• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Grab Release Shenanigans

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Characters you can standing grab after grounded grab release:
Peach
Yoshi (you have to be fast though; if he shields and you're a bit slow you'll miss because his hurtbox compresses frame 1 of his shielding animation)
Captain Falcon
Falco
Fox
Zelda
Sheik
Link
Young Link
Pichu
Pikachu
Jigglypuff

Chacters DK can walk forward for 1 frame and then grab:
Roy

Characters DK can't do **** against:
Bowser
Luigi*

*Against Luigi, if you frame perfect Dash JC Grab you can catch them on frame 2. I think that means Luigi can jab you...

About DK's options in these situations:
In situations where you can't grab your opponent, go for upward-angled F-Tilt. Why? Because it does 11% damage fresh while his other options do less. Yes, normally angled F-Tilt does less damage. D: it's saddening.

note: my walk forward grab list is incomplete. if GIMR could go through and test walk forward grab for me that'd be awesome. additionally if it isn't too much trouble could you go through and test to see if there are any characters outside of Bowser & Luigi that DK can't Up-Angled Ftilt? There might be characters he can normal F-Tilt but not upward-angle FTilt.
additionally, things you should test if you can: turnaround Up-B (comes out frame 7), pivot upb (this would be sick LOL), jump upb (comes out frame 7)

ALSO dash forward upb should work against some chars, can you test that too? Sorry about all of the requests, I'm just really excited for this haha

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'll look into it put can't promise anything :p

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have escaped grabs against M2K before. It's something that happens sometimes.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Well, M2K as a Marth player, just loves to pummel people since Melee players don't seem to try and break out unless they're playing an Ice Climbers player

phish-it

Smash Champion
OTG told me about this. I couldn't really put it to the test because I seem to suck at breaking out in time. It looks great on paper but easily avoided by the opponent if they just throw right away.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this works or not but it looks possible that DK can lock certain opponents when he grabs and does a f throw and just leaves the opponent on top of him (Where dk can carry the opponent around). And when they break out of it, it looks like some characters can get regrabbed and/or attacked while released out of the f throw grab.

Everlasting Laughter

Smash Cadet
But most of the time it is much wiser to combo with a throw or cargo than off to f throw 2nd jump up b to edge or something than to sit there and take a lot of recoil damage (equal their damage counting weight differnces) and get a mere f tilt off at best and i don't think this is legit plan wise because you'd have to be nearly perfect get the f tilt combo or grab so if they mixed up it would be unhuman to react if you only have a few frames to tell what to do.

Bowser has more stun so he's worth looking into more.

Even if they alway get one release it's still too risky compared to a straight forward combo unless this is for like peach or something you can get off on right

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not sure if this works or not but it looks possible that DK can lock certain opponents when he grabs and does a f throw and just leaves the opponent on top of him (Where dk can carry the opponent around). And when they break out of it, it looks like some characters can get regrabbed and/or attacked while released out of the f throw grab.
It doesn't work. DK doesn't have frame advantage in this situation.

Top Bottom