• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TV's

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok, so LCD's Lag. Who cares, right?

But then I realize that we can't buy CRT's anymore, wtf...

I was considering having some sort of community drive to split and buy CRT tv's but.. can't buy them.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or what are your oponions about alternatives or possible solutions? Are we screwed as a community because of LCD tv's? Why?

I don't know much of tv's myself so I sadly cannot bring much content to think about, I am sorry for that.

For example, why does Smash bros lag on LCD's anyway?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
for me at any given time I can go on craig's list and look at the free stuff and I can find 4 - 10 CRT's within a half hour drive for free that someone is trying to get rid of. I live in minneapolis, but im sure philly has its share.

i just think this is a good thing to know. (even if you can't drive and go get them like me)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Most salvation armies or similar type stores sell them for typically $10-$20. I've bought 2 so far - also get a universal remote though because a lot of TV's don't have their remotes anymore.

This is actually the best time to buy CRT's like...ever. You can get them for mad cheap.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Really? Awesome, I'll check some out! Deff need to buy some gold mines.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I've already bought like 4 from thrift stores, 15-25 each

just bring ur wii/cube into the store so you can test em out while there

If you have to play on LCDs, use component/VGA cables. They cut out a lot of lag, but there's still lag. Still good enough for friendlies

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think you mean "play on LCDs" not CRTs. But otherwise, yes. Also I've played Brawl on quite a few LCD's that I've almost been unable to tell any lag. Within a year or two the problem should be solved completely (crosses fingers). Melee might be a different story though :/

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
TVs that feel fine with Brawl can feel terrible with Melee. I've got one of them... Using Component cables.

It's why I have a CRT right next to my LCD. :alakadoof:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ah ok, I will deff keep this in mind. :3

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think you mean "play on LCDs" not CRTs. But otherwise, yes. Also I've played Brawl on quite a few LCD's that I've almost been unable to tell any lag. Within a year or two the problem should be solved completely (crosses fingers). Melee might be a different story though :/
There's no difference between Melee and Brawl
Except that newer GameCubes you can't use component cables on, however older GameCubes you can or you can just use a Wii
And many many many Cube games support 480p, Melee included

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
This is actually quite helpful because I am looking for 32" or larger CRTs. I have tons of small ones but I want to get some bigger ones.

You can buy them on Amazon or other online retailers but the price is kind of expensive. Yard sales are truly the best place to get them, but those won't start back up until summer. I don't think I can afford to wait.

Another good place to check is govdeals, it is an auction site. You can buy cheap equipment from schools and other government organizations.

I was wondering what are the best LCD tvs to use if you had to get them. I heard Acer monitors were really good and had very little lag.

Eggm

Smash Hero
LCD's have some lags regardless of what cables you are using when you play melee. That being said people throw out CRT's around my house all the time and i pick them up. Or you see them for very cheap on craigslist or garage sales commonly. I don't think you can go out and like buy a new CRT tho lol.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Salvation Army.

Jungle and I went to get a small one and ended up getting two because they were only $10 for a 13 inch (though there are bigger screen ones too).

Gotta stock up.

LLDL

Smash Hero
If you have to play on LCDs, use component/VGA cables. They cut out a lot of lag, but there's still lag. Still good enough for friendlies
They're really all unacceptable. Me and the majority of the community really get turned off by a tv that lags, even if only 1 - 3 frames

They're really all unacceptable. Me and the majority of the community really get turned off by a tv that lags, even if only 1 - 3 frames
Ok, fine, Falco, Fox, and Falcon don't count, if your LCD is a good LCD

Brawl is easier with lag than Melee is because Brawl has an input buffer

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There's no difference between Melee and Brawl
Except that newer GameCubes you can't use component cables on, however older GameCubes you can or you can just use a Wii
And many many many Cube games support 480p, Melee included
Oh, I didn't mean it as in an equipment issue. I simply meant that with Brawl I can't notice lag on some of the very new LCDs. However, with Melee, I probably (not sure, some of these new TVs are very good) would do for the stricter timing requirements.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I got given an LCD TV on the grounds that it was somehow "better" than my old CRT one. The Mpeg fuss messed my eyes up something chronic and now my relatives refuse to talk to me about it.

So everything's attached to my CRT again now...

Bones0

Smash Legend
Random question: do CRT computer monitors work the same as CRT televisions? I think I have an old computer monitor, but I've never tried hooking up my cube to it to see if it has lag (not sure I would even be able to hook it up anyway, tbh).

Random question: do CRT computer monitors work the same as CRT televisions? I think I have an old computer monitor, but I've never tried hooking up my cube to it to see if it has lag (not sure I would even be able to hook it up anyway, tbh).
If you have a Wii you can use a Wii VGA cable

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Plasma displays consist of a discrete pixel array for their given resolution like LCDs and DLPs (a 1080p display will have 1920x1080 pixels on the entirety of its screen). By contrast, the Wii and Gamecube only output 640x480 video. HDTV input lag is almost entirely due to having to upscale the video feed that is being received from the source to match the display's native resolution.

While plasma displays are closer to CRT technology and don't have the motion blur associated with LCDs, they will almost assuredly still have input lag issues with scaling, since plasma displays with a native 480 resolution only had a brief production span in the early 2000's and are not in common use today.

Top Bottom