• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New tournament system and User Blogs are back!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Those of us in the new Developers Depot section on Smashboards have been hard at work at changing the way we do tournaments here on Smashboards, and are ready to unveil our new work!

First off, User Blogs is now fixed and fully working again! (and hopefully this time permanently...) Feel free to post!

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Also, clicking on "New Topic" in User Blogs will bring you straight to the "Submit Blog entry" page, no need to go through Smash News to do it!

As for our tournament system, currently tournaments are posted in both Regional Zones and Tournament Listings, but plenty of questions arise... Which forum should I post my tournament in? I can't search by date... There is no easy way for me to see all upcoming events to make sure the one I schedule doesn't conflict with others! Well, we have an answer to all of that.

#1. Tournaments are to no longer be posted in Regional Zones, we will only use Tournament Listings.

#2. Tournament Listings is now "linked" to a calendar we call *drum roll* the Tournament Calendar.

To access the Tournament Calendar, you can find a link for it in the Smash Tournaments section.

With the exception of all tournaments currently made in Tournament Listings, the Tournament Calendar will be in sync with the Tournament Listings forum. If you make a tournament via a calendar entry, a thread will automatically be created for you, and if you make a thread for a tournament a calendar entry will be automatically made for you! Furthermore, since both are in sync, if you edit your Tournament Listings thread, your calendar entry will be updated, and if you edit your calendar entry thread, your Tournament Listings thread will be updated!

#3. Post events with the new system.

As mentioned in the last paragraph, you can enter events in one of two ways, from the Tournament Listings forum or by making a new calendar entry.

Click Ranged Event under Add New Event on the Tournament Calendar.

Click New Post in the Tournament Listings forum.

Both methods of entry use the same form and bring you to the same page. This new page offers a lot more information than how users previously made threads.

Title: The title of your tournament. Example: "Smashboards Tournament"
Start and End Dates: When your tournament starts and ends. For a single day tournament, make them as the same date.
Start and End Times: Post the approximate time your tournament will start and end. This helps with the reminder system, and it is important information for attendees to know. You can be more descriptive in your event description. Either use the set time drop down box OR input it manually in the same fashion, such as "4:45 pm"
Time Zone: So people can see the time correctly and set reminders properly, be sure to enter the time zone your tournament is hosted in. By default this is set to the same time zone you specified in your personal preferences.
Region: This is where your tournament will be hosted. We have all of the main regions of the US, along with other territories tournaments are held in such as Australia, Mexico, Europe, and Canada.
Games: Enter what games will be at your tournament. We have plenty of drop down options pre-set for you, or you can enter in your own games and combinations.
Location: Enter the location of your tournament, example: Philadelphia, PA
Event Information: The thread of your tournament. Everything else goes here and will show up as the thread in Tournament Listings and as the event information in the calendar.

Once you create an event two things happen:
1. A calendar entry is made on the date(s) you created your tournament on. Basic information will be seen and you can click on it for more details.
2. A thread will be made in Tournament Listings. A prefix based on what region it is hosted in will be made on it, and the title of the thread will be in the following format:
/Region/: /Game/: /Title/ /Date/ /Location/

#4. Add your current events to the new system.

Say you already have a Tournament Listings thread you want to work with the new system, we have a solution for you!
Step 1. Make sure you have both a Tournament Listings thread and a calendar entry that you wish to sync together for your tournament. If you do not have one of these, create it first.
Step 2. Visit this page here: http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=page&template=eventforum
Enter the URL of the thread and calendar entry you wish to merge and it will now work in our new system as explained above.

#5. How to find tournaments.

Users now have a plethora of options they can use for finding tournaments. They are mainly accessible through two main methods, Tournament Listings and the Tournament Calendar.

Tournament Listings:

When you visit Tournament Listings you will see every thread for every tournament. Important events will be stickied at the top (the prime way for finding giant National and International events), though you can use prefixes to find the events that mean the most to you.

At the bottom you can select which prefixes you want to view. Since every region is a prefix, you can view only events from a certain region if you want to.

Threads will still be ordered by recent posts by default, so you can check out which events are getting the most attention. If you are looking for a specific game, just scan down the threads and look for the colored titles of Melee, Brawl, etc - they are really easy to find in the list!

Tournament Calendar:

From the calendar you have a bunch of different options for viewing tournaments, specifically tailored to a specific date or time you wish to look for. From the calendar you can click on specific days to see every event being hosted on that day, switch to different months, or even switch to different calendar views, including Weekly View, Monthly View, and Yearly View.

When looking at a list of events on a specific day, you see basic information such as the title, location, game(s), and region, but you can also get a look at the entire description!

What if I want to find a tournament in my region?

On the top of Tournament Listings and every thread in Tournament Listings, there will be a helpful notice on the top you can click to sort tournaments by region!

Once again special thanks to everyone in the Developers Depot for this (especially Bionic who was the main coder in this project) and the rest of the staff for help with testing. If you encounter any problems with the new system or need assistance in using it, please do not hesitate to contact either Bionic or vVv ChiboSempai via PM. (thanks to vVv ChiboSempai for the write-up!)

Discuss!

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Cool system it seems easy to set up and even easier to find.

But why did you guys have to take away the tourney director group? Wouldn't you think with this new system, you would want to keep it?

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The point of the old tournament directors group was to enable access to the Tournament Calendar so TO's can post events on there. Because of the new system, it became meaningless to have it around.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
edit:
Nevermind this post I'm stupid and didn't read a certain part!

Contribution to thread:

I really like this system. Seems a tad clustered but I'm sure either that will be smoothed out or just something we all get accustomed to.

I have two suggestions:

•Something I would really like is an easier to find link for this:
http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=page&template=eventforum

I accidentally made a 2nd thread for my tournament this weekend I'm running with Swiftbass because I did not see anything there that would allow merging. (Which I would love to be deleted at this point http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291068 <- )

•Making the calender region-viewable if the user sets it as such. Similar (see: exactly the same as) the way you can now select different regions in the tournament listings.

Also, this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11597006&postcount=292
Gave Swift the merger link and what to do. This was the result

If you didn't click that, it's basically him saying he tried for like 10 minutes and it didn't work

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Ah. I'll merge both of your stuff. For future reference for people who are confused, here's a step-by-step of what to do:

If you made your event after the tournament system update on November 13th (around 3:00pm), then you are all set to go! There is nothing extra you need to do.

To adapt your current thread to our new system

So you have a lone thread in Tournament Listings without this new spiffy calendar link, so what are you to do? Follow these steps:

1. Make a new calendar entry. You can use this link here to do so: http://www.smashboards.com/calendar.php?do=add&c=1 Creating a new thread in Tournament Listings also works.

2. Fill out the new calendar entry with all of the info you can. Put the tournament name, date(s), time, game, region, etc. For the event information copy in the entire OP of your old listings thread. To do this simply, go to edit your old thread's OP, select and copy all, and paste it into the event information of your new calendar entry. A new thread will be created with this new calendar entry, but disregard it. It will be automatically deleted in the next step.

3. Go to our event/thread merge system located at: http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=page&template=eventforum

4. For the link to the listings thread, right click and copy the link address from your old tournament thread in tournament listings

For the link to the calendar entry, go to the temporary thread you created with the new event, right click on your tournament title, and click "Copy Link Location".

You should have something similar to this:

If so, hit the magic button when you're done.

5. The first new thread that was created when making the new calendar entry will be deleted, and the calendar entry will instead be linked to your old thread. The OP and all information will be taken from the calendar (so if you copy and pasted your OP from the old thread to the calendar entry there will be no difference), but all the replies and views from your old thread will be saved and put into this new combo. It may take a few moments for the title to be synced correctly, but it will.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Getting TO Blue actually had nothing to do with hosting tournaments, that's why it's gone.

I'm pretty excited that the calender has a function now. Good stuff Bio.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Thanks Bionic.

Also now that I look at the thread I -love- how the first post is always visible, and just shortened with an option for expansion.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I miss Blue....

Plus once I got the blue status, I got a dozen or so PMs from people wanting my help/advice for future tournaments. Newer TOs and players now can only rely on going to tournaments themselves and hopefully have the courage to talk to the TO about running stuff.

As for this calendar thing... I don't like it replacing the region threads.

I don't know about the other region threads.... but the MW one was actually organized well. The tournaments were on the main region board (with Smashfests) and the social board had well everything else. While it was harder for newer players to find this at first, once they did find it they could easily find other tournaments that the same people go to.

Most people in Ohio don't really travel out of the Midwest. This change isn't going to help that. Why should they have to sift through 44 states worth of tournaments posted just to see when the next "Nope's Monthly" is or any other regional tournament. Plus there is roughly 3-5 tournaments in Ohio alone each month (not including "local" tournaments.... 10-16 people).

Maybe if the calender could be filtered by region? Or even State?

The same applies with the tournament thread too. Depending on the "activeness" of a tournament thread, my tournament I just announced (which only MW:E would go to due to location) could be bumped to page 2 in like a day. Then people wouldn't be able to find it right away.

EDIT: There also isn't a way to see a new tournament added by "user" or "state". With Ohio (and the MW:E). We literally have to announce a tournament 2-3 MONTHS in advance just to make sure we have the date secured because we have many active TOs. The last one I hosted had a 32 man cap and wasn't even a brawl only tournament. I made the thread on 8/8/2010, the tourne wasn't happening until 10/02/2010. Within a MONTH, the other weekends were surrounded by other events. Only Ohio players were going to go to this one and post about it. But if they can't know when I announce it.... then what's the point? It just seems that the Region Threads are just going to have threads pointing to the main one anyways.

EDIT2: Maybe be able to subscribe to users? People would get a PM/Notification whenever "Nope" or "TheKiest" added a tournament.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I apologize for not seeing the features of the Calender. I only had about 10 minutes of online time this morning. (and only 10 now... lolz). I'll check it out more in detail later.

I think the title is more important. I wasn't taken seriously about "serious" discussions UNTIL I got that title. Some of us don't place in the money or are on the SBR, but end up putting in a lot of time and effort into making the scene what it is. I'm know for being a TO, not a random player in Ohio who doesn't travel.

It also shows who is active in the community, not just the boards. BUT it shouldn't be as "elistist" as the Back Room.... "AKA a council has to agree or something." Maybe it could be something that is nominated by players?.

It's not our fault that they let anyone be in that group....

Teh Future

Smash Master
this is kinda pointless... Simply clicking "midwest" and searching for tournaments that way there was no trouble at all finding events. Having a calender feature sounds nice, but it really isn't necessary since 99.9% of all tournaments are on a saturday anyways

What's The Point

Smash Master
How exactly will stickies work now?

Before, for the most part, regions had their bigger tournaments stickied up. Now that all of the tournaments are in the same place, if this were to happen the first page would be entirely stickies. If you did just nationals, then when you go to your specific region (As everyone will do) you don't have stickies for the bigger tournaments.

And who will do stickies now if by region, since there are no longer regional mods for your tournament threads.

JDM

Smash Champion
Having the specific region tourney board appear on the Sub forum group like the "PacWest" Social board would be nice.

Going to a separate section of the site just to see your regions tournies is too much of a hassle.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It would be nice if you could still use the brawl/melee/both color tags. it would make sifting through tournaments a LOT easier.

Also, you should mention the regional filters in the first post, as that will bring back a tournament page most people will understand.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
How exactly will stickies work now?

Before, for the most part, regions had their bigger tournaments stickied up. Now that all of the tournaments are in the same place, if this were to happen the first page would be entirely stickies. If you did just nationals, then when you go to your specific region (As everyone will do) you don't have stickies for the bigger tournaments.

And who will do stickies now if by region, since there are no longer regional mods for your tournament threads.
We're currently looking into a solution for this.

Having the specific region tourney board appear on the Sub forum group like the "PacWest" Social board would be nice.

Going to a separate section of the site just to see your regions tournies is too much of a hassle.
Good idea. I'll talk to the administrators to see if we can do this.

It would be nice if you could still use the brawl/melee/both color tags. it would make sifting through tournaments a LOT easier.
When you choose the game when making/editing the event, it automatically adds the game to it next to the region, though this will not appear unless there is an event linked to the thread. Because we can't add extra prefixes, we have to make due with using regional prefixes as a primary way of searching.

:stupidfox:

TP

Smash Master
Does anyone else notice that Regional Zones no longer had any reason to be under the category "Smash Tournaments" since it no longer has anything to do with smash tournaments?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Where's my dislike button?

I don't see why you had to "fix" something that wasn't broken...
Yosh.
I liked the old system a lot better.

Does anyone else notice that Regional Zones no longer had any reason to be under the category "Smash Tournaments" since it no longer has anything to do with smash tournaments?
Maybe just rename the "Smash Tournaments" section to "Smash Gatherings" haha

Because we can't add extra prefixes, we have to make due with using regional prefixes as a primary way of searching.
You made it sound like the blue/red/green system of distinguishing between games was gone, which would've steamed my beans even further had I not checked and found out that it wasn't the case

I think it's hilarious that SSB64 + Brawl actually has its own color. As cool as SSB64 is (I was a very active member of the community until I got into Melee) I think the colors would've been better used distinguishing between regions ... using the same shade blue and red is confusing ... are pink, yellow, orange, etc. too many colors or something ... ?

Not to mention the 64 boards have their own competitive events forum and if you actually care enough to go to a tournament because it has SSB64 then you'll probably already know about it from talk over there. The number of people that care enough about SSB64 to go to a tournament to play 64 that don't frequent the 64 forums I imagine is very, very small.

Also I hate how when I want to browse my local tournaments I have to go to tournament listings, and when I want to browse my smashfests I have to navigate back to regional boards. Some tournaments are basically smashfests with some money attached to it anyways because they're so small

TLDR;
Go back to the old system please :mad:

AfroQT

Smash Master
Is this where i post my opinion on the update?
If so:
I hate this update, im confused as to what was not efficient about my regions social board and my regions tournament board being right next to each other.

Who exactly was this supposed to be benefiting?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
As for our tournament system, currently tournaments are posted in both Regional Zones and Tournament Listings, but plenty of questions arise... Which forum should I post my tournament in? I can't search by date... There is no easy way for me to see all upcoming events to make sure the one I schedule doesn't conflict with others! Well, we have an answer to all of that.
Your answer is wrong. The old TL was only successful in advertising nationals to OoR players. The RZ were better at everything else. Instead of forcing everyone out of their regional boards and into TL, it should be the other way around. Bring nationals to them.

- Delete tournament listings
- Make Regional Zones subforums of an empty TL forum
- Make national tournaments TL-wide stickies (so every RZ sees them)
- Keep the "calendar" but make it Fri-Sun, so all events are easily viewable

Now there are no problems, I defy anyone to tell me how this wouldn't be a massive improvement over the current system.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
I think the title is more important. I wasn't taken seriously about "serious" discussions UNTIL I got that title. Some of us don't place in the money or are on the SBR, but end up putting in a lot of time and effort into making the scene what it is. I'm know for being a TO, not a random player in Ohio who doesn't travel.
We realize there is some merit to being recognized as a solid tournament organizer. That said the old group was hugely outdated, people that were not active or had straight up ripped people off, still in the group. It needed a better system and accountability, and as is it was largely a joke. We are talking some things over, including a certified tournament organizer group/process that should help recognize the TOs that do a great job put their time and effort to doing events for the community. So just keep on the look out.

Otherwise, people just complain about change cause well its change. This is a work in progress, continue to make suggestions and provide feedback and we will continue to look for ways to improve it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I wouldn't complain about the change if I didn't feel it was a step backward. :|

I just don't think super small tournaments belong in tournament listings. At least offer some way of connecting regional zones with the regional tag, I think that'd be a step up.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Your answer is wrong. The old TL was only successful in advertising nationals to OoR players. The RZ were better at everything else. Instead of forcing everyone out of their regional boards and into TL, it should be the other way around. Bring nationals to them.

- Delete tournament listings
- Make Regional Zones subforums of an empty TL forum
- Make national tournaments TL-wide stickies (so every RZ sees them)
- Keep the "calendar" but make it Fri-Sun, so all events are easily viewable

Now there are no problems, I defy anyone to tell me how this wouldn't be a massive improvement over the current system.
#1&2 seem like a bit much, but 3&4 sound like a good idea (although for #4: isn't Pound held Sat-Mon?)

Is there any specific policy for stickies right now? (5/6 are from the AtlNorth area)

Masky

Smash Master

Please do this.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Worst change ever. All you did was make a cluster**** of tourneys and killed the regional boards. I don't see any reasonable point. AS for the TD title, just purge it and start adding people. Or set a criteria where people have to recommend you for the title or something and you have to have run a tourney in the last 4 months or something.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
threadcromancy for good idea:
adding an "i will be attending" check box so attendance lists update automatically instead of TOs having to update them
and also an option for "i will be bringing __ non-SWF guests" for people who arent on swf but are coming

Top Bottom