• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion: Mario

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

How do we win?
What do we watch out for?
Stages to BAN/CP?
Tips/Tricks when fighting this character?
Videos?
MU classification?

Remember, we are not using the "mu ratio" scheme anymore. Describe the MU using the following MU classifications:

Heavy Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Slight Disadvantage
Even
Slight Advantage
Advantage
Heavy Advantage

Matt07

Smash Master
How do we win?
Basically as Mario we want to keep you inside, so we can pressure your shield, and force you to stay close combat, because, if we're going to play the projectile game you win. Z-air can force Mario to be careful with how he approaches in the air, and with Mario's smaller range, you want to be able to force him to constantly be trying to approach you. And up-B can help Samus a lot, because it hurts d-air, and we like to put shield pressure on constantly. Also when Mario is offstage take advantage, force him to waste his jumps/Cape, and go for the edgeguard. If you d-air us, we're pretty much KO'd unless we're at super low percents.

What do we watch out for?
Cape! Avoid trying to be too predictable with your projectiles, and watch out for Mario's control of the platforms, Fireball's can be a slight nuisance as well if your trying to approach Mario. F-smash has huge range as well, again can be avoided by staying too close to Mario.

Stages to BAN/CP?
Hmm...Mario does quite well on Battlefield, any other stages with lots of platforms. I'd personally think it'd be good to take him to a stage with fewer platforms, and more room for camping.

Tips/Tricks when fighting this character?
Camp, force us to approach. And try to take advantage of Mario's recovery, for early KO's.

Videos?

MU classification?
I have no idea, I'd personally rate it even. I believe Mario can have an easier time getting inside of Samus, and racking up quite decent damage, and has an easier time KO'ing, then Samus. However, as long as Samus is unpredictable with her projectiles, uses upB whenever Mario is shield pressuring, and takes advantage of Mario offstage is what keeps it even.

Sorry, I'm not the greatest with match-up's, and I've fought few Samus', and most of this is thought out of my head, so I don't mind if you take it with a grain of salt.

Throwback

Smash Lord
This MU is mario's advantage, the only question is how much. I'd rate it a slight advantage.

Main factors are mario's fireballs & samus' terrible SH height & massive vertical hurtbox; cape for CS, vertical spacing and gimps; and the difference in kill power/setups. None of those things are un-counterable for samus, but they do provide an advantage for mario.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Also worth note coming from a mario mainer as well as a samus main, NEVER underestimate FLUDD.
It has very strange and decieving properties such as FLUDD Induced Hit Lag. Fludd goes easily through both types of missles and cause a very strange effect on zair. A CS charged at least half way goes through FLUDD, but if Mario is one the offensive, good luck. FLUDD also screws with bomb jump recovery by pushing you away from the bombs.

Also, while Samus has a decent OoS option with screw attack, Mario has one that is at least even, if not better than Samus's in the form of the Super Jump Punch. It has invincibility frames on startup, has insane priority, and is THE fastest OoS option in the game

Mario has better ground and air combat, but Samus has a bit of leeway because Mario can have a hard time killing outside of gimps. With proper DI, dsmash, and fsmash won't kill you for a while, usmash is decent but it isn't THAT good.

Also, don't count out fireballs. There uses are many and don't underestimate them. They can easily get Samus into frame traps and mess up her recovery

IYM!

Smash Lord
another good point agains Mario is our range, Samus F and D tilt outrange the mario's tilt and our Screw attack can save us of a combo. Our spaming force Mario to stay away and if he use his cape we will hit him with our Zair.

Mario isnt a heavy character, so we will kill early with a CS or a Fsmash

Gimp him is one of the key in this MU.

Sadly, Mario have better priority than Samus, and a Melee combat with him will resulñt in a cerious damage for Samus.

Keep your distance, spam Zair, and try to gimp him

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
From my knowledge it is in deed, suprisingly, faster. While the move itself is slower, the SJP comes out faster OoS. Weird yes, but that is what i recall so there is a chance i am wrong.

Mechmainiac

Smash Cadet
I think that Mario has the advantage I mean what do we have sides the Z-Air on Mario. Mario has melee down on samus I mean I would say go camping if mario didnt have that god **** cape the best option i can think of is gimp with z-air

Matt07

Smash Master
About Mario's upB -- I believe the hitbox for Mario's upB comes out on Frame 3, but Mario has invicibility frames during 1-3.

At least to my knowledge, but I know for a fact that it's faster than Marth's.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
About Mario's upB -- I believe the hitbox for Mario's upB comes out on Frame 3, but Mario has invicibility frames during 1-3.

At least to my knowledge, but I know for a fact that it's faster than Marth's.
^ This

Also, Mario's Up-B has insane priority, so don't be thinking you will be catching him with a dair spike without perfect timing AND spacing

Throwback

Smash Lord
It can be done, normally you will trade. Pretty sure it's invincible frames 1-6 like marth's, only the hitbox comes out earlier AND it sitll has invincible frames in the air.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I just re-read that, I still think it's pretty decent. My only change would be the stages to pick - lylat is turning out to be a really horrible stage for me thanks to those bloody ledges which make me throw out a grab instead of a zair if I'm anywhere near them. Also I think delphino is a very neutral stage, given all the different changes.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Oh, man. Maybe I wasn't really skilled at the time. I don't get a lot of time to play Brawl. I have played against KhaosMatador and Vato_break. The tip that KhaosMatador gave me, because he would fight LuviantX, was to keep yourself spaced. Sure, Mario's fireballs are really annoying, but z-air cuts through them. I'd say that Mario has the advantage, and after I had brawled with KhaosMatador, I told him, "Mario should be higher on the tier list." That's how good I think Mario is. Oh, and there's flameon, as well. I think that's his name.

I'm not sure if you've included this in your write up Throwback, I may have missed it, but when Samus is in her pushback animation from CS (not shot his way), and Mario capes, will we get reflected in direction or will we just turn around and keep going? I've never understood Mario's cape all that well so I may have to venture to the Mario boards for some information.

Top Bottom