• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baiting

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
I've having a ton of trouble with a friend of mine who plays marth. He never approaches, just dd and wd around until I try to approach, so I decided baiting would be the best solution. What are some ways to bait marth into a grab, etc?

0Room

Smash Lord
DD yourself
Be patient.

If you always attack, he'll always know that you're going to attack.
It's really hard for new players to be really patient, but I mean if he's not going to attack, that's fine. Just DD until he does.

Alternatively, watch his character very closely and while DDing, go for a grab or a uair at low altitude [right before you hit the ground]. The L cancel is like 7 frames I think, so you can usually get out if he doesn't expect it.
But don't spam that. That's the point, is to switch up your gameplay and do something new.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
and when he does attack you don't shield/roll/spotdodge to avoid it. space yourself well and jump/dash away instead. especially against marth youll have the time to punish a lot of his moves by dodging it that way

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Yeah....I also have no idea how to bait. Maybe just get close to him, then get away real qucik and see if he approaches? IDK. I wish I played a campy Marth.

Once you get a stock though it's your turn to camp.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i have some ways to deal with a campy Marth as Falcon (I play against Flaco's Marth a lot or used to, he's got an awkward/campy marth) but I'm AWFUL at write ups

DD and camp him back.

as far as approaching goes it depends on how the marth player reacts...

If when you approach he grabs, hop over him and dair his head.

If he fairs, you can try and come in low and sneak an U-air between the fairs, or even nair. (they're Falcons fastest areials)

mostly what I'm trying to get across is that you're falcon, you're faster than marth, it's what you do, baiting is primarily trying to get a handle on what he likes to do and then punishing him for being predictable. once you get through the camping, grab = combo= knee = death lol

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think Hax once said that Marth vs Falcon should always start with at least 30 seconds of running around not hitting each other

If they're never in the air you can start overshooting aerials to catch them in the dashdance
Or intentionally not fastfalling to screw up their dashdance rhythm

Have to maul them the second they jump though haha
Just be wary of autocancel Nairs / late aerials

Mokumo

Smash Ace
if you can get him to try to grab you have a free chance to grab.

if you can get him to fsmash you get free knee.

the best way to bait him into doing these things is basically to feign an approach. i dont know which hax video it is (maybe i'll find/post it later) but the commentary talks about how he makes his opponent try to think he's committing to a bair when he really isn't - its just a bait. as soon as you can predict ONE move that marth (or any other character really) is going to do, and you're properly spaced, falcon can get a hit/grab. and as we all know, after that one grab, its done. or at least it can be.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
found it. didn't take me as long as i thought it would

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

check out 0:45. even the commentary talks about it. hax shffls a bair, and then double jumps into a waveland away from fox. HUGE mindgame. fox takes the bait and goes for a nair where hax would have been if he had double jumped into a bair (instead of the waveland). he didn't quite get a grab/combo from there but it put him in a position where he was able to get a stock off almost right away

0Room

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. And Mokumo, please post the video, i would like to hear the commentary.
Also
if you want to post a video to give us a better idea of what you're talking about, I started a video critique thread.
So if you guys ever need any help with anything, feel free to post a video in there.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
stand still and throw out a couple of taunts.
that usually gets things moving.

rinse & repeat when necessary.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Common ways to bait grabs from Marth (which are all situational and you need to make the best of it) are:

Raptor Boost methods (learn the animation spacing for when Falcon pulls back during raptor boost is important):

1. If your being tech chased, you can sometimes raptor boost to avoid grabs (depending on spacing it may be better to raptor boost backwards as Marth's grab reaches far in front and you can sometimes get behind him this way. It's just an option instead of buffer rolling or some other evasion method. Just be aware that you can do it if the spacing is right.

2. Aerials L-canceled to raptor boost. Again depending on spacing you can raptor boost so that the animation makes you end up behind him. You have to judge if the spacing will get you out of Marth's grab range.

3. Basically anytime you think the raptor boost range will put you out of range of marth's grab when you do it. Just learn to adapt when the Marth realizes what your doing and starts baiting the raptor boost.

Other Methods:

1. Aerials specifically spaced to allow you to dash away or forward without much risk to yourself and see if he tries to grab.

2. Aerials that you get shield stun with to dashes behind or away to see if he tries to shield grab.

3. Wavelanding so that you appear your going to land close but you waveland to bait the grab.

4. Jumping then double jumping right before you would of landed in front of him baiting a grab.

I think that's a lot of the most common concepts of baiting grabs with Falcon. I know people will probably lol at the raptor boost section, but honestly just make yourself aware that you can do it in those situations. Just don't spam it like an idiot and become predictable.

0Room

Smash Lord
Mokumo is the homie
0room's signature is awesome
That quote makes me want to main Falcon <3
Lol Irish Mafia I told you I still had it
Reeper do it
No bad can come from it

Except maybe W/L ratio
But that's not as important as tech chasing spacies!

Also Arc Natural, I agree with you. I don't think any option should be excluded, every option has it's uses, just some are less useful than others.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Mokumo is the homie
0room's signature is awesome
relax james ;)

is your avatar supposed to look like matt.zeb or is that just a coincidence?

anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLjNuvze0c

check out around 1:40. isai starts dding like crazy and pretty much waits for azen to approach. he baits the grab and then ***** him. just a little after he spaces a dtilt perfectly out of range of a shield grab and then get an easy stock.

the whole match is awesome anyway

Top Bottom