• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move X - Congratulations winners! MYMXI start date OCTOBER 10TH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Guess who has two thumbs and caused a fight between Warlord and Rool?

*points thumbs at self* THIS GUY!

Continue...

half_silver28

Smash Ace
STUPIDLY BIG HEADER EVERYONE WILL PAY ATTENTION TO

This is a reminder to anyone who hasn't send in nominations for the MYM awards to go ahead and PM them to me. The nomination period ends at Midnight EST on Sunday the 18th. You can find the list of categories here.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Vlad Plasmius

So. Vlad. Right, most of you think I'm crazier than Rool on a Tuesday(that's his designated rant day, in case you don't know) for liking this set, but I've got my reasons. You might be thinking that since Vlad uses duplicates, he's a carbon copy of literally every other goddamned set in this contest. While I do in fact hate the amount of duplicate-based sets in this MYM, Vlad was basically the first of the contest - the metaphorical earthquake to the duplicate tsunami that wrecked MYM like it was Japan or something.

Enough with the pointless banter though; Vlad's appeal stems from his ability to control his opponent directly whilst still maintaining mastery over his own duplicates, who can all attack. Many moves, such as the Neutral Special, give you a choice; you can spread out many duplicates and lock the foe down, or keep it to yourself and use a power attack. But in my opinion, what really differentiates Vlad from the rest of the duplicate-spammers of the contest is that he is actually affected by his duplicates; he can't just throw them out and leave them, nor are they just for show. They are entirely interact-able and can attack.

Now, he has his downsides; typical of DM sets, there are some rather generic attacks, but it's clear MW came in where he saw fit and changed things around. Still, it's not a huge problem for me, as the moves DO work well with Vlad's playstyle and his duplicates, and nothing is too out of place or terrible. Overall, you might not LOVE this set, but I don't think there is any real reason to HATE it, which some of you seem to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gallade

I really don't understand the...well not really hate, but complete ignorance of this set. Nobody seems to know it exists, and if they do, they don't say anything about it. I can see the reasoning behind this; at first glance, Gallade seems like a typical generic rushdown set, but there's a lot more depth to this gallant guardian than that. Steadfast adds to Gallade's overall playstyle by starting him off as a sort of wary practitioner of the "camping" arts, and slowly transforming him into a fast-paced, pressuring combo fiend. Take Magical Leaf for instance - at the start of your stock, you'll be using this move to keep foes away; stop them from dealing TOO much damage to you in too short a time. However, once your damage racks up, the move turns into a formidable approach and pressure technique! Things like Future Sight also help to break down camping foes, which is a problem many pressure-focused sets have no answer to.

To put it shortly, Gallade's got enough tricks up his sleeve...blade...hooves to make him stand out from other pressure sets, and make him a formidable entry into this MYM. In my opinion, he's better than Warlord gives him credit for, and is a very respectable Super Vote contestant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMASTAR

How in hell has nobody advertised this yet? Look, it's an Agi set. First in about seventeen years, I really shouldn't have to say much else. However I will, because I do have to say much else for this to count as an advertisement. Agi leaps back into the MYMing glory with the Spiral Pokemon, and does it justice. Now, really, it's kind of odd that Omastar uses Bubble and a couple of other moves, but Agi worked them well and to me, that covers for the weird choices. As Agi himself says, you can play Omaster a couple different ways; a slow-paced, lazy son of an *** snail, or a more rushdown-style set that focuses on shoving spikes into every open orifice. And some closed ones. Now, if you know me, you know I like versatility, the bane of MW's existence. Well, if you like it too, this set offers it for sure, and it's not one to pass up, either way. Even if you just adore Kabutops(which you have every reason to, don't get me wrong), you can still share summa dat luv with big daddy Omastar here. And you should. Because he deserves it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Doing this all in one block so I don't have to worry about whether I forgot to remember to complete the rest of my ads at some point in the future. Also, I am now eligible to vote. Better start prayin or hopin or drinkin, whichever you choose.

wolfgang92

Smash Rookie
My next set will be ...........

Magneto from Marvel Comics!! I know not everyone in smash are have metal on them, but I got a special move like the iron blood from X2 that can give him metal to use. I'm going to work super hard on him and improve so hopefully you will like it more than my Black Ops set :)

an just so you know I haven't played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or 3 so I wont be using them as source material. I might look up some vids, tho, in case they have an idea I don't. don't expect it to be a whole like the game's version of Magneto tho.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Drilldozer
So Drilldozer acts like a bigger Bowser, with greater damage output, more lag, and better range. Turbine Drill gives him a pretty nice way to pump up his drill attacks, as well as fueling his through-the-stage recovery. Lava Launcher works well as either a projectile or an obstacle that can force foes to jump into any of Drilldozer's insanely strong attacks. Combined with Claw Blade (which should've been named something else, since it's not really a claw attack so much as an energy shot, but that's not a big deal), you have some nice control options that can help pressure an opponent into making a mistake and falling into another attack. And we all know Drilldozer only needs a few of those to get a KO.

Other than those Specials, the set is unfortunately what I said it was first: a bigger, stronger, slower Bowser. The majority of the moves involve him either swinging or stabbing with his drill, and only a few have anything interesting added on, like the crater he can make with his Dash Attack. Speaking of that, there are two key pieces of info that I feel are misplaced in this set. The first is the statement "By the way, have you ever tried to fill your burrows with lava?" Putting it in the Dash Attack made sense, as that move made a crater, but so did the DSpecial before it, so you should have included that interaction there since it came first. Not only that, but making craters and filling them with lava could've given Drilldozer a much more interesting option of stage control, but it's just casually mentioned here, and not even discussed in the playstyle section (assuming that line about zoning with lava pools was referring to the non-crater lava left behind by a missed Side Special).

The second misplacement is in the USmash. You randomly mentioned that the flame/smoke that comes outta the back of the drill can deal damage, and yet other moves prior to that had the flame/smoke effect. You described what the drill did the first move that it was an actual attack, so you should have also said what the flames/smoke did in the first move that you mentioned it (I believe that was the Dash Attack?) This one's not as big of a deal as the other, as it was a simple misplacement, while the lava thing was missed potential IMO.

Other than those two things, this moveset was okay. It had some interesting stuff in the Lava Launcher and Turbine Drill, as well as the whole stage-control thing, but some of the other moves were kinda generic. Still, if this set was in Brawl, I'd play it. It seems like it'd be an fun set to actually play as (and really, that's what it should all be about, right?).

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
DARKMEGA

by

DARTHMEANIE

DarkMega was Meanie's last set before leaving for law school, and it was a fitting sorta-finale. DarkMega is built on the idea of an extremley broken character who's punished if he abuses his most overpowered moves too much. For example, he can near-instantly heal all of his damage, but then his damage starts to passively increase. Eventually it would get to the point where he'd have to perform his healing move constantly to stay alive, making him vulnerable to being KO'd from anything his opponent throws at him. DarkMega combines this brokenness theme into a fun stage-control playstyle, being able create swamps and black holes to empower his attacks. Despite having some pretty cool move interactions DarkMega is still able to strike a good balance with simplicity, giving the set a kind of universal appeal.

BladeKnight420

Smash Rookie
Can’t thank you enough for that review on the Stadium, Davidreamcatcha. You pointed out a lot of flaws in my moveset, most specifically with how some of my mindgame intentions didn’t work out as well as I’d hoped and some of the redundancy on my moves. I just kind of struggled getting material for Trixie because she only appears in one episode and I didn’t want her using that much magic she doesn’t use, while Twilight has the whole series to draw from. I put in almost everything that she actually does at the start. She doesn’t do all of the physical stuff in the set, though, so maybe I should have been a bit more willing with taking creative liberties, eh? I did want her to be able to make use of the lightning from usmash regardless of where she is, though, and that’s why the fair and fthrow are kinda redundant. Because she only has 5 seconds to use it, I didn’t want her to miss out on a chance to throw it out. Looking back, I could’ve probably made the ways she used it more different, like with the utilt.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about balance. The cloud in particular needs to be buffed, though who lets themselves stay in an infinite jab lock for 5 seconds? When you said they’d take 25% from it when talking about the utilt, that’s kind of what you implied. On detail, I thought I included most of what everybody else does in this thread, even the leaders. Most of them don’t talk about lag very often, even you from what I’ve read of your movesets, though stuff like the cloud’s size I should’ve put in, yeah.

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. I’ll do my best to improve Trixie so she’s not such an embarrassment in comparison to the other ponies before MYM 11. Who knows? Maybe I’ll even make another moveset.

Now I should probably stop hogging the spotlight when my moveset doesn’t even count this MYM. Hopefully a few comments can make up for that, right?

Twilight: I really like how Twilight has such direct control over her projectiles in this moveset. Even her grab sort of qualifies as a projectile, and while you can’t manipulate it with other moves it’s already manipulatible in and of itself. I also really like how Twilight’s grab lets her move enemies around by bringing them to force fields, and that other throw that has them switch places with her. It’s some really clever ways for Twilight to get the spacing she needs, a lot more so than the simple spacing things I came up for in Trixie. One thing I’m unsure of is just how useful her barriers are outside a place to take the foe to, seeing Twilight isn’t that good of a close combat fighter, but the barriers have great uses outside that anyway so it’s hard to complain. Great job!

Rainbow Dash: I really like how you take advantage of Rainbow Dash constantly moving in this set. Of all the ponies, the grab where she makes the enemy ride her feels best implemented here. Not only can she use it to take enemies off the stage, but she’s fully equipped to prevent them from making it back afterwards. It’s a really great way to show her character, though she seems way too overpowered for Smash Bros. Not only can she use that all that momentum for offense, she can use it to flee while hitting foes from afar with those clouds! I like the versatility this adds to her moveset, considering at first glance she seems so offensive, but I’m not sure if it’s really all that much in her character to be running away. That’s just a little alternate option for her, though, so I can’t fault you for it too much, when you even have the ftilt in there to show how she’s a prankster.

Looking at the other commenters over the past few pages on the moveset, Warlord’s most stuck out. I haven’t read this moveset he keeps on comparing it too (Even in those wacky Koopa Kid comments), but you guys seem to have been at this for quite some time, so it’s probably pretty unfair to dismiss it just for being so similar to one moveset. Glancing at the Stadium, it’s not even in this MYM contest. None the less, I’ll read this Burter just to see with my own eyes. Not like I can vote in this contest.

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie’s overall goals feel a lot fuzzier than those in Twilight, though in my opinion it works better for her character, seeing she’s so unstable, it’s fitting her moveset is to some degree. All of the various items Pinkie brings out to attack with help also with this feel in the moveset, even though it might come across as a cop-out if this was a different character. As for her actual moveset, I like the traps she can use, but my favorite part is how she can carry around the traps on her tail with dsmash (It was actually the inspiration for Trixie’s usmash and her horn attacks), as well as other ways to carry Gummy around. I don’t really like the balloon aspect of her game, seeing I don’t think Trixie is well enough equipped to prevent the enemy from going off the top blast zone. That, and all of the traps she lays on the stage can’t be taken advantage of then. What I think the set could really use is a way to swing the tail with the traps on at the foe in the air specifically.

Also, just what’s going on with that “Final Smash”? I saw “Gigaskhan” mentioned in another Final Smash I read on Clayface, is it some sort of meme within the community or something?

I’ll comment the rest of the ponies later (As well as Burter), but they seem to be among the most commented movesets at the time. Instead, I’ll take the Batman movesets for now.

Two Face: This moveset is definitely taking a different approach than most of the other movesets I’ve read, in that it’s trying to be simple enough to fit in seamlessly with the other Brawlers. All of the mentions of frame data in the moveset and similar things certainly make it seem that way, but I don’t think they contribute that much to helping me picture the moveset. I’d say this is probably the best approach to go with Two Face, considering there’s not all that much he can do. The mindgame you introduce in the first two Specials in the moveset is quite interesting, though I find it slightly strange that he doesn’t care about the result of the coin flip, the explanation you came up with was good enough. Him stealing Batman’s grappling hook on the other hand…Yes, it’s just one move, but it sticks out when you keep Two Face so simple for the rest of the set, you know? The main thing I like about the moveset is how Two Face has to alternate between offensive and defensive, fleeing away to get a coin flip power boost or fake them out for a free hit, then coming in on the offensive to use the power boost. It’s a good hit and run thing you’ve got going here, and he has enough options for both parts of it to work.

Clayface: I’m not sure how I feel about KOing the foe enemy outside sending them off the blast zone, but Clayface will rarely actually pull that off anyway, so it’s more a side issue. I do like how Clayface plays with the foe as they try to exit his body, bringing them inside himself just to send them out somewhere else to better position them. Once he has enough clay spread about the stage, and uses up all his mass, he can become them and all the clay he wasted won’t matter! The mindgames introduced with confusing the foe as to who as who are some of the cooler parts of the set, though that’s not to say I didn’t like the gimping game as well. To tell you the truth, this moveset is the main reason I’ve decided to actually go look up Burter. My main complaint is I feel Clayface is very overpowered, as all of his moves that use clay as ammo for the downside are rendered moot when he can just turn into the enemy afterwards. Sure, he takes 1% every half a second, but if he gets into any real trouble damage wise he can just turn back to his old self and re-absorb the clay. A 13/10 weight stat isn’t anything to kid around about when combined with how hard it is to stun the big guy. I’d suggest just increasing the amount of damage he takes while in the enemy’s form.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Gigaskhan was an absolutely terrible idea for a final smash that one of the top movesetters used once in a set. It was later brought back in another set by him, and it was so random that it was immortalized. Now people occasionally use Gigaskhan for the final smash if they rush it.

Also, I very much enjoy seeing someone so new creating some rather indepth comments. Seriously, stick around.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace

Yes, I'm advertising this. No, you may not object. Anyway, MODOK is an example of a Marvel vs. Capcom moveset done right, seeing as his attacks aren't 100% copypasta from the game, like earlier Smashbot works like Haggar. The playstyle comes together much clearer than Haggar as well, having a decent playstyle revolving mainly around MODOK's unique flight mode and improving your attacks with Analyze Cubes. MODOK wants to fill the screen with nefarious devices such as Balloon Bombs and barriers, so as to compensate for his large size. The set does come together fairly well, though there are a few hiccups here and there. This doesn't mean much, however, when MODOK is by far Smashbot's best solo set this contest. MODOK is more than worthy of appearing on any votelist.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
EED Soldier:
(Advertisement, in case that isn't clear)
Where to start with this set? Well, JOE sets the tone early in this one with his first move being able to BREAK THE STAGE IN HALF. That's right, this is essentially a sandbox set, but with the sandbox being the entire stage! Break it into tiny pieces, punch those pieces all over the stage, weld them back together as you see fit... To add to the fun, you can also create stalagmites (read: Rock spikes) and patches of sand to manipulate in various ways. At its root, it's a rather simple idea, but that doesn't detract from how awesome it is, and it's pulled off very well. EED Soldier is very deserving of a spot on your vote list, and should definitely be considered for a super vote.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Saving the meaty best for last...

From the little I've seen in the writing department of Smash World Forums and know about him from his blogs, Chris Lionheart is a writer at heart. He's also a MYMer. When these and dormant ideas came together they created an Original Character from the heart that was born from experiences in life, the epitome of the mind.

Based on the standards and expectations of Make Your Move, it takes a -LOT- of guts for someone to put -THIS- much love and effort into a set let alone make it one for a completely original character born from one's mind. Unlike already existing characters nobody but the creator knows about the Original Character and thus must be informed about all the necessary aspects of them.

There is quite a lot of "extra" aspects to the moveset which one could ALMOST call the "moveset" itself. Most would call it a "fish-out-of-water", but really, the man himself said it: he wants to become a writer, and has been evidently practicing this work. Perhaps the kind of work that is Aidan of work doesn't -fit- in a community like MYM to a T, but think of it not as that. MYMers are friends to each other, right? If that's the case then Chris Lionheart is like a good friend we don't see often who's extended an invitation to us - that invitation is his latest moveset, Aidan of Eander. Accept it but don't deny it, there's power in that little bottle.

Having had his moveset backed down by a portion of MYM, it must have made Lionheart feel rejected. Perhaps not all of us are writers at heart or want to be one, but anyone who's ever wanted to MAKE a moveset for a character they genuinely loved and post it for all to know about on MYM should AT LEAST be able to understand Chris Lionheart.

All and all, Aidan of Eander is a work on it's own. To vote for it is to understand a man's soul, to understand your own. Seeing this set on the Top 50 would be a marvelous tribute to the man named Chris Lionheart.

Smady

Smash Master
advertissments

Nearer the mid-point of the contest, MasterWarlord let loose this monster of a moveset - taking all that he had learned from those private roleplaying sessions into the contest, as he adapted Dodoria from DragonBall Z into a Warlordian original character. The result is King Barbovor. What makes the set so venerable is indeed just how much potential is squeezed out of the character's body alone, making use of Dodoria's spikes as barriers and his dense alien skin as a sponge, while also bringing in completely new elements like Barbovor's belly button spike for the ultimate zoning game as a constant tether to the opponent and his minions who acts as walls on said belly spike. This while entirely avoiding the tropes of DragonBall characters to create a truly original and remarkably characterised moveset, with the typical excellence you'd expect from a Warlord set.

---

As a big fan of Homestuck, it only makes sense that I'd also be a fan of Gamzee, who's the first good set to be made for the web comic. The set borrows the delectable concepts from ForwardArrow's previous sets while gaining an eery and atmospheric presentation which is shocking in a one-day set. Gamzee's playstyle revolves around the expected - the juggling sticks, the horns - but also combines them in fascinating ways that represent the character's more enigmatic side. The set is very straightforward about this, though, making the read a really interesting one, as you start to piece together what at first seems completely disjointed into a great combination of deception and subjuggalation. The approach is simplistic and blunt, reducing the foe to running from harmless harlequin dolls, as they realise there's more to Gamzee than just a juggalo stoner who likes to juggle and honk.

---

Few have soared as high as Nicholas1024 has in just two contests, who has shown great adaptability and persistent activity throughout the contest. No set demonstrates this better than Galaxy Man - playing around with all kinds of crazy creative ideas and bringing them all into something that is altogether overwhelming to contemplate, but still perfectly reasonable because of how explicit each input is within Galaxy Man's playstyle. It's a no-restraint approach that is part-and-parcel of all of Nick's roster of sets in MYMX, cramming in huge amounts of good ideas - the gravity well, black hole bomb and the rebounding laser - but giving intelligent options that allow the player to create a mini-sandbox, without doing anything that's especially unnatural or tacky. This all adds up to a really fun set to read and a blast to imagine actually implemented into Smash.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
BARON K. ROOLENSTEIN​

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12950722&postcount=421

There have been countless K. Rool movesets in the past, many of them by BKupa himself. Progression towards a good K. Rool set has been slow with the likes of Kaptain K. Ombo and the second Kaptain that had no grab, physical attacks, and several attacks stolen from Stanley. Baron, however, does complete justice to not only the persona K. Rool is currently donning, but has him actually make use of all of his muscle mass in the process rather than just making him another Dr. Robotnik or Wily. The actual moveset involves a playstyle based around knocking a foe into a trap, his electric barrier, but it’s a completely customizable one and one that Roolenstein himself can be knocked into, requiring immense strategic play to ensure that it doesn’t backfire. On the ground, Baron can use steel kegs, generate pits, and magnetically attract foes to points on the ground to make them pass by it, while in the air Roolenstein has a variety of spacing options to push foes into it more directly. His throws can even make the victim a bigger target or cause them to float up into a barrier – you call them random status effects on the throws? Even Kholdstare is doing those things now. In any case, Roolenstein has the most varied ways of play in MYM 10 with his sheer options and customizability of his centerpiece move. He doesn’t do it with a bunch of Brawl attacks to throw it out at random, and more importantly he has versatility without resorting to the mass mindgames that have swamped this contest with all of the invisibility and duplicates about.

MR. BANBOLLOW​

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13079447&postcount=557

Banbollow may be a lengthy read, but Smady just has so much to talk about in the set that if Roonahu wrote it while having to keep all the concepts in it wouldn’t be much prettier. Rather than tons of interactions within interactions, Banbollow’s moves are new ways in which to use the wire attaching his flamethrower nozzle to his gas canister, it becoming his deadliest weapon as he pops holes in it to cause leaks and as he stomps his foot down on it to make clusters in the bottle up and be forced to go in the opposite direction. Of course, Banbollow also has a variety of moves to swing about this wire of his, or, you know, actually shoot fire out the end. Banbollow even manages to have a boss set – while Banbollow can grab multiple foes at once, the real draw is the length of his wire increases even further, giving him even fodder to play with in a ranged boss playstyle far better than the simplistic boss camping introduced first in Dormammu.

MR. MIME​

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13329730&postcount=906

Advertising two Smady sets you say? I respond with the fact this is a joint between Smady and Nick, and I can say I prefer it to any of Nick’s very respectable solo outings this contest without even thinking about it. While one might think Smady’s the one doing all the work, the things he does in the moveset are the Specials, which involve obvious stage control for the character, as well as a mime box grab-game that you’d expect. Nick is left to actually manipulate the foundation of the moveset in the later inputs, the hard work.

So why’s the moveset worth your time? It’s the first moveset to have a shield breaking centric playstyle since Super Macho Man, who’s moves all just happened to deal shield damage. Mime can replace the foe’s shield with a grayed out version that meshes with his stage control, merge his shield with the foe’s, and even turn shields into hitboxes of sorts. Perhaps best of all, Mime gives the foe far more incentive to shield than just lingering hitboxes by bringing in several overly powerful moves that are best countered by shielding. This isn’t a one trick pony like Macho Man either – there is previously mentioned stage control as Mr. Mime absorbs all color from it, just as he did in his actual appearance, as well as all the more invisibility. Even the invisibility manages to feel somewhat fresh with a handful of ideas that no other invisibility set has done, such as Mime finding out his location on demand (Without the enemy knowing) via portal recovery and causing the foe to start spreading Mime’s black and white world wherever they walk, making them think Mime’s nearby.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Burter
Rainbow Dash​

Rainbow Dash was posted along with a huge group of ponies way back on Page 58. Of said ponies, I'll give Fluttershy credit where credit is due, but Rainbow Dash is easily the best. The set has a very fast paced offensive game going on, sprinting around the stage and dragging foes along with her while bouncing off her clouds and gracefully moving through the air. Now I know what you're thinking. Isn't Rainbow Dash just MT's take on Burter? Well the answer to that question is no. You see, Rainbow Dash is unique in that she provides a fun high quality set that can be picked and played with by new people, who would probably find her a lot of fun to play. There's also a ton of personality here that even I found infectious, and I DON'T like My Little Pony. Really, Rainbow Dash is worthy of a read, and certainly a vote, even if you happen to hate ponies. Because I don't like 'em either, but it really doesn't detract from the set.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace

For my final ad, let's look at the first set of the contest: Spider-Man by Nicholas1024. Not only is this the first set of the contest, this is the set where Nick began to show his talent as a moveset maker; the set being leaps and bounds over his shallow MYM9 works such as The Soldier and Obi-Wan. The set takes the simple concept of Spider-Man's webbing and turns it into an interaction-heavy playground, allowing ol' webhead to climb along it, tug it, dragging foes on it, the examples keep going on and on. This is largely due to almost every one of Spidey's moves based on fun little interactions with his webbing, such as spinning it around himself. While it may seem somewhat OOC for every one of Spidey's moves to involve webbing, Nick does manage to make it seem in-character. Spider-Man marks a major point in Nick's career and shouldn't be looked over in favor of later sets like Galaxy Man and Concrete Man. Now, get me some votelists! Votelists with Spider-Man on 'em! I need to count how many people in this damned contest are menaces.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
THE IRON GIANT

by

BLACKFOX

Fitting that I can only find massive pics to use for the ad, eh?

The Iron Giant was the first moveset brought to use by Blackfox, and he already demonstrated a solid grasp of what goes into a moveset. The Iron Giant has access to all the epic weapons he used in the finale of the movie, but only when his opponent proves themself to be a sufficient threat. When not launching nukes, the Iron Giant can use his natural size for some impressive ranged melee attacks, even launching his own hand on a cable to grab foes from across the stage! Heck, his flight abilities allow such an ultra-heavyweight to have a legitimate air game too!

The only true "flaw" in the moveset was the hilariously-poor lag times for most of the attacks, but this turned out to be nothing more than a simple misunderstanding the author's part, and in any case are nothing that a simple number edit can't fix. Even with the lag times it's still easy to understand what Blackfox is going for in the moveset, which is a pretty fun take on what is close to a literal walking tank.

mentholcase

Smash Cadet
I'd like to add a little bit on to that. If you haven't seen the movie The Iron Giant, please take a couple minutes to watch at least these specific parts of a YouTube video that will be linked momentarily, and then tell me you wouldn't think it would be fun to play as T.I.G. I think playing as him would be like an interesting crossover of Samus (with her space tech), Ganondorf (slow & big, but small compared to TIG), Lucario (stronger with more damage, except instead of simply increasing damage, TIG changes attacks completely)

First watch 0:12 - 1:15
Then 1:22 - 1:38
Finally - 2:58 - 3:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBlweHRITsA

For the lols (one minute twenty-six seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvHmJIm6ws

I tend to shy away from the big & slow characters, but with The Iron Giant, I think I could have fun with this :cool:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
two down, last ad coming soon!

Yorick by Hyper_Ridley

Are you fed up with overly complicated sets with overly complicated moves and heavy detail? Then Yorick’s the set for you! He’s a summons character, but he doesn’t rely on them to do all of the fighting, nor does it take him forever to summon them. He summons them by attacking himself in fact. His slower melee attacks can really put pressure on foes who are constantly being poked by his ghoul summons, who all attack in different ways and intervals, and he can even try for a shield break with his strong attacks if foes keep trying to block the pokes. He can buff up his minions if they’re having trouble or use them to buff his own attacks. And being a canon gravedigger, Yorick can pitfall foes with some moves to make them a sitting duck to be damaged or KOed, figuratively digging the foes’ grave. So if you want to vote an in-your-face set that’s insmash and still very interesting, why not Zoidberg Yorick?

Wario by MasterWarlord

Wario’s become Warlord’s most forgotten or most maligned set this contest, whichever way you want to put it. But Wario still has plenty of merit. He’s a bit more simplistic then the usual MW set, but he’s still got plenty of depth. This is a set for the treasure hunter Wario, not the heavyweight antagonist in general or his Warioware incarnation. Thus he wants to hunt for treasure, and wants to keep the foe out his business. It’s great how MW set up Wario so he can search for treasure and set traps for the foe while at the same time defending himself and keeping the foe away. There are some complaints about how he doesn’t use his brute strength enough: he uses plenty of said strength to force foes into the pitfall traps he makes by digging for treasure and the fire from his dragon hat. Speaking of hats, the jet hat lets him traverse the skies and knock around a foe who is jumping over the traps. When it comes to KOing, Wario’s got a bag that’s hopefully full of coins that he can use to bash them away. If not, he’s got a few throws and his gimping game, and he can even spike foes under the stage through his plentiful pitfalls, where his gimping game becomes much safer and all the more deadly. It’s admirable how MW focused only on treasure hunting and Wario Land 1 for this set, making the Wario he likes most rather that of more recent games. Wario’s one treasure of a set that shouldn’t be left off of your vote list.

BladeKnight420

Smash Rookie
Back with more moveset commentary. First, let’s finish what I started with the ponies.

Applejack: Applejack doesn’t seem to have nearly as much going for her as the other ponies. What you do put in with forcing feeding foes to make them slim down on your apples is a cool concept, though, if uncharacteristic of Applejack. Considering Applejack has all she needs to steal enemies from enemies, I wouldn’t say that much more is needed due to Applejack being such a simple character in comparison to Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie. What really wrecks the set for me though is that you can force feed the foe food and just not spawn an apple cart, meaning they have no way to slim down again. I don’t know how you’d implement that without making it feel very forced. Even when taking Applejack’s character into consideration, the moveset does feel a bit bare bones regardless when her signature is demoted to a mere tilt.

Fluttershy: While I agree with Warlord on how the expected skill level for Pony players comes off slightly insulting to people such as myself, I feel it’s very in-character for her to have such simplistic attacks and do minimal fighting herself –several of her attacks don’t even harm enemies at all! That’s what she has her friends for, though, and how her “attacks” are just ways to essentially “command” them about is a very likable moveset approach. Not that she’s barking out orders or anything, the way you handle it is good, considering the animal friends can even rebel against Fluttershy if she mistreats them. One thing I think should’ve been improved is the animations used to command all of the animal friends, as right now there’s no real indication that she’d be doing so in most of the moves. If you want to talk about designing the moveset for little girl My Little Pony players, I think that’s where you’d need to change the moveset most.

Rarity: Good points have been brought up about this moveset already about how impractical it is to hit with almost every attack in her moveset. While I do indeed like the basic idea, I feel the moveset could’ve used more to it than just that. It could still very much so be central, considering it’s the best way to show Rarity’s character probably. Perhaps some sort of mindgames could be mixed in, since one of the main problems with the set currently is how predictable it is? An air game to actually make use of her wings? I apologize for this comment, I just don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said.

And now we get to the dreaded Burter to finish up this Pony commentary for good, as promised. For the record, yes, I did watch DBZ way back when, and while I’m far from a fan now I did watch most of the Frieza and Android sagas.

Burter: Considering there is literally nothing to Burter’s character outside speed and being pals with Jeice, I’d say a momentum set was definitely the way to go here. I like how Burter is constantly moving in this moveset, retreating past the foe when if he misses them in order to defend his gigantic frame. In addition to the infamous grab you keep comparing to Rainbow Dash, Burter also has similar ways to carry enemies across the stage with his momentum in his jab and fsmash, and more control in general when he has a foe grabbed thanks to his throws. I also prefer Burter’s tornado to Rainbow Dash’s clouds due to it meshing with his offensive style better as Burter brings the foe to the tornado and then actually fights them inside of it. I think I might prefer the part inside the tornado to the actual theme of momentum, with Burter being able to change his position at will and able to attack the enemy regardless of their positions.

Comparing Rainbow’s clouds and the tornado is pretty unfair, with the only real similarity being they’re both traps. That said, Burter’s tornado meshes much better with the overall theme of the two movesets due to Burter having to actually bring the enemy there. Since Rainbow didn’t steal the tornado and went a different way instead with the clouds I’d say they have reason to peacefully co-exist as momentum sets. I prefer Burter for the more focused playstyle, but saying Rainbow ripped off Burter suggests that MarthTrinity wouldn’t make Rainbow Dash a momentum character whether or not it was posted before Burter. It’s pretty much the main thing they both have going for them, why wouldn’t you make either of them this way? Who wants a moveset where Burter is as forgettable as Raditz, or Rainbow Dash can’t back up that attitude of hers with her speed?

On the next exciting episode of my commentary: I tackle the rest of the Ginyu Force for the sake of completion, as well as the Flying Dutchman.

Smady

Smash Master
Eligible to Vote

Smash Daddy
MasterWarlord
n88_2004

MarthTrinity
phatcat203
Katapultar
ForwardArrow
Davidreamcatcha
Hyper_Ridley

This is the current list of those eligible to vote. flyinfilipino, mentholcase, Nicholas1024, BKupa666, Kholdstare and half_silver28 need one more advertisement to vote. HollowKnight and Getocoolaid need two more advertisements to vote. Keep in mind that the advertising week ends at 12AM EST on Monday morning. If you don't get in three advertisements before then, you can't vote, so just be wary of that.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
For me second advertisement, I'd like to point out Team Pedestal by Phatcat. Yes, despite the chat presence that people supposedly hate(although I actually dont mind), Phatcat can produce quality movesets. Team Pedestal centers around the team of
Zachary Jones
, the main character of Pedestal, a Pokemon fanfic that really puts this team through hell. The moveset revolves around
the real superpower of
teamwork, with one of those versatile playstyles that we all love. It
takes itself seriously, and doesn't try to be anything it's not. It's definitely on my vote list.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Garbodor
First a disclaimer: This set is garbage.

Alright, obligatory joke aside, Smady's nth poison type takes the basic concepts of potato head, adds in a healthy dose of stage control, and rounds out the mixture with plenty of trash puns. Basically, Garbodor's head and arms can become separated from his body, and each attack separately, while hiding around in the trash and causing the poison damage on the opponent to continually rise. A bit like Cosmic Spacehead, this is one of Smady's overlooked move sets this contest, which is a shame, despite the occasional move that seems trashily generic outside of his spacing game, this is overall a very solid move set, and deserves a spot on your vote list.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Jenna
Seriously Kibble, it's great to have you back. I'm pretty sure we all missed you. Though to be fair I'm pretty late saying that. Anyway, Jenna here is a decent effort on your part. You still seem a little rusty do to being away from MYM for so long, but this is still pretty darn good for someone who hasn't been with us since MYM5. The main problem though is that this set feels a lot like an MYM5 set. Suffice to say, that's not exactly a good thing 5 contests down the line. I mean, there is playstyle here, but it's at most some fairly basic spacing stuff and managing an ammo bank. I think spacing could be a perfectly legitimate playstyle if someone pulled it off really well, but it's something that I don't think you were even aware was in the moveset. As for ammo banks... well, those are sort of looked down upon now. None-the-less, it's a fun set, and the best implementation of Golden Sun into Brawl I have seen, I think. So for what it's worth, it is a solid set, though I'd advise reading through some more recent sets if you want to get an idea of what's expected now. Learning how to pull it off comes with practice, as you're probably already aware.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
DOCTOR N. TROPY

Time manipulation as a concept had largely fallen by the wayside after Rool's Father Time, which while full of potential, felt nigh impossible to play due to the implications of some input combinations. Smady was brave enough to bring back the concept five contests later, and not only pull it off to a much more believable (and readable...!) level, but throw in some terrific concepts as well. Tropy comes equipped with what are essentially six save files to be used for storing the projectiles he can arrange onstage. The number of ways he can arrange his stage-erasing projectiles to counter different approaches by placing different layouts under different saves is quite something. While his opponent is busy tip-toeing around one layout, Tropy can either add even more projectiles to the mix to make dodging a living hell, or simply switch to a second or third save, forcing opponents in previously safe areas into one loaded with traps. His projectile manipulation with moves like grab is simply icing on this delicious cake. Banny may suck in attention like quicksand, but N. Tropy deserves just as much recognition for revitalizing the forgotten time-turning genre in a fresh, awesome way.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Real Money Auction House Man

Real Money Auction House Man is an original character based on the Real Money Auction House added in Diablo 3. You see, Blizzard got this brilliant idea that you could sell weapons for real money because they weren't already rolling in cash from World of Warcraft. That and it eliminates the weapons black market. Anyway, who said we couldn't just translate this to Brawl, anyway? In his appearence, Real Money Auction House Man(RMAHM) looks like a generic person, whatever you view that being.

STATS
Movement Speed- 30
Aerial Speed- 30
Weight- 10
Fall Speed- 10
Size- 6

RMAHM doesn't move like a normal character. He flies around like Super Sonic, with even tighter controls. He doesn't have aerials either, because he can use his regular attacks just fine in the air. His weight is just for show though, he doesn't actually take any knockback... most of the time. You see, everything RMAHM does has a cost, in real life money. As such, the game is hooked up to your bank account if you select him. Don't ask how we do this, it's pretty confidential stuff. It costs $4 a second for him to move at full Super Sonic speeds, though if you're more gentle with the controller you may not have to use that much money. In addition, when he would take knockback, he instead drains money from your bank account based on how much knockback he would've taken. Just so you know, this money is largely sent to Blizzard Headquarters, with 30% going to a charity to get education for Plorf.

STANDARDS

Neutral Attack​
RMAHM takes out a remote and presses a button, shocking everyone else on screen and dealing them 10% per second as long as you hold A. Nobody can move during this time, but this drains $3 per second from your bank account. This has no lag on either end by the way, so feel free to use as much as you can pay for.

Dash Attack​
RMAHM goes into warp speed, dealing 30% and knockback that KOs at 50% to anyone who comes in contact with him, and now he moves twice as fast as Super Sonic. In addition, he loops through blast zones, so now there is literally no potential danger of suiciding. This does cost $10 per second though so use wisely.

Forward Tilt​
RMAHM pulls out a sword the length of Giga Bowser and slams it forwards, dealing 38% and knockback that KOs around 20%. This attack is really damn fast, but it takes $15 per use, so if you whiff it can be rather... costly. :awesome:

Up Tilt​
RMAHM pulls out Diablo and holds him over his head, being able to throw Diablo as though he were a small item. Foes, however cannot pick up Diablo at all. You can throw Diablo to deal 40% and knockback that KOs at 45%, after which he sticks around and actively pursues foes, using Giga Bowser's moveset. Diablo costs $25 to make and $5 per second for continued service. You can make him disappear by pressing the Up Tilt again.

Down Tilt​
Have you gone and read Robo Link MKIII? If you haven't, WHY? If you have, you'll understand what this move does. You see, when you use this move, the Sex Bot from the moveset spawns onstage, but instead of giving you that ridiculous sword when he dies, he just hands it to you, and you get to use it as a weapon. It costs $4 a swing though, and $20 for delivery. In addition, Sex Bot will fight alongside you at a cost of $3 per second and can be dismissed with another input of this move.

SMASHES

Forward Smash​
RMAHM man snaps his fingers, causing Mewtwo(the DM and JOE set) to spawn right in front of him, and use his final smash. You're completely immune to it, and afterwards Mewtwo will fight alongside you until you press the input again. Charging this input will spawn an additional Mewtwo for each second of charge, each using their Final Smashes in succession. This has a pretty steep cost, between $30-$80 and $8 per Mewtwo per second. But really, you have 3 Mewtwos on your side. How do you lose?

Up Smash​
RMAHM throws a Cheeseburger up into the air, which deals 24%-33% and knockback that KOs at 75%-20%. The Cheeseburger flies up off the top of the screen, after which we hear a familiar voice yell "CHEEEEEEEEEESEBURGEEEEEEEEEEEEER" and suddenly MasterWarlord appears holding the Cheeseburger. He proceeds to crash into the stage, destroying it completely. The stage will respawn after 10 seconds, so you'll probably take off a few stocks with this. It costs a whopping $200 though, so be careful with this move. You wouldn't want to waste it on Baron or Hoppip or something.

Down Smash​
RMAHM uses Emidius' Up Special. This costs $40.

GRABS
RMAHM's grab is absurdly fast, and has an invisible hitbox that extends half the length of Final Destination. It's sort of like Snake's Up Tilt, only slightly shorter ranged. When he grabs the foe, he pulls out a betting Jar with the words "Pay me $20 and I will eat this loser." You can press A to do just that, RMAHM eats the poor sap (taking out a stock) and pay out $20. The grab itself also costs $10, so don't throw it out carelessly. Also, you don't have any throws because why would you need them with a pummel like that?

SPECIALS

Neutral Special: Summon Valozarg​
RMAHM snaps his fingers and a VALOZARG spawns on the stage, costing you $12 per second. You can spawn as many Valozargs as you want this way, making this move absurdly potent if you want it to be. The problem is that you can't actually dismiss them, but meh who cares. Spend AWAY

Side Special: Barge​
RMAHM pulls out a barge as show above from out of nowhere. The Barge is the size of Final Destination, and he swings it like a sword, dealing 50% and knockback that KOs at 2%. This isn't as fast as the Forward Tilt and costs the same amount of money, but it doesn't require as much sheer cash to rack up the damage. So maybe if you aren't actually trying to win, you might wanna use this attack instead.

Up Special: Stock Up​
RMAHM gains an additional stock with no lag whatsoever. Doing this costs $50, but there are times when this will come in handy. Totally. You really do need those extra stocks, just like Plorf needs that education. Speaking of Plorf...

Down Special: Plorf​
RMAHM waves his hand, and the nearest opponent turns into Plorf. I believe this speaks for itself really. Costs $50.

FINAL SMASH
ROAR OF THE BANK ACCOUNT
Upon using his final smash, the match will end with RMAHM as the winner. But at what cost? Well, as a matter of fact, it's your entire bank account. You're whole bank account is emptied to use this attack, but don't worry it's not all bad. Why? Because the foe's bank accounts are all completely emptied into yours. And you WON right, and isn't that what life is all about?

smashbot226

Smash Master
Holy balls advertisements ahoy

TRAAAANSEXUAL FROM TRAAAAANSYLVANIA

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13115209&postcount=593

I'd be lying if I said that one of my own illusion/invisibility sets (Zoroark) was inspired by Pennywise. Mainly because I was less caught up in reading the sets of others and focusing on my own sets/personal life, but I digress. After catching up and reading the entirety of Pennywise, I can safely say that if I did read it beforehand, it'd certainly be one of my biggest inspirations for Zoroark.

Before I get to any actual mechanic or move in Pennywise's moveset, I'd like to point out how Kupa highlights every variation of the word "float" with red hue. If that isn't trying to keep the moveset faithful to the character, I don't know what is. Anyway, he places a lot of emphasis on balloons, blood, and overall floatiness, but he does so with mechanics quite unlike anything we've seen this contest. He doesn't just limit it to simply spamming balloons across the map; moves like Dair and Dsmash give Pennywise more than enough options to accomplish his goal. Kupa basically made a set that accomplishes what I was trying to do with Mr. Freeze except without sucking.

Overall, Pennywise is certainly in-character in moveset, playstyle, and how Kupa basically words the entire thing. Ever since its introduction into MYMX earlier on, several people have agreed that it's one of the better sets of this contest and is the highlight of the invisibility mechanic that seems to find its way into at least one moveset per user. Even Warlord liked it. You know a set is worth a vote if HE likes it, let alone a super vote. Give this a look and you'll likely agree that it deserves a spot in at LEAST the Top Ten.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Trainer JOSEF!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13218461&postcount=698

99.9% of commenters who have read this set haven't do so in completion, either due to tl;dr or because they were swallowed by the mountain of text, with its only rival being the Pony Storm. All of this is the effort of a single user, which makes the entire set even more of a showcase of how dedicated Joe is toward this contest.

For the ignorant ones who missed out on the entire page of Joe, it's basically six movesets in one, all of them about fifth generation Pokemon. He does add some tactical playstyle in that you're only allowed to choose three of your Pokemon to bring into the fray. It gets even more tactical when you realize that if one of your Pokemon gets KO'd, they stay out. Naturally, this emphasizes careful gameplay on the user's part which either complements or plays against who you're playing as. This would be a problem if all of Joe's sets were relatively generic but in a feat of willpower, he manages to differentiate and highlight every Pokemon in a different role. Granted, this in itself is a given anyway, but the fact that he managed to do so SIX TIMES OVER is a real indication of dedication on Joe's part.

However, what Joe manages to do with this moveset that impresses me, other than giving six movesets actual Pokemon moves and applying their abilities somehow, is that he provides background information on each Pokemon. As a fellow trainer- and I can assume to other Pokemon fans- I respect Joe for going the extra mile to make us care about the Pokemon and where they came from. Throughout his journey, Joe managed to pick up the Pokemon he used in this set, and bringing up such inspiration for a moveset is commendable. Hell, even the icing on the cake- the ending- which was completely unnecessary to begin with was a treat for the reader.

Do yourself a favor and read at least two sets. Or three. Hell, even the full set. Because this much work doesn't deserve anything short of a super vote.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
THREE GENS LATER- STILL NU
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13203674#post13203674

I think it's safe to say that ForwardArrow came out of NOWHERE when he posted this set. Which happened to be his first moveset after lurking since MYM2. Huh. And despite a plethora of theories on who he is, there's still no evidence suggesting he's someone's alt. But this isn't an ad about Arrowgate, this is about Hoppip. Arrowgate is for another time.

When it got put up, Nick, Smaddy, and Rool agreed that Hoppip was an excellent newcomer set, with Smaddy even wondering if he's Darth Meanie in disguise. That was enough of an indicator for me to stop what I was doing and look through the set in its entirety. Well to my surprise (And slight jealousy), I found a well done rush set that revolves around annoying and debuffing the foe as much as possible for an easy KO. While Hoppip's stats suggest otherwise- the lowest possible weight and a very low speed does not a good rushdown make- his moves actually compliment his playstyle really well. And that grab... oh man, that grab. Opens up so many opportunities in conjunction with his spores.

While ForwardArrow might not get as much attention as a few other users, he's still a force to be reckoned with and considering a set with as much quality as Hoppip's is his FIRST one, I can safely say that he's got more planned for the future.

half_silver28

Smash Ace

Krillin by Junahu

Oh Krillin, you so fail (/Krillin owned count). Junahu's set captures Krillin's weakness and cowardly tactics incredibly well. While he CAN go on the offensive, it won't do all too much: this is KRILLIN we're talking about. A head-on assault will likely get you killed. With Krillin you're advised to run away, maybe jumping in for an attack here or there, and continuing to flee. He's got plenty of projectiles to toss out, and most notably, his Tri-Form technique, which lets him create two clones of himself. Krillin and his two clones have 1/3rd of normal Krillin's power (not that he has that much anyway), so foes have no idea which Krillin's the real one. Once Krillin manages to get it charged, the Solar Flare will give Krillin 3 seconds to hide, after which the camera will not follow him until the foe finds him. Then he's got a chance to jump out in a surprise attack, and use his signature Destructo Disk to get the "cheap" KO. Playing Krillin might be frustrating at times but hey, what'd you expect from the guy with an "owned count" in the stratosphere? Regardless, this is a really fun and in-character set that's very much worth a vote, or even a Supervote.

And by the way. The MYM Awards nomination period ends tonight at Midnight EST. So GET YOUR NOMS IN.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

MARINA LITEYEARS, BY GCUBEDUDE

Welp, blatant character bias ahooooy~.
When I saw that someone finally made a proper set for Marina Liteyears, the awesome main character of what's blatantly the best game on the N64, I just had to get off my butt and read that s**t like motherf**king fist of the north star. And much to my surprise, it turned out that the set itself is totally solid in it's own right! Marina is very much an in-smash moveset, with thankfully no real gimmicks other than making the most of what she does best: grabbing and throwing. There's some other more obvious traits here and there, like being able to easily grab and parry projectiles, preventing her from being overwhelmed by the usual projectile storms. But on top of just that, she also has a focus on shield-breaking, something that I haven't seen explored upon too often, but a nice touch that greatly increases the depth of her playstyle. And even on top of THAT, she has the unique ability to alternate her grabs between the foreground and background, topping off her intention of being the essential close-range fighter. Everything feels totally in-character, and doesn't resort to fanciful gimmcks and mechanics. As far as classic fighting-game style movesets go,(as opposed to the glorified 2D MOBA sets of the norm) the Ultra Intergalactic Cybot G is most definitely worth a read. And you should read it, given how criminally overlooked it is. :c

CHARLOTTE BY KATAPULTAR

aaand easily on the opposite end of the previous' spectrum, comes Charlotte by the one and only Katapultar. This may come as a real shock, but easily one of my favorite movesetters of all time has to be the Kat man himself. Well, at the very least, he's a definite guilty pleasure. Maybe it's because I'm one of the few people capable of understanding his incredibly bizarre sense of humor, but a little bit of me gets giddy every time Kata posts new content, and what strange wonders it will withhold. But enough about the man himself, onto his set! Charlotte, for all it's obvious shortcomings, still manages to be pretty entertaining as a set. While people like DM and DM's horrible attempt at an alt account would want you to think it's the absolute worst thing ever, mostly due to it being OOC, and by "OOC" I mean, "DEAR GOD, WHY DOES SHE SWALLOW THEM WHOLE, SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BITE THEIR HEADS OFF, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS IN THE SHOW, RUINED FOREVER (mad)", it's still definitely worth a look through for it interesting ideas it presents. Charlotte's "secondary" form is essentially a giant wall that not only blocks anything in it's path, but makes whatever space she's occupying an essential death zone thanks to her scary attacks that can even hit you from the background! Her main goal is to pretty much corner the opponent from all ends, and then finally swallow and digest their supple little bodies. You can make this easier by covering the foes in delicious laggy chocolate before going in for the kill.
As for Charlotte's "main" form, she doesn't really do much besides act as the character's hitbox, and her only purpose is to eat snacks to make herself heavier and all around, just avoid dying. The fact that your adversaries don't actually want to hit the main body itself, but rather it's tiny, vulnerable hitbox makes for some interesting battle plans. It's a real game changer, and makes the relative OPness of Charlotte's second form somewhat justified.
In total, Charlotte is a flawed gem, but certainly not as bad as people may want you to think. While it doesn't quite translate the character itself as well as it could, as it's own moveset it's perfectly successful in what it wants to do. Please, give it a shot.

AIDAN BY CHRIS LEONHEART
And last but certainly not least is easily the most underrated set of the contest, Aidan. The tale of Aidan is but a sad one, and I'm not talking of his meaty backstory either. The general reception to this set was less than enthusiastic, causing Leonheart to go on a drunk bender that nearly destroyed the entirety of MYM and the fabric of the universe itself. But this isn't about that. MYM, in the end, is mainly about entertainment, and thus the main goal is to entertain the reader in some fashion. Thus while some folks find enjoyment in one thing, others may find enjoyment in another. So while we have movesets intended to blow away readers with massive, deep playstyles, this particular set is all about story. Starting off, Leonheart is an OC, a sadly dying breed these days. And on top of that, Aidan also has attached to him a detailed, well thought out story to sink your teeth into. In fact, I'd say the actual character itself, and not necessarily his moves, make up the meat of this entry. As we can tell, Leonheart is a writer at his very soul, and he truly shines as the resident storyteller of MYM. Like his sets or not, you can't deny some of the characters he thinks up are some of the most interesting in the pantheon of movesetting.
Yet sadly, the common reaction to Leonheart's storycrafting is "LOL TL;DR" and they just skip right to the set itself with no context. Call me a sucker for the differing, but I don't like this mindset at all. Movesets in the end are essentially hypothetical attack lists for an imaginary game, but it's the execution and variety that makes things truly interesting. Sets like Aidan try to make things varied by actually attempting to tell a story along with the action, and I personally think that's the main trait it should be judged by. Sure, the set itself may not be too special, but please don't just toss it aside. There's a whole world contained in this simple set, and the sheer amount of effort gone into it is something to be admired. The fact that such sets are being actively discouraged from the community is pretty lame, and I hope Leonheart continues what he does best.

Smady

Smash Master
Eligible to Vote

Smash Daddy
MasterWarlord
n88_2004
BKupa666
Junahu

MarthTrinity
phatcat203
Katapultar
ForwardArrow
Davidreamcatcha
Hyper_Ridley
Nicholas1024
smashbot226
half_silver28
tirkaro
KingK.Rool
Getocoolaid
LegendofLink
ProfPeanut
Kholdstare

This is the current list of those eligible to vote for MYMX, now and forever.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Pennywise the Dancing Clown

Pennywise was one of Kupa's 2 big sets made this contest, alongside Baron. Quite the set, full of complexity and depth we come to expect from our sets today, alongside the playstyle we all use to judge the quality of a set. It's not just that though, Pennywise's gameplay is so fitting to the character. He's an incredibly unsettling and unpredictable foe, you never know when you're being chased and fighting a shadow, or you're fighting the real thing. He can also give all these little hints just to throw you off further and is truly a terrifying foe. He's quite terrifying as an opponent, fitting to a horror movie villain. That's of course not even getting into the set itself's sheer brilliance. Little things like blood in the eyes forcing the foe to dash and dashing over blood making the foe trip are fantastic touches. It is among the best efforts of the entire contest, and clearly worthy of a Super Vote. I'm not just going to try to compromise that here, because that's what I'm doing and I'm sure a lot of you are too.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Bloody hell, so soon? Okay, stopgap advertisements ahoy. I'll have my top ten - which doubles as ten advertisements - up by tomorrow, probably, but I'm not about to risk losing my whole voting privileges...

So, here are three sets I didn't comment but I read and really liked

TEAM PEDESTAL

How surprised I was to find that when he took on the challenge of making a Hugo-like moveset, PC made it less of a gangbang of overlapping, asymmetrical and thoroughly clumsy interactions and more of a sort of fast-paced chess game; he neatly sidestepped the usual complexity of the trope's controls by making most of the character quite self-managing, and at the same time entirely interactable - the reach of AI into this moveset is very limited. The forced awkwardness of the teamwork this control scheme produces is ideal for this rather mismatched and often-disfunctional team, but the rewards of ably managing your characters - which is another way of saying keeping them from killing one another - are very great, both gameplay-wise and characterization-wise. Although the moveset could have turned out stilted or unintelligible like a few of PC's past movesets, it is never less than organic, functional, and patently logical. And being composed of very logical interactions is crucial in movesets of this sophistication.

VENOM

How dull this moveset is! How generic his attacks, how unflowing his specials! He's downright overpowered! He's also on a very strict timer, fighting frantically before he loses control of his own body and is forcibly put down by his cold cruel watchers. Venom is a versatility character indeed who is incredibly mobile, powerful, and skilled at approaching. Even his most simple moves - say, that clumsy suicide FAir that is nevertheless obligatory as a last-ditch effort to take down the foe before losing your mind - are quite inextricable from his pitiless but also somehow desperate flow of combat. Why should he be a versatility character? Why, because he needs to be prepared for every situation, every opposing style. He needs to close every gap, follow up every combo, and turn around any situation. If he dawdles, his time will run out. Venom is the rare character who would be even more fun to play against: what's as intense as feverishly stalling for time against an incredibly hostile, powerful and quite desperate enemy?

KING BARBOVOR

Nobody advertised Barbovor yet, right? As far as Warlord sets go, this just pips Clayface for me; Barbovor's method of combat, which consists largely of impaling all of the moving beings on the stage on his various appendages like a series of wonky shish-kebabs, is not limited by the constraints of character (which also limits me to a picture of Dodoria, unfortunately). Warlord simply spilled over from the static model of Dodoria into an elaborate image of careful, deliberate spacing and imposed distance, turning the game into a complex puzzle - both literally and metaphorically! - for the foe, who has to navigate a veritable maze to make any progress. It's an archetypically Warlordian set, twistier and more dynamic than Clayface, less tangled up in faulty characterization than Wario (this is an ideal Warlordian character, after all!), and not as tiringly schematic as Dirty Bubble. Rather than having an option for every situation, Barbovor creates a situation with every option.

Also, read these sets! Tetra, Enrico Pucci & Whitesnake, Storm, Omastar, General Grievous, Mismagius. I'd love to give them each an ad, but I'm strapped for time, running out of words, and still saving the biggest burst of enthusiasm for my top ten. But definitely give them a look! They're all excellent and/or underrated - and if you want "ads", I'll just direct you to my comments for them in my comment zone below.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
My final ad is for Portal Man by Nick. It's a pretty entertaining read, by any means. It basically tells the story of Portal 2 through the eyes of GLaDOS, the unnamed narrator, Cave "Pictures of Spiderman" Johnson, and Wheatley while also giving information on the moves themselves, which is pulled off pretty well. The playstyles not anything too complex, but who cares about that when youhave GLadOS singing it to you in the style of "Still Alive"? Yes, it is cheesey, but that's the charm of it! I'd vote for it.

Or G-man wil find you.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Last Minute Ad Time!

Baron K. Roolenstein

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12950722&postcount=421

This set is is good for a number of reasons, magnet interactions, floating shenanigans, rolling barrels, etc, but what really sets it apart is it's core concept. An amazingly simple trap, just two points with a line in between them, but it can be used in any of several dozen ways that are all up to the player's imagination. It's versatile, but it is focused into a base strategy, which is what any set touting versatility should strive to be. The fact that the trap is balanced by being able to hurt the Baron himself add a wonderful dynamic that allows the opponent to make use of the barriers, if they can get around the Baron's focused methods of using it first, however.

Rainbow Dash

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13323833&postcount=859

Whether you like it or not, ponies are popular, and nothing is going to change that. That's not why I'm advertising this set though. Strip away all of the girlishness inherent with the character and you are left with a set that not only knows exactly what it wants to do, but goes out of its way to make it as fun as possible for the player to play as. Something that I think a lot of MYMers forget is that we are making these sets for a hypothetical game, and for a game to be successful it has to be fun to play. Rainbow Dash isn't overly complex, and the interactions are simple, but the set manages to create an image in my head of actually playing the set and enjoying myself greatly, regardless of what series the character is affiliated with.

Krillin

If there's one thing that I always love about Junahu sets, it's the fact that for Jun, characterization and playstyle are one and the same. Krillin is a weak, crafty coward, so he fights like a weak, crafty coward, playing a passive aggressive hit and run game until he can finish the opponent off during a Solar Flare. Duplicate interactions (before duplicates were recognized as the big fad this contest at that) make the hit and run game much more interesting, as focusing on the one running away may just be a wild goose chase if the real Krillin is the one mindlessly attacking you, making the unique AI of the duplicates extremely useful and very well done.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
**** doing another image ad

Redead by Majora_787 is one of his standard movesets. Instead of the awesome OoT redeads, it's for a Redead Knight from Twilight Princess. It shows how consistent Majora is, much like Kupa, and since Majora has returned to MYM it's an improvement from his earlier works. It's also the most you could get out of a simple Zelda enemy. It's pretty down-to-earth and easy to grasp, fitting for a mindless undead drone. If you're going to vote for any Majora set, keep this one in mind.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Dry Bowser

One of the earliest sets in this contest, Dry Bowser has the ability to cancel out of a lot of his moves in order to perform others. Though he's quite the melee fighter, his slow--with-charging fireballs, smashes and other fire-based moves add depth when coupled with his ability to attack while skidding forward or simply collapse into a pile of bones in the middle of any move. Save for the grab, it's not ridiculously complex or fancy, but perhaps there's just something in good ol' movesets like this that I find appealing.

Twilight Sparkle

Why as TS been ignored like this? She's got very neat interactions with her projectiles and force fields, creating giant death cages or hurting people even as they're away from you. The energy blasts are something, becoming more powerful the further they travel, which makes it a primary KO move when you consider all you can do with them. She can stop her projectiles, reposition them, redirect them and bounce them off her forcefields to keep them going; she also has some decent spacing game to make up for her lack of melee moves.

Sakurai

Yes, it's a totally whacked-out set. But its very variety of unique insane moves make it sound very fun to play as while still being a powerful fighter. The very idea of tilting the stage in order to KO characters is hilarious enough, but coupled with his moves that spawn items and/or indirectly disable escaping from this shenanigan, this becomes a very interesting way to win the game. Also love the writing style; oh, Sakurai, you.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Smash Revolution, folks. Do me and your eyes a big favour and switch to it while reading this Top 10.

Honourable mentions, for what they're worth, to come at the end!

Edgar (BKupa666)

A shove here, a pathetic little thing of a headbutt there, maybe a jab of the ol' pitchfork - these are the raw materials that Kupa uses to assemble a moveset for a man who never comes closer to fighting than trying to do away with a couple of kittens. Edgar is incapable of fighting in the conventional sense. He doesn't KO... he gets rid of his foe, either by floating them up up and away or by simply sending them careening off the side of the stage, quite asleep and entirely harmless.

He's a clumsy fighter, naturally, and his gameplan reeks of redundancy, of brilliant ideas that overlap each other in silly, over-the-top ways - why, just to be sure he rids himself to the foe, he'll not only put them to sleep and stash them in his motorcycle, he'll also stuff them in a bag with some extra soup for good measure! And just to be extra sure, here, have an umbrella! Edgar is quite preoccupied with the state of his foe, and his moveset obsessively records the foe's presence, location, and disposition, and how you can mess around with it. Kupa cut his teeth on Disney movesets, making messy, sprawling movesets out of props and in-jokes. Here there is no sprawl, and the mess is cannily, winkingly intentional.

Teferi (LegendofLink)

LegendofLink has quietly put together one of the most interesting bodies of work in MYM today. His movesets tend to dole out incredibly interesting ideas in the Specials and then proudly, even a little bit cockily, supplement them with a whole slate of easily digestable and manageable in the standards. Pucci, Commander Shepard, Gallade, Yanmega - fascinating implementations of this idea, every one of them.

But in Teferi, LoL gives up on digestion and manageability and puts every single input to explicit use. Whatever the opponent does, Teferi foresees it - Teferi prevents it or cancels it or ignores it. Whatever Teferi does multiplies, coming from too many angles at too many moments to be stopped. He operates in a series of precisely-wound starts and stops, twisting his way through the match, slippery and elusive as water and air.

LoL certainly chose a very good character to throw restraint out the window; if the calculating Teferi can't be counted on to make complex what should be simple and straightforward, who can?​

Clare (half_silver28)

Everything's quiet on the Western front regarding this set. Oh, it's another Silver set for a ridiculously specific anime heroine with slavish devotion to its source material. Don't even need to read it to know what we'll think of it.

And yet... and yet... what Clare does is neither innovative nor absorbable, but it is dynamic. She's a stalwart of a character, approaching constantly, hammering away with her sword, turning the match into a game of prediction and punishment for both parties - in other words, single combat at point-blank range. Clare is the archetypical aggressive character, and delights in flinging the foe down again and again. Tasty prone abuse, as Silver puts it.

This is essentially how Clare functions. But whether she does it with brutal force, overwhelming the foe with the sheer force of her increasingly clumsy hits? Or hyper-aggressively, hopping around and pursuing like a manic Marth on crack? Or cautiously, with restraint, probing into the foe's weak spots over a longer period of time? Or in full-on demon mode, turning her into a roiling, impassable mass that pushes foes inexorably across the stage (providing her footing isn't thrown off)? She always plays the same way and always plays differently. Switching from style to style is not a matter of mastering different characters. This is a subdued, suitable, and deeply effective sort of versatility.​

Wailord (ForwardArrow)

Is... is it a serious moveset? Can I get away with calling it a serious moveset? Okay, okay, it has hitboxes, hurtboxes and stocks - I think this'll fly.

The match starts and it seems that Wailord's sprawled beached body is hanging over the edges of Smashville. Hitting it seems to be doing fine, although it's irritatingly enough flicking its tail, tracking its shield, getting up into the air and then dropping back down like a ton of bricks.

Wailord is a sad specimen out of water, but as the match goes on and the sea reclaims the stage, he edges back into his element, shoving back into it in a vaguely primordial way. Underwater, Wailord is quite content. He'll drift under the stage and doze, perhaps. Or he'll lunge out of his sea in a truly terrifying display. He'll flood it all and drown you, or he'll swallow you up as though you were Geppetto. Would Gyarados be stranger than this? Maybe so. But in ForwardArrow's hands, the unusual and perhaps even impossible becomes not only compelling but wonderfully evocative. Welcome to Wailord Mode, and to hell with how characters are supposed to work. It's bold and brilliant and very beautiful, and that from the hands of a relative newcomer. We could all do with more boldness and brilliance, and when we see it it's to be applauded and encouraged.

DarkMega (darth meanie)

The concept of insanity distilled in moveset form - is it any surprise this appeals to me? Any surprise that its mix of unique, jarringly new ideas and conspicuously simple and accessible moveset awe me?

DarkMega starts out cold, reserved, distant from the foe, littering the space dividing them with a heavy rain of projectiles. Sooner or later, though, he's going to answer to the beckon and call of power - he's going to seize some cheap effect to scrounge an early KO or punish a faulty approach, and once you've had one taste of power it's hard to resist more. DarkMega is encouraged to not hold back once he's gotten started and a toll starts to be exacted on his body; before long he's in kamikaze mode, a dizzying mobile and unstable brand of camper.

But the temptation is not just his. The foe is faced with a choice: stay pure and die, or corrupt your ideals, taint your self-control, give in to the lure of toxic power, and stand a chance at defeating this agent of darkness. Strike me down with all of your anger, and become a Sith Lord! Logically, a clever player leaves the darkchips alone. Logically, power is not acceptable at the price of control. And yet it happens again and again and again, because that's human nature, and that's what DarkMega taps into in his one-sentence projectiles and practical, workmanlike rundown of animations and effects.

Sid's Toys (MasterWarlord)

Lately, even more than usual, Warlord has taken to pillaging his own repertoire of past tricks. It's as if he sets out resolved to make the same set over and over again, only to find once he gets started that he's working with a different character - and promptly to turn that character into a vast, very precise map, or maybe a puzzle. Or even a Rubik's Cube.

But nobody could claim that Sid's Toys is Warlord Set #512. Although he litters every single character with some form of grab, here the effect is not so much to manhandle the foe as to cling to them, like a bunch of creepy little children. The toys are disfunctional as a team. They fling one another about willy-nilly as well as the foe and are sacrificed in often-vain attempts at early, cheap KOs. We are peeking into Sid's mind, looking at the imaginative if vaguely sick games he plays when nobody is looking.

There's no need for me to talk about interconnectivity and playstyle and flow, because we all know what Warlord does and how well he does it. But where his worst sets are nothing but sprawling memory games, messy brain barfs that serve to dazzle but not represent much of anything at all, his best are transcendental, have unparallelled depth, practically represent whole games all on their own. Every move creates a new situation, as I've said, and this playtime is limited only by the player's imagination (and cruelty).​

Krillin (Junahu)

He must be talking to 18... there must be something he really doesn't want to do (WHY NOT? I WILL!)

The most clever thing Junahu does in this moveset is not making Krillin into a laughingstock. Although his relative incompetence is palpable, it's not a sticking point. Junahu plays it straight - or maybe just a little bit jagged. In any case, Krillin evidently takes himself quite seriously, and it's capturing that approach to himself as well as to fighting that makes this a set that runs strictly on the basis of characterization.

I say strictly, but of course, as in all the best sets in this vein, character and playstyle are blurred. Krillin's KOs are accidents or tricks. This set hinges on a choice presented to the player: will you do what Krillin does, charging stupidly into battles he can't possibly win and finding yourself stunned when you lose? Or will you use that big bald noggin of yours, as he himself has been known to do from time to time (and not just as a bludgeon), and outwit the horribly stupid generic DBZ villain staring you down? This is the rare playstyle to serve as both a commentary on its subject material and a paring-down to essentials of its source's physics and flow. Junahu's three MYMX sets are all variations of a single theme, and all absolutely brilliant, but Krillin is the one who crisscrosses everybody's criteria most deftly.​

Garbodor (Smash Daddy)

This loathsome, trashy Pokemon should have no spot on my top ten, but the movesets of Smash Daddy at their best have a tendancy to worm their way under my skin. They display an analytical and schematic mind the likes of which I haven't encountered since an up-and-coming MYMer by the name of MasterWarlord posted a moveset for Voldo.

Garbodor's moveset takes the concept of liquid stage control to a most logical extreme - by taking out the liquid part and simply spreading Garbodor's own solid body across the stage in a filthy, disgusting mess. The messiness is deliberate and entirely necessary. The less logical and orderly your playing field, the better. The better to hide your hurtbox among your tricks and traps and set the foe on a vain dumpster-diving journey packed with unpleasant surprises and false starts (and, of course, false ends).

A Daddy moveset is never an easy pill to swallow, but where some of them get bogged down in a claustrophobic mathematical attack web, Garbodor stands tall, or perhaps keels over, resolutely and defiantly a mess - of a character, of a moveset, and of a playstyle. He's a triple threat.

Wukong (Hyper_Ridley)

HR's movesets usually seem to foam at the mouth with barely-concealed mockery of MYM's clumsy old tropes, and his two MYM X works take overused clichés that spawn countless tired set-up characters and spin them into practical-minded and ceaselessly aggressive movesets.

This is certainly the case with Wukong, who is offensive to the core, who seems to be practically bleeding copies as he continues his agile approach-and-pursue game, who cuts off escape routes and strikes from multiple sides at once, who can all but combo between his clones, carrying the foe along a wave of staffs, fists, and acrobatics.

As with Jalorda, HR uses only the most obvious ingredients and pays the very deepest respect to this platform we're all so fond of trampling. Unlike Jalorda, Wukong's playstyle is fueled by an innovative nucleus - he's not so much clockwork as jet-propelled. And feasible and creative and evocative and poetic and whatever other piece of praise I could here insert.

Vlad Plasmius (MasterWarlord and darth meanie)

There are an awful lot of good movesets out there.

There are movesets with distinct playstyles, with unique playstyles. There are movesets in which every attack ties into an overarching theme. There are movesets that allow every matchup to work differently and dynamically. There are movesets that say everything about their character just through the way they fight. There are movesets that would expand the scope of Brawl by their own inclusion. There are plenty of movesets that do most if not all of these.

But there aren't many movesets that also provide a commentary on MYM itself, as a contest, as they go.

Vlad Plasmius's opening line is "Oh, please, Daniel. Must I actually defeat you with one hand behind my back before you know you're outmatched?" With that line, this moveset is set up as no less than a duel - a rapping contest with Warlord and DM snatching the mike from one another like imperious children - a fight to the death over what's important, what works, who is right and validated and who is fading out.

The results are inconclusive. Warlord provides most of the flesh, DM the skeleton. This was never intended to be a joint moveset - doesn't that just say it all? - but with the heavy and the light intertwining here, Vlad emerges as the most innovative and also the most intuitive of the duplicate characters. We don't reel off into subtle genericism, nor do we plunge into a Warlordian maze-world. Instead, Vlad's duplicate game emerges as supremely interactive and utterly versatile.

In my humble but long-winded opinion, DM and Warlord have been two of the three best movesetters we've ever seen (the third being Junahu), and their collaboration results in one of the best movesets I've ever seen. Not just for its characterization, its originality, its playstyle, and its practicality, but for its groundshaking significance to us, who have followed MYM for long enough to know everything DM and Warlord stand for, respectively - and how big and yawning that gap is, how big a feat it is for Vlad to bridge it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom