• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament rules for edge camping (Serious discussion)

Eggm

Smash Hero
i don't even know what we're talking about anymore.

You guys are going on about ledge stalling and planking and M2k doesn't even ledge stall in those matches. He just plays near the ledge and goes for gimps like how he has been doing for 5 ****ing years.

wtf is this thread about?
Its not what happened in these matches its about the trend that m2k is setting thats happening in these matches which is to play gayer and gayer and any reasonably smart player can see how this can turn into if played gay enough in this direction a completely broken tactic. I'm simply proposing we decide if once it gets to that point we discuss ways to deal with it using the rule set.

I don't want to ban excessive up-B stall anymore.

I'm too easily convinced.

:C
Do it and practice it well until its banned cause it gives you a big advantage theres no reason not to (as long as you are ahead in the match)

Apparently people want to ban playing 'gay.'
No just nerfing broken (not gay) tactics using the rule set if we need to in the future. Which is why we don't play on stages with permanent walls cause fox's waveshine infinite was deemed broken as oppose to gay. The reason why we banned items because the randomness nature of the items was considered a broken advantage (not gay).

First marth was gay, we dealed with it...then sheik was gay, we also dealed with it. And then spacies were gay...we dealed with it. Then jigglypuff was gay....we dealed with it... see where Im going with this?
Terrible argument as those are all characters and this is arguing over a broken game mechanic aka the end of the stage giving you the advantage when it should be a disadvantage.

Zodiac

Smash Master
If it were mango, lucky, dr.pp they wouldnt take that ****, they would bait him back onto the stage and punish him for it. yea it would be hard but i would hate to see the melee community start going.. "No more short hop lasers for you falco, you could just stand in one place and keep shooting them" I know that would never happen but this community has always ALWAYS come up with an answer for every single seemingly broken mechanic and or tactic that another player has come up with. Why dont we give people some time before we start changing rules or setting limits. Just watch, someone somewhere will look at that sheik and say "No *****".

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Its not what happened in these matches its about the trend that m2k is setting thats happening in these matches which is to play gayer and gayer and any reasonably smart player can see how this can turn into if played gay enough in this direction a completely broken tactic. I'm simply proposing we decide if once it gets to that point we discuss ways to deal with it using the rule set.
Well hasn't m2k been playing this way for years? why is it cause for worry now?
If he's setting a trend, he's been doing it for atleast 5 years now and it still isnt popular.

We'll deal with it if it becomes and issue. But as of right now, i just see good old m2k.

Eggm

Smash Hero
If it were mango, lucky, dr.pp they wouldnt take that ****, they would bait him back onto the stage and punish him for it. yea it would be hard but i would hate to see the melee community start going.. "No more short hop lasers for you falco, you could just stand in one place and keep shooting them" I know that would never happen but this community has always ALWAYS come up with an answer for every single seemingly broken mechanic and or tactic that another player has come up with. Why dont we give people some time before we start changing rules or setting limits. Just watch, someone somewhere will look at that sheik and say "No *****".

edit: wobbling was a special case, sheik on the edge doesn't make anyone zero to death.
Theres a fundamental difference lol none of the other tactics we've defeated made you completely invulnerability for a period of time while abusing the gay stuff we overcame.

Well hasn't m2k been playing this way for years? why is it cause for worry now?
If he's setting a trend, he's been doing it for atleast 5 years now and it still isnt popular.

We'll deal with it if it becomes and issue. But as of right now, i just see good old m2k.
Agreed, but discussing what to do before it gets to that point will let us implement it faster if it does get to that point and thus saving the community face (which we really need cause its not that large anymore) Cause lets say it gets to that point and it takes a month to agree how to fix it. During that whole month many people will get discouraged thinking its never going to change and quit or viewers of videos aka fans will quit and spread the word that the game is dumb and broken. If we fix it as fast as possible it will do less damage..

Oh, okay. You sure proved me wrong.

/serious
Ok good.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Also, couldn't we just take the stupid timer off? That way we wouldn't have to think/deal about stupid timeouts etc? That would eliminate all this crap.
That would be a bad idea because then matches would never end or in a timely fashion to where the tournament wouldn't finish. The only thing I can think of is change the ruleset to punish excessive camping.

Just throwing out an idea here but one rule could be that you can't win a match via a time out. You have 8 mins to KO the other person to win and if that doesn't happen in the 8 mins, you BOTH lose that match because you both are still standing regardless if you are a stock ahead or if only a few %.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Theres a fundamental difference lol none of the other tactics we've defeated made you completely invulnerability for a period of time while abusing the gay stuff we overcame.
the whole point of doing this gay ledge stalling stuff is to get someone over to the edge, this is when one jumps back on and proceeds to start a **** train. When they get back on they are no longer invincible, Predict when they will strike and counter them.

Eggm

Smash Hero
What if the player doing the gay ledge stuff has the advantage and refuses to get off and is consistent enough to do it until the timer ends (thats kinda the scenario we are discussing the vids were just to show that people are willing to play more and more gay lately to keep up so its just a matter of time before this happens). Anyway in the scenario i just described what is the player on the stage suppose to do? I'd like to know.

Am i suppose to go over and accept that i have to do something to them with only like a 25% chance of success vses their 75%?

Oh yeah just imagine that amash jman set if amash never got off when he was ahead and kept ledge stalling to the time limit what would have happened?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
So M2K sat near the edge of the stage to make it easier to get gimps? I wouldn't call that a novel idea.

Fox does have tools to deal with people on undesirable parts of the stage, namely a gun with infinite bullets.

kupo15

Smash Hero
What if the player doing the gay ledge stuff has the advantage and refuses to get off and is consistent enough to do it until the timer ends (thats kinda the scenario we are discussing the vids were just to show that people are willing to play more and more gay lately to keep up so its just a matter of time before this happens). Anyway in the scenario i just described what is the player on the stage suppose to do? I'd like to know.
Why don't we create a rule that punishes this such as winning through a timeout is not a legitimate way to win? Its not eliminating this tactic but you aren't winning by doing it either

Zodiac

Smash Master

Answer: Most brawl players aren't even that gay. also, you CAN grab the ledge while sheik isn't on it forcing her to recover.

Why don't we create a rule that punishes this such as winning through a timeout is not a legitimate way to win?
Not that I even come close to agreeing with this but if you HAD to make a rule it would be that you cant win via timing out with a ledge stall. But even then, people would just stall till the last ten seconds. So if you had to make this rule it would be. 3 minutes left on the timer means you can no longer ledge stall excessively if you had been doing it previously as a means to win the match through time out.

Violence

Smash Lord
I don't understand.

When was the last time M2K won a tournament?

Are you saying that M2K is so bad that even after using the amazingly broken technique of standing near the edge, he cannot beat the likes of Armada, HBox(sometimes), and Dr. PeePee?

Is it because they're THAT MUCH better than he is?

Someone else posted M2K losing to Zhu, and you're saying it's unfair to ask people to play better than someone when they're using that ridiculously broken strategy? You're implying that Zhu is that much better than M2K?

Man, I guess it must be true. M2K's a total scrub without this amazing broken technique of not approaching.

And sooner or later, scrubs are going to realize that this mindblowing innovation of not approaching is amazing and refine it until it saturates the metagame with its gayness and people will start matches by camping and not approaching...

Or you're just wrong, the strategy isn't broken, and M2K isn't that much worse(if at all) than the people who beat him.

Pi

Smash Hero

Am i suppose to go over and accept that i have to do something to them with only like a 25% chance of success vses their 75%?

Oh yeah just imagine that amash jman set if amash never got off when he was ahead and kept ledge stalling to the time limit what would have happened?
He would have beaten him because Jman does not know how to counter it.

This does not mean that it does not have a counter.

Jman just doesn't/didn't know it.

Both Amsah & KK both profess that the shino-stall is not 'broken' and has a glaringly obvious counter to it. The people Amsah fights have found this and made it's usage null.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Not that I even come close to agreeing with this but if you HAD to make a rule it would be that you cant win via timing out with a ledge stall. But even then, people would just stall till the last ten seconds. So if you had to make this rule it would be. 3 minutes left on the timer means you can no longer ledge stall excessively if you had been doing it previously as a means to win the match through time out.
Aren't you basically saying the same thing as me? Who cares when you are ledge stalling we both said that you can't win via timeout by means of ledge stalling. The only real difference between our rules is that mine doesn't take into account a stallLESS match that times out whereas yours does. But if no one is trying to stall and play campy when is this ever going to be an issue? I think that implementing a rule that says that "you lose if you are stalling when the timer runs out" is much too specific and arbitrary for the follow up reasons you provided.

The way I see it, if you set up a rule that says that you must KO your opponent within the time limit or else you lose, then that means both players are forced to fight if they want to win. Isn't this what we want? Players fighting to win instead of players running away to win?

Can you name some down sides in implementing this rule that I didn't think of?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Kupo, your idea doesn't take into account the possibly of stalling when your losing

If im down 2 stocks but i know neither person will win when the timer runs out, then i could just stall to stop myself from losing and replay the match.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman

That would be a bad idea because then matches would never end or in a timely fashion to where the tournament wouldn't finish. The only thing I can think of is change the ruleset to punish excessive camping.

Just throwing out an idea here but one rule could be that you can't win a match via a time out. You have 8 mins to KO the other person to win and if that doesn't happen in the 8 mins, you BOTH lose that match because you both are still standing regardless if you are a stock ahead or if only a few %.
What happens then in an elimination bracket where the final match of the set ends up timing out? Do they both lose? If so, you mess up the bracket by having someone getting a random bye in the winners bracket, that they haven't earned in any way. And in double eliminations, you could end up with an extra person in losers, and you've just made the whole set up unnecessarily complicated.

If they replay the last match, the solution isn't any better than no time limit, it can still go on infinitely.

So what happens in a double loss scenario in tournament?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I did think of that scenario but when I said that neither person wins, I didn't mean that it will be a draw. I meant that both players "lose." Whether it would be that match or the set I haven't thought that far ahead but it would be a severe punishment for both players to time out a match. The only thing I could think of that would be extremely unfair with my rule would be if one player does it purposely to prevent another player from advancing despite that player losing themselves. But then again it could fall under some sort of match fixing rule.

I have to go to class and won't be back till late but I would love to hear thoughts on how such a rule would benefit the game as well as out right destroy the game.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Sheiks camping or stalling at the edge is good, but not anywhere near broken or ban worthy. So rather than drowning yourself in self pity crying over how unfair things are for your Fox, how about you improve and find ways around it? Because there are ways you can force a Sheik back on stage or kill her for staying there, but it seems like you stopped looking and simply gave up.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
tl;dr : eggm is pissed that m2k's sheik is ****

seriously, he barely used the ledge stall against you. and at one point (i think match 2 winner finals, could be wrong) he used it, you got the ledge, and then you punished him for it

the infinite stall isn't even sort of close enough to being broken to warrant a rule change. there are plenty of ways to counter it. after watchign those matches again, it seems like m2k was playing more agressively than eggm

Zodiac

Smash Master
Sheiks camping or stalling at the edge is good, but not anywhere near broken or ban worthy. So rather than drowning yourself in self pity crying over how unfair things are for your Fox, how about you improve and find ways around it? Because there are ways you can force a Sheik back on stage or kill her for staying there, but it seems like you stopped looking and simply gave up.
Annnnnnnnnnd thread.

Lol joe, good ****.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'm not drowning in self pity, nor as i said 10x in this thread do I even think anything should be done right now. I've thought of ways to get in while shiek is ledge camping but they all involve me taking a higher risk than the shiek is taking by stalling which means sheik has the advantage if i choose to do that which is dumb cause the edge of the stage should give you a disadvantage in a fighting game not an advantage. Also no sheik worth their salt just stalls without threating with other super safe options from the ledge mixed in with the stalling that makes it even worse to try and do something to sheik stalling on the ledge. Sheik probably does it the best but this isn't a discussion about just sheik doing it but just that the mechanic existing in the game is inherently broken. You of all people should be able to understand what i'm saying and help us figure out a solution in the case that it does get the point where we need to address it which is the whole point of this thread. Instead of just saying i'm salty over my loss and want a change right now when thats clearly not what I want. did you actually read the thread?

This is really what I want to see come from this thread. In the event that some one abuses this so much at pound 4 or another tournament in the future that the crowd ends up booing and everyone who watches the vids gets turned off by melee I want to see a fix discussed so that it can be fixed asap to help the community out. As of now and unless that happens I see no reason to change any current rules so I don't know why you had to make it personal with me and tell me how I was thinking and how angry i was over my loss with m2k. That was not the case at all. Your post was really ignorant imo.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion

I have never seen a match end because of time unless the person was stalling.

Have you?

That rule would make lowe tiers Aloooooot more aggressive...which is bad...

Zodiac

Smash Master
the whole point of the tactic is for you to take the higher risk, this game is full of risk vs reward situations like this. this is just another chapter in melee's book.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
@Eggm: you did not address my argument (page 3 post 34) that, even with you realizing that stuff like sheik's upB is punishable, it does not matter that the camper gets the advantage. Because, it is only logical that if your opponent is ahead of you in percentage/stocks, you should be the one doing something about it. Certain strategies, like ledge stalling, will give your opponent an advantage, but that's why you're preventing your opponent to get ahead in the first place. Your opponent also gets an inherent advantage because your moves won't have as much effect as his moves if he has a lower percentage.

If you want a game where the losing player gets an advantage, you shouldn't have too much trouble looking around nintendo's games, but competitive melee is not one of them.

What you're saying is like, a chess player complaining that being behind one piece gives him a disadvantage because all his opponent has to do is trade the pieces until the advantage becomes noticeable and influencing enough to win the game.

Eggm

Smash Hero
the whole point of the tactic is for you to take the higher risk, this game is full of risk vs reward situations like this. this is just another chapter in melee's book.
The part i bolded your quote is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM, getting cornered and reduced to being on the very edge of the stage shouldn't give you an advantage in fighting games!!! That makes everything you did on stage positioning and fighting and baiting and reading and punishing all the less strategic and meaningful. If the edge of the stage were a bad thing people would fight strategically and it would be fun to watch how they avoid getting cornered instead of having just running once you have the lead as the absolute best strategy...which it is cause if you run and then run outta room just quickly grab the ledge and you got the advantage... if this broken mechanic didn't exist people couldn't do that and would be forced to play a normal strategy/positing fighting type game on stage.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I'm not drowning in self pity, nor as i said 10x in this thread do I even think anything should be done right now.
Though aimed at you, I wasn't specifically talking to you, but Fox players in general who believe this.

I've thought of ways to get in while shiek is ledge camping but they all involve me taking a higher risk than the shiek is taking by stalling which means sheik has the advantage
Like Fox when he runs away all match. (Doesn't even require an edge, the exact opposite)

if i choose to do that which is dumb cause the edge of the stage should give you a disadvantage in a fighting game not an advantage.
Did you read that in the "How a fighter should be" manual?

Sheik's stronger at the edge so what? Fox ***** her on stage.

Also no sheik worth their salt just stalls without threating with other super safe options from the ledge mixed in with the stalling that makes it even worse to try and do something to sheik stalling on the ledge. Sheik probably does it the best but this isn't a discussion about just sheik doing it but just that the mechanic existing in the game is inherently broken.
Says you. I have yet to see any proof of that.

You of all people should be able to understand what i'm saying and help us figure out a solution in the case that it does get the point where we need to address it which is the whole point of this thread.
If you're referring to my match with Jman, he could've easily forced me back on stage, but I'm not about to dig my own grave.

Instead of just saying i'm salty over my loss and want a change right now when thats clearly not what I want. did you actually read the thread?
I skimmed through it and watched the first link you posted but saw nothing wrong.

Eggm

Smash Hero
@Eggm: you did not address my argument (page 3 post 34) that, even with you realizing that stuff like sheik's upB is punishable, it does not matter that the camper gets the advantage. Because, it is only logical that if your opponent is ahead of you in percentage/stocks, you should be the one doing something about it. Certain strategies, like ledge stalling, will give your opponent an advantage, but that's why you're preventing your opponent to get ahead in the first place. Your opponent also gets an inherent advantage because your moves won't have as much effect as his moves if he has a lower percentage.

If you want a game where the losing player gets an advantage, you shouldn't have too much trouble looking around nintendo's games, but competitive melee is not one of them.

What you're saying is like, a chess player complaining that being behind one piece gives him a disadvantage because all his opponent has to do is trade the pieces until the advantage becomes noticeable and influencing enough to win the game.
If you want to use the chess analogy then what if chess had a design flaw that once the first person took the others first piece that the person had a 90% chance of winning, the game would be boring past the first piece being taken and everyone would stop playing it. If you abuse this strategy so much that it becomes like that which is totally possible as you have about a 90% advantage while stalling on the ledge with sheik as long as you are intelligent about how you do it then it comes down to whoever gets the first hit first wins, which is really boring for players and fans and then they would quit and the game would die out.

Though aimed at you, I wasn't specifically talking to you, but Fox players in general who believe this.

Like Fox when he runs away all match. (Doesn't even require an edge, the exact opposite)

Did you read that in the "How a fighter should be" manual?

Sheik's stronger at the edge so what? Fox ***** her on stage.

Says you. I have yet to see any proof of that.

If you're referring to my match with Jman, he could've easily forced me back on stage, but I'm not about to dig my own grave.

I skimmed through it and watched the first link you posted but saw nothing wrong.
All those things you said are CHARACTER balance changes that aren't possible to fix via the rule set short of banning the character outright so its not comparable. Banning the character outright isn't a viable option either because then the game would become equally as boring and the community would also die out. Those matches weren't suppose to display this tactic being used in a ban worthy way. You were just supposed to see how m2k does that a lot and is moving more towards using that as much as he needs to win and how some one could easily mimic this now or m2k could do it himself more abusively. There is no manual for how a fighting game should be but anyone who is interested in competing as fairly as possible in this particular fighting game should see how that game mechanic shouldn't exist. And if since it does exist we should be looking for a way to ban it via the rule set in the case it does become as bad as i'm theorizing.

Imagine if for backing into the corner in street fighter gave you invc frames and a 90% advantage somehow. The whole game would be about not letting the opponent into the corner so people wouldn't be willing to move forward cause then the screen would move towards letting the opponent get closer to the corner. People would just stand full screen throwing fireballs (or dodging them if they have none) the entire game until the time limit. I know they aren't the same game, but they are both competitive fighting games.

Or imagine a fox player who can consistently stall and abuse ledge invc on the ledge which gives him a 75% chance of sucess in the mixup game when some one comes near him on the ledge consistently and he gets one laser off on the opponent and does this for 7 minutes. He wins. That would be SO BORING. In fact i'm going to try and do this at pound 4 now just to prove how broken this tactic could become since no one seems to think this could become an issue in the future.

Zodiac

Smash Master
done yet? There are plenty of dumb things in this game that requires one player to take a greater risk then other player. in fact that is what most of a match is based off of! I want fox to approach me as marth on fd so I can chain grab him to death. fox doesn't want to approach me, but if he does and avoids the grab marth becomes his sandbag.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Like Amsah said, Fox running away gives him an advantage just as Sheik's ledge camping helps her.

Sheik's position of choice is not game-breaking because it goes against "fundamental rules" of fighting games. Her advantageous position happens to be a horrible (especially compared to Fox's), risky place to be, almost countering the advantages she gains.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
If you want to use the chess analogy then what if chess had a design flaw that once the first person took the others first piece that the person had a 90% chance of winning, the game would be boring past the first piece being taken and everyone would stop playing it. If you abuse this strategy so much that it becomes like that which is totally possible as you have about a 90% advantage while stalling on the ledge with sheik as long as you are intelligent about how you do it then it comes down to whoever gets the first hit first wins, which is really boring for players and fans and then they would quit and the game would die out.

You must not play much chess. If someone is a piece up, they're absolutely going to win the game. Not at the most amateur levels, of course, but if two players of reasonably equal skill are playing and one of them wins a piece, that player probably does have a 90% chance of winning. Unless, of course, the player who lost the piece sacrificed it deliberately and was right too. But in general, that's how chess already works.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
done yet? There are plenty of dumb things in this game that requires one player to take a greater risk then other player. in fact that is what most of a match is based off of! I want fox to approach me as marth on fd so I can chain grab him to death. fox doesn't want to approach me, but if he does and avoids the grab marth becomes his sandbag.
Exactly that's why we need a marth vs fox grab rule. Fox must let Marth grab him twice in the match at least.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm off base here

But generally it doesn't help your argument to post videos of you losing

And then claim that your opponent is doing things that are overpowered and demand a ban

LLDL

Smash Hero
Guys, don't get so caught up in him referring to the matches versus m2k, or sheik being able to abuse ledge grabbing. It probably isn't evident in those videos anyway, since M2K is **** anyway. He did do it a lot. Anyone that was at the tournament can attest to the fact that he did it unnecessarily, when he probably could have won all of his matches (besides Eggm stric or chops) by being aggressive and outplaying the other player on stage.

That isn't the point that he is trying to make though. What he means is that in general, the invincibility frames gained by ledge stalling give players who practice the timing, much more reward than players who choose to spend their time learning baits, shield pressure, faints, and aggressiveness on stage. Whether or not a character ***** the character (aka Fox vs sheik) who resorts to ledge stalling has no bearing. The principle of the matter is that a person who wants to make sure that they can win the match simply need to perfect taking advantage of their invincibility gained by grabbing the ledge.

A win in a fighting game is almost always given to the smarter player during the match, who has the least failure in executing what they want to do. Basically, Eggm wants to prevent a situation where two players may be near equal to each other in skill, but one simply chooses to seal the deal by ledge stalling. Yes, there are ways and frames where you can do something about it, but nobody is that frame perfect. They will have to take half the game to find that opening, execute their punish perfectly, and even then it's not even a guaranteed kill. It's a risk-reward system that is roughly 90% risk for the approaching player and 10% reward.

What Eggm is suggesting is not that we have ledge grab rules just because sheik or whatever is broken in that aspect. He feels as if we should HAVE to learn how to space, bait, pressure and get kills based on our knowledge of how to fight other characters on stage, not just retreating to a safe spot. That's what makes smash, smash imo. Truly beating your opponent based on your spacing and punishment on stage. Invincible ledge stalling can be potentially done well with other characters as well. A frame perfect firefox stall to waveland + nair or shine can be successfully executed while still retaining invincibility frames. Is this practical? No. Can a person practice it to the extent that they can fall back after gaining a lead in tournament, and stall the match without being punished? Yes.

Personally, I don't see the need for ledge grab rules currently because, as said before, nobody practices these techniques religiously to the point of it becoming a major problem. But, don't you think that if trained well enough, the fact that a person COULD do that without any risk from the approaching player, is broken? When something like this does happen, though better the approaching player may be, he/she won't know how to approach because nobody stalls that much to give them experience in that situation.

It's not about character matchups, but a general mechanic that may or may not need to be addressed before it potentially becomes a problem. When some one realizes their weakness as a player in a match, they should have to improvise. Character changes are also ways to hide those weaknesses. Ledge stalling shouldn't be, but could become one.

All's fair in war I suppose. Just my two cents.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The part i bolded your quote is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM, getting cornered and reduced to being on the very edge of the stage shouldn't give you an advantage in fighting games!!! That makes everything you did on stage positioning and fighting and baiting and reading and punishing all the less strategic and meaningful. If the edge of the stage were a bad thing people would fight strategically and it would be fun to watch how they avoid getting cornered instead of having just running once you have the lead as the absolute best strategy...which it is cause if you run and then run outta room just quickly grab the ledge and you got the advantage... if this broken mechanic didn't exist people couldn't do that and would be forced to play a normal strategy/positing fighting type game on stage.
I'd like to adress this post

Lets say that we accept that there is inherent value in a video game where it is enjoyable to watch/play positional advantages being gained/loss because of fighting and baiting and reading and punishing.
You are asserting that strategies around grabbing the ledge make these things "less strategic and meaningful"

I would like to propose a novel idea that you may not have thought of:
If the metagame evolved to be revolved around ledge invincibility, even if we conceed (for arguments sake) that this takes away from the current emphasis of on-stage footsies, it also opens up a whole new realm of offstage footsies.

Essentially what you are proposing is that on stage positioning and baiting and trapping are inherently good, and anything that takes away from this concept is inherently bad. What I am proposing is that you are not even considering the possibility that a new equally as creative metagame will evolve from it. A game based around ledge abusing may not have facets of on stage footsies that we are currently used to, but it WILL have facets like footsies in gaining a lead, counter measures to prevent ledge abusing, counter-counter measures to those things, and so on.

Without getting completely lost in meta-meta-metagame analysis, I'm just pointing out that you are ascribing negative features (the ledge shouldnt be an advantage, it should be a disadvantage) to an aspect of this game that isnt inherently negative. You are seemingly seeing a ledge-based style of play as a degradation of our current style, while I am supplying the idea that it may equally as good, better, or worse alteration that we havent explored yet.

tl:dr: Inception.

Top Bottom