'aerial mobility' flaw.

To start with, MK has no trouble just landing on the ground and confronting you there; he has an Ftilt with the range of Marth tipped Fsmash, a Dsmash that kills at the edge at 90, a Dtilt that has even more range than the Ftilt, and a ridiculous grab game to boot.

And even if MK doesn't want to land on the ground, he can go into Nado and increase his aerial mobility to speeds above normal dash levels.

Number One- you can utilize any disjointed hitboxes larger then his to poke at him, and due to proper spacing and his transcendent priority you will win any aerial battle, maintaining your place outside his reach while poking at him through his attacks.
The privilege of having disjointed hitboxes larger than MK in the air belongs to Ivysaur and Ike, and that's it. I think Marth equals MK in range in the air, but that's about it. Not a lot of characters to go on there, imo.

Number Two- you can use exceptional aerial mobility to bait attacks, move back to the safe zone outside his reach, and then use your mobility to move in and punish. Remember to keep in mind his range, maintain proper spacing, and juke at the proper time, to control zoning.
This is what most people have been doing in tourney play at this point. It's a smart idea, but in the end, it's Meta, and stopping him from throwing out a Nado/SL/Uair/Dair/Nair to avoid punishment from even his slowest aerial(Bair). It's an extremely taxing procedure to punish MK in the air and is likely more rewarding to the MK in the long run.

Number Three- you can use projectiles to pester him, and due to his lack of mobility, he can't punish as effectively, and when you maintain zoning and spacing, even if he dodges he lacks the ability to punish.
Er, this is all wrong. I've seen MK violate so many people trying to camp him. I've never really seen any match where MK had trouble getting inside of any camping game, followed by PUNISHMENT his opponent for the actual use of the projectile(Think endlag). I do admit, however, camping MK is probably the best option in the MU because he DOES lack a projectile, but it's still not a safe option due to his extremely skilled zoning skills.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
80% Fallacy
Um, what? Please play a VIABLE CHARACTER before deciding to complain about MK.

MK being above most characters is nearly always bad for MK if you're on the ground. MK being on the edge is typically bad too. MOST characters have decent options up-close. Projectiles are also good against MK, especially the higher tiered character projectiles (Lasers, Grenades, Pikman, Tires, Bananas, Blizzard, Aura Sphere, and Thunder Jolt are all good examples of effective projectiles amongst the higher tiered characters)

Not to suggest MK isn't ridiculous, but low aerial mobility means MK is indeed suspectible to juggles. Be cautious of Mach Tornado, but you can bait and punish Tornado because it DOES have ending lag.

napZzz

Smash Hero

MK being above most characters is nearly always bad for MK if you're on the ground. MK being on the edge is typically bad too. MOST characters have decent options up-close. Projectiles are also good against MK, especially the higher tiered character projectiles (Lasers, Grenades, Pikman, Tires, Bananas, Blizzard, Aura Sphere, and Thunder Jolt are all good examples of effective projectiles amongst the higher tiered characters)

Not to suggest MK isn't ridiculous, but low aerial mobility means MK is indeed suspectible to juggles. Be cautious of Mach Tornado, but you can bait and punish Tornado because it DOES have ending lag.
are you being serious?

like......seriously

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
@ Nappy, I really hope he was being serious, cuz if it was just sarcasm, then my big long rant was kinda made for nothing...

>______>;

REGARDLESS! Let's begin!

MK being above most characters is nearly always bad for MK if you're on the ground. MK being on the edge is typically bad too. MOST characters have decent options up-close. Projectiles are also good against MK, especially the higher tiered character projectiles (Lasers, Grenades, Pikman, Tires, Bananas, Blizzard, Aura Sphere, and Thunder Jolt are all good examples of effective projectiles amongst the higher tiered characters).
But there are a buncha things wrong with that!

The first thing you're saying is that MK is no good on the ground. But what about his Dtilt which is safe on shield, causes trips, and leads to grabs, and Ftilt with range only beaten by Ike and Ivysaur? What about his notoriously dangerous Dsmash? And even if the opponent takes the offensive, we're dealing with MK's options to Shuttle Loop, Nair, or Dair OOS in that situation! And MK still has his ridiculous grab game that tacks on 11 damage(dthrow) AND puts the opponent in an extremely bad position(namely, above him)!

Available grounded options: Dtilt, Ftilt, Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, Grab(all variations), OOS Nair, OOS Dair
Count: 7

The next issue is the claim that MK has a problem above the opponent. True, in Brawl, it's almost never a good idea to be above the opponent, but this doesn't hold true in Meta's case. The way most characters get juggled by opponents is when the opponent has a large disjoint above them to catch a character who can't move out of the way quickly enough. But in Meta's case, this doesn't apply! If Meta's in the air, you've given him essentially a free ticket to Dair shenanigans! In addition to that, he has SIX(Five? Can't remember) jumps in his arsenal! If he feels threatened at all, "aerial is down, press it while I'm jumpin' up," whenever an opponent tries to aerial chase, and bam! MK has fended off the opponent.

And don't forget to take into account MK's relatively fast falling speed, coupled with the BEST airdodge in the game! If an opponent tries to chase MK into the air, MK can just get back to the ground with an airdodge, then use Nado to catch the opponent's landing, who had apparently put MK into a 'bad' position!

And MK can attempt to land with a Nado, and yes, the opponent might see it coming and shield, but MK can flee, after hitting the opponent's shield, to the other side of the stage at the proper height to lag cancel before any character(except maybe fast movers, like Snake, Marth, Sonic, and Falcon) has a chance to dish out any punishment!

Most characters can't even get to the ground except through an airdodge, but MK over here has offensive ways to hold his own above the opponent!

Available options while above opponent: Airdodge into ground, Tornado, Dair camp, Dimensional Cape?
Count: 3(4?)

The next point you've got is that MK doesn't do well on the ledge, and I personally think this point is really messed up. MK does not have issues on the ledge, EVER. He has a million different ledgehop options, and I have yet to see MK's ledgehopped shenanigans get punished to the point of death.

MK also gains the ability to pseudo-plank on the ledge here. True, ledge grab limits have been put into place in tournaments, but nothing's stopping MK from just... hanging on the ledge for the maximum amount of ledgegrab time(when you automatically fall off) and regrabbing the ledge. True, MK doesn't get the invincibility while hanging on the ledge for that long, but for nearly the entire cast, going after MK hanging on a ledge is practically a suicide bombing mission where you miss completely. Going off the stage to combat MK gives him free reign to gimp or stagespike you(or just get back on the stage), and approaching him near the ledge is just asking for a drop down Uair or some ledgehopped move.

Now, onto those ledgehopped moves. Ledgehopped Tornado is MK's quickest way to get back on stage, and it's **** powerful. He can also mix it up with Shuttle Loop or Fair, so the opponent can't possibly know what to expect every time.

READ THIS! - Not only that, MK has a currently unpunishable way to get back on stage. The "under the stage Reverse Shuttle Loop." I'm sure you've all seen it at least once, but just in case, I'll explain it. It's where MK goes under the stage a little, then does a Shuttle Loop in the direction of the ledge he just dropped off. He jumps AROUND the ledge during the loop, and lands on stage with NO lag. There are NO lag frames on this technique, so MK can follow up with pretty much anything, most notably Nair or Dtilt. The hitbox for the Shuttle Loop during this technique is ALWAYS out, so it hits the opponent if they're too close, and that serves for some very handy shieldpush and shieldstun, or just a flat out attack if the opponent wasn't shielding. In either of the two cases, MK is back on the stage, and there's nothing you could've done about it.

Available options while on the ledge: Ledgehopped airdodge, ledgehopped Tornado, ledgehopped Fair, ledgehopped Shuttle Loop, under the stage lagless Shuttle Loop(the most dangerous), drop down Uair, glide under stage?
Count: 6(7?)

The last point in fact is MK's inability to get around projectiles. It's true projectile spam is the best possible option in the MU against Meta-Knight, but even that's not a surefire way to get the job done. I've seen plenty of matches of MK vs. some projectile user, and I've observed plenty of instances where MK had no issues getting around the projectiles and to the opponent. I've seen matches of MK vs characters such as Diddy and Falco lost to MK simply because MK got inside, and prevented the opponent from escaping.

You cannot forget MK has some of the best defensive options in Brawl(the best forward roll, one of the best back rolls, one of the best sidesteps, the best airdodge), along with a beast dash speed and a walking speed that's not too shabby, either. And even if MK does have an issue with projectiles, MK can just aircamp the opponent with Dairs. It beats projectiles big time, AFAIK. I don't really have too many specifics on MK beating projectiles, but there should be plenty, and I mean PLENTY of videos on Youtube supporting what I just said. (See: ADHD vs. Anti Grand Finals at Prototype)

This is a bit matchup specific, but you also can't forget Meta's amazing glide toss that drags him almost the entire length of FD. That means if his opponent's Peach, ROB, or Diddy, BAM!

In all of the situations Pierce described MK to be in a bad position, MK has tons of offensive and defensive options at his disposal to get around it and shift things back to his favor. He has a multitude of mixups that could potentially put the opponent in an even worse spot than MK was allegedly in. Meta may have some weaknesses, but he has MORE than enough tools at his disposal to make them nonexistant.

...whew, that took me longer than I expected. I'm gonna proofread this quick, but all my ideas are down there.

napZzz

Smash Hero
MK being on the edge is typically bad too.

but low aerial mobility means MK is indeed suspectible to juggles. Be cautious of Mach Tornado, but you can bait and punish Tornado because it DOES have ending lag.
I dont think you realized what you typed

NearZzz

Smash Lord
MK being above most characters is nearly always bad for MK if you're on the ground. MK being on the edge is typically bad too.

Not to suggest MK isn't ridiculous, but low aerial mobility means MK is indeed suspectible to juggles.

-Ran

Smash Master
Lucario Roll:
Invulnerable on Frame: 4
Vulnerable on Frame: 19
Complete on Frame: 27

Meta Knight Roll:
Roll Forward Lasts 23 Frames
Invincible Frames 5 – 12

Though Lucario has more invincibility, Mk is able to act out of his quicker. More so, Lucario's Forward roll tends to put him a bit out of range to counter-attack, while MK's is pretty much perfect for a tilt or grab.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
This post isn't going to be organized, but I guess the overall message of this post is that a lot of what you said is over-exaggerated or theorycrafted wrong.

MK having the best airdodge doesn't make his airdodge really good. His airdodge has invincibility from (frames) 3-29 and ends on 39, the next best 13 characters have theirs on 4-29 ending on 39. His airdodge to ground is only slightly better than most character's airdodges to ground to avoid juggling.

About MK being above you, for quite a lot of characters or most of the ones in A-B tier (as Pierce put it, viable characters) they have a good amount of options to stop D-air camping. It's actually pretty punishable. Most characters can walk around his D-air (because of his slow horizontal and vertical air movement), jump, and do an aerial to punish. A lot of characters can just shield a D-air and punish.

Dimensional cape is pretty bad for landing. Random tip for beating Tornado; spotdodging or rolling (if your character has a good forward roll) at the end of it makes it easier to punish.

MK can land fine just like most characters in A-B tier can land fine. He has good options due to his 5 mid-air jumps, but he doesn't have the luxury of having the good aerial DI like Marth or Wario, who are able land by DIing away from being directly over the opponent and spacing an attack.

No one said MK was no good on the ground. Ever. And all of his ground attacks are punishable on shield for Diddy with a banana (i dunno about other characters). IIRC the only unpunishable things are a perfectly spaced F-air and B-air.

That "unpunishable method to get back on stage" you described is noooooooot unpunishable. Yes the tip of shuttle loop has a hitbox and yes it autocancels but the hitbox is so small that pretty much everything beats it out. It's a good option if the opponent is shielding, but the opponent shouldn't be shielding if the MK's at the height below the stage to do that. It's kinda telegraphable too. "Under the stage lagless shuttle loop" is NOT the most dangerous and it's really obvious it isn't when you actually play an MK who does this.

stuff about projectiles, uhh yes MK can get in projectiles and like every character can get in projectiles, that's a pretty obvious general statement that didn't prove much lol. Characters that can camp back have a better time dealing with the opponent's projectiles that characters that can't. D-air camping isn't good against Diddy and I'd imagine Falco (but i dunno I don't play him I just know it's not good against Diddy). but I don't understand what you were trying to prove by saying that, "MK can get in projectiles"

I want to know where you're getting your information if you think 4-12 invincibility ending on frame 33 is one of the best back rolls. His spotdodge is average, he shares the same frame data on it with 27 other characters.

tl;dr MK has less weaknesses than other characters (obvious) but still has weaknesses (obvious), and even though he has the tools to get around them (much like a lot of characters do), they're still exploitable.

iRJi

Smash Champion

Some of what Pierce said is true. MK for one can be juggled. However, MK being on the ledge is a different matter. It honestly depends on the rules, and the time. If we are considering LGL, MK does have a fair amount of weaknesses on the edge. However, if any form of planking is going on, MK is 100% not punishable by it. Also punishing nado is also situational. MKs mobility while in nado is very high compared to character speeds that can catch up to him in order to punish, and take into the calculation that Nado has decent shield hitstun, and character aerials for the most part normally don't beat it out until you are coming for the top. Because of this, you have to drop shield which takes an additional 7 frames, then the time it travels to catch-up to the nado. In most situations, when a MK nados and tries to retreat, they normally either wait to long to pull off, or the pull off to early. If you do nado right, while it is still punishable, only a child-sized handful of characters can punish it to a point where it is profitable.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
This color = I agree with the above point

MK having the best airdodge doesn't make his airdodge really good. His airdodge has invincibility from (frames) 3-29 and ends on 39, the next best 13 characters have theirs on 4-29 ending on 39. His airdodge to ground is only slightly better than most character's airdodges to ground to avoid juggling.
Okay, maybe I exaggerated on that point a little bit. ^^;

But it still is a really good airdodge.

About MK being above you, for quite a lot of characters or most of the ones in A-B tier (as Pierce put it, viable characters) they have a good amount of options to stop D-air camping. It's actually pretty punishable. Most characters can walk around his D-air (because of his slow horizontal and vertical air movement), jump, and do an aerial to punish. A lot of characters can just shield a D-air and punish.
If MK's reaction time is good enough, though, he can perform midair jump + Dair as the opponent chases him into the air. A retreating Dair has pretty good coverage, and it causes the opponent to either miss his attack completely, get hit by Dair, or airdodge, and all of those give MK an opportunity to make a move and land.

Maybe no character is in a good position when they're above the opponent but I do think imo that MK has the least hardest time getting around the opponent. Worst comes to worst, he could always just go offstage and head for the ledge.

Dimensional cape is pretty bad for landing.
Well, if could use it as a mixup, y'know? He could use it if he predicts when the opponent will begin chasing him into the air, and he gets 2 directional choices of landing, so prediction is a bit tough.

Random tip for beating Tornado; spotdodging or rolling (if your character has a good forward roll) at the end of it makes it easier to punish.
True, if MK just throws out Tornado outside the frame of human reaction, it's not too hard to avoid it completely. I liberally abuse roll dodges against MK's Tornado myself.

MK can land fine just like most characters in A-B tier can land fine. He has good options due to his 5 mid-air jumps, but he doesn't have the luxury of having the good aerial DI like Marth or Wario, who are able land by DIing away from being directly over the opponent and spacing an attack.
I think what the problem here is that too many characters are afraid of getting hit by Dair, so they mess up the spacing of their aerial move completely, which is followed by MK getting time to do something. And besides, even if the opponent decides they're not afraid of Dair, you gotta remember MK's Dair is really fast, so he just has to wait until the opponent gets close enough before doing anything with it.

No one said MK was no good on the ground. Ever. And all of his ground attacks are punishable on shield for Diddy with a banana (i dunno about other characters). IIRC the only unpunishable things are a perfectly spaced F-air and B-air.
Uh... I think you agreed MK was good on the ground? If so, I guess I'll leave that at that. Don't forget MK can choose not to finish his Ftilt string on shield and dash in for a grab, though, as another mixup. Dtilt is also safe on shield; it's got good shieldstun and low endlag.

That "unpunishable method to get back on stage" you described is noooooooot unpunishable. Yes the tip of shuttle loop has a hitbox and yes it autocancels but the hitbox is so small that pretty much everything beats it out. It's a good option if the opponent is shielding, but the opponent shouldn't be shielding if the MK's at the height below the stage to do that. It's kinda telegraphable too. "Under the stage lagless shuttle loop" is NOT the most dangerous and it's really obvious it isn't when you actually play an MK who does this.
Hold up, you're confusing me now. MK's Shuttle Loop hitbox is NOT tiny, and when he does a reverse Shuttle Loop back onto the stage, he's upside down by the time he reaches the stage, so the hitbox is facing the opponent. MK's fastest move comes out in 3 frames, so if the Shuttle Loop is shielded, there'll be shieldstun enough to prevent punishment.

My point is is that I have yet to see this move get punished. That's why I believe it's MK's best option to get back on stage.

stuff about projectiles, uhh yes MK can get in projectiles and like every character can get in projectiles, that's a pretty obvious general statement that didn't prove much lol. Characters that can camp back have a better time dealing with the opponent's projectiles that characters that can't. D-air camping isn't good against Diddy and I'd imagine Falco (but i dunno I don't play him I just know it's not good against Diddy). but I don't understand what you were trying to prove by saying that, "MK can get in projectiles"
What I meant is that MK can very easily get inside projectile users whose projectiles go exclusively horizontally by floating in the air. If the opponent has an item projectile, then of course they can just go ahead and throw it up at MK. The vast majority of characters don't have such a projectile, though, so yeah.

I want to know where you're getting your information if you think 4-12 invincibility ending on frame 33 is one of the best back rolls. His spotdodge is average, he shares the same frame data on it with 27 other characters.
This one was my bad. I mis-remembered the frame info on MK's dodge options. >___>;

Crackerjack

Smash Rookie
Well he IS the top tier of SSBB, that's seriously all it is, only Meta Knight... Well I have had Marth for my main ever since Melee and I found Counter quite effective against MK, except he launches his attacks (like his standard A attack/combo) so you don't have much warning to pick up on. All three of his B-control stick options are pretty easy to counter because you are given a bit of time to hit the buttons. So that's how I would combat him, with Marth or Ike. They also both have pretty great mid-air offense to combat him in flight. Marth's a mid-air pro, like with his meteor smash. His weight makes him stay airborne longer, but that also has some negative affects so be careful where you use Dolphin Slash. With Ike I just say use Aether. And I say, shield, shield, shield! Maybe Pikachu's Thunder would be good on him but honestly (even though Pikachu was my main for a very short time) Pikachu has somewhat poor moves, while they can hit from just about any angle, they are kind of easy to dodge not to mention Pikachu's sucky final smash... Ugh. If that multi-angle diversity is what you want, I say use Link. He has much stronger attacks that would also mean a match for Meta Knight.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I now understand why pro-ban is so enthusiastic. They don't understand HOW to fight MK. Is he broken? Yes. Is he perfect? No.

@ Nappy, I really hope he was being serious, cuz if it was just sarcasm, then my big long rant was kinda made for nothing...

>______>;

REGARDLESS! Let's begin!

But there are a buncha things wrong with that!

The first thing you're saying is that MK is no good on the ground.
Before I try to teach you how to defeat MK, I suggest you first learn how to read. It's considerably easier. I don't even comprehend how it's possible for you to be able to put words directly into my mouth, and bold them, when you have MY QUOTED POST right above you as you're typing. It makes no sense.

Metaknight is AMAZING on the ground. However, at close range, he is very susceptible to other characters, who have frame 2 or three jabs, with actions that are actually safer on shield, and harder to shield grab. Let's take a look at the actions you used as an example.

But what about his Dtilt which is safe on shield, causes trips, and leads to grabs, and Ftilt with range only beaten by Ike and Ivysaur? What about his notoriously dangerous Dsmash? And even if the opponent takes the offensive, we're dealing with MK's options to Shuttle Loop, Nair, or Dair OOS in that situation! And MK still has his ridiculous grab game that tacks on 11 damage(dthrow) AND puts the opponent in an extremely bad position(namely, above him)!

Available grounded options: Dtilt, Ftilt, Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, Grab(all variations), OOS Nair, OOS Dair
Count: 7
Dtilt is safe on shield WHEN SPACED, NOT AT CLOSE RANGE. Ftilt is NOT safe on shield. Ftilt is only good because of it's implied safety. Ftilt hit 1 has 13 frames of cooldown (might be 14, I'm going off memory) but can be canceled with hit two right away. Both hits 2 and 3 have THIRTY FRAMES of cooldown. 2 shares a similar implied safety as 1, because it can be cancelled into frame three, and all hits take 3 frames to come out. However, any MK worth anything will tell you that Ftilt is a HORRIBLE gambit at close range on a shield, VASTLY in favor of the opponent you are psuedo pressuring. Once hit one connects on a shield while you are in grab range, you are basically praying that you hit the opponent with hit two before they grab. However, this means delaying hit one significantly (otherwise they'll just block through to hit two, and things get worse, because now you're eating up to thirty frames of lag). Being forced to delay your attack means GUESSING when to throw hit two to hit a 6 frame window with a 3 frame move in a VERY, VERY small 13 frame window with your OPPONENT having the luxury of confirmation. YEAH OKAY!

Dsmash on block cannot be shield grabbed, unless you utilized a sliding shield. However, it has 25 frames of lag (when I say lag, I'm referring to cool down after the initial hit, usually accounting for shield hitlag to hitlag differential.) when he connects the front part. Just because everyone and their mom decides to try and shield grab it like it's '08, doesn't make it safe on block. If you don't freeze up under pressure, and build up good reaction, you can punish this move on block everytime with nearly every character. With good reaction even Ganon can punish this crap.

The OOS options are good indeed, in particular Shuttle Loop. As far as Dragon Punches go, that's an amazing one. However, they are not the end of the world, and SL is definitely the LEAST safe on block out of all moves listed.

At close range (which is what I said, not "on the ground" LOL), MK lacks a standard boxing game which includes a usable jab. Jabs typically have low lag, so you can choose whether to mix up into more of the jab, defense, or grab. Ftilt does not qualify as a jab, because it has hefty ending lag, removing a LOT of mix-up potential when at the threat of being grabbed by the opponent.

The next issue is the claim that MK has a problem above the opponent. True, in Brawl, it's almost never a good idea to be above the opponent, but this doesn't hold true in Meta's case. The way most characters get juggled by opponents is when the opponent has a large disjoint above them to catch a character who can't move out of the way quickly enough. But in Meta's case, this doesn't apply! If Meta's in the air, you've given him essentially a free ticket to Dair shenanigans! In addition to that, he has SIX(Five? Can't remember) jumps in his arsenal! If he feels threatened at all, "aerial is down, press it while I'm jumpin' up," whenever an opponent tries to aerial chase, and bam! MK has fended off the opponent.
After you learn to read, you should learn some patience. There are few characters actually vulnerable to Dair camping, but no one knows how to combat it. First off, MK has one grounded (or ledge) jump, coupled with 5 midair jumps, any of which may be led into a glide.

Successfully juggling or punishing MKs landing doesn't always include (as iconic Isai would put it) jumping into the ****.

First off all, if MK is in the air, and using techniques to suspend himself there, then you should anticipate his landing. 5 jumps is quite a ridiculous amount, I agree (I've always argued that in a game where you are fighting and attempting to knock each other off of a platform, flying is obviously broken). However, try the following:

CROUCH! If MK is using Dair or Mach Tornado above you, he'll have to dip ESPECIALLY low to hit you while crouching (this is especially important for all you SNAKE players out there.) Crawling is extremely anti air, because it allows you to intimately control your spacing both forwards and backwards, just like your airborne opponent (that's why being airborne is good in Brawl, btw) while remaining further out of reach to your opponent. Even if you can not crawl, causing MK to since low on his Dair and not having to shield (and vastly increasing your chances to Power Shield) makes punishing this tactic FAR more effective. Using an attack with boosted mobility to punish landing is very effective, although patience is also good in case of Mach Tornado, in which case a fast attack can punish the ending. At WORSE, you should consider yourself at neutral when MK starts to Dair camp, EVEN FALCO.

And don't forget to take into account MK's relatively fast falling speed, coupled with the BEST airdodge in the game! If an opponent tries to chase MK into the air, MK can just get back to the ground with an airdodge, then use Nado to catch the opponent's landing, who had apparently put MK into a 'bad' position!
As already pointed out to you, MK's airdodge is only the best because it has one extra frame of invincibility at the beginning. Hardly relevant to any situation. Falling speed is far more relevant, and I applaud the solid point. However, you are a bad player if you let MK catch you with airdodge into Frame 12 Mach Tornado consistently, and I have no problems telling you. He's far better off using a faster anti-air.

And MK can attempt to land with a Nado, and yes, the opponent might see it coming and shield, but MK can flee, after hitting the opponent's shield, to the other side of the stage at the proper height to lag cancel before any character(except maybe fast movers, like Snake, Marth, Sonic, and Falcon) has a chance to dish out any punishment!
GOOD (and I emphasis, GOOD) Characters with projectiles or lots of range are benefitted from this situation, and almost every character that's good can punish this. Snake can Dacus, Dash Attack, ftilt, or possibly grenade. Diddy can banana, Dash Attack, Dash Grab. Marth can Dancing Blade. Falco can Dash Attack or Phantasm, the list goes on. Tornado is a great mix-up tool, but it is by no means unpunishable.

Most characters can't even get to the ground except through an airdodge, but MK over here has offensive ways to hold his own above the opponent!
This is true. I accuse you of being silly if you though I meant to imply that MK should never hit the ground once you knock him into the air. However, I would hope you have enough sense to come to the consensus that this is a far more favorable position than him being well spaced and on the ground.

Available options while above opponent: Airdodge into ground, Tornado, Dair camp, Dimensional Cape?
Count: 3(4?)
I already addressed most of this, but someone actually contradicted you and said Dimension Cape is not good for landing. This is false. It's a long range escape tool, that is VERY hard to chase. I use it frequently, but it's harder to use, and I can understand why you would at first assume it's bad. It's also susceptible to getting UpBed out of the start up in the ditto.

The next point you've got is that MK doesn't do well on the ledge, and I personally think this point is really messed up. MK does not have issues on the ledge, EVER. He has a million different ledgehop options, and I have yet to see MK's ledgehopped shenanigans get punished to the point of death.
Um, this is one of the BEST times to kill MK. Additionally, you seem to be under some bogus assumption that I meant you should hit MK every time he's on the ledge, until he dies. No, but the chances of you landing a hit are MUCH greater than him landing a hit IF you're playing a good character, and playing properly. I'm not going to go in depth here on ledge spacing and traps, but I'll be sure to include an article about senerio spacing and trapping later (and I've probably written one in the past, though it might be Marth specific.) You can check my thread for that in the future.

MK also gains the ability to pseudo-plank on the ledge here. True, ledge grab limits have been put into place in tournaments, but nothing's stopping MK from just... hanging on the ledge for the maximum amount of ledgegrab time(when you automatically fall off) and regrabbing the ledge. True, MK doesn't get the invincibility while hanging on the ledge for that long, but for nearly the entire cast, going after MK hanging on a ledge is practically a suicide bombing mission where you miss completely. Going off the stage to combat MK gives him free reign to gimp or stagespike you(or just get back on the stage), and approaching him near the ledge is just asking for a drop down Uair or some ledgehopped move.
I agree that MK is undefeatable on the ledge if he's allowed to stay there. Almost every character has a projectile or attack that will punish an MK dumb enough to stay on the edge till his invincibility runs out over and over. I'm honestly shaking my head at this one. Provided that there is some mechanic that forces MK to give him his dominant position, then you can anticipate that eventually there will be a moment to strike. Become fast enough to capitalize.

Now, onto those ledgehopped moves. Ledgehopped Tornado is MK's quickest way to get back on stage, and it's **** powerful. He can also mix it up with Shuttle Loop or Fair, so the opponent can't possibly know what to expect every time.
Hmm, relatively good options. Try spacing so that these options cannot hit you (if you space for Fair and SL, then you will be able to block Nado on reaction.) Then set up proper edge pressure. That varies on your character, but for example, that could be Nade traps, Banana set-ups, Sword Coverage, laser lockdowns, or any manner of walls and mix-ups that are especially difficult to break without the use of a shield. Considering MK cannot shield from the ledge (or even use his broken tilts), you have a very good advantage here. I would cry if I always got hit by MK while HE was the one recovering.

READ THIS! - Not only that, MK has a currently unpunishable way to get back on stage. The "under the stage Reverse Shuttle Loop." I'm sure you've all seen it at least once, but just in case, I'll explain it. It's where MK goes under the stage a little, then does a Shuttle Loop in the direction of the ledge he just dropped off. He jumps AROUND the ledge during the loop, and lands on stage with NO lag. There are NO lag frames on this technique, so MK can follow up with pretty much anything, most notably Nair or Dtilt. The hitbox for the Shuttle Loop during this technique is ALWAYS out, so it hits the opponent if they're too close, and that serves for some very handy shieldpush and shieldstun, or just a flat out attack if the opponent wasn't shielding. In either of the two cases, MK is back on the stage, and there's nothing you could've done about it.
I actually laughed out loud at this one, because I taught my friend who is improving rapidly, but still not yet amazing and uses MARIO how to deal with this yesterday. First off, this is very telegraphed, because to optimize on the technique, you must space correctly. It is VERY shield-grab-able, but you SHOULD just HIT MK out of this blasphemous move, because the back side of shuttle loop has just a little more priority than Diddy's Peanut! Thank you, free kill moves!

Available options while on the ledge: Ledgehopped airdodge, ledgehopped Tornado, ledgehopped Fair, ledgehopped Shuttle Loop, under the stage lagless Shuttle Loop(the most dangerous), drop down Uair, glide under stage?
Count: 6(7?)
LOL, I regard your most dangerous option as the least dangerous. Also, against most viable characters, gliding under the stage only serves to reset the situation if you properly ledge trap. It is good to go past characters trying to edgeguard you though. Learn to space and punishing without jumping into the ****.
The last point in fact is MK's inability to get around projectiles. It's true projectile spam is the best possible option in the MU against Meta-Knight, but even that's not a surefire way to get the job done. I've seen plenty of matches of MK vs. some projectile user, and I've observed plenty of instances where MK had no issues getting around the projectiles and to the opponent. I've seen matches of MK vs characters such as Diddy and Falco lost to MK simply because MK got inside, and prevented the opponent from escaping.
Projectile spam is not always the best possible option vs MK. However, projectiles are extremely helpful against MK. I don't recall ever saying anything so blasphemous such as, "MK is unable to get around projectiles." However, if you have good projectile, and MK is far from you, then you have an advantage.

You cannot forget MK has some of the best defensive options in Brawl(the best forward roll, one of the best back rolls, one of the best sidesteps, the best airdodge), along with a beast dash speed and a walking speed that's not too shabby, either. And even if MK does have an issue with projectiles, MK can just aircamp the opponent with Dairs. It beats projectiles big time, AFAIK. I don't really have too many specifics on MK beating projectiles, but there should be plenty, and I mean PLENTY of videos on Youtube supporting what I just said. (See: ADHD vs. Anti Grand Finals at Prototype)
MK does have the best forward roll and best airdodge. Many people would argue that forward roll is an offensive ability, but that's neither here or there. MK's back roll and sidestep are average.

I didn't watch the link, but I can tell you right now that ADHD does NOT have a problem with Dair camping. I watch a large amount of their sets in person, as both of them are personal friends of mine, and I'm sure I could gladly pull either of them into the thread to cosign with me that ADHD doesn't suffer from Dair camping. I could probably pull up 50 examples of ADHD punish Dair camp (usually with banana throw up to Fair) but I'm not going to now. Dair camping often navigates around the core threat of a projectile, but leads into another problem: being airborne.

Dair camping IS an effective strategy, because just like everything else, people do not understand how to properly combat it. When people learn what to do, it will still be good, but not nearly as good.

This is a bit matchup specific, but you also can't forget Meta's amazing glide toss that drags him almost the entire length of FD. That means if his opponent's Peach, ROB, or Diddy, BAM!
Okay, sweet. This doesn't really go against anything I said, but okay.

In all of the situations Pierce described MK to be in a bad position, MK has tons of offensive and defensive options at his disposal to get around it and shift things back to his favor. He has a multitude of mixups that could potentially put the opponent in an even worse spot than MK was allegedly in. Meta may have some weaknesses, but he has MORE than enough tools at his disposal to make them nonexistant.
Not at all. Most of the good and viable characters can limit his options tremendously in these situations if you know how. He does have a lot of mix-ups and escapes, but rarely does he have solid offensive base from these positions.

...whew, that took me longer than I expected. I'm gonna proofread this quick, but all my ideas are down there.
I realize exactly what I typed, and I know what I'm talking about. I main MK after all. I live in New Jersey, and have played extensively with M2k, Atomsk, Orion, Nairo, Ksizzle, etc. I have also played pretty much every top MK in the country.

I don't just say stuff without knowing what I'm talking about.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Okay, I think I'm gonna have a meltdown if I have to process something that long(reading or writing) again. @__@;

Anyway, those are some really good points, but I still got a few responses to them, so here goes.

Before I try to teach you how to defeat MK, I suggest you first learn how to read. It's considerably easier. I don't even comprehend how it's possible for you to be able to put words directly into my mouth, and bold them, when you have MY QUOTED POST right above you as you're typing. It makes no sense.
Oh, and uh, sorry about that. I messed up big there. -___-;

Synopsis of MK's grounded game
What you said is entirely true. All of MK's attacks are susceptible to punishment if they're used improperly on shield. But the main cause of the issue is MK's above-par grab game. His grabs are high in reach and low on lag. If an MK chooses to abuse his grab game in the middle of all of his crazy attacks, he's going to get the opponent a bunch of times, if all they do is shield.

And as far as Ftilt, MK can do first hit, then dash grab if he sees the opponent shielding. Kinda like Marth's Dancing Blade first hit on shield to grab.

MK's throws are a guaranteed 9-12% damage plus the advantage of putting the opponent in a really bad position, namely the one that let's MK engage his aerial game.

CROUCH! If MK is using Dair or Mach Tornado above you, he'll have to dip ESPECIALLY low to hit you while crouching
Crouching isn't always the best idea because it'll cause you to DI really badly IF he does manage to hit you, and it could spell a really early gimp if you're not careful.

More importantly, thought, it seems like crouching is giving MK a free pass to land so he should choose, because you can't move while crouching, and all of the crawls can't outrun MK in the air. Anyway, I don't think you'd want MK to re-engage his ground game, so yeah.

GOOD (and I emphasis, GOOD) Characters with projectiles or lots of range are benefitted from this situation, and almost every character that's good can punish this. Snake can Dacus, Dash Attack, ftilt, or possibly grenade. Diddy can banana, Dash Attack, Dash Grab. Marth can Dancing Blade. Falco can Dash Attack or Phantasm, the list goes on. Tornado is a great mix-up tool, but it is by no means unpunishable.
I mostly derived this point from watching tournament matches. I usually see Metaknights start up the tornado when the opponent is about 1/5 of the stage away from the ledge. And when I see it get shielded, MK goes to the other side of the stage and ends the nado(lag cancel included), and I never see any punishment.

I've seen A LOT of battles vs. MK, so why haven't I seen this technique put into practice?

This is true. I accuse you of being silly if you though I meant to imply that MK should never hit the ground once you knock him into the air. However, I would hope you have enough sense to come to the consensus that this is a far more favorable position than him being well spaced and on the ground.
Yes, obviously. No one(except maybe GaW) likes being above the opponent; I just wanted to get it across that, out of all the characters in Brawl, MK is the least(or one of the least) disadvantaged characters when above the opponent.

Um, this is one of the BEST times to kill MK. Additionally, you seem to be under some bogus assumption that I meant you should hit MK every time he's on the ledge, until he dies. No, but the chances of you landing a hit are MUCH greater than him landing a hit IF you're playing a good character, and playing properly. I'm not going to go in depth here on ledge spacing and traps, but I'll be sure to include an article about senerio spacing and trapping later (and I've probably written one in the past, though it might be Marth specific.) You can check my thread for that in the future.
Like the Tornado issue stated above, about 95% of the matches I've seen vs. MK while MK was on the ledge never resulted in punishment. It ended in either the opponent getting hit/killed, or the MK jumping away from the stage, followed by recovering high.

In either case, I've yet to see any player to consistently keep MK pinned while he was on the ledge.

I agree that MK is undefeatable on the ledge if he's allowed to stay there. Almost every character has a projectile or attack that will punish an MK dumb enough to stay on the edge till his invincibility runs out over and over. I'm honestly shaking my head at this one. Provided that there is some mechanic that forces MK to give him his dominant position, then you can anticipate that eventually there will be a moment to strike. Become fast enough to capitalize.
Going after MK after his invincibility's worn off imo is not a good idea. MK can drop down off the ledge on reaction to all of the projectiles in Brawl, and if you try to get in there to personally lay down a beatdown, won't you just eat a Uair?

Hmm, relatively good options. Try spacing so that these options cannot hit you (if you space for Fair and SL, then you will be able to block Nado on reaction.) Then set up proper edge pressure. That varies on your character, but for example, that could be Nade traps, Banana set-ups, Sword Coverage, laser lockdowns, or any manner of walls and mix-ups that are especially difficult to break without the use of a shield. Considering MK cannot shield from the ledge (or even use his broken tilts), you have a very good advantage here. I would cry if I always got hit by MK while HE was the one recovering.
This is an obscenely good point, and I don't see any flaws with it. This is, imo, the best way, nay, the ONLY way to handle Meta on the ledge. The issue is, though, projectiles leave the user with some form of endlag(Falco excluded), so MK can still go ahead and time a getup to get off that ledge.

In Falco's case, he can just recover high, beginning with moving away from the stage, like I said on a different point. Worst case scenario, MK eats one or two lasers.

I actually laughed out loud at this one, because I taught my friend who is improving rapidly, but still not yet amazing and uses MARIO how to deal with this yesterday. First off, this is very telegraphed, because to optimize on the technique, you must space correctly. It is VERY shield-grab-able, but you SHOULD just HIT MK out of this blasphemous move, because the back side of shuttle loop has just a little more priority than Diddy's Peanut! Thank you, free kill moves!
Could you tell me what your Mario friend did exactly to stop this?

Dair camping often navigates around the core threat of a projectile, but leads into another problem: being airborne.
The only real threats to MK's Dair camping are Diddy and Snake, because they can throw their bananas/nades straight up to dish out some damage. But iirc, Diddy or Snake do not want to confront MK in the air while he's daring to Dair.
Also, watch the link, plz. But for a different point now. Look at 1:10, and notice how Anti clinks his Tornado on shield, flees an adequate distance, and blocks ADHD's intended punishment. I still hold that using Nado CAN be used in ways to avoid punishment.

Relink in case you need it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBB3Ah4latk

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
Pierced goin hard with them facts. Also, if you'd like to see Nado get punished rather often, watch a set between ADHD and M2K. ADHD punishes M2K's nado pressure consistantly.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Air camping is definitely overated, I know ZSS and Marth at the least could definitely punish MK hard for hanging above them. MK's dair is fast but there's still plenty of room in between them to punish if you have good and fast vertical hitboxes

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Really, any supposive weakness MK has is easily counter-acted by one of his pros, negating said weakness. He's light-so what? A good MK won't even get hit if he doesn't want to. Average shield? Why shield when you can attack?

He has no weaknesses that can be truely exploited-he's simply too powerful. As someone mentioned however, obviously human elements (like being too predictable) is why some (mistakingly) believe he isn't broken-however, played at a "perfect" (and I hate to use such theoretical, BS terms like that) level, he's unbeatable. Simple as that.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
What are my points, chopped liver? *Sees no one commented on previous post* >.>;

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that me and Pierce are talking about the same move; the under-the-stage Shuttle Loop; the move I claim the be unpunishable, but Pierce claims to be punishable. I found an example of the technique in that old video prepared the the pro-ban side during the 4th ban vote or something. I've taken the liberty of making the vid start at where I'm talking about, so go ahead and click. It lasts about 8 seconds, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Obviously I don't expect any MK players to use all 3 Shuttle Loops; I'm just referring to when MK uses the first Shuttle Loop to get back on the stage. Pay attention to the slow-mo version of the first Shuttle Loop. A hitbox slightly smaller than Metaknight is active inside of him(can be confirmed via any hitbox video), and it's STRONG. Now pay attention, because when MK touches down on the stage, he continues to move toward the ledge a bit of a distance. This means that if the Shuttle Loop hit the opponent or hit the opponent's shield, punishment is already out of the question(either due to shieldstun or that the opponent got knocked away, of course), because the Shuttle Loop has no endlag in this case.

In the face of this, the only way to beat out this move of MK's is either through a proper prediction and spotdodge, or having a hitbox where Metaknight will land. Well guess what? MK has all of those midair jumps at his disposal, so he can wait for the opponent to improperly predict it by hanging out underneath the stage. The midair Shuttle Loop reaches its apex at approximately frame 12-16(not 100% exactly which frame it is, but it's within that range). There is no spotdodge that's shorter than 16 frames, so that's out of the question. There are very few moves that last less than 16 frames, and the ones that do are weak or don't have the coverage needed to protect you from the attack.

Therefore, the only way to get around this method is to move away from the ledge or use projectiles on where you predict MK will land. If you move away from the ledge, MK can get back on the stage, and if you use projectiles, MK just has to regrab the ledge, take advantage of the projectile user's endlag, and get back onstage.

These are all no-hit or opponent gets hit situations.

Dekar173

Justice Man
What are my points, chopped liver? *Sees no one commented on previous post* >.>;

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that me and Pierce are talking about the same move; the under-the-stage Shuttle Loop; the move I claim the be unpunishable, but Pierce claims to be punishable. I found an example of the technique in that old video prepared the the pro-ban side during the 4th ban vote or something. I've taken the liberty of making the vid start at where I'm talking about, so go ahead and click. It lasts about 8 seconds, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Obviously I don't expect any MK players to use all 3 Shuttle Loops; I'm just referring to when MK uses the first Shuttle Loop to get back on the stage. Pay attention to the slow-mo version of the first Shuttle Loop. A hitbox slightly smaller than Metaknight is active inside of him(can be confirmed via any hitbox video), and it's STRONG. Now pay attention, because when MK touches down on the stage, he continues to move toward the ledge a bit of a distance. This means that if the Shuttle Loop hit the opponent or hit the opponent's shield, punishment is already out of the question(either due to shieldstun or that the opponent got knocked away, of course), because the Shuttle Loop has no endlag in this case.

In the face of this, the only way to beat out this move of MK's is either through a proper prediction and spotdodge, or having a hitbox where Metaknight will land. Well guess what? MK has all of those midair jumps at his disposal, so he can wait for the opponent to improperly predict it by hanging out underneath the stage. The midair Shuttle Loop reaches its apex at approximately frame 12-16(not 100% exactly which frame it is, but it's within that range). There is no spotdodge that's shorter than 16 frames, so that's out of the question. There are very few moves that last less than 16 frames, and the ones that do are weak or don't have the coverage needed to protect you from the attack.

Therefore, the only way to get around this method is to move away from the ledge or use projectiles on where you predict MK will land. If you move away from the ledge, MK can get back on the stage, and if you use projectiles, MK just has to regrab the ledge, take advantage of the projectile user's endlag, and get back onstage.

These are all no-hit or opponent gets hit situations.
Woah woah woah- you're wrong about it being unpunishable.

I agree, MK needs to go, BUT this is misinformation.

If an MK upBs onto the stage like displayed in the vid, you can oos usmash him, hit him with an item, jab, dolphin slash, any number of quick moves.

It's not unpunishable, just difficult to punish.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
If an MK upBs onto the stage like displayed in the vid, you can oos usmash him, hit him with an item, jab, dolphin slash, any number of quick moves.
You a hundred percent sure? I thought the shieldstun from getting hit, in conjunction with MK's ability to go into one of his frame 3 moves when the hitbox ends would be more than enough to stop OOS Usmash or other quick moves requiring the frame 7 shield drop...?

Dolphin Slash is legit, but I don't think anything else covers it.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
@Pierce: Saying "pro-ban doesn't know how to fight MK" makes about as much sense as... well I can't think of an example but it doesn't make a lot of sense. For instance I'm pro-ban largely because of planking (more to it than that, but yeah).

@This thread: it's dumb, and shouldn't it be in the MK forums?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
John it's not hard to punish this. Just for some anecdotal evidence, if I do that up b recovery against my brother's olimar, he will shield the hit and grab, or even drop shield fsmash, and there's not much I can do. It's a great mixup, not unpunishable by any means

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
What you said is entirely true. All of MK's attacks are susceptible to punishment if they're used improperly on shield. But the main cause of the issue is MK's above-par grab game. His grabs are high in reach and low on lag. If an MK chooses to abuse his grab game in the middle of all of his crazy attacks, he's going to get the opponent a bunch of times, if all they do is shield.

And as far as Ftilt, MK can do first hit, then dash grab if he sees the opponent shielding. Kinda like Marth's Dancing Blade first hit on shield to grab.

MK's throws are a guaranteed 9-12% damage plus the advantage of putting the opponent in a really bad position, namely the one that let's MK engage his aerial game.
Yes, but this does not neutralize my point, which was that at very close range, characters with a good jab have an advantage. If you try and use first hit ftilt to dash grab on me at close range, I WILL grab you.

I concede the fact that MK has good throws, but we all already knew that.

Crouching isn't always the best idea because it'll cause you to DI really badly IF he does manage to hit you, and it could spell a really early gimp if you're not careful.

More importantly, thought, it seems like crouching is giving MK a free pass to land so he should choose, because you can't move while crouching, and all of the crawls can't outrun MK in the air. Anyway, I don't think you'd want MK to re-engage his ground game, so yeah.
Umm, forgive me, but if you're a good player, you have no business getting hit by an airborne MK out of your crouch. Also, Crouching doesn't heavily reduce mobility at all. It very, very slightly reduces mobility, and you have time to walk in between Dairs. Since Dairing into the ground is very unsafe on shield, it's against MK's best interest to do that. You will eventually re-engage MK (unless you're running the whole fight, which is why a lot of you lose). You merely need to read what type of landing the MK is going to use, so you can punish appropriately.

I mostly derived this point from watching tournament matches. I usually see Metaknights start up the tornado when the opponent is about 1/5 of the stage away from the ledge. And when I see it get shielded, MK goes to the other side of the stage and ends the nado(lag cancel included), and I never see any punishment.
This is the safest action (shielding the tornado) but not the only option. Running from the tornado, then shielding, gives you far more leverage to punish. Anticipating it is also good.

I've seen A LOT of battles vs. MK, so why haven't I seen this technique put into practice?
Unfortunately, despite the fact that I have taught many people how to combat certain techniques, my practices are not always applied. I have PLAYED a lot of battles vs. MK, and have won a fair share of them. Take it as you will.

Yes, obviously. No one(except maybe GaW) likes being above the opponent; I just wanted to get it across that, out of all the characters in Brawl, MK is the least(or one of the least) disadvantaged characters when above the opponent.
GnW also suffers from being above the opponent. Because falling is an integral function in the game, and you cannot guard in the air, being grounded, below your opponent almost always puts you at advantage in this game. I concede that MK has astoundingly good options when in this position regardless, but that doesn't remove him from being disadvantaged.

Like the Tornado issue stated above, about 95% of the matches I've seen vs. MK while MK was on the ledge never resulted in punishment. It ended in either the opponent getting hit/killed, or the MK jumping away from the stage, followed by recovering high.
I'm afraid your opponents are poor at ledge traps. I advise everyone to get better at ledge traps and reading ledge options. Most of my strategy revolves around this aspect of the game, and in fact, allows Marth to overcome pretty much any MU (and allows MK to dominate even harder).

In either case, I've yet to see any player to consistently keep MK pinned while he was on the ledge.
Most characters that are viable in this game do not get permanently pinned at an edge. However, I have frequently removed large portions of the opponent's stock once forcing them to the ledge. Study more, practice more, and learn to utilize your opponent's disadvantages here. Just because people are bad at edge-trapping doesn't make it bad.

Going after MK after his invincibility's worn off imo is not a good idea. MK can drop down off the ledge on reaction to all of the projectiles in Brawl, and if you try to get in there to personally lay down a beatdown, won't you just eat a Uair?
I'm sorry. I thought you realized I was refering to characters that are good, and have options to hit MK from the stage while he's hanging on the ledge.

This is an obscenely good point, and I don't see any flaws with it. This is, imo, the best way, nay, the ONLY way to handle Meta on the ledge. The issue is, though, projectiles leave the user with some form of endlag(Falco excluded), so MK can still go ahead and time a getup to get off that ledge.
This is an all encompassing way to handle a player on the edge, and perhaps the best way. Also, considering MK's predicament of having transcended priority on all his aerials, projectiles are exceptionally good against him. Only Mach Tornado can break through projectiles while MK is in this predicament.

In Falco's case, he can just recover high, beginning with moving away from the stage, like I said on a different point. Worst case scenario, MK eats one or two lasers.

Could you tell me what your Mario friend did exactly to stop this?
Just hit MK. His attack has low priority and no disjointed. An aerial, smash attack, etc, will easily handle this. Mario isn't exactly chock full of range or priority, so if he can do it, anyone can. You can also just shield-grab it. Since it's a cross-up, just put your back facing towards the edge.

The only real threats to MK's Dair camping are Diddy and Snake, because they can throw their bananas/nades straight up to dish out some damage. But iirc, Diddy or Snake do not want to confront MK in the air while he's daring to Dair.
It seems like you lack understanding of the concepts of cooldown and vertical spacing. If the MK is Dairing low enough so that he can actually hit you, then most good characters are in striking range. Obviously, a faster rising speed and high aerial mobility are useful here. Your postbit indicates you are a Lucario main. Lucario is a PRIME EXAMPLE of a character that Dair camping is completely ineffective on.

Also, watch the link, plz. But for a different point now. Look at 1:10, and notice how Anti clinks his Tornado on shield, flees an adequate distance, and blocks ADHD's intended punishment. I still hold that using Nado CAN be used in ways to avoid punishment.
As mentioned before, I watched this live, right behind the two players in question (this tourney actually took place at my friend's house, several blocks from my house, and within very comfortable walking distance). Just because ADHD had slow reaction at that moment doesn't make tornado unpunishable. Additionally, I never implied that Tornado cannot be used defensively (in fact, Anti is a MASTER at using Tornado defensively.) However, YOU DID imply that Tornado was generally safe on block (false) and refuse to acknowledge it's cooldown as a weakness.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@Pierce: Saying "pro-ban doesn't know how to fight MK" makes about as much sense as... well I can't think of an example but it doesn't make a lot of sense. For instance I'm pro-ban largely because of planking (more to it than that, but yeah).

@This thread: it's dumb, and shouldn't it be in the MK forums?
Why did you put quotation marks around text and labeling me as the source, when that is not what I said?

A lot of pro-ban people are adamant about it BECAUSE they don't realize HOW to stop many of the strategies they are encountering. Naturally, the pro-ban people who's opinions concern me are typically good at fighting MK.

Anyway, the reason I decided to leave this in Tactical, is because combating MK is a large portion of the metagame in a whole, since the character is actually that popular. I'd estimate that nearly a third of all tournament entrants use MK now, so addressing the character's weaknesses in tactical is acceptable.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Yes, but this does not neutralize my point, which was that at very close range, characters with a good jab have an advantage. If you try and use first hit ftilt to dash grab on me at close range, I WILL grab you.

I concede the fact that MK has good throws, but we all already knew that.
Well, MK could always throw out Dtilts instead of grabs after the first hit of Ftilt. MK has way too many options in this situation and they're all outside the frame of human reaction.

Umm, forgive me, but if you're a good player, you have no business getting hit by an airborne MK out of your crouch. Also, Crouching doesn't heavily reduce mobility at all. It very, very slightly reduces mobility, and you have time to walk in between Dairs. Since Dairing into the ground is very unsafe on shield, it's against MK's best interest to do that. You will eventually re-engage MK (unless you're running the whole fight, which is why a lot of you lose). You merely need to read what type of landing the MK is going to use, so you can punish appropriately.
It's not that simple. MK can choose to land near you. If you choose to shield, expecting a Nado, MK can land and grab you. The mixup between Nado and grabbing is also outside human reaction, and the opponent will not know whether to shield or not.

GnW also suffers from being above the opponent. Because falling is an integral function in the game, and you cannot guard in the air, being grounded, below your opponent almost always puts you at advantage in this game. I concede that MK has astoundingly good options when in this position regardless, but that doesn't remove him from being disadvantaged.
I wouldn't say completely disadvantaged, per se, as MK still does have plenty of combat tools above the opponent, and more than enough ways to get himself to the ground; the most popular way being going for the ledge.

I'm afraid your opponents are poor at ledge traps. I advise everyone to get better at ledge traps and reading ledge options. Most of my strategy revolves around this aspect of the game, and in fact, allows Marth to overcome pretty much any MU (and allows MK to dominate even harder).
In regard to that... you said earlier that an opponent should space themselves to avoid ledgehopped Fair and Shuttle Loop, leaving enough time by reaction to block ledgehopped Nado. In that case, however, you're giving MK more than enough space to get back on stage, even with ledge pressure. I've played more than my fair share of players, and the simple act of mixing up between using the ledge attack, a ledgehopped Aura Sphere, or using the ledge jump is enough to avoid every onslaught from the opponent. If I, as Lucario have no trouble getting off the ledge, I'd assume MK would have an easy time getting off the ledge with even more options than Lucario, coupled with all the space the opponent was generous to give to him.

Most characters that are viable in this game do not get permanently pinned at an edge. However, I have frequently removed large portions of the opponent's stock once forcing them to the ledge. Study more, practice more, and learn to utilize your opponent's disadvantages here. Just because people are bad at edge-trapping doesn't make it bad.
I just want to confirm you're including MK in this subset of your argument. When my opponent isn't MK, I'm able to keep up the pressure on the ledge for a very long time.

If you can keep MK pinned at the ledge like a normal character, then I'd like to see some consistent example of such a thing. Two or three vids of you playing, if possible.

Also, considering MK's predicament of having transcended priority on all his aerials, projectiles are exceptionally good against him. Only Mach Tornado can break through projectiles while MK is in this predicament.
Y'know, just because MK is a special example of a character doesn't mean he can't airdodge and shield projectiles like everyone else...

Just hit MK. His attack has low priority and no disjointed. An aerial, smash attack, etc, will easily handle this. Mario isn't exactly chock full of range or priority, so if he can do it, anyone can. You can also just shield-grab it. Since it's a cross-up, just put your back facing towards the edge.
As I said before, all MK has to do is stall under the stage with his many jumps and wait for the opponent to make a move that puts him at 16+ frames of non-movement, then break out the Shuttle Loop for massive damage.

As mentioned before, I watched this live, right behind the two players in question (this tourney actually took place at my friend's house, several blocks from my house, and within very comfortable walking distance). Just because ADHD had slow reaction at that moment doesn't make tornado unpunishable. Additionally, I never implied that Tornado cannot be used defensively (in fact, Anti is a MASTER at using Tornado defensively.) However, YOU DID imply that Tornado was generally safe on block (false) and refuse to acknowledge it's cooldown as a weakness.
Holy wow, you were there? I was at that tourney too, lol. I didn't even notice!

Anyway, what I meant to say was that even if you use Nado on shield for a little bit of time, you still have the opportunity to move all the way across the stage outside general punishment zones.
Pierce, I think we're going in circles debating like this. I mean, I could post logical responses to your arguments, but you too can post logical responses to such responses, and the cycle would continue, and it seems kinda tedious, because we both have differing opinions on MK's moves, so yeah.

I'll give you that each and every character in the game has some advantage over MK in their matchup. Heck, even Falcon can do something against MK; break Tornado with the KYICK. The issue is that, in every MU, MK holds superior advantages over every character that heavily outflank the ones his opponent holds over MK.

Take the Lucario/MK MU, for starters. Lucario can handle MK's Dair camping better than most with well placed Fairs, but when MK lands on the ground and does grounded MK things, the match becomes an absolute nightmare for us, due to the quick moves MK has to offer on the ground.

Adversely, in the Snake/MK MU, Snake would prefer MK on the ground where he stands a good chance to dish out some damage, but MK is prone to jumping, and he'll do it A LOT around heavily grounded based characters. Olimar prolly would've served to show this point better, but you know what I'm talking about.

Metaknight's playstyle consists of three segments; his grounded game, his aerial game, and his offstage game. Between MK's grounded game and his aerial game, there's no character that defeats both aspects of him, and whichever category MK wins in, he DESTROYS the opponent in that area, and still manages to put up a well above average fight in whatever category his opponent excels in. And I don't even need to talk about how good MK's offstage game is. It absolutely wrecks the entire cast; even characters who are notable for having 'good' recoveries, like Snake and ROB's recoveries.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Good god. Mk destroys every character grounded pretty much.

Wolf vs Mk, Wolf wins in the air though :)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Though we do all agree his pro's overshadow his cons, right?

As long as that is the case, I have no issue with this thread at all.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I think this is the only intelligent thing SaveMe will ever post.
Of course, not like it'll do any good. MK's weaknesses, few as they are, are really not that exploitable. I actually think it's kinda funny watching people debate over something like this. How much does anyone wanna bet this will turn into a Proban vs Antiban argument and that'll get locked?

On an actually pertaining to the topic note, I agree with TKONTK. His pros far outshadow his cons, and I think in order for any progress to be made on the MK matchup, people will have to take bunches of frame data and carefully analyze hours of MK play in order to find out anything significant. If there is anything, I mean.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, MK could always throw out Dtilts instead of grabs after the first hit of Ftilt. MK has way too many options in this situation and they're all outside the frame of human reaction.
. . . what? I'm not going to even devise a counter-argument to this, because it's just false. If MK hits your shield with a tilt while you are in grab range, you should grab him, plain and simple. On ftilt, the guessing game is vastly in your favor.

It's not that simple. MK can choose to land near you. If you choose to shield, expecting a Nado, MK can land and grab you. The mixup between Nado and grabbing is also outside human reaction, and the opponent will not know whether to shield or not.
Perhaps you have poor reaction time. This is a viable mix-up, but by no means should you let this frequently happen to you. Letting MK completely enter your range and grab you means you're doing something wrong, and have not developed good habits.

I wouldn't say completely disadvantaged, per se, as MK still does have plenty of combat tools above the opponent, and more than enough ways to get himself to the ground; the most popular way being going for the ledge.
I wouldn't consider this most popular way. Also, MK is typically disadvantaged when on the ledge, as I've mentioned several times.

In regard to that... you said earlier that an opponent should space themselves to avoid ledgehopped Fair and Shuttle Loop, leaving enough time by reaction to block ledgehopped Nado. In that case, however, you're giving MK more than enough space to get back on stage, even with ledge pressure. I've played more than my fair share of players, and the simple act of mixing up between using the ledge attack, a ledgehopped Aura Sphere, or using the ledge jump is enough to avoid every onslaught from the opponent. If I, as Lucario have no trouble getting off the ledge, I'd assume MK would have an easy time getting off the ledge with even more options than Lucario, coupled with all the space the opponent was generous to give to him.
Because of the height that a ledge jump gives Lucario, this switches his position from a ledge trap to a juggle. It's still a disadvantaged position. Many good characters, including MK can make this transition, but until your feet hit the ground, you're still in a bad spot. MK without the ability to tilt or shield is not nearly as powerful, and is vulnerable to most good characters at this time.

I just want to confirm you're including MK in this subset of your argument. When my opponent isn't MK, I'm able to keep up the pressure on the ledge for a very long time.

If you can keep MK pinned at the ledge like a normal character, then I'd like to see some consistent example of such a thing. Two or three vids of you playing, if possible.
I play Marth and MK (amongst many other characters, but these are my mains). I typically KILL my opponents when getting them on the ledge, except for MK. However, I often do manage to keep MK pinned at the edge, or at least punish his return (often resetting the pin, sometimes on the other edge)

Y'know, just because MK is a special example of a character doesn't mean he can't airdodge and shield projectiles like everyone else...
Oh darn, I didn't consider this. Why did I use projectiles again? Oh yeah, because they're good anyway and produce frame traps!

As I said before, all MK has to do is stall under the stage with his many jumps and wait for the opponent to make a move that puts him at 16+ frames of non-movement, then break out the Shuttle Loop for massive damage.
****, what a game breaking strategy! I'm just going to infinitely fly in this precise spot, and wait for you to do something laggy, even though only one move in my arsenal with low priority game hit you.

Dude, please drop this section of your argument, because it's heavily damaging your credibility.

Holy wow, you were there? I was at that tourney too, lol. I didn't even notice!
Were you? I knew everyone except for 2 people at that tourney. If you're in my area, play me sometime, or observe me play friendlies, and perhaps I'll demonstrate some of the tactics I'm attempting to explain to you.

Anyway, what I meant to say was that even if you use Nado on shield for a little bit of time, you still have the opportunity to move all the way across the stage outside general punishment zones.
Most often no. Feinting a retreat and then hitting an opponent who drops their shield, or stabbing the shield are the safest ways to not get punished for tornado. Most good characters can either dash to a punish, or use a boosting attack to punish MK for Tornado.

Pierce, I think we're going in circles debating like this. I mean, I could post logical responses to your arguments, but you too can post logical responses to such responses, and the cycle would continue, and it seems kinda tedious, because we both have differing opinions on MK's moves, so yeah.
Considering that this thread is to discuss MK's weaknesses, as an experienced tactician, I feel responsible to let people know counter strategies to misunderstood strategies that MK has. The fact that you think Dair camping is a broken strategy (it's okay at best, and poor against many characters) and that Reverse Shuttle Loop from the edge is the move of gods, means I still have work here.

I'll give you that each and every character in the game has some advantage over MK in their matchup. Heck, even Falcon can do something against MK; break Tornado with the KYICK. The issue is that, in every MU, MK holds superior advantages over every character that heavily outflank the ones his opponent holds over MK.
MK really shouldn't be using Nado at Falcon from a range where he can react with Falcon Kick, though his running shield and Uair are pretty good. However, that's not the point. MK does in fact, shut down a LOT of characters. Like GnW for instance.

Take the Lucario/MK MU, for starters. Lucario can handle MK's Dair camping better than most with well placed Fairs, but when MK lands on the ground and does grounded MK things, the match becomes an absolute nightmare for us, due to the quick moves MK has to offer on the ground.
Darn, isn't that exactly what I said? MK is weak in the air, but at neutral with his tilts and shield, is when he's a nightmare?

Adversely, in the Snake/MK MU, Snake would prefer MK on the ground where he stands a good chance to dish out some damage, but MK is prone to jumping, and he'll do it A LOT around heavily grounded based characters. Olimar prolly would've served to show this point better, but you know what I'm talking about.
No, Snake just sucks against MK. MK's just seem to suck at this MU for some reason. MK beats Snake in virtually every arena. Snake's saving grace is his ability to punish well, and most people are prone to making mistakes. If the MK is playing the match correctly, then Snake should only hit MK in two ways.
A) Snake takes a risk, and counters MK's action (this is very hard to do, even with perfect reading, considering Snake's limited moveset)
B) MK took a risk, or made an error

However, most Snakes do NOT crouch when being air camped, they don't crawl to space properly. Also, Snake loses to MK on the ground.

Olimar does indeed force MK to jump, but since Olimar's close range tools are even poorer than MKs, and he has a terrible dodge set, he still gets ***** if you know the MU.

Metaknight's playstyle consists of three segments; his grounded game, his aerial game, and his offstage game. Between MK's grounded game and his aerial game, there's no character that defeats both aspects of him, and whichever category MK wins in, he DESTROYS the opponent in that area, and still manages to put up a well above average fight in whatever category his opponent excels in. And I don't even need to talk about how good MK's offstage game is. It absolutely wrecks the entire cast; even characters who are notable for having 'good' recoveries, like Snake and ROB's recoveries.
Mostly true. Marth is actually well designed to combat MK in all of these arenas. However, MK's rewards for landing a hit are far greater, since his juggle game has Mach Tornado, and he also takes less risks when combating Marth. This tips the scale far in his favor.

I recover against MK fairly consistently, and am more successful at edge-guarding an MK with Marth, then MKs are at edge-guarding me as Marth. However, this is just one character, and the only potent example where this is consistent.

Top Bottom