• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-Stop Infinite Climax! Feat. AXE, TAI, and Texas' Best!

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Non-Stop Infinite Climax!
Saturday April 23, 2011
Super Smash Brothers: Melee
MBR Certified

Welch 3.502, located on UT Campus. The building is located at the intersection of Speedway and E 24th street.
Directions
Building Information

Schedule:
Saturday April 23, 2011
Doors Open/Registration Begins - 12:00 noon
Singles Registration Ends/Singles Begins - 1:00 PM
Doubles Registration Ends/Doubles Begins - 3:00 PM
Low Tier Registration Ends/Low Tier Begins - 5:00 PM
Pizza - 6:00 PM

Price
These fees are non-refundable
  • Venue Fee - $5
  • Singles - $10 per player
  • Doubles - $20 per team
Payout

31 or fewer entrants
  • 1st = 60%
  • 2nd = 30%
  • 3rd = 10%
32 - 63 entrants
  • 1st = 58%
  • 2nd = 28%
  • 3rd = 10%
  • 4th = 4%
64 or more entrants
  • 1st = 55%
  • 2nd = 25%
  • 3rd = 10%
  • 4th = 5%
  • 5th = 2.5%
  • 5th = 2.5%
Setups
We have about 8 setups. Please bring setups! If you bring a setup* your door fee will be waived. Please note that this does not apply to pizza, i.e. if you want pizza you must pay the $5 venue fee.
*A setup consists of a TV, copy of Melee, and a Gamecube or Wii with the necessary cables.

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • All sets are best of 3 matches*
  • Double Elimination**
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: Fountain of Dreams)
  • Use of the character Metaknight is banned.
    *Semi-Finals and Finals will be best of 5
    **This is subject to change based on the number of entrants

Set Format (in order of procedure)
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. After the first match, each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles

Starter Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Doubles

Starter Stage List
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Tournament Specific Rules
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • The Mage's DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At five minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After seven minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
  • If there is a dispute, it must be settled before the start of the next match.
  • MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
  • Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Below is a list of Austin smashers who can be contacted about housing.

Brown Link - (713) 560 - 1500

El Queso Grande - (520) 730 - 8070

JF - (512) 914 - 9745

Jos - (210) 420 - 3619

Kal - (512) 698 - 7056

MT - (713) 302 - 7592

Reqy - (210) 722 - 1340

Tirno - (832) 283 - 5117

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm working on the flier which will have a Bayonetta picture. I'm glad you got the reference. <3

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
**** yeah Poke Floats! I've never included it in a tourney but I've seen some intense legit matches there. Players that know that stage do some death defying and scary stuff.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
But it CAN be a good stage for Peach too mirite?
Besides, its not like Peach doesn't already have annoying CP stages...

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
It's not 100% confirmed yet, but he definitely wants to come.

The AZ prospects so far are NickNyte, Axe, Tag$ and Silly Kyle (maybe Taj).
Ideally they'll all come in one car and we can house them (though I think NickNyte is gonna fly).

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
No, it's not a good stage for her. It involves her moving and not in the kitchen.

I don't see why Floats is legal and Mute and Corneria aren't. Or Japes.

Kal

Smash Champion
DoH, what reasons do you have for banning Pokefloats? I'm willing to change the ruleset if a convincing argument is made in favor of a change. So far, such arguments have been provided for Jungle Japes, Green Greens and Mute City being banned. Not for Pokefloats or Corneria, so I've left them on the counterpick list.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
What's the reason for Mute being banned? If it's "too strong of a counterpick" for floaties, then that same standard should be applied to space animals as well. If it's that Mute has no edges, that also applies to Floats. They both move in set patterns, except Floats has walk off edges which make camping more important. Additionally floats has bull**** like super low ceilings, numerous sloped areas, and sometimes you just fall through Seel. Falco can kill half the cast off two hits if he lands a shine on most of the stage. It punishes characters like Peach and the Ice Climbers for their poor mobility, when we already have a less extreme version of that in Rainbow Cruise.

I'm all for liberal rulesets, just as long as the standards to which stages are legal are applied evenly across the board. Mute City is a really cool twist on FD, and if you played it a little you would realize that; it adds elements of strategy without making it gamebreaking. I don't see how a ban on Mute City is warranted without a ban on Pokefloats as well.

What are the arguments against Mute/Japes?

Also we all can agree that Green Greens is silly.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'd be really surprised if all the Houston guys don't show up to this, hell, if AZ comes (for which the odds are looking good), it'd just look really bad if Htown and Dallas don't, or anyone applicable from San Antonio.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Hey, add some more of the AZ guys to the original post. They're not guaranteed yet, but they are very interested.

Kal

Smash Champion
DoH, I've given it some thought, and while I have sufficient (ish) reasons for banning Jungle Japes and Green Greens, I only banned Mute City because of the rest of Austin wanted to. But **** them; I'm turning Mute City on until someone gives me a good reason to ban it.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Japes and GG both promote camping and have random elements that KO. Mute is predictable and not over powered in the way the blastzones are on GG and Japes.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Just from watching pro vids, I'm inclined to believe that even if some weird stage is legal, matches late in the tourney b/w highly skilled players are very unlikely to go to them...

Top Bottom