• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vman's Yoshi vs Axe *NEW* Rate, Comment, Plz

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Allrite, so now it's been 3 months now, since I've been playing Super Awesome Yoshi, and WOW, omg, it's soooo fun you guys... Like really... No joke, here, I'm going to play Yoshi, in tournament, and make him one of my best characters to use.... IMO, he has soo much unexplored potential...and I'm gonna do anything I can to push his game.... Axe, has been an excellent motivator for me... as I have for him with his Pikachu, and he was there to support me when i started with Mewtwo as well....

Like I've stated many times, many places...I am going to play Yoshi, and hopefully motivate other players as well, to believe the same theory that Axe and I follow, and that any character can be pushed with the proper dedication/motivation... Not to mention of all the characters I play.. I enjoy playing Yoshi the most...and I never thought I'd feel this way ^^

Anyway upon request, people have wanted me to play vs premier players, and hopefully this will be enough for now, I hope you all enjoy these... ^^ Please, rate, comment, critique.. you know the drill ^^

Keep playing Yoshi everyone!!

These were best 3 Out Of 5

V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Axe (Pikachu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awK_WdXj12g - Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4GDoih8CU - Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTKTrsvIU0k - Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbnqlW5R7Q - Game 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86I13X1XPA - Game 5

And these were best 2 out of 3

V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Axe (Falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnTx-7c-iQ - Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMM6twD4YM - Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6nkbOy6-4 - Game 3

Allrite I hope everyone enjoys! ^^

mers

Smash Ace
First of all...

Your Yoshi ***** hard. Like, that's amazing.

I don't know anything about Yoshi, and so my opinions are probably pretty worthless, but your Yoshi seems extremely agressive. Is this the best way to play him? I know his defensive options aren't really that great, but it seems like a patient player could take apart your approaches and exploit your character's weaknesses.

I dunno. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the appropriate level of aggression for a Yoshi.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Keep on improving, =D you're the Yoshi prodigy.

You, Bloshi and Mind Trick are the only Yoshis really anymore, and Low/Bottom Tiers are awesome, so I really hope you can keep stepping it up. =D

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I commented on youtube bout the falco matches. But yeah great stuff man. Especially vs Pikachu. You covered alot of the options very well. An you did a great job of staying low to avoid that iron tail. I hope the tourney goes well for ya.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Very nice. I was impressed with all of the matches. It's nice to see character diversity in action like this. I've never seen Yoshi move so fast. And that Pikachu was really fast too. And when did Axe get sooo good with Falco?!

SDC

Smash Lord
Vman, I like your yoshi alot man, fast, smart, smooth, and risky. Keep working at it.
I'd normally advise picking up and using a good character, but hey, if you're happy, you're happy. Keep workin at it man.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you have any videos where your opponent doesn't suck? I mean, who's this AXE guy anyway?

Seriously though, your Yoshi is exciting to watch. The reverse edge-grabbed egg tosses are so smooth and the, I'm presuming, double jump wavelands almost certainly delivers him at a speed that can make Yoshi passable at the very least. I would dare to say, in your hands, even further.

Without playing a Yoshi like that myself, its hard to gauge what is good tactics to employ against a Yoshi or what a good Yoshi should do, so an honest critique seems hardly possible. But, I'll give it my best try after watching a bunch of your videos.

The good:
Movement- I really didn't expect that kind of speed. I may have lost my first stock against you had I not known ahead of time of such reptilian velocity.
Grace- It appears that you've almost completely removed ground attacks from your game, relying, or at least focusing, on shffl attacks. Though that's to be expected at this level of play, seeing a Yoshi execute it, and consistently well, is a rarity in my experience.
Abortions- The egg play is impeccably deployed, rendering many obvious uses, such as edge-guarding, but leading to some beautiful applications like an edge-canceled toss into a Uair combo I am now a witness of.

The Bad:
Timing- There were a few places where you would leave the edge unmanned when just staying there would have earned another kill, but, because of a badly timed attempt to knock your opponent away, you missed and left yourself out to die. If you are going to do something so risky, especially on a character that in everyone else's view is already at a disadvantage, you had better make sure you can make something out of it. But, good timing comes with time; a sort of weird pun, isn't it? I'm sure that's something that will just get better and not something you can specifically "work on."
KOs- Yoshi seems to lack some solid knockback, yet, at the same time, hardly shows any potential for combo-ability. Nothing seems to connect well aside from nicely timed, and partially situational, egg-to-air attack two hit combo. Added to this, the only legit kills you got were, usually, close edge-hogs; so it appears that Yoshi is stuck in this depressing middle ground and can't draw the strength of either.

I do have questions based on your style of play that I'm sure you have answers to.
1. You don't grab at all. I'm assuming that's because it's easily punished, or is there a deeper meaning to it than that, like having nothing good to do out of his throws?
2. Why do you appear reluctant to use the Dair, as I believe it does some solid damage? Is the frame lag unbearable, even with L-canceling, or is it too difficult to line-up when shffl'ing?
3. When can you come over? I need to make sure to get time off then, so that we can optimize the amount of time we can hang.
4. Why do you seem to stray away from the ground game, or is this question wrong?
5. Do you agree with me that Yoshi seems to be stuck between worlds as far as knock-back is concerned, or could that question wrong too?

I can't wait to view more. See ya.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You will inspire some players sorry but I love pichu to much to join any bandwangons.

amazing matches really amazing and to think fox is faster than that blows my mind as of now.

amazing platforming it's clear that BF is your favorite stage. Really I can't say anything awesome enough to desreible your yoshi. Axe needs to learn how to use thunder and it is impossible to see his flaws in his pikachu.

rhan

Smash Hero
Corey do you seriously not know about Axe? O_O

Also it's been forever since I seen you post.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I've played AXE before, so I would hope I know about him. XD

The real question is what are you doing in the Pikachu forums when you could be in the Samus or Roy ones?

"Axe needs to learn how to use thunder and it is impossible to see his flaws in his pikachu."
First, you point out how he could improve, then you say you see no error in his play style. Is that not contradictory?

rhan

Smash Hero
I've played AXE before, so I would hope I know about him. XD

The real question is what are you doing in the Pikachu forums when you could be in the Samus or Roy ones?
I knew that.. It's obvious that you have.. xD

Lol also I don't play Roy... I lurk the Samus boards though. She's pretty much my main now. But I don't like explaining things.. I'm too lazy to. But I've learned a lot and improved since Pound 4 if I do say so myself. You'd be proud. :)

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to watch your videos, I've been away for quite awhile, but I guess I have some time to critique now, so here goes.

I think you've made a lot of improvement from the last couple batches of vids you've posted, but there's still a lot of stuff that makes me a sad Yoshi. You're a lot better with your movement, and your spacing is really good too, but you still make some technical mistakes (like with ECE), and I just don't particularly agree with some of the options you choose. I also think your aggressive style is a bit readable, and that's not good at all. I feel Yoshi has to be more of a defensive character, to use his double jump and crouch cancel to their fullest extent (especially CC pikachu, and DJCC vs falco). I don't like Yoshi as a character that attempts to overwhelm the opponent, because he just doesn't have the options available to him to pressure effectively.

I'm really surprised you did as well as you did, but no offense, I think it has something to do with axe having little Yoshi experience. Playing against a Yoshi is like playing a completely different game, and what you have to do is just get chip damage, rather than comboing, or else you'll eat a DJC counter. Axe also didn't seem to know Yoshi's spacing well, so he got hit with some dumb RDJC things, and didn't outprioritize during easy to read things. Watch out for people being able to outprioritize you, or just plain CC you when you're rushing in so much, for example, a campy falco can just sit there when you're in the air and u-tilt a f/d-air, and CC-shine everything else

The biggest flaw I saw though, most definitely, was the edgeguarding. This is the key place where your impatience shines, and I can tell you've grown into a terrible habit with running off and egging, into more useless ECE. What you do should depend HIGHLY on the opponents char and positioning, and the places where this is particularly useful, are pretty few and far apart. I feel like egging is a good idea for when opponents are far away, but only to tack on damage, whereas close up, it almost helps them recover, and if you're busy getting off of the ledge from egging, there's no possible way you can edgeguard them efficiently. If you really must egg, egg on the stage, because those things give so much stun, you'll be ready to hit with a d-smash or edgehog before they get back anyways, and even if it doesn't hit, it should be placed to redirect them enough to still give you an advantage. You need to leave yourself the option to punish recoveries that aren't trying to sweetspot.

Something I really loved about your playstyle is how good you were with grabbing in the set vs his pikachu, but unfortunately Yoshi's throws aren't great vs floaties, so I was disappointed when the amount of grabs declined vs Axe's falco, when you could have actually used them for some devastating ****.

Why no b-air? :< That's like one of my favorite Yoshi moves, and I didn't really see you use much of it at all. It's great for comboing, spacing, pressure kind of, etc, I can't really think of any reason not to use such a versatile attack. So, is there some reason you don't like it, or what?

I'm actually pretty tired right now though, so like I can't think of much else to say for now. Just focus more on being defensive and doing smarter things, rather than potentially putting yourself in danger, work on your edgeguarding too. I think there were some shielding problems too, like too much predictable rolling, and no sidestepping at all, very little light shielding to get out of pressure situations too. All in all, still a pretty good Yoshi though, I'm lookin forward to seeing more, and maybe playing you sometime soon too.

Yoshi dittos? : D

The Star King

Smash Hero
Dude. I've never thought of light-shielding against a character such as Falco to escape shield pressure. You don't need to time it or anything, you just hold L/R lightly and you will slide away immediately. SO EASY. Sorry if I'm overreacting lol

LEARN TO PARRY. DO IT. IT HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Thanks all you guys for all the replies support.. OMG YoshiisCool, you're here too... It's been a while since I've seen you post!..

I wanted to add your name in the Analysis channel to be a "critiquer" for upcoming Yoshi players, but i didn't know if you still played/posted or whatever.. ^^; It's good to have you back...

Ok, i'm a do my best and take all this advice and absorb it.. and stuff... Thanks again everybody!

The Star King

Smash Hero
I dunno I don't really agree at all with yoshiiscool saying Yoshi should be a defensive character, especially with him being like the fastest lower tier character, but I can't really describe why. You probably shouldn't even listen to me.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Moo mostly knows what he's talking about.

Yoshi thrives on a well-rounded defense.

Top Bottom