• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best/ most essential advanced technique

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Spacing isn't an advanced technique. That's just being an intelligent player.

If I had to pick one, it would be crouch canceling/jab canceling/whatever you want to call it, but specifically with Meta Knight's Forward-Tilt.

Mess is busted.

Life

Smash Hero
IDK if DI really counts as even most new players (AFAIK) do it by instinct (although generally not correctly/perfectly).

Then again, between SDI and momentum canceling, sure. SDI da bess.

Besides those, you get into character specific stuff--consider glide tossing if your matches involve Diddy, ZSS or Peach for example--DACUS if you're a Snake or Shiek--shield cancels if you're Sonic--QAC for Pika--CGs for relevant characters... I could go on.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
SDI
DI
Power Shielding
Using moves immediately when available by applying buffering.

Character Specific:
PKT tailwhip
PKT mindgame
PSImag pushes and wavebouncing
FH PKfire spacing and buffering moves before landing

Judo777

Smash Master
DI and SDI no question. Sitting down and getting good at it will almost instantly increase ur stock by about 50% not to mention its a tactic that is both offensive and defensive. Getting good at SDI can allow you to counter stuff that noramally wouldn't be counterable. Not to mention it negates moves that are fairly overpowered without. GW's turtle and pikas dsamsh are both MUCH better moves if you don't know how to SDI them.

At SiiS4 I SDIed argent stews ivysaur's bullet seed down for lightning kicks with Zelda about 5 times in our set lol.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Some characters it varies.

For the most part it's DI and SDI, and, for the characters that have one, momentum braking with things such as GaW's bucket, Sheik's Chain, DK's Headbutt, etc. These are absolute essentials.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely di.
Let's think about it.

Di allows you to escape followups and
survive >50% higher than you normally would

Without di, the heavies would be much worse than they are now.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
buffering > SDI > DI/momentum cancel

If you're powershielding something other than projectiles ur oppenent is doing something wrong.

Judo777

Smash Master
Some characters it varies.

For the most part it's DI and SDI, and, for the characters that have one, momentum braking with things such as GaW's bucket, Sheik's Chain, DK's Headbutt, etc. These are absolute essentials.
Sheik chain doesn't momentum brake. I wish it did lol

Bobwama

Smash Rookie
DI is NOT an advanced technique and neither is spacing. The most essential advanced technique is Power-shielding.

./Thread

And yet, both DI (all forms) and Spacing can go into a lot more depth and are much more essential to overall play than PSing. If PSing is an AT, they most certainly are.
And I would agree, any and all forms of DI are most important.

vicente/ike

Smash Rookie
i think edge hoggimg are usrful. But sometimes show lack of skills. Especially chaingrabbing excpt with ice climbers thats the hole reasn they are a challenge

Bobwama

Smash Rookie
i think edge hoggimg are usrful. But sometimes show lack of skills. Especially chaingrabbing excpt with ice climbers thats the hole reasn they are a challenge
Using something that's to your advantage is never showing a "lack of skill" unless it takes absolutely no skill to execute it. I mean, if I were to play a ridiculously good Fox as Pikachu, sure, I could chaingrab him to death and beyond, but only if I could get a grab on first. In a competitive atmosphere, anything is fair game unless it breaks the game. Go read Playing To Win on Sirlin.net.
Also, ICs are a challenge beyond CGing...that's a part of their competitive game, but that's certainly not the "whole" reason (and learn to spell...) they can be tricky.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Idk if DI, Powershielding or spacing is an AT. I think RAR is the most important AT, or just knowing you can turn while running in general. That and edge hugging are the most AT's (in my definition of ATs).

Judo777

Smash Master
Idk if DI, Powershielding or spacing is an AT. I think RAR is the most important AT, or just knowing you can turn while running in general. That and edge hugging are the most AT's (in my definition of ATs).
Idk what the definition would be (or if there eve is one) but I'm pretty sure its just an "advanced technique" that applys to every character.

technique is of course given and I would think DI would count as fairly advanced. The concepts behind doing it right aren't completely intuitive or common against people who haven't looked into it.

Idk again we are debatin semantics and by ur definition I might agree.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I'd say DI and powershielding are AT's, but spacing is not. That's kinda just common sense.

vicente/ike

Smash Rookie
I find that I stick to combos specifically with Ike. Edge bogging has it's cons such as when your going to edge hog that's a good what three seconds in air your mind is set on edgehogging just to get one kill if you make it that is so I stick edgeGAURDING instead of edgehogging but I find it has it's uses

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
I find that I stick to combos specifically with Ike. Edge bogging has it's cons such as when your going to edge hog that's a good what three seconds in air your mind is set on edgehogging just to get one kill if you make it that is so I stick edgeGAURDING instead of edgehogging but I find it has it's uses
Sorry, I don't quite get what you mean?

If you want to edgehog, all you have to do is run off the stage and then hold toward it as you're falling off, there doesn't even really need to be any air-time.

Sure, they're both situational, but you would almost never entirely rule out the possibility of an edgehog.

Also, your saying "just to get one kill" part bothers me... is there anything more rewarding in this game than getting a kill? That' s pretty much the focus of play haha, unless you're timing someone out, I guess. Which you probably won't do with Ike.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Vincente. Just read the Ike boards and learn from their character guide. You are talking about Edgehogging like you need to jump to do it. Thats shows that you arent really even aware of the basics of the game. Which is fine, but you arent going to learn anything from here like this. Go to your character boards; do your research. Watch San videos. Learn whats actually important for your character. People telling you random techs means nothing.

Denti

Smash Master
Characters with tether recoveries can completely cancel their momentum from a spike when they tether to the edge. This means you have to DI near the ledge to tether cancel. I did this to Poltergust in LF at a tournament as Olimar. Yes I did get hit purposefully to recover, it just shows how useful of an advanced of a technique it is. I would show the video but the TO hasn't uploaded that video yet.. But it's just as cool as it sounds. I did it at 140% from a fresh yoshi fair spike.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Actually, that's just meteor cancelling with your up-b. People like Link or Samus can't do that because they can't meteor cancel with their zair. Also, never try that against someone with a good meteor like Ness or Ganon.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
I think an AT is:
Something that (in most cases) needs to be learned, practiced, and perfected.

By that definition, many things can be AT's, but it makes sense.
Di, along with spacing, needs to be perfected, it's not something that some random person can pick up and just do....

Just my perspective

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Of course DI is an advanced technique.

Casual players don't know about it, meaning it is an advanced competitive technique. It's something you need to practice to get good at.

Things such as spacing and reads are accessible to even the casual player, they know what those things are, they just apply them poorly.

Top Bottom