• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Club Meeting - October 1, 2011

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Carpe Noctem

Singles

Bracket

1: Tirno ($8.00)
2: Kal ($5.00)
3: Gar ($2.00)
4: Red Shadow
5: MT
5: Anupam
7: perfect engrish
7: Noc
9: El Queso Grande
9: Ben
9: Natey Chan
9: Brown Link
13: Tak
13: Delx
13: SFRG

Doubles

Bracket

1: You Don't Want no Part of this ****! (Kal + Tirno)
2: F-ing F-airs and F-smashes (Noc + MT)
3: Nope (Ben + Delx)
4: Smegma (Anupam + perfectengrish)
5: Dark People (Brown Link + RedShadow)
5: We Don't Hate Sheik, we Just Fear It (Gentleman + Natey Chan)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Still waiting for the first time I don't get bracket ****ed in the first round.
Well, at least I didn't lose to my Sheik, lawl.

Kal

Smash Champion
Don't really know what constitutes not getting bracket ****ed for you when we have so many Marth and Sheik mains.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
what kinda conditions would you want me, Jose, to apply to the next tourney so that you won't leave with the feeling of being bracket ****ed?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Don't really know what constitutes not getting bracket ****ed for you when we have so many Marth and Sheik mains.
That is very true unfortunately. Even so, I think I'd rather have fought Ivan than MT in the first round. Marths that are better than me tend to also be far better at Marth dittos. We have all the same moves at our disposal, but the better Marth knows how to use them more efficiently. Sheik is also very frustrating to fight, but at least she doesn't also have a huge sword.

what kinda conditions would you want me, Jose, to apply to the next tourney so that you won't leave with the feeling of being bracket ****ed?
Seeding is honestly the only thing that could possibly prevent it. I'm not sure how this tourney was seeded, for the most part it seemed pretty fair, I just seem to have rotten luck with my first round match-ups. Clay got bracket ****ed harder than me at NSIC. We both had to face Tai first round, then he got King Mosquito and I got Hannah. I just wish I could fight someone at least closer to me in skill level for my first match so I'm not guaranteed to go straight to losers. Jose is still the only spacie main I've ever fought in tourney, and Falco is what I get the most practice against in friendlies.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
That is very true unfortunately. Even so, I think I'd rather have fought Ivan than MT in the first round. Marths that are better than me tend to also be far better at Marth dittos. We have all the same moves at our disposal, but the better Marth knows how to use them more efficiently. Sheik is also very frustrating to fight, but at least she doesn't also have a huge sword.

Seeding is honestly the only thing that could possibly prevent it. I'm not sure how this tourney was seeded, for the most part it seemed pretty fair, I just seem to have rotten luck with my first round match-ups. Clay got bracket ****ed harder than me at NSIC. We both had to face Tai first round, then he got King Mosquito and I got Hannah. I just wish I could fight someone at least closer to me in skill level for my first match so I'm not guaranteed to go straight to losers. Jose is still the only spacie main I've ever fought in tourney, and Falco is what I get the most practice against in friendlies.
that's not the way seeding works though... when you seed a bracket, you don't put people close in skill level together. you do the exact opposite in fact. you spread out the top players throughout the bracket so they don't have to play each other in the earlier rounds. if you're not a top player or a seed, you have a good chance of playing one first round.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
that's not the way seeding works though... when you seed a bracket, you don't put people close in skill level together. you do the exact opposite in fact. you spread out the top players throughout the bracket so they don't have to play each other in the earlier rounds. if you're not a top player or a seed, you have a good chance of playing one first round.
I do agree that that is the most logical way to do it. Honestly, I'd have to take another look at the bracket to decide how ****ed I was, its perfectly possible I'm exaggerating it. I judge based on the opponents players of similar or lesser skill than me played in the first round.
Since the seeding has to work that way, I guess I'm more upset I had to face both MT and Anupam in the same tourney out of the 3 opponents I fought.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad I came to this! (Pun intended.) Good to see the Austin melee scene alive and (falcon) kicking. Anupam, your Marth is solid, hopefully I can refine my game before we play again. I especially enjoyed doubles lol. You're a great teammate, Matt. And the post-meeting smashfest at Edgar's was too fun XD.

I created highlights (i.e. isolated individual sets) from the meeting broadcast, and they can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/noc0002/videos?kind=highlights. It's easy to upload highlights to YouTube; should I upload these to the UTsmashclub YT account?

Kal

Smash Champion
Eh, I would rather not fight against Falco in the grand finals every time. But you can't really choose. At least you know that Marth dittos are even. Marth vs. Sheik is 6-4 in Sheik's favor. Sheiks that are better than you will **** your Marth just as hard as Marths that are better than you, if not harder.

I would avoid thinking you're getting "bracket-****ed," though. There is a lot of players better than you so it's likely that, no matter what happens, you'll have a difficult time early on. Generally speaking, the only players who don't get bracket ****ed are the ones we give better seeds, and those players are the ones who normally place well in tournaments.

However, if you're complaining more about the matchup than the relative skill of the player (which is understandable, as Marth dittos are cumbersome), I'll do my best to have your first match be against someone who does not main Marth.

But I will also ask that player to use Marth against you. >_>

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
However, if you're complaining more about the matchup than the relative skill of the player (which is understandable, as Marth dittos are cumbersome), I'll do my best to have your first match be against someone who does not main Marth.
That'd be cool, thnx. As long as I don't have to start against another Marth main 3 tourneys in a row. Not saying I'd have any easier a time against someone like Ivan, but at least its not yet another Marth ditto.

Watched my matches on Clay's live stream, looks like I both tried to be overly aggressive with Link, which just doesn't work against Marth, and didn't get proper spacing. I should have just run away more and thrown crap, but that takes a lot of patience which I don't seem to possess. Anupam is just so good at making reads and keeping you away.

Top Bottom