• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF: The Bad, and the Good.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Link to original post: [drupal=4362]SWF: The Bad, and the Good.[/drupal]

[Because when you pull an all-nighter, there's nothing to do but write while everyone sleeps.]

Do you wanna know what kind of community Brawl has? To find that answer, you'd have to look in two places; online and IRL. See, SWF is a forum, which means there are rules, regulations, order, management, etc., blah blah blah blah. As such, SWF is like a giant school, with rules, principals, etc., and a noticeable order to the way things are run. But do any of you remember what school was like? Or, if you're in school, would you really want to come to a website that is like being at school?

FFFFFffffff-

Ok, lemme start over. I swear, when I think about how SWF is, I cringe, and then I unfurl loads of rage at the thought of this website. tl;dr- I'll rant. So lemme digress.

Ok, if you're new to SWF, you think, 'Oh look! A website where I can talk about this awesome game! Hey look! My character! OMFG I LURB KIRBY! GAIZ, ROCK IS THE BEST MOVE EVERRRRRRR!!!! -posts-.' and then you post in the video critique thread of a character board asking if (blank) does well against (blank) character, and our thoughts.

First off, it's a vid thread. Second, there's a MU thread. Third, rock is NOT a good move.

But hey, that's all easily forgivable since you're new to this site :3

And then, some guy with a 75+ post count comes in and agrees that, 'Hey, rock IS a great move. And hey! (Blank) whoops the **** out of (blank) because of rock! >_> Works for me, I play my sister when I'm bored'.

First off, it's a vid thread. Second, there's a MU thread. Third, rock is NOT a good move. Fourth, you're bad and you should feel bad.

So, mistake once, shame on you. Mistake twice, shame on me. THERE WILL NOT BE A THIRD TIME.

My response to this person who obviously has been around these boards enough? "You're bad and you should feel bad."

Mr response to the new person? "Here's the thread you need, and here's my response in THIS correct thread. Btw, Rock is a terribad move."

Let's see: Reprimand SWF-frequenter with insult? Check. Correct new person's mistake? Check.

AND THEN BAM! INFRACTIONS. Or a warning, but don't act like this won't happen again so you can safely assume it's an eventual infract.

Some, might look at this and say justice was served, and you can't go around insulting people without consequence. Some of you more realistic people, might look at this and say 'BAD FORM!' because IRL I'm going to call you stupid for doing something stupid and if you wanna IRL-infract me, I'm going to say you're stupid and that's the end of that.

I understand that there are rules on this forum. I understand if you break these rules, you receive warning and infractions. I also understand if you receive blah blah you blah blah blah blah blah. Yes, I already know.
But maybe, I post like I talk IRL. Maybe, I'm genuinely honest and if I see something stupid, I'm there with the call out. Do I know you? Does that matter? No. No. Am I doing this to intentionally break rules in hopes of pissing off some nerd powers-that-be? No. Does that matter? No.

Ya see, the rules are there to allow everyone there fair share. If you don't agree with the rules, this website is going to allow you to sit there for 700 pages, of 40PPP, endlessly ranting WITH SOME STUPID ******* THAT IS NEVER GOING TO A TOURNAMENT BUT STILL FEELS HONORBOUND TO DICTATE HOW TOURNAMENTS ARE RUN. Don't agree with the stagelist? This website has WHOLE SECTIONS FOR YOU TO DEBATE HOW TO MAKE THIS GAME FAIR EVEN IF YOU'RE NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GOING TO A TOURNAMENT WHERE THIS STAGELIST WILL BE USED. Wanna preach about how awesome a 298450342975 frame start up lagged move is? THIS SITE WILL STOP ANYONE WITH A BRAIN FROM INSULTING YOUR ENDLESS STUPIDITY BECAUSE YOU'RE A TODDLER AND CANT HANDLE SOMEONE TELLING YOU THAT AFTER 40 PAGES, YES YOU INDEED ARE STUPID.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Is my frustration palpable?

Now wait, don't get ahead of me. If this was the only reason I was mad, you could simply write this off as a mean person being mad he can't be mean to people all the time. If only it was that easy.

Lemme quickly detail a scenario:
1. You're in a thread pertaining to tournament rules.
2. Someone, who will NEVER go to a tournament using these rules, starts to complain, whine and moan about it not being this and that. (This means this person is in this thread whining and complaining for NO REASON.)

They are there for no reason! And yet the rules, and moderators, AND ADMINS, will support their *****ing and moaning because they're not really hurting anyone. There's spamming endless debating that have been debated since the beginning of time (for Brawl) in a million different announcement threads. AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

------------------------

Ya see, I love new people. I love introducing people to Brawl, to Kirby, and to the IRL community because DESPITE HOW BAD EVERYTHING I JUSS DESCRIBED WAS, the tournament community is NOTHING LIKE THAT. The people you meet at tournaments are either kinda weird and creepy (which means you need to warm up to them, because if you're like me, you see them as ewoks and those are adorable once you look past their hideous exteriors) or super cool fun people! Neither of those are bad, and they're cool since they're doing what you're doing: attending tournaments because they enjoy the scene.

It took me a while but I realized that I could be a part of the tournament scene, and never venture ANYWHERE on SWF besides my city thread, and the tournament thread I'm RSVP-ing. If SWF wants to protect some idiots right to be a completely idiot, then so be it, but I'll have no part of it. The online community, and by online community, I mean, the people you don't see @ tournaments, are the worst part of Brawl (even looking past Snake's stupid hitboxes).

Tl;dr- SWF is a bunch of baby-coddlin', breast-feedin', pompous, presumptuous, mommy moderators protecting some stupid fools', in a various parts of the world, right to spam his bull**** as long as he's not hurting anyone. Well guess what, you're painful to look at and it kills me to know I share oxygen with you.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why do think you deserve the right to insult people? It doesn't help anyone, in fact, it hurts people. I wouldn't disgree with you if you said that they should toughen up, but that doesn't change the fact that there's no good reason to hurt people's feelings just to make yourself feel superior.

In regards to debating about rulesets even if they'll never attend a tournament: Chances are they are doing it because they value the community and want to help push it in the right direction.

An act of selflessness, though judging by this thread, you wouldn't know anything about that.

No one is forcing you to stay here, and this blog will change nothing.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Obviously, you don't share my dislike for meaningless drivel. If you did, you'd insult people who spout it like I do. Since you don't share my dislike, nor how I respond to said dislike, it's easy to see why you don't understand why I respond like I respond.

I'm brutally honest. Blatant stupidity, not ignorance, is met with displeasure in the form of an insult. My way, not your's and no I don't feel a need to change this.

Second, a MAJORITY of tournament-goer could care LESS about a small 10ish people who spam the major announcement threads with their 'advancing the metagame' additions to how Brawl tournaments are. THE PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE TOURNAMENTS DON'T CARE ABOUT ADVANCING THE METAGAME IN REGARDS TO ADDING SPEAR PILLAR BECAUSE IT ADDS DEPTH. Caps for emphasis and nothing more.

**** their selflessness. I'll throw them under the bus for their kindness.

Notice how the thread title is why I quit SWF. As in I too realize I'm not forced to stay here but acknowledge I am still here. NO BLOG CHANGES ANYTHING.

Idiot; I have no right to insult people, but I choose to anyways.

I guess it's worth mentioning that JoWii wrote this entire thread while sitting
backwards
on his toilet.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Hey hey now Twinkie - If you're ****talking a **** web community, the ****ter is where you wanna be~

NNID
Budget_Player
I love how JoWii thinks that he's the smart one... Hilarious.

Also, you're flat-out wrong on quite a few points. Have you seen my posts? I don't get that many infractions. And it's hard to be more of a **** than I am. You must really be trying...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i dig this thread.

*insert poitless debate here*

*now watch jowii destroy pointless debate and better eveveryone*

*chortle once, now twice, now laugh *** off*

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you're just going to say "You're bad and you should feel bad" even though that's not the worst thing to say; There's no reason to be mean like that, and I could see why you would be infracted. I understand that's how you talk IRL, but on forums, you have to follow the rules to be on it, And I don't see a reason to hurt someone like that, you can easily get your point across by just saying "Rock" is not too good and reasons why. I mean, at the end of day, it's just the person's opinion, no matter how dumb it seems to you, y'know? That's just what I think on the matter.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i hate it when scrubs with less than 3,000 posts claim stone is a bad move

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@BPC- I've re-read my blog since posting and no where do I cite my intelligence, and only do I generally hint at any knowledge of Brawl in regards to Kirby. Also, as many references as there are to BPC-esque activities, no where did I cite you. Lastly, even though no where in this blog are you mentioned, yes you are one person who does much of what I reference - meaning yes, you are one of the online people I detest. I ain't mad though, dealt with.

@Red Ryu- Ya, well, if you wanna come live next to me, and hand a 'penalty' to anyone that insults me, I'll prevent myself from insulting others as to not incur 'infractions' as well. Besides, I usually save my insults for the repetitive posters of said stupidity; not exactly a first-time offense type thing. It's how I roll.

@Jungle- I'm not sure what that picture means, but I like it.

@Sosuke- Did you just reference being a scrub with a direct correlation to post count? What a sad life you must lead to give post count that much weight. Obviously you missed the part where I referenced post count as a person being knowledgeable about how SWF works, and not dictating their skill as a player. Please tell me I'm just reading your post in the incorrect context so I don't have to facepalm.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
But maybe, I post like I talk IRL. Maybe, I'm genuinely honest and if I see something stupid, I'm there with the call out.
You got an infraction for your personality. Not that I believe you, I'm 100% you are different offline. And if not, we'll just wait for the day someone breaks your nose during an argument, or whatever other consequences you might face.

It really looks as if (s)he's having a lot of pleasure.

:052:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@Yaaaaaaaay- Go ahead and post in the Austin thread, SA thread, STL thread, Whicita, Iowa, nebraska, MW, SW, or anywhere and you'll hear tales of my ****talk IRL and how loud (and obnoxious) I can be.

Do I care? Not enough to waste time finding a gif to express my apathy.

Edit: SuperMet- I seem to have forgotten you in my earlier post. Agreed, that not the worst thing I could've said. Agreed that usually it shouldn't even come to insults since most newcomers just are ignorant of the mid- to higher-levels of Brawl (better options, endlag +phantom lag on moves, start-lag, etc); which is why I'm very patient. I'm a Kirby mentor so I'm not against helping because lack of knowledgeable. I DON'T forgive stupidity - which means, they know of the mid- to higher-levels, and continue to spam stupid bull**** because it works on some random-anon, and blatantly ignore the knowledge they are presented with. So, if they choose to ignore the facts, I'm going to 'Lawl, r0c soooo good, u rite' them, tag an insult, and go about my bidnezz.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
post count is positively correlated not only with intelligence but cool levels.

the same goes for post bit icons

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
jowii

i understand what youre saying about theorists being impractical and spouting **** thatll never fly in tourney play

but does not being able to punt like Billy Cundiff prevent you from making a judgement on whether or not the nfl's new kickoff rules are good for the game?

my point is you dont have to be a pro to be able to analyze the game

so if a whole bunch of people want to talk about theoretical rulesets on their own little part of the board, whats stopping them?

more importantly, if they think that their theoretical rulesets are practical enough to be used, whats stopping them from making a recommendation?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
@Yaaaaaaaay- Go ahead and post in the Austin thread, SA thread, STL thread, Whicita, Iowa, nebraska, MW, SW, or anywhere and you'll hear tales of my ****talk IRL and how loud (and obnoxious) I can be.

Do I care? Not enough to waste time finding a gif to express my apathy.
I guess.

But that still doesn't justify anything, you're just lucky you haven't been 'infracted' IRL. :oneeye:

:052:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@MK26- What right does that sport nerd have to affect the rules of a game that he isn't even going to be playing? He's going to be sitting there, watching the game, while that punter has to deal with the rules. If that sport nerd theorycrafts that 'maybe the punter should wear metal boots', for whatever asinine reason, and IF it gets put through? That punter has to deal with this new 'depth' because of some stupid idiot that ISN'T EVEN PLAYING THE GAME.

So nothing's stopping them from talking about it, but if it gets put in, now I have to deal with it while they sit back and watch. Football was fine without the metal boots, and Brawl is fine without stupid levels that aren't necessary to the player ACTUALLY in tournament.

Do what they want, but don't stop me from doing what I want then; that's juss double-standard.

@Yaaaay- Maybe you can be the first. I'm still sitting pretty; black eye-less, and a **** eating grin~

Suspect

Smash Hero
I love how JoWii thinks that he's the smart one... Hilarious.

Also, you're flat-out wrong on quite a few points. Have you seen my posts? I don't get that many infractions. And it's hard to be more of a **** than I am. You must really be trying...
How active are you in the tournament scene? just curious

Awesome thread btw, I completely agree

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Of course, I can't stop you from doing waht you want in tourney

BUt what I can do is try to convince you to change your views. For instance, most smashers, myself included, wrote PS2 off because we thought it was a ridiculous stage. But a few theorycrafters went out, tested it, and asked us where the stage's problems were...and then enough important people were convinced that the stage is perfectly usable. Not necessarily used often, but that may be because its not the kind of stage one would think of practicing on and thus not the kind that most players are comfortable picking in tournament

If the sports nerd comes to an informed conclusion that metal boots are better for the game, and if he can somehow convince people (refs or owners or even kickers) that this is so, perhaps he's a good thing to have around. But if he comes to an incorrect conclusion, hes gonna be shut down, but not verbally abused publically because he hasnt played in the nfl and thus "STFU U HAV NO ****ING CLUE WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT N00B LRN2PLAY OR GB2BLEACHERS"

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@MK- I don't know why my rage-radar didn't go off sooner. YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!!

Which means I no longer wish to continue this conversation because I've said my piece about how I feel about you people and wish to remove this horrendous scar of a conversation from my mind.

Though since you're a Kirby board person (barely), I'll oblige you a leaving remark: You don't understand. Simply put, you just don't understand.

NNID
Budget_Player
@MK26- What right does that sport nerd have to affect the rules of a game that he isn't even going to be playing? He's going to be sitting there, watching the game, while that punter has to deal with the rules. If that sport nerd theorycrafts that 'maybe the punter should wear metal boots', for whatever asinine reason, and IF it gets put through? That punter has to deal with this new 'depth' because of some stupid idiot that ISN'T EVEN PLAYING THE GAME.
Stupid analogy. In fact, comparing sports to video games is generally going to lead to incredibly ******** analogies. Why? Because sports are typically mutable. The way the sport is played can change drastically from one season to the next. From one type of ball to another. From one field size to another. From metal boots to plastic boots.

A video game is not. A video game has its internal coding, and you don't have access to it. You can't do **** with it unless you hack it (but that's another story entirely). Your comparison with the metal boots? That'd be like hacking in Poke Floats. Not changing the ruleset. There is no truly accurate analogy in sports for what we're doing, because we have a lot of limitations that sports just don't have. There are entirely different principles of game design going on here.

When we see something like the layout of Norfair causing trouble (the material of the turf being wrong), we can't just clap our hands together and say "layout, be smashville!" like in Brawl- (you can change the turf material!), we have to shake our heads and ban the stage. When we see MK being way above everyone else, we can't lower his range/power slightly, we have to either ban him, or learn to deal with it. I wish people would stop trying to use sports analogies; they just do not work when talking about a ruleset. Period. It's apples and oranges, people.

So nothing's stopping them from talking about it, but if it gets put in, now I have to deal with it while they sit back and watch. Football was fine without the metal boots, and Brawl is fine without stupid levels that aren't necessary to the player ACTUALLY in tournament.
...Dude, just... Look below. I promise you that I am more active than most smashers you know. In a region that is fairly low on smash. I have to deal with your ****. And not even your logical reasoning (which is what you have to deal with coming from me; I'm not going against the grain without damn good rationale behind it), I have to deal with your personal preferences. And you complain about us trying to force logic down your throat?

Your analogy is flawed in another way as well. We aren't the nerds from the sidelines, we're the people doing the punting. :glare:

How active are you in the tournament scene? just curious

Awesome thread btw, I completely agree
I just placed 17th at a major european international last weekend (out of like 90, losing to first and third place in the german power ranking in winners and losers respectively) and I have another one, maybe two if I can scratch the money together lined up for April. I meet almost every week with my crew to spend at least one solid day playing smash; another member of my crew took a ranked set off of a member of the german PR last weekend as well, so I think it's reasonable to claim that at least half of us are not random scrubs but rather actual, legitimate tournament threats.

Grim Tuesday and Ghostbone both regularly frequent tournaments in their region.

Raziek is a TO who has recently pushed his region into a 21-stage stagelist with 9 starters (FD not being one of them).

I can't say for sure about people like Supreme Dirt and Twinkie, but I wouldn't doubt that they frequent tournaments as well.

Does that answer this question? Let's stop asking about my credentials as well, please, because they are utterly meaningless. I will keep on saying this again and again, how good someone is at brawl has no influence on how good their arguments regarding the ruleset are. Case in point Luigi player (possibly europe's best player, advocates an SV-only stagelist) and all of Japan. When logic fails, it fails. And when a player can bring a really strong logical argument for why punters using metal boots would be an improvement on the sport, then by golly, people should listen to him.

And you know what the sad part is? MK26 just ninja'd me with exactly what I think on the issue, and you waved him off. Well, you know what? He's right. You're not. Deal with it.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@BPC- Don' care enough to read the wall; juss know that I don't agree with anything you said. You're logic means nothing to me because I'm playing Brawl, over here where I will never interact with you, with people over here, where they won't play you in a tournament, while I lawl about how much I loooove SV.

Btw, this is my blog, so I'm kinda here to stay. Also, this blog is like a giant rant message about why I detest people like you, so if you're here, you're sorta just standing in the way of bullets. Jusssss saiyan~~~~~

@T- Indeed that move does rock. I'd even go as far as to say it -sunglasses- SHUT THE **** UP WITH THOSE TIRED *** JOKES. :>

@MK-

NNID
Budget_Player
So... Let's get this straight here...

You won't read the arguments against your faulty, preconceived bull****, but you'll gladly insult those with the opposite view.

P.S. check again; I can't believe that you disagree that SV is a good stage.

Good to know who we're dealing with here. :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
sounds like this guy doesn't know much about kirby's down-b

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So... Let's get this straight here...

You won't read the arguments against your faulty, preconceived bull****, but you'll gladly insult those with the opposite view.

P.S. check again; I can't believe that you disagree that SV is a good stage.

Good to know who we're dealing with here. :)
Are you being serious here?

It actually took you an entire blog post and 30+ posts of talk to finally deduce what kind of person JoWii is?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
-reads BPCs post-

Let's see, should I read the same post that has been posted in every page of every announcement/ major thread, in every section of SWF, blogs, stage rage area, ruleset blah blah blah, and reaffirm why I dislike the online community? I'm gonna answer that with a solid no <3

@Sosuke- What's a down-b?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'd just like to take the time to point out specifically what is taking place.

I made a post about how much I dislike the online community with specific amounts of dislike towards certain parties that remained nameless. Mind you, this is my personal blog; with that said I made no personal attacks to warrant any rude, or harassing posts.

And then, certain parties that might, if they choose to label themselves as such, fall into said categories, ranted on in blog decide to make personal jabs and have opinions (which they are entitle to).

AND THEN A SENATOR COMES ON AND ALSO MAKES A PERSONAL ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER?!

Were I a lesser man, I'd acknowledge that remark with a post full of insults and mean words, but nay, I simply report this harassing, rude post and only hope some justice may find its way into this dark, dreary blog.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I made no such personal attack on your character, though I did question whether it actually took BPC over 30 posts to deduce one online persona.

Top Bottom