• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Shield Canceling (PSC) New AT!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFQtAubet4

discovery by innocentroads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2n5ctsH1DI

Ripple and Bigman have pointed out that you can attack during any frame of shield drop and this technique is just attacking the very first frame of the Shield drop animation. So the name PSC doesn't actually make sense since we're just using the normal power shield mechanics but attacking on the very first frame possible. It's still really important though

Some important info:

This is what the input has to be:

Frame 1: Shield
Frame 2: Release shield and Jab

The reason for this is because at certain points of the nado you can attack the frame after power shielding. This is why the Yslide to A method is so good. Also since Nado only has 1 frame of shield lag it seems you can buffer an attack after PS which you normally can't do after PS.

• -crouch to force mk to lower his nado. Once he's over where you would be if you were standing PSC to jab
  • -the tornado's openings change depending on where you are in the tornado animation and how many times MK press B, 1 frame jabs should always work though
  • -if you only hit with the first hit of jab it seems to always make MK do drill rush which can setup for a better punish
  • -characters who can cancel their dashes early with shield can run straight into the nado and PSC an attack
  • this is really good against other slower hitting multi hit moves
  • It seems that against tornado you can buffer attacks out of PSC unlike other moves. This means the double tap is pretty much unnecessary if he hits your shield on the first frame of power shield. So just slide from Y to A REALLY quickly
  • -Ivysaur - I think you have to PS with the 3rd frame of your shield animation in order for you to be far away enough for neutral B to work
  • -ZSS wants to PS on the first frame if possible to make sure she's close enough for her jab connects with mk's hurtbox. Also her u-tilt comes out on frame 3 O.O
  • -Wolf's PSC down B should work no matter what since he's invincible on frame 1, his downB OOS shield should only work near the end of the tornado since his jump animation is like 5 frames
  • -Zelda - her U-smash comes out on frame 5 or 6 and already beats nado. So you shield it and wait for the nado to barely let off your shield and just U-smash OOS. Her dtilt comes out on frame 5 so it might work. Also if we can get smash attacks to work D-smash would be an amazing option
  • -Falco - utlt should work if he comes from above. Falco can grab MK out of nado with out shielding, pretend you're trying to PS it but press grab instead of shield.
  • Marth - his side B clashes and causes MK to drill rush and puts Marth into a millisecond of stun(the stun is actually faster then the first hit of his forward B animation). This means you could probably PSC sideB to FSmash the nado since the MK will still be pressing B

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Amazing find, love it. Doesn't really help me as an MK main tho.

Edit: I guess characters with good utils benefit the most.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Beautiful! Works for every attack and not just MKs tornado I assume,

Metagame be evolvin'

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
So vs. MKs Tornado, only Attacks that have a hitbox out on frame 2 will be able to benefit from it?

And whats the reason you have to tap A/B twice?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Oh wait-...

Anyways, it looks like an amazingly useful technique to keep a hold of. I wonder if any of Wario's moves come out fast enough to do it... On the flip side, Pit can do it I'm sure ... That's who I really need it for.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Wicked find--this REALLY helps Bowser.

Nice choice of music, too. Josh Powell's awesome!

Tesh

Smash Hero
How effective is this against those tornadoes spaced to just hit you in the face?

I guess its still pretty interesting for characters that can duck under tornado until MK has to lower himself to hit them. THEN he might be in range for this stuff.

D

Deleted member

Wolf Jumpshine OoPSC? Sweet.

The video says it's easier to do if you set your Y button to shield, but I use that to jump and I really don't want to change my controls. Has anyone been able to do this consistently with just L or R to shield?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Does the first A input cancel it and the 2nd bring out the attack? Or is it a double tap just to be safe?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'd really like to know frame advantage it gives you over regular PS

Life

Smash Hero
Wolf Jumpshine OoPSC? Sweet.

The video says it's easier to do if you set your Y button to shield, but I use that to jump and I really don't want to change my controls. Has anyone been able to do this consistently with just L or R to shield?
X button mebbe?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I don't wanna change my controls for this cause I'm using the standard control scheme with GC but I gonna try this anyway. Also what about wiimote-nunchuck and classic controller users for this?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
It seems that this only works against grounded tornado which basically means you're never going to be using this on top level MKs.

Savon

Smash Ace
So does that mean that it is always a bad idea to attack a persons shield now that they can do this?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It seems that this only works against grounded tornado which basically means you're never going to be using this on top level MKs.
And the reason why you won't be using this on "top level MKs" is because they wouldn't be relying on an attack that can be countered.

So does that mean that it is always a bad idea to attack a persons shield now that they can do this?
For Samus, no. Z-air = safe.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
No. It just means that you can't get to predictable with your attacks.This is also great for tilt spamming MKs

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
crouch, force him to lower it, PSC it. I was doing that with ZSS at the end

BTW guys, the OOS stuff I was doing was not PSC'd. It was just out of shield stuff

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Not my precious Y button :'( grr... Y is my jump, X is my grab... I wonder how using Z could play out

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Not my precious Y button :'( grr... Y is my jump, X is my grab... I wonder how using Z could play out
I was thinking switching the Z and R functions as well. Wouldn't that be quicker than moving your finger, particularly if you play with your right pointer finger on the Z-button, and right middle finger on the R-button?

D

Deleted member

I was thinking switching the Z and R functions as well. Wouldn't that be quicker than moving your finger, particularly if you play with your right pointer finger on the Z-button, and right middle finger on the R-button?
What's the difference between just hitting R and A?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Er, this isn't new or an AT it's just basic game mechanics. After a powershield you can bypass shield-drop time if you attack, grab, or jump iirc. Powershielding offers no advantage if you try to run/walk after it. The annoying thing here is that you cannot buffer an attack during shield stun, so yeah to get an attack out as fast as possible you should mash or develop a specific method like the one you outlined at the end of the vid.

On the other hand the application (consistently hitting MK's nado when no hitboxes are out) is seemingly really cool, and is something I'll personally try and wrap my mind around when I recover from a nap/dream where I was duke nukem in a school full of anime girls. What the ****.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
MK, Falco, Peach, and Snake all just got better.
What, not mention of Ike punishing more stuff with Jab now?

@Auspher: Unless you remove the springs out of the R-button, Z-button should be slightly faster. Less distance and resistance to push the button to the point it registers.

D

Deleted member

Zap Jumping with Lucas requires really tight timing like this, and I have my L button set to special. Hitting L and Y at the same time works just fine for that, so it should for this as well.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Like Ripple asked, what is the frame advantage over normal Powrershielding?
7 frames is added if you shield drop, it turns your 1 frame squirtle jab punish into 8 frames, which is too many frames to punish tornado

Top Bottom