• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters advanced techniques video guides project

dandan

Smash Lord
I have decided to do video guides for advanced techniques for each of the characters.
This means more informational data about techniques and their application and less discussion of matchups and other facets of the characters.
However, this will let me really delve in-depth to the advanced techniques of each character.
I intend to make these as complete and as full of information as possible.

Currently I have done the first video, and that video is of:

Yoshi

You can watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpZY7WN4Uo&fmt=22

If you find something wrong in the video, or know of more techniques that should be in it, please post it here and I will add them to a list and change the video accordingly in the future.

Current suggestions
DJL - Double Jump Landing - holing back while double jumping allows you to double jump without leaving the ground. One application of this comes when you parry and jump and can use this to do any ground attack instead of using aerials. Another application is the ability to stop your ascent and make youreslf land immidiately on platfroms.

This is planned to be a long term project, allowing me to make all the guides and keep them up to date with all the good suggestions.

So please, don't hesitate suggesting techniques. In addition, when I make the next video (might be this week, no promises) I will post it here ahead of time so we can get a list of all the techniques that should be in it.

This is my first time trying editing, so hopefully i have not botched it up, and I hope you will like it and find it useful.

Also, special thanks for SheerMadness and Mahie on helping me with this video (Ciaza too).

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You can break shields with just nairs.

Also ledge cancel (as in the slide off ledge cancel) will cancel anything, not just down b and up b. This seems more like a misuse of common terminlogy.

Do you really have to hold shield for less than 2 frames to parry? That doesn't seem right to me.

One thing to maybe put in there is that there's no disadvantage to parrying every time you usmash or grab (or even jump, though that's a bit harder).

Battlecow

Play to Win
The Up-B "ledge cancel" (I think ledge sweetspot or something would be better terminology) is really useful against Dougs who edgeguard with their Up-B.

Good guide! really useful basic information that players at low-mid-even kinda high levels can use. I approve.

Peek~

Smash Lord
I like this very much. +100 Support

I personally prefer guides with narrating instead of having to read everything/listen to butt music(though the song I was listening to went well with the video ^^)

Editing was fine

Mahie

Smash Lord
The" Ledge cancel" term is my fault, he asked me for it and I said it shouldn't be called "Edge cancel" because that's for when you slide off an edge, and it's not really ledge stalling either, so I just said that randomly.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
nice editing and info dandan.

Although I already knew all the info, it was still nice to see the parry section explained again.

There is a 5th type of parry btw, parry into upb out of shield. WHY would anyone do this? IDK, but its a possibility.

nice work

dch111

Smash Journeyman
(I think ledge sweetspot or something would be better terminology)
It's currently listed as "ledge b-cancel" since it's a special property of certain b-moves, but calling it ledge sweetspot also gets the message across.

dandan

Smash Lord
You can break shields with just nairs.

Do you really have to hold shield for less than 2 frames to parry? That doesn't seem right to me.
you can break shields just with nairs, however if i am not mistaken using the smashes will save you one hit.

the frame data about parrying was taken from ant-d, i think if you hold it for more then 2 frames you see the shield animation, then it is more like you get reduced shield stun than parry.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
You could add the button input on the screen for each technique for future guides (Like an image on top of the screen showing forward A or diagonal A...etc), should be useful to help people in other advanced techniques like teleporting.

Just my input, nicely made guide.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
yo dandan, could you add mario's/luigi's Third up B?
also, add how to get more height with the mario tornado, mine is so weak. :(

dandan

Smash Lord
yo dandan, could you add mario's/luigi's Third up B?
also, add how to get more height with the mario tornado, mine is so weak. :(
what do you mean third upb, do not know the definition.
for tornado i just spam, so if someone knows a better way, please tell

#HBC | ѕoup

I think it's called the vertical upb in the .pdf guide in the smash index.
Well, i'm honestly not sure, but i saw saske get some serious height with his mario tornado while mine pesrsisted to barely get me to recover.

#HBC | ѕoup

yeah...i tried that. i mash, and mash, and mash, but i still feel like i'm not getting that vertical height i want.

Mahie

Smash Lord
That's a ten minute long combo video. Do you mean the first few seconds of it where the buttons are flashing?
Yeah, I was responding to the two above posts talking about showing the imput on screen, and that's a good example of what it could look like. ( The first 10 seconds of that video.)

Top Bottom