• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2011 DDD Matchup Discussion #1: Metaknight

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
CHARACTER DISCUSSION #1: METAKNIGHT

BBR MU Chart says: -2
DDD Boards say: 30-70 in MK's favor.
Can we Chaingrab? No

Amazing speed, priority, range, a godly recovery and the ability to pressure and gimp us very well makes this bat a tough opponent. Can the King overcome these obstacles in high level play?

Information we need:

-Both Characters Ground/Air Game Against Each Other-
-Moves To Avoid And How To Avoid Them-
-King Dedede's Moves To Utilize In The Matchup-
-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-
-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans-

Notable Posts:

Skel'D3 said:
This MU is very difficult.

We have to stay on the ground and punish with the Ftilt / Grab / Pivot Grab and Dtilt. I think our ground game can rivalize but be careful to don't be punish of using so much Ftilts. Grab will be our friend in the ground to punish Mk moves.

In the air, I personally see a BIG advantage for Metaknight, The Dair camp is just horrible and sometimes, we're combo so hard by his Uair... Just be carefull in the air and punish when you can punish. Our better aerial will be the Bair I think.

The tornado is also a big problem, it's pretty difficult to punish when the MK don't use his nado randomly. Personally, when I see a Tornado coming, I'll punish them with the Dtilt.
We can punish it with : Dtilt / Utilt / Dsmash / DownB ( Lol ) but you really to be attentive to punish this ****.

In the edgeguard, it's just **** for metaknight. Try to don't be edgeguard, MK can punish us so well with his moves.

For me, this MU is all about patience, don't loose patience and try to punish all metaknights errors.

Our advantages are :
- Our Weight, DDD is fat and he can survive long time.

Ban Brinstar / RC / Delfino.

I personnaly like neutral stages vs Metaknight.

30-70 for MK
YarsRevegerson said:
Despite how much I love them, Waddles shouldn't be used much in this matchup due to, Metaknight mostly being in the air, Waddle toss is slow as balls and more than likely can be punished by Nado with ease...The only upside is the chance to get a Gordo...But if Metaknight's off stage I'd rather do something else rather than hope for a Gordo (or toss a Doo and nick him at high percentages) STAY ON THE GROUND. Also, STAY NOT ABOVE MK. Dedede's ground game is waaaay better than his air in this particular match-up, F-tilt proves its worth here. It also helps freshen moves, something most people would appreciate.

Techchasing is REEEEEEAL important in this match-up, I've been taking the time to learn where and how far MK rolls/tech rolls, and seeing as one of our best punishes is Pivot grab, learning to get the most out of our grab's important. Another good punish is Inhale, it does a decent amount of damage, and can get the pressure off. Also, as much as I'm sure anyone would like to edgeguard MK, you have to be smart about it, unless you like getting killed in a stupid way.

Personally, I ban Brinstar, only because I feel much more comfortable with the extra space RC gives me, plus, with the parts with lower/closer blastboxes beneficial to us as landing the kill is somewhat easier on the stupidly fast bat. I'd probably CP to a more neutral stage, though, one that's easier to recover on Vs. MK (i.e. NOT FD)

Matchup is godawful, 70:30 easily.

Quick question, from what I've read, suicide is no longer in Dedede's favor using the unity ruleset, is this true?
Tech_Chase said:
I merged your posts together. Please avoid double posting. Just edit your latest one if you have more to add.

Oh I see some MKs lurking...

Anyway this is what I think of the MU:

This matchup is just bad. There is no way to get around it. In order to win this, you have to play safe and patiently the entire match. You can't rush in blindly and you pretty much have to outplay the Metaknight pretty severely the entire time. We're not helpless but this MU is bad.

This MU has to stay on the ground at all costs. We go about even with Metaknight in grounded combat we just have to make sure we get around a few things. MK's best grounded tools are Down-Smash, F-Tilt, D-Tilt, Grab and Forward Smash/Dash attack in moderation. Be very careful about punishing his ground moves because one mistake can give MK the edge he needs to put you in the air and putting a serious hurting on you. Seriously there are a lot of times where you should just back off and reset the spacing instead of getting greedy. You have to play INCREDIBLY safe here. And you can't stay in your shield for too long or spotdodge too much either. I'm going to tell you now:

MASTER POWERSHIELDING

It is essential for this MU. A lot of MKs moves perfectly spaced still are too hard to punish if they hit our shield. Powershielding gives you sooo many more opportunities for punishment. You want to grab MK whenever you can. Grab will be your best friend in this MU. If a MK badly spaces a move on your shield: Grab his *** unless you can kill with Up-Tilt or land a good Bair. B-Throw will be very valuable in this MU because of the raw damage it does. When it gets to the 13%-14%, use Forward Throw or Down Throw here. Tech chasing is honestly overrated here. I'm good at it but I don't get greedy about it. If I have a fresh B-Throw I will usually use that but an F-Tilt out of Down Throw or just a solid tech chase does help. If you're playing this MU correctly, this will go on for a while so you have time to figure out any habits they use when you Down Throw them. Remember just don't get greedy. Treat every grab like its precious.

If MK is perfectly his moves on your shield then F-Tilt for a quick punish or get out of there period. If MK is far away then start chucking Waddles at him. MK has to approach (unless he has the lead).

Hmm what else for this section..

Oh make sure you space everything well yourself or you will get hard punished. Throwing out reckless F-Tilts can get you Down-Smashed, Faired, Shuttle Looped or Tornadoed. I generally hate using Dash Grabs here because if I miss they can punish you with whatever they want. Pivot Grabs are better here. There is no reason to just jump into ****.

As far as the Air Game:

Avoid this scenario at all costs. Both of you in the air means MK will win. His moves are just way too fast and they have good range to boot. Being above MK is the worst situation you can be in because you open yourself up to all sorts of **** in the form of Up-Air, Tornado and Shuttle Loop. If you must use your moves make sure you space them. Fair and Bair use at maximum distance can help a bit. If MK is really close to you, you can Swallow him if you read him properly. I have Swallowed people out of Tornado AND Shuttle Loop. Swallow is a lifesaver in this MU but I'll get to that later. But in short, just avoid this scenario. If you get caught above MK trying to land on the stage, time your fast fall air dodges very well or use Down Air when you get the chance. If you can get enough horizontal distance from them Swallow helps if you know they're going to charge in.

Moves to Watch Out For:

Tornado - If MK is approaching you from mid distance be REALLY careful. If you recklessly use Up-Tilt or Down-Smash, they can retreat...and punish you with the same Tornado. Its gay. Dont let yourself get baited. If MK does this in really close quarters, put your shield up and tilt it in reaction to where he is trying to shield poke you. Sometimes they'll act like they're going to retreat just for you to drop your shield and then get you. When this happens, Up-Tilt or gtfo. Seriously rolling backwards and getting out of there is a good options. Don't get greedy. If you're trying to run away and MK chases you, you can Pivot Grab him out of the Nado. Its fun Swallow also helps if you catch them as they're starting it. Smart MKs will often throw out the move when you're trying to land. Just hover outside the range of it and wait for it to end. Also if MK uses Nado in the air and you're on the ground and hes a considerable distance above the ground when hes about to end it...DO NOT RUN IN. Its the lagless Tornado and he can react immediately upon landing. MKs love to bait people like this. Just throw a waddle and gtfo.

Shuttle Loop - In the air, you can Down Air MK out of the Loop if you see it coming. SL when you're both in the air is often times pretty telegraphed so this often times easy to spot. If you're REALLY good at this, Swallow is also an option. I would rather you all just avoid being in the scenario than trying to punish it. Sometimes you can't though and you just have to wait and throw out a move. If you're recovering though you're in a really bad spot. This move wrecks us off the stage if you put yourself in a bad spot. Avoid using Up B at all costs to recover and if you do, you have to mix it up. If MK knows what you're doing, you either going to lose your stock or take an absurd amount of damage.

Down-Smash - Don't get greedy here. If MK badly spaces the move punish it. If its perfectly spaced, retreat to mid distance. Seriously, the landing lag is so small..it'll look like you can profit and then here comes another Down Smash. Don't fall for that ****.

Forward-Smash - Same concept as Down Smash actually. Also this is what MKs use against people who spotdodge too much. So yes avoid that.

Down-air - A lot of MKs will try to Down Air camp us. Back air however can trade/beat this move if you use it correctly. Once again I would rather retreat than challenge MK directly.

Our Best Moves:

Grab - I pretty much stated the reasons already.

Forward Tilt - Its weak but it gives us damage for a quick punish. Some damage is better than no damage.

Up-Tilt - Our best kill move in this MU however don't get greedy and don't fish for it either. You can't force anything in this MU without getting punished hard.

Waddle Dee Toss - Hi, are you and MK far away from each other? Yeah, use this. He has no projectile. Just make sure the distance between you two is great. His dash grab is REALLY fast.

Swallow - This move will save your life in close quarters. The grab armor of this move has saved me countless times! Only use this move if you feel comfortable reading your opponent though. This is something you can't just bust out for the hell of it.

Back Air - Still a great move regardless. Avoid using this in direct air to air conflict. The move is great out of shield however and can beat Tornado if you position it towards the top (its hard though). If you can't land an Up-Tilt for the kill then start preparing for this move.

As far as my own personal strategy it is really simple. Pick your battles wisely, stay in mid distance and wait for MK to do something laggy or wait for him badly space moves. Play super safe and slow down the pace of the match. Ive said this at least 4 times but DONT GET GREEDY XD

Stages:

Ban: Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise depending on your playstyle. Most of us will get rid of Brinstar though. Both honestly they're both bad. I would actually rather fight on Brinstar tbh. Rainbow Cruise keeps us in the air and constantly on the move which is really bad. Brinstar is bad also but at least we can use the acid to aid our recovery and we can land our kill moves easier.

Counterpick: This is really a matter of personal playstyle. I would suggest Halberd, Lylat Cruise. Halberd gives us an much easier way of landing kill moves and they will kill earlier. Lylat is really good if you know how to use Platform Canceling effectively in my opinion. Plus keeping MK above you on platforms is also a perk. MK will try to stay in the air and bait you into doing something stupid here but honestly you have a lot of good options for using these. Auto Canceled Dairs rock here. And if MK tries to take you on the ground, its even pretty much.

Neutrals: Go for Lylat first. Ban Yoshi's first. The rest of the stages are all "meh" BF and Smashville are decent for us. I like Final Destination because I feel like we can live really long here and retreat better when things get hairy. Personal playstyle leans me towards Castle Siege. I guess if I had to list the stages in order from best to worst(IMO) it goes:

Lylat > FD >Siege >BF/SV> PS1>YI

I'll post more later even though I just wrote an essay...lol
Coney said:
recover high and they can chase you up there and uair>tornado you high, killing you SUPER early

recover low and you waste your jumps, forcing yourself to upb into his shuttle loop again and again

it's best to mix it up between the two and always consider the option of recovering at the veeery height of your jump. learn the distance and practice it. if you can upb and minimize your falling time, you'll land on the ground without losing your invulnerability from your ascent. recover very low and upb at the perfect distance to just kinda slide on the ground rather than land on it
Junk said:
d-throw doesn't put mk on the floor. mk can hold up and buffer ad into anything (f-tilt is common) and own you. you still have a frame trap but it's not very reliable... i would suggest pummel + b-throw in most situations.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
70-30 in my opinion, Meta Knight can punish almost anything we throw out ground wise. We have to watch out for down smash all throughout when we are in kill percent. Air game wise I feel Meta Knight and Dedede aren't too far apart, Meta Knight's forward air does do a lot of work on us, however, from above and below our up/down airs out range Meta Knight's options. Inhale is also a valuable tool in this match-up because of how it acts like a grab in the sense that it gives us super armor to ensure the inhale does its job and putting Meta Knight in more convenient situations. Stage wise, the only things I can think of is not to bring him to Rainbow or FD obviously, I feel like Battlefield is a bad choice due to the small amount of space alotted which allows Meta Knight to get in on us and stay in; I do remember TC mentioning Pictochat was a good stage to bring Meta Knight to. Tornado can be annoying however, personally I don't mind tornado at all and this is for two reasons; 1. Easy to punish with the vast amount of moves at Dedede's arsenal to hit it, 2. It doesn't do that much damage. Don't whiff back airs, no matter how well spaced, Meta Knight can and will punish it. Here's my 2 cents.

ZTD | TECHnology

Going to post on this when I'm not bar-hopping.

The preview:

This MU is ALMOST as bad as Ice Climbers. But its more commonly encountered. My rating is 2.5 in MKs favor of course. I'll have a BIG synopsis on this by tomorrow morning.

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet
This MU is very difficult.

We have to stay on the ground and punish with the Ftilt / Grab / Pivot Grab and Dtilt. I think our ground game can rivalize but be careful to don't be punish of using so much Ftilts. Grab will be our friend in the ground to punish Mk moves.

In the air, I personally see a BIG advantage for Metaknight, The Dair camp is just horrible and sometimes, we're combo so hard by his Uair... Just be carefull in the air and punish when you can punish. Our better aerial will be the Bair I think.

The tornado is also a big problem, it's pretty difficult to punish when the MK don't use his nado randomly. Personally, when I see a Tornado coming, I'll punish them with the Dtilt.
We can punish it with : Dtilt / Utilt / Dsmash / DownB ( Lol ) but you really to be attentive to punish this ****.

In the edgeguard, it's just **** for metaknight. Try to don't be edgeguard, MK can punish us so well with his moves.

For me, this MU is all about patience, don't loose patience and try to punish all metaknights errors.

Our advantages are :
- Our Weight, DDD is fat and he can survive long time.

Ban Brinstar / RC / Delfino.

I personnaly like neutral stages vs Metaknight.

30-70 for MK

Laem

Smash Champion
This is d3's worst MU.
Smart nado is unpunishable, his upb ***** our recovery. Dedede's pretty bad at landing and considering its vs MK he's ****ed in that situation as well. Ftilt is punished with ease. Utilt will never land.
You better hope the MK doesn't know the MU.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Despite how much I love them, Waddles shouldn't be used much in this matchup due to, Metaknight mostly being in the air, Waddle toss is slow as balls and more than likely can be punished by Nado with ease...The only upside is the chance to get a Gordo...But if Metaknight's off stage I'd rather do something else rather than hope for a Gordo (or toss a Doo and nick him at high percentages) STAY ON THE GROUND. Also, STAY NOT ABOVE MK. Dedede's ground game is waaaay better than his air in this particular match-up, F-tilt proves its worth here. It also helps freshen moves, something most people would appreciate.

Techchasing is REEEEEEAL important in this match-up, I've been taking the time to learn where and how far MK rolls/tech rolls, and seeing as one of our best punishes is Pivot grab, learning to get the most out of our grab's important. Another good punish is Inhale, it does a decent amount of damage, and can get the pressure off. Also, as much as I'm sure anyone would like to edgeguard MK, you have to be smart about it, unless you like getting killed in a stupid way.

Personally, I ban Brinstar, only because I feel much more comfortable with the extra space RC gives me, plus, with the parts with lower/closer blastboxes beneficial to us as landing the kill is somewhat easier on the stupidly fast bat. I'd probably CP to a more neutral stage, though, one that's easier to recover on Vs. MK (i.e. NOT FD)

Matchup is godawful, 70:30 easily.

Quick question, from what I've read, suicide is no longer in Dedede's favor using the unity ruleset, is this true?

Doc King

Smash Lord
Matchup is in MK's favor because of the tonado comboing dedede and mk being one of the few characters to combo well, can juggle dedede a lot with his uair. One of Dedede's worst matchups.

I should go over my specifics in this matchup, Dedede's famous rainbow cruise is actually more of a threat to dedede in this matchup because mk has a better air game than dedede. Dedede can use things like down tilt, up tilt, and bair to punish mk's tornado and a bunch of other moves which makes dedede have hope in this matchup lol. play a ground game so mk cant nado or up air juggle dedede and go for tech chases and bthrows.

You might want to use some waddle dee throwing like if mk is in the air or far away to put some pressure on mk or use space attacks like the f tilt. Also don't approach all of the time and make some use out of your weight, try to kill mk early with up tilt and you might even want to time out mk (Unless if you have more percent).

Take mk to the pokemon stadiums, picto looks ok, and Delfino don't look bad either.

Probably like 75:25 MK's favor and probably Dedede's worst matchup in the game.

ZTD | TECHnology

I merged your posts together. Please avoid double posting. Just edit your latest one if you have more to add.

Oh I see some MKs lurking...;)

Anyway this is what I think of the MU:

This matchup is just bad. There is no way to get around it. In order to win this, you have to play safe and patiently the entire match. You can't rush in blindly and you pretty much have to outplay the Metaknight pretty severely the entire time. We're not helpless but this MU is bad.

This MU has to stay on the ground at all costs. We go about even with Metaknight in grounded combat we just have to make sure we get around a few things. MK's best grounded tools are Down-Smash, F-Tilt, D-Tilt, Grab and Forward Smash/Dash attack in moderation. Be very careful about punishing his ground moves because one mistake can give MK the edge he needs to put you in the air and putting a serious hurting on you. Seriously there are a lot of times where you should just back off and reset the spacing instead of getting greedy. You have to play INCREDIBLY safe here. And you can't stay in your shield for too long or spotdodge too much either. I'm going to tell you now:

MASTER POWERSHIELDING

It is essential for this MU. A lot of MKs moves perfectly spaced still are too hard to punish if they hit our shield. Powershielding gives you sooo many more opportunities for punishment. You want to grab MK whenever you can. Grab will be your best friend in this MU. If a MK badly spaces a move on your shield: Grab his *** unless you can kill with Up-Tilt or land a good Bair. B-Throw will be very valuable in this MU because of the raw damage it does. When it gets to the 13%-14%, use Forward Throw or Down Throw here. Tech chasing is honestly overrated here. I'm good at it but I don't get greedy about it. If I have a fresh B-Throw I will usually use that but an F-Tilt out of Down Throw or just a solid tech chase does help. If you're playing this MU correctly, this will go on for a while so you have time to figure out any habits they use when you Down Throw them. Remember just don't get greedy. Treat every grab like its precious.

If MK is perfectly his moves on your shield then F-Tilt for a quick punish or get out of there period. If MK is far away then start chucking Waddles at him. MK has to approach (unless he has the lead).

Hmm what else for this section..

Oh make sure you space everything well yourself or you will get hard punished. Throwing out reckless F-Tilts can get you Down-Smashed, Faired, Shuttle Looped or Tornadoed. I generally hate using Dash Grabs here because if I miss they can punish you with whatever they want. Pivot Grabs are better here. There is no reason to just jump into ****.

As far as the Air Game:

Avoid this scenario at all costs. Both of you in the air means MK will win. His moves are just way too fast and they have good range to boot. Being above MK is the worst situation you can be in because you open yourself up to all sorts of **** in the form of Up-Air, Tornado and Shuttle Loop. If you must use your moves make sure you space them. Fair and Bair use at maximum distance can help a bit. If MK is really close to you, you can Swallow him if you read him properly. I have Swallowed people out of Tornado AND Shuttle Loop. Swallow is a lifesaver in this MU but I'll get to that later. But in short, just avoid this scenario. If you get caught above MK trying to land on the stage, time your fast fall air dodges very well or use Down Air when you get the chance. If you can get enough horizontal distance from them Swallow helps if you know they're going to charge in.

Moves to Watch Out For:

Tornado - If MK is approaching you from mid distance be REALLY careful. If you recklessly use Up-Tilt or Down-Smash, they can retreat...and punish you with the same Tornado. Its gay. Dont let yourself get baited. If MK does this in really close quarters, put your shield up and tilt it in reaction to where he is trying to shield poke you. Sometimes they'll act like they're going to retreat just for you to drop your shield and then get you. When this happens, Up-Tilt or gtfo. Seriously rolling backwards and getting out of there is a good options. Don't get greedy. If you're trying to run away and MK chases you, you can Pivot Grab him out of the Nado. Its fun :) Swallow also helps if you catch them as they're starting it. Smart MKs will often throw out the move when you're trying to land. Just hover outside the range of it and wait for it to end. Also if MK uses Nado in the air and you're on the ground and hes a considerable distance above the ground when hes about to end it...DO NOT RUN IN. Its the lagless Tornado and he can react immediately upon landing. MKs love to bait people like this. Just throw a waddle and gtfo.

Shuttle Loop - In the air, you can Down Air MK out of the Loop if you see it coming. SL when you're both in the air is often times pretty telegraphed so this often times easy to spot. If you're REALLY good at this, Swallow is also an option. I would rather you all just avoid being in the scenario than trying to punish it. Sometimes you can't though and you just have to wait and throw out a move. If you're recovering though you're in a really bad spot. This move wrecks us off the stage if you put yourself in a bad spot. Avoid using Up B at all costs to recover and if you do, you have to mix it up. If MK knows what you're doing, you either going to lose your stock or take an absurd amount of damage.

Down-Smash - Don't get greedy here. If MK badly spaces the move punish it. If its perfectly spaced, retreat to mid distance. Seriously, the landing lag is so small..it'll look like you can profit and then here comes another Down Smash. Don't fall for that ****.

Forward-Smash - Same concept as Down Smash actually. Also this is what MKs use against people who spotdodge too much. So yes avoid that.

Down-air - A lot of MKs will try to Down Air camp us. Back air however can trade/beat this move if you use it correctly. Once again I would rather retreat than challenge MK directly.

Our Best Moves:

Grab - I pretty much stated the reasons already.

Forward Tilt - Its weak but it gives us damage for a quick punish. Some damage is better than no damage.

Up-Tilt - Our best kill move in this MU however don't get greedy and don't fish for it either. You can't force anything in this MU without getting punished hard.

Waddle Dee Toss - Hi, are you and MK far away from each other? Yeah, use this. He has no projectile. Just make sure the distance between you two is great. His dash grab is REALLY fast.

Swallow - This move will save your life in close quarters. The grab armor of this move has saved me countless times! Only use this move if you feel comfortable reading your opponent though. This is something you can't just bust out for the hell of it.

Back Air - Still a great move regardless. Avoid using this in direct air to air conflict. The move is great out of shield however and can beat Tornado if you position it towards the top (its hard though). If you can't land an Up-Tilt for the kill then start preparing for this move.

As far as my own personal strategy it is really simple. Pick your battles wisely, stay in mid distance and wait for MK to do something laggy or wait for him badly space moves. Play super safe and slow down the pace of the match. Ive said this at least 4 times but DONT GET GREEDY XD

Stages:

Ban: Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise depending on your playstyle. Most of us will get rid of Brinstar though. Both honestly they're both bad. I would actually rather fight on Brinstar tbh. Rainbow Cruise keeps us in the air and constantly on the move which is really bad. Brinstar is bad also but at least we can use the acid to aid our recovery and we can land our kill moves easier.

Counterpick: This is really a matter of personal playstyle. I would suggest Halberd, Lylat Cruise. Halberd gives us an much easier way of landing kill moves and they will kill earlier. Lylat is really good if you know how to use Platform Canceling effectively in my opinion. Plus keeping MK above you on platforms is also a perk. MK will try to stay in the air and bait you into doing something stupid here but honestly you have a lot of good options for using these. Auto Canceled Dairs rock here. And if MK tries to take you on the ground, its even pretty much.

Neutrals: Go for Lylat first. Ban Yoshi's first. The rest of the stages are all "meh" BF and Smashville are decent for us. I like Final Destination because I feel like we can live really long here and retreat better when things get hairy. Personal playstyle leans me towards Castle Siege. I guess if I had to list the stages in order from best to worst(IMO) it goes:

Lylat > FD >Siege >BF/SV> PS1>YI

I'll post more later even though I just wrote an essay...lol

Doc King

Smash Lord

Oh I see some MKs lurking...;)
Sorry about that, ok I'll do that next time. and lol mk lurkers. I think we should do Wario next because I got some interesting stuff about the matchup I wanna tell you guys. Either Wario, Snake, Yoshi, Sonic, or Lucario can make a good new matchup discussion.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Still, Doc King, I feel we should either go in order, or do hard to easy.

Even though ICs is bad, I'd rather discuss Falco next, because after MK, pocket Falcos wreck me and I don't see a lot of ICs.

Back to MK-

@Technical Chase
How far away are you talking? Because I'm thinking to toss of Waddles, you have to have like, the entire stage in between, because I know Tornado can punish Waddle Toss from a preeeetty good distance. Also, important thing to note, Gordos totally beat tornado. :v

And another question, has any Dedede master PSC and use it on a MK? Because I think it would help a lot, especially in killing him.

ZTD | TECHnology

Pretty damn far. I mean you don't have to have an entire stage length between you but yes it needs to be far as Tornado and Dash Grab cover a lot of distance.

BUT

You can often times bait the MK to try to punish your Waddle Dee Toss if you use it at mid-long range. If they rush in and you know you can react...free Up-Tilt ;)

ZTD | TECHnology

Not really...I like it up close because its fast and it gets MK out of our space but MK's ground moves outrange it.

Also theres no documented usage of any DDDs using Powershield Canceling against MK (it would be godly). its something on my to do list.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
For MK specifically, I really just wanna learn the Cancel into up-tilt, I just need to get an MK to spam Nado for me...

Shame D-tilt doesn't outspace anything, I like that move...I need to go test some stuff out on MK.

Doc King

Smash Lord
It's a lot of mks air combos that make this matchup fairly hard for dededes. Although it's not too bad since dedede several nado punishers and stuff.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It's very hard to land against Metaknight in this MU. Good thing to practice whenever you have the chance is landing. Also definitely watch out for shuttle loop.

Also recover HIGH. I don't care what anyone says, you stand a far better chance recovering high. You recover low, all it takes is a shuttle loop and you're back offstage, or even worse, if you delay the super jump, DAir gimps are likely.

Coney

Smash Master
recover high and they can chase you up there and uair>tornado you high, killing you SUPER early

recover low and you waste your jumps, forcing yourself to upb into his shuttle loop again and again

it's best to mix it up between the two and always consider the option of recovering at the veeery height of your jump. learn the distance and practice it. if you can upb and minimize your falling time, you'll land on the ground without losing your invulnerability from your ascent. recover very low and upb at the perfect distance to just kinda slide on the ground rather than land on it

Doc King

Smash Lord
Yeah Dedede has some hard time landing without getting comboed so much and/or punished. I think it might be best if you recovber high and immediately just air dodge so you dodge the uair combos from mk.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, basically recovering high is best, but you can't let yourself get predictable. Predictability will lose you the match.

ZTD | TECHnology

You mean using it to avoid getting chased? I would not do that. Metaknight punishes the ending lag of that move pretty easily in any scenario.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Can we shield the tornado from up close? Because i've tried shielding it almost as soon as MK uses it but i still get hit with like the last couple of hits.

ZTD | TECHnology

You have to tilt your shield accordingly but it is possible to shield the entire thing. Though if you aren't perfect with it, you will get shield poked and take a few hits. If the MK decides to back off for a second (in an attempt to bait you into Up-Tilting or something laggy) you can roll back (its actually pretty quick) and get a better position or force the MK to retreat and reset the situation.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Umm... just saying here:

Why are we STILL discussing this matchup?
We set this matchup in stone in 2009 already.

At this point in the metagame, there's no way the matchup will ever change even 1% in our favor considering how many times us old school people played against Meta Knight; and that's a ton of times.

Meta Knight will win every time unless the Meta Knight DOESN'T know what he's doing.
If he knows what to do, he'll win every time.
We have a CHANCE to win if Meta Knight doesn't know how to play against King Dedede.
That's all.

ZTD | TECHnology

I am going to make a last ditch effort to get the MK boards in here. After that we are moving on and summarizing this all. I believe weve established this MU is ***.

:phone:

ZTD | TECHnology

They're kinda dead but more so lazy if anything. I mean I can live with the info we have now to be honest. Only people like me are crazy enough to willingly attempt this MU anyway...lol

:phone:

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Well, for what I have experiencied, Dthrow will put MK on the floor and they like to just stay up and shuttle loop for the invincibility frames. DDD can grab him just as he stays up. Ohhh and Dthrow to Fsmask is a nice mix up, I have killed MK´s @ 20% before hittin with this, of course, use it near the ledge so he cant do nothing :)

∫unk

Smash Master
d-throw doesn't put mk on the floor. mk can hold up and buffer ad into anything (f-tilt is common) and own you. you still have a frame trap but it's not very reliable... i would suggest pummel + b-throw in most situations.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Lightweights don't get comboed into the down throw. I think it's best to fight a mk by using a lot of b throws because you're safe on the ground and it does pretty good damage for a quicker move. Also use the up tilt a lot to punish tornado and kill mk early.

ZTD | TECHnology

IMO:

B-Throw (when it does 14-17%) > Down-Throw + attempted follow up or guaranteed F-Tilt > F-Throw> Up-Throw in this MU.

Okay I am going summarize this one up in a bit.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I think the main reason why the b throw is better than the d throw in this matchup is because of mk's very quick attacks like the shuttle loop and mk can just DI out of the tech chase so you can't combo mk.

Top Bottom