• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Metaknight Banned Kansas City National Tournament

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Preface: If this turns into a thread on the merits of keeping/banning metaknight and any related arguments, the mods should close this thread at their convenience. Do not start arguing that here, that's not with this thread is for.

For those of you who don't know, I've slowly become the main Brawl TO in the Kansas City area. One of the things that I envision for my community is holding a National level tournament at some point, possibly over a two or three day span in November or December.

I could have multiple sponsors lined up behind this venture that could lead to player participation packages, events featuring other fighters and FPS games, and bonus pots ranging from the $200-500+ range for both Brawl and Melee respectively depending on number of pre-registrations.

Personally, I am undecided either way on the MK issue, but that's besides the point. However, I want to also help advance the community in developing rulessets as well as making my event different and not "just another national". At this point, I intend to host it as a Unity Rulesset Event, but I have begun contemplating making it a Metaknight banned tournament with all of the perks listed above if this can draw enough national level interest.

So if your region is at all interested in attending such a large scale tournament that is solely metaknight banned, please state your interest here. Again, the intention isn't to start a flame war or giant theorycraft argument on Metaknight, so don't start arguing about Metaknight. I'm just doing some research on viability so I can get back to possible sponsors on semi-concrete numbers.

Interested Players/Regions:

Atlantic North
Alex Strife
Atomsk
Bizkit047
ch33s3
Chibo
LordXav1er

Canada
Ally
DarkISDA
HolyNightmare
Patches
Supreme Dirt

Colorado
-Ran

Florida
TheSaintKai

Georgia
Player-1
Scatz

Illinois
DLA
Oreo(Excel)
Zwarm

Iowa
Yink

Kansas
Boomer3d
DeLux
Dnyce
MJG
Stealth Raptor

Minnesota
Napzzz

Missouri
Doraneko
Linkz17
Ripple
Saffy

Nebraska
MegaRobMan
Trent

Oklahoma
Sonic Storm
Triforce of Chozo

Washington
Praxis

Interesed but can't come :(
Bionic
da Kid
Deltacod
eschemat
FOUREYES
M@v
Serris
Soren
zer0.

-Ran

Smash Master
It's a nine hour drive from Denver. I'm interested, and I'm sure I'd be able to get others to be in the state since we've just banned Meta Knight. Dallas would probably be interested as well, since the Phase Tournaments have MK banned as well. It's mostly going to be a matter of how many people + the timeline.

ChKn

Smash Ace
It's about 800 miles for most of the people in LA. I'll post this link in the thread and see if anyone's interested. Depends on the timing obviously.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm interested to attend, but it highly depends on whether I'll have to work the weekend you host this.

Scatz

Smash Champion
GA. I know some people that would be happy to attend with MK gone.

DeLux

Added both of you guys :)

Spread the word everyone

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I think some of the OK players would be interested in something like this, myself included. The others don't really have an opinion about MK, and I myself would like him banned solely because I'm interested in how the metagame would develop without him and nothing else. I'd have to get a date for this though, and talk with the others about the idea, because if they don't want to go, I won't since I'm not going alone.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I like this. I fully support the event and its purpose. Unless it becomes a big national though, I probably won't be able to attend. Guess it depends on when you intend on hosting it.

M@v

Subarashii!
I wouldn't be able to come; its waaay too far. Buy I really like the idea. I hope this picks up steam.

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
When I saw this one MK get 6stocked by an Ike, I thought the same thing.

DeLux

Please take the banter somewhere else please

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm drunk and haven't read anything, but if Lux is going to throw an ANti-MK tournament, I'll be happy...but

I think everyone should be forced to play secondaries. Seriously. Banning MK is dumb (other than double MK in dubs, who needs to see 4 MK's on screen at once?). My Marth/Luigi vs everyone else's non D3 ALT. No Mk's since he's banned/drunk/Lux is awesome.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Events like this should happen more often. We would see more diversity in play and be able to collect data about how the metagame re-shapes itself when Meta Knight is out of the picture. I wouldn't be able to go, but I fully support the idea and think you should go ahead with it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Events like this should happen more often. We would see more diversity in play and be able to collect data about how the metagame re-shapes itself when Meta Knight is out of the picture. I wouldn't be able to go, but I fully support the idea and think you should go ahead with it.
100% this. People need to start hosting more mk banned tournaments so there's a significant impact. If people see how many people are going to mk banned tourneys, opinions WILL change.

Delux, I'm going to make a thread about this. I've been inspired :D

DeLux

I'm willing to help gather the data via a tournament, we just gotta show as a community there's interest for it via this thread :)

DeLux

If you threw a Dart at the United States and hit dead center, you'd end up pretty much where KC is :)

M@v

Subarashii!
The only thing that worries me about this tourney is the location. I don't know how the bloody hell I'd get to Kansas City.

/notenglishatall

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm drunk and haven't read anything, but if Lux is going to throw an ANti-MK tournament, I'll be happy...but

I think everyone should be forced to play secondaries. Seriously. Banning MK is dumb (other than double MK in dubs, who needs to see 4 MK's on screen at once?). My Marth/Luigi vs everyone else's non D3 ALT. No Mk's since he's banned/drunk/Lux is awesome.
Drunk MegaRobMan speaks for sober MegaRobMan, but I completely forgot I posted in this thread.

But I have a problem with banning MK in singles, it's just going to make the game even gayer, most people are just going to pick up D3/Falco because they are easy and can **** most the cast with no real bad matchups anymore. Infinite's, pseudo infinite (ala pika on spacies) and 0-death spikes are more broken than MK. Good players will probably flock to Diddy and Wario, super nerdy technical players IC's, but D3 will become the overplayed Akuma character without MK.

If you threw a Dart at the United States and hit dead center, you'd end up pretty much where KC is :)
You mean Nebraska?

Edit:
Preface: If this turns into a thread on the merits of keeping/banning metaknight and any related arguments, the mods should close this thread at their convenience. Do not start arguing that here, that's not with this thread is for.

Again, the intention isn't to start a flame war or giant theorycraft argument on Metaknight, so don't start arguing about Metaknight. I'm just doing some research on viability so I can get back to possible sponsors on semi-concrete numbers.
Oh, my bad.

Tesh

Smash Hero
D3 and Falco would have no real bad matchups? DDD beats like... 2 good characters? He gets trashed by ZSS, Olimar, Falco etc. Falco has some things to worry about but I would expect most people to flock to Snake or Marth, as they are easier to pick up.

DeLux

These things have nothing to do with a possible KC National Event that is MK Banned

Stop it Rob and Tesh

DeLux

My goal is to get 100 players interested in coming to the event, not just the idea of an MK banned tournament, so I can pitch it to sponsors as evidence.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm very interested, but I just don't know it would be feasible for me to come. It's certainly a possibility.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Would this be in Kansas City , MO? Or Kansas City, KS?

Either way I'd attend if I had a carpool. So put me down for interest and you can put me down for Springfield, MO.

I'd also be willing to donate towards the pot.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm interested, and looking at potentially making Brainshock Gamma MK banned.

Saffy

Smash Ace
I made up my mind, If this does happen I would be more than happy to

1) Donate atleast $200 to the pot. Most likely the most I would donate would be $300 though. Still that is extremely alot.

2) Bring cookies and/or chips for everyone.

3) Give out unlimited hugs. ♥

DeLux

How big is the smash scene in Kansas(in terms of people)?
It's split between Wichita and KC to be honest. The notables from Wichita being Domo, Zeton, Mr. Doom, Holmes. The notables from KC being MJG, Fino, and kind of Stealth Raptor and myself.

Outside of that we're starting to put together groups of new people in KC. Not so sure for the Wichita area.

I made up my mind, If this does happen I would be more than happy to

1) Donate atleast $200 to the pot. Most likely the most I would donate would be $300 though. Still that is extremely alot.

2) Bring cookies and/or chips for everyone.

3) Give out unlimited hugs. ♥
PM or Skype me Saffy and let's work something out on this :D

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
I would definitely like a tourney like this (in fact I'd like all tourney like this but that's besides the point). Sadly, this seems kind of far (canada, québec), so yeah don't know if I could be able to go.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Lux, I can help with basic advertising for this event (whenever it'll be hosted), by creating logos and sigs and things like that.

If you're interested of course.

Top Bottom