• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AWYP: Art With Your Power #5 -Winners will be announced 2034-

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Art With Your Power

the current drawing prompt is....

NEMESIS

Any medium is allowed.

Contest is over on May 7th at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points(meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to prompt: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category and let's remember the basis of this contest is fun and improvement

Ingenuity/Style: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics: Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The judges will be:Xiivi. Neon Ness. Yink. Chronodiver Lokii. ZIO.The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will ever be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

Of course, this being the most awesome section of the boards, there will be prizes.

THIRD PLACE:

You'll receive the awesome Paint Brush postbit. :brush:

SECOND PLACE:

You'll earn not just the brush, but a custom title of your choice.

FIRST PLACE:

On top of gaining the Brush and custom title, you get to choose the prompt of the next contest and partake in the judging as well. SWEET! :)

How to enter

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works. Also, please put these WIPs in the same post as your submission, and make them just links.

Virg edit:
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
My name is Virgilijus and I approve this message.

Edit: Also, I'll cook up some Premie Memberships for those who place.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Glad you liked the topic so much. I approve wholeheartedly. Good luck everyone!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I missed this ; w ;
Good luck to everyone. And remember to art with your power <3

Also, Yink, LOVE the Hazama icon <3

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
AWYP RETURNS.

I'm sure everyone's hyped to do a good job. I wanna see some WIP images soon. =D

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
And by soon we mean RIGHT NOW BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD BE MAD HYPED FOR THIS
jk

but srsly though

...this is awesome

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Just what you think could act as a nemesis.

Yink described it in an interesting way. Could be a rival of someone, or it could be, say, those fatty foods everywhere you go when you are trying to diet.

Eh . . . I'd leave it up to her to further explain the idea, I'm not terribly good at it. But I hope you get the idea.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Just what you think could act as a nemesis.

Yink described it in an interesting way. Could be a rival of someone, or it could be, say, those fatty foods everywhere you go when you are trying to diet.

Eh . . . I'd leave it up to her to further explain the idea, I'm not terribly good at it. But I hope you get the idea.
I'd love to explain it.

I like to come up with themes that can have multiple points of view. We normally think of a nemesis as a rival of sorts, someone who tries to be better. That or a villain, someone who constantly causes grief.

But is it always a person? It could very well be a thing. My mom loves water, but she hates swimming. Her fear of swimming is a nemesis.

See what I mean? Be creative! This is a very open ended topic, because anything could be a nemesis. A dream, a person, a thing...think hard!

Geist

Smash Master
Idea.
Something I've wanted to do forever, but haven't found the time to do. Well that itself isn't my idea. But you'll see.
>:D

Assuming that time doesn't stand in my way, I'll definitely gonna give this a shot.

Geist

Smash Master
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules.
Question: matte painting often utilizes multiple layered photographs (albeit modified ones) combined with manual digital painting.
So are we allowed to use reference photos off the internet to chop up and modify, or is this completely out of the question?
Because I'm totally addicted to matte painting right now.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
YAY! It livesss!

Been way too long. Hopefully I get something down.

I trust the judging won't take months ;)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i enjoy watching you guys participate in these. always produces some cool stuff. good luck!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You should TOTALLY JOIN Jungle.

We need more participants.

Did someone say Hayley?! <3

Btw I'm most likely gonna give this a shot.

Question: When you guys say that any medium is accepted (minus fecal matter), does that include animation?

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Jungle should join in imo.

I wish I could think of something for this, Im gonna have fun seeing all the lovely arts =D

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Question: When you guys say that any medium is accepted (minus fecal matter), does that include animation?
Personally I don't see why not. Definitely worth cool points for innovation.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
want to do this soo bad. if an extra week is added i can definitely enter, if not oh well i look forward to seeing oher's submissions either way

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Things are going great! Everybody who's posted has said they can't wait to see other submissions.

Why not make your own? Why not test your creative juices? Why not see how others view your works? Why not find out if you have what it takes to push yourself creatively? Take a chance. You can spend five minutes, or five days. What could you make out of that time?

Geist

Smash Master
I agree with Zio, there is still the majority of the entire month to do this, why not just enter for the heck of it? There's really nothing to lose, and odds are it'll be an experience we can all improve from.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I could be studying for my 2 tests or writing my 3 papers :p. I have no desire to better myself in art, I just enjoy seeing other people do what they do.

Came into this thread only to find Virg threatening me >:[

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hahaha I seriously cannot think of something that fits within the subject. Maybe next time :3
Jungle you deserve every threat ♥

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I could be studying for my 2 tests or writing my 3 papers :p. I have no desire to better myself in art, I just enjoy seeing other people do what they do.

Came into this thread only to find Virg threatening me >:[
SSJ5PollyPocket it is then!

>:^D

Geist

Smash Master
you mean taking a pencil and paper drawing to photoshop/gimp and coloring it right?
I might be able to help you with that.

Top Bottom