• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Melee had a rotation-based game mode a la CvS2?

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So I was thinking, how would you like it if there was a game-mode in Melee where you and your opponent pick multiple characters (say, 4 characters for a 4 stock match) and they each come out in order after every stock is lost. So one team could be Fox-Jiggs-Falco-Luigi for example, and another could be Marth-Sheik-Yoshi-Pikachu. If Marth kills Fox, Jiggs comes in the next stock. If Jiggs kills Marth, Sheik comes in. You can make modifications to your team order if you want midmatch; just press R on the respawn platform to scroll through your remaining characters.

I think it'd be pretty beast. So much so that I wonder if its possible to mod something that drastic in (I highly doubt it).

You could artificially do that in a tournament format I suppose by having multiple 1 stock matches where the winner keeps their character. The %s wouldn't carry over though, and that'd suck, so I don't think that would be a very fun format.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Ministry be mad cause that'd mean his Sheik only gets to play for 1 stock a game :o

Whatchu gonna do when I rotate Jiggs in for the counterpick? Marth anchor all day everyday babay.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Do you mean like the next match proceeds with the percent staying the same or the same match continues with the next character spawning in place of the previous one? Both of these are cool ideas but then this would have to be a separate event like Doubles and tourneys would have to run singles, doubles, crews, and rotation which seems like a bit of a hassle.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Do you mean like the next match proceeds with the percent staying the same or the same match continues with the next character spawning in place of the previous one? Both of these are cool ideas but then this would have to be a separate event like Doubles and tourneys would have to run singles, doubles, crews, and rotation which seems like a bit of a hassle.
Spawning in place of the previous one. And the order you pick characters on the selection screen doesn't matter because you can cycle through your characters on the spawn platform between stocks.

Not the same thing at all lol.

That could set up automatic crew battles.
Yup.

Another idea, different than the one mentioned before, is to have crew battles but in 1v1s. Like you have your 3 characters vs. another person's 3 characters. So you'd each lead with a character (say your Marth vs. his Fox), and have a normal 4 stock match after stage striking. Lets say your Marth gets 1 stocked. Now you'd counterpick with one of your 2 remaining characters against his 1 stock Fox. And so on until one of you has no characters left.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why do that when you can pick Jigglypuff and win?

Bones0

Smash Legend
This would be soooooo sick.

Falco/Marth/Fox team. Get at my originality.

You could also do a bunch of different versions like having one top, one mid, and one bottom tier character. Like I would use: Falco/Mario/Ness

Obviously this could also be used for crew battles. If it's crews of 5 people, just put it on 20 stock and every 4 stocks people change. It'd be pretty intense because crews would have to choose who goes next before their invincibility runs out. lol

Tekk

Smash Lord
Another idea, different than the one mentioned before, is to have crew battles but in 1v1s. Like you have your 3 characters vs. another person's 3 characters. So you'd each lead with a character (say your Marth vs. his Fox), and have a normal 4 stock match after stage striking. Lets say your Marth gets 1 stocked. Now you'd counterpick with one of your 2 remaining characters against his 1 stock Fox. And so on until one of you has no characters left.
It's a "common" freeplay practice here, and yeah it's pretty amazing. :)

Top Bottom