• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Senate Sponsored: SWF Suggestion Box (No smiley suggestions!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So we wanted to give all users a chance to share their thoughts, ideas, or positive suggestions they have to improve the site. And rather than do it suggestion box style where you just passively submit something and hope the right person reads it and does something about it. We thought we would make it senate sponsored with our goal to have all of the smashboard's senate spending some time in this topic. Listening to your suggestion and going through and addressing them.

As part of this we are kinda of expecting people to mature about their ideas or suggestions. If its something where you have an issue with something that has happened you should be using forum support. This is not the place for that. Likewise, if you have feedback but its something there is already a topic about (like our new tournament system ) it is best to at least try to use that topic first before brining up here.

Also, wanted to note we have a special project ongoing so somethings might not be able to be addressed just yet :).

Heres hoping we can get some great feedback and make things better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

well this is certainly a nice opportunity.

The one thing that has been on my mind for a while now has been the lack of different forum skins.
basically there is Revolution [black], smash blue [blue] and classic blue [blue] available to the common user.
technically there is the mobile skin too but I'm mainly talking about the desktop skins.
In short you can pick 2 colours: black or blue. with access to some of the groups you can get
access to various other colours, but even then there is not even a simple red skin to be found.
There is also the long standing issue of the revolution skin that it has a fixed width, which makes
it a less pleasant skin on larger monitors.
so in short I'm requesting that every user should have access to a larger (colour) variety of skins,
with at least the basic RGB colours represented (well we already have blue so that's one down I guess :) )

as for a different thing, how much would an increase of the avatar size be asking from the servers?
going from 100px -> 120px would be a 44% data increase and I have no clue how the SWF servers are
with bandwidth and whatnot

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I don't wanna make a huge paragraph about it so I'll make a straight to the point list instead lol.

-Avatars: allow users to use bigger avatars. Anyone that has been on this site for more than 4-5 years knows that SWF's history on avatars has been kind of strict. We've had 75x75 avatars for a bunch of years and it was until recently that they changed it to 100x100. Given the nature of this site, increasing the size of avatars would do nothing but good. I'm not talking 500x500, but something around 150x150 to 200x200 wouldn't hurt anyone, in fact, it would make people happier.

-Provide a bigger resolution modification of the default skin (Revolution). Right now I believe it's set to 800x600. Options like 1024x765 or even fullscreened would be nice for those with high resolution screens. (By the way, 2 of Revolution's header buttons have been gone for like almost a month).

-Give users the power to embed media (YT, vimeo, etc). I think this is a must, especially on a site based on a fighting videogame. Having a million youtube links listed on, for example, matchup threads, is awful (I used to manage a character board video archive thread and it was somewhat annoying lol). It's much comfortable to have videos embedded on the thread, not as an external link to another site. You want people to stay on the site, not get them away from it. I know there's a dilemma regarding this: rule breaking. But how is this any different from, say, posting images? People still have the report feature.

-Fix the Friend Finder

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Access to the [yt] tags would be nice, though I think that should be reserved for [possible elitism] Premium members [/possible elitism]

edit: and MAKE SURE they don't autoplay, dear god

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Do something about Forum Support. **** is near useless when you want to complain about something and whatever problem you have usually never gets resolved/answered

And for the love of God please don't give autoplay if you give members [yt] tags. Please don't lest it becomes and abomination

D

Deleted member

Densebi, please give some argumentation for your points because to be honest you're sounding mostly pissed off that a forum support post you made got rejected. sure, forum support isn't perfect but it is a really nice feature and saying "**** is useless" surely isn't going to accomplish anything.

for future reference, you might want to read to read the OP more closely.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
You can't expect answers from people immediately. Administrators/Senators/All other Staff don't live on this site. You have to be patient. If it has been a few days, send another PM or bump yoru forum support post.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
-Provide a bigger resolution modification of the default skin (Revolution). Right now I believe it's set to 800x600. Options like 1024x765 or even fullscreened would be nice for those with high resolution screens. (By the way, 2 of Revolution's header buttons have been gone for like almost a month).
I've asked this a bunch of times and iirc, the reason why it hasn't happened is because Revolution was designed in a set size that doesn't change. :/

Still though, it's definitely worth looking into what with it being our default skin and all.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gif avatars. Pretty much every other forum has them.

Also fix when searching for posts by a single person after looking up how many posts people have in a thread. Right now, doing this makes you wait the whole minute even though you haven't searched anything.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
And that is exactly what's extremely annoying about those other forums.

60 second search limit. Bring it back down to 30 or something because it is awful.

Life

Smash Hero
Wouldn't mind a little more sig space. People's sigs seem to get clipped at the bottom often. And opened collapse tags shouldn't get clipped at the bottom as that defeats the entire purpose of collapse tags.

Also, what Asdioh said. I camp the New Post button because you never know where an interesting thread will pop up next. If not a whole lot happened in the past minute, I'm SOL.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
60 second search limit. Bring it back down to 30 or something because it is awful.
Please please please make it like 15 seconds. Even lower would be awesome!

You would be doing everyone in dGames a huge favor, doing isolated reads for specific info is tough because of the wait time inbetween if you search for the wrong keyword by accident.

D

Deleted member

On Smashboards Mobile, it is a bit of a chore to always have to scroll down through the tournament OP in all of the Tournament Listing threads on every page. Can this be fixed?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
-add the option of hide embedded youtube videos
(User CP -> Edit Options -> Visible Post Elements)

-add the option to hide the "my awards" tab
(User CP -> Display Options)

-make it so that blocked user's posts don't show up

and put someone else in charge of the DR or something, it's practically dead

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Avatar size going up to 125 width with 150 height or something would be nice.

Whatever you do with forum skins, please leave Smash Blue alone. It's perfect.

I don't approve of the animated gif idea for forum stuff, although having transparency properly transfer over to the shrunken pictures in your profile page and visitor messages, etc. would be nice.

Maybe for "Smash Character" profile option, there'd be an option for a headshot of each character from each game? Melee Falco is completely different than Brawl Falco, for example.

Another 50 PMs or something would be nice, but I can understand the unlikeliness of that, considering the desire for premium members.

Maybe add Reddit or something to the "Bookmarks" thing? It's certainly better than Digg these days.

shanus

Smash Hero
When you press the Search button on SWF mobile on an iphone, then press "Posts" instead of "Threads", the next letter you type autohides the search box and forces you to repress it. Fixing that bug would be nice :)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Well, we had to bump it up to 60 because the server couldn't handle it and got 502'd a lot.

My suggestion is to make it so that when you search, it automatically goes to results as posts rather than as threads.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Well, we had to bump it up to 60 because the server couldn't handle it and got 502'd a lot.

My suggestion is to make it so that when you search, it automatically goes to results as posts rather than as threads.
This would be fine, IMO

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Just scrolling through this thread, I see avatar size increase suggestions already.

SECONDINGG

200x200 is way too big, it would horizontally stretch out the size of the left postbit column thing, and I can't imagine what it'd do to top postbit. Between 140 and 160 square would be perfect. You get 50% more detail in your avatar, and you increase the size of your post by AT MOST 16%, and that's if you don't have a location or Brawl FC or anything.

-make it so that blocked user's posts don't show up
That would be nice, also turn off subscription updates if someone blocked posts in a thread.

Wouldn't mind a little more sig space.
oh sweet mother of god no

oh sweet mother of god no no no no no

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
So back when premium membership was announced, higher ups at smashboards said that the money generated from selling premium accounts would go towards helping smash tournaments and helping the smash community.

Has that been happening?
I would just like an answer to this question.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I would love to see the global rules updated so that legal homebrew/jailbreaking discussion is actually allowed.

Right now, the rules are so vague that any mod can interpret them however they want on the subject, as seen in the ps3 thread. Now, I'm not suggesting that we should be allowed to talk about downloading "backup" copies of games, but surely there's nothing wrong with talking about legal applications of ps3 jailbreaking?

I hope that I don't need to bring up the double standard of allowing wii homebrew discussion.

(God, I hate using jailbreaking as a term)

Anyway, increased avvy size would be nice, but it shouldn't be increased too much.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think lowering search time is a good idea.

Macman: it already has in a number of ways:
-$67,500 in prizes for Brawl at MLG in 2010 (compared with just $32,690 in entry fees)
-Paying for servers for the site
-Paying for content and other misc. things as they come around
-Who knows what else in the future (Sundance tweeted about a possible Smash tournament this upcoming year)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I can see some colors for user names have been periodically removed in the course of this last year. Why is that?

I'd like the return of some, or add new ones. May not have to include being part of a group of some sort. Or give us some default color choices.

That's just something personal I would like.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only color removal I know of is Tournament Director blue, since the usergroup's original purpose (ability to add events to calendar) was rarely used anyway and practically anyone who applied got in.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Also Pokemon Researchers / Masters.

I WANT MY TOMATO ORANGE BACK

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't wanna make a huge paragraph about it so I'll make a straight to the point list instead lol.

-Avatars: allow users to use bigger avatars. Anyone that has been on this site for more than 4-5 years knows that SWF's history on avatars has been kind of strict. We've had 75x75 avatars for a bunch of years and it was until recently that they changed it to 100x100. Given the nature of this site, increasing the size of avatars would do nothing but good. I'm not talking 500x500, but something around 150x150 to 200x200 wouldn't hurt anyone, in fact, it would make people happier.

-Give users the power to embed media (YT, vimeo, etc). I think this is a must, especially on a site based on a fighting videogame. Having a million youtube links listed on, for example, matchup threads, is awful (I used to manage a character board video archive thread and it was somewhat annoying lol). It's much comfortable to have videos embedded on the thread, not as an external link to another site. You want people to stay on the site, not get them away from it. I know there's a dilemma regarding this: rule breaking. But how is this any different from, say, posting images? People still have the report feature.

-Fix the Friend Finder
If anyone understands the site, it's Nerd Dekuu. Seconding everything. Listen to this man.

(By the way, 2 of Revolution's header buttons have been gone for like almost a month).
THAT'S NOT JUST ME???

Maybe for "Smash Character" profile option, there'd be an option for a headshot of each character from each game? Melee Falco is completely different than Brawl Falco, for example.
Agreed. I might actually crop all the images myself and provide them to the administrators.

D

Deleted member

I've asked this a bunch of times and iirc, the reason why it hasn't happened is because Revolution was designed in a set size that doesn't change. :/

Still though, it's definitely worth looking into what with it being our default skin and all.
I only just noticed this and yes, some elements (read: the category headers and such) are of a fixed width. this is however reasonably easy to fix (cough photoshop)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We are currently looking into fixing the default Smashboards skin issues. All of them.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I would like to see animated avatars. If you keep the same (or a similar) maximum file size, what's the problem? If you enable it for premium users only and increase the maximum file size a bit, could it really cost you money? And I'm sure there is a way to have an option to disable animated avatars so that they are stuck on their first frame for people who don't want to look at them. :)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
There will be changes regarding skins soon.

Certain usergroup colors were scrapped to reduce the rainbow that was seemingly overtaking the site. There were simply too many colors, and the recent ones that were scrapped were for either very minor groups or those that used to be a bigger deal, but now simply do not have any purpose to having a color.

AFAIK larger avatars & animated avatars were vetoed to cut down on page loading times, but we can look at it again.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
AFAIK larger avatars & animated avatars were vetoed to cut down on page loading times, but we can look at it again.
Animated avatars seem to occasionally make pages load a lot slower on other sites if a ton of people are using them, but larger (as in, 25-50 more px, not huge *** avvys) avatars don't seem to effect loading times too much. Besides, animated avatars can be rather annoying, like animated sigs.

Actually, on another forum most people have 200x150 ones, but it still loads fast, haha. That would be a bit ridiculous for this site though.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Give users the power to search through their PM Box via a search engine to look for specific information (more spefically their IMs, email addresses, cell phone numbers, etc.).
Being able to search your PM box or at least filter by recipient/sender or something would be so great.

Top Bottom